What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

After 64 matches and 172 goals

Goals by Club

Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - 18

Barcelona (ESP) - 8
Manchester City (ENG) - 8

AC Milan (ITA) - 7

Chelsea (ENG) - 6
Manchester United (ENG) - 6
Tottenham Hotspur (ENG) - 6

Atletico Madrid (ESP) - 5

Ajax (NED) - 4
Benfica (POR) - 4
Fenerbahce (TUR) - 4

Al Hilal (KSA) - 3
Arsenal (ENG) - 3
Bayern Munich (GER) - 3
Besiktas (TUR) - 3
Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors (KOR) - 3
Juventus (ITA) - 3
Porto (POR) - 3
PSV Eindhoven (NED) - 3
Real Madrid (ESP) - 3

Al Nassr (KSA) - 2
Borussia Dortmund (GER) - 2
Brighton & Hove Albion (ENG) - 2
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) - 2
Flamengo (BRA) - 2
Fulham (ENG) - 2
Herediano (CRC) - 2
Monaco (FRA) - 2
RB Leipzig (GER) - 2
SC Freiburg (GER) - 2
Sevilla (ESP) - 2
TSG 1899 Hoffenheim (GER) - 2
Werder Bremen (GER) - 2

Adelaide United (AUS) - 1
Al-Duhail (QAT) - 1
Al Sadd (QAT) - 1
Alanyaspor (TUR) - 1
Antalyaspor (TUR) - 1
Braga (POR) - 1
Brest (FRA) - 1
Celtic (SCO) - 1
Chicago Fire (USA) - 1
Club America (MEX) - 1
Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) - 1
Esteghlal (IRN) - 1
Fagiano Okayama (JPN2) - 1
Fortuna Düsseldorf (GER) - 1
Hajduk Split (CRO) - 1
Inter Milan (ITA) - 1
LAFC (USA) - 1
Lazio (ITA) - 1
Lille (FRA) - 1
Liverpool (ENG) - 1
Marseille (FRA) - 1
Melbourne City (AUS) - 1
Montpelier (FRA) - 1
Nantes (FRA) - 1
Napoli (ITA) - 1
Nottingham Forest (ENG) - 1
Pachuca (MEX) - 1
Red Bull Salzburg (AUT) - 1
Red Star Belgrade (SRB) - 1
Rennes (FRA) - 1
Salernitana (ITA) - 1
Sepahan (IRN) - 1
Southampton (ENG) - 1
Toulouse (FRA) - 1
Ulsan Hyundai (KOR) - 1
VfL Bochum (GER) - 1
Watford (ENG2) - 1
West Ham United (ENG) - 1
Wolverhampton Wanderers (ENG) - 1
Unattached - 1

(OG) Bayern Munich (GER) - 1
(OG) Benfica (POR) - 1
(OG) West Ham United (ENG) - 1

Goals by League

Premier League (ENG) - 38

Ligue 1 (FRA) - 27

La Liga (ESP) - 18

Bundesliga (GER) - 16

Serie A (ITA) - 14

Süper Lig (TUR) - 9

Premiera Liga (POR) - 8

Eredivisie (NED) - 7

Saudi Professional League (KSA) - 5

K League 1 (KOR) - 4

Croatian First League (CRO) - 3

A-League (AUS) - 2
Campeonato Brasileiro Série A (BRA) - 2
Liga FPD (CRC) - 2
Liga MX (MEX) - 2
Major League Soccer (USA) - 2
Qatar Stars League (QAT) - 2
Persian Gulf Pro League (IRN) - 2

Austrian Bundesliga (AUT) - 1
EFL Championship (ENG2) - 1
J2 League (JPN2) - 1
Serbian SuperLiga (SRB) - 1
Scottish Premiership (SCO) - 1
Unattached - 1

(OG) Bundesliga (GER) - 1
(OG) Premiera Liga (POR) - 1
(OG) Premier League (ENG) - 1

What is the reason for letting any player take the PK instead of having it be the player who was fouled? Seems weird to me who admittedly know nothing.

Encourages more scoring is the simple explanation

and the intentional fouling of lesser goal scorers.

Would this really be a thing? Even the most incompetent defenders that barely cross midfield would still probably convert 60% of their PKs. I can't imagine there would ever be such a thing as hack-a-shaq in soccer to give away PKs.

They should probably score it a little differently, at least, as it really screws up stat tracking when someone takes the PKs for a team where other guys draw a lot of PKs. Stuff like golden boot, and Messi "being the first to score in every knockout round game" is kinda cheesy when more than half of those goals were a result of converting PKs at the world average PK conversion rate on PKs earned by other players.

Imagine how jacked up the scoring disparity would be if Steph Curry got to shoot all of Golden State's free throws regardless of who got fouled.

That will go down as the best soccer game in history. I can't remember one that even comes close.
Why? France sucked for a long stretch. Sure they came back but it wasn't great for a good bit.
Games are remembered on moments, and this had so many.

I was with everyone in criticizing France's intensity in the first half, but I should have, in fairness, also mentioned that Argentina was playing some stunning one-touch stuff in the middle of the pitch in that first half. Time after time, the ball would get out just ahead of the tackle, completely avoiding the (somewhat deeper) pressing traps the French like to deploy in the middle third. The quality of the football that Argentina played in that first half was very, very high. Particularly for an international game, which rarely matches the quality of an elite club game.

Argentina didn't really match that in the second half. And yeah, France needed the Otamendi mistake to give them hope, but once that happened, Mbappe in particular started playing like his hair was on fire. And all the twists and turns from there, with the absolute highest stakes were intoxicating. The beautifully worked and taken second French goal. The frantic shifts in momentum in extra time. Messi's goal. Mbappe's cool second penalty (with a kiss!). Upamacomo's twin tackles. Emi's massive save. Mbappe shaking and baking in the box to almost win it at the death. I don't know what the "best" soccer game I've ever seen was. But this was probably the most thrilling to watch considering the stakes.

One other underrated aspect of the game was that this was a final that was not ruined by a referee out of his depth. That is, unfortunately, all to common in the sport. The refs weren't perfect, but they were consistent and they let the game flow.

Aaron West@oeste
My favorite thing about the World Cup is that Alexis Mac Allister is going to play an incredibly important role in Argentina (probably) winning a trophy alongside Leo Messi and he’s gonna go back to Brighton to play alongside *checks notes* Solly March and Lewis Dunk.

I was with everyone in criticizing France's intensity in the first half, but I should have, in fairness, also mentioned that Argentina was playing some stunning one-touch stuff in the middle of the pitch in that first half. Time after time, the ball would get out just ahead of the tackle, completely avoiding the (somewhat deeper) pressing traps the French like to deploy in the middle third. The quality of the football that Argentina played in that first half was very, very high. Particularly for an international game, which rarely matches the quality of an elite club game.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to say at halftime, but you said it much better. There wasn't really much wrong with France except they couldn't get close to the ball because ARG found a first-touch pass every time -- even when receiving it in some ridiculously tight spots. Their passing for the first hour or so was Man City v Liverpool elite.

GOAT: Messi or Pele?
Don't even think it's close. Messi has been for a long time. I really want him to last another 3.5 years.

That will go down as the best soccer game in history. I can't remember one that even comes close.
Huge comebacks require a lead to start with. See: the Vikings.
Saw that in person and then watched the WCF pulling hard for Messi today. My poor heart.

About 2,000 fans gathered to celebrate in Miami Beach's north section, aka North Beach and Little Buenos Aires where Manolos has the best filled churros, and several thousand Argentinians fled to, including many middle class professionals, during the deep recession in Argentina 20 years ago. Many had to work sevice jobs in the tourism industry, under the table, as they overstayed their visas. Rich Argentinians used legal maneuvers to stay in the USA. The celebration closed down the streets for hours, but no riots. Messi owns a entire floor ocean front condo about 10 miles north of Miami Beach. Maybe he'll play for Inter Miami soon.

Just finished watching as I had to work today. Kind of think France got jobbed on a lot of calls. The kick save was amazing and while the Argentina goalie is a huge dickface, man he had a great game. Incredible that Mbappe is already setting records. Maybe Messi is the GOAT, but he heir apparent is in the wings. Wish someone had won it in extra time and would much prefer golden goal over PKs. PKs tarnish this game for me, kind of like deciding the World Series switching from extra innings to a stolen base contest. Still super exciting.

Why? France sucked for a long stretch. Sure they came back but it wasn't great for a good bit.
Games are remembered on moments, and this had so many.

Argentina didn't really match that in the second half. And yeah, France needed the Otamendi mistake to give them hope, but once that happened, Mbappe in particular started playing like his hair was on fire. And all the twists and turns from there, with the absolute highest stakes were intoxicating. The beautifully worked and taken second French goal. The frantic shifts in momentum in extra time. Messi's goal. Mbappe's cool second penalty (with a kiss!). Upamacomo's twin tackles. Emi's massive save. Mbappe shaking and baking in the box to almost win it at the death. I don't know what the "best" soccer game I've ever seen was. But this was probably the most thrilling to watch considering the stakes.

One other underrated aspect of the game was that this was a final that was not ruined by a referee out of his depth. That is, unfortunately, all to common in the sport. The refs weren't perfect, but they were consistent and they let the game flow.
Great summary of the match here. An instant classic.

Somewhat related: anybody know why (without getting into the politics of it and whether it was appropriate) that Messi had to wear that black shawl thing to accept the award?

ETA: I ask because I've read briefs articles and posts/tweets suggesting it shouldn't have happened but I can't find just a general explanation for why the Qatari had him wear it in the first place.

Somewhat related: anybody know why (without getting into the politics of it and whether it was appropriate) that Messi had to wear that black shawl thing to accept the award?

ETA: I ask because I've read briefs articles and posts/tweets suggesting it shouldn't have happened but I can't find just a general explanation for why the Qatari had him wear it in the first place.

It is called a bisht. Traditionally worn on very special occassions, and when given to wear, it is a sign of respect and appreciation.

It is called a bisht. Traditionally worn on very special occassions, and when given to wear, it is a sign of respect and appreciation.
Oh. Well that sounds reasonable then. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread