What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official "If You Think The Patriots Deserve An Asterisk" Thr (2 Viewers)

Passing the ball on 4th down when you're up by 4 TDs or more IS running up the score. Period. You run it there. Doesn't excuse the other team for not stopping them, but it is showing a lack of sportsmanship.
what you're suggesting is that they do exactly what the other team expects, or a staging of a play? Isn't that the epitome of poor sportsmanship? Don't the fans pay to see teams play every down? This is a commercial spectacle, like it of not. This isn't you and your pals playing a backyard game. Or the 4x defending HS state champion playing the winless team from the neighboring town. This is the NFL. This is the professional level. Let's contrast it w/ the professional business world. You can release a product you know will put your competition, who has been falling further and further behind you in the field, out of business. Do you not release your product, because it's unsportsmanlike? Of course not. You're in the professional ranks. You're PAID to play hard every down. You do so, or you're being unprofessional.

This nonsense that nobody ever ran up the score until this year is just hilarious. Do you think the rest of us didn't see the NFFC win 13 SB's in a row, most of them by 30+ points. That doesn't happen on accident.

I just can't get over football fans whining about millionaires losing by too much and calling it unsportsmanlike. What you should be whining about is your team quitting.
I'm saying that in the past, teams ran for it in those situations. If you don't remember that, I don't know how to help you. I'm pretty sure the Bills didn't quit last night, but thanks for playing.
Really? I saw a Buffalo team that completely gave up after the INT on the first drive, on a route the receiver quit running...
I didn't see it that way. Sorry.

I'm saying that in the past, teams ran for it in those situations. If you don't remember that, I don't know how to help you. I'm pretty sure the Bills didn't quit last night, but thanks for playing.
This team doesnt run the ball. One of their backs is already on IR, the other is constantly hurt, and a third is now hurt as well. Im not sure i see the upside for the Pats running the ball. You might as well argue they should kneel on it. Whats the difference?
I thought Eckel looked good running the ball, relatively speaking.

This team doesnt run the ball. One of their backs is already on IR, the other is constantly hurt, and a third is now hurt as well. Im not sure i see the upside for the Pats running the ball. You might as well argue they should kneel on it. Whats the difference?
Another point- if you conceed to running the ball into a pile of bodies and assumedly punting quite a bit, you are putting your defense right back on the field against an offense that isnt necessarilly returning the favor by rolling over. Isnt there a risk of your defensive studs getting hurt?

How do you get an undefeated team that just beat the undefeated Colts to go into the bye, having watched the Colts dump another game so you have a two game lead for HFA, and get them to spend two weeks working extra hard to prepare for the Bills? Maybe you throw four TDs to Moss in the first half so he can show up Owens, and give him a chance to defend a pass in the end zone at the end of the half like Owens did. Maybe you give Maroney his shot at a TD. Maybe you set a goal of scoring on every single offensive possession, and even go for it on fourth and ones to achieve that goal. I don't have a problem with them running up the score if that's what they're doing.

At the same time, they're maximizing the value of the time when they put the backups in. Gaffney's emergence as a solid #4 receiver is partly from his work in preseason/practice, and partly from his time in the fourth quarter. Eckel is getting a lot of experience and is emerging as a potential candidate if Maroney were to miss an extended period of time. He looks servicable. Chad Jackson got some playing time, and may prove himself, too. So the fourth quarter of these blowouts is kind of like an extended preseason for them, since there's no room for these guys in their primary rotation.

Another point- if you conceed to running the ball into a pile of bodies and assumedly punting quite a bit, you are putting your defense right back on the field against an offense that isnt necessarilly returning the favor by rolling over. Isnt there a risk of your defensive studs getting hurt?
Sure, but at some point don't you pull those defensive studs? I think is especially true at LB where it's been mentioned that the Pats are really quite old. Maybe they don't have young LBers to groom, but if they did, what better experience for them to be on the field against a team still playing their starting offense? You won't see action like that in pre-season next year.

Sure, but at some point don't you pull those defensive studs? I think is especially true at LB where it's been mentioned that the Pats are really quite old. Maybe they don't have young LBers to groom, but if they did, what better experience for them to be on the field against a team still playing their starting offense? You won't see action like that in pre-season next year.
You do but you cant rest everybody- particularly D linemen who are rotated throughout the game. Are you going to leave in your rotation guys and wear them out? People overestimate the size of active NFL rosters, not every position has an exclusive backup. And then even if you do pull a bunch of guys how much experience are the remainder getting playing with guys they will hopefully never play with again? If you want to work those guys effectively you have to mix them in a few at a time.

The Patriots look DAMN good but I don’t know about this “they are the best I’ve ever seen” garbage. I have never seen a team better than those 90’s, pre free-agency days, Cowgirls (I’m only 29), and I hate the Cowgirls. The 90’s 49ers that had Prime Time were damn good too.

The Pats will probably run the table and be the clear favorites to win the Superbowl but IMO, they have played two real teams this season and they struggled to beat one (the Colts). But the other teams they have been smacking (Jets, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Redskins, etc….).

There are 53 uniformed players. Maybe you dont' watch the Pats, but of those 53, everybody but the backup QB's see the field with regularity. They have historically been a team of role players. Every one of the 53 has a role. They fill it. When asked to step into a starting role, they will. What I'm saying here is yes there are starters, but the backups are in the game all the time too. Especially on D, they're not going to look a lot different after substitutions. But, to your point. The Bills didn't quit? Why should the Pats then?

The Patriots look DAMN good but I don’t know about this “they are the best I’ve ever seen” garbage. I have never seen a team better than those 90’s, pre free-agency days, Cowgirls (I’m only 29), and I hate the Cowgirls. The 90’s 49ers that had Prime Time were damn good too.

The Pats will probably run the table and be the clear favorites to win the Superbowl but IMO, they have played two real teams this season and they struggled to beat one (the Colts). But the other teams they have been smacking (Jets, Bills, Bengals, Browns, Redskins, etc….).
If the Pats were playing in the 1970's, they would have lost many games. The 2nd time they ran the score up or went for it on 4th down up 30+ would have been the last. See picture (scroll to bottom) of Terry Bradshaw, insert Tom Brady. They would not have gone undefeated in the 70's.http://brownstng.com/blogs/ace/index.asp?B...e=&user_id=

8. "Turkey" Joe Jones (1970-71, 1973, 1975-8) -- Tall and talented, Jones was drafted out of Tennessee State higher than Jerry Sherk, who turned out to be an even better defensive lineman. As Sherk wrote: "He was about 6 foot 8 and he ran about a 4.5, 4.6 40 yard dash. At times he was a great pass rusher, at other times he didn’t live up to his great potential. Joe was a kind hearted person, though. You couldn’t help but really like him." His nickname stems from a Browns Thanksgiving tradition, a practical joke that survives to this day thanks to gullible new players. Jones is best known, though, for a particularly punishing piledriver of a sack of the Steelers’ Terry Bradshaw in 1976

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont buy that argument. Anybody that intentionally hurt a high profile QB would never play another game in the NFL. Is your pride worth you career and your livelihood?

I dont buy that argument. Anybody that intentionally hurt a high profile QB would never play another game in the NFL. Is your pride worth you career and your livelihood?
Seeing as how one of the Pats guys took Losman out with a late hit to the knees I was almost surprised nobody from Buffalo at least took a shot. Albert Haynesworth stomped on a guys head with his cleat and he's still playing in the NFL and will be paid a huge amount of money this summer. People dramatically overestimate how much trouble you'd get into for smashing one of these guys. If you're talented, you'll find a place somewhere. If you just were some 3rd stringer... well hopefully you made some deal in the meantime. Or hell, at least you've got a aside in the history books for finishing a team for the year.

I guess you have never seen an interview with some of these guys that played in the 70's. Bradshaw was about as high profile as there was and Jones flat out pile drove him into the ground on purpose. It was no accident.

You do but you cant rest everybody- particularly D linemen who are rotated throughout the game. Are you going to leave in your rotation guys and wear them out? People overestimate the size of active NFL rosters, not every position has an exclusive backup. And then even if you do pull a bunch of guys how much experience are the remainder getting playing with guys they will hopefully never play with again? If you want to work those guys effectively you have to mix them in a few at a time.
That's a fair point, but it seems to me like it would be smarter to work them in more often and earlier in these blowout games. But maybe that's not possible?

Fodasme69 said:
Joe Bryant said:
Brutis said:
We have all heard about the Pats running up the score and not being classy, blah, blah, blah. What I want to know is, what about the NE defense? Can one of the "classy experts" fill us in on the rules for the NE defense.Should the Defense continue to play hard being up 50-10 with a quarter left to play and continue trying to stop that opposing team thats getting killed or should they just all at once lay on their back once the ball is snapped so the other team can score? can we get some clarification on this? TIA
It's not really that complicated. Sort of along the same lines as the offense. When the game is clearly out of hand, you show some class and let the 2nd team guys get some experience playing time. Cassel played last night for a reason. J
Not sure what's worse for the opposing team. Having the team that's beating you keep beating you or seeing them "let up" and essentially tell you that your not worth the "effort". I can see both sides but being on the wrong side of it a few times in softball I can't stand seeing a rope to the wall and seeing the guy sitting on first before I can even get to the ball. JMHO!
Why would the Patriots care about the feelings of the other team in this regards? As the self appointed, unoffical leader of the Patriots BandWagon Fans I want the Pats to insult other teams more by using their kicker as a QB, their 5th string RB as a WR and their third string DB's as their line.GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!

If winning 3 Super Bowls and practicaly achieving perfection is a result of video-taping signals, I'm stupified as to why every team wouldn't take the risk.
I think some of you would be surprised to see how low you are in the development of moral reasoning ...

Where's the thread for us non-Pats fans to go "Dang! The 2007 Patriots are doing something unprecedented! I'm glad I'm witnessing it! :popcorn: !!!!.... Who cares if their fans suck?" :lmao: ???

Passing the ball on 4th down when you're up by 4 TDs or more IS running up the score. Period. You run it there. Doesn't excuse the other team for not stopping them, but it is showing a lack of sportsmanship.
what you're suggesting is that they do exactly what the other team expects, or a staging of a play? Isn't that the epitome of poor sportsmanship? Don't the fans pay to see teams play every down? This is a commercial spectacle, like it of not. This isn't you and your pals playing a backyard game. Or the 4x defending HS state champion playing the winless team from the neighboring town. This is the NFL. This is the professional level. Let's contrast it w/ the professional business world. You can release a product you know will put your competition, who has been falling further and further behind you in the field, out of business. Do you not release your product, because it's unsportsmanlike? Of course not. You're in the professional ranks. You're PAID to play hard every down. You do so, or you're being unprofessional. This nonsense that nobody ever ran up the score until this year is just hilarious. Do you think the rest of us didn't see the NFFC win 13 SB's in a row, most of them by 30+ points. That doesn't happen on accident. I just can't get over football fans whining about millionaires losing by too much and calling it unsportsmanlike. What you should be whining about is your team quitting.
Dude don't act like this is how its always been, no matter the stage, the NFL historically hasn't been exempt from having good sportsmanship.Silly us right? :popcorn:

what you're suggesting is that they do exactly what the other team expects, or a staging of a play? Isn't that the epitome of poor sportsmanship? Don't the fans pay to see teams play every down? This is a commercial spectacle, like it of not. This isn't you and your pals playing a backyard game. Or the 4x defending HS state champion playing the winless team from the neighboring town. This is the NFL. This is the professional level. Let's contrast it w/ the professional business world. You can release a product you know will put your competition, who has been falling further and further behind you in the field, out of business. Do you not release your product, because it's unsportsmanlike? Of course not. You're in the professional ranks. You're PAID to play hard every down. You do so, or you're being unprofessional. This nonsense that nobody ever ran up the score until this year is just hilarious. Do you think the rest of us didn't see the NFFC win 13 SB's in a row, most of them by 30+ points. That doesn't happen on accident. I just can't get over football fans whining about millionaires losing by too much and calling it unsportsmanlike. What you should be whining about is your team quitting.
In the past teams ran more, period. Again. If your top three backs are either out or banged up, one of them for the season, which is the smarter play for your team? Do you run one of them into a pile? Or do you avoid the pile. You know the answer. At the end of the day, the Pats are hammering people, but the alternative is to quit being the team they are. I say it's more unsportsmanlike to expect people to lay down and let you have the ball back. You disagree. I say quitting ont he game is unsportsmanlike. As to quitting. You don't lose 56-10, and it easilly could have been worse, if you don't quit.
Laying down is running the ball? Laying down is kicking a fieldgoal when the game is out of reach on 4 down multiple times?Keep scratching and clawing for a legitimate excuse.

what you're suggesting is that they do exactly what the other team expects, or a staging of a play? Isn't that the epitome of poor sportsmanship? Don't the fans pay to see teams play every down? This is a commercial spectacle, like it of not. This isn't you and your pals playing a backyard game. Or the 4x defending HS state champion playing the winless team from the neighboring town. This is the NFL. This is the professional level. Let's contrast it w/ the professional business world. You can release a product you know will put your competition, who has been falling further and further behind you in the field, out of business. Do you not release your product, because it's unsportsmanlike? Of course not. You're in the professional ranks. You're PAID to play hard every down. You do so, or you're being unprofessional.

This nonsense that nobody ever ran up the score until this year is just hilarious. Do you think the rest of us didn't see the NFFC win 13 SB's in a row, most of them by 30+ points. That doesn't happen on accident.

I just can't get over football fans whining about millionaires losing by too much and calling it unsportsmanlike. What you should be whining about is your team quitting.
In the past teams ran more, period. Again. If your top three backs are either out or banged up, one of them for the season, which is the smarter play for your team? Do you run one of them into a pile? Or do you avoid the pile. You know the answer. At the end of the day, the Pats are hammering people, but the alternative is to quit being the team they are. I say it's more unsportsmanlike to expect people to lay down and let you have the ball back. You disagree. I say quitting ont he game is unsportsmanlike.

As to quitting. You don't lose 56-10, and it easilly could have been worse, if you don't quit.
Laying down is running the ball? Laying down is kicking a fieldgoal when the game is out of reach on 4 down multiple times?Keep scratching and clawing for a legitimate excuse.
IMO, yes -- IF that hasn't been part of the game plan from the get-go. I think most of the point is to keep the offense clicking to keep them sharp. What would be the difference for Brady and Moss if they are on the bench, or Brady is just in there handing the ball off to Eckel and Evans? Same difference to me. As for the FGs- who knows. As a fan, I even scratched my head. It could be for mulitple reasons that we'll never know:

1. Brady wants the TD record, the QB rating record, etc...

2. They set a goal as a team to get a TD on every possession.

3. BB is being a ##### and basically giving the finger to the league and the media.

4. The PK was having stage fright.

Really there are reasons to not kick the FGs, but we'll probably not know what they are.

I guess the Broncos were UN-professional tonight when they ran the clock out with rushing calls with ONLY a 14 point lead in the 4th.The fans paid to see every down and they let us all down. Shanny's a real trend-setter with this running the clock out mess!! :goodposting:

My math could easily be wrong, but that looks like a 17.7 point differential for the Rams.

Again, I don't think there is any credible debate that the Patriots ARE running up the score - reasonable minds can differ on whether they SHOULD run up the score.
Are you counting the losses? Cant run up the score when you're losing, i only included margin of victories.
I guess THIS Pats team was as good as the 99 Rams (22 points per game average margin of victory) and should have been accused of running up the score.

My thoughts:Passing the ball on 4th down when you're up by 4 TDs or more IS running up the score. Period. You run it there. Doesn't excuse the other team for not stopping them, but it is showing a lack of sportsmanship. What I think has happened in the NFL is very interesting. I think that back in the early days of the NFL through maybe the early 90s, the players on the field were very competitive and angry with each other. They were fighting for wins and jobs and money and took it to each other on the field as much as possible.
I don't know, I think the players are very competitive now. You look at the AFC, there's more teams than not who have a shot at some type of wild card spot and there's plenty in the NFC too. There's definately parity in the NFL, but just not with New England.The problem I have with New England and more so Belichick is that this game was the greatest game IMO before he was ever a head coach. Guys like Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry, Bill Walsch and Bill Parcells know how to coach and I don't remember these guys doing those types of things.So here's the deal. Either all of these guys are wrong for doing what they did, by not scoring because it's not the offenses job to stop the scoring or Bill Bellichick is wrong. It's one or the other because he's definately doing something that those coaches didn't do, which is when up by 30 or 40 points, going for it on 4th down and passing the ball with the sole purpose to score more points.As great of a coach as he is, I think he's partially full of crap when he says it's not the offenses job to stop scoring because at some point in the game, he is putting on the brakes. Tom Brady didn't play the entire game last night, he was pulled very early 4th quarter. So tell me Bill Bellichick, is that still not the offenses job not to stop scoring with Tom Brady out?So, at some point even in his mind he lets up. My problem and what others problem with him is that his time to start easing it up on his opponents is way farther down the line than what most people would do.Quite frankly, I'm so sick and tired of this argument and I can't believe that teams besides the Colts can't hang with them so that we don't have to talk about this every week. I don't know why we're surprised each week that he does it, he doesn't apologize for it and if given the chance to do it to Philly next week he'll do it.So my advice to any team that plays New England and your coach is talking to you and they say this team isn't going out there to win, they're going out there to embarass you..........believe what your coaches are saying. They aren't going out to win, they're going out there to embarass what you stand for, who you are as a professional and destroy your will.If they don't believe that, they will look like Buffalo did.

Bill Belichick addressed "running up the score" today on WEEI. He stated that he does not believe in kicking gimme FG's when up by a large margin. He's consistent. He has shown that when in the red zone he will go for it on 4th down every time. He also showed last night from the 30 yard line on out, he will punt. In either case he is not kicking the FG.

There was a game quite a while back between the Bengals and Oilers when there was a lot of bad blood between the teams. Sam Wyche was the coach for Cincy. He had his team kick a 45 yard FG with 5 seconds left up by approx. 60-20. There is a school of thought where kicking the FG is a worse move. Belichick adheres to that school. People need to get over it, he's going for it on 4th down anytime he is too close to punt.

My thoughts:

What I think has happened in the NFL is very interesting. I think that back in the early days of the NFL through maybe the early 90s, the players on the field were very competitive and angry with each other. They were fighting for wins and jobs and money and took it to each other on the field as much as possible.
I don't know, I think the players are very competitive now. You look at the AFC, there's more teams than not who have a shot at some type of wild card spot and there's plenty in the NFC too. There's definately parity in the NFL, but just not with New England.The problem I have with New England and more so Belichick is that this game was the greatest game IMO before he was ever a head coach. Guys like Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry, Bill Walsch and Bill Parcells know how to coach and I don't remember these guys doing those types of things.

So here's the deal. Either all of these guys are wrong for doing what they did, by not scoring because it's not the offenses job to stop the scoring or Bill Bellichick is wrong. It's one or the other because he's definately doing something that those coaches didn't do, which is when up by 30 or 40 points, going for it on 4th down and passing the ball with the sole purpose to score more points.

As great of a coach as he is, I think he's partially full of crap when he says it's not the offenses job to stop scoring because at some point in the game, he is putting on the brakes. Tom Brady didn't play the entire game last night, he was pulled very early 4th quarter. So tell me Bill Bellichick, is that still not the offenses job not to stop scoring with Tom Brady out?

So, at some point even in his mind he lets up. My problem and what others problem with him is that his time to start easing it up on his opponents is way farther down the line than what most people would do.

Quite frankly, I'm so sick and tired of this argument and I can't believe that teams besides the Colts can't hang with them so that we don't have to talk about this every week. I don't know why we're surprised each week that he does it, he doesn't apologize for it and if given the chance to do it to Philly next week he'll do it.

So my advice to any team that plays New England and your coach is talking to you and they say this team isn't going out there to win, they're going out there to embarass you..........believe what your coaches are saying. They aren't going out to win, they're going out there to embarass what you stand for, who you are as a professional and destroy your will.

If they don't believe that, they will look like Buffalo did.
So you are saying since the end of the 3rd quarter isnt early enough that it should be halftime?

My math could easily be wrong, but that looks like a 17.7 point differential for the Rams.

Again, I don't think there is any credible debate that the Patriots ARE running up the score - reasonable minds can differ on whether they SHOULD run up the score.
Are you counting the losses? Cant run up the score when you're losing, i only included margin of victories.
I guess THIS Pats team was as good as the 99 Rams (22 points per game average margin of victory) and should have been accused of running up the score.
David I've been watching ball a long time bud and its never been this blatant. Those teams... including the SB Colts were up early and handled themselves with class and if they did score late it was either on a run or at the very worst when they were put in a 3rd down position where they had to throw in the name of keeping possession unless they were in FG range.

Dont you find it ironic press conferences are asking why Bill is scoring the way he is unlike the coaches of the past where the issue was barley ever even brought up?

Its not just FBG's complaining , were not all haters who have nothing else better to do.

Maybe some of us just call it like we see it.

How can anyone defend a guy who says "we went for it on 4th because we thought it would give them a better chance to stop us from scoring points"

Seriously...............

The best part of the NE/BUF game for me was when my wife walked in the room, saw the Patriot logo on the screen and said "Aren't those the cheaters?"

:thumbdown:

David I've been watching ball a long time bud and its never been this blatant. Those teams... including the SB Colts were up early and handled themselves with class and if they did score late it was either on a run or at the very worst when they were put in a 3rd down position where they had to throw in the name of keeping possession unless they were in FG range.

Dont you find it ironic press conferences are asking why Bill is scoring the way he is unlike the coaches of the past where the issue was barley ever even brought up?

Its not just FBG's complaining , were not all haters who have nothing else better to do.

I discussed this some in one of the other 100+ Pats threads. I don't disagree that the Pats are running up the score, but IMO it's not quite as bad as many people are making it out to be. My point then was to question at what point a team is supposed to flop on the ball and basically stop having the offense move the ball.Belichick has been consistent in playing his starters (for the most part) about halfway through the 4th quarter and then bringing in the B team. That's Belichick's policy, and the fact that suddenly this year they are up by 35 points in the third quarter gets people riled up, but that's what he's always done.

The other thing I pointed out was that for years critics suggested that the 3-time champion Pats were not that great because they barely won and if they were really good they would have blown away their opponents. Now that they are doing that, they still are getting beat up in the court of public opinion.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the running up the score argument, because IMO is there that much difference between beating a team 35-3 or 49-3? And last time I checked this was not Pop Warner football and the feelings of the opposition were not supposed to be taken into consideration. So let people play the sportsmanship card, but as far as I can see it's mostly people claiming sour grapes over a team that has just been too good up until now.

I discussed this some in one of the other 100+ Pats threads. I don't disagree that the Pats are running up the score, but IMO it's not quite as bad as many people are making it out to be. My point then was to question at what point a team is supposed to flop on the ball and basically stop having the offense move the ball.Belichick has been consistent in playing his starters (for the most part) about halfway through the 4th quarter and then bringing in the B team. That's Belichick's policy, and the fact that suddenly this year they are up by 35 points in the third quarter gets people riled up, but that's what he's always done.

The other thing I pointed out was that for years critics suggested that the 3-time champion Pats were not that great because they barely won and if they were really good they would have blown away their opponents. Now that they are doing that, they still are getting beat up in the court of public opinion.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the running up the score argument, because IMO is there that much difference between beating a team 35-3 or 49-3? And last time I checked this was not Pop Warner football and the feelings of the opposition were not supposed to be taken into consideration. So let people play the sportsmanship card, but as far as I can see it's mostly people claiming sour grapes over a team that has just been too good up until now.

Very :goodposting:

Very :goodposting:
Very very :goodposting: C'mon guys, keep it going. See if we can get the ratio of quoted text to actual input down in the 4% range...

Because this kind of domination has never been seen before , its the first time in history that a team is scoring at will like the Pats are ( And it s not because because teams of the past had class , it s just because they werent as dominant offensively as the Pats are ).

This offense is the best in history ( By a mile ) and even if they would play it easy they would still beat everyone by 21.

They showed class against the Super Bowl champions by taking it easy , they did nt want to humiliate the Champ

This is plain and simple the best team in history ( By far ) . That s the only way to explain this domination .

My thoughts:

What I think has happened in the NFL is very interesting. I think that back in the early days of the NFL through maybe the early 90s, the players on the field were very competitive and angry with each other. They were fighting for wins and jobs and money and took it to each other on the field as much as possible.
I don't know, I think the players are very competitive now. You look at the AFC, there's more teams than not who have a shot at some type of wild card spot and there's plenty in the NFC too. There's definately parity in the NFL, but just not with New England.The problem I have with New England and more so Belichick is that this game was the greatest game IMO before he was ever a head coach. Guys like Paul Brown, Vince Lombardi, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll, Tom Landry, Bill Walsch and Bill Parcells know how to coach and I don't remember these guys doing those types of things.

So here's the deal. Either all of these guys are wrong for doing what they did, by not scoring because it's not the offenses job to stop the scoring or Bill Bellichick is wrong. It's one or the other because he's definately doing something that those coaches didn't do, which is when up by 30 or 40 points, going for it on 4th down and passing the ball with the sole purpose to score more points.

As great of a coach as he is, I think he's partially full of crap when he says it's not the offenses job to stop scoring because at some point in the game, he is putting on the brakes. Tom Brady didn't play the entire game last night, he was pulled very early 4th quarter. So tell me Bill Bellichick, is that still not the offenses job not to stop scoring with Tom Brady out?

So, at some point even in his mind he lets up. My problem and what others problem with him is that his time to start easing it up on his opponents is way farther down the line than what most people would do.

Quite frankly, I'm so sick and tired of this argument and I can't believe that teams besides the Colts can't hang with them so that we don't have to talk about this every week. I don't know why we're surprised each week that he does it, he doesn't apologize for it and if given the chance to do it to Philly next week he'll do it.

So my advice to any team that plays New England and your coach is talking to you and they say this team isn't going out there to win, they're going out there to embarass you..........believe what your coaches are saying. They aren't going out to win, they're going out there to embarass what you stand for, who you are as a professional and destroy your will.

If they don't believe that, they will look like Buffalo did.
So you are saying since the end of the 3rd quarter isnt early enough that it should be halftime?
I'm saying that when Bellichick tells everyone it's not the offenses job to stop the offense he's feeding everyone a bunch of bull. If this were true, then he'd never pull Brady at any point.So, since he did and does.......at some point in the game even he decides it's enough. What I'm saying is that "his enough" is further down the line than what most other coaches would do.

You mention in this case halftime....if it's appropriate, yes. There has been plenty of teams up at halftime that basically shut it down in the 2nd half. Off the top of my head Dallas vs. the Rams and Cleveland vs. Ravens. I know if I looked into it I'd find probably a handful more and look into those games and look for how many 4th downs other teams went for it and passed when up by 30 points or so.

Nobody's changing their mind on what he should have done in the past, but let's talk about going forward.

Here's my question: Assume he's been playing this way all season, because he has, and assuming otherwise is silly. The Patriots are playing your team in the AFC Championship Game, or the Superbowl, it's late in the third quarter, and your team is down 42-0, what would you want them to do? Pull the starters? Kick field goals on fourth and one from the 30? Or treat your team exactly the same as every team they've faced all season?

I'm saying that when Bellichick tells everyone it's not the offenses job to stop the offense he's feeding everyone a bunch of bull. If this were true, then he'd never pull Brady at any point.

So, since he did and does.......at some point in the game even he decides it's enough. What I'm saying is that "his enough" is further down the line than what most other coaches would do.

You mention in this case halftime....if it's appropriate, yes. There has been plenty of teams up at halftime that basically shut it down in the 2nd half. Off the top of my head Dallas vs. the Rams and Cleveland vs. Ravens. I know if I looked into it I'd find probably a handful more and look into those games and look for how many 4th downs other teams went for it and passed when up by 30 points or so.

Most other coaches have not won three superbowls. Most other coaches have not maintained the success BB has. Most other coaches teams fluctuate drastically one year to the next.

When NE pulls their starters, they still try to score.

So, since he did and does.......at some point in the game even he decides it's enough. What I'm saying is that "his enough" is further down the line than what most other coaches would do.
Interestingly most other coaches dont have 3 SB rings as a head coach and an undefeated team that looks like it could be the best of all time. Thats my only point. YES the Pats are running up the score. But arent you guys arguing with success? If Bellihick feels it will help his team down the road to play 3 quarters as hard as they can, why should i care what Lovie Smith or Andy Reid would do? Let me lay it out like this- IF (and I stipulate this isnt a proven) but IF this style of play makes the Patriots better, does the sportsmanship argument trump that? I think 95% of football fans would say of course not. IF stomping the opposition has benefits that outweigh the risks, too damn bad for the stompee.So the question is does it help them enough to be worth it? And again- i'll take the best coach in the leagues opinion over the Shark Pool, sorry. The guy is indeed doing unprecidented things- but winning like this is certainly unprecidented.

Bill Belichick addressed "running up the score" today on WEEI. He stated that he does not believe in kicking gimme FG's when up by a large margin. He's consistent. He has shown that when in the red zone he will go for it on 4th down every time. He also showed last night from the 30 yard line on out, he will punt. In either case he is not kicking the FG.There was a game quite a while back between the Bengals and Oilers when there was a lot of bad blood between the teams. Sam Wyche was the coach for Cincy. He had his team kick a 45 yard FG with 5 seconds left up by approx. 60-20. There is a school of thought where kicking the FG is a worse move. Belichick adheres to that school. People need to get over it, he's going for it on 4th down anytime he is too close to punt.
From today's Globe:
Once again Belichick was forced to defend his rationale for going for it on fourth down while his team was routing an opponent. With the Patriots holding a 42-10 lead over Buffalo late in the third quarter, Tom Brady completed a 3-yard pass to Moss on fourth and 1 from the Buffalo 10. Two plays later, Kyle Eckel scored on a 1-yard run to extend the advantage to 49-10.The crowd at Ralph Wilson Stadium serenaded Belichick and the Patriots with a crass chant when they went for it on fourth down. "I mean, our offense was moving the ball pretty well, and in those situations, at that point in the game, I really don't like kicking field goals," Belichick said. "I feel like that's just adding points. I'd rather go for it on fourth down and give them an opportunity to stop us, and our offense was moving the ball well, so it gives them an opportunity to keep playing."As for the chants, did Belichick hear them?"No, not really," he said. "I'm just trying to coach our team."

And nobody took a shot at Matt Cavanaugh's knees?!?! Impossible! :thumbdown:

"I mean, our offense was moving the ball pretty well, and in those situations, at that point in the game, I really don't like kicking field goals," Belichick said. "I feel like that's just adding points. I'd rather go for it on fourth down and give them an opportunity to stop us, and our offense was moving the ball well, so it gives them an opportunity to keep playing."
The inability for people to grasp this astonishes me.

If you don't like what NE is doing whether it's running up the score or leg whipping or thinking their records deserve an asterisk or whatever - keep it to this thread.
An official thread about asterisks that has no asterisks? C'mon, Joe. The thread title should be *** OFFICIAL "Patriots Deserve an Asterisk" Thread ***. :thumbup:

The Patriots lack sportsmanship. I have never disliked a team more than I dislike the Patriots. And I am sure that if Favre were on the Patriots he would not stand for it. I hope they don't win the Superbowl. I hope no Patriot gets the MVP. And I hope this season is a black mark on the legacy of every Patriot play and coach. As far as Brady being the best QB ever, I don't believe it. He is very good, but any QB would look good with that O-Line. I have never seen a QB get the kind of protection Brady is getting. And while his numbers are staggering, he is padding his stats. That makes whatever records Brady sets this year an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.
YOu've got a lot of hate there, but I just wanted to show you what Favre did two weeks ago, when they beat the Vikes 34-0. Did Favre "not stand for it", or run it up the gut every time? Nope. Up 20-0 in late int he third quarter, he passes for an 8 yard TD to Martin. Does he stop there? Can he sit w/ a 27-0 lead? Not a chance, he came back with a 17 yard strike to marting with about 6 minutes left.

So, Favre will stand for it, as will any QB in the league. We can't compare it to any other blowouts, because the Packers don't have any. Every professional should want to compete. Scoring is the object of the game. If you aint going to try and score, get out of the game.

At that point, he was done and Rodgers came in to run the offense. When/ About 4:000 left, or later than Brady has been in there. Yes, the Pats are doing it every week. I think that's what bothers you more than anything.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?gam...&week=REG10

TD Ruvell Martin, 8 yd pass from Brett Favre (Mason Crosby kick is good), 2:24. Drive: 10 plays, 69 yards in 4:59

4th Quarter

TD Ruvell Martin, 17 yd pass from Brett Favre (Mason Crosby kick is good), 5:38. Drive: 9 plays, 96 yards in 5:54

To sum it up. Contrary to your assertion, Favre has and does stand for this, whenever he gets the chance.

Al;so, check the 1996 box scores, when the Pack was the SB Champs. You'll see Favre in late in a game against Denver, with a three TD lead, throwing two TD passes in the fourth.

GB 41-Den 6

Fourth Quarter

GB--K.Jackson 1 pass from B.Favre (C.Jacke kick), 0:44.

GB--A.Freeman 25 pass from B.Favre (C.Jacke kick), 7:39.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../1996-15-den-gb

One of them was even a one yarder. Clearly could have been run in. What is significant aobut this year is that ihere was talk of Marinos record, that's now Mannings, being broken. Favre finished w/ 49 IIRC. Just showing you, Favre stands for the blowout too.

Was there any let up? Nope, next week we see the same thing against Detroit, when the Pack wins 31-3.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../1996-16-gb-det

Up 24-3 with only 2:30 minutes left, Favre goes for a 27 yarder to Freeman.

Fourth Quarter

GB--A.Freeman 27 pass from B.Favre (C.Jacke kick), 12:28.

Now, is this a foolish waste of time? Absolutely. I'm just showing you that your iguy did the same thing Brady does. Play hard when in the game. That's what one is supposed to do.

"I mean, our offense was moving the ball pretty well, and in those situations, at that point in the game, I really don't like kicking field goals," Belichick said. "I feel like that's just adding points. I'd rather go for it on fourth down and give them an opportunity to stop us, and our offense was moving the ball well, so it gives them an opportunity to keep playing."
The inability for people to grasp this astonishes me.
Me as well. Anything short of hammering it into the pile is running it up? I fully agree. Tacking on 3 at that point does nothing to the outcome of the game. Going for it on 4th down gives the D an opportunityh to stop you without points, while not changing the outcome of the game, or putting it at risk. Football is timed. Even if the game is 'over', you have to finish the time. Change the argument. If going for it on fourth down were the smart play, and would give you points more than the 3, why would anybody ever kick a field goal? The three are lesser, but they're easier at that point. Making the yards and getting the first is the play that gives the D the best opportunity to keep you pointless. No matter the point in the game.

Run or pass what is the difference...you are going for it...the rest is splitting hairs.

The Patriots lack sportsmanship. I have never disliked a team more than I dislike the Patriots. And I am sure that if Favre were on the Patriots he would not stand for it. I hope they don't win the Superbowl. I hope no Patriot gets the MVP. And I hope this season is a black mark on the legacy of every Patriot play and coach. As far as Brady being the best QB ever, I don't believe it. He is very good, but any QB would look good with that O-Line. I have never seen a QB get the kind of protection Brady is getting. And while his numbers are staggering, he is padding his stats. That makes whatever records Brady sets this year an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.
YOu've got a lot of hate there, but I just wanted to show you what Favre did two weeks ago, when they beat the Vikes 34-0. Did Favre "not stand for it", or run it up the gut every time? Nope. Up 20-0 in late int he third quarter, he passes for an 8 yard TD to Martin. Does he stop there? Can he sit w/ a 27-0 lead? Not a chance, he came back with a 17 yard strike to marting with about 6 minutes left.

So, Favre will stand for it, as will any QB in the league. We can't compare it to any other blowouts, because the Packers don't have any. Every professional should want to compete. Scoring is the object of the game. If you aint going to try and score, get out of the game.

At that point, he was done and Rodgers came in to run the offense. When/ About 4:000 left, or later than Brady has been in there. Yes, the Pats are doing it every week. I think that's what bothers you more than anything.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/boxscore?gam...&week=REG10

TD Ruvell Martin, 8 yd pass from Brett Favre (Mason Crosby kick is good), 2:24. Drive: 10 plays, 69 yards in 4:59

4th Quarter

TD Ruvell Martin, 17 yd pass from Brett Favre (Mason Crosby kick is good), 5:38. Drive: 9 plays, 96 yards in 5:54

To sum it up. Contrary to your assertion, Favre has and does stand for this, whenever he gets the chance.

Al;so, check the 1996 box scores, when the Pack was the SB Champs. You'll see Favre in late in a game against Denver, with a three TD lead, throwing two TD passes in the fourth.

GB 41-Den 6

Fourth Quarter

GB--K.Jackson 1 pass from B.Favre (C.Jacke kick), 0:44.

GB--A.Freeman 25 pass from B.Favre (C.Jacke kick), 7:39.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../1996-15-den-gb

One of them was even a one yarder. Clearly could have been run in. What is significant aobut this year is that ihere was talk of Marinos record, that's now Mannings, being broken. Favre finished w/ 49 IIRC. Just showing you, Favre stands for the blowout too.

Was there any let up? Nope, next week we see the same thing against Detroit, when the Pack wins 31-3.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index..../1996-16-gb-det

Up 24-3 with only 2:30 minutes left, Favre goes for a 27 yarder to Freeman.

Fourth Quarter

GB--A.Freeman 27 pass from B.Favre (C.Jacke kick), 12:28.

Now, is this a foolish waste of time? Absolutely. I'm just showing you that your iguy did the same thing Brady does. Play hard when in the game. That's what one is supposed to do.
OMG THTA FARVE GUY IS SOOOO CLASSLESSS !!!11!!!!

the craziest thing about those situations when NE is deep in the other team's territory during 'run it up' time, is they almost approach 4th down as if it were 3rd down. They already understand theyll be going for it on 4th if they dont make it on 3rd. Its not a matter of will they or wont they. Its a matter of what play will it be. My point being, that if they approached the 4th down situation like alot of teams do, where theyd be kicking a FG or punting, theyd be more aggressive on 3rd down. In those late 'run it up' situations, theyll typically run on 2nd and 3rd down. Theyre putting in the work on the ground. But theyre just not going to run it all 3 or 4 downs. Its just not happening. Theyre keeping the chains moving and keeping their D off the field. And even funniner, and Madden pointed this out during the broadcast, is that as soon as the other team gets the ball back, its not as if theyre no longer trying to score. Buffalo still had its starters in passing the ball in a meaningless game, trying to score, risking injury to its own starters. As did Washington. As did Miami. And as has every other team NE has been running it up on. The opponent is taking the same risks with its own starters leaving them on the field during meaningless times in these games and still trying to score. The same times NE is getting hammered for risking injury to its own players. Washington was down 52-0 with its starting QB still in the game! Why? Because he's paid to play football.

So, just what are the other coaches saying aobut this alleged unsportsmanlike conduct?

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_f...12.450598a.html

“No, I have no problems with that. It’s our job to stop them,” Buffalo coach **** Jauron said. “It’s not their job to do what you or we might want them to do. They are just playing football.”

Washington coach Joe Gibbs said pretty much the same thing after the Patriots had embarrassed the Redskins.

“No, I have no problem with anything that they did,” Gibbs said. “Nothing; no problems for me.”

“This is football, it’s a rough game,” Buffalo quarterback JP Losman said. “It’s a tough game, and you know what, you’re going to have to deal with it. Sometimes you don’t just get hit and helped back up. Sometimes they’re going to kick you when you’re down. We made the mistakes that put ourselves in that situation, and this is a team where you can’t do that, so as far as going for it on fourth down, that’s part of the game.”

Even Buffalo general manager Marv Levy said there is nothing wrong with what the Patriots are doing.

“[The Patriots] played magnificently,” Levy said. “They are as good of a team as I have seen in quite some time. I have no gripe for players who are out there and want to excel and want to do things, and want to look good, and play with pride. It’s up to us to stop them and not say, ‘Don’t throw the ball, don’t do this.’ No gripes at all on that.”

Is anybody claiming it's unsportsmanlike, or that they're breaking some unwritten rule? I guess it's a different mindset. I believe what happens to me happens because of my actions. If I don't like some result, I say how can I effect change. Others seem to have a need to blame outcomes on others. Maybe thats where the two sides of the argument derive from.

Until the defense walks off the field and you just wantonly score, you are not running up the score, merely playing the game as it was meant to be played.

Users who are viewing this thread