What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

Okay, may here is the simplest version of my point:

If you want to just play occasionally and recreationally and just knock it around, then the stock stuff from the big stores or even just decent clubs from a second swing store that you were able to try out will work. But, when somebody starts asking about how to do know clubs to hit or whatever, it's professional fitting as the only true answer to that question.

ETA: If not obvious here, the brand-loyal players (looking at you, PXG guys) who swear by a particular plan have a myopic understanding of the issue and, not coincidentally, drive me nuts.

And everyone would look better in Ermenegildo Zegna.

But if you're an accountant in a basement office you should just get some Dockers and a Nautica shirt and call it good.
But then don't say you have custom-fit, tailored clothing by a top designer...
Nobody was saying that but you.

If I get measured for a suit at Macy's I was still "measured"... even if I didn't get the full John Wick treatment.

But if you're an accountant in a basement office you should just get some Dockers and a Nautica shirt and call it good.
And still shoot 120!@#!@#

As Billy Hoyle said "You'd rather look good, then play good" :)
Billy Hoyle couldn't even dunk...

;)

If I get measured for a suit at Macy's I was still "measured"... even if I didn't get the full John Wick treatment.
I think we're back into semantics here.

"I once dated a model."

"You did!?"

"Yep. One of my ex-girlfriends was a Gerber baby and modeled for their baby food jars."

Under your logic, the speaker still "dated a model."

I think we're back into semantics here.

"I once dated a model."

"You did!?"

"Yep. One of my ex-girlfriends was a Gerber baby and modeled for their baby food jars."

Under your logic, the speaker still "dated a model."
That's a bad "hat" Harry.

But whatever.

Okay, may here is the simplest version of my point:

If you want to just play occasionally and recreationally and just knock it around, then the stock stuff from the big stores or even just decent clubs from a second swing store that you were able to try out will work. But, when somebody starts asking about how to do know clubs to hit or whatever, it's professional fitting as the only true answer to that question.

ETA: If not obvious here, the brand-loyal players (looking at you, PXG guys) who swear by a particular plan have a myopic understanding of the issue and, not coincidentally, drive me nuts.
I think you're missing a piece in the middle here. I don't disagree with your point but you can go to big box (pga, golf galaxy type place) and say I want to try the 4 sets of irons (at least you could before)..... hit them, "get fitted" and pending on your numbers they submit your order. I have bought ~ 6 sets of irons from big box (golf galaxy, golfsmith, somerton springs) and not once did they go in the back and bring out a set for me to take home. It has always had to be ordered through manufacturer. Also, for example, the default for club specs might be different. My callaways off the rack were already 1 degree up compare to my hogans stock specs. So when I was "fitted", the callaways only needed 1 degree up right vs 2 for the hogans.

I personally think you are underselling the big box fitting. You make it sound like you go in and just take your set off the wall and go home. Sure people do this and many beginners will be fine with that. my .02. I still agree a professional fitting is superior but you are underselling a fitting from a store (assuming the person is marginally capable) :shrug:

I'm not trying to pick a fight or make fun of anyone - sincerely - but....

Very, very, very, VERY few golfers are going to drop $500 on club fitting. It's just not even a reasonable suggestion IMO. But my opinion plus $5 gets you a coffee at Starbucks so... :shrug:
I agree - if you are a novice or don't have cash to burn - get the fitting that comes with the set of clubs you are buying from a golf galaxy/pga superstore. They will check you lie and length and that will be good enough to start.

If you are really new just buy a cheap set in a box or off the rack

ETA: And I am someone that has done a custom fitting.
I agree with both of you. Just last week I took my wife to get a new driver and we just went to Vans and it was fine. The "fitter" was some 20 year old kid and he basically looked to me for the analysis. For my wife, she found a driver that both felt good and her stats with it were perfectly fine compared to the rest. So, nothing fancy, and it was only like $300, even with it being cut down, and she'll have the thing for like 5 years because she plays maybe 10 times per year and will occasionally go to the range.

For me, though, I probably get in ~75 rounds this year and that number should go up because this past summer we moved onto the first hole of my course (so I'll have a lot more evening 9 hole rounds). I also play in cash games and tournaments throughout the year where there's probably a total pot available to me at least >$10k or whatever. So, with that in mind, $500 to improve my score by even just a stroke per round? $500 is a bargain.

The above notwithstanding, if I could just give four takeaways here:

1. Thinking about buying a particular brand is a huge mistake. Don't think "my buddy is good and he plays Ping so I'll buy Ping!" If you only play a handful of times per year, go to a second hand swing store and hit a bunch and see what feels and flies the best for you.
2. All high-ends brands are good. In a vacuum, none are objectively significantly better than another.
3. The correct shaft for your swing is more important than anything else (except, you know, lessons and regular practice).
4. If you truly want to know what golf club (clubhead + shaft + grip) is best for you, the only way to do so if via professional fitting. There are cheaper but far lesser alternatives, and those are fine if, again, you don't play much, but just understand that you really didn't get "fitted" and will have no clue whether Ping or TM is better for you than some other brand.
I don't want to go too far off the rails here but I was a 6 HCP for the longest time and the only fittings I ever did was the guy would pull out his swing board/tape and check my lie and length. You don't need a trackman. We would use a launch monitor for swing speed for shaft. I agree 100% correct shaft stiffness if very important. My point is if you do research you will know you benefit more from a player iron vs game improvement or forged vs cast. For probably 90% of golfers its really not going to matter what brand they have. Its going to be look and feel and how consistent the monitor feels. And if the lie matches their path imo.

As Andy mentioned - you can hit a few sets and the guy will have his fancy club to adjust lies and WALA fitted :)
As a current 6 handi, we'll have to just agree to disagree regarding the bold and whether a full, professional fitting is significantly better. :)

As a 32 HCP, I wish I were good enough to have to worry about these things :P

Since I got "serious" about golf (basically since I joined a club 5 and a half years ago) I've gotten all my clubs at the local callaway learning center. (Located at one of our local county courses, which is generally considered a top 3 public track in NJ)

I've had the same fitter all 3 times I've been there. He's a certified callaway fitter although they have a couple of other brands as well (ping and some titilist)

I've been very happy every time. First time I went there was for a set of irons when I was shooting 105. Guy put me in a set of game improvement irons and made what seemed like logical tweaks to lie, loft and length.

2nd time was like 3 years ago.(I was probably a 13-15 at that point)Bought a 3 wood and 2 hybrids. Had a plan of what I wanted to accomplish with each club (in terms of distances and ball flight windows) and mission accomplished. Love all 3 clubs

Last time was this spring for a driver and new irons. I'm a solid 8-9 handicap now so I wanted something a little more "player distance type". Didn't want the big chunky GI irons anymore. Wanted something with more feel and more consistent distances. At first, the guy didn't even want to sell me anything. He saw me hit what I had and didn't understand why I wanted to change. But after some additional discussion and hitting some more balls, we identified some areas for improvement and i got a new set. Driver was pretty straight forward. It was clear my old one was WAY too stiff in the tip and once we got the right kick point,(probably tried 4 different shafts)my dispersion got a lot tighter and picked up some distance.

Each time, the guy probably spent 90 minutes with me. The place charges $150 for a fitting but you get half that back if you actually order the clubs through them. Plus they give you a free round at the course which costs anywhere from 45-80 bucks depending on when you play. They also have a great deal once a year where you get a 20% bonus on any gift card you buy. So you can essentially get 20% off the clubs.

Probably not the same experience as a $500 fitting from a guy that works with pros. But more than enough for someone like me. The guy i work with is great and doesn't oversell. Good dude who listens to what you want and offers good solutions.

Since I got "serious" about golf (basically since I joined a club 5 and a half years ago) I've gotten all my clubs at the local callaway learning center. (Located at one of our local county courses, which is generally considered a top 3 public track in NJ)

I've had the same fitter all 3 times I've been there. He's a certified callaway fitter although they have a couple of other brands as well (ping and some titilist)

I've been very happy every time. First time I went there was for a set of irons when I was shooting 105. Guy put me in a set of game improvement irons and made what seemed like logical tweaks to lie, loft and length.

2nd time was like 3 years ago.(I was probably a 13-15 at that point)Bought a 3 wood and 2 hybrids. Had a plan of what I wanted to accomplish with each club (in terms of distances and ball flight windows) and mission accomplished. Love all 3 clubs

Last time was this spring for a driver and new irons. I'm a solid 8-9 handicap now so I wanted something a little more "player distance type". Didn't want the big chunky GI irons anymore. Wanted something with more feel and more consistent distances. At first, the guy didn't even want to sell me anything. He saw me hit what I had and didn't understand why I wanted to change. But after some additional discussion and hitting some more balls, we identified some areas for improvement and i got a new set. Driver was pretty straight forward. It was clear my old one was WAY too stiff in the tip and once we got the right kick point,(probably tried 4 different shafts)my dispersion got a lot tighter and picked up some distance.

Each time, the guy probably spent 90 minutes with me. The place charges $150 for a fitting but you get half that back if you actually order the clubs through them. Plus they give you a free round at the course which costs anywhere from 45-80 bucks depending on when you play. They also have a great deal once a year where you get a 20% bonus on any gift card you buy. So you can essentially get 20% off the clubs.

Probably not the same experience as a $500 fitting from a guy that works with pros. But more than enough for someone like me. The guy i work with is great and doesn't oversell. Good dude who listens to what you want and offers good solutions.
Okay, last pitch here or I'm about to start charging the pro fitters a commission.

You mention it being "more than enough for someone like [you]." Somebody like you is a 40ish former athlete now into golf that hovers around a 9sh handicap. You probably beat your friends but can't sniff the scratch game at your club. You can go low but still shoot too many rounds in the 90s.

Here's the thing: you was exactly me before my professional fitting! I plateaued at around a 9 for several years, I did the kind of fittings at Van's or whatever, and was content. But then I was talked into the professional fitting, I held my nose and paid the money, and the result was that I was instantly 2-3 strokes better per round. And this improvement, statistically, stemmed almost exclusively from a significant reduction in double bogeys+ per round (my putting stats inside 12 feet also improved significantly with the putter fitting). In other words, a true fitting significantly reduces your miss-rate so your inevitable bad shots just stay bad and don't venture into disastrous.

In short, would you pay $500 to immediately get two strokes better? If so, this is for somebody like you and it's not too much! Hell, for those of us working way too many hours per week whose weekly highlight is probably taking some money off our family and buddies on the weekends, $500 is nothing in the grand scheme of it.

(Seriously these places should pay me at this point)

Okay, last pitch here or I'm about to start charging the pro fitters a commission.

You mention it being "more than enough for someone like [you]." Somebody like you is a 40ish former athlete now into golf that hovers around a 9sh handicap. You probably beat your friends but can't sniff the scratch game at your club. You can go low but still shoot too many rounds in the 90s.

Here's the thing: you was exactly me before my professional fitting! I plateaued at around a 9 for several years, I did the kind of fittings at Van's or whatever, and was content. But then I was talked into the professional fitting, I held my nose and paid the money, and the result was that I was instantly 2-3 strokes better per round. And this improvement, statistically, stemmed almost exclusively from a significant reduction in double bogeys+ per round (my putting stats inside 12 feet also improved significantly with the putter fitting). In other words, a true fitting significantly reduces your miss-rate so your inevitable bad shots just stay bad and don't venture into disastrous.

In short, would you pay $500 to immediately get two strokes better? If so, this is for somebody like you and it's not too much! Hell, for those of us working way too many hours per week whose weekly highlight is probably taking some money off our family and buddies on the weekends, $500 is nothing in the grand scheme of it.

I honestly don't think better fitted equipment would help me that much at this point (although I do think I'd benefit some from a putter fitting) I'm not at a plateau right now (I was an 11.8 at the end of the season last winter. Now I'm an 8.8) and I hit most of my goals this year (broke 80 four times this year after doing it just once in 2021)

My blow up days are not gonna be helped by equipment. Some days I just chip and putt like crap. My worst round this year was a 97.....I literally had the shanks like Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. Clubs hand-grinded by Roger Cleveland himself wouldn't have saved me.

Haven't had a lesson in 6 years. I never practice. (Other than putting and short chips in my basement) If I want to commit to a going for a big jump, that's the route I'd take.

:lmao: I was professionally fitted 3 years ago. I shaved zero strokes off my game and actually went up 3 strokes on average this year.

Explain that bromingo!@!#!#

I honestly don't think better fitted equipment would help me that much at this point (although I do think I'd benefit some from a putter fitting) I'm not at a plateau right now (I was an 11.8 at the end of the season last winter. Now I'm an 8.8) and I hit most of my goals this year (broke 80 four times this year after doing it just once in 2021)

My blow up days are not gonna be helped by equipment. Some days I just chip and putt like crap. My worst round this year was a 97.....I literally had the shanks like Kevin Costner in Tin Cup. Clubs hand-grinded by Roger Cleveland himself wouldn't have saved me.

Haven't had a lesson in 6 years. I never practice. (Other than putting and short chips in my basement) If I want to commit to a going for a big jump, that's the route I'd take.
1. Yeah. I thought the same.
2. Yes, they are.
3. Probably not; as they wouldn't have been fit to your swing and probably would have had an unfavorable spin rate. :wink:

I would do it, but I don't know where to go.

I have a question for Zow

You keep saying $500

How much was your clubs after said fitting?

Cause I have a pretty good idea and you're not factoring that in ..

I'll hang up and listen....

I've enjoyed the back-and-forth here. I see both sides of the discussion. I think the club fitting you get at the retail stores when you are buying/upgrading clubs is great for the vast majority of golfers (weekend warriors like myself who can only hope to play 20 rounds next year). As long as those fitters are qualified.

Then you have people like Woz that wants to take it to the next level. Nothing wrong with that. There is a lot to be said for having absolute confidence that the equipment you are using is the best equipment for "you". $500 is less than the cost of a custom fitted driver.

I read a post or Reddit earlier today from a guy that was gifted an outdoor full bag club fitting at the TaylorMade headquarters in Carlsbad, CA. The guy that did his fitting worked with Sergio Garcia the day before. The gift included the custom clubs that resulted from the fitting.

Now for something completely different. Christmas gift to myself. Just tap it in.
Had gift cards from the last 2 years so also bought this putting matt. Anyone ever use this? Our golf season is over so thought it would be kind of fun.

I have a set of fitted TaylorMade irons that I have had for 4 years. I like them but do not love them. Liked my older Pings better but traded them in for the TMs.

Last spring I was at an estate sale and they had a bunch of golf stuff. There was a bag with older Cleveland Quad Pro Irons with a newer cobra driver. Newer I mean 2015 or so. I only wanted to give the driver a try. I ask what do you want for the driver? Lady says 50 bucks for everything.

The bag had at least 100 tees, ball repair, about 50 assorted balls, umbrella. Anyway I tried the driver and hated it. Sold it on Marketplace for 75.00 in one day.

I was going to give the irons to my nephew but I took a few to the range and they felt really good, high ball flight ,everything felt crisp.

So then I take them out to the course and was hitting everything pure. Used them the rest of the season and was hitting better shots than with my fitted TMs. Now I am trying to talk myself out using them next year.

I looked it up and the irons had great reviews but the reviews were from 2004.

50 dollars for a set of 4-W hurts my clubhouse cred. :)

You keep saying $500

I think the irons were like 3500? Woods (driver, 3 wood, two hybrids) were around 2200 IIRC.

I did separate fittings one year apart.

You keep saying $500

I think the irons were like 3500? Woods (driver, 3 wood, two hybrids) were around 2200 IIRC.

I did separate fittings one year apart.
Don't forget putter and wedges!@!#!#

... So 6k ish ..... For the mashed potatoes guys in here there is no way they are dropping 6 k.... I have a very nice custom set and got out the door in 3200 ish. Bought last year's model's woods and hybri

:)

Btw I don't disagree with woz, I am half tongue in cheek with busting his balls but I do think you're over selling the fitting to a majority of folks that don't need it :)

One thing I know about golf is your score is directly proportional to how often you play. Take me for example. I play once a year. Generally shoot high 80's.

When I played 2-3 times a month, I shot low 80's and an occasional high 70's. My clubs are off the rack Tommy Armour 845's that I bought about 20 years ago. My woods: Taylor Made metal woods I bought from a guy from the classified ads in the KC Star about 25 years ago.

The scores I shoot today: exactly the same give or take a stroke either way. The only thing I've adjusted as I've gotten older is the tee box I tee off from. I'm 53 years old.

Your mileage may vary, but to a guy like me frequency of play is WAY more important than cost or fit of clubs. But that's just me.

One thing I know about golf is your score is directly proportional to how often you play. Take me for example. I play once a year. Generally shoot high 80's.

When I played 2-3 times a month, I shot low 80's and an occasional high 70's. My clubs are off the rack Tommy Armour 845's that I bought about 20 years ago. My woods: Taylor Made metal woods I bought from a guy from the classified ads in the KC Star about 25 years ago.

The scores I shoot today: exactly the same give or take a stroke either way. The only thing I've adjusted as I've gotten older is the tee box I tee off from. I'm 53 years old.

Your mileage may vary, but to a guy like me frequency of play is WAY more important than cost or fit of clubs. But that's just me.
Don't disagree really, but I would say you moving up on the tee box is probably the biggest reason you're still maintaining your old scores.

Don't disagree really, but I would say you moving up on the tee box is probably the biggest reason you're still maintaining your old scores.
But that's what makes golf fair. As we age, the one (and maybe only) thing that really changes is the ability to get long off the tee. But 150 in is 150 in whether you're 18 or 80.

It's not all that different in concept from the handicap system.

But that's what makes golf fair. As we age, the one (and maybe only) thing that really changes is the ability to get long off the tee. But 150 in is 150 in whether you're 18 or 80.

Sure. I was just saying moving up is probably what has allowed him to still shoot the same despite the fact that he's still teeing off with a rock tied to a stick.

Sure. I was just saying moving up is probably what has allowed him to still shoot the same despite the fact that he's still teeing off with a rock tied to a stick.
:lol:

Yep. I'm pretty much the guy that can hit it down the middle or in light rough about 200 yards and then get close to the green. Pitch and putt to get in.

I spent a LOT of time in my youth hitting golf balls into laundry baskets around my yard. An old friend taught me years ago to track your shots. How many it takes to get to the green vs how many it takes once you get near the green. I learned fast that I was losing strokes at a higher rate around the green.

So when I practice, that's what I work on.

I would say you should find a year-old cheap driver somewhere. It is AMAZING how different they are than 20-year-old stuff.

I will sometimes choke way down and do about a three-quarter swing (at most) and hit it 250 easy. They're night and day from the old stuff.

:lol:

Yep. I'm pretty much the guy that can hit it down the middle or in light rough about 200 yards and then get close to the green. Pitch and putt to get in.

I spent a LOT of time in my youth hitting golf balls into laundry baskets around my yard. An old friend taught me years ago to track your shots. How many it takes to get to the green vs how many it takes once you get near the green. I learned fast that I was losing strokes at a higher rate around the green.

So when I practice, that's what I work on.
Oh, no question. It's all about chipping and putting. Guys blasting away with driver on the range are absolutely wasting their time.

I've done Golf Galaxy fittings (Driver and wedges) and a GolfTec fitting (irons).

Both times I went to Golf Galaxy, I worked with someone who was knowledegable on the machine and helped me find added length and narrower dispersion. Getting my driver fitted was easily worth 5 strokes/round. I've sent 3 buddies to the same guy and they have all come away impressed and happy.

Since my loft, lie, length is standard, I didn't get much added value out of the Golftec fitting aside from being able to hit many different head/shaft combos. I'm still not entirely sold on my Ping I500s, but a lot of that is bad swings and not club related - I did gain a full club in added distance.

I think most golfers will benefit from a fitting, even at a big box store, so long as they work with someone competent. Referrals are an important piece.

Interesting discussion about fittings. I stopped by to sum up my best year of golf ever, and my best round ever, which happened on the last weekend my course was open. And I think the reasons for improvement were:
  1. Finally slowing the **** down. I've always known my tempo and balance weren't great, but this year I really focused on having zero overswings in a round.
  2. Paying for an app that gives stats on strokes gained.
  3. Focused practice, including a lot of time chipping and hitting sand shots.
  4. Getting fitted with someone who specializes in doing fittings, and buying up-to-date clubs.
I'll freely admit that the improvement may be mostly 1 and 3, plus the fact that I changed out 12-year-old clubs for new ones. The "professional" fitting might not have mattered much. But gaining 8-12 yards per iron, plus a pro with a good rep saying "these are the irons you should be hitting" makes a big confidence difference. I got a blended set of Srixon ZX4 and ZX5s.

The app gave me a couple of big surprises. I assumed my improvement needs would be, in order, tee ball, chipping, approach, sand, putting. According to the stats, my tee ball should be improved, but far and away approach shots were hurting me the most. I was hitting (missing) greens like a 20 index. One other surprise the other way - I knew I was a good to very good putter, but stats show I putt better than scratch - plus-2.3 index, to be exact.

My index this year went from 12.6 to 7.5.
My previous best round was 76. This year I shot a -1 71. That's right, I BROKE PAR.
Breaking 80 was something that, in the past, happened maybe once or twice a year. This year it happened a handful of times and was within reach about half the time. And even better, my "bad" rounds were more like 85, not 90 and up.

Here is my summary of my best round. I don’t care if anyone ever reads it, I just like reliving it. The odd thing is I did not feel totally dialed in – definitely hit some bad shots - but I just scored really well.

Next-to-last round of the year, we have a bunch of guys (25ish) that usually sign up as a block if the course doesn’t have an event or tournament going on. For whatever reason, there were a lot of last-minute cancellations and I ended up in the last group of our bunch with just one other guy. Usually I don’t play well if I’m waiting around a lot.

1. First hole is a very tough starting hole, long par 4. I hit a good-not-great drive, still had over 150 in. Hit an ok 7 iron, missed the green left, but pin high and on the first cut. Just a meh chip left me with a 12 footer with plenty of break that I missed. +1
  2. Short par 4, good drive, had just a 54-degree wedge in, but bladed it badly and sent it way over the green. Luckily no trouble, and I hit a great chip/pitch back to about 8 feet, putt was dead straight uphill and I made it to save par. +1
  3. Garden variety par 3, I hit an 8 to about 30 feet, two putted. +1
  4. Shorter par 5 but I mishit/push the tee shot into the right rough. Got good contact on my second to be back in the fairway with 80 yards in, put the next one on about 25 feet, two putts. +1
  5. Good drive on this longer par 4, had 9 iron in. The approach felt thin when I hit it. I must have gotten enough of the ball though, because it comes out a touch low but hits the green pin high and stops like a dart. Get up to the green and it’s 6 feet from the pin. Make the birdie putt. E
  6. Longish par 4 to a two-tiered green. Mediocre drive, approach was a 6 that came up short, but not by much. Chipping from off the front to the same tier, I hit the exact landing spot I imagined, and as the ball rolls close I think, nice, good par save, then it keeps rolling and drops in. -1
  7. Short par 4, driver, then I popped up my 58 a little (trying not to blade it), so I was on the front fringe, puttable. Knocked my putt from the fringe to 2 feet, par. -1
  8. Par 3 with a green that’s deep but not wide. I hit 8 and it just catches a piece on the right side, maybe 25 foot first putt, two putt par. -1
  9. Short dogleg right par 5, especially short if you can hug the right side. I hit just about a perfect drive. 185 left to the middle of the green, only 150 to clear the water. I hit a 5 iron, it’s pulled a little but not bad, ends up just short in the rough. Hit a nice chip that I thought for a second was going to drop. It doesn’t, but I make the 4-footer for a birdie. -2
  10. Standard par 4, pulled drive into the left rough, then the rough grabbed the hosel, and my approach is in the trap. Sand shot is okay but long by 18 feet. Somehow I make the putt coming back for an unlikely save. -2
  11. Short par 3 and I blade my tee shot, probably worst shot of the day. It lands long and right of the green and rolls down a hill. I hit a decent pitch from 40 yards away, but I don’t make the 15 foot putt to save par, it’s a bogey. -1
  12. Long par 5 with lots of trouble, but I hit a good drive and a really crisp 3 wood to be only 115 out for my 3rd. I hit one pure, pin high, just left of the flag. About 15 feet for birdie and I make it. I am now 2 under par through 12, and I’m starting to think about it. -2
  13. Long par 4 but it’s wide open, I hit a good drive and then my 7 is on, but probably 35 feet away. First putt to about 5 feet and I make it. -2
  14. Another long par 4, pull hook my drive pretty badly into the left rough, but it’s sitting up nice. Hit a 4 rescue just about perfect, on the green to about 15 feet. I miss the putt, but feel very lucky to make a par. -2
  15. Medium length par 4, and I hit a banana slice to the 13th fairway. Decide to punch under the trees and not try a hero shot over them. Clips the last branch, which deflects its line but I still get good distance. Hit a nice pitch from 50 yards out to about 8 feet but miss the putt and make bogey. -1
  16. Now I’m really starting to think about it. Never been under par with just 3 to go. I hit a really good drive here, which I still don’t know how after the last two, and dead I’m between clubs on the approach, PW or GW. Pin is back, green slopes back towards me a lot, anything over will roll down a hill and be a brutal shortsided chip, so I figure short is better than long and go with the GW. I pop it up a little (again) and it barely makes the green. Now I have a 50-foot first putt, could be back-to-back bogeys, and the word “choke” occurs to me. Mentally I’m like, let’s be firm with this, you’re a good putter, get it inside the imaginary hula hoop, then deal with the 2nd putt. I hit a very good putt about pin high but 6 feet right. Then I make the sidehill second putt for par. Phew. -1
  17. Long par 3, it is all of a 5 iron for me, and I hit a great shot under pressure to just six feet. Breaking 70 occurs to me as a real possibility. But then I miss the putt. I could not believe it. Everything there breaks to the front, I hit the putt where I wanted to, with the pace I wanted to, but it just grazes the top edge and doesn’t fall in. Tap in a disappointing par. -1
  18. 18 is an easier par 5, if I needed a birdie I would go driver, 3 wood, and if I hit them right, be 25ish yards short, chipping for eagle. But the fairway narrows and hardens where my driver would land. I’m thinking par is the right play. I hit 3 wood, and it’s good I do, because my shot leaks right and just barely stays on the fairway. I hit the 4 rescue, hoping to have around 100 left. I hit it fat but not terrible, and have 125 left. Stock PW to a back middle pin. I do not debate for a second and hit that. It’s a good one and I hold the finish. It lands pin high and a touch left, and I know I’ve broken par; I’m not 3-putting from there. I sort of baby my first putt from 18-ish feet, but it’s less than 2 feet short and I tap in for par, and a 1-under 71.
We have a group of about 30 regulars that use golf genius to track our game, so they know my real-time score, and I was the last group, so there were a bunch of them on the deck and they cheered when I finished. First time I was ever under par, first time ever being low gross for the day. Pretty great way to finish the season. If you bothered to read all this, thanks!

got up to like 53 in central jersey today, so I squeezed in a round with my dad. His club has temporary greens at this point and only 16 holes are open (no place to put a temporary on the other 2) but still a good time. Considering I hadn't hit a ball in a month i actually struck it pretty well. (played up a set of tees just for fun, so a lot of wedges in) Only 1 REALLY bad swing (a topped 5 hybrid on a par 5. Just lost my concentration) and 2 or 3 thin-ish iron shots (mostly because I didn't want to hit the frozen ground too steeply)

As someone who definitely over-emphasizes tracking and improving my handicap, I definitely enjoy the handful of times I get out in Nov-Feb every year. Having zero pressure and just knocking it around for a couple of hours is a huge change from how I normally feel on the course. Its nice to just not care if I hit a tree, leave a chip 15 feet short, thin a pitching wedge from 120, etc. Just 3 hours shooting taking a nice walk and shooting the breeze with my dad.

got up to like 53 in central jersey today, so I squeezed in a round with my dad. His club has temporary greens at this point and only 16 holes are open (no place to put a temporary on the other 2) but still a good time. Considering I hadn't hit a ball in a month i actually struck it pretty well. (played up a set of tees just for fun, so a lot of wedges in) Only 1 REALLY bad swing (a topped 5 hybrid on a par 5. Just lost my concentration) and 2 or 3 thin-ish iron shots (mostly because I didn't want to hit the frozen ground too steeply)

As someone who definitely over-emphasizes tracking and improving my handicap, I definitely enjoy the handful of times I get out in Nov-Feb every year. Having zero pressure and just knocking it around for a couple of hours is a huge change from how I normally feel on the course. Its nice to just not care if I hit a tree, leave a chip 15 feet short, thin a pitching wedge from 120, etc. Just 3 hours shooting taking a nice walk and shooting the breeze with my dad.
You played woodcrest?

You played woodcrest?

Nah, my dad is a member at a place near Flemington called Copper Hill. Not the most dramatic course in the world, but a fun challenge. Always in great shape and the superintendent works his butt off. Always has the greens flying during the year. Its a good change of pace from my place, (NJ National in Basking Ridge) as it has much faster greens and allows for a lot of low approach shots (can't get away with that at my place. Too many false fronts, eleveated greens and collection areas. Gotta fly pretty much everything all the way there)

So....no clue how many read but I hurt my back really bad in Pinehurst. Like last 2 rounds miserable could barely put my shoes on bad. It hasn't been getting better until recently and still not 100%. But today was almost 60 degrees. Played a local course.

It is a par 70 and 6300 yds from the back, the tees we play. It's just under 6000 from the whites. The ground was frozen about an inch below surface. We were playing temporary tees. Some were up, some were just off to the side. If I had to guess we played 5800 and some change.

I hit 3 or 4 bad bad shots everything else was decent. Birdied the last 2 to shoot 73. Back is killing me now.

The best part was we were playing our normal Nassau with autopress down 2.

Halved the front 1/1 so we're down in the overall.

Down 3/1 going into the long par 5, 17th. Perfect drive, perfect layup, perfect wedge to tap in birdie.

So 2/0 going into 18. Me and my bil vs my dad and my buddy. Since we can't win the overall we press to make it 2/0/0.

Dad hits middle fairway. I hit my only push fade of the day we think into the hazard. Buddy same drive as me but in rough. Bil way left. Get up to buddy ball and mine is buried and 1" from being unplayable. 100yds out. Buddy knocks it to 15-20 feet. I muscle a wedge just on. Bil and dad on green in 3. I line up the bumpy 40 footer, hammer it. It starts to turn left at hole just catches the lip, stops just behind the hole. Stops for about 2 seconds. Falls in. :lmao:

Me and my brother-in-law are running around the green like Justin Leonard at the freaking Ryder cup :lmao: cars are beeping as we celebrate

Buddy misses. It ends up 1/1/1 on the back.

All that just to break even.

But a good day. Time for some heating pad

Last edited:
Yeah, took advantage of today too. My course still had the greens open. (obviously slow and heavily sanded, but rolling reasonably well)

Didn't really keep score but missed 2 eagles by less than 2 feet combined.

Par 5 2nd (to be fair, tees were up). Good drive, hit a hybrid onto the green to probably 35 feet. Left the putt about a foot short.

Par 3 7th....hit a cut off 8 iron to about 10 inches. It was tracking and definitely had a chance. Probably the 3rd closest call I've had.

And that's it for a while. My course is totally closed Jan and Feb regardless of weather. May try to sneak on somewhere if we get a flukey warm day...but probably no golf for 2 months+ now.

I played nine holes today with my Dad here in Oregon had my best round in over 10 years. Parred 1st 5 holes and 6 of first 8 holes with two bogeys (both three puts) for 4 over 40 with double bogey on 9.

Hole 1 was a par 4 and drove the fairway and landed my approach shot just right of the green pin high, chipped up to 6 feet and made putt for par.

Hole 2 was a 140 yard par 3, hit straight at pin but just short of green and chipped to 2 feet of pin for tap in par.

Hole 3 was par 5 and hit very good drive maybe 260 in right fairway. 200 yards out but sliced 2nd shot right of green. Chipped on to green and 2 putted from 20 ft for par.

Hole 4 another par 4 and hit drive on right side of fairway. Hit 6 iron onto middle left of green and 2 putted from 20 ft for par.

Hole 5 was 155 yard par 3 and hit iron onto right side of green and 2 putted from 15 for par.

Hole 6 was par 4 and hit very good drive on left side of fairway and hit approach shot on far right of green. Putted 7 feet past hole from 30 ft and just missed par put for bogey.

Hole 7 was reachable par 5 450 yatds. Hit 267 yard drive down left side of fairway and had 185 to pin. Hit one of my worst shots of the day down short right of green but was able to pitch up to 10 feet from pin. However I lipped out birdie and took another par. It started raining the last three holes which was annoying.

Hole 8 another par 4 and hit good drive on left side, 105 yards from pin. Hit too much grass on approach and was just short on fringe of green. Very long uphill putt and wound up 3 putting for bogey.

Hole 9 was a long par 4 and hit a long drive but it went through the right side of fairway and behind a tree so I had to punch out to fairway 40 yards from green. Rain played a factor here as I chunked a pitch shot that was short of green. Chipped on and two putted for double bogey. Crappy finish but in was raining pretty hard so conditions were very bad.

Friend of mine just told me he is giving me two Masters Patron Series Badges. Sweet. His dad had been getting tickets since forever, and his Dad transferred his stake to my buddy so he always gets 2 tickets every year.

Plan is to go down with my brother (coming from Ft Myers) and two buddies (coming from BOS) . Hope to trade two Saturday for two Friday or something so all 4 of us can go together one day and then maybe split up the tickets the other days.

Now the planning starts. Where to stay? Where to fly into? Rent a car or rely on Ubers? What else to do?

Thoughts?

So 6 weekish with Golf Forever. Holding at 2 a week - a 3rd every once in a while. Definitely noticing a difference. Now the caveat is that I admittingly let myself fall apart the last 2-3 years so it wouldn't take much. Its nothing earth shattering exercise wise but since its focused on golf it benefits me the most. I'm not throwing up racks anymore - just want my game to improve.

I will say @gump if I'm ever down your way and we play a round and you bring out the swing trainer and attach it to a cart to warm up like they recommend, I will punch you square in the nose ;)

So 6 weekish with Golf Forever. Holding at 2 a week - a 3rd every once in a while. Definitely noticing a difference. Now the caveat is that I admittingly let myself fall apart the last 2-3 years so it wouldn't take much. Its nothing earth shattering exercise wise but since its focused on golf it benefits me the most. I'm not throwing up racks anymore - just want my game to improve.

I will say @gump if I'm ever down your way and we play a round and you bring out the swing trainer and attach it to a cart to warm up like they recommend, I will punch you square in the nose ;)
What "difference" are you noticing, and how good is it for just being a bit more fit generally?

Could you travel and do it in hotels?

Haha...yea those warmup videos crack me up. Pros who use it don't even do that in public. I am trying to remember to do a warmup routine before a play a $ game with friends vs my son. Need to get in that rhythm.
Glad to hear you like it...

What "difference" are you noticing, and how good is it for just being a bit more fit generally?

Could you travel and do it in hotels?
The difference i noticed was in rotational power and flexibility. The result is better ball-strking, and while i'm not measuring it...I'm sure my club head speed it up. It's not a massive distance difference, but much more consistent. Where I was beginning to struggle getting my usual max distance out of of irons for ex...165 7-iron...I was either coming up slightly short, over-swinging and not hitting it solid, or clubbing up. Now i'm back to a solid 165 with a routine swing, and am also hitting it higher with more spin and control.

You can fit it in your golf bag if you're traveling with that.

@shadrap was kind enough to invite me to play in his group today. We shot the same score though neither of us could buy a birdie...

Sorry for the Irish exit but had to deal with some work stuff. Somebody handed me $20 so let me know if I owe you anything!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread