What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

I need to buy a golf club travel bag for use when I fly on airplanes. What do you guys recommend? Need something good to protect my new set of Ping clubs. Thanks!
I've been using the one from BayBoy since May and it's been awesome. Pockets for tossing in some extra clothes, and combined it with their little umbrella-like thing that protects heads. It's also a mix of hard and cushioned in right places.

SIAP...anyone tried Golf Forever? As a 50-yr-old golfer who's getting stiffer and stiffer every year, and as someone who WFH 3 days/week and can fit this in time-wise without leaving home...I'm intrigued.
I bought in...just took the assessment and going to start the workouts on Sunday.
Let me know how it goes. I'm really interested in doing something over the winter to get better. If I hit it perfectly I'm only getting 230 yards at my best. Would be great to get over 250.

Oh, and I HAVE to get better at putting. I know I add at least 5 shots per round due to bad putting.
Checking back after a few weeks...I've been doing a workout 2-3 times/week over 3 weeks now. Got out to the course for the 1st time last Sunday. Immediately noticed a difference! I'm not measuring my swing speed, but it was obviously I was getting thru the faster and hitting it harder. Felt i had a little less control which is understandable, but that'll come back...I'm excited...will be disciplined with the 2-3 workouts a week now. Highly recommend.
How long/how much space do you need? And is it just like swing muscle stuff or a real workout I could use that helps with general fitness too?

I need to buy a golf club travel bag for use when I fly on airplanes. What do you guys recommend? Need something good to protect my new set of Ping clubs. Thanks!
I've been using the one from BayBoy since May and it's been awesome. Pockets for tossing in some extra clothes, and combined it with their little umbrella-like thing that protects heads. It's also a mix of hard and cushioned in right places.
Here's the bag and the umbrella thing.

Played an entire round in 45 degree weather pouring rain at Circling Raven in Idaho. Best round I have shot all year :lol:

Wearing 3 layers maybe the key to helping my swing.

Heading to Coeur D‘ Alene this morn. Third round in three days, sore in odd areas (hands and wrists WTF) and a bit hungover. Loving every minute of it.

SIAP...anyone tried Golf Forever? As a 50-yr-old golfer who's getting stiffer and stiffer every year, and as someone who WFH 3 days/week and can fit this in time-wise without leaving home...I'm intrigued.
I bought in...just took the assessment and going to start the workouts on Sunday.
Let me know how it goes. I'm really interested in doing something over the winter to get better. If I hit it perfectly I'm only getting 230 yards at my best. Would be great to get over 250.

Oh, and I HAVE to get better at putting. I know I add at least 5 shots per round due to bad putting.
Checking back after a few weeks...I've been doing a workout 2-3 times/week over 3 weeks now. Got out to the course for the 1st time last Sunday. Immediately noticed a difference! I'm not measuring my swing speed, but it was obviously I was getting thru the faster and hitting it harder. Felt i had a little less control which is understandable, but that'll come back...I'm excited...will be disciplined with the 2-3 workouts a week now. Highly recommend.
How long/how much space do you need? And is it just like swing muscle stuff or a real workout I could use that helps with general fitness too?
You attach it to the gap in any door so there’s flexibility, but I use a roughly 8x8 area on my patio. I think it’ll help w general fitness. There’s various levels…I’m using the ‘back tees’. I bike 4 times/week. After the 5th workout where it escalated in difficulty from the 1st and started to involve your entire body, my legs and arms were pretty sore the next day. I don’t lift weights anymore and I think this will strengthen my arms, shoulders, upper back, legs…and obviously core (vs just biking anyway).

You attach it to the gap in any door so there’s flexibility, but I use a roughly 8x8 area on my patio. I think it’ll help w general fitness. There’s various levels…I’m using the ‘back tees’. I bike 4 times/week. After the 5th workout where it escalated in difficulty from the 1st and started to involve your entire body, my legs and arms were pretty sore the next day. I don’t lift weights anymore and I think this will strengthen my arms, shoulders, upper back, legs…and obviously core (vs just biking anyway).

Interested to hear how it continues. Good luck!

First time accomplishment today....shot a 79 at a course other than the one I belong to. (and one that's actually about 1/2 a shot harder in terms of the course rating. 71.6, 133)

I tend to really struggle the first time I play a course. My brother always busts my balls and tells me my game doesn't travel....and he's not wrong. Just never trust that I'm hitting it the right spot, so I make crappy/tentative swings. Today I just hit a lot of really good shots. Even left a few out there by missing some very makeable putts inside 5-7 feet.

Missed a hole in one by about 6 inches on 14. Just hit the absolute purest 5 iron of my life, went directly over the flag by a foot and spun back to 6 inches. Went to the 15th tee knowing I had to go 1 over for the last 4. Made a nice up and down on 15 then made a bad bogey on the par 5 16th. Then I 3 putted 17 (very long roller coaster first putt, missed a 6 footer for par) and I figured my chance was done.

Needed to birdie 18 (long-ish par 4) and I hit a poor drive off to the right. Figured I'd be in the fairway bunker. Get up there and its about 2 feet over the bunker (if it was 6 inches further back, I wouldn't have had a clean stance) on the upslope and sitting up in the grass JUST well enough that I can take a full confident swing at it. About 165 in, catch a 6 iron pretty good. Lands just short of the green and takes a BIG hop. Ended up just past the hole leaving me a 7 foot downhill putt for the birdie. Put in right in the center for my 3rd birdie of the day and a 79. Felt pretty damn good, especially for the end of the year when I haven't been playing as much.

Only downside....FIVE hour round. 4 Asian women with umbrellas 2 groups on front of us held up the the entire damn course. At one point, as they were walking off the 12th green, there were 2 groups in the fairway and 2 more waiting on the tee box. BRUTAL.

Only downside....FIVE hour round. 4 Asian women with umbrellas 2 groups on front of us held up the the entire damn course. At one point, as they were walking off the 12th green, there were 2 groups in the fairway and 2 more waiting on the tee box. BRUTAL.
What's the proper etiquette there? Like if they don't offer a group behind to play through it's just like "oh well?"

Have I been a jackass when our three-group catches a crew and we ask if they'd mind if we play through? I've had pairs catch us as a foursome before and ask, if we didn't notice them somehow and offer first, and I've never been offended.

At a certain point without pace, you sit there and wait for a new group every hole or get the message i would think.

What's the proper etiquette there? Like if they don't offer a group behind to play through it's just like "oh well?"

Have I been a jackass when our three-group catches a crew and we ask if they'd mind if we play through? I've had pairs catch us as a foursome before and ask, if we didn't notice them somehow and offer first, and I've never been offended.

At a certain point without pace, you sit there and wait for a new group every hole or get the message i would think.

The simple fact is that some people are just oblivious to what is going on behind them....or they just dont care.

Had there not been another group (a father than ~7-8 year old son) between us and the REALLY slow group, we would have tried to play right up their backs to see if they would let us through. But we were guests there (both our club and my dad's club had events going on, so the pro got us on at this place as a favor), so we didn't want to be total richards.

It really was the perfect storm. All the tee times were pushed back by like 30 minutes due to a frost delay in the morning. Its fall, so there were leaves on the ground (making it sometimes hard to find your ball in the rough). And this 4some of Asian women were also walking a course that you really shouldn't be walking (and this is coming from someone who walks 90% of the time). BIG piece of property, lots of space between holes. They should have been in carts.

As slow as they were playing, had they let the first group through, there would have been another group right up their butt 10 minutes later. (partially due to them walking, partially due to the composition of their group). I mostly blame the club. They really should be monitoring the course and should have seen they they took 2 and half hours to make the turn. Their responsibility to get someone out there and tell them to pick it up...which never happened.

At the end of the day, I do recognize that golf is a leisure activity. I hit the ball fairly far/well and play fast (One quick practice swing and go). I dont line up putts for 5 minutes and I'm a fast walker. I dont BS and open a new beer in each tee box. Just not why I'm out there.

In my ideal world, I'd fly through each round in 3:30 mins and get on with my day. But that's not realistic sharing a course with others. People want to take their time, smoke a cigar, stay away from their wives for an afternoon, etc. And thats fine. But IMO, if you can't keep up a 4:20-4:30 pace of play as a 4some, the club has the responsibility to get a ranger out there and remedy the situation. (make them take a cart, make them skip a hole, etc,).

New clubs two weeks ago. Completed several fitting sessions this summer with Titleist, Callaway, PGX, TaylorMade and Srixon. My nephew suggested I try Srixon. Ended up going with TM Stealth driver,3w,5w and Srixon ZX5 irons 5-Pw and ZX7 AW. Also got a TM hi-toe3 56 W and TM SpyderX hydro blast #9 putter. May get a TM 7 hybrid (22 degree) for the 170-190 gap.
I was able to have a session with the new Titleist TSR driver but the stealth was 5-10 yards farther and tighter dispersion.
My bag of previous clubs was a "museum" with Callaway X-16 Steelhead irons and a few woods/hybrids received from pro-am tournaments 15+ years ago. Never had a decent driver.
Been playing 2-3 times per week and scores have dropped from mid 90's to low 80's. Had a 38 on front 9 last week which is my best score for 9. Back 9 was a little slow so I was hitting multiple balls (playing single).
Srixon irons are very hot off the club but still hold the greens well. TM stealth irons were great but too aggressive lofts and was afraid balls would bounce past greens.
Driver yardage 240-260, 7i yardage 145-155.
Driver swing speed 90-95.
I have scored 2 rounds at 82 and one 81 in last week. Looking to consistently break 80.
Course par is 71. Home course is RiverPlace CC in Austin. Most approach shots have to go over a creek, pond or elevated green. Shots off center too much either way will result in lost ball in "rocky woods". Beautiful course designed by Tom Kite.

Had my best round since the new clubs came in today! 94. But I had a great shot at an 89 before kinda blowing it the final two holes with a double and a triple on a par 5 and a par 3. To be fair, the wind was RIPPING all day and the last two holes going back up it was worse than most. But still. Bad finish. Best front 9 ever at a nine over (45).

Also had my first ever shot at an eagle on 9. driver, 3-wood actually skipped just past the green on the edge. 2 putts for a birdie though.

It was an amazing difference to go out with one specific goal of just "Swing 70% and hit the fairway." Hit 69% of fairways versus my average of like 14% lol. HUGE difference.

4 pars vs 2 triple bogeys, and the one birdie.

Also made it through with only 1 lost ball, which was AMAZING.

If the course is crowded then you dont need to let anyone play through, if the course is empty then people should be asked to play through, you shouldn't technically ask.

However, I don't know if its selfishness or ignorance the amount of times this doesn't happen. 2 times this year - i was a threesome behind a foursome and by the 3rd hole we were up their ***, and they had like 2 holes open in front - not once did they ask us to play through - because they don't want to be behind people I guess..... so stupid.

The worst was my last round, 2 couples - that had to be the slowest group of golfers I've ever seen. We are 2 groups back. We are on like the 12th green (its elevated), I guess, the 13th is a par 3 so the tee box is just past the 12th green and you can see the 13th green from the 12th green. I walk up to the 12th green to my ball, I look over to the 13th tee box and the guys are looking at me and are just shaking their head with their arms raised..... I look over to the 13th green and the husband is reading the putts for his wife, who then takes forever to putt. So the next guy is taking forever on his 20 footer, I just yelled. "THAT'S GOOD, PICK IT UP", i get stares from the green and the guys on the tee box are laughing their asses off. The guys in front of us eventually just skipped a hole. The worst part is they said they called the clubhouse like 3 times and no one came out to scold these fools

While i tend to blame the club for a situation like the one I encountered on Saturday, I recognize its a tricky spot for the staff. At a public course, its easy enough to send a ranger out there to shame some drunk 4some of 25 handicaps that each paid a $35 greens fee. Worst case scenario (in all likelihood) is that they're embarrassed/mad and just dont come back. But a private course is a whole other animal.

For all I know, the 4some 2 groups in front of us (again, 4 asian women walking the course and carrying umbrellas....in NJ....in October......) was the wives of 2 board members and their BFF's. And if someone from the club goes out to ask them to move along a little faster, they're gonna throw a hissyfit, go tell their husband and someone gets fired. Dramatic for sure, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. For all I know, this 4some does this every weekend and we (as guests of the club that day) just didn't know not to make a tee time directly behind them.

Lots of stupid drama like that at a lot of private clubs. My dad has been on the board of his club for the past 2 years (he just resigned) and its just constant absurdity.

While i tend to blame the club for a situation like the one I encountered on Saturday, I recognize its a tricky spot for the staff. At a public course, its easy enough to send a ranger out there to shame some drunk 4some of 25 handicaps that each paid a $35 greens fee. Worst case scenario (in all likelihood) is that they're embarrassed/mad and just dont come back. But a private course is a whole other animal.

For all I know, the 4some 2 groups in front of us (again, 4 asian women walking the course and carrying umbrellas....in NJ....in October......) was the wives of 2 board members and their BFF's. And if someone from the club goes out to ask them to move along a little faster, they're gonna throw a hissyfit, go tell their husband and someone gets fired. Dramatic for sure, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility. For all I know, this 4some does this every weekend and we (as guests of the club that day) just didn't know not to make a tee time directly behind them.

Lots of stupid drama like that at a lot of private clubs. My dad has been on the board of his club for the past 2 years (he just resigned) and its just constant absurdity.
Don't disagree - but the only people having fun are the 4 women.......

Don't disagree - but the only people having fun are the 4 women.......

Oh trust me...I hear ya. Despite shooting a very good score and having a great day with my dad and brother....a 5 hour round is still rough. Someone NEEDS to say something. Sucks when that doesn't happen.

In your situation, you didn't really have a choice. Your pro gets you on to another course, you kinda just have to deal with the BS that comes with it and be happy you're golfing. Alternative is you're playing a public dog track and it's gonna be worse.

That situation needs to be handled by the club, and if it's not, then by some of the other members. If those 4 were members, then there had to be other members out there that knew them and would be willing to give them some **** for playing so slow.

Not sure if anyone else has used it, but my club is a member of OpenRounds. Basically its a website I get access to that allows me to book times at other private clubs that belong to it. Its not the best deal (most of them charge like 25% more than the normal guest fee to play there) but its a way to play other courses and the process is pretty seamless (used it to play 2 Tillinghast courses up in PA back in September)

Hamilton Farms is the closest course to me on the site (other than my own) I was there for a work event earlier this year and its as nice as I expected it to be. They also have one of the handful of rated par 3 courses in the country. Its pretty awesome. Probably in the back end of the top 10 for private courses in NJ (behind the obvious candidates like Pine Valley, Somerset Hills, Baltusrol, Due Process etc.)

But even though they're on the site, you've never been able to actually book a tee time. Guessing they just decided to join to allow their members to book times elsewhere. Pretty lame, but whatever. This weekend I noticed that they were no-longer grey'd out for tee times. So I immediately clicked to see if i could book a time.

They want $430 (plus taxes and caddy fee) to play the main course and $230 to play the par 3 course. LOL. I mean....I really want to play it, but those are nearly Pebble Beach prices. Guessing the site just changed their TOS and made them open up...but allowed to them charge whatever they wanted. And they just picked a price that they know almost nobody will actually pay.

Before I do anything after getting stuck by what seems like a slow group, I do two things:

1. Try to see if the group in front is at least one hole behind the group in front of them (sometimes a group can naturally fall 1/2 behind if they had a bad hole or something, so if they aren't that far back I'll give them a hole or two to catch up and maybe I'll spend that time reading a putt for longer or something);
2. Whether the "slow" group is playing slower than the set pace by the course (e.g. 4 hours). After all, if they're within the pace, it's hard to fault them too much. Ideally, they play faster, but I view them playing within pace even if it's slower than I'd like as a car going the speed limit on a two lane road where if I want to go faster it's up to me then to pass/go around but I shouldn't expect them to (since, after all, it would likely slow their round down at least a few minutes) and in that circumstance I do feel somewhat bad asking to play through when they aren't in the "wrong."

I say the above as a very fast golfer (I played in an 8 ball cash game a bunch of times several years ago that played in 3:30 and that really taught me to speed up) and who hates to wait myself. But, sometimes, you gotta put yourself in the other groups shoes and truly weigh whether the group is doing something wrong.

To specifically answer your question, I don't think there's any sort of bad etiquette to ask to play through. I've never been offended by it. But I also think it's similarly fine etiquette for the group to decline the request assuming the group isn't afoul of the two points above.

I will say, though, that I find significant annoyance in groups (or, usually, one player) calling a marshal to come give the group(s) ahead ****. It seems like there's at least one or two of these clowns at every course. My course has one and a few weeks back I had the misfortune of being the group in front of his. I was playing with my wife and another couple on a Sunday morning during peak season (i.e. course is packed and is naturally going to play to its 4 hour max despite the 10 minute splits). On the second freaking hole here comes a marshal/cart barn kid sheepishly driving up to me (I was the prominent member in the group) while my group is literally standing in the fairway waiting for the green to clear. Marshal says something along the lines of, "Mr. [Woz], I know your group is just fine, but Mr. [jerkface] behind has asked me to ask your group to speed up. Now, normally I'd smile and just agree and go about my business as usual, but I found this beyond absurd under the circumstances. I also knew the guy's handicap/skill level. So, and perhaps this made me the *******, but I told the marshal to go back and tell Mr. jerkface that it's a Sunday morning and naturally slow, but if he wanted to utilize our time and play competitively I'd play him gross for $1k per hole. If he didn't want to do that, then we can all relax and enjoy the beautiful day and realize it's going to play slowly. Marshal, now smiling broadly, asks me if he can really go do that. I say yes, marshal happily drives back to group behind, can be seen having the conversation, then drives back off. Group behind us laid off of us the rest of the round.

Had my best round since the new clubs came in today! 94. But I had a great shot at an 89 before kinda blowing it the final two holes with a double and a triple on a par 5 and a par 3. To be fair, the wind was RIPPING all day and the last two holes going back up it was worse than most. But still. Bad finish. Best front 9 ever at a nine over (45).

Also had my first ever shot at an eagle on 9. driver, 3-wood actually skipped just past the green on the edge. 2 putts for a birdie though.

It was an amazing difference to go out with one specific goal of just "Swing 70% and hit the fairway." Hit 69% of fairways versus my average of like 14% lol. HUGE difference.

4 pars vs 2 triple bogeys, and the one birdie.

Also made it through with only 1 lost ball, which was AMAZING.
Playing a round with one single ball for the first time is a really, really sweet feeling (and accomplishment). Sounds like you're almost there.

Before I do anything after getting stuck by what seems like a slow group, I do two things:

1. Try to see if the group in front is at least one hole behind the group in front of them (sometimes a group can naturally fall 1/2 behind if they had a bad hole or something, so if they aren't that far back I'll give them a hole or two to catch up and maybe I'll spend that time reading a putt for longer or something);
2. Whether the "slow" group is playing slower than the set pace by the course (e.g. 4 hours). After all, if they're within the pace, it's hard to fault them too much. Ideally, they play faster, but I view them playing within pace even if it's slower than I'd like as a car going the speed limit on a two lane road where if I want to go faster it's up to me then to pass/go around but I shouldn't expect them to (since, after all, it would likely slow their round down at least a few minutes) and in that circumstance I do feel somewhat bad asking to play through when they aren't in the "wrong."

I say the above as a very fast golfer (I played in an 8 ball cash game a bunch of times several years ago that played in 3:30 and that really taught me to speed up) and who hates to wait myself. But, sometimes, you gotta put yourself in the other groups shoes and truly weigh whether the group is doing something wrong.

To specifically answer your question, I don't think there's any sort of bad etiquette to ask to play through. I've never been offended by it. But I also think it's similarly fine etiquette for the group to decline the request assuming the group isn't afoul of the two points above.

I will say, though, that I find significant annoyance in groups (or, usually, one player) calling a marshal to come give the group(s) ahead ****. It seems like there's at least one or two of these clowns at every course. My course has one and a few weeks back I had the misfortune of being the group in front of his. I was playing with my wife and another couple on a Sunday morning during peak season (i.e. course is packed and is naturally going to play to its 4 hour max despite the 10 minute splits). On the second freaking hole here comes a marshal/cart barn kid sheepishly driving up to me (I was the prominent member in the group) while my group is literally standing in the fairway waiting for the green to clear. Marshal says something along the lines of, "Mr. [Woz], I know your group is just fine, but Mr. [jerkface] behind has asked me to ask your group to speed up. Now, normally I'd smile and just agree and go about my business as usual, but I found this beyond absurd under the circumstances. I also knew the guy's handicap/skill level. So, and perhaps this made me the *******, but I told the marshal to go back and tell Mr. jerkface that it's a Sunday morning and naturally slow, but if he wanted to utilize our time and play competitively I'd play him gross for $1k per hole. If he didn't want to do that, then we can all relax and enjoy the beautiful day and realize it's going to play slowly. Marshal, now smiling broadly, asks me if he can really go do that. I say yes, marshal happily drives back to group behind, can be seen having the conversation, then drives back off. Group behind us laid off of us the rest of the round.
We agree and disagree -

my 2 points - mr jerkface was in the wrong but early sunday morning is not leisure pace. Sunday morning before 10ish is for quicker pace/quality play. At least in the clubs I've belonged too.

I disagree with under the set pace thing a little. If they are under the set pace but have 4 holes open in front of them and you are on their *** then they should let you through especially when it was a 3some vs 4some.... Idgaf about set pace if I'm waiting every freaking shot for 5 minutes and the course is clear in front of you

In your situation, you didn't really have a choice. Your pro gets you on to another course, you kinda just have to deal with the BS that comes with it and be happy you're golfing. Alternative is you're playing a public dog track and it's gonna be worse.

That situation needs to be handled by the club, and if it's not, then by some of the other members. If those 4 were members, then there had to be other members out there that knew them and would be willing to give them some **** for playing so slow.
Agreed.

I place full blame on the club. And, just possibly, those women are "Somebodies' like you mention so the club makes the business decision to just own it. Regular members probably know to steer clear. I hear you that 5 hour rounds suck, but sometimes it's just something a golfer has to deal with.

My client has a group that carries a regular tee time on weekend afternoons. They play to, at best, a 4.5 hour round when the club strongly pushes 4:15 max on weekends (which is plenty reasonable). Here's the reality though:

1. The main guy in the group is >90 years old;
2. His wife is presumably, mid-80s;
3. If you watch them, they aren't wasting time - they're doing about their best for their ages;
4. They're founding members;
5. They're about as kind as can be.

So, yeah, as a club we all just kind of let it happen and we know not to book behind them if we can help it.

My suggestion in these situations is to embrace the slow pace and try to treat the round like a tournament round. Start spending more time thinking about your shots, simulate a match play situation against one of your playing partners (if you aren't already gambling), and take your time on the greens and maybe even try to get good as utilizing a green book. Yes, it still isn't ideal (especially if it's a for fun round and you got other things to do), but I find this to be way better than just waiting all day and/or losing focus on the round by spending the waiting time doing work emails or some such.

1. That's an awesome story. I want to get that good one day.
2. Really helpful to see everyone's opinion. I basically only ask to play through if I'm solo or a pair and come up on 3+. And the point about "well if they're just gonna run right into another group, and another, and another..." is one I will for sure put on my checklist. Hadn't thought about that but I can think of examples now in my head right away.

Playing a round with one single ball for the first time is a really, really sweet feeling (and accomplishment). Sounds like you're almost there.
It's crazy how much better walking is too. I'm not usually one who has mental game challenges, but once a round or so there'll be a shot that I don't take my time on in a cart (sometimes just because I'm excited even)...walking perfectly lets you cool off, think about the next shot, get the image in your head...it's awesome. Texas weather finally cooled off enough this month to get back to walking, which I hadn't really since mid-June.

We agree and disagree -

my 2 points - mr jerkface was in the wrong but early sunday morning is not leisure pace. Sunday morning before 10ish is for quicker pace/quality play. At least in the clubs I've belonged too.

I disagree with under the set pace thing a little. If they are under the set pace but have 4 holes open in front of them and you are on their *** then they should let you through especially when it was a 3some vs 4some.... Idgaf about set pace if I'm waiting every freaking shot for 5 minutes and the course is clear in front of you
The bold is a good point. I should have clarified that it was a noonish team time. In other words, this wasn't the get out early and play fast time slot (which usually that guy will grab - I am assuming he had some scheduling issue with his group and was probably annoyed he didn't get one of the faster-paced slots) and anybody familiar with the pace of our course should have realized this was simply a timeslot where one should expect a 4 hour round.

As to the second point, I do see a different between "it would be nice" versus "it violates etiquette" in that situation. I certainly think it would be the polite thing to let a group behind you go through if it's like a two ball or whatever versus your four ball and the course it open in front of you, but I don't think etiquette requires it.

Last edited:

1. That's an awesome story. I want to get that good one day.
2. Really helpful to see everyone's opinion. I basically only ask to play through if I'm solo or a pair and come up on 3+. And the point about "well if they're just gonna run right into another group, and another, and another..." is one I will for sure put on my checklist. Hadn't thought about that but I can think of examples now in my head right away.
I think it's less that I am "good" but more that I knew he was "bad" and, at that point, it was just math. No chance I make that gutsy of an offer if I didn't know his handicap was >10 strokes worse than mine. :lmao:

OH AND I WILL GIVE YOU ONE THAT WILL MAKE ME WANT TO FIGHT YOU.... This has happened twice this past year and I was "this close" to actually fighting a guy.

The course is packed. Everyone knows its packed. Its 100% obvious that "my group" is not the hold up or even if you are playing at a good pace.

DO NOT HIT YOUR SHOT UNTIL THE CARTS ARE PULLING AWAY from the green...... You might rarely ever hit one off line but mother ****er that 5 seconds you have to wait before we pull away is proper etiquette.

Not me ducking your shot as I'm putting my clubs in my bag because you're an impatient doosh, at least you yelled fore?. I'm impatient as can be but man WTF is wrong with you....

And you MR DON'T PULL AWAY BECAUSE I'M WRITING DOWN THE SCORES.... do that at the next tee box, don't sit in the cart by the green writing down the ****ing scores!@#!@#@#$

It's crazy how much better walking is too. I'm not usually one who has mental game challenges, but once a round or so there'll be a shot that I don't take my time on in a cart (sometimes just because I'm excited even)...walking perfectly lets you cool off, think about the next shot, get the image in your head...it's awesome. Texas weather finally cooled off enough this month to get back to walking, which I hadn't really since mid-June.
Interesting. I play with some guys that share your sentiment.

In contrast, I'm much better in a cart. I'd give an educated guess that I'm ~2 strokes better per round in a cart. I believe this is because I can play faster this way and it gives me more time at my ball to evaluate the lie and watch what my opponents are doing. I also, being out of shape, do tend to feel a bit fatigued come the back and such a state leaves me ripe for fatting a shot.

OH AND I WILL GIVE YOU ONE THAT WILL MAKE ME WANT TO FIGHT YOU.... This has happened twice this past year and I was "this close" to actually fighting a guy.

The course is packed. Everyone knows its packed. Its 100% obvious that "my group" is not the hold up or even if you are playing at a good pace.

DO NOT HIT YOUR SHOT UNTIL THE CARTS ARE PULLING AWAY from the green...... You might rarely ever hit one off line but mother ****er that 5 seconds you have to wait before we pull away is proper etiquette.

Not me ducking your shot as I'm putting my clubs in my bag because you're an impatient doosh, at least you yelled fore?. I'm impatient as can be but man WTF is wrong with you....

And you MR DON'T PULL AWAY BECAUSE I'M WRITING DOWN THE SCORES.... do that at the next tee box, don't sit in the cart by the green writing down the ****ing scores!@#!@#@#$
Amen to all this!* :lmao:

Except, you know, the fighting.

Last edited:

Except, you know the fighting.
Dude never yelled fore and it was probably 6" from hitting me in the face...... I won't go into the whole thing but that's the only time I would have fought a guy on a golf course....cooler heads prevailed obviously .....and I made my point..... I've been on greens where some dude just laced one from 275 and the ball rolls up - no biggie - thats like a miracle perfect shot..... but this was not that

Reactions: Zow

Except, you know the fighting.
Dude never yelled fore and it was probably 6" from hitting me in the face...... I won't go into the whole thing but that's the only time I would have fought a guy on a golf course....cooler heads prevailed obviously .....and I made my point..... I've been on greens where some dude just laced one from 275 and the ball rolls up - no biggie - thats like a miracle perfect shot..... but this was not that
I can't think of any reasonable situation where one can't simply wait the few necessary seconds to allow the group the opportunity to get in their carts and drive away. I suppose the only circumstance would be if they were chronically taking forever to drive away once in their carts (because I'm assuming they're stupidly writing down and comparing scores then instead of the next box) and, in which case, I'm hitting a shot I'm 98% certain won't actually hit them but may send the proper message by landing by the hole and letting them know that the people behind them can play and don't want to wait.

Yeah, unless I'm basically hitting a flip wedge into the green (so there's no chance I'm pulling it 40 yards to the left).....I'm waiting until the group in front pulls away.

I walk ~90% of my rounds. I used to feel like I played worse when I rode (back when I wasn't as good a player). I'd hit a crappy shot, jump in the cart and then 20 seconds later I'd be standing over my ball...still pissed off about the last shot. The walk between shots (assuming I didn't hit it 20 yards or something....) helped me clear my head and became part of my process.

Over the past couple of years, many of my best rounds came when I was riding, but I still prefer to walk. (for my fitness if no other reason). At this point, I only ride if its a tournament, its over 92ish degrees or if I'm playing on a Sunday afternoon after a morning basketball game (at that point, my legs are shot by like the 13th hole if I'm carrying)

Lately my dad (who plays 150 times a year and almost always walks with a pull cart) has been having some health issues....so he's been riding more. So if he rides, I obviously ride with him. I was going try and play Bethpage (never been)} next monday for my birthday but he wanted to play with me and I know he couldn't handle that walk right now. So we're playing at Ballyowen instead, which should still be pretty awesome (and less of a kick in the teeth)

Reactions: Zow

Time for a good story.

So I am playing a group of 3, and I'm very much the worst person, but generally play at a good pace. My teacher at Stanford always drilled it in: 4 hour round is achievable every time, you play ready golf, and you don't be a jerk. The other two, one of whom is WAY better (<10 handicap) are obviously fine pace-wise.

We catch up to a time about 30 mins in front of us - four very old guys. Which is fine, so one or two holes, we slow a bit, they clear, we hit, they clear, we hit, it's like a Wednesday afternoon and all is good. THEN...the foursome behind us hits one into us on the fairway. NOT a blind fairway. Like you can see us. No fore call either. Our reaction: wow, he must not be a big hitter and got ahold of one, good for him. This is by like hole 4 or 5, so we caught them pretty quickly.

Same hole, on the green - NOT a blind green. Ball lands not two feet from Paul (the guy who's good). So he gets a little pissed, we finish up, and knowing the other group is on the tee box still, we wait aside the green, they come up, and the 3rd guy in our group walks to the person in theirs who is looking, walks over to his marker (marked it for him), and says, "Hey man, we're caught behind these guys until we can play through them, appreciate if you're a careful not to hit into us, somebody could get hurt. Marked your ball here." Puts the ball down and picks up the marker. Other guys literally just don't say anything. So we say "Have a good round!" and head to the tees.

One hole later, same ****in thing on the green, but technically you could tell me they didn't see us so i try to have some grace. Paul checks that they can't see us right then, picks up the ball, and chucks it into the woods with the creek/stream. Deep. Like the guy ain't finding it. We putt out and move on.

They still haven't caught up to us on the tees, and we just barely miss catching the four in front of us to ask if they'd mind if we play through them. So one more hole. On the fairway, definitely in vision, they hit into us a final time. I say final, because Paul yells back "FORE!", then grabs a 3 wood and just rips the ball back at them. Which I thought was pretty understandable at this point.

Anyways...they didn't hit into us again, we passed the slow group at the turn, and we had a great back 9.

Time for a good story.

So I am playing a group of 3, and I'm very much the worst person, but generally play at a good pace. My teacher at Stanford always drilled it in: 4 hour round is achievable every time, you play ready golf, and you don't be a jerk. The other two, one of whom is WAY better (<10 handicap) are obviously fine pace-wise.

We catch up to a time about 30 mins in front of us - four very old guys. Which is fine, so one or two holes, we slow a bit, they clear, we hit, they clear, we hit, it's like a Wednesday afternoon and all is good. THEN...the foursome behind us hits one into us on the fairway. NOT a blind fairway. Like you can see us. No fore call either. Our reaction: wow, he must not be a big hitter and got ahold of one, good for him. This is by like hole 4 or 5, so we caught them pretty quickly.

Same hole, on the green - NOT a blind green. Ball lands not two feet from Paul (the guy who's good). So he gets a little pissed, we finish up, and knowing the other group is on the tee box still, we wait aside the green, they come up, and the 3rd guy in our group walks to the person in theirs who is looking, walks over to his marker (marked it for him), and says, "Hey man, we're caught behind these guys until we can play through them, appreciate if you're a careful not to hit into us, somebody could get hurt. Marked your ball here." Puts the ball down and picks up the marker. Other guys literally just don't say anything. So we say "Have a good round!" and head to the tees.

One hole later, same ****in thing on the green, but technically you could tell me they didn't see us so i try to have some grace. Paul checks that they can't see us right then, picks up the ball, and chucks it into the woods with the creek/stream. Deep. Like the guy ain't finding it. We putt out and move on.

They still haven't caught up to us on the tees, and we just barely miss catching the four in front of us to ask if they'd mind if we play through them. So one more hole. On the fairway, definitely in vision, they hit into us a final time. I say final, because Paul yells back "FORE!", then grabs a 3 wood and just rips the ball back at them. Which I thought was pretty understandable at this point.

Anyways...they didn't hit into us again, we passed the slow group at the turn, and we had a great back 9.
Yeah I could understand one or two mistakes* but WTF.

*I once played a round where my BIL not once but twice hit into the group in front of us during a slow round. Both times were elevated boxes and he/we just underestimated the potential carry distance. He genuinely wasn't trying to do it but they got understandably pissed the second time. We bought them a round of drinks after the round and tried to apologize but they clearly didn't believe my BIL. I only say this to say that it is possible for accidents to happen even more than once per round.

playing in a glowball scramble tonight, should be a fun round where i don’t have to worry about hitting my driver. my goal for november is to get a lesson for strictly my driver and then go get fitted. i’m tired of only being 210-220 off the box, i can hit my 3 wood the same distance and i know it’s because i’m not hitting up with my driver swing

playing in a glowball scramble tonight, should be a fun round where i don’t have to worry about hitting my driver. my goal for november is to get a lesson for strictly my driver and then go get fitted. i’m tired of only being 210-220 off the box, i can hit my 3 wood the same distance and i know it’s because i’m not hitting up with my driver swing
I am the opposite. I hit my driver too high and get absolutely no roll. I need to figure out how to hit it lower.

I am the opposite. I hit my driver too high and get absolutely no roll. I need to figure out how to hit it lower.
Get fitted for both the club and a ball. It may actually be the "arrow" in this instance.

Played at Ballyowen (top ranked public course in NJ) on Monday for my birthday. Weather was looking iffy for most of the week but it held off. The sun came out a few times and the rain held off until we were walking out to the car after a late lunch. Just enough wind to be a challenge. Great Fall golf conditions.

Liked the layout a lot. Lots of elevation changes and risk/reward dogleg cutting opportunities and a good variety in holes. A couple of reachable par 5's, one of which I 3 putted for Par from like 20 feet :bag:

Course was in great shape but would have definitely played harder in the middle of the season. The greens were a little slow (and my lag putting was TERRIBLE as a result. Just never adjusted) and the fescue wasn't all the way up. My brother (5 handicap with big length) and I played from 6500 and both felt it played WAY longer with the wind. He's not used to hitting so many 5 and 6 irons into greens, which was definitely an adjustment.

Ended up shooting an 87 due to the bad putting and a couple of blow up holes. Could have easily been like an 80-82 had I just hit like 1 more decent tee shot and putted a little better, (had 3 or 4 really bad 3 putts) but also could have been like a 93 had the fescue been fully grown in (found a couple of drives I had no business finding)

Not a cheap round but well worth it once a year IMO. Looking forward to going back there (Crystal Springs resort) and trying some of the other courses (I believe they have 5). Also had an absolute kick *** asiago chicken sandwich in the restaurant afterwards.

Got invited to play Plainfield (top 50 course in the country) this Friday by a friend of my dad but we decided to take a rain check until Spring. We've played 2 expensive "away from home" rounds in the last 2 weeks and my dad has some health stuff bothering him right now (So he isn't hitting the ball great). But still, something to look forward to for next year.

Last edited:
Played at Ballyowen (top ranked public course in NJ) on Monday for my birthday. Weather was looking iffy for most of the week but it held off. The sun came out a few times and the rain held off until we were walking out to the car after a late lunch. Just enough wind to be a challenge. Great Fall golf conditions.

Liked the layout a lot. Lots of elevation changes and risk/reward dogleg cutting opportunities and a good variety in holes. A couple of reachable par 5's, one of which I 3 putted for Par from like 20 feet :bag:

Course was in great shape but would have definitely played harder in the middle of the seasons. The greens were a little slow (and my lag putting was TERRIBLE as a result. Just never adjusted) and the fescue wasn't all the way up. My brother (5 handicap with big length) played from 6500 and both felt it played WAY longer with the wind. He's not used to hitting so many 5 and 6 irons into greens, which was definitely an adjustment.

Ended up shooting an 87 due to the bad putting and a couple of blow up holes. Could have easily been like an 80-82 had I just hit like 1 more decent tee shot and putted a little better, (had 3 or 4 really bad 3 putts) but also could have been like a 93 had the fescue been fully grown in (found a couple of drives I had no business finding)

Not a cheap round but well worth it once a year IMO. Looking forward to going back there (Crystal Springs resort) and trying some of the other courses (I believe they have 5). Also had an absolute kick *** asiago chicken sandwich in the restaurant afterwards.

Got invited to play Plainfield (top 50 course in the country) this Friday by a friend of my dad but we decided to take a rain check until Spring. We've played 2 expensive "away from home" rounds in the last 2 weeks and my dad has some health stuff bothering him right now (So he isn't hitting the ball great). But still, something to look forward to for next year.
O new pms

Walked 9 Saturday and chipped and putted 3 balls per hole. First action since rotator cuff surgery 4 months ago. Good news is I almost have full range of motion. Can get to the top of my backswing. Hopefully can start hitting balls by the end of the year. Can’t wait!
Not sure why you felt the need to tell us you got laid for the first time in 4 months but the rest is great

Playing in a scramble Sunday morning. Hoping for a smattering of opinions on strategy.

We have off the tee:
1. Pretty consistent with a long iron or less consistent and a long driver
2. Consistent fairway finder, ok distance
3. Inconsistent but totally smashes it
4. Inconsistent, not a long ball hitter (me)

Thinking each hole's order is 3-2-4-1

Then when we're on the green, I'm far and away the best putter, so we just go worst to best, right?

I'm the most consistent with irons/wedges on a full swing, so we have me go first if we're right at one of my distances (e.g., 100 with a 54, 112-115 with an Approach, 125 with a PW) at an 8 or shorter.

Is that the right way to be thinking scramble strategy? What have y'all learned over your years?

Playing in a scramble Sunday morning. Hoping for a smattering of opinions on strategy.

We have off the tee:
1. Pretty consistent with a long iron or less consistent and a long driver
2. Consistent fairway finder, ok distance
3. Inconsistent but totally smashes it
4. Inconsistent, not a long ball hitter (me)

Thinking each hole's order is 3-2-4-1

Then when we're on the green, I'm far and away the best putter, so we just go worst to best, right?

I'm the most consistent with irons/wedges on a full swing, so we have me go first if we're right at one of my distances (e.g., 100 with a 54, 112-115 with an Approach, 125 with a PW) at an 8 or shorter.

Is that the right way to be thinking scramble strategy? What have y'all learned over your years?
Our strategy off the tee would be 2-1-4-3. You want a ball in the fairway so the longer hitters can bomb away. In the fairway, probably have 1 go first then probably 2-4-3. I'm with you on the green, worst to best. The better putters get the read and if one of the less talented get it first then you're moving on. That's how we've been most successful.

I'm at wits end again,. I've been miserable the last few rounds.....I literally chipped for 30 minutes before my round and was feeling great only to shank, yes shank 6 chips during the round

Been off the links for a month. Developed tendonitis in my right hip flexor about a month ago. Could hardly walk or lift my right leg up. Been cold and wet in Austin for last several weeks also. After a couple weeks of PT, hip is about 70%. Looking to hit the range next week and start playing again.

Played today for the first time in 2 weeks. Actually hit it really well but my short game was awful (partially due to the punched greens)

Always nice to play a few once posting season is over. No pressure

bought a new driver yesterday 9 degree callaway rogue, regular flex. my swing speed is averaging 130 now so was losing yards with a stiff shaft, weird to not hear a ping noise when i hit it but so far liking it. tomorrow will be a real test on a longer course, played an executive today and only hit it twice but already noticed a big difference in yardage.

bought a new driver yesterday 9 degree callaway rogue, regular flex. my swing speed is averaging 130 now so was losing yards with a stiff shaft, weird to not hear a ping noise when i hit it but so far liking it. tomorrow will be a real test on a longer course, played an executive today and only hit it twice but already noticed a big difference in yardage.
Um something doesn't add up. Stiff shaft is swing speed between ~ 95-110. Anything over 110 is extra stiff. 130 is like super duper fast Dechambeau averages like 135

Users who are viewing this thread