What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2022 Denver Bronco thread-- Well, there is always next year.... (1 Viewer)

Care to comment on Fields now?

Or was that ####-show he put on so exciting it took your breath away?
I still Kind of wish the Broncos took Fields. We would still have all of our picks. We wouldn't have to worry about shelling out a monster contract for a few years. We'd still have Shelby Harris and Noah Fant. The arguments against taking Fields is it's unknown how good he'll be. We know what Wilson is. I'm looking at this long term. I loved watching the development of Elway. I think it would be fun to watch the development of Fields. Speaking of long term, We would have Fields for at least 10 more years than Russ. I also think Fields will be more fun to watch since he is younger and more athletic than Russ at this point in his career. If we were just talking the next five years give me Russ all day. If Fields ends up being a super star then it was certainly a mistake to pass on him.

The previous paragraph is just my personal preference. From the Broncos point of view at least in the short term they nailed it. Pat Surtain will be CB 1 in the league as early as this year. My opinion is also tainted by the fact I don't like Wilson personally. I think he is a phony. I cringe at how fake he is every time he speaks.
I wish Paton would have taken Fields. We could see what he does in year two and if it isn’t working then make a move for one of the talented QB’s coming out in the draft. We would still have all of our picks and a lot more money. I think Russ and the Broncos will get it going but it’s not gonna
be very exciting. I’m just thankful it’s hockey season so I can watch the Avalanche.

certainly has gotten off to a tough start in the coaching and QB department.....and all the things about Wilson that kind of wore out his welcome with the fan base and teammates in SEA are starting to rear their ugly head already....his I'm cooler than you attitude and robotic personality are being talked about way too much....but that's what happens when you don't produce like most expected and you are the reason your team loses some games instead of wins them....especially after giving up all that draft capital and players and signing that contract....he is supposed to be the tide that raises all boats and it hasn't happened yet....the hall pass of new team, new coach, etc. will only last so long....it's almost at a boiling/tipping point headed into this weekend....living in CO it really feels like while many probably don't necessarily expect the Broncos to go to LAC and get a dub.....they (mostly Wilson) need to at least put up a fight and not pee down their leg again....it's ugly already but could get worse with another bad showing on national TV.....

I still Kind of wish the Broncos took Fields. We would still have all of our picks. We wouldn't have to worry about shelling out a monster contract for a few years. We'd still have Shelby Harris and Noah Fant. The arguments against taking Fields is it's unknown how good he'll be. We know what Wilson is. I'm looking at this long term. I loved watching the development of Elway. I think it would be fun to watch the development of Fields. Speaking of long term, We would have Fields for at least 10 more years than Russ. I also think Fields will be more fun to watch since he is younger and more athletic than Russ at this point in his career. If we were just talking the next five years give me Russ all day. If Fields ends up being a super star then it was certainly a mistake to pass on him.

The previous paragraph is just my personal preference. From the Broncos point of view at least in the short term they nailed it. Pat Surtain will be CB 1 in the league as early as this year. My opinion is also tainted by the fact I don't like Wilson personally. I think he is a phony. I cringe at how fake he is every time he speaks.
I wish Paton would have taken Fields. We could see what he does in year two and if it isn’t working then make a move for one of the talented QB’s coming out in the draft. We would still have all of our picks and a lot more money. I think Russ and the Broncos will get it going but it’s not gonna
be very exciting. I’m just thankful it’s hockey season so I can watch the Avalanche.
Not sold on Fields whatsoever, still. He's a college QB, you'll see.

As for the Wilson era and the Broncos -- it's kind of two different topics -- meaning it's all on Nathaniel. He's as bad as it gets. Not Vance Joseph bad, but close, which is really saying something.

The sooner they get a real Head Coach, the better. Russell is 34, there is no time for a learning curve with this coach, which will never happen. He's not slightly bad or has some deficiencies here and there, it's a total disaster. You can turn around a sinking ship.

The sooner the better. Hello, this season's done, no lightbulb is going on in Nathaniel's head all of a sudden. It was a horrible hire, that's fine, but sticking with a mistake is much bigger mistake. This is not difficult.

Get a real coach in there ASAP and look and start to build towards the next couple years. That's where you put your money down, don't waste it.

Last edited:

Not sold on Fields whatsoever, still. He's a college QB, you'll see.

As for the Wilson era and the Broncos -- it's kind of two different topics -- meaning it's all on Nathaniel. He's as bad as it gets. Not Vance Joseph bad, but close, which is really saying something.

The sooner they get a real Head Coach, the better. Russell is 34, there is no time for a learning curve with this coach, which will never happen. He's not slightly bad or has some deficiencies here and there, it's a total disaster. You can turn around a sinking ship.

The sooner the better. Hello, this season's done, no lightbulb is going on in Nathaniel's head all of a sudden. It was a horrible hire, that's fine, but sticking with a mistake is much bigger mistake. This is not difficult.

Get a real coach in there ASAP and look and start to build towards the next couple years. That's where you put your money down, don't waste it.
curious....if this is your take....what level of responsibility does Paton have.....

and even tho Im not a Broncos fan ...I will say they are a few plays away from a different record based on the level of their opponents and what you would expect from a 250 mil QB...disregarding Hamler as the first read on that last play which was designed to go there is very strange....they set up the pick...and it worked !!,....why he looked elsewhere is a mystery...basically saying this isn’t just a Hackett thing ....something is not right with Russ and it just his “bad shoulder” or whatever....the things that wore out his welcome in SEA are starting to rear their ugly head in DEN already and it’s only been 5 weeks....

Hackett got slammed for trying a FG in the first game against SEA and not letting Russ try to convert the 4th down...then he puts it in his hands on 4th down against IND and dials up the perfect play to Hamler in OT to win the game instead of taking a FG that extends the game ...and Russ ****s the bed...and somehow that’s Hackett fault.....

Russ loves him some Russ.....

DEN may have traded two firsts and two seconds and some players and whatever other draft picks for a bigger diva then his wife...

Not sold on Fields whatsoever,
I’m not sold either but I don’t think we have enough info to call him a bust just yet. I would trade Russ for him if we could get all of our picks back. I think Fields would do well on a more talented team with a coach who designed the offense around his talent.

no lightbulb is going on in Nathaniel's head all of a sudden.
He is better suited to be a coordinator. He has actually dialed up some nice plays that weren’t executed properly. He seems to be in over his head as a head coach. His overly happy/positive/goofy personality is fine if the team is winning but has worn it’s welcome out while the team is losing. His decision to kick a 64 yard field goal will haunt him forever.

Hackett got slammed for trying a FG in the first game against SEA and not letting Russ try to convert the 4th down...then he puts it in his hands on 4th down against IND and dials up the perfect play to Hamler in OT to win the game instead of taking a FG that extends the game ...and Russ ****s the bed...and somehow that’s Hackett fault.....

DEN may have traded two firsts and two seconds and some players and whatever other draft picks for a bigger diva then his wife...
Russ deserves blame too, but the Broncos are married to him for better or worse after giving him a ridiculous extension. Why they didn’t wait one season to see how things worked out is beyond me. Probably something like wanting to lock him in now before prices went up or keep him happy or something, but still pretty risky.

They are basically stuck with Russ for probably 3 more years so the only alternative is to fix the glaring mistake you can fix in getting rid of Hackett. He is clearly not ready and may never be cut out for a head coaching gig. Maybe the new owners can find a head coach that can mold an offense to fit whatever strengths Russ still has.

I’m not sold either but I don’t think we have enough info to call him a bust just yet. I would trade Russ for him if we could get all of our picks back. I think Fields would do well on a more talented team with a coach who designed the offense around his talent.
I agree with the rest of your takes but are you for real on trading Russell Wilson (with a High School Head Coach right now) for Justin Fields??? Time will tell but NFW, for me anyway.

Russ deserves blame too, but the Broncos are married to him for better or worse after giving him a ridiculous extension. Why they didn’t wait one season to see how things worked out is beyond me. Probably something like wanting to lock him in now before prices went up or keep him happy or something, but still pretty risky.

They are basically stuck with Russ for probably 3 more years so the only alternative is to fix the glaring mistake you can fix in getting rid of Hackett. He is clearly not ready and may never be cut out for a head coaching gig. Maybe the new owners can find a head coach that can mold an offense to fit whatever strengths Russ still has.
You realize SR is a massive KC homer / Denver hater, right. These opines come with more Morton's salt than the factory.

You realize SR is a massive KC homer / Denver hater, right. These opines come with more Morton's salt than the factory.
true as that may be.... everything I said is spot on... and pretty much an exact reflection of the attitude of bronco country at the moment...

no lightbulb is going on in Nathaniel's head all of a sudden.
He is better suited to be a coordinator. He has actually dialed up some nice plays that weren’t executed properly. He seems to be in over his head as a head coach. His overly happy/positive/goofy personality is fine if the team is winning but has worn it’s welcome out while the team is losing. His decision to kick a 64 yard field goal will haunt him forever.

Best part of this was I was in Denver this week. Loudest Bronco fan in the bar ran in front of the TV as the kick went up celebrating with his arms raised in victory. He turns his back to the screen and the kick drifts right (endzone view above). The look on his face when he turned around was priceless.

Hehe, no. I don’t keep my notebook up to date enough it seems ;)

I agree with the rest of your takes but are you for real on trading Russell Wilson (with a High School Head Coach right now) for Justin Fields??? Time will tell but NFW, for me anyway.
I just wish we would have drafted Fields. We would have all our picks and tons of money. We wouldn’t have Hackett as our coach. I think Fields would have won that game last night with his legs. I think Russ will have better day’s but it’s not gonna be as fun to watch. I think Fields would be more successful in Denver. It looks to me like the Bronco receivers have given up on Russ, especially Jeudy. They need to trade him away. My only regret would be not having Surtain. If we sucked with Fields we could make a move for one of the stud QB’s coming out.

I hate Russ but I thought he would still be a big upgrade. He’s all about his brand and thats it.

Genius early tanking by Denver. Deal Jeudy, while he still has some value. Guy can't catch, he's like 80th out of 81 so far??? Some team will bite. Hacket should have fly-fishing trips plans already, thank god. Any big-time coach is hoping for that phone to pick up, with a war chest bigger than the richest top 6 teams in the NFL, COMBINED on the line. Timmy and Jevonte returning. Russell will be fine, keep him on the sideline and keep moving up in draft capital, while Rypien helps with an extra loss or three, despite the solid D.

Better to find out sooner than later, this season's a bust. Don't make it worse. If Paton's the one that pushed the button so soon, that's impressive. Proactive and aggressive, not sitting in his suite, and holding down the fort just to collect more checks.

4 wins would be a really good season at this point. Anything less would be great.

Genius early tanking by Denver. Deal Jeudy, while he still has some value. Guy can't catch, he's like 80th out of 81 so far??? Some team will bite. Hacket should have fly-fishing trips plans already, thank god. Any big-time coach is hoping for that phone to pick up, with a war chest bigger than the richest top 6 teams in the NFL, COMBINED on the line. Timmy and Jevonte returning. Russell will be fine, keep him on the sideline and keep moving up in draft capital, while Rypien helps with an extra loss or three, despite the solid D.

Better to find out sooner than later, this season's a bust. Don't make it worse. If Paton's the one that pushed the button so soon, that's impressive. Proactive and aggressive, not sitting in his suite, and holding down the fort just to collect more checks.

4 wins would be a really good season at this point. Anything less would be great.
The problem there is Denver doesn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2023 (they traded them away in the Wilson deal), so tanking for a better 3rd round seems fairly pointless. They are basically screwed. They obviously need to fire Hackett after the season (or sooner) and then hope Wilson returns to form in 2023 (or close to it).

While we’re at it get rid of George Payton for not taking Justin Fields.

If it’s Cousins Payton will be run out of town. He passed on Fields and now he has to go big.

No!

This season has gone exactly how I expected with Teddy. Very average and boring. Imagine how much more exiting things would be with Fields. Now we may or may not get Rodgers and we are going to have to pay dearly for him if we do. He may decide to quit after year one.

I agree with you regarding Shurmur.

What about Fields don’t you like?

Do you care to comment on Fields now?

The problem there is Denver doesn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick in 2023 (they traded them away in the Wilson deal), so tanking for a better 3rd round seems fairly pointless. They are basically screwed. They obviously need to fire Hackett after the season (or sooner) and then hope Wilson returns to form in 2023 (or close to it).
In theory Hackett does need to go. The problem is what good coach would want to attach himself to Wilson for the next few years? I don’t think Wilson is ever gonna return to form. Obviously he can play a lot better than he is now but hopes of watching the exciting version of Wilson seem to be over. Defenses have adjusted to the short QB’s like Russ and Kyler. It was thought in Seattle that it wasn’t the offensive line, it was Russ holding onto the ball for too long. It appears Russ does hold on to the ball for too long.

Hackett/Wilson were dealt a bum hand. for the 2nd half of last week's game, the Broncos were without:

3 of top 4 WR's (Patrick, Jeudy, Hamler)
1st & 2nd string LT (Bolles, Turner)
1st & 2nd string RT (Fleming, Turner)
1st & 2nd string C (Cushenberry, Glasgow)
2 of top 3 RB's (Williams, Boone)

it's tough to win in the NFL when you are literally down to your 3rd string OL and missing 5 of your top 7 backs.

that being said, the playcalling absolutely did nothing to protect Wilson. He was taking waaaaay too long in the pocket to allow deep routes to develop. WTF? what kind of playcalling is that? further, Broncos were not down some insurmountable lead, but they still were like 18:55 run : pass ratio.

This is why Hackett should be fired. He has not shown an ability to adapt his offense to the personnel on the team (i.e. Wilson), or game-time conditions.

Hackett/Wilson were dealt a bum hand. for the 2nd half of last week's game, the Broncos were without:

it's tough to win in the NFL when you are literally down to your 3rd string OL and missing 5 of your top 7 backs.

that being said, the playcalling absolutely did nothing to protect Wilson. He was taking waaaaay too long in the pocket to allow deep routes to develop. WTF? what kind of playcalling is that? further, Broncos were not down some insurmountable lead, but they still were like 18:55 run : pass ratio.

This is why Hackett should be fired. He has not shown an ability to adapt his offense to the personnel on the team (i.e. Wilson), or game-time conditions.

That's all well and good, and true. But I'm not talking last week and the excuses therein. There is no excuse for not being able to manage a clock, not as a HC, and certainly not at the highest level. And that's been since the beginning. He's inept. You can't have a Head Coach who's unable to adjust/adapt during games, no matter what turn they take. The Broncos have had that in spades, going back to John Fox, and the King of Confused, Vance Joseph. You could literally see it on his face, looking up at the scoreboard, in critical situations, not sure what to do; totally lost out there.

These trial runs and hope for the next great mind or search for McVay/Shanahan types have been total failures, as far as the Broncos are concerned. There will be no light bulb with Hackett, it's clear as day already.

Go fish Sean Payton out of Manhattan Beach. They can certainly write the check for that now.

That's all well and good, and true. But I'm not talking last week and the excuses therein. There is no excuse for not being able to manage a clock, not as a HC, and certainly not at the highest level. And that's been since the beginning. He's inept. You can't have a Head Coach who's unable to adjust/adapt during games, no matter what turn they take. The Broncos have had that in spades, going back to John Fox, and the King of Confused, Vance Joseph. You could literally see it on his face, looking up at the scoreboard, in critical situations, not sure what to do; totally lost out there.

These trial runs and hope for the next great mind or search for McVay/Shanahan types have been total failures, as far as the Broncos are concerned. There will be no light bulb with Hackett, it's clear as day already.

Go fish Sean Payton out of Manhattan Beach. They can certainly write the check for that now.
problem is, Payton is still under contract with NO. It's gonna cost a 1st round pick to pry him away (afaik). I suppose they do have the pick from moving Chubb.

Thanks moleculo, did not know that. I did know something like that was a shot in the dark. Regardless, some continuity/direction is desperately needed. They should be a desirable destination with all that talent coming back, but how long can they keeping spinning their wheels, sheesh.

Who's starting at QB this week?

probably Brett Rypien

@ZacStevensDNVR

Russell Wilson will not practice today as he remains in the concussion protocol, per Hackett.

2:05 PM · Dec 14, 2022

Today, 5:09 pm

Russell Wilson (concussion) did not practice Wednesday.

Advice: Per Nathaniel Hackett, Wilson is still working his way through the league's concussion protocol. Wilson suffered the concussion in Week 14 when he landed on his head while diving toward the goal line. He was unable to return to the game. If he isn't out of the protocol by Sunday, Brett Rypien will get the start. Given how poorly Wilson has played this year, that wouldn't be a massive downgrade for the offense.

TBF Russell looked competent before getting knocked out. Relative basis.

23/36 247 3 TDs 1 INT, ran for a season high 57 yards. Also got sacked 6 times.

Yea was just confused by the line shift. Started at +2.5 Denver even after the Murray news then moved to -2.5. I would think Rypien would be a bigger downgrade than Colt McCoy.

Yea was just confused by the line shift. Started at +2.5 Denver even after the Murray news then moved to -2.5. I would think Rypien would be a bigger downgrade than Colt McCoy.
He's an upgrade. You'll see.

Buckle in fellas. Dark times ahead. Because of the millstone around our neck known as RWs contract, we are screwed for at least a few years.

I don't see RW getting better any time soon, and with all that guaranteed money, Broncos have to keep letting him try...or eat a metric ton of dead money. Broncos are gonna have to *ahem* ride RW all the way to the bottom.

Buckle in fellas. Dark times ahead. Because of the millstone around our neck known as RWs contract, we are screwed for at least a few years.

I don't see RW getting better any time soon, and with all that guaranteed money, Broncos have to keep letting him try...or eat a metric ton of dead money. Broncos are gonna have to *ahem* ride RW all the way to the bottom.
The reality is even more saddening now than the news was when I (we) first heard the details of the ridiculous contract they gave him as well as all the picks. One (of many) reasons why I am not running an NFL team... if it becomes obvious that Wilson is no longer even a competent starting caliber qb, I would cut him (would that even be possible with the cap hit?). One (of many) reasons I am not an NFL qb... if I were RW, I would give money back out of shame at my performance.

The reality is even more saddening now than the news was when I (we) first heard the details of the ridiculous contract they gave him as well as all the picks. One (of many) reasons why I am not running an NFL team... if it becomes obvious that Wilson is no longer even a competent starting caliber qb, I would cut him (would that even be possible with the cap hit?). One (of many) reasons I am not an NFL qb... if I were RW, I would give money back out of shame at my performance.

Hackett is so terrible that I’d like to see RW under the head coaching of someone competent. That’s the only thing that could reclaim him at this point

Hackett is so terrible that I’d like to see RW under the head coaching of someone competent. That’s the only thing that could reclaim him at this point

100% this. Still need to see him with a better coaching staff and offensive scheme

It’s not like Wilson is a spring chicken that needs the coaching. I don’t think coaching was his problem this year.
It’s a team sport, players have input but ultimately it’s up to them to run the offense that the coaches feel is best for the roster as well as scheme, clearly something isn’t right right now and maybe wilson just doesn’t care enough about the x and o aspect

It would be pretty incredible if an interim coach could rally the team to play the Chiefs competitively next week. They have been vulnerable.

I'm gonna take a perhaps bold position, that I don't think Russ is necessarily washed. I think a bad enough HC can sink anyone. Is Russ the MVP candidate level player he was a few years ago? No, he isn't, but I still think he can absolutely be a capable/quality starter.

I think Hackett was probably on the Mount Rushmore of bad coaches in recent history. Only Urban Meyer and Hue Jackson were worse in my eyes. Dude made Kliff Kingsbury look competent by comparison.

I'm gonna take a perhaps bold position, that I don't think Russ is necessarily washed. I think a bad enough HC can sink anyone. Is Russ the MVP candidate level player he was a few years ago? No, he isn't, but I still think he can absolutely be a capable/quality starter.

I think Hackett was probably on the Mount Rushmore of bad coaches in recent history. Only Urban Meyer and Hue Jackson were worse in my eyes. Dude made Kliff Kingsbury look competent by comparison.

Agree. Hackett caught a nice gig with Rodgers. Fans hate Rodgers now, but that guy will make any coach look good, like him or not. And Denver wanted him to come with. When that didn't happen, they rolled the dice with Russ instead. That decision doesn't look great now but it's far from over.

Hackett was absolutely horrible. Like Vance Joseph level bad. One thing is for sure, it wasn't Hackett that got Rodgers those MVPs. And now people are super quick to bury Wilson. But we'll see. I don't think all those years in Seattle were a facade. It was like a month ago that Seattle and Carroll were an NFL darling, but that revelation isn't so popular now, is it? Not after losing 5 of their last 6 it isn't.

Wilson isn't done, imo, I'll chalk this first year up to the Hackett disaster. Anyone that watched each game could see the level of ineptitude. Could be wrong, time will tell, but plug Sean Payton in there, along with a healthy squad, and we'll see where this thing goes next year. Yeah, he lost a step -- not unlike Manning's noodle arm when they rode it to a Superbowl on the back of that Defense -- but he's still better than half the league's QBs and they have a formidable D. With a healthy Sutton, Jeudy, Javonte, Patrick, etc. (O-line). Hell, even Hamler and Dulcich could emerge.

I would not be surprised to see a turnaround, with the right coach, not in the least. The pieces are there.

I could see them trying to throw the farm at Payton. It's like if you have a $5M home that's sinking into the ocean might as well throw another couple Million to try to save it. Probably still not great odds that Payton will want to take it.

Users who are viewing this thread