What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official "If You Think The Patriots Deserve An Asterisk" Thr (1 Viewer)

New England has been VERY fortunate to not have any big injuries. A few OL here and there, Richard Seymour getting to the party late, Rodney Harrison's (not an injury but) suspension, etc. How will NE fans feel if Randy, Wes, or Brady gets a high ankle sprain when they are on the field up by 30 points in the second half? Sooner or later the karma will strike. The reason to rest your stars in the 2nd half is to prevent injury. It has nothing to do with the score. Granted, a little sportsmanship goes a long way.
1. Brady and Moss were out of the game for basically all of the 4th Q - when do you want them pulled??2. You can't play the game thinking about injuries- listen to coaches talk, they all say this.

3. As per my other post, IMO there is a risk of the team cooling off, getting lazy, getting out of rhythm b/c they are all sitting down for 1/2 the game - ie the Colts a few years ago.

4th down and short inside the opponent's red zone -- you're up 3 or 4TDs -- is kicking a FG more mercy than throwing a pass? I mean, couldn't the secondary batted the ball away from Ben Watson and take over on downs?

twitch said:
That Niners '08 draft pick is now the 2nd overall. And NE currently owns it. Im putting an asterisk on that, too. they even run it up on teams when they trade. :pics:
McFadden at #2?

4th down and short inside the opponent's red zone -- you're up 3 or 4TDs -- is kicking a FG more mercy than throwing a pass? I mean, couldn't the secondary batted the ball away from Ben Watson and take over on downs?
I would say the obvious option would have been to run the ball rather than pass. Not that I care, but if you're trying to make a mercy argument, a pass isn't likely going to win any votes.

We all saw what happened to the Colts. So my question is: Don't you think there is a risk of Brady/the team cooling off if they are all only playing 1/2 a game of football every Sunday?
Exactly. The Patriots offense would have 50% of the snaps that everyone else in the league has had at this point if they played the game the way the haters want. They run their spread offense because that IS their offense. Again- you start playing half of your games with your backups and running plays you dont run with your linemen and muscle memory becomes a real factor. Whats more dangerous for Brady, taking 'extra' snaps every game or going into the Steelers game with an o-line and RBs that have only seen half the blitzes they should have? I dont hear anybody wondering aloud how long it will be before Maroney gets confused by a blitz pickup and Brady gets his head taken off, but that is just as real a danger if your offense only plays half their games.

I would say the obvious option would have been to run the ball rather than pass. Not that I care, but if you're trying to make a mercy argument, a pass isn't likely going to win any votes.
Allright.

kevinray said:
Dman30 said:
You are aware it’s still ok to try and figure out other teams signals right? I feel like most people so angry with the Pats have forgotten about what they were actually guilty off. You can't use a camera, that’s all, everything else and more so is still legal. You can hire a former player to sit behind the other teams bench and call in the plays. Just can’t have him there with a camera.I'd go with Disciplined. They just don't play down to anyone. I've never seen a team play at the same level every game.
There is a reason why the camera part is the illegal part. The league knows it would be nearly impossible to gain an edge watching a coach and pretty easy to gain a huge edge with a camera.
Actually, cameras are not the illegal part. You can film the coaches on the opposite sideline all day long, you just can't have the camera on the sideline.
I wasn't sure if there was a sideline aspect to the rule, but if thats the case the having a camera in the booth trained on the other teams cordinators would be just was effective. I'm also sure that you can't just have a team camera trained on the other teams sideline anymore.

If you think they deserve an * next to their 10-0 start, you are a whiny tool - period.
:sigh: You just don't get it do you? And Pats fans wonder why no one can stand them.
Well, I had more to that post justifying my reasons for that statement, would you care to discuss any of them?People hate the Pats, I get it. If you think this entire season is tainted b/c of something that happened in the first couple min. of the first game - then I guess you're right, there's something I'm just not "getting". :shock: Please explain it to me....

Is there any way to set up this thread to automatically put up a reply to each new post consisting of: :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe we can automate this whole process and save everyone a lot of hassle.
I'm just glad you had something to add to the discussion :shock: I'd rather post a rant about something of substance than play the role of the cry baby police, troll!
Ah, but aren't the troll police in the same union? :rolleyes:

Perfect Tommy said:
The Patriots lack sportsmanship. I have never disliked a team more than I dislike the Patriots. And I am sure that if Favre were on the Patriots he would not stand for it. I hope they don't win the Superbowl. I hope no Patriot gets the MVP. And I hope this season is a black mark on the legacy of every Patriot play and coach. As far as Brady being the best QB ever, I don't believe it. He is very good, but any QB would look good with that O-Line. I have never seen a QB get the kind of protection Brady is getting. And while his numbers are staggering, he is padding his stats. That makes whatever records Brady sets this year an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.
Just funnin'; but what is the cutoff between padding stats and what you would consider legit? Only those withing 60 minutes? 45? When does it become padding. Has the other team left the field, or are they still trying to stop Brady? Are they only states accumulated when one is up by less than 15? I just find the argument hilarious that some stats are padded. Could he sit? Sure. But, rest assured, he's not playing any more football per week than anybody else.

New England has been VERY fortunate to not have any big injuries. A few OL here and there, Richard Seymour getting to the party late, Rodney Harrison's (not an injury but) suspension, etc. How will NE fans feel if Randy, Wes, or Brady gets a high ankle sprain when they are on the field up by 30 points in the second half? Sooner or later the karma will strike. The reason to rest your stars in the 2nd half is to prevent injury. It has nothing to do with the score. Granted, a little sportsmanship goes a long way.
1. Brady and Moss were out of the game for basically all of the 4th Q - when do you want them pulled??2. You can't play the game thinking about injuries- listen to coaches talk, they all say this.

3. As per my other post, IMO there is a risk of the team cooling off, getting lazy, getting out of rhythm b/c they are all sitting down for 1/2 the game - ie the Colts a few years ago.
For that matter, EVERY team that avoids injury is fortunate. INjuries suck, but they happen. I notice the poster doesn't mention the backfield, which has been riddled w/ injury all season. Maroney missed 4-5 games, and is still not 100%. Morris is out for the year. Faulk has missed 2. You don't pick when and where the injuries occur. You just hope your backups are up to the task. Depth on a football team is so often overlooked. It's what won NE 2 of their 3, and the lack of cost them last year in INdy.

We all saw what happened to the Colts. So my question is: Don't you think there is a risk of Brady/the team cooling off if they are all only playing 1/2 a game of football every Sunday?
Exactly. Again- you start playing half of your games with your backups and running plays you dont run with your linemen and muscle memory becomes a real factor. .
Just stop with the nonsense - "muscle memory"????Muscle memory happens when you have hundreds or thousands of repetitions - think golf, or batting practice. Not running 20-30 different plays in a half.

When you make arguments like this, you lose credibility on all other points.

kevinray said:
Dman30 said:
You are aware it’s still ok to try and figure out other teams signals right? I feel like most people so angry with the Pats have forgotten about what they were actually guilty off. You can't use a camera, that’s all, everything else and more so is still legal. You can hire a former player to sit behind the other teams bench and call in the plays. Just can’t have him there with a camera.I'd go with Disciplined. They just don't play down to anyone. I've never seen a team play at the same level every game.
There is a reason why the camera part is the illegal part. The league knows it would be nearly impossible to gain an edge watching a coach and pretty easy to gain a huge edge with a camera.
Actually, cameras are not the illegal part. You can film the coaches on the opposite sideline all day long, you just can't have the camera on the sideline.
I wasn't sure if there was a sideline aspect to the rule, but if thats the case the having a camera in the booth trained on the other teams cordinators would be just was effective. I'm also sure that you can't just have a team camera trained on the other teams sideline anymore.
They can film coordinator signals from a blimp. They can film them from the press box. They can film them from the light towers. They could have had a guy in the stands, in the front row behind the Pats bench 20 feet behind where the guy was actually filming on the sidelines, getting the same excact footage. The only rule they broke was having him on the sideline. I'll give the "cheater" and "asterisk" blowhards the benefit of the doubt and asume they don't understand this. If they do understand this and continue with the nonsense that what the Pats are doing is in any way tainted by the positioning of a camera, then they're idiots.

Exactly. Again- you start playing half of your games with your backups and running plays you dont run with your linemen and muscle memory becomes a real factor. .
Just stop with the nonsense - "muscle memory"????Muscle memory happens when you have hundreds or thousands of repetitions - think golf, or batting practice. Not running 20-30 different plays in a half.

Skip muscle memory. What about blitz pickup, reading coverages, playing defense against top talent and not scout teams? You dont' get better watching games. YOu get better playing. We're barely over halfway done. There's a lot of improvement to be made. Brady missed like 8 passes yesterday. Hobbs got beat for the TD by Parrish. When they're holding the other team to 0 yards, and scoring on one play drives, I'll consider them able to rest. Until then, I expect them to go hard every play and work to get better. If they happen to score, the defense should have played better.

kevinray said:
Dman30 said:
They can film coordinator signals from a blimp. They can film them from the press box. They can film them from the light towers. They could have had a guy in the stands, in the front row behind the Pats bench 20 feet behind where the guy was actually filming on the sidelines, getting the same excact footage. The only rule they broke was having him on the sideline. I'll give the "cheater" and "asterisk" blowhards the benefit of the doubt and asume they don't understand this. If they do understand this and continue with the nonsense that what the Pats are doing is in any way tainted by the positioning of a camera, then they're idiots.
Come on, be honest. They're the only team in the league that even bothers to read defenses, because they're cheaters. Nobody else tries to deciper what is going to happen. They just line up and play. To do otherwise is cheating.

Perfect Tommy said:
The Patriots lack sportsmanship. I have never disliked a team more than I dislike the Patriots. And I am sure that if Favre were on the Patriots he would not stand for it. I hope they don't win the Superbowl. I hope no Patriot gets the MVP. And I hope this season is a black mark on the legacy of every Patriot play and coach. As far as Brady being the best QB ever, I don't believe it. He is very good, but any QB would look good with that O-Line. I have never seen a QB get the kind of protection Brady is getting. And while his numbers are staggering, he is padding his stats. That makes whatever records Brady sets this year an embarrassment rather than an accomplishment.
Just funnin'; but what is the cutoff between padding stats and what you would consider legit? Only those withing 60 minutes? 45? When does it become padding. Has the other team left the field, or are they still trying to stop Brady? Are they only states accumulated when one is up by less than 15? I just find the argument hilarious that some stats are padded. Could he sit? Sure. But, rest assured, he's not playing any more football per week than anybody else.
It is an interesting question, and I suppose everyone has their own answer, but for me the distinction is when you do more than is necessary to win the game, you are padding stats, running up the score, etc. That will vary by game, and by one's perspective. There is no practical reason for Brady to have 373 yards passing on 39 attempts last night - so it comes across as classless.At the end of the day, nobody will look back on Brady's/Patriots' season in 5 years and say they were not very good because most of the stats were "padded." On one level my opinion of the Patriots has gotten lower, but at the same time, I appreciate the pure dominance this team has displayed thus far this year.As I said earlier - the Patriots run up the score for one simple reason - they can. But, just because you can, does not mean you should. Having said that, I am pretty sure Brady, Belichick, and the Patriots really don't give a rat's ### what we think.

kevinray said:
Dman30 said:
My bad you're right."Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game." and that video taping for coaching purposes must be from an area "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.""

Now I'm not sure what the accessible from club/staff members means. It obviously is to keep teams from reviewing film suring the game but if team film is screened in any way by the league before hand then they may still not be allowed to just film the other teams side lined. Since I've never heard that team films screened I'd have to assume that they are still allowed to film other teams signals and probably are still doing it.

Ha

Perfect Tommy said:
It is an interesting question, and I suppose everyone has their own answer, but for me the distinction is when you do more than is necessary to win the game, you are padding stats, running up the score, etc. That will vary by game, and by one's perspective. There is no practical reason for Brady to have 373 yards passing on 39 attempts last night - so it comes across as classless.At the end of the day, nobody will look back on Brady's/Patriots' season in 5 years and say they were not very good because most of the stats were "padded." On one level my opinion of the Patriots has gotten lower, but at the same time, I appreciate the pure dominance this team has displayed thus far this year.As I said earlier - the Patriots run up the score for one simple reason - they can. But, just because you can, does not mean you should. Having said that, I am pretty sure Brady, Belichick, and the Patriots really don't give a rat's ### what we think.
So, doing more than is necessary to win the game. So, any states accumulated when leading by more than 8 should not count? I just disagree. I think you play hard on both sides of the ball until the end of the game. Flip it around. Should the defense stop playing hard when up by a certain amount? Thus, should we not count those stats, because after all, they are accumulated long after the game is decided. As for passing. They don't have much of an option. Their one back down, one banged up, and Faulk hurting. Should they pound the 4 and 5 backs until they're hurt too? People feign injury concern, but they pass to protect the spot that has the most injury problems this year. At the end of the year, ther will be a big *. For one of the greatest displays of football we've ever witnessed. Other teams have as much talent. It's focusing and executing that sets them above the rest of the league.

Right on Joe Bryant with making this into an official FBG thread :)

Yes, they most definitely deserve an asterisk, every championship team.

The bad karma of going for it on 4th downs with huge leads is going to come back and bite them in the ###, probably in the form of a cheap hit on Brady. I hope he doesn't get too hurt.

Dude, it may not be literally muscle memory but without question you get into habits running certain plays. Why do you think teams practice? Which team is more effective- the one that runs 100 of the same play or the one that runs 50?

Kenny Mayne on the Brady's 5th td pass to watson " ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED ". (russle crowe)

It seemed so fitting when he said it

I hate this team

Joe Bryant said:
Ok. I hear you on all this and there are lots of valid points on this theme. Getting busted for cheating is a big deal. It was a big deal when Shawne Merriman and Jason Taylor were battling for Defensive Player of The Year. It's a big deal now. But it's not the end of the world. That's annoying. And it's just as annoying to sweep it under the rug and act like nothing happened. But we've hit the limit.If you don't like what NE is doing whether it's running up the score or leg whipping or thinking their records deserve an asterisk or whatever - keep it to this thread.I don't want a ton of threads on the board doing the same thing so we're going to have this one.J
Why limit this to just NE?You could have one of these threads for all 32 teams.DEN - cut blocksSD - steroidsCIN - off-field incidentsIND - fake crowd noiseetc.

fsufan said:
i love what NE and Brady are doing. Not a fan of NE or Brady, just a fan of greatness. we are watching the greatest team and QB EVER
Well we don't really know how good they are compared to the all time greats, pretty much because the level of play this year is close to an all time low since the 70's, and also the Patriots are doing what no other great team had done before to this extent, that is running up the score shamelessly.

fsufan said:
i love what NE and Brady are doing. Not a fan of NE or Brady, just a fan of greatness. we are watching the greatest team and QB EVER
Well we don't really know how good they are compared to the all time greats, pretty much because the level of play this year is close to an all time low since the 70's, and also the Patriots are doing what no other great team had done before to this extent, that is running up the score shamelessly.
:wall:

Re: asterisk

When the NFL took their first round pick, they also made a statement that the evidence showed that the Patriots did not gain an in-game advantage from the incident. As the incident happened in the first game of the season, no in-game advantage was gained, no accusations have been made since, and the NFL has increased their monitoring of the games, there is simply no argument for any kind of official asterisk on this season. If the fans want to put one on there in their minds, they can, but that's a different conversation entirely. I'm sure there are lots of people who don't want the Pats to get credit for their accomplishments this year.

Joe Bryant said:
Ok. I hear you on all this and there are lots of valid points on this theme. Getting busted for cheating is a big deal. It was a big deal when Shawne Merriman and Jason Taylor were battling for Defensive Player of The Year. It's a big deal now. But it's not the end of the world. That's annoying. And it's just as annoying to sweep it under the rug and act like nothing happened. But we've hit the limit.If you don't like what NE is doing whether it's running up the score or leg whipping or thinking their records deserve an asterisk or whatever - keep it to this thread.I don't want a ton of threads on the board doing the same thing so we're going to have this one.J
Joe, I disagree with you on almost all counts. To my understanding, the cheating was done the first half of the first game of the season. That's a blip compared to their entire work over the entire season, assuming they win all 16 games.Regarding running up the score, as a former NCAA All-American athlete myself, my position is simple. If their opponents don't like, then their opponents should paly better defense. Were I a coach, I would discourage my players and coaches from doing anything less than a 100%, whether that be executing the plays or calling plays that are designed to score. I am not a NE fan, but the whining about what they are doing is getting out of hand. It is not NE's fault that their opponents are inferior and unable to stop NE. Blame their opponents, not NE.

Right on Joe Bryant with making this into an official FBG thread :jawdrop:

Yes, they most definitely deserve an asterisk, every championship team.
You're cheering?This thread was started to keep people like you from starting several idiotic threads.

Well, I had more to that post justifying my reasons for that statement, would you care to discuss any of them?People hate the Pats, I get it. If you think this entire season is tainted b/c of something that happened in the first couple min. of the first game - then I guess you're right, there's something I'm just not "getting". :jawdrop: Please explain it to me....
I said nothing about whether the season was tainted or not. I referred specifically to your phrase "whiny tool." If you seriously don't understand how or why using those kind of phrases repeatedly give Pats fans a bad wrap, then there's no use trying to explain anything to you.

Joe Bryant said:
Joe, I disagree with you on almost all counts. To my understanding, the cheating was done the first half of the first game of the season. That's a blip compared to their entire work over the entire season, assuming they win all 16 games.Regarding running up the score, as a former NCAA All-American athlete myself, my position is simple. If their opponents don't like, then their opponents should paly better defense. Were I a coach, I would discourage my players and coaches from doing anything less than a 100%, whether that be executing the plays or calling plays that are designed to score. I am not a NE fan, but the whining about what they are doing is getting out of hand. It is not NE's fault that their opponents are inferior and unable to stop NE. Blame their opponents, not NE.
:thumbup: Game, Set and Match. End of thread.

1999 Rams

Game-by-game results

+--------+-------------------------------+----------+---------+

| Week | Opponent | Result | Score |

| 1 | Baltimore Ravens | W | 27-10 |

| 2 | |

| 3 | Atlanta Falcons | W | 35- 7 |

| 4 | at Cincinnati Bengals | W | 38-10 |

| 5 | San Francisco 49ers | W | 42-20 |

| 6 | at Atlanta Falcons | W | 41-13 |

| 7 | Cleveland Browns | W | 34- 3 |

| 8 | at Tennessee Titans | L | 21-24 |

| 9 | at Detroit Lions | L | 27-31 |

| 10 | Carolina Panthers | W | 35-10 |

| 11 | at San Francisco 49ers | W | 23- 7 |

| 12 | New Orleans Saints | W | 43-12 |

| 13 | at Carolina Panthers | W | 34-21 |

| 14 | at New Orleans Saints | W | 30-14 |

| 15 | New York Giants | W | 31-10 |

| 16 | Chicago Bears | W | 34-12 |

| 17 | at Philadelphia Eagles | L | 31-38

Average margin of victory- 22.9 points.

Average margin of 07 Patriots- 25.4.

Is it that 2.5 point gap that makes the Patriots 'score running up' unprecidented? Or is it the fact that they are just doing it better than anybody else

Joe Bryant said:
Hi FB,That's cool to disagree. We can agree to disagree there. But the reason I made this thread was to consolidate all the other threads. I agree it was getting out of hand. :shrug:J

My thoughts:

Passing the ball on 4th down when you're up by 4 TDs or more IS running up the score. Period. You run it there. Doesn't excuse the other team for not stopping them, but it is showing a lack of sportsmanship.

What I think has happened in the NFL is very interesting. I think that back in the early days of the NFL through maybe the early 90s, the players on the field were very competitive and angry with each other. They were fighting for wins and jobs and money and took it to each other on the field as much as possible. On the other hand, the organizations were rather civil with each other. They all wanted to win, of course, but there was a lot of respect for the league and the other teams.

Then free agency happened. Now all the players are friends, they've played together on a bunch of different teams and with all the money involved and the short career span, they are pretty civil on the field toward one another (Haynesworth not withstanding). But the organizations are now very competitive with one another. They hate other teams and often try to get around league rules, like camera gate, injury reports, etc. The anger has moved from the field to the front office.

This is shown primarily in 2 areas we have seen this season: the Patriots "running up the score" and the last millisecond "icing the kicker" timeout. Back in the old days, a team would never pass on 4th down when up by 4 TDs. They would either run it, or more often as I remember it, kick the FG. It was just considered showing class. But not anymore, as the Patriots are showing.

A timeout could have been called (by the players in the past, not the coach) as late as possible before a last second FG try, but teams never used to do that. They would ice the kicker as the team started to lineup, not right as the ball was snapped. But now, the competitiveness and ruthlessness at the organizational level has led to this silly practice of calling the timeout as late as possible.

That's why I have to laugh when I see people say that some defender is going to take a shot at Brady's knees someday soon. No way. The players like and respect each other too much. Every player realizes the massive amounts of money involved and doesn't want to open themselves up to any retaliation.

To be honest, I liked it better when the competitiveness was on the field and the class was in the front office.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this has now officially become a pats board.

they dominate the internet just like they dominate the nfl.

here's to you, pats haters:

:lmao: :cry: :loco:

1999 Rams

Game-by-game results

| Week | Opponent | Result | Score |

| 1 | Baltimore Ravens | W | 27-10 |

| 2 | |

| 3 | Atlanta Falcons | W | 35- 7 |

| 4 | at Cincinnati Bengals | W | 38-10 |

| 5 | San Francisco 49ers | W | 42-20 |

| 6 | at Atlanta Falcons | W | 41-13 |

| 7 | Cleveland Browns | W | 34- 3 |

| 8 | at Tennessee Titans | L | 21-24 |

| 9 | at Detroit Lions | L | 27-31 |

| 10 | Carolina Panthers | W | 35-10 |

| 11 | at San Francisco 49ers | W | 23- 7 |

| 12 | New Orleans Saints | W | 43-12 |

| 13 | at Carolina Panthers | W | 34-21 |

| 14 | at New Orleans Saints | W | 30-14 |

| 15 | New York Giants | W | 31-10 |

| 16 | Chicago Bears | W | 34-12 |

| 17 | at Philadelphia Eagles | L | 31-38

Average margin of victory- 22.9 points.

Average margin of 07 Patriots- 25.4.

Is it that 2.5 point gap that makes the Patriots 'score running up' unprecidented? Or is it the fact that they are just doing it better than anybody else
My math could easily be wrong, but that looks like a 17.7 point differential for the Rams.Again, I don't think there is any credible debate that the Patriots ARE running up the score - reasonable minds can differ on whether they SHOULD run up the score.

I am sorry that my Pats are making some teams look bad...I honestly wish some teams would step up and make a game of it. I was glad that teams like the Cowboys and Colts both stepped up to play. Here were games where two teams could play out a full 60 minutes. Here were games where the Pats actually fell behind in the game and had to battle back to win. I wish there was more games like these this season.

I cringed at last nights game. I guess some feel that the Pats need to stop scoring earlier and let some of the second stringers in...even last night though, here was a team that didn't have success against the backup players.

I really don't know what people expect the Pats to do to stop scoring? I mean in the fourth quarter they punted the ball away from the Buffalo 31 yard line...that could have easily been a field goal for the Pats. Buffalo could not stop Evans and Eckels from running the ball. These are not top RBs for the Pats. I know they should have kicked a field goal at 4-2, but usually a field goal is automatic, where you could make a goal line stand to get the ball back on 4-2.

I do think the Pats use some of these games to practice...I know when it is a blow out, going for it on 4-2 is no big deal. What happens when the Pats are behind in a game, and need to go for it on 4-2? They are thinking long term here, and not of the feelings of the other team. Last nights punt was to see if they could get it within five yards of the end zone. Practice again.

I listen to Sirius NFL Network, and the discussion of Mercy to the other team always comes up. If there was a Mercy Rule though where the other team could call off the Dogs and end the game, do you think a team would really do that??? I still believe if you want the Dogs call off, start removing your starters first.

I would like to see Brady get the passing TD record...the only way to do that though is to keep chucking the ball...I think there have been a few games where he could have gotten a few more TDs already, but then you really could accuse them of running up the score. If he does come up short, I am going to remember those few games that could have made the difference.

I know some hate the Pats, and that is your right. As a Pats fan we have also been on the receiving end of some lopsided games in the past. It is just part of the game. Also, being a Pats fan doesn't make you an automatic Belichick fan. Tough person to have as the face of the Franchise!

:shrug:

Passing the ball on 4th down when you're up by 4 TDs or more IS running up the score. Period. You run it there. Doesn't excuse the other team for not stopping them, but it is showing a lack of sportsmanship.
what you're suggesting is that they do exactly what the other team expects, or a staging of a play? Isn't that the epitome of poor sportsmanship? Don't the fans pay to see teams play every down? This is a commercial spectacle, like it of not. This isn't you and your pals playing a backyard game. Or the 4x defending HS state champion playing the winless team from the neighboring town. This is the NFL. This is the professional level. Let's contrast it w/ the professional business world. You can release a product you know will put your competition, who has been falling further and further behind you in the field, out of business. Do you not release your product, because it's unsportsmanlike? Of course not. You're in the professional ranks. You're PAID to play hard every down. You do so, or you're being unprofessional. This nonsense that nobody ever ran up the score until this year is just hilarious. Do you think the rest of us didn't see the NFFC win 13 SB's in a row, most of them by 30+ points. That doesn't happen on accident. I just can't get over football fans whining about millionaires losing by too much and calling it unsportsmanlike. What you should be whining about is your team quitting.

If winning 3 Super Bowls and practicaly achieving perfection is a result of video-taping signals, I'm stupified as to why every team wouldn't take the risk.

what you're suggesting is that they do exactly what the other team expects, or a staging of a play? Isn't that the epitome of poor sportsmanship? Don't the fans pay to see teams play every down? This is a commercial spectacle, like it of not. This isn't you and your pals playing a backyard game. Or the 4x defending HS state champion playing the winless team from the neighboring town. This is the NFL. This is the professional level. Let's contrast it w/ the professional business world. You can release a product you know will put your competition, who has been falling further and further behind you in the field, out of business. Do you not release your product, because it's unsportsmanlike? Of course not. You're in the professional ranks. You're PAID to play hard every down. You do so, or you're being unprofessional. This nonsense that nobody ever ran up the score until this year is just hilarious. Do you think the rest of us didn't see the NFFC win 13 SB's in a row, most of them by 30+ points. That doesn't happen on accident. I just can't get over football fans whining about millionaires losing by too much and calling it unsportsmanlike. What you should be whining about is your team quitting.
I'm saying that in the past, teams ran for it in those situations. If you don't remember that, I don't know how to help you. I'm pretty sure the Bills didn't quit last night, but thanks for playing.

My math could easily be wrong, but that looks like a 17.7 point differential for the Rams.Again, I don't think there is any credible debate that the Patriots ARE running up the score - reasonable minds can differ on whether they SHOULD run up the score.
Are you counting the losses? Cant run up the score when you're losing, i only included margin of victories.

I'm saying that in the past, teams ran for it in those situations. If you don't remember that, I don't know how to help you. I'm pretty sure the Bills didn't quit last night, but thanks for playing.
This team doesnt run the ball. One of their backs is already on IR, the other is constantly hurt, and a third is now hurt as well. Im not sure i see the upside for the Pats running the ball. You might as well argue they should kneel on it. Whats the difference?

what you're suggesting is that they do exactly what the other team expects, or a staging of a play? Isn't that the epitome of poor sportsmanship? Don't the fans pay to see teams play every down? This is a commercial spectacle, like it of not. This isn't you and your pals playing a backyard game. Or the 4x defending HS state champion playing the winless team from the neighboring town. This is the NFL. This is the professional level. Let's contrast it w/ the professional business world. You can release a product you know will put your competition, who has been falling further and further behind you in the field, out of business. Do you not release your product, because it's unsportsmanlike? Of course not. You're in the professional ranks. You're PAID to play hard every down. You do so, or you're being unprofessional.

This nonsense that nobody ever ran up the score until this year is just hilarious. Do you think the rest of us didn't see the NFFC win 13 SB's in a row, most of them by 30+ points. That doesn't happen on accident.

I just can't get over football fans whining about millionaires losing by too much and calling it unsportsmanlike. What you should be whining about is your team quitting.
Really? I saw a Buffalo team that completely gave up after the INT on the first drive, on a route the receiver quit running...

In the past teams ran more, period. Again. If your top three backs are either out or banged up, one of them for the season, which is the smarter play for your team? Do you run one of them into a pile? Or do you avoid the pile. You know the answer. At the end of the day, the Pats are hammering people, but the alternative is to quit being the team they are. I say it's more unsportsmanlike to expect people to lay down and let you have the ball back. You disagree. I say quitting ont he game is unsportsmanlike. As to quitting. You don't lose 56-10, and it easilly could have been worse, if you don't quit.

Maybe there not "running up the score" so much as they are trying to keep thier senior-citizen LB corps off the field as long as possable.

Users who are viewing this thread