What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Amazon Rings of Power Thread (1 Viewer)

Thought the finale was excellent.
I thought it was entertaining, but it's somewhat telling when the reaction to an entertaining episode is 3 Spoiler posts. I'm not clicking those because I enjoy the mystery of things, but... I'm not convinced I understand a lot of what I watched. Who is good? Who is bad? Who senses things nonverbally, and what are they sensing?. Just as example, I have no idea what Elron was thinking after finding the scroll in the water, but think I'm expected to understand suspicion of something based on ensuing scenes. Apparently Sauron is 2 different people. Oh well.

I thought it was entertaining, but it's somewhat telling when the reaction to an entertaining episode is 3 Spoiler posts. I'm not clicking those because I enjoy the mystery of things, but... I'm not convinced I understand a lot of what I watched. Who is good? Who is bad? Who senses things nonverbally, and what are they sensing?. Just as example, I have no idea what Elron was thinking after finding the scroll in the water, but think I'm expected to understand suspicion of something based on ensuing scenes. Apparently Sauron is 2 different people. Oh well.
My spoiler tags (and the responses from others to them) aren't really spoilers. I put them in tags because it was early on the day the episode was released. My comments/questions were about something that DIDN'T happen in the episode that has to happen and I was wondering if I missed it or something. If you've seen Jackson's movies, they won't spoil you at all.

So the guy who was on the boat that saved the girl elf is Sauron, the guy she has been searching for? Did he try and explain he didn't kill her brother? No idea who the guy is that arrived in the fire comet is.

So the guy who was on the boat that saved the girl elf is Sauron, the guy she has been searching for? Did he try and explain he didn't kill her brother? No idea who the guy is that arrived in the fire comet is.
Unless we are supposed to understand that 3 supernatural beings made a huge mistake, comet guy is also Sauron.

Unless we are supposed to understand that 3 supernatural beings made a huge mistake, comet guy is also Sauron.
I don't take it that way at all

?

Isnt it obvious he realized Halbrand was Sauron

I'm going they screwed up and that is Gandalf

Yeah you you need to rewatch

They mistook him for Sauron but it was pretty clear later on they were wrong and hes and Istar (aka Wizard). I know nothing about the books and this was pretty clear. They literally said it.

Guy on the boat was Sauron all along. He helped Galadriel fight because A) he wants her to join him to bring "peace" to middle Earth and B) they have a common enemy (Adar).

Comet guy is a wizard. We dont know his name.

I agree with this take, but if I as a viewer am supposed to doubt facts presented by supernatural creatures, I'm going to be lost throughout.

I agree with this take, but if I as a viewer am supposed to doubt facts presented by supernatural creatures, I'm going to be lost throughout.
This is a weird thing to draw the line at

This is a weird thing to draw the line at
:confused:

They literally said it themselves in the episode. They said "we are mistaken, this isn't Sauron. It's the other, an Istari." You must have missed it.

They literally said it themselves in the episode. They said "we are mistaken, this isn't Sauron. It's the other, an Istari." You must have missed it.
Ahh, indeed I did. Thanks!

I loved this season as well, and am very bullish on its future. I have read The Hobbit and the LOTR books but am ignorant of the lore beyond that. Haven’t felt the need to read through wiki on this show like I did House of the Dragon - just along for the ride and I loved it. Absolutely gorgeous.

I loved this season as well, and am very bullish on its future. I have read The Hobbit and the LOTR books but am ignorant of the lore beyond that. Haven’t felt the need to read through wiki on this show like I did House of the Dragon - just along for the ride and I loved it. Absolutely gorgeous.
Recommend reading the Silmarillion (or at least listen as audiobook). Has a lot of the backstory for characters you are seeing in RoP (Elrond Half-elven, Galadriel and her family, Gil-galad, Celebrimbor, Sauron, etc).

Last edited:
I only read the lord of the rings, and watched those movies so not fully into all the lore. But did do some quick reading about The wizards.
Even though they tried to force feed us to believe comet man is Gandalf, I think it is Saruman. He was good, until he became corrupted by Sauron, plus from what I read he came first... Thinking Gandalf will come later. :shrug:

I only read the lord of the rings, and watched those movies so not fully into all the lore. But did do some quick reading about The wizards.
Even though they tried to force feed us to believe comet man is Gandalf, I think it is Saruman. He was good, until he became corrupted by Sauron, plus from what I read he came first... Thinking Gandalf will come later. :shrug:
I think it's Gandalf. This would help to explain his love and respect for hobbits.

I think it's Gandalf. This would help to explain his love and respect for hobbits.
This is what I was thinking, the back half for sure. Too much sense.

Also aren't some of the Harfoot last names the same as Hobbits? I thought Brandyfoot was a surname for a Hobbit family but maybe not.

Also aren't some of the Harfoot last names the same as Hobbits? I thought Brandyfoot was a surname for a Hobbit family but maybe not.
There's a Brandywine Bridge and a Proudfoot surname. No Harfoot or Brandyfoot surnames for Hobbits as I recall, but the Harfeet (?) are supposed to be forebears of the Hobbits.

There's a Brandywine Bridge and a Proudfoot surname. No Harfoot or Brandyfoot surnames for Hobbits as I recall, but the Harfeet (?) are supposed to be forebears of the Hobbits.
I think Merry was a Brandybuck.

There we go. Yeah and her best friend was what, Proudfellow?

Clearly Hobbit forbears. Which does, to me, point to the Ishtar being Gandalf.

The Stranger also at the end says "When in doubt, Elanor Brandyfoot, always follow your nose"

Gandalf says similar in the Fellowship of the ring.
Yeah that pretty much sealed. Once he said the same line he used in the mines of Moria it's a lock IMO.

For as much of a blank slate a lot of this is, I thought the whole Sauron identity was way too telegraphed (both that Halbrand is him and the Stranger was some good maiar). Though the actual reveal of Sauron in the dream sequence was pretty cool, it is interesting to hear season 2 may explore this human version of Sauron and his motivations more.

The scene where the stranger shows off his power was really fun too.

Comet guy is Gandalf. “When in doubt, always follow your nose”. Dead giveaway.

Edit: someone already beat me to it.

Recommend reading the Silmarillion (or at least listen as audiobook). Has a lot of the backstory for characters you are seeing in RoP (Elrond Half-elven, Galadriel and her family, Gil-galad, Celebrimbor, Sauron, etc).
This. The story is there (obviously the TV show took huge liberties). The Silmarillion is a tough book to read though. Sort of like reading the beginning of Deuteronomy in the Bible (which I assume all FBG have done). Just a snoozer.

For as much of a blank slate a lot of this is, I thought the whole Sauron identity was way too telegraphed (both that Halbrand is him and the Stranger was some good maiar). Though the actual reveal of Sauron in the dream sequence was pretty cool, it is interesting to hear season 2 may explore this human version of Sauron and his motivations more.

The scene where the stranger shows off his power was really fun too.
Meh, it doesn't get much more "telegraph-y" than Saruman in the LotR imo, but that doesn't necessarily take away from the story. I agree the opportunity to explore Sauron's motivations will be good, but he's not actually human so I wouldn't expect a character arc.

This. The story is there (obviously the TV show took huge liberties). The Silmarillion is a tough book to read though. Sort of like reading the beginning of Deuteronomy in the Bible (which I assume all FBG have done). Just a snoozer.
True, but the first part of the Silmarillion (Ainulindalë ) is among the best stuff Tolkien ever wrote. If you are a LotR fan and haven't read this at least, you should.

So finished the season and I didn't like at all. I fell asleep during three different episodes and had to go back and watch sections of it. I will probably keep watching the show as I love fantasy and the lord of the ring novels but I do hope it improves in later seasons.

Also, my dislike had nothing to do with having an african american elf or anything along thoses lines. I don't care anything about that controversy my dislike is I found the acting bad and the plot boring.

One of my favorite shows I have watched in years :shrug:

Might actually watch it again real soon
Curious what you enjoyed so much about it? I'm not trying to be a hater, but agree with the prior posters this dragged a bit.
I am unsure I disagree with the "it dragged" part. I just enjoyed the journey. I don't need constant action or always some twist around every corner. I thought it was extremely well acted, the overall story was top notch, and there was just enough drama for my liking.

Curious what you enjoyed so much about it? I'm not trying to be a hater, but agree with the prior posters this dragged a bit.
I am unsure I disagree with the "it dragged" part. I just enjoyed the journey. I don't need constant action or always some twist around every corner. I thought it was extremely well acted, the overall story was top notch, and there was just enough drama for my liking.
Me too. Never had an issue with any of the episodes. I really liked the movies and this show reminded me of those. Reminded me of Fellowship in that this season had a lot more character introduction and less huge battles.

Me too. Never had an issue with any of the episodes. I really liked the movies and this show reminded me of those. Reminded me of Fellowship in that this season had a lot more character introduction and less huge battles.
For me, I actually only kinda liked the movies, but thought the shows were fantastic

True, but the first part of the Silmarillion (Ainulindalë ) is among the best stuff Tolkien ever wrote. If you are a LotR fan and haven't read this at least, you should.

Just catching up on this thread because I wanted to re-read a bunch of the Tolkien legendarium before watching the show.

To the bolded, wow. You really mean "Ainulindalë" and not "Valequenta" or "Quenta Silmarillion?" I am as about as big of a fanboy Tolkien nerd as you can get and even for me it is my least favorite part of the Silmarillion.

Anyway, as far as the show goes, I thought it was quite good but not great. Again, I'm a huge Tolkien nerd and have read The Silmarillion at least 5 times, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings more times than I can count, and even have read Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin, The Fall of Gondolin, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Bilbo's Last Song, a decent amount of The History of Middle Earth, and a decent amount of Tolkien's letters.

Messing with the timeline so badly annoyed me at first, but I got over it. I think since Tolkien himself compressed thousands of years of history into a few pages in his work, after the initial annoyance I became ok with compressing that same time period into a short period of screen time. Even though intellectually I know the timeline of the show doesn't make sense, it still doesn't feel that wrong.

Ultimately, while I would have preferred they do a lot of things differently, there wasn't anything in the series that I truly believed that if Tolkien saw it, he would think it was completely at odds with his vision of his world. So I was able to get past the parts I didn't like and appreciate the parts I did, which included several interesting characters and awesome production value.

I am excited to see what they do with Sauron. While I agree that Halbrand being Sauron was a little telegraphed, I still think they handled it very well and the way they set it up was consistent with how I always envisioned Sauron in the Second Age.

Regarding @Psychopav's caution to not expect a good Sauron story arc, I'm not so sure. I think there are passages in some of Tolkien's stuff that would suggest that Sauron can be a more complicated character and not just a manifestation of evil. In fact, I would even say that about Morgoth to some extent. But it is more clear with Sauron. At the end of the First Age even Eönwë believed that Sauron had the potential for redemption, and I think we are led to believe that is because there actually is a little more depth to him.

Just catching up on this thread because I wanted to re-read a bunch of the Tolkien legendarium before watching the show.

To the bolded, wow. You really mean "Ainulindalë" and not "Valequenta" or "Quenta Silmarillion?" I am as about as big of a fanboy Tolkien nerd as you can get and even for me it is my least favorite part of the Silmarillion.

Anyway, as far as the show goes, I thought it was quite good but not great. Again, I'm a huge Tolkien nerd and have read The Silmarillion at least 5 times, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings more times than I can count, and even have read Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin, The Fall of Gondolin, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, Bilbo's Last Song, a decent amount of The History of Middle Earth, and a decent amount of Tolkien's letters.

Messing with the timeline so badly annoyed me at first, but I got over it. I think since Tolkien himself compressed thousands of years of history into a few pages in his work, after the initial annoyance I became ok with compressing that same time period into a short period of screen time. Even though intellectually I know the timeline of the show doesn't make sense, it still doesn't feel that wrong.

Ultimately, while I would have preferred they do a lot of things differently, there wasn't anything in the series that I truly believed that if Tolkien saw it, he would think it was completely at odds with his vision of his world. So I was able to get past the parts I didn't like and appreciate the parts I did, which included several interesting characters and awesome production value.

I am excited to see what they do with Sauron. While I agree that Halbrand being Sauron was a little telegraphed, I still think they handled it very well and the way they set it up was consistent with how I always envisioned Sauron in the Second Age.

Regarding @Psychopav's caution to not expect a good Sauron story arc, I'm not so sure. I think there are passages in some of Tolkien's stuff that would suggest that Sauron can be a more complicated character and not just a manifestation of evil. In fact, I would even say that about Morgoth to some extent. But it is more clear with Sauron. At the end of the First Age even Eönwë believed that Sauron had the potential for redemption, and I think we are led to believe that is because there actually is a little more depth to him.
The timeline stuff, I got over pretty quickly as it made sense to me why they were doing that. And Galadriel not telling the others about Sauron I can kinda hand-wave away as ring-greed.

Still having a REAL hard time getting past the Mithril Tree, though. That remains - to my mind - dumb and unnecessary, even if I weren't into all of the backstory.

The timeline stuff, I got over pretty quickly as it made sense to me why they were doing that. And Galadriel not telling the others about Sauron I can kinda hand-wave away as ring-greed.

Still having a REAL hard time getting past the Mithril Tree, though. That remains - to my mind - dumb and unnecessary, even if I weren't into all of the backstory.
There are a lot of problems with this show, those are just a few. The visuals and sound are fantastic. The acting is mostly good to very good. The directing and story editing is so-so. The writing is pretty bad, all the way around.

Yes, this was probably one of the dumbest parts to me as well. But I got over it. Partly because even in his own works the powers and effects of various artifacts in Tolkien's world seems rather malleable to fit the story (obviously the One Ring is the greatest example of this). Additionally, it is very clear that anything the light of the Two Trees touches in even the most indirect manner gets imbued with tremendous power. Look at the Phial of Galadriel, for instance.

To be clear, I'm not saying I like the mithril thing in any way. I agree it is unnecessary and dumb. Like I said, I just don't think that if Tolkien were viewing this he would think that is completely contrary to his overarching themes. I think he would hate the series, but for other reasons than that.

Yes, I really mean that. He did a great job of setting up the theology that underpins his entire worldview. I agree 100% with the rest of your post, and hope you're right about the Sauron arc (I agree there are opportunities for his redemption but it feels like the show is past that at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread