What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL 2017 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread (1 Viewer)

FWIW, this time frame is really only a "red flag" period for me, like I view the combine.  I'm looking for reports of guys who aren't cutting it in tees and shorts much more than I'm looking for glowing reports.  I start really perking my ears up for FA sleepers when TC starts and the pads go on.  That's when I'll start taking some low cost risks on the WW.
I listen to what's said, and if it stays consistent into training camp those are the guys you want. This is also a good time to sell if you aren't sold on a 2-3rd year player. If devante Parker comes out and doesn't dominate or get the targets to be consistent his value will tank where as his stock has rebounded with multiple offseason puff pieces. There are still a lot of unproven guys out there that can get value in a trade but will be droppable if they don't get it done. DGB was getting mid firsts not that long ago after being nothing but hype his first two years. A guy can have an uptick in value (or be a buy low) because of some random offseason Roto blurb or local beat writer opinion after watching an ota practice. 

The Jets are no joke. They are making a B-line for the #1 pick and the possibility of a true franchise QB.
The joke is why would anyone write about the Jets in a positive fashion this year.  Its an offensive wasteland with no justification to draft any NYJ. 

One of my favorite threads is back for another edition. Once again I will be posting training camp and preseason news from any sources that I come across.  I'm kicking off a little earlier this year to include coverage on OTAs and minicamps.

I also appreciate the contributions that are made to this thread from all other FBG members and in years past there have been many who cover their local teams who have helped to make this thread a great success. 

Please feel free to add commentary or camp battles that you are interested in following or links to any other threads and news articles that will help make this the best source for ongoing information prior to the kick-off on the 2017 NFL season.

Prior years:

OFFICIAL 2016 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread

OFFICIAL 2015 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread

OFFICIAL 2014 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread

OFFICIAL 2013 Training Camp & Preseason: News & Tidbits Thread

* OFFICIAL * 2012 Training Camp / Preseason News & Tidbits Thread

2011 Training Camp / Preseason Observations, News & Tidbits Thread

Training Camp & Preseason Observations
MVP under your name doesn't even begin to start...

Kevin Bowen of Colts.com called TE Darrell Daniels a name to watch among the Colts' undrafted rookies.

It was a mild surprise when Daniels went undrafted out of Washington and the Colts don't have much tight end depth behind Jack Doyle and Erik Swoope. The Colts have been among the most accommodating teams to undrafted rookies in recent years, rostering at least one UDFA in 18 straight seasons. Bowen also mentioned UFDAs CB Dante Blackmon and RB Dalton Crossan as candidates to crack the 53-man roster.

Source: colts.com

Jun 25 - 1:02 PM

Adam Caplan reports the Eagles are "high" on fourth-round WR Mack Hollins.

Caplan added Philly's confidence in Hollins, as well as second-year UDFA Marcus Johnson, allowed them to cut Dorial Green-Beckham. Hollins is unlikely to make an impact this year behind Alshon Jeffery, Jordan Matthews, and Torrey Smith, but both Jeffery and Matthews are scheduled to be free agents after the season while Smith is on a year-to-year deal. If he proves himself this year, Hollins could find himself in a much bigger role as a sophomore. He is a good flier in rookie drafts.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Jul 3 - 10:13 AM

Torrey Smith is a zero, Matthews is not much and Jeffrey seems to always be hurt. What hurts Hollis is that he is great on special teams and sometimes guys like that never get a real chance to play WR.

Keeping my eye on the poor man's Mike Evans.

Seahawks second-year TE Nick Vannett is expected to play significantly more snaps in 2017.

The Seahawks brought back No. 2 TE Luke Willson on a one-year deal, but after being the No. 4 tight end as a rookie, Vannett is expected to elevate to No. 3 and could even challenge Willson. Both Willson and Jimmy Graham are in the final years of their contracts, so Vannett is someone to monitor in Dynasty leagues.

Source: Seattle Times

Jul 5 - 1:13 PM

Browns WRs coach Al Saunders praised second-year pro Ricardo Louis during minicamp.

"There's not a guy in that room that prepares any more diligently off the field at home than Ricardo," Saunders said. "He's really helped himself understanding what he has to do. ... He goes a hundred miles an hour and he is a talented young man." Saunders' words echo coach Hue Jackson, who said the No. 114 overall pick of last year's draft has "really improved." Louis caught 18 rookie passes on 36 targets/94 snaps. He's competing with all manner of riff raff for the No. 3 job.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Jul 8 - 9:35 AM

Cardinals WR J.J. Nelson improved his route running this offseason.

Nelson is coming off a strong finish to 2016, posting over 75 yards or a touchdown in the final five weeks. He struggled with efficiency despite his career year, catching under 46 percent of his targets and dropping six passes. There's not much in front of Nelson with rookie Chad Williams the only notable offseason addition, but he needs to hold off a healthy Jaron Brown to keep the No. 3 job.

Source: arizonasports.com

Jul 7 - 7:02 PM

games where Willie Snead played at least 70% of the Saints' offensive snaps last season, he averaged 8.7 targets, 6.4 catches, and 81.1 yards.

With the departure of Brandin Cooks, Snead figures to play in the slot in three-receiver sets and on the outside in two-receiver sets. Snead established himself as an elite route-runner in both the slot and outside his first two seasons. His current ADP is WR33, lower than his previous two finishes of WR30 and WR32. You can read more about Snead in Connor Allen's article "Your Need For Willie Snead" in the link below.

Source: Your Need for Willie Snead

Users who are viewing this thread