What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official "If You Think The Patriots Deserve An Asterisk" Thr (2 Viewers)

I hate to dredge this thread back up but Jimmy Johnson said some fascinating things about Spygate this week at the Super Bowl. From Boston.com:

Fox studio analyst Jimmy Johnson reiterated his stance that the NFL's punishment of the Patriots' illegal videotaping procedures this year was overblown. He spoke passionately on the subject. "The only thing I can say is so many people made such a big to-do about it, and everybody - and I mean everybody - went to the edge on rules in one form or fashion," Johnson said, reflecting on his coaching tenure with the Cowboys. "That's just part of the game, that's stealing the signals in baseball. This stuff has been going on for so long."When I came into the NFL, back in '89, I talked to a Kansas City scout and he said, 'Here's what we do, we videotape the opposing team's signals and then we synch it up with the game film.' So I did it."Johnson admitted it was "borderline" but he ended up stopping because he didn't think the team got much out of it. He then spoke of other rules clubs pushed to the limit."When I went to the Dolphins and they talked about how you're supposed to have a 15-second cutoff [in communication] to your quarterback, but here is what we do [to circumvent that]," Johnson said. "They said they've always done this. So I said, 'OK, let's go ahead and do it.' Then the league said, 'Hey, we hear you're doing that, so don't do it anymore.'"The point I'm making - I'm not trying to say everybody is cheaters - is that you have a rulebook that is so thick and you say 'How far can you go without breaking the rules?' When I coached the Cowboys, we didn't have this kind of scrutiny. But now, the scrutiny, every little thing we do - that's why I said the media blew it so far out of proportion."Would the commissioner have fined them and taken a draft pick if it had been the Arizona Cardinals? There is a lot of jealousy in this league. The high profile, it's almost making statement that 'I've got to do it because of who it is.' I know Bill Belichick very well, I know how he loves the NFL, he loves the history of the NFL, he loves the integrity of the NFL, that's why it irritates me that anyone would ever question that."
Whoa. Never heard that the Dolphins were able to circumvent the QB helmet communications shutoff.

I hate to dredge this thread back up but Jimmy Johnson said some fascinating things about Spygate this week at the Super Bowl. From Boston.com:

Fox studio analyst Jimmy Johnson reiterated his stance that the NFL's punishment of the Patriots' illegal videotaping procedures this year was overblown. He spoke passionately on the subject.

"The only thing I can say is so many people made such a big to-do about it, and everybody - and I mean everybody - went to the edge on rules in one form or fashion," Johnson said, reflecting on his coaching tenure with the Cowboys. "That's just part of the game, that's stealing the signals in baseball. This stuff has been going on for so long.

"When I came into the NFL, back in '89, I talked to a Kansas City scout and he said, 'Here's what we do, we videotape the opposing team's signals and then we synch it up with the game film.' So I did it."

Johnson admitted it was "borderline" but he ended up stopping because he didn't think the team got much out of it. He then spoke of other rules clubs pushed to the limit.

"When I went to the Dolphins and they talked about how you're supposed to have a 15-second cutoff [in communication] to your quarterback, but here is what we do [to circumvent that]," Johnson said. "They said they've always done this. So I said, 'OK, let's go ahead and do it.' Then the league said, 'Hey, we hear you're doing that, so don't do it anymore.'

"The point I'm making - I'm not trying to say everybody is cheaters - is that you have a rulebook that is so thick and you say 'How far can you go without breaking the rules?' When I coached the Cowboys, we didn't have this kind of scrutiny. But now, the scrutiny, every little thing we do - that's why I said the media blew it so far out of proportion.

"Would the commissioner have fined them and taken a draft pick if it had been the Arizona Cardinals? There is a lot of jealousy in this league. The high profile, it's almost making statement that 'I've got to do it because of who it is.' I know Bill Belichick very well, I know how he loves the NFL, he loves the history of the NFL, he loves the integrity of the NFL, that's why it irritates me that anyone would ever question that."
Whoa. Never heard that the Dolphins were able to circumvent the QB helmet communications shutoff.
Countdown to "Jimmy Johnson isn't high character enough so his opinions don't matter...."

Fox studio analyst Jimmy Johnson reiterated his stance that the NFL's punishment of the Patriots' illegal videotaping procedures this year was overblown. He spoke passionately on the subject.

"The only thing I can say is so many people made such a big to-do about it, and everybody - and I mean everybody - went to the edge on rules in one form or fashion," Johnson said, reflecting on his coaching tenure with the Cowboys. "That's just part of the game, that's stealing the signals in baseball. This stuff has been going on for so long.

"When I came into the NFL, back in '89, I talked to a Kansas City scout and he said, 'Here's what we do, we videotape the opposing team's signals and then we synch it up with the game film.' So I did it."

Johnson admitted it was "borderline" but he ended up stopping because he didn't think the team got much out of it. He then spoke of other rules clubs pushed to the limit.

"When I went to the Dolphins and they talked about how you're supposed to have a 15-second cutoff [in communication] to your quarterback, but here is what we do [to circumvent that]," Johnson said. "They said they've always done this. So I said, 'OK, let's go ahead and do it.' Then the league said, 'Hey, we hear you're doing that, so don't do it anymore.'

"The point I'm making - I'm not trying to say everybody is cheaters - is that you have a rulebook that is so thick and you say 'How far can you go without breaking the rules?' When I coached the Cowboys, we didn't have this kind of scrutiny. But now, the scrutiny, every little thing we do - that's why I said the media blew it so far out of proportion.

"Would the commissioner have fined them and taken a draft pick if it had been the Arizona Cardinals? There is a lot of jealousy in this league. The high profile, it's almost making statement that 'I've got to do it because of who it is.' I know Bill Belichick very well, I know how he loves the NFL, he loves the history of the NFL, he loves the integrity of the NFL, that's why it irritates me that anyone would ever question that."
Countdown to "Jimmy Johnson isn't high character enough so his opinions don't matter...."
Dont see it happening. Howie Long had very similar things to say today on 'The Herd', and mentioned that JJ's quotes would rattle some skulls a bit. But coming from the mouths of a pretty well respected player like Long, and a Superbowl winning coach like Johnson, call me naive, but I just dont see how anyone can come down on the other side of this one. Fox' ratings for this Superbowl are going to be thru the roof already. People are paying nearly 20K for a single suite ticket. We have an matinee idol, dating a Brazilian Supermodel-led undefeated juggernaut vs a New York team, so internationally, it should draw as well as any game in history. We also have the classic David v Goliath angle as well. Point being, there's no need for Long or Johnson to unnecessarily throw comments around simply to support the game.

I think if anything, theyre offering some last minute, pre-game validation to a potential New England victory to stay ahead of an onslaught of criticism that will inevitably be brought back up. I applaud them for their statements.

So you guys still losing sleep over this? :lmao:

Re: the comment on "high profile" ...this was week 1 correct?? and the Pats were no higher profile than the returning champs the Colts...

Wonder if Jimmy got a memo specifcally warning him about specific cheating tactics whether he would have continued like BB?

But we've hit the limit.If you don't like what NE is doing whether it's running up the score or leg whipping or thinking their records deserve an asterisk or whatever - keep it to this thread.I don't want a ton of threads on the board doing the same thing so we're going to have this one.
Still as true today as it was three months ago.

But we've hit the limit.If you don't like what NE is doing whether it's running up the score or leg whipping or thinking their records deserve an asterisk or whatever - keep it to this thread.I don't want a ton of threads on the board doing the same thing so we're going to have this one.
Only difference being:1. New England got stomped by the Giants defense in the Superbowl, and sent them home with a beautiful loss.2. Bill Bellicheat pouted off the field early.3. Matt Walsh has come forward and is ready and willing to break the Patriots.4. Spygate is picking up steam with Congress getting involved. 5. This won't go away.....ever.

:kicksrock: Well, I'm glad that they at least decided to do the same for every other topic that spawned multiple threads.I guess we can't ackowledge that this is a highly incendiary topic with many angles, many stories, and many opinions, or that it's the biggest scandal to hit the NFL in a long, long time. Instead let's just adopt the standpoint that "I'm sick of seeing so many New England threads, so let's lump them all into one. Then hopefully no one will want to go to the trouble of slogging through a 200 page thread just to get to one particular story, and hopefully this will all go away."Seriously, this is lame. This is important, no matter how many Pats fans want it not to be. People want to discuss this. It isn't enough that the NFL front office wanted to bury and muzzle this. Now we have to do it here too?

Last edited by a moderator:
;) Well, I'm glad that they at least decided to do the same for every other topic that spawned multiple threads.I guess we can't ackowledge that this is a highly incendiary topic with many angles, many stories, and many opinions, or that it's the biggest scandal to hit the NFL in a long, long time. Instead let's just adopt the standpoint that "I'm sick of seeing so many New England threads, so let's lump them all into one. Then hopefully no one will want to go to the trouble of slogging through a 200 page thread just to get to one particular story, and hopefully this will all go away."Seriously, this is lame. This is important, no matter how many Pats fans want it not to be. People want to discuss this. It isn't enough that the NFL front office wanted to bury and muzzle this. Now we have to do it here too?
I think ideally, FBG should allow new threads for discussion of major developments on it. A new thread makes us aware something has happened without having to wade through the mud-slinging in the main thread.But after the new thread has been up for a few days, and/or when it has devolved back into fishing trips and pointlessness, merge it back into the main.

:yes: Well, I'm glad that they at least decided to do the same for every other topic that spawned multiple threads.I guess we can't ackowledge that this is a highly incendiary topic with many angles, many stories, and many opinions, or that it's the biggest scandal to hit the NFL in a long, long time. Instead let's just adopt the standpoint that "I'm sick of seeing so many New England threads, so let's lump them all into one. Then hopefully no one will want to go to the trouble of slogging through a 200 page thread just to get to one particular story, and hopefully this will all go away."Seriously, this is lame. This is important, no matter how many Pats fans want it not to be. People want to discuss this. It isn't enough that the NFL front office wanted to bury and muzzle this. Now we have to do it here too?
I think ideally, FBG should allow new threads for discussion of major developments on it. A new thread makes us aware something has happened without having to wade through the mud-slinging in the main thread.But after the new thread has been up for a few days, and/or when it has devolved back into fishing trips and pointlessness, merge it back into the main.
Actually, despite the fact that I'm a "lunatic" now, I think this is a good idea.

:kicksrock: Well, I'm glad that they at least decided to do the same for every other topic that spawned multiple threads.I guess we can't ackowledge that this is a highly incendiary topic with many angles, many stories, and many opinions, or that it's the biggest scandal to hit the NFL in a long, long time. Instead let's just adopt the standpoint that "I'm sick of seeing so many New England threads, so let's lump them all into one. Then hopefully no one will want to go to the trouble of slogging through a 200 page thread just to get to one particular story, and hopefully this will all go away."Seriously, this is lame. This is important, no matter how many Pats fans want it not to be. People want to discuss this. It isn't enough that the NFL front office wanted to bury and muzzle this. Now we have to do it here too?
Actually, despite the fact that I'm a "lunatic" now, I think this is a good idea.
I'll second the motion from the other side of the aisle. Bi-partisan approval. Rare in these parts. ;)

:thumbup: Well, I'm glad that they at least decided to do the same for every other topic that spawned multiple threads.I guess we can't ackowledge that this is a highly incendiary topic with many angles, many stories, and many opinions, or that it's the biggest scandal to hit the NFL in a long, long time. Instead let's just adopt the standpoint that "I'm sick of seeing so many New England threads, so let's lump them all into one. Then hopefully no one will want to go to the trouble of slogging through a 200 page thread just to get to one particular story, and hopefully this will all go away."Seriously, this is lame. This is important, no matter how many Pats fans want it not to be. People want to discuss this. It isn't enough that the NFL front office wanted to bury and muzzle this. Now we have to do it here too?
I'll second the motion from the other side of the aisle. Bi-partisan approval. Rare in these parts. :thumbup:
If I can propose an idea that gets this crowd on the same page, maybe I should run in 2012. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread