What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Road to the 2017 Breeders Cup*** - GUN RUNNER Romps, Rob Ryan Doppleganger Rejoices! (1 Viewer)

early analysis of the Bluegrass, with McCRACKEN slotted as 7/5 favorite, TAPWRIT at 5/2

here's a look at 'Crack's latest work ... appears to be sound and ready to roll - he could uncork a huge one Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
checking the best odds for each horse, via the various books handling the action across the innerwebz ... HENCE at 40/1 looks like a very decent spec -

Privin and Watchmaker  on the three big preps this week (Bluegrass/Santa Anita Derby/Wood Memorial), along with their respective takes on who they view as the Top 20.  

as stacked as the Bluegrass is, i think the Wood is the most interesting of the three, as far as stamping Churchill cred  ... BATTALION RUNNER ,IRISH WAR CRY, CLOUD COMPUTING  - will the Derby contender please step up?

GORMLEY and ILIAD need big efforts at S.A - mercurial horses here.

biggest prep weekend yet, only one left after Saturday, that will be the Arkansas Derby on 4/15 ,where we'll get the long awaited return of CLASSIC EMPIRE - will be challenged by Sunland Derby darling HENCE.

exactly one month 'til they hit the gate at the Twin Spires   :thumbup:

three big ones today ... let's get into this:

Blue Grass Stakes  - we all know about the top two, let's revisit their Sam Davis battle back in February ... this is the race that sold me on TAPWRIT, had a tough time in the stretch, but once Ortiz angled him out, he was dead set on McCRACKEN, and looked like he may have polished him off with another furlong.   

'Crack has been working well, and this will be his first time out since  ... he needs this one much more than Tap, so i'd expect a more urgent effort from him today in this smaller field.  a big move can be made by the two understudies, J BOYS ECHO and PRACTICAL JOKE -  both already locked for Churchill, but tepid mid-pack considerations as of right now. both are seasoned with this year's stakes crop, so no surprises, though a sound 'Crack and Tap will be the classiest they've tangled with.   here's J BOY taking down the Gotham his last time out, besting a hotly contested pace.  meanwhile, PJ was undefeated through his first three starts, 'til he ran into CLASSIC EMPIRE (BC Juvy) and GUNNEVERA (F.O.Y.) - here's his finest moment, eight months ago to the day, at the 2016 Champagne - hell of an effort, considering his awkward start, and closing on those blazing fractions.

'Crack and Tap are clearly the class coming in, but would not be shocked to see one of the other two mentioned take this down, especially considering the rusty status of the favorite, and the lack of urgency (as far as KD points) from Tap (we saw it with Gunny last week, though it was a bigger field and outside post at Gulfstream)

hell of a field, should be a great race - PPs here

Wood Memorial - the NY circuit has been pretty much bust city lately, and this race features a quartet of head scratchers - #8 IRISH WAR CRY,  # 2 MO TOWN, #7 CLOUD COMPUTING, #3 BATTALION RUNNER - any of these four can run away with this race, but leaning to IWC, as i think he rebounds nicely at the Big A.  

IWC looked like he was on top of his game, and heading towards the Derby as a short priced horse ... then he totally crapped out in his last race, finishing a well beaten seventh in the F.O.Y.   here's a look back at his biggest day, besting Gunny and Classic Empire in the Holy Bull - if he runs back to that form (and perhaps F.O.Y. was his bounce), then he should take this field today with room to spare.

BATTALION RUNNER is shaping up as the 'wiseguy' choice here, and will be making his fourth career start, first in stakes company.  here he is on NYE, breaking his maiden at Gulfstream in an MSW 40k, bagging a 108 bsf in the process.

MO TOWN flopped last time at the Risen Star, but got on the map with this win at last November's Remsen, also posting a 108 Beyer.  

CLOUD COMPUTING only making his third start, ran a respectable second to a runaway J BOYS in the above linked Gotham -  needs to prove it at this distance.

can't see a sound IWC not hitting the wire first ... think BATTALION gonna duel with him. CC is the wild card, MO can close if the pace gets hot.    PPs for all nominees here 

Santa Anita Derby - much like the Wood, it has a number of horses who seem to be on the verge of a breakout, then they dive in the other direction.  good analysis from Timeform US and DRF's Bernier and Illman, i like Timeform's and Bernier's call of the #2 REACH THE WORLD here ... GORMLEY, ILIAD, AMERICAN ANTHEM have all been very suspect this season, so this is a nice spot for the Baffert trained #2 to make his mark and secure a gate for May 6th - but i wouldn't be surprised to see any of nine other horses take this down (toss the #4. #10, #12) :shrug:  

YUUUUUUGE hole out there with MASTERY sidelined :(   - he toyed with GORMLEY and ILIAD in the San Felipe, and looked the best out of all the prep winners, imo.  big shoes to fill today, would expect some fresh blood to step up, though if one of the trio i mentioned above do manage the win i will easily toss them for Kderby.  not sold.  

here are PPs for all nominees

great day for the sport, let's get 'em all home sound  :thumbup:

For me #8 CC in The Wood,  #3 JBE in The Blue Grass.

Races set for 5:52 & 6:17 EDT on NBC Sports Network.

For me #8 CC in The Wood,  #3 JBE in The Blue Grass.

Races set for 5:52 & 6:17 EDT on NBC Sports Network.
JBE has the chops to bust the wire, will be very interesting to see how 'Crack is placed early, seeing as how there is really no 'rabbit' in there ... would expect four across as they turn for home.

CC is the one up here everyone is waiting on, IWC is the reluctant beast who has the game to win every time out - big questions need to be answered today in Queens.

as far as the futures ...UNTRAPPED is a very overlooked horse who may find Churchill to his liking, and, at 72/1 - i'd plunk coin hoping he would  :thumbup:

Just hit the Trifecta Box in the Wood -  3,7,8 for $422 on a $60 spread. 

Betting against McCraken to win here. 3/4/5 w 1-5 w 1-5,7. $2 tri. Come on baby.... 

IRISH WAR CRY walked it in the Wood, to BATTALION RUNNER, CLOUD COMPUTING

31/1 IRAP takes down the Blue Grass, with PRACTICAL JOKE and McCRACKEN bringin the back - IRAP rated beautifully off the pace, and had enough to close it out ... PJ had to make an early move, and may have been used too quickly, but one #######' hell of a valiant run to the wire - although second, he opened eyes with that effort  :thumbup:   but he left an awful hell of a lot on the Kenneland track ... gonna take a huge heart to see him factoring next month.    TAPWRIT had a moment, then thought of the Derby ... not dissuaded at all by his showing today.

Have the top 5 horses in a $5 exacta box to close out the day. Maintaining the profit and taking a (very mild) shot at a ++ day. Up $166 even if I brick the SA. Enough to play the Derby effectively (for me at least.) 

GORMLEY emerges from a wild and spread out turn for home to take the S.A. Derby ... BATTLE OF MIDWAY held on for second, while ROYAL MO clipped in for show dough ... fast 1/4, rest to the 1/2 ... then it was all up for grabs - GORMLEY dug in and did his work, on to Churchill for him, and possibly BOM.    uninspiring field/crop, but GORMLEY looks to be much the best out West. 

Have the top 5 horses in a $5 exacta box to close out the day. Maintaining the profit and taking a (very mild) shot at a ++ day. Up $166 even if I brick the SA. Enough to play the Derby effectively (for me at least.) 
pretty generous $48 balloons return on the buck, hope ya had B.O.M. up in there  :thumbup:

IRAP steals the Blue Grass, with a very game PRACTICAL JOKE on his heels.

IRISH WAR CRY returns to form in the Wood, with newcomer BATTALION RUNNER a good four lengths back.

GORMLEY survives a wild S.A. Derby, and is now best in the West ... decent run from BATTLE OF MIDWAY for second.

ONE LINER - another officially off the trail   :deadhorse:    looked very good in the Southwest, now gonna sit for awhile  :(

that leaves UNTRAPPED and HENCE as main challengers to CLASSIC EMPIRE on Saturday.

meanwhile, last week's BSFs:  IRISH WAR CRY - 101  IRAP - 93  GORMLEY - 88

I'm throwing out all West coast horses this year.  Too many injuries to the big names, too slow of times.  I hate a bunched up finish line in a major prep - usually means they are all plodders.  Santa Anita Derby was like that.   Good race by Irish War Cry and I trust Graham Motion.  Very interested in Hence.  Those are the 2 I'm focusing on.  Weird year.  No real standouts.  Post position and trip will likely decide it, and a bomb could pop up for the first time in a few years.

I'm throwing out all West coast horses this year.  Too many injuries to the big names, too slow of times.  I hate a bunched up finish line in a major prep - usually means they are all plodders.  Santa Anita Derby was like that.   Good race by Irish War Cry and I trust Graham Motion.  Very interested in Hence.  Those are the 2 I'm focusing on.  Weird year.  No real standouts.  Post position and trip will likely decide it, and a bomb could pop up for the first time in a few years.
whodathunk that a horse coming off his first ever Stakes race - ALWAYS DREAMING- is shaping up to be the favorite at Churchill (think he'll garner a bit more favor than IWC). 

really hope CLASSIC EMPIRE runs a big one in Arkansas .... he'll take an awful lot of coin with him on May 6th if he does, but none of it will be mine ... mercurial cat, don't trust him to fully fire back in three weeks. 

still have my eyes on the quartet of Gunny, Tap, Girvin, Untrapped -will build my exotics around one - works and post position being the tell. 

Hence ran a great one at Sunland ... folks been sleeping on him.  will fetch the best odds out of all the prep winners, imo ... thinking CE takes down Arkansas, with Untrapped and Hence gettin' their work in right behind. 

Judge Smails said:
Weird year.  No real standouts.  Post position and trip will likely decide it, and a bomb could pop up for the first time in a few years.
I was just about to post something very much like this. Bad year to go all in on one horse, unless it's a longshot.

Last three winners were 3-1, 5-2 and 5-2.  Orb was 7-2 before that.  Have to go back to I'll Have Another to find the last double-digit payout, so I for one welcome this crop of horses and think it's a year where an astute handicapper with experience can mine the field for a great payout.  Color me intrigued.  If I could short a horse, I'd borrow all the shares I could on Always Dreaming at what my book is offering:  +350!  C'mon man :lmao:

That said, Always Dreaming did run the fastest Florida Derby time since 1978 when a little known horse named Alydar ran a 1:47 flat.  Always Dreaming ran a 1:47:47 which was better than Big Brown, Barbaro, Nyquist, Orb, Empire Maker, Monarchos and Swale, to name a notable few.  I expect Always Dreaming will have longer ML Odds than what my book has now, but I can see where this interest is coming from.   

GM, as i mentioned after AD's Fla. Derby win, there was a speed bias that day, and i believe a couple other  records fell.  i had linked to his previous start (prior to Fla. Derby) and he was quite pedestrian (in allow co.) ... of course, the hope is that he is hitting stride at the perfect time, and that his best effort will be his next (Derby). 

i'm also not so fixated on the winner as i am on my exotics ... a 3/1 winner at the Derby gonna pay the same ($8 and change) as a 3/1 winner at a bullring like Mountaineer ... i'm looking to build the exotics around one horse, then key with eight or nine others - the Derby exotics can yield life changing payouts - that's my hook, and i've been playing it as such for about ten years now (since BARBARO in '06).

this is a very ripe year for this method, as their will be plenty of longer plays to chuck in w/my key colt. 

GM, as i mentioned after AD's Fla. Derby win, there was a speed bias that day, and i believe a couple other  records fell.  i had linked to his previous start (prior to Fla. Derby) and he was quite pedestrian (in allow co.) ... of course, the hope is that he is hitting stride at the perfect time, and that his best effort will be his next (Derby). 

i'm also not so fixated on the winner as i am on my exotics ... a 3/1 winner at the Derby gonna pay the same ($8 and change) as a 3/1 winner at a bullring like Mountaineer ... i'm looking to build the exotics around one horse, then key with eight or nine others - the Derby exotics can yield life changing payouts - that's my hook, and i've been playing it as such for about ten years now (since BARBARO in '06).

this is a very ripe year for this method, as their will be plenty of longer plays to chuck in w/my key colt. 
Oh, I'm with you.  To date, Funny Cide remains one of my largest payouts and I've tried for years to duplicate that magic at the Derby.  Didn't see the post about the speed bias so that's good to know.  I have not been paying attention to the prep races at all until now, so I have a TON of catching up to do, although maybe it might benefit me to come in absent a bias, which has hurt me in the past.  

I have started watching HBO's Luck recently and am getting psyched up for racing again in general.

Yeah buddies and I always go after the Super (they hit Big Brown before I got involved,  later hit Animal Kingdom).   Hit last year too but lost money.  Think we somehow missed the other chalky ones

Debating passing this year, although the way the field is shaping up it might not be a chalk fest.  Well see

Oh, I'm with you.  To date, Funny Cide remains one of my largest payouts and I've tried for years to duplicate that magic at the Derby.  Didn't see the post about the speed bias so that's good to know.  I have not been paying attention to the prep races at all until now, so I have a TON of catching up to do, although maybe it might benefit me to come in absent a bias, which has hurt me in the past.  

I have started watching HBO's Luck recently and am getting psyched up for racing again in general.
Luck was a great show, a shame it couldn't continue

Yeah buddies and I always go after the Super (they hit Big Brown before I got involved,  later hit Animal Kingdom).   Hit last year too but lost money.  Think we somehow missed the other chalky ones

Debating passing this year, although the way the field is shaping up it might not be a chalk fest.  Well see
all the BOMB payouts seem to have subsided since the points system was instituted ... also factor in dynamic money siphoning colts (Orb, Chrome, AP, Nyquist) who were definitely worthy of the coin they drew at the top of those ex fix. 

i also think online wagering has a hand in it ... more informed bettors with the convenience of plunking down from their easy chair, and dialing in to these exotics, watering down the payouts - the landscape has drastically changed since the '09 exotics windfall .... but this is certainly a year to expect a return to those suitcase days ... i think some dicey (out of the money) horses are gonna be clogging up an awful lot of losing tris/supers, leaving a nice path to glory for those who wager the other way ?

Please do not remind me of the Barbaro race and big exotics...

The points system has changed things.  You don't get sprinters setting stupid fractions just because an owner wanted to come to the Derby.  So you have fewer Derby's where the race just totally falls apart at the end.  You can get bombs underneath though...

Please do not remind me of the Barbaro race and big exotics...
was the first year i built my exotics as mentioned above, with #13 BLUEGRASS CAT as my key - came up for the exacta under BARBARO ($597, brilliant sneak in payout below 'signer' level), and anchored my tri ($11,000 and change, to #2 STEPPENWOLFER) ... long story short here - left him off my super ticket, made a huge gaffe at the window, had the #12 SWEET NORTHERN SAINT on the tix by accident - yeah, was :banned:  and in a hurry, never checked before i left the Meadowlands ... by the time i realized, we were on rt. 120 heading home, too late to hump back to the swamp to correct. 

was impossible explaining to folks how bagging close to 12 large was actually a ####### loss in the grand scheme of things ... insult to injury was that it was  a dead heat for super bottom (LAWYER RON, JAZIL), so it was a dual payout  :(

early look at the Arkansas Derby ... pretty nice field here, and i was mistaken up thread in heralding HENCE for this race ... he's actually already at Churchill, and breezing some stellar works. 

MALAGACY with a poor post draw (#12 of 12) and a bigger stretch out than his Rebel score -  even so, if CE flops. expect him to be a factor.

otb_lifer said:
was the first year i built my exotics as mentioned above, with #13 BLUEGRASS CAT as my key - came up for the exacta under BARBARO ($597, brilliant sneak in payout below 'signer' level), and anchored my tri ($11,000 and change, to #2 STEPPENWOLFER) ... long story short here - left him off my super ticket, made a huge gaffe at the window, had the #12 SWEET NORTHERN SAINT on the tix by accident - yeah, was :banned:  and in a hurry, never checked before i left the Meadowlands ... by the time i realized, we were on rt. 120 heading home, too late to hump back to the swamp to correct. 

was impossible explaining to folks how bagging close to 12 large was actually a ####### loss in the grand scheme of things ... insult to injury was that it was  a dead heat for super bottom (LAWYER RON, JAZIL), so it was a dual payout  :(
I hate you.  So that day I made $1500 on my first play of the day, a $5 tri at Churchill.  I liked Barbaro on the win end and I really liked Steppenwolfer and Jazil to clunk up for 3rd and 4th.  I was up so I said what the heck -  I bet $10 tri's and $5 Supers.  The $10 tri's were Barbaro to 5 horses (mostly the California/Baffert horses like AP Warrior, Point Determined, Brother Derek, Bob and John and 1 other), with Steppenwolfer solo in 3rd.  $10 tri's.  Then the $5 supers were Barbaro/same 5 horses/Steppenwolfer/Jazil.  Barbaro wins at 6-1, Steppenwolfer comes in 3rd at 16-1, Jazil deadheats for 4th at 24-1.  I liked Bluegrass Cat early on in the trail, but he backed up in his final prep and my rule was to always bet against those.  Tri paid $5800 for $1 and Super paid $42K for $1.  If I would have had Bluegrass Cat in there it would have been over a quarter million.  Swear on a bible true story.

I hate you.  So that day I made $1500 on my first play of the day, a $5 tri at Churchill.  I liked Barbaro on the win end and I really liked Steppenwolfer and Jazil to clunk up for 3rd and 4th.  I was up so I said what the heck -  I bet $10 tri's and $5 Supers.  The $10 tri's were Barbaro to 5 horses (mostly the California/Baffert horses like AP Warrior, Point Determined, Brother Derek, Bob and John and 1 other), with Steppenwolfer solo in 3rd.  $10 tri's.  Then the $5 supers were Barbaro/same 5 horses/Steppenwolfer/Jazil.  Barbaro wins at 6-1, Steppenwolfer comes in 3rd at 16-1, Jazil deadheats for 4th at 24-1.  I liked Bluegrass Cat early on in the trail, but he backed up in his final prep and my rule was to always bet against those.  Tri paid $5800 for $1 and Super paid $42K for $1.  If I would have had Bluegrass Cat in there it would have been over a quarter million.  Swear on a bible true story.
:deadhorse:     

damn, as much as i hate reliving that race myself, it is always a reminder to check tix thrice, and to always go with the gut .... in your case, you played your angle on Bluegrass Cat - suck ### beat, but, yeah ... we are all too familiar with those up in this game  :(

howzabout the year ('05) prior?  i was all about Bellamy Road and Afleet Alex ... made a nice tri/super box, which included Giacomo on a pure spec ... was so psyched to see him charging home, but, then ... CLOSING #######' ARGUMENT? at 77/1??!?  that super paid a shade over $800,000 - can't beat myself up on that one, would've never tossed the second place finisher on my ticket.  

aside to that one, was a guy who hung at Tutta Pasta in Hoboken (Danny Aiello's joint) ... he played a super based on birthday/anniversary numbers, and took it down .... $2 cold bet, i believe -  x 400,000 R.O.I.     :excited:

i honestly don't think we'll see that kinda haul again ... pools are so saturated these days, and the chalk horses have been bangin' since the points system came to fruition ... but this Derby has the best potential in recent years.  the chalk coming in to this one are all so highly suspect, it's one of those years where any of these are as likely to finish 20th as they are 1st  :shrug:

Arkansas Derby PPs

PETROV/ SONNETEER /UNTRAPPED carrying 118  - nice trio to spec on, seasoned in this company.

will take a longer look at this one before settling - think it's very wide open, considering CE's rust and MALAGACY's post draw.

down to Oaklawn, for the last big prep of the season, Derby only three weeks away ...

this race is all about #2 Classic Empire (8/5) ... back from his foot abscess, and geared to roll.  one reason to get behind him today is that he is ready to run - read a comment from his assistant trainer while he was sidelined, along the lines of saying that CE is the kinda colt who lets you know when he's good to go ... refused to work for awhile, even though he was apparently healed.  balked at the barn, wouldn't set foot outside his stall.

well, now he's back, and worked up to this prep with zero problems.  make no mistake, if he's sound and fit, he's the class here, and an easy top five for the big one.  but ... if he hits trouble today with that injury flaring up, he's toast ... think Big Brown in the '08 Belmont.

but, ya know what? let's be optimistic for a change, and assume 100% health. ... in that case, he is a ####### bargain at anything over even money.  he needs this race, to boot ... last time out in the Holy Bull he chased Irish War Cry for a good 3/4 of the way, and then was dusted, with Gunnevera passing him, as well.   needs to run back to his finest hour, the 2016 Breeders Cup Juvy - where he held off a furious rally by Not This Time.  

what about Malagacy? i was a big believer in him going in to the Rebel, and picked him to take it down.  he didn't disappoint, and that was a perfect spot for Pletcher to introduce him to Stakes company.   now, as for today, theory here, with an assist from Gunnevera's Florida Derby debacle - Mal is IN for May 6th, and has the outside (#12) draw, same as Gunny at the FD.  how hard do they wanna use this colt today?  yeah, the connections want a piece of that purse, of course ... but the future rights to a KD winner will dwarf that of an Ark. Derby winner who left too much on the track to factor in three weeks.  but, man ... tough to overlook him here - an expected hot early pace can give him a comfy rating zone, and then he can call on his pop's (Shackleford) cruising speed.  a step below CE in class coming in, but capable of taking this by a length or two.  the first 1/4 will be crucial to him.

on that note, let's look at last month's Rebel, where Malagacy took command in the stretch - a very slow prep (91 bsf for the winner), and a butchered call by Staufer :loco:  

in that replay we'll also see today's #3 Silver Dust (20/1), #4 Petrov (12/1), #6 Lookin' At Lee (15/1), #7 Sonneteer (15/1), #9 Untrapped (6/1).

all familiar with this track and company, with Sonneteer rallying up for second at 100/1 odds   :shock:  and that makes him a very interesting horse today.  a well seasoned three year old, who looks to be finding his way at the right time.  in what has been a very strange prep season, wouldn't shock me at all to see him hit the wire first.  

i've studied this circuit's preps a lot, and always find a way to pump up Untrapped ... cat just always seems to run his race, and find the board. the most honest horse here, and, if i had to bet my last red cent on ONE horse today to be in the money, it would be him.  if you are looking to play exotics, he is a must use.  the perfect key horse for this crop.

Petrov is similarly viewed, but i feel a notch below Untrapped.  has the chops to factor, but may be over matched by a very deep field.

new shooter down there is #11 Conquest Mo Money, who was an undefeated Sunland juggernaut 'til he ran into Hence last time out. held the lead in that Sunland Derby, then gave way turning for home ... looked to be gassed, but battled back down the stretch, and held for second ... of note, last week's Blue Grass winner, Irap, was fourth here, a good four to five lengths behind Conquest Mo.    

what to expect? well, if CE is on, expect a three length win over any combo of Untrapped/ Conquest Mo/Sonneteer/Petrov/Mal  (Untrapped in the money).

if CE is off? expect the unexpected, with perhaps even #1 Rockin' Ruby wiring the field   :loco:

you read, you decide - PPs here

:deadhorse:     

damn, as much as i hate reliving that race myself, it is always a reminder to check tix thrice, and to always go with the gut .... in your case, you played your angle on Bluegrass Cat - suck ### beat, but, yeah ... we are all too familiar with those up in this game  :(

howzabout the year ('05) prior?  i was all about Bellamy Road and Afleet Alex ... made a nice tri/super box, which included Giacomo on a pure spec ... was so psyched to see him charging home, but, then ... CLOSING #######' ARGUMENT? at 77/1??!?  that super paid a shade over $800,000 - can't beat myself up on that one, would've never tossed the second place finisher on my ticket.  

aside to that one, was a guy who hung at Tutta Pasta in Hoboken (Danny Aiello's joint) ... he played a super based on birthday/anniversary numbers, and took it down .... $2 cold bet, i believe -  x 400,000 R.O.I.     :excited:

i honestly don't think we'll see that kinda haul again ... pools are so saturated these days, and the chalk horses have been bangin' since the points system came to fruition ... but this Derby has the best potential in recent years.  the chalk coming in to this one are all so highly suspect, it's one of those years where any of these are as likely to finish 20th as they are 1st  :shrug:
Please don't bring up Giacomo ever again. Thanks

down to Oaklawn, for the last big prep of the season, Derby only three weeks away ...

this race is all about #2 Classic Empire (8/5) ... back from his foot abscess, and geared to roll.  one reason to get behind him today is that he is ready to run - read a comment from his assistant trainer while he was sidelined, along the lines of saying that CE is the kinda colt who lets you know when he's good to go ... refused to work for awhile, even though he was apparently healed.  balked at the barn, wouldn't set foot outside his stall.

well, now he's back, and worked up to this prep with zero problems.  make no mistake, if he's sound and fit, he's the class here, and an easy top five for the big one.  but ... if he hits trouble today with that injury flaring up, he's toast ... think Big Brown in the '08 Belmont.

but, ya know what? let's be optimistic for a change, and assume 100% health. ... in that case, he is a ####### bargain at anything over even money.  he needs this race, to boot ... last time out in the Holy Bull he chased Irish War Cry for a good 3/4 of the way, and then was dusted, with Gunnevera passing him, as well.   needs to run back to his finest hour, the 2016 Breeders Cup Juvy - where he held off a furious rally by Not This Time.  

what about Malagacy? i was a big believer in him going in to the Rebel, and picked him to take it down.  he didn't disappoint, and that was a perfect spot for Pletcher to introduce him to Stakes company.   now, as for today, theory here, with an assist from Gunnevera's Florida Derby debacle - Mal is IN for May 6th, and has the outside (#12) draw, same as Gunny at the FD.  how hard do they wanna use this colt today?  yeah, the connections want a piece of that purse, of course ... but the future rights to a KD winner will dwarf that of an Ark. Derby winner who left too much on the track to factor in three weeks.  but, man ... tough to overlook him here - an expected hot early pace can give him a comfy rating zone, and then he can call on his pop's (Shackleford) cruising speed.  a step below CE in class coming in, but capable of taking this by a length or two.  the first 1/4 will be crucial to him.

on that note, let's look at last month's Rebel, where Malagacy took command in the stretch - a very slow prep (91 bsf for the winner), and a butchered call by Staufer :loco:  

in that replay we'll also see today's #3 Silver Dust (20/1), #4 Petrov (12/1), #6 Lookin' At Lee (15/1), #7 Sonneteer (15/1), #9 Untrapped (6/1).

all familiar with this track and company, with Sonneteer rallying up for second at 100/1 odds   :shock:  and that makes him a very interesting horse today.  a well seasoned three year old, who looks to be finding his way at the right time.  in what has been a very strange prep season, wouldn't shock me at all to see him hit the wire first.  

i've studied this circuit's preps a lot, and always find a way to pump up Untrapped ... cat just always seems to run his race, and find the board. the most honest horse here, and, if i had to bet my last red cent on ONE horse today to be in the money, it would be him.  if you are looking to play exotics, he is a must use.  the perfect key horse for this crop.

Petrov is similarly viewed, but i feel a notch below Untrapped.  has the chops to factor, but may be over matched by a very deep field.

new shooter down there is #11 Conquest Mo Money, who was an undefeated Sunland juggernaut 'til he ran into Hence last time out. held the lead in that Sunland Derby, then gave way turning for home ... looked to be gassed, but battled back down the stretch, and held for second ... of note, last week's Blue Grass winner, Irap, was fourth here, a good four to five lengths behind Conquest Mo.    

what to expect? well, if CE is on, expect a three length win over any combo of Untrapped/ Conquest Mo/Sonneteer/Petrov/Mal  (Untrapped in the money).

if CE is off? expect the unexpected, with perhaps even #1 Rockin' Ruby wiring the field   :loco:

you read, you decide - PPs here
looks like a NW3 allowance cept the fave - i guess four wks out is the cutoff now for any serious prep....

thx for paving the Derby road for us, lifer - it's been a pleasure, even w a lackluster class, and your yeoman work in that regard is appreciated.

looks like a NW3 allowance cept the fave - i guess four wks out is the cutoff now for any serious prep....

thx for paving the Derby road for us, lifer - it's been a pleasure, even w a lackluster class, and your yeoman work in that regard is appreciated.
-  grazie, wik   :hifive:   been a hell of a prep season, the trail has been one of attrition, rather than the coronations we've seen recently - wide open gig.

liking the looks of UNTRAPPED more and more down at Oaklawn later on this afternoon. as i said in my earlier post, he's honest and steady ... and for today he adds the blinkers, and pilot change to Mike Smith - might be the tonic(s) to finally push this one over the top.

CLASSIC EMPIRE looked every much the beast - inhaled a tight bunch down the stretch, making a strong move - looked very impressive 

CONQUEST MO MONEY held for second, to LOOKIN' AT LEE, with SONNETEER rounding out the super.

UNTRAPPED made a very early 4 wide move :( , gassed in the stretch, gave way to a charge by the rest.  

MALAGACY? see my above preview  :shrug:

ETA: after watching replay - CE didn't have the smoothest trip here, but, once corrected - BOOM ... also looked a bit green (lugging out down the strtech), showing that rust.  gotta tell ya, it was a better effort, considering the circumstances, than i expected.

i also said up thread that i hope he runs a big one, so that he takes a ton of coin in three weeks ... well, he earned KDerby favorite status today, and will undoubtedly go off as such next month.  question now is, do you trust him to run as sound as this ... he navigated traffic, made a tremendous move, and looked like he had a ton left.

he will be your KD favorite.

I liked the way Sonneteer was coming late, felt like with another 1/4, he would have finished second at worst. I don't know where he stands in points, but could potentially be a factor at Churchill if he's running. OTB, does that horse have a distance pedigree of any note? 

I liked the way Sonneteer was coming late, felt like with another 1/4, he would have finished second at worst. I don't know where he stands in points, but could potentially be a factor at Churchill if he's running. OTB, does that horse have a distance pedigree of any note? 
outta Midnight Lute (two time BC Sprint Winner), and most of that line has excelled in the shorter distances ... but Unbridled's Song on the Dam line, coupled with Derby winner Real Quiet in the Sire line, suggest that he may be adept at the stretch out.

he is currently a smidge back in the points race - Untrapped (34) and Lookin' At Lee (32, more on him to come)  are slightly ahead, and the top two waiting in the wings in case of drop outs from the top 20 (they are 21 and 22. respectively), while Sonneteer is tied with Royal Mo and Local Hero, at 30 points apiece.  i don't believe he was nominated for KD, so owners would have to supplement his entry (dunno how much $$$$ that entails these days) ... in short, don't think we see him in Churchill.

now, back to Lookin' At Lee ... thought he was incredible coming home yesterday ... the jock was zigging and zagging his ### all over the ####### place down the stretch ... but he was flying once in the clear, and i thought he looked better than Sonneteer in that respect.  both gave great efforts, but the chicanery LAL overcame was a bit more impressive. 

Funny Cide, tambien.    :hifive:

Arkansas Derby  - see Classic Empire's late charge, Lookin' At Lee's diving in and out like a wasp nest was on him, Sonneteer's roar in the stretch, Conquest Mo's true grit to hold second, the quizzical four wide early move by Smith on Untrapped, and Malagacy giving way to the eventual superfecta ...  

btw ... ya know whose stock has been rising while munching on oats and carrots? HENCE, that's who ... blew away Conquest Mo in the Sunland by four, with eventual Blue Grass winner IRAP  eight lengths back.  :thumbup:

outta Midnight Lute (two time BC Sprint Winner), and most of that line has excelled in the shorter distances ... but Unbridled's Song on the Dam line, coupled with Derby winner Real Quiet in the Sire line, suggest that he may be adept at the stretch out.

he is currently a smidge back in the points race - Untrapped (34) and Lookin' At Lee (32, more on him to come)  are slightly ahead, and the top two waiting in the wings in case of drop outs from the top 20 (they are 21 and 22. respectively), while Sonneteer is tied with Royal Mo and Local Hero, at 30 points apiece.  i don't believe he was nominated for KD, so owners would have to supplement his entry (dunno how much $$$$ that entails these days) ... in short, don't think we see him in Churchill.

now, back to Lookin' At Lee ... thought he was incredible coming home yesterday ... the jock was zigging and zagging his ### all over the ####### place down the stretch ... but he was flying once in the clear, and i thought he looked better than Sonneteer in that respect.  both gave great efforts, but the chicanery LAL overcame was a bit more impressive. 
Christ, I have to sober up and watch these races. Lookin at Lee is the horse I saw zigzagging through traffic, not Sonneteer. I'm going to keep my eye on him as a live longshot if he finds a gate at CD. 

Arkansas Derby  - see Classic Empire's late charge, Lookin' At Lee's diving in and out like a wasp nest was on him, Sonneteer's roar in the stretch, Conquest Mo's true grit to hold second, the quizzical four wide early move by Smith on Untrapped, and Malagacy giving way to the eventual superfecta ...  

btw ... ya know whose stock has been rising while munching on oats and carrots? HENCE, that's who ... blew away Conquest Mo in the Sunland by four, with eventual Blue Grass winner IRAP  eight lengths back.  :thumbup:
That's exactly my take.  Hence is my sleeper.  I just watched each of the major Derby preps a few times and my opinion is starting to form.  There's only 1 horse who could win the Kentucky Derby in a romp.  Always Dreaming.  That Florida Derby was even better than looked.  AD actually checked going into the first turn when a horse was rank and he got shuffled a bit.  Still smoothly moved up and rated, then accelerated to blow away the field.  Been 1 1/8 miles twice.  Out of Bodemeister and looks like him.  Hard for me to see him out of the exacta. You can say that was a speed favoring track at Gulfstream.  Doesn't matter.  He rated perfectly.  Never tugged. Push button.   Irish War Cry, on the other hand, still seems to be on the bit.  He's fast with 2 Beyer's over 100 but I'm not confident he really wants to rate.  Rajiv had to really push him down the lane and although he won clear and I really like Graham Motion as a trainer I'm likely throwing him out.  He'll face better speed in this race. Classic Empire is a champion for sure.  I thought he got a pretty good trip in the Arkansas Derby saving ground (I didn't see the bad trip they were talking about) and then was still pretty all out to beat Conquest Mo, who was bumping with Malagacy and therefore staggering late.  Made his closing move look better than it really was, and others were closing with him.  I could be wrong.  He may move forward but I don't like coming back in 3 weeks.  He needed to run Saturday to even get in to the Derby.  That wasn't Casse's original plan.  They wanted longer than 3 weeks.  He'll try hard but I think he comes up empty down the lane. Just feels like a bounce waiting to happen.  So I'm tossing him and Irish War Cry.  2 horses that will take a lot of money.

I think Always Dreaming opens up turning for home and Hence is the only one making a big move at the end.  They'll be 2-3 lengths clear of the field.  Loved Hence's Sunland Derby win.  He'll still go off a decent price especially if they don't change jockeys.  Asmussen can get a horse to the Derby and he has one that is getting good at the right time and a pace that may just set up perfectly for him.  I'm probably going to make a pretty big win/place bet on Hence and a big exacta box bet with Always Dreaming.  I'll get a good price.  Just have to stick to my guns and throw out Irish War Cry and Classic Empire. I'm going to make myself re-read this before I go on Derby day so I don't talk myself out of it.  They all have to stay healthy, draw reasonably well, etc but that's how I see it right now.  I'm not going to go wild with tri's/supers as I don't have a great feel behind my top 2. Will play around on a few smaller tickets and key on those that can close a bit though.  There will be some pace in this race.  I'll be watching Mike Welsh's workout reports the next 2-3 weeks to see if any of these appear to be loving or hating the CD surface, though not all of 'em even do an official work at Churchill anymore.  

That's exactly my take.  Hence is my sleeper.  I just watched each of the major Derby preps a few times and my opinion is starting to form.  There's only 1 horse who could win the Kentucky Derby in a romp.  Always Dreaming.  That Florida Derby was even better than looked.  AD actually checked going into the first turn when a horse was rank and he got shuffled a bit.  Still smoothly moved up and rated, then accelerated to blow away the field.  Been 1 1/8 miles twice.  Out of Bodemeister and looks like him.  Hard for me to see him out of the exacta. You can say that was a speed favoring track at Gulfstream.  Doesn't matter.  He rated perfectly.  Never tugged. Push button.   Irish War Cry, on the other hand, still seems to be on the bit.  He's fast with 2 Beyer's over 100 but I'm not confident he really wants to rate.  Rajiv had to really push him down the lane and although he won clear and I really like Graham Motion as a trainer I'm likely throwing him out.  He'll face better speed in this race. Classic Empire is a champion for sure.  I thought he got a pretty good trip in the Arkansas Derby saving ground (I didn't see the bad trip they were talking about) and then was still pretty all out to beat Conquest Mo, who was bumping with Malagacy and therefore staggering late.  Made his closing move look better than it really was, and others were closing with him.  I could be wrong.  He may move forward but I don't like coming back in 3 weeks.  He needed to run Saturday to even get in to the Derby.  That wasn't Casse's original plan.  They wanted longer than 3 weeks.  He'll try hard but I think he comes up empty down the lane. Just feels like a bounce waiting to happen.  So I'm tossing him and Irish War Cry.  2 horses that will take a lot of money.

I think Always Dreaming opens up turning for home and Hence is the only one making a big move at the end.  They'll be 2-3 lengths clear of the field.  Loved Hence's Sunland Derby win.  He'll still go off a decent price especially if they don't change jockeys.  Asmussen can get a horse to the Derby and he has one that is getting good at the right time and a pace that may just set up perfectly for him.  I'm probably going to make a pretty big win/place bet on Hence and a big exacta box bet with Always Dreaming.  I'll get a good price.  Just have to stick to my guns and throw out Irish War Cry and Classic Empire. I'm going to make myself re-read this before I go on Derby day so I don't talk myself out of it.  They all have to stay healthy, draw reasonably well, etc but that's how I see it right now.  I'm not going to go wild with tri's/supers as I don't have a great feel behind my top 2. Will play around on a few smaller tickets and key on those that can close a bit though.  There will be some pace in this race.  I'll be watching Mike Welsh's workout reports the next 2-3 weeks to see if any of these appear to be loving or hating the CD surface, though not all of 'em even do an official work at Churchill anymore.  

case against AD ... outside of Gunnevera (who mailed it the hell in), that was not exactly a stacked field. 

THREE RULES and STATE OF HONOR are nice horses, but definitely a lower tier for this crop.  there was a speed bias that day, and AD certainly benefited ... it was an  eye-popping win, and one which will garner him second favorite status, imo (behind CE). 

hard to counter your points, but devil's advocate here ... still not totally sold on this one - Bodemeister looked like he was running away with the Derby, until I'll Have Another clipped him in the stretch, then followed it in the Preakness (even at better distance for Bode, as well).

IWC, Gunny, McCracken, Tapwrit, CE ... all have battled in the top flight company this season - AD's first stakes race was the Florida Derby, prior start to that was a sluggish allowance.  certainly not a reason to toss him, but certainly a reason to view him with some trepidation ... still, horse hasn't done anything wrong thus far, has answered every question, and has looked great at the two turn stretch.

HENCE will take the 'wiseguy' money, that's for sure, and deservedly so ... can see him going off at post time in the 12/15-1 range.  

in building my exotic ticket, i will be looking for a mid-double digit type to key, a horse who i think can clunk up for place/show dough, and, if things break right, can score the win - i'll definitely be getting a nice one in Gunny or Girvin or Tap or Irap or Practical Joke (all of them will be on my tix, regardless, just gotta settle on that "key" anchor) .... maybe even Lookin' At Lee, who needs some defections to hit the gate.  will need to trim some meat off the top, so that means any combo of  AD, CE, 'Crack, Hence will be tossed  ... would rather load up on the longer horses, hoping for a score. 

an awful lot can happen in the next few weeks, works and post draw will be the biggest factors - 

ETA: would advise against tossing IWC - i've been over and over these preps, and i rate his score in the Holy Bull as the best of the bunch (strong field, drew away).  bounced like a claimer in the F.O.Y., but rebounded perfectly in the Wood - i believe he is an absolute must use - Motion has a few weeks here to get this one ready, and i think he's sitting on a big one.  

the final points standing ... buzz is that the #20 horse, CLOUD COMPUTING, is gonna skip ... would open the door for UNTRAPPED, but, i think the other Asmussen colt, LOOKIN' AT LEE (who is right behind), is hitting stride better at this time.

here are up to date Brisnet PPs  for all eligible horses within striking distance of the KD starting gate.

starting to warm up to Practical Joke as the horse who has yet to run his best race in this mediocre field, but i get a strong sense that the Derby winner will come from the cluster#### of pace that was the Blue Grass

Users who are viewing this thread