What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official "If You Think The Patriots Deserve An Asterisk" Thr (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Ok. I hear you on all this and there are lots of valid points on this theme. Getting busted for cheating is a big deal. It was a big deal when Shawne Merriman and Jason Taylor were battling for Defensive Player of The Year. It's a big deal now. But it's not the end of the world. That's annoying. And it's just as annoying to sweep it under the rug and act like nothing happened.

But we've hit the limit.

If you don't like what NE is doing whether it's running up the score or leg whipping or thinking their records deserve an asterisk or whatever - keep it to this thread.

I don't want a ton of threads on the board doing the same thing so we're going to have this one.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
But we've hit the limit.If you don't like what NE is doing whether it's running up the score or leg whipping or thinking their records deserve an asterisk or whatever - keep it to this thread.I don't want a ton of threads on the board doing the same thing so we're going to have this one.
Thank you. Thank You. Thank you.

Do all the "Patriots get no respect" threads started by Pats fans when ESPN takes a five minute break from talking about them also go here? Or will that be a different thread?

i love what NE and Brady are doing. Not a fan of NE or Brady, just a fan of greatness. we are watching the greatest team and QB EVER

Do all the "Patriots get no respect" threads started by Pats fans when ESPN takes a five minute break from talking about them also go here? Or will that be a different thread?
This is precisely the type of whining that belongs in this thread - great job! :shock:

Will there be an official Patriots homer thread so they can all stay in there patting each other on the backs?

Will there be an official Patriots homer thread so they can all stay in there patting each other on the backs?
I wanna go on record as saying I am neither a Homer nor a hater.But I do hate both of those sets of posters.Homers: Yes you are experiencing something great, but stop being so sensitive about everyone else not having the same man love about the Pats. We all have our own favourite teams, thanks.Haters: Get over yourselves. You're all just jealous. I'm a Browns fan, and while I am grateful for the way the season is going now after that horrible start, I'd be lying if I said I preferred it to being undefeated and destroying/embarassing everyone in my path.As an NFL fans, we should just admire seeing something that is pretty incredible, whether we like it or not.

Anything the Pats do this year is 100% credible, or incredible if you've watched the games. Anything prior to this year is 100% debatable. My take is they don't deserve the recognition of a dynasty with all of the controversy...tuck rule, questionable officiating, CHEATING.

It is a shame. I liked the Patriots; I rooted for them in all their SBs (except the Carolina one). And in a weird way, I would like to see Moss win one. Coach is a #####, but that doesn't bug me. It all changed when a guy from MA started working in my office (I live in Iowa). He is so freakin' annoying, it has tainted everything. I want to enjoy this, but I can't.

We have all heard about the Pats running up the score and not being classy, blah, blah, blah. What I want to know is, what about the NE defense? Can one of the "classy experts" fill us in on the rules for the NE defense.

Should the Defense continue to play hard being up 50-10 with a quarter left to play and continue trying to stop that opposing team thats getting killed or should they just all at once lay on their back once the ball is snapped so the other team can score? can we get some clarification on this? TIA

The Patriots lack sportsmanship. I have never disliked a team more than I dislike the Patriots. And I am sure that if Favre were on the Patriots he would not stand for it. I hope they don't win the Superbowl. I hope no Patriot gets the MVP. And I hope this season is a black mark on the legacy of every Patriot play and coach. As far as Brady being the best QB ever, I don't believe it. He is very good, but any QB would look good with that O-Line. I have never seen a QB get the kind of protection Brady is getting. And while his numbers are staggering, he is padding his stats. That makes whatever records Brady sets this year an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.

All right - I hate the Patriots.

It was not always that way - and it is not entirely the Patriots' fault. I can still remember when the dynasty started - I was sitting in my family room getting ready to watch the Super Bowl- and had been hoping that some team could knock off the "Greatest Show on Turf" - the "Evil" team of the day - damn Mike Martz and his unstoppable offense. It was right after the Rams' offense was introduced, that I realized the Patriots were different - almost unnoticed - the Patriots defense was introduced en masse. Finally a team understood the concept of "team" > "player".

Sure enough, the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl and the Patriots' era had begun. As an organization, they embodided everything you would like about a team, professionalism, team-first mentality, well coached, no trouble-makers.

Along the way, the Patriots won a few SBs, the Red Sox a couple of WSs, and just for good measure the Celtics have opened this season looking like the class of the East (does anyone really care about the Bruins?). SO now, we have an entire region of fans who have gone from insufferable losers to insufferable winners. We empathize with loveable losers, but we despises insufferable winners.

So, now that the Patriots have put together the most dominant team in NFL history, instead of cheering, most fans are loathing. (I don't think there is a plausible argument that the current Patriots do not have the best combination of offense, defense, and special teams. They still have to win the Super Bowl to stand the test of time - but through 10-weeks they have the best team we have ever seen.) The Patriots have come full-circle. We love to take an underdog, build them up, and then knock them off the pedestal.

The Patriots are so good right now, that they can not help but look like they are kicking teams when they are down. And, ultimately, I think that is where this boils down. Because many folks are looking for a reason to hate the Patriots, the Patriots now come across as the school bully. Instead of awe at the offensive fire-power, I see arrogance, and disdain. It always looks like the Patriots are kicking teams when they are down.

Don't get me wrong, the Patriots throw, and run up the score, for the same reason a dog licks his balls, because they can. But just because you can, does not mean you should. The Patriots are the best team I have ever seen - and I will root for the Steelers, Giants and whoever meets them in the play-offs to win - but I am not holding my breath.

The Patriots lack sportsmanship. I have never disliked a team more than I dislike the Patriots. And I am sure that if Favre were on the Patriots he would not stand for it. I hope they don't win the Superbowl. I hope no Patriot gets the MVP. And I hope this season is a black mark on the legacy of every Patriot play and coach. As far as Brady being the best QB ever, I don't believe it. He is very good, but any QB would look good with that O-Line. I have never seen a QB get the kind of protection Brady is getting. And while his numbers are staggering, he is padding his stats. That makes whatever records Brady sets this year an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.
I don't know if this is accurate. to date, Brady has thrown 25 TD's in the first half, and 13 in the second half. Brady has thrown 2+ TD's in the first quarter 3x, in the second quarter 4x, 0x in the third, and one time in the 4th, but that was the colts game where the pats were actually down by more than a TD in the fourth. It should be pretty easy to see that the Pats have actually scaled things back in the second half - I don't know where the running up the score bit comes from.Is it really honest to accuse the Pats of running up the score when they have cut passing TD production in half during the second half? imagine if they really were running up the score, or at least scored at the same rate in the second half that they did in the first - Brady would have 50 TD's already.

Ok. I hear you on all this and there are lots of valid points on this theme. Getting busted for cheating is a big deal. It was a big deal when Shawne Merriman and Jason Taylor were battling for Defensive Player of The Year. It's a big deal now. But it's not the end of the world. That's annoying. And it's just as annoying to sweep it under the rug and act like nothing happened. But we've hit the limit.If you don't like what NE is doing whether it's running up the score or leg whipping or thinking their records deserve an asterisk or whatever - keep it to this thread.I don't want a ton of threads on the board doing the same thing so we're going to have this one.J
:) Oh my God. Thank you Joe from the bottom of my heart. I was thinking about asking for a thread like this but I didn't think anyone would take it seriously. This is like someone uncovering my eyes outside and finding a new Lexus with a huge bow on it in my driveway. If I could deliver Bette Middler to your office singing "Hero" I would but I need to save some $ for Christmas. This Thanksgiving I am going to stand at the head of the table and give thanks for this thread.

They're not running up the score. If you say that then you have to say that Green Bay ran up the score in Lambeau against the Vikings by throwing a TD when the game was clearly over.

It's amazing to me what a joke the NFL is this year. All these high priced franchises are being annhilated by the Patriots and it's not like they snuck up on them, they've been good for quite a while.

We have all heard about the Pats running up the score and not being classy, blah, blah, blah. What I want to know is, what about the NE defense? Can one of the "classy experts" fill us in on the rules for the NE defense.Should the Defense continue to play hard being up 50-10 with a quarter left to play and continue trying to stop that opposing team thats getting killed or should they just all at once lay on their back once the ball is snapped so the other team can score? can we get some clarification on this? TIA
It's not really that complicated. Sort of along the same lines as the offense. When the game is clearly out of hand, you show some class and let the 2nd team guys get some experience playing time. Cassel played last night for a reason. You're welcome.J

We have all heard about the Pats running up the score and not being classy, blah, blah, blah. What I want to know is, what about the NE defense? Can one of the "classy experts" fill us in on the rules for the NE defense.Should the Defense continue to play hard being up 50-10 with a quarter left to play and continue trying to stop that opposing team thats getting killed or should they just all at once lay on their back once the ball is snapped so the other team can score? can we get some clarification on this? TIA
It's not really that complicated. Sort of along the same lines as the offense. When the game is clearly out of hand, you show some class and let the 2nd team guys get some experience playing time. Cassel played last night for a reason. J
Not sure what's worse for the opposing team. Having the team that's beating you keep beating you or seeing them "let up" and essentially tell you that your not worth the "effort". I can see both sides but being on the wrong side of it a few times in softball I can't stand seeing a rope to the wall and seeing the guy sitting on first before I can even get to the ball. JMHO!

QUOTE(Mr Anonymous @ Nov 18 2007, 07:34 PM) *

YES

And next to the asterisk, it should read...

Brady could have thrown about 15 more but Bill Belichick foolishly called off the dogs numerous times with New England leading by only 40+ points with 2 minutes left.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

:goodposting:

...agreed, plus he was pulled for nearly

the whole 4th quarter tonight, costing himself

at least 3 more TD passes to add to his record setting total.

asterisk without hesitation.

(taken from closed thread.)

You do know Brady identifies ther blitzers and sets the protections right? That Koppen then relays it to the rest of the line and sometimes Tom Brady re-sets the protection two orthree times pre-snap once he gets the defense to indentify itself.

The problem wih this thread is, by grouping all of the complaints about the Patriots in one thread, you're giving them all equal weight, which actually means very little wieght, and by doing so you're basically agreeing with the Patriot homers who argue that all of this is envy, anyhow.

Let's break down the complaints against the Patriots:

1. They are cheaters.

Since the league penalized them, I don't think there is any doubt. To those who argue, "So what, others did it," I would answer: if others did it, they are wrong. I want my children to learn that cheating is unnacceptable. The Patriots are a poor example for kids, and this will not change no matter whaqt happens this season.

2. Becasue they are cheaters, an asterisk should be added to this season.

No. Had I been Commissioner, I would have punished them a little more, but it is what it is. Let the punishment stand, and separate it from this season.

3. The Patriots run up the score.

The fact that this is sitll even argues amazes me. Not to repeat it endlessly, it is NOT running up the score by continuing to play hard. You do NOT need to take a knee, and you can keep your starters in well into the 4th quarter, if you want. But going for it on 4th and 2 when you're up 35-7 or 42-7 is proof that you're running up the score. Throwing deep on 1st down when you're up by 28 or more points is also proof, though admittedly more arguable.

4. Running up the score is classless.

this is a separate argument from running up the score. I happen to think it IS classless, and that there is no justification for this. But there are decent arguments I have heard for the other side, the best one being that the Patriots want to intimidate future opponents by creating a sense of invunerability. I reject this argument because 35-7 to me represents the same dominance as 56-7.

5. The Patriots are jerks.

I personally dislike two guys on that team, Bellichick and Moss, for lots of reasons well described elsewhere. I like Brady, really like Seau, and am indifferent to the rest of the team. The head coach however, does give the whole team an image which creates a distaste in my mind, I have to admit.

6. The Patriots' fans are jerks.

Many of the homers that contribute to this site offer very intelligent analysis and spirited defense of their team, Twitch being the best example (although his recent attempts to turn me into a Niner fan are rather annoying!) There are other posters, like eom, who are downright obnoxious. Most Patriot fans are arrogant, but wouldn't you be if they were your team?

7. All of these complaints stem from jealousy of what New England is doing.

I have to admit, this is partly true. If the jets had been the team caught cheating early in the year, we wouldn't be talking about it now. If the Eagles, in their 5 or so victories, had run up the score, the only discussion would be about how inconsistent they've been. It is the combination of the Patriot victories, and the way they are winning, that generates all of this discussion.

As for me personally, as I have stated elsewhere, I AM jealous. I do wish my Steelers were that good a team, or at least good enough to have beaten NE in 01 or 04. So I root against NE and always will. But I don't think my envy colors my judgment about what is and what is not worthy of criticism.

8. Somebody ought to punish NE by taking a cheap shot at Brady.

Comments like these are more classless than anything the Patriots are doing. I do understand that there is a difference between predicting this may happen and actually wanting it to happen, but to me even discussion of it gives weight to those who dismiss all criticism about the Patriots as "whining". And that is my main objection to this thread, because to tie all of these complaints together DOES make the whole thing seem like a big whine, and dismisses what legitimate criticism should be levelled at New England.

All right - I hate the Patriots.It was not always that way - and it is not entirely the Patriots' fault. I can still remember when the dynasty started
It's not a dynasty now nor was it. Close, but no cigar. Something like 4 in a row like the Islanders did in the early 80s is.

kevinray said:
Dman30 said:
You are aware it’s still ok to try and figure out other teams signals right? I feel like most people so angry with the Pats have forgotten about what they were actually guilty off. You can't use a camera, that’s all, everything else and more so is still legal. You can hire a former player to sit behind the other teams bench and call in the plays. Just can’t have him there with a camera.I'd go with Disciplined. They just don't play down to anyone. I've never seen a team play at the same level every game.
There is a reason why the camera part is the illegal part. The league knows it would be nearly impossible to gain an edge watching a coach and pretty easy to gain a huge edge with a camera.

DawgPoundNJ said:
Sinn Fein said:
All right - I hate the Patriots.It was not always that way - and it is not entirely the Patriots' fault. I can still remember when the dynasty started
It's not a dynasty now nor was it. Close, but no cigar. Something like 4 in a row like the Islanders did in the early 80s is.

If you think they deserve an * next to their 10-0 start, you are a whiny tool - period.

1. Yes, it was a big deal or else they wouldn't have gotten the punishment they did.

2. They have been punished, and did not appeal it.

3. They have not been caught or accused of doing any cheating since then.

If you want to discuss if it's valid to put an * next to their previous seasons and Super Bowl wins b/c there is the air of doubt that they might have been cheating for awhile to before they got caught, I won't stop you. While I don't agree with it, it's a valid argument. However if you think this season deserves it b/c they were caught and punished in the FIRST QUARTER of the FIRST GAME, then IMO you are just hating the Patriots b/c they are the Patriots. IMO, if the league thought the first game was tainted they would've given that game to the Jets and the Pats would be 9-1 right now.

Long story short, unless they get caught again calling them cheaters is ignorant. Stop the whining, grab a beer, and enjoy watching what might be the most impressive offense to hit the field in the history of the NFL.

The only hope now is that there is a huge snowstorm on Championship Sunday and the Colts or Steelers go up there and run the ball down their throats and beat them. The perfect ending to this season is for them to lose in the playoffs after going undefeated in the regular season.

timschochet said:
The problem wih this thread is, by grouping all of the complaints about the Patriots in one thread, you're giving them all equal weight, which actually means very little wieght, and by doing so you're basically agreeing with the Patriot homers who argue that all of this is envy, anyhow.Let's break down the complaints against the Patriots:1. They are cheaters.Since the league penalized them, I don't think there is any doubt. To those who argue, "So what, others did it," I would answer: if others did it, they are wrong. I want my children to learn that cheating is unnacceptable. The Patriots are a poor example for kids, and this will not change no matter whaqt happens this season.2. Becasue they are cheaters, an asterisk should be added to this season.No. Had I been Commissioner, I would have punished them a little more, but it is what it is. Let the punishment stand, and separate it from this season.3. The Patriots run up the score.The fact that this is sitll even argues amazes me. Not to repeat it endlessly, it is NOT running up the score by continuing to play hard. You do NOT need to take a knee, and you can keep your starters in well into the 4th quarter, if you want. But going for it on 4th and 2 when you're up 35-7 or 42-7 is proof that you're running up the score. Throwing deep on 1st down when you're up by 28 or more points is also proof, though admittedly more arguable.4. Running up the score is classless.this is a separate argument from running up the score. I happen to think it IS classless, and that there is no justification for this. But there are decent arguments I have heard for the other side, the best one being that the Patriots want to intimidate future opponents by creating a sense of invunerability. I reject this argument because 35-7 to me represents the same dominance as 56-7. 5. The Patriots are jerks.I personally dislike two guys on that team, Bellichick and Moss, for lots of reasons well described elsewhere. I like Brady, really like Seau, and am indifferent to the rest of the team. The head coach however, does give the whole team an image which creates a distaste in my mind, I have to admit.6. The Patriots' fans are jerks.Many of the homers that contribute to this site offer very intelligent analysis and spirited defense of their team, Twitch being the best example (although his recent attempts to turn me into a Niner fan are rather annoying!) There are other posters, like eom, who are downright obnoxious. Most Patriot fans are arrogant, but wouldn't you be if they were your team?7. All of these complaints stem from jealousy of what New England is doing.I have to admit, this is partly true. If the jets had been the team caught cheating early in the year, we wouldn't be talking about it now. If the Eagles, in their 5 or so victories, had run up the score, the only discussion would be about how inconsistent they've been. It is the combination of the Patriot victories, and the way they are winning, that generates all of this discussion.As for me personally, as I have stated elsewhere, I AM jealous. I do wish my Steelers were that good a team, or at least good enough to have beaten NE in 01 or 04. So I root against NE and always will. But I don't think my envy colors my judgment about what is and what is not worthy of criticism.8. Somebody ought to punish NE by taking a cheap shot at Brady.Comments like these are more classless than anything the Patriots are doing. I do understand that there is a difference between predicting this may happen and actually wanting it to happen, but to me even discussion of it gives weight to those who dismiss all criticism about the Patriots as "whining". And that is my main objection to this thread, because to tie all of these complaints together DOES make the whole thing seem like a big whine, and dismisses what legitimate criticism should be levelled at New England.

twitch said:
Perfect Tommy said:
And I am sure that if Favre were on the Patriots he would not stand for it. I hope they don't win the Superbowl. I hope no Patriot gets the MVP. And I hope this season is a black mark on the legacy of every Patriot play and coach. As far as Brady being the best QB ever, I don't believe it. He is very good, but any QB would look good with that O-Line. And while his numbers are staggering,. That makes whatever records Brady sets this year an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.
The Patriots lack sportsmanship. I have never disliked a team more than I dislike the Patriots.The 2nd sentence explains your opinion in the 1st.

I have never seen a QB get the kind of protection Brady is getting.

Then, you never saw the early 90s Emmitt Smith Cowboys play, or the mid-80s Eric Dickerson Los Angeles Rams. Which is too bad because those teams played some good football. You would have loved watching all of those teams. But the difference? Those teams were dominant running the ball. They had 2 of the greatest RBs of all time. The #s of Smith and Dickerson speak for themselves. NE happens to have one of the greatest QBs of all time. And Brady's #s pretty much do the same.

he is padding his stats

Its been just too bad that people who have no real attachment to this team somehow feel 'embarassment' for them. Tom Brady played but a single play last night in the 4th quarter. A handoff for a 1yd TD run to the 5th string RB. It was officially 5 seconds of action. How that is "padding his stats" escapes me. Help me out with that.

Love your guy Favre by the way. He's in a league of his own. But all of these comments seem almost comical to me coming from a guy who uses "Perfect" in his handle. Nice one.
I promised myself I wouldnt get sucked in... so much for that.Its not about what quarter Brady left in. Its about having a lead so great that it was unattainable for the Bills to come back even in the 3RD quarter.

Its about Brady running a SPREAD OFFENSE with such a large lead. There was no mercy and now I get to hear people say their should be no mercy but the truth is.... everyone else in the NFL has been doing it for a LONG time now. Going for it on 4th down how many times? For you to even try and justify it is laughable.

Is there any way to set up this thread to automatically put up a reply to each new post consisting of:

:goodposting: :shrug: :pickle:

Maybe we can automate this whole process and save everyone a lot of hassle.

Kind of hard to say they are running up the score when these are PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. The Defense of Buffalo gets paid to stop other teams' offenses. The Offense of the Pats gets paid to score. I find this situation a whole lot different than Junior High, HS, or even College. This is not for "fun", this is for money. If you don't want Moss to get 4 TD's, then stop him. It is your job.

I am a litigator. When I am trying a case, if I am winning big (or sense that I am) what am I supposed to do? Tell my client that we are already winning so I am not really going to cross examine the next witness save for a question or two, or maybe I should mail in the closing figuring I am winning big already and I really should give the other side a chance to come back. NOT A CHANCE! YOU WOULD NOT LET OFF THE GAS IN ANY OF YOUR PROFESSIONAL LIVES SO WHY SHOULD THE PATS? To the FBG Salespeople, do you when you are on your way to a great month or quarter or year, take your foot off the gas figuring "Heck, I'm having a great year and my company is kicking but. I am not going to try to sell anything too hard for the next few weeks cause' I want to give the competition a chance"? Well, do you? HECK NO - you sell as much as you can. You are a pro. It is what you do.

I am not a PATS fan at all, I am a Giants fan. I will feel the same way about this at the end of season when in all likelihood the NYG need a win to get in to the post-season and/or improve their seed. If they want to win they will need to show up and play. PERIOD.

So please, stop the whinning already and just enjoy the show. If Brady gets hurt playing late in a game he has no business being in, then that'll suck for him and the Pats Nation, but you can't ask the Pats to not try to win and keep on trying every time they take the field.

New England has been VERY fortunate to not have any big injuries. A few OL here and there, Richard Seymour getting to the party late, Rodney Harrison's (not an injury but) suspension, etc. How will NE fans feel if Randy, Wes, or Brady gets a high ankle sprain when they are on the field up by 30 points in the second half? Sooner or later the karma will strike. The reason to rest your stars in the 2nd half is to prevent injury. It has nothing to do with the score. Granted, a little sportsmanship goes a long way.

kevinray said:
Dman30 said:
You are aware it’s still ok to try and figure out other teams signals right? I feel like most people so angry with the Pats have forgotten about what they were actually guilty off. You can't use a camera, that’s all, everything else and more so is still legal. You can hire a former player to sit behind the other teams bench and call in the plays. Just can’t have him there with a camera.I'd go with Disciplined. They just don't play down to anyone. I've never seen a team play at the same level every game.
There is a reason why the camera part is the illegal part. The league knows it would be nearly impossible to gain an edge watching a coach and pretty easy to gain a huge edge with a camera.
I agree that the rule should be in place and that they should've be punished for violating it. But violating a rule for using a camera is different then being punished for the act of figuring out other teams plays, which a lot of fans think they were punished for. I also think a team could do pretty well hiring a previously cut player as an assistant coach for one game, put him in the booth with binoculars and give his opinion on the signals. That would be perfectly legal when most fans would find that underhanded and cheating. It would also have a real impact on that game instead of for future games.The fact of the matter is that this was something done by more teams then the Pats in previous seasons. It was specifically outlawed this season and the Pats were rightly punished for cheating. But there are varying degrees of cheating and this isn't nearly as bad as the public made it out to be since the public focuses on them stealing plays which is legal, as opposed to how they stole them which was the infraction. There could well be teams with videos of team’s coordinators since they didn't have to turn them in, but the Patriots had to give up everything from previous years when it wasn't illegal.

There was no mercy
if there was "NO mercy", NE would have scored 80 last night.The announcers themselves made sure to tell the viewers what the record for points in a single game is.
His reason for putting Cassell in wasn't for anyone else but his own best interests. I'm sure he was torn between helping Brady get closer to the record and protecting Brady from getting murdered,.... such a tough call for him. Thanks for being generous Bill.

twitch said:
Perfect Tommy said:
And I am sure that if Favre were on the Patriots he would not stand for it. I hope they don't win the Superbowl. I hope no Patriot gets the MVP. And I hope this season is a black mark on the legacy of every Patriot play and coach. As far as Brady being the best QB ever, I don't believe it. He is very good, but any QB would look good with that O-Line. And while his numbers are staggering,. That makes whatever records Brady sets this year an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.
The Patriots lack sportsmanship. I have never disliked a team more than I dislike the Patriots.The 2nd sentence explains your opinion in the 1st.

I have never seen a QB get the kind of protection Brady is getting.

Then, you never saw the early 90s Emmitt Smith Cowboys play, or the mid-80s Eric Dickerson Los Angeles Rams. Which is too bad because those teams played some good football. You would have loved watching all of those teams. But the difference? Those teams were dominant running the ball. They had 2 of the greatest RBs of all time. The #s of Smith and Dickerson speak for themselves. NE happens to have one of the greatest QBs of all time. And Brady's #s pretty much do the same.

he is padding his stats

Its been just too bad that people who have no real attachment to this team somehow feel 'embarassment' for them. Tom Brady played but a single play last night in the 4th quarter. A handoff for a 1yd TD run to the 5th string RB. It was officially 5 seconds of action. How that is "padding his stats" escapes me. Help me out with that.

Love your guy Favre by the way. He's in a league of his own. But all of these comments seem almost comical to me coming from a guy who uses "Perfect" in his handle. Nice one.
I promised myself I wouldnt get sucked in... so much for that.Its not about what quarter Brady left in. Its about having a lead so great that it was unattainable for the Bills to come back even in the 3RD quarter.

Its about Brady running a SPREAD OFFENSE with such a large lead. There was no mercy and now I get to hear people say their should be no mercy but the truth is.... everyone else in the NFL has been doing it for a LONG time now. Going for it on 4th down how many times? For you to even try and justify it is laughable.
Here's how I justify it- they were running the same offense they were running the entire game. It's not like they were running the ball down their throats, were up by 30 and then Brady came in and started throwing bombs. THAT is the offense that they run the entire game, why stop and get out of rhythm? IMO we have to look no farther than a few years ago when the Colts might have let off the throttle a little bit towards the end of the year and it cost them chemistry in the playoffs and they ended up watching the Super Bowl from their living rooms. It's not the Pats fault they are that much better than the other teams they are playing against this year. Their 1st-3rd RBs were sitting on the sidelines for the 2nd half, so of course they are going to keep passing.

We all saw what happened to the Colts. So my question is: Don't you think there is a risk of Brady/the team cooling off if they are all only playing 1/2 a game of football every Sunday? (IMO Brady coming in just to had the ball off to the 4th string RB and FB for 3 downs is the same as him sitting on the bench)

kevinray said:
Dman30 said:
Actually, cameras are not the illegal part. You can film the coaches on the opposite sideline all day long, you just can't have the camera on the sideline.

Is there any way to set up this thread to automatically put up a reply to each new post consisting of: :lmao: :lmao: :cry: Maybe we can automate this whole process and save everyone a lot of hassle.
I'm just glad you had something to add to the discussion :confused: I'd rather post a rant about something of substance than play the role of the cry baby police, troll!

Users who are viewing this thread