What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2022 Denver Bronco thread-- Well, there is always next year.... (1 Viewer)

What about Fields don’t you like? 

Personal eye ball test. But really feels like his first instinct is to run and 2nd is throw. I think that is something very difficult to coach out of someone by the time they get to NFL. 

Plays well in Sept-Nov. Dec-Feb not as well. Plus that only lasts 3-4 seasons except for a very few select athletes that Fields could be one of, but I would look elsewhere. 

Interesting takes on your GM. 6 rookie starters and the RB, OL, 2 LBs and CB are all good to great. Tough crowd.

Anyway....if you don’t blow out Detroit by 30 Fangio s/b fired immediately. With the injuries, 6 on Covid, 25 flu cases, zero healthy  playmakers....this should be a cakewalk for Denver.

BobbyLayne said:
Interesting takes on your GM. 6 rookie starters and the RB, OL, 2 LBs and CB are all good to great. Tough crowd.

Anyway....if you don’t blow out Detroit by 30 Fangio s/b fired immediately. With the injuries, 6 on Covid, 25 flu cases, zero healthy  playmakers....this should be a cakewalk for Denver.
I hope. Big money on Denver and Tenn tomorrow.

While we’re at it get rid of George Payton for not taking Justin Fields.

If it’s Cousins Payton will be run out of town. He passed on Fields and now he has to go big.

No!

This season has gone exactly how I expected with Teddy. Very average and boring. Imagine how much more exiting things would be with Fields. Now we may or may not get Rodgers and we are going to have to pay dearly for him if we do. He may decide to quit after year one. 

I agree with you regarding Shurmur. 

What about Fields don’t you like? 

Care to comment on Fields now? 

Or was that ####-show he put on so exciting it took your breath away?

This is like saying "Care to comment on Elway now?" after Elway's first season. Manning still has the record for most interceptions in his first year. I get it, these guy's had better pedigree but they still looked awful year one. 

I still feel sick the Broncos didn't pick Fields. He may end up being a bust but right now I see a guy who has everything I want in a QB. I would have loved picking Fields and still have the option to get Rogers next year if we choose. I'm not exited about mortgaging the future for Rogers who could dip out at anytime.  I'm not exited about getting Wilson. He seems more like a cheerleader than a true leader to me. 

I'd rather win a Super Bowl organically rather than buying one like we did with Manning. It was fun but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when we won it with Elway. 

Mongidig said:
This is like saying "Care to comment on Elway now?" after Elway's first season. Manning still has the record for most interceptions in his first year. I get it, these guy's had better pedigree but they still looked awful year one. 

I still feel sick the Broncos didn't pick Fields. He may end up being a bust but right now I see a guy who has everything I want in a QB. I would have loved picking Fields and still have the option to get Rogers next year if we choose. I'm not exited about mortgaging the future for Rogers who could dip out at anytime.  I'm not exited about getting Wilson. He seems more like a cheerleader than a true leader to me. 

I'd rather win a Super Bowl organically rather than buying one like we did with Manning. It was fun but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did when we won it with Elway. 

That loving feeling will not last forever, you'll be okay soon enough.  Unless his legs grow a brain and he all of a sudden learns how to make good decisions, he's a great pass by Paton and the Broncos.

You don't need years to see whether they have that part or not.  Time will tell, but I feel certain.  Not sure why you're banging the drum so hard, without any real evidence.  I mean God, did he look awful yesterday.  QBs need a lot more than just the tools.  This isn't college anymore. 

Now let's get this out of the way, I am glad Denver lost yesterday and is looking to end the season with two more losses coming up. There was no point in winning meaningless games since this team wasn't going to the playoffs no matter what.

I thought Drew did fairly well yesterday. It was exciting to see the ball going longer than 10-15 yards in the air actually in the vicinity of a WR--even though half the time they dropped it. The problem with this approach is they never established what makes this team tick and that is the running game. The coaches never adapted--yesterday was clearly not a Melvin game, so get him off the field.  The defense got gashed on the ground, but still produced three TO.'s.  The OL absolutely negated the one turnover the team got in Raider's territory, with back to back to back penalties. 

After the game it was embarrassing to see Vic's press conference. Not one positive thing to say about Lock yet, just weeks ago, Teddy had a way worse game with multiple TO's and he seemed to want to excuse them all away. We won't even go down the apparent McManus/Vic feud. This coach is old and holds grudges and that is not acceptable.  It is beyond time for Vic to go and take OC Pat with you. 

This team doesn't need a player overhaul. It has talent under contract. It has cap room and a lot of draft capital. It needs a coaching overhaul from top to bottom--young coaches with fresh ideas that play to the talent on the team not to the system the coach wants to bring in. 

Another disappointing season comes to an end. i thought Drew did a decent job yesterday, but he just hasn't had anyone there in Denver to help him develop. He protected the ball and made some good throws, but he continually falls back into back habits such as throwing the ball away too quickly and not letting the play develop. He throws off his back foot way too often, which results in inaccurate throws. I don't know if these are things that can be fixed at this point. 

As I said in the game thread--this is a young team, flush with cap room and draft picks. They locked up the WR corps with some key signings of Sutton and Patrick and don't forget Hamler will be back next year with Jeudy. The future is bright, but the off-season has a pretty big to do list. Denver needs to see the ownership situation resolved. The coaching staff needs to be assembled and a decision made about the QB position. I do not want Big Ben or Ryan. I would be happy with Wilson and to a lesser extent, Rodgers--just not sure there is a savior coming in this draft. 

This will be an exciting off-season. 

As I said in the game thread--this is a young team, flush with cap room and draft picks. They locked up the WR corps with some key signings of Sutton and Patrick and don't forget Hamler will be back next year with Jeudy. The future is bright, but the off-season has a pretty big to do list. Denver needs to see the ownership situation resolved. The coaching staff needs to be assembled and a decision made about the QB position. I do not want Big Ben or Ryan. I would be happy with Wilson and to a lesser extent, Rodgers--just not sure there is a savior coming in this draft. 

This will be an exciting off-season. 
Agree with the majority of this. 

Thoughts if Watson clears up his civil cases? I say bring him in if his legal problems are resolved. 

Agree with the majority of this. 

Thoughts if Watson clears up his civil cases? I say bring him in if his legal problems are resolved. 
Two problems with Watson:

Houston's asking price is so outlandish, no one will bite on it. You have to wonder if he does clear up his legal trouble, if he doesn't stay where he is, despite what his team has said his desires are.

Second--Paton is supposedly a "high character" type guy, so you have to believe he will not even consider Watson with his baggage. 

Two problems with Watson:

Houston's asking price is so outlandish, no one will bite on it. You have to wonder if he does clear up his legal trouble, if he doesn't stay where he is, despite what his team has said his desires are.

Second--Paton is supposedly a "high character" type guy, so you have to believe he will not even consider Watson with his baggage. 
I can't argue with either point. 

Extreme fear of hearing the bridge QB term (Ryan/Dalton/Winston etc) when it is a bridge to no where. 

It will be Rodgers or possibly Wilson.  He will have say in things, like the new coaching (OC at least).  Almost everything else is there, hard to say no to that.  It's a Brady move.  Get an OL or two to shore that up and you're loaded for a last couple of runs at it.

Manning gets in on ownership to help settle that rocking boat, not to mention help in getting one of those QBs.

If Paton gets a re-tread or god forbid, Zimmer, then night night Broncs.  (He won't, imo, I think he's very good and this was part of the plan all along, when they didn't get Rodgers last year -- no reason to fire Fangio before a season you're going to be lucky to play in one playoff game.)

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero

The #Broncos are finalizing a deal with #Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett to make him their new head coach, per sources. Contract talks heated up Wednesday night. The #Jaguars planned to interview Hackett again today. Instead, Denver lands its top choice.

Hackett and Aaron Rodgers are reportedly very close and love working together. Rodgers has been extremely successful working with Hackett, but of course the most recent memory is probably a somewhat bitter one as the offense completely failed in the Packers playoff exit last weekend. 

there will be a lot of speculation about Rodgers, Adams, etc....."coming to Denver"....but in the case of Rodgers it would be being "traded" to Denver which involves a lot of moving pieces....and as far as Adams, there is a good chance he gets franchise tagged.....so its not like they just pack their bags and hop on the train with Hackett....

Tom Pelissero

@TomPelissero

The #Broncos are finalizing a deal with #Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett to make him their new head coach, per sources. Contract talks heated up Wednesday night. The #Jaguars planned to interview Hackett again today. Instead, Denver lands its top choice.
Gotta figure he knows or is at least reasonably sure he’s getting Rodgers if he jumped on Denver instead of getting to hitch his wagon to Lawrence. 

If Aaron ends up in Denver does that defense have enough talent to be a force again in FF (team defense)?
Defensive talent shouldn't be an issue. Paton killed it in the '21 draft with Cooper, Browning and Sterns. Chubb was out more than half the season. During the season they picked up solid ILB depth with Young, Weatherly and Kiser. Jewell and AJ will return. Secondary and DL should remain solid.

The wildcard is coaching. Fangio had well-deserved rep as a defensive guru so impossible to say what was talent vs. coaching last year.

Is there any relationship between Hackett and Wink Martindale? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. one bullet in the gun is gone now. 

If Wilson comes off the table as an option, I am really worried about the future for this team.

When you are forced to go to option C and the name Trubisky is being thrown around, trouble is assured. But a reality series with him and Drew as roommates would be widely entertaining, 

Well. one bullet in the gun is gone now. 

If Wilson comes off the table as an option, I am really worried about the future for this team.

When you are forced to go to option C and the name Trubisky is being thrown around, trouble is assured. But a reality series with him and Drew as roommates would be widely entertaining, 
Love the new thread title, btw.

Brock Huard on the Radio taking about not only what Wison brings to the Broncos but what he brings to the community. He's like Manning he'll be all in here.

Well this off season is going well.  Two OL picks. They have addressed the loss of Shelby with the signing of Jones. I was very happy to see them re-sign Jewell. The Gregory signing is a little scary, but I remember feeling the same about Ware and that turned out well. 

On to the draft to get some CB/safety, more OL depth, an edge rusher and possibly LB help. 

With the way the AFC West is shaping up drafting Pat Surtain looks a whole better now then Justin Fields.

Last edited by a moderator:
Report: Rob Walton to submit bid on Broncos north of $4 billion

Rob Walton, of Walmart, intends to submit a huge bid on the Denver Broncos on Friday that will make him an immediate favorite to purchase the franchise

The sale of the Denver Broncos is heating up with Walmart co-owner Rob Walton intending to submit a bid of more than $4 billion on Friday, according to a report from the New York Post. The bid would instantly make him a major contender to purchase the franchise and become the next owner of the Broncos.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2022/4/8/23016805/rob-walton-bid-broncos-4-billion

Report: Rob Walton to submit bid on Broncos north of $4 billion

Rob Walton, of Walmart, intends to submit a huge bid on the Denver Broncos on Friday that will make him an immediate favorite to purchase the franchise

The sale of the Denver Broncos is heating up with Walmart co-owner Rob Walton intending to submit a bid of more than $4 billion on Friday, according to a report from the New York Post. The bid would instantly make him a major contender to purchase the franchise and become the next owner of the Broncos.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.milehighreport.com/platform/amp/2022/4/8/23016805/rob-walton-bid-broncos-4-billion
He would be by far the richest owner. Nobody else will be able to outbid him. 

Well this off season is going well.  Two OL picks. They have addressed the loss of Shelby with the signing of Jones. I was very happy to see them re-sign Jewell. The Gregory signing is a little scary, but I remember feeling the same about Ware and that turned out well. 

On to the draft to get some CB/safety, more OL depth, an edge rusher and possibly LB help. 

They'll probably add a RB and TE as well. 

The roster is pretty solid as is right now which will allow them to go best player available. 

I wonder with Malik Reed resigned and Browning being moved outside if Denver doesn't address edge in the early rounds. 

Walmart heir Rob Walton will buy the Denver Broncos with a winning bid of $4.5 billion, per

@Forbes

It will be the most expensive sale of any sports franchise

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1533806611512401920?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1533806611512401920|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fmichigan-state%2Fboard%2F93%2FContents%2Fishbia-makes-bid-for-denver-broncos-187991535%2F%3Fpage%3D3

Four names had emerged as lead partners of those four groups, according to a source: Rob Walton, Josh Harris, Mat Ishbia (GO GREEN) and Jose E. Feliciano.

Walmart heir Rob Walton will buy the Denver Broncos with a winning bid of $4.5 billion, per

@Forbes

It will be the most expensive sale of any sports franchise

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1533806611512401920?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1533806611512401920|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2F247sports.com%2Fcollege%2Fmichigan-state%2Fboard%2F93%2FContents%2Fishbia-makes-bid-for-denver-broncos-187991535%2F%3Fpage%3D3

Four names had emerged as lead partners of those four groups, according to a source: Rob Walton, Josh Harris, Mat Ishbia (GO GREEN) and Jose E. Feliciano.
Looks like a done deal. 

The Denver Broncos and the Walton-Penner family have entered into a purchase and sale agreement to acquire the team.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Broncos/status/1534377080217079809?cxt=HHwWgsC4neb0mcsqAAAA

Just when the Chiefs started to look like an emerging, unstoppable juggernaut just a few short years ago, so much has transpired, and in such short time.

Why wouldn't NFL.com have this on the front page news?  It seems like a big deal, but they aren't giving it any press.  Do they consider the sale of a franchise a negative?

Just confused...

I still Kind of wish the Broncos took Fields. We  would still have all of our picks. We wouldn't have to worry about shelling out a monster contract for a few years. We'd still have Shelby Harris and Noah Fant. The arguments against taking Fields is it's unknown how good he'll be. We know what Wilson is. I'm looking at this long term. I loved watching the development of Elway. I think it would be fun to watch the development of Fields. Speaking of long term, We would have Fields for at least 10 more years than Russ. I also think Fields will be more fun to watch since he is younger and more athletic than Russ at this point in his career. If we were just talking the next five years give me Russ all day. If Fields ends up being a super star then it was certainly a mistake to pass on him. 

The previous paragraph is just my personal preference. From the Broncos point of view at least in the short term they nailed it. Pat Surtain will be CB 1 in the league as early as this year. My opinion is also tainted by the fact I don't like Wilson personally. I think he is a phony. I cringe at how fake he is every time he speaks. 

Expensive but you have to pay to play.

Also, after the last few years, it's better to have a " real" QB than to just have an average Joe back there.

*No disrespect to Mr. Montana, Namath, or Burrow.

Users who are viewing this thread