What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (3 Viewers)

@tommyboy and others with his POV in the media are offering process arguments: the President should be able to question his accusers, there was no vote for an impeachment inquiry, the phone call never should have been listened to in the first place, etc. 

None of these arguments, from what I am able to understand as a layman, have any legal legitimacy, though as I have stated in the past the failure of a vote may have an effect on public opinion. But more importantly, none of them touch on the main issue of the phone conversation and whether or not Trump committed an impeachable offense. In fact these arguments seem to be an evasion of that issue because very few Trump defenders want tackle it. The two most common defenses have been Trump did nothing wrong, (I think of this as the “Don’t Noonan Defense”) or Trump did something wrong but it doesn’t rise to the level of an impeachable offense (I think of this as the “Susan Collins Defense”; she hasn’t said this but eventually she will.) In neither case is any explanation offered for making such a determination. 

A third defense was offered this morning by the completely disreputable Alan Dershowitz: 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/hamilton-wouldnt-impeach-trump/ar-AAIxBpg

I’ll let you read it for yourself but the gist is that it doesn’t matter what Trump did on that phone call because he can do whatever he wants. Dershowitz makes the spurious claim that every President subverts foreign policy to his personal interest; he offers no examples. 

No wonder they attack the process; it’s all they really have. 
“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”

“If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.”
I always heard it as "When you have the facts, pound the facts.  When you have the law, pound the law.  When you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table."

In tense testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI) on Friday, the inspector general for federal spy agencies refused to disclose why his office backdated secret changes to key whistleblower forms and rules in the wake of an anti-Trump whistleblower complaint filed in August, sources told The Federalist.

As The Federalist reported and the Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG) confirmed, the spy watchdog secretly changed its whistleblower forms and internal rules in September to eliminate a requirement that whistleblowers provide first-hand evidence to support any allegations of wrongdoing. In a press release last week, the ICIG confessed that it changed its rules in response to an anti-Trump complaint filed on August 12. That complaint, which was declassified and released by President Donald Trump in September, was based entirely on second-hand information,  https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/07/intel-community-ig-stonewalling-congress-on-backdated-whistleblower-rule-changes/

Michael Atkinson, the intelligence community inspector general, told HPSCI lawmakers during a committee oversight hearing on Friday that the whistleblower forms and rules changes were made in September, even though the new forms and guidance, which were not uploaded to the ICIG’s website until September 24, state that they were changed in August. Despite having a full week to come up with explanations for his office’s decisions to secretly change its forms to eliminate the requirement for first-hand evidence and to backdate those changes to August, Atkinson refused to provide any explanation to lawmakers baffled by his behavior.

In tense testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (HPSCI) on Friday, the inspector general for federal spy agencies refused to disclose why his office backdated secret changes to key whistleblower forms and rules in the wake of an anti-Trump whistleblower complaint filed in August, sources told The Federalist.

As The Federalist reported and the Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG) confirmed, the spy watchdog secretly changed its whistleblower forms and internal rules in September to eliminate a requirement that whistleblowers provide first-hand evidence to support any allegations of wrongdoing. In a press release last week, the ICIG confessed that it changed its rules in response to an anti-Trump complaint filed on August 12. That complaint, which was declassified and released by President Donald Trump in September, was based entirely on second-hand information,  https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/07/intel-community-ig-stonewalling-congress-on-backdated-whistleblower-rule-changes/

Michael Atkinson, the intelligence community inspector general, told HPSCI lawmakers during a committee oversight hearing on Friday that the whistleblower forms and rules changes were made in September, even though the new forms and guidance, which were not uploaded to the ICIG’s website until September 24, state that they were changed in August. Despite having a full week to come up with explanations for his office’s decisions to secretly change its forms to eliminate the requirement for first-hand evidence and to backdate those changes to August, Atkinson refused to provide any explanation to lawmakers baffled by his behavior.
The actual link I posted addresses this article. 

As The Federalist reported and the Intelligence Community Inspector General (ICIG) confirmed, the spy watchdog secretly changed its whistleblower forms and internal rules in September to eliminate a requirement that whistleblowers provide first-hand evidence to support any allegations of wrongdoing. In a press release last week, the ICIG confessed that it changed its rules in response to an anti-Trump complaint filed on August 12.
The IG said the form was the same and had been in place since May 2018. And direct knowledge was never a requirement. The Federalist is flat out wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I told you there was a leader of a country who...

1. Invited foreign assistance in digging up dirt on his political opponents

2. Called his country’s media ‘fake news’ and claimed that the media was out to get him

3. Believed foreign leaders over his own intelligence community and consistently denigrated and dismisses his nation’s law enforcement and national intelligence apparatus

4. Coordinated with specific news outlets that were friendly to him a d had a pipeline of hiring people from this friendly news outlet

5. Dismissed his military advisers and made foreign policy decisions that harmed his allies and benefited other nations that were at odds with his

6. Pulled out of treaties and created unnecessary and damaging trade wars/disputes

7. Was known to be a highly corrupt businessman with highly questionable financial ties to foreign powers (who benefited from #2, 5 and 6 above)

and

8. Tweeted/spoke/wrote verifiable falsehoods on a nearly hourly basis to convince the population he was a victim of vast internal conspiracies...

Which nation(s) would you assume this man was leading?

2. Called his country’s media ‘fake news’ and claimed that the media was out to get him

3. Believed foreign leaders over his own intelligence community and consistently denigrated and dismisses his nation’s law enforcement and national intelligence apparatus

4. Coordinated with specific news outlets that were friendly to him a d had a pipeline of hiring people from this friendly news outlet

5. Dismissed his military advisers and made foreign policy decisions that harmed his allies and benefited other nations that were at odds with his

6. Pulled out of treaties and created unnecessary and damaging trade wars/disputes

7. Was known to be a highly corrupt businessman with highly questionable financial ties to foreign powers (who benefited from #2, 5 and 6 above)

and

8. Tweeted/spoke/wrote verifiable falsehoods on a nearly hourly basis to convince the population he was a victim of vast internal conspiracies...

The United States of Mountain Dew?

and

Saudi America?

and

Knowing what I know now, the US. Before Trump, I would have guessed somewhere in either Central America or a former Soviet state.

This is an interesting thought - because it seems to conflict with your notion of the "true" whistleblowers - who publicly disclosed state secrets.

I am of the position that the President works for the People.  Nothing the president does should be shielded from the people.*

*When national security is involved, the people are represented by Congress who should have the right to oversee those conversations.  No president should be engaged in secret conversations, unchecked by the people.
This is a fair point too.  I think whistleblowing to me means seeing wrongdoing in your agency/outfit and getting it out to the public.  Like a military contractor leaking about torture, or an NSA contractor making disclosures about mass surveillance etc.  I think those have clearcut public interest defenses and are clear examples of wrongdoing that shouldn't be protected by overclassification. Maybe Snowden was out to get the NSA or something, but even if that were the case, he revealed information on illegal mass spying programs that the public obviously has a right to know about.  

This one doesn't have the same feel to me as those other whistleblowers.  The guiding principle appears to be about incriminating a President the whistleblower doesn't like rather than standing up for democracy, or whatever.  The CIA ####s on democracy all the time.  To the extent that people blow the whistle about it, they often face massive punishment from within their own organization, as well as the justice system that is supposed to protect them.  These people don't give a #### about democracy, and it's insulting to pretend that they do.  They just want their preferred ruling faction to have power again.  

I'm troubled by the fact that they've carved out a very special definition for the whistleblower in this case.  He 'followed the letter of the law' and made a 'credible' complaint and deserves our support, but those other guys didn't, so they can basically get locked in a cage until they die. 

For the second time, the 'victim' so to speak is another establishment insider- first it was Hillary Clinton, how the Russian interference sabotaged our democracy by revealing the Party cheated to help her, how it was the 'crime of the century,' a 'digital pearl harbor,' an interference campaign 'worse than 9/11' etc. 

Now it's Joe Biden- again, I can't emphasize enough, an individual that helped illegally overthrow a sovereign govt, whose son magically got a $50k/mo job 2 months later- who is beyond investigation.  Sorry, but these are the most powerful people in the world- their sour grapes about getting caught subverting a democratic election process, or attempting to conceal their wrongdoing abroad from investigative scrutiny, are not something I give a #### about.  Again, we are subjected to a palace intrigue narrative that serves powerful ruling elites, that will do nothing to improve the lives of people that are dying to our wars, or getting chewed up and spit out by our frankenhealthcare system. 

I know people see it purely as upholding the law and holding Trump accountable- I want that too, for his support of genocide in Yemen, his child prison camp system, his war crimes in Venezuela, and numerous other things that are far more consequential and dangerous than this- this just feels like the new chum for people looking for a fix after the last Trump impeachment crusade.  

I would like the hardcore Trump supporters just to answer the simple question of whether they think Trump is a good man. Take away the fact that he is president. The man himself - would you want your sister, or daughter, or friend to marry him? Would you enjoy his company and want to hang out with him? Would you seek his advice when things were going south in your life?

Whether he is a good person may not matter to some and it may not matter whether he is a good president. But I am curious if they are defending him just because he is not a snow flakey liberal, or whether they think he is a solid, and just man, who is only doing all these things to better this country.

I'm troubled by the fact that they've carved out a very special definition for the whistleblower in this case.  He 'followed the letter of the law' and made a 'credible' complaint and deserves our support, but those other guys didn't, so they can basically get locked in a cage until they die. 
There is a major distinction here that you continually fail to recognize.  You may see Snowden as heroic, but what he did was criminal.   He actually could have followed the letter of the law, but didn't.   Some of us think the law is pretty important.

Earlier today I mentioned the 3 arguments Republicans have offered for the phone call: 

1. He did nothing wrong. 

2. He did something wrong but it doesn’t rise to the level of impeachable offense. 

3. Placing one’s own political interest above the nation when conducting foreign policy is not a high crime. (Dershowitz) 

And now I’ve been hearing a 4th argument, which goes like this: 

It doesn’t matter what he’s done; we shouldn’t  impeach him because there’s an election in 2020; let the public decide Trump’s fate. 

Apparently Corey Gardner has been making this argument, and other senators may as well; I’m doing to call it the “Merrick Garland Special”. To my mind it’s just as nonsensical as the others, because consider the implications: what Gardner is saying is that over the next 12 months we can have a lawless President; he can commit any crime and nothing can happen to him until election. 

and for the record, this "impeachment" is the result of our intelligence agencies spying on the presidents protected conversation with the president of a foreign country.   This is what you are in favor of.  So we know the rules for the next time a Dem is the President.   This is what you are in favor of now.
Trump releases a summary of the phone call which was Damming enough. 

The reason the firsthand vs. secondhand knowledge doesn't matter is that everything in the first whistleblower's report turned out to be accurate based on documents released by the White House or on information that otherwise later became public.
This simply isn't true and it needs to be called out.  Everything??? I am going to assume that was a typo because you are better than this.

Donald Trump tried to distance himself from the latest scandal that threatens his presidency on Thursday by saying he didn’t know either of the foreign-born Rudy Giuliani associates that his own Justice Department had just indicted for alleged campaign finance violations.

But that’s not what one of the men said three years ago — while attending Trump’s invite-only 2016 election night party in New York.

In fact, Lev Parnas described himself to a foreign correspondent at the cash-bar event in midtown Manhattan as a friend of the president-elect who didn’t live far from his South Florida winter home.

Parnas arrived at Trump’s November 2016 election night party, which was held in a ballroom at the Midtown Hilton, with two other men in suits and their heavily made-up wives, according to a forgotten but newly relevant dispatch from the event published at the time in Le Figaro, France’s oldest daily newspaper.

The Ukrainian-born businessman told the paper that a friend from his hometown of Boca Raton, Fla., had hosted several fundraising events for Trump and that his daughter had traveled around the state singing on the candidate’s behalf. It is not clear what friend Parnas was referring to.

“We are confident,” Parnas, told the newspaper, “America wants a change.” The newspaper described Parnas as an insurer. (Parnas co-founded a company, Fraud Guarantee, that at some point retained Giuliani as a lawyer.)

The new detail connecting Trump and Parnas at the same election night party in November 2016 raises fresh questions about the president’s insistence that he doesn’t know the Ukrainian-born businessman.
Politico

On Monday, the House Oversight Committee demanded documents and communications related to influential billionaire Ihor Kolomoisky as part of its subpoena of Giuliani.

>>>The involvement of Kolomoisky and Firtash complicates the already mind-boggling array of factions and agendas that form the backdrop of the Ukraine scandal. Because both face potential criminal liability in the U.S., both have reason to align themselves with Trump and try to ingratiate themselves to the president’s allies, according to Ukraine experts.

But the exact nature of Kolomoisky’s role in this saga isn’t yet clear. The billionaire owns the television network, 1+1, on which actor Volodymr Zelensky starred in a television show that catapulted him to political prominence. Kolomoisky — embroiled in a bitter feud with Zelensky’s predecessor, Petro Poroshenko — also became Zelensky’s biggest backer in his successful bid to unseat Poroshenko and claim the presidency this spring.

Kolomoisky allegedly stole billions of dollars from his bank, PrivatBank, before it was nationalized by Ukraine in 2016, according to a lawsuit filed in Delaware by the bank’s new leadership. How much influence he will yield in Zelensky’s government is one of the biggest questions hanging over the new president’s administration.

Another important question is what Kolomoisky might be seeking from Trump.

This spring, two Florida-based, Soviet-born businessmen who are aiding Giuliani’s effort traveled to Israel, where Kolomoisky has been holed up while he faces legal jeopardy in the U.S. and Ukraine.

Kolomoisky told the Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project, a consortium of investigative journalists, that the businessmen, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, approached him about a natural gas venture, but they instead used the meeting to seek an audience for Giuliani with Zelensky. Kolomoisky said he refused the request, while Giuliani has claimed that Kolomoisky defamed Parnas and Fruman.

But there is more to Kolomoisky’s role in this saga beyond an apparently unpleasant meeting. Kolomoisky, who is known for his bravado, has been claiming to have damaging information on the Bidens, according to people familiar with the situation.

"He's been floating that out for quite a while, to keep himself relevant to the whole discussion, and he would also like to ingratiate himself to Trump," said Ken McCallion, an attorney who brought a federal suit that was later dismissed against Firtash over the alleged natural gas scheme on behalf of former Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko. "He's been kind of cryptic and cute about it,” said McCallion, who remains in close touch with contacts in Ukraine. McCallion indicated Kolomoisky was claiming to have information about both Bidens, “the father and the son."

Another person familiar with Kolomoisky’s claims said the oligarch was claiming to possess valuable information in order to gain leverage in an FBI investigation of him underway in Ohio that is reportedly focused on possible financial crimes.

A lawyer for Kolomoisky, Mike Sullivan at Ashcroft Law Firm, did not respond to requests for comment. In May, Kolomoisky told the Kyiv Post that he has committed no crime and that any federal probe will “result in nothing, as usual.”

While Kolomoisky’s connection to the saga counts as a twist, for close Ukraine watchers, it hardly comes as a surprise. "Kolomoisky is a person who gets involved in every issue,” said Anders Aslund, a Swedish economist and senior fellow at the Atlantic Council. “He loves fighting, and he has an extraordinary capability to get into the details and be effective in the worst fashion."<<<

I really don't understand why Trump and his crewe are so tied into stuff going on in the former Eastern bloc area.  I don't recall other politicians or even well known businesspeople having so many connections in this area.

Yasha Levine @yashalevine

People voted for Trump with the full knowledge that he was a corrupt, lying #######. That’s democracy. That’s how it works. Trying to reverse an election through an undemocratic process—driven by spooks and an oligarchic—media is a coup. Support the coup, fine. But it‘s a coup.

There’s still a semi-functional democracy in America. It’s not some sort of dictatorship, where the only way to remove a leader is through extra-legal or undemocratic means. To get rid of Trump democratically isn’t impossible, but it would require a new politics.

But a new politics is something the ruling elite of this country cannot abide. And so we have this never-ending psychological war.

People voted for Trump with the full knowledge that he was a corrupt, lying #######. That’s democracy. That’s how it works. Trying to reverse an election through an undemocratic process—driven by spooks and an oligarchic—media is a coup. Support the coup, fine. But it‘s a coup.

There’s still a semi-functional democracy in America. It’s not some sort of dictatorship, where the only way to remove a leader is through extra-legal or undemocratic means. To get rid of Trump democratically isn’t impossible, but it would require a new politics.

But a new politics is something the ruling elite of this country cannot abide. And so we have this never-ending psychological war.
What percentage of the American people would support a constitutional amendment to revoke the ability to impeach a President?  My guess is it would be in single digits.

This process is not undemocratic.

And that they knew he was corrupt does not give him carte blanche to keep being corrupt.  That is why we have impeachment and congressional oversight.

To call this a coup is laughably false.  And dangerous.

apalmer said:
A blurb on the Today show this morning: "White House sources have told NBC news that the President didn't always know what Rudy was doing."

Rudy, come on over and lie down here on the street...we'd like you to meet the bus.
In the WH’s defense, Rudy clearly didn’t always know what he was doing, either. 

This is seriously a stupid statement. 

I disagree with this characterization. Trump tried very hard to conceal just what a dirtbag he is- paying off women, hiding his tax returns, calling criticism “fake news.” Impeachment isn’t a coup. Removing Trump from power, if it were even to occur, should still leave mike pence in charge. If pence is implicated somehow and gets impeached, then Pelosi is in charge. That, which is an extreme long shot, still isn’t a coup. It’s democracy, backed up by the constitution. Simply having a different political party in charge doesn’t somehow make it a coup, following the succession set up by the constitution is what should occur, and I don’t know what to say other than don’t elect dirty people. 

Impeachment is not a coup.  It is a process explicitly mandated in the Constitution, performed by a Congress elected by the people with fill knowledge that oversight of the executive branch is part of the job.  In 2018, there were legislators elected who ran on the premise of impeaching Trump (if warranted).

The blanket statement that impeachment is a coup ignores the Constitution all together.

You can say impeachment isn't warranted all you want but these claims that impeachment=coup is more dangerous than impeachment itself because it implies the president has no oversight between elections.

If impeachment is a coup... then the 1990s in American history needs a huge rewrite. A coup over a BJ. How Puritanical we once were... all the way back in the 1990s.

timschochet said:
Earlier today I mentioned the 3 arguments Republicans have offered for the phone call: 

1. He did nothing wrong. 

2. He did something wrong but it doesn’t rise to the level of impeachable offense. 

3. Placing one’s own political interest above the nation when conducting foreign policy is not a high crime. (Dershowitz) 

And now I’ve been hearing a 4th argument, which goes like this: 

It doesn’t matter what he’s done; we shouldn’t  impeach him because there’s an election in 2020; let the public decide Trump’s fate. 

Apparently Corey Gardner has been making this argument, and other senators may as well; I’m doing to call it the “Merrick Garland Special”. To my mind it’s just as nonsensical as the others, because consider the implications: what Gardner is saying is that over the next 12 months we can have a lawless President; he can commit any crime and nothing can happen to him until election. 
Here's the worst case scenario that's been running through my mind. It sounds absurd but nothing really sounds absurd with this particular presidency. The Senate stalls stalls stalls on its impeachment trial to let Trump run amok fixing the 2020 election, using Senate Republicans and a complacent DOJ to ignore blatant voter suppression in the battleground states. Millions are prevented from voting, with no legal recourse available in time, and Trump squeaks by again. Then, having secured the White House and Senate, Moscow Mitch turns on him, knowing that the party can't survive another four years of the rampant cheating and idocy of Donald Trump, and they convict him, content with installing a docile Mike Dense for the run down the final home stretch.

There's a lot of ways that can all fall apart but it may represent a better chance for a party in steep decline than playing by the normal rules and settling for fair elections. If they're looking at a decade of being tarred by the stigma of DJT and losing the last branch of the government, they'll pull out all the stops. Hell, it's why they're stacking the courts with Heritage Foundation trainees now.

Here's the worst case scenario that's been running through my mind. It sounds absurd but nothing really sounds absurd with this particular presidency. The Senate stalls stalls stalls on its impeachment trial to let Trump run amok fixing the 2020 election, using Senate Republicans and a complacent DOJ to ignore blatant voter suppression in the battleground states. Millions are prevented from voting, with no legal recourse available in time, and Trump squeaks by again. Then, having secured the White House and Senate, Moscow Mitch turns on him, knowing that the party can't survive another four years of the rampant cheating and idocy of Donald Trump, and they convict him, content with installing a docile Mike Dense for the run down the final home stretch.

There's a lot of ways that can all fall apart but it may represent a better chance for a party in steep decline than playing by the normal rules and settling for fair elections. If they're looking at a decade of being tarred by the stigma of DJT and losing the last branch of the government, they'll pull out all the stops. Hell, it's why they're stacking the courts with Heritage Foundation trainees now.
That’s not a worst case scenario for me. Any scenario that removes Trump, even one that would ensure 4 years of Mike Pence, is far more preferable to what we have now. 

Those of you liberals who shudder at a Pence Presidency, like those of you conservatives who shuddered at a Hillary Presidency, still don’t get it IMO. You don’t get how uniquely awful Donald Trump has been. Trump is an existential threat to American institutions. There is no other political figure alive that comes even close to his awfulness. Full stop. 

, and I don’t know what to say other than don’t elect dirty people. 
How about if you do elect dirty people, remove them when they commit high crimes and/or misdemeanors.  It's not that complicated.

Yes, we knew who Trump was when elected, but he was NOT elected with the mandate to pressure foreign leaders to investigate Democrats.

This is seriously a stupid statement. 
Bush taking advantage of a national tragedy and deliberately lying to launch an illegitimate war, torture, murder, and displace millions of people- no impeachment. 

Obama assassinating a 16-year old boy, a US citizen, with a flying robot and no due process whatsoever- no impeachment. 

Obama agreeing to support the Saudi-run genocide in Yemen, then Trump doubling down on it- no impeachment.  

Obama opening child prison camps, then Trump expanding them- no impeachment.   

Trump asking a foreign leader to investigate a political figure's actions in that leader's country- Impeach!

This, is complete bull####.  I think Trump is worthy of being impeached, for his actual high crimes and misdemeanors.  That would force an important conversation about entrenched, systemic, bipartisan US policy.  This is just the 2nd attempt, driven in large part by the intelligence apparatus, to remove Trump from office by any means necessary.  If you support that, fine, but don't confuse it with a rule-of-law, democratic process.  

You do know that's not why Clinton was impeached, right?
Sure, but which topic should Trump be impeached under because there are many of them for us to choose from. If lying is a prerequisite for impeachment... well, we would have crossed the impeachment, rather coup, bridge many moons ago. Correct?

For somebody who claims he doesn't support Trump, you sure seem to post a lot of pro-Trump stuff.  

Users who are viewing this thread