What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Sebowski said:
Native said:
Nemanja Matic ran 7.6 miles during yesterday's match with Newcastle, more than any other player in the league. Now by itself the stat doesnt neceessarilly mean anything, but when you watch him play and witness his impact on the game, the data reinforces how his play has been vital to the team's recent success. Hes so much more active than Mikel tracking the ball and is not afraid to march forward either.
Can you believe a club practically gave him away just a few years ago? That club must be kicking itself in the nuts!
Giving him away was dumb, but buying him back was smart. At least Chelsea didn't compound a dumb thing by doing another dumb thing.

Sebowski said:
Native said:
Nemanja Matic ran 7.6 miles during yesterday's match with Newcastle, more than any other player in the league. Now by itself the stat doesnt neceessarilly mean anything, but when you watch him play and witness his impact on the game, the data reinforces how his play has been vital to the team's recent success. Hes so much more active than Mikel tracking the ball and is not afraid to march forward either.
Can you believe a club practically gave him away just a few years ago? That club must be kicking itself in the nuts!
Giving him away was dumb, but buying him back was smart. At least Chelsea didn't compound a dumb thing by doing another dumb thing.
Now do you think Man Utd will go buy Pogba?

Guinness International Champions Cup announces teams, sites for 2014 event

A number of the world's largest clubs will be touring the United States this summer as part of the 2014 Guinness International Champions Cup, the organization announced Tuesday at a news conference in Miami.

Both Manchester United and Manchester City will take part in the preseason tournament, as will their English Premier League rival Liverpool. Both big clubs from Milan also are in the field, with Inter and AC Milan also joined by American-owned Roma. Spanish giant Real Madrid and the largest club in Greece, Olympiacos round out the field.

Matches will take place in Phoenix, Denver, Washington D.C., Charlotte, N.C., Dallas, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago, New York/New Jersey and two additional venues with the final being hosted by Sun Life Stadium in Miami.

The teams will be split into two groups and will each play three matches before the group winners move onto the final stage.

Real Madrid, AC Milan and Inter took part in last year's event with Real Madrid winning the championship at Sun Life Stadium with a 3-1 win against Chelsea thanks to a brace from Ronaldo and a goal from Marcelo.

:excited:
Tickets for the final went on sale today, but I haven't heard anything about the other matches. Anybody heard anything?
I signed up for the presale and just got a note indicating that "Full schedule and venues announced on Feb. 20!" so I'd guess we will not know the sales timing until then. Will keep you posted.

Moyes crying, Chicarito leaving cryptic Instagram messages, and the Fulham manager calling ManU's tactics "straighforward". Just another typical ManU day.

Seriously, they're either going to have to totally overhaul that team to get Moyes "guys" or get rid of him. Probably need to do both at this point.

Moyes crying, Chicarito leaving cryptic Instagram messages, and the Fulham manager calling ManU's tactics "straighforward". Just another typical ManU day.

Seriously, they're either going to have to totally overhaul that team to get Moyes "guys" or get rid of him. Probably need to do both at this point.
They need to completely overhaul the back half of the lineup but no point in blowing up the attacking core that is pretty strong.

They need to completely overhaul the back half of the lineup but no point in blowing up the attacking core that is pretty strong.
Meh. There are 4 untouchables in Mata, Rooney, Van Persie, and the kid, I guess. Everyone else is fair game. If Moyes really wants a crossing game, I guess those 4 work (though there are others I'd rather have), but the other 6 on the field don't support that (I guess maybe Raphael does, but that's debatable). Width was never their strong suit under SAF and if Moyes truly has them playing that way now, there's really a chasm between what these guys have done in the past and what they are "trying" to do now.

It does start at the back, but Carrick, Fletcher, Young, Evra these days aren't the midfielders or wing backs to pull off these tactics on a consistent basis. These are guys used to going up the middle of the field or cutting in not setting up the formation for crosses.

Meh. There are 4 untouchables in Mata, Rooney, Van Persie, and the kid, I guess. Everyone else is fair game. If Moyes really wants a crossing game, I guess those 4 work (though there are others I'd rather have), but the other 6 on the field don't support that (I guess maybe Raphael does, but that's debatable). Width was never their strong suit under SAF and if Moyes truly has them playing that way now, there's really a chasm between what these guys have done in the past and what they are "trying" to do now. It does start at the back, but Carrick, Fletcher, Young, Evra these days aren't the midfielders or wing backs to pull off these tactics on a consistent basis. These are guys used to going up the middle of the field or cutting in not setting up the formation for crosses.
Carrick is a very unappreciated player. I see no reason why he couldn't fit into any future system. Fletcher was always very good as well, but his time away and illness seems to have taken a toll.

You're of course right, but assuming that this is a 2-3 year rebuild, by that point both Rooney and RVP will be past 30 (RVP already is), so the thought might be that you may as well transfer them sooner and get some money you can put back into the team rather than wait until they're worth a lot less.

Meh. There are 4 untouchables in Mata, Rooney, Van Persie, and the kid, I guess. Everyone else is fair game. If Moyes really wants a crossing game, I guess those 4 work (though there are others I'd rather have), but the other 6 on the field don't support that (I guess maybe Raphael does, but that's debatable). Width was never their strong suit under SAF and if Moyes truly has them playing that way now, there's really a chasm between what these guys have done in the past and what they are "trying" to do now.

It does start at the back, but Carrick, Fletcher, Young, Evra these days aren't the midfielders or wing backs to pull off these tactics on a consistent basis. These are guys used to going up the middle of the field or cutting in not setting up the formation for crosses.
Playing with width is hardly a new concept at United. I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Meh. There are 4 untouchables in Mata, Rooney, Van Persie, and the kid, I guess. Everyone else is fair game. If Moyes really wants a crossing game, I guess those 4 work (though there are others I'd rather have), but the other 6 on the field don't support that (I guess maybe Raphael does, but that's debatable). Width was never their strong suit under SAF and if Moyes truly has them playing that way now, there's really a chasm between what these guys have done in the past and what they are "trying" to do now. It does start at the back, but Carrick, Fletcher, Young, Evra these days aren't the midfielders or wing backs to pull off these tactics on a consistent basis. These are guys used to going up the middle of the field or cutting in not setting up the formation for crosses.
Carrick is a very unappreciated player. I see no reason why he couldn't fit into any future system. Fletcher was always very good as well, but his time away and illness seems to have taken a toll.
Big fan of Carrick, but he's 32 and going to be 33 before next season. He won't be a part of any future system imo. Same with Rooney and RVP(more on sammy's point) so they'll need more there, too.

Rafael was great last year, but has been hurt this season. So they need three at the back and three in midfield and this is before Rooney and RVP get old in which they'll need 8 just in the starting 11.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeGea is probably also untouchable. I'm not sure that Moyes wants to "play the crossing game" per se. It seems to me that he's having his AMs cross in part because he doesn't have fullbacks who can do it while still getting back to cover some immobile CBs. I think rejiggering the backline will do a lot for the attack because he'll be able to allow Mata and the kid to drift inside, which is their strength. I think he'd also prefer to leave Rooney higher than he's playing him now. He probably needs a lot more cover at CM to do that, because that system requires more than just tidy CMs like Carrick. It requires real workhorses.

If anything, I think SAF left him a team with too many natural wingers. Young, Vanecia, and even Nani are all somewhat one-dimensional wide players.

Native said:
Yaya Toure could miss 3 games via an FA review for kicking out at Van Wolfswinkel at the end of Saturday's game. He'd miss home games against Sunderland and Stoke, and an FA Cup tie against Chelsea.
Yikes. Couldnt come at a worse time either.
from BBC.. Yaya Toure: No FA action over 'kick' on Van Wolfswinkel
Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure will not face disciplinary action over an incident with Norwich City's Ricky van Wolfswinkel in Saturday's 0-0 draw.

Toure, 30, faced a three-match ban after appearing to kick the striker, but the Football Association said there is no case to answer.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho earlier said Toure should be suspended.

Analysis
_70963452_bensmith.jpg
Ben SmithBBC Sport
"The FA will be criticised for this decision but all they have done is listen to the recommendations of the three former elite referees who reviewed the footage.

"The same panel of referees are used for each incident and all three must answer 'yes' for the player to be charged.

"The system is designed to promote consistency but some may argue that on this occasion it has fallen short."

However, a panel of three ex-referees could not agree unanimously that he should be charged with violent conduct.

Well that's good for my fantasy team. Speaking of which, are any of you in the FBG EPL game and have the surname Scott? Leading the league? Good job, good job.

Remember one year ago when David Moyes and Jozy Altidore were both awesome? Ah, good times.

I agree with some of what you say here and I'm coming around to them needing more changes than I've proposed previously. However, I completely disagree with you about the bolded. United have always been known for making teams defend the entire pitch. I'd venture a guess that no team in the EPL comes all that close to # of crosses and goals generated off crosses in the last 5 or 10 years. I couldn't find specific stats but this shows some relevant data.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3389/Stages/6531/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

As for the bigger picture - I'm not sure yet what Moyes wants his style to be at United. At Everton his side always seemed like a very physical defense first team that would hit you on the counter. United has been all over the place. They've "dominated" a few games in terms of possession but can't score. Then they've had matches where they lost the possession stats to what most would consider inferior teams. They just look so disjointed and unsure. One thing I didn't consider is the players remaining after SAF left. What could they possibly think Moyes can teach them or offer them over SAF? Right or wrong it will be tough for the guys who have been on the team for a while to flourish under Moyes. Whether that says more about Moyes or the situation is the big question that Woodward and the Glazers will have to determine.

Dear MLS guys,

Which of the following players are not starters, or have little to no MLS fantasy value?

Leveron - Defender - Vancouver Whitecaps
Farrell - Defender - New England Revolution
Jean-Baptiste - Defender - Chivas USA
Tierney - Defender - New England Revolution
Mitchell - Defender - Vancouver Whitecaps
Wingert- Defender - Real Salt Lake
Cooper - Forward - Seattle Sounders FC
Lenhart - Forward - San Jose Earthquakes
Schoenfeld - Forward - Columbus Crew
Gordon - Forward San - Jose Earthquakes
Johnson - Goalkeeper - Chicago Fire
Blake - Goalkeeper - Philadelphia Union
Velasquez - Midfielder - Real Salt Lake
Alhassan - Midfielder - Portland Timbers
Ishizaki - Midfielder - Los Angeles Galaxy
Juninho - Midfielder - Los Angeles Galaxy
Maidana - Midfielder - Philadelphia Union
Nogueira - Midfielder - Philadelphia Union

TIA, Will answer yours.

Dear MLS guys,

Which of the following players are not starters, or have little to no MLS fantasy value?
Schoenfeld's the #4 forward for Columbus, at best, and not likely to see much playing time.

I also feel pretty confident in saying that whoever you had listed from Chivas USA is going to have a ####ty, ####ty season.

Dear MLS guys,

TIA, Will answer yours.
Lenhart, Gordon and Wondolowski probably all won't start for SJ. Wondo will be a starter but the other two are competing for the second slot. The other two will have value if Wondo makes the WC roster.

I think Noguerira has a chance to be very good but always be wary of new players to MLS. There is an adjustment period for many. He will get plenty if minutes though to prove himself.

Portland is a very good team and has a wealth of midfield talent. Alhassans minutes might be limited.

Which MLS fantasy game are you playing?

I assume with some of these names you are trying to fill out the back end of your roster? I have had better luck spending on big names, loading the bench with low cost no value players and using the transfers to fix problems in the starting lineups. That technique may not work in a WC year though.

Dear MLS guys,

I assume with some of these names you are trying to fill out the back end of your roster? I have had better luck spending on big names, loading the bench with low cost no value players and using the transfers to fix problems in the starting lineups. That technique may not work in a WC year though.
Thank you sir!

MLS.com... purely on a whim. I am hoping it will force me to pay more attention to the league ;)

Dear MLS guys,

Thank you sir!

MLS.com... purely on a whim. I am hoping it will force me to pay more attention to the league.
That is a very nice fantasy game. They improve more every year. I just added my roster a couple of days ago but I hate it so it will likely be revamped.

I also play this one which goes all the way back to the very beginning of the league. http://www.mfls.com/

Of the 8 games where Daniel Agger has started and gone 90, Liverpool has 5 clean sheets. In the 14 other games where he didn't play at all (he was subbed in or out in three other games), they have 2 clean sheets.

Similarly, in the first 10 games of West Ham's season where Winston Reid played every minute, the Hammers gave up 8 goals. Over the next 13 games when he was out with injury, they gave up 25 goals.

Of the 8 games where Daniel Agger has started and gone 90, Liverpool has 5 clean sheets. In the 14 other games where he didn't play at all (he was subbed in or out in three other games), they have 2 clean sheets.
Skrtel has been doing well and improving all season...but I'd like to see a CB pairing of Agger and Sakho. I think that would be Liverpool's best pairing.

Dear MLS guys,

TIA, Will answer yours.
I'll weigh in on the Union guys on the list.

Blake was the #1 pick in the SuperDraft. The Union held an open practice a couple weeks ago and I went over during my lunch break to check it out. He's a very talented shot stopper but still pretty raw. I would expect MacMath to continue to get the majority of starts at GK this year. So I'd steer clear of Blake for fantasy.

Maidana and Nogueira weren't with the team yet during the open practice, but those were two of their three heralded offseason signings, Maidana being a DP.

Expect Maidana as the regular left wing in a 4-3-3, or as a left mid in a 4-4-2 (you just never know with Coach Hackworth's #Hacktics). He should play often.

I'm excited about Nogueira the most out of all of the U's acquisitions. He's penciled in as the AM in the 4-3-3 in front of Carroll and Edu. But to Andy's point, there could be some MLS adjustment period for Nogueira (and Maidana), but both should see the field often.

CBusAlex said:
Jaysus said:
Dear MLS guys, Which of the following players are not starters, or have little to no MLS fantasy value?
Schoenfeld's the #4 forward for Columbus, at best, and not likely to see much playing time.I also feel pretty confident in saying that whoever you had listed from Chivas USA is going to have a ####ty, ####ty season.
How is Orlando City handling this last season before making the jump? Is it just business as usual or are they doing things differently to market themselves a little more before 2015?

NBCSN has picked up the Seattle vs Toronto game in March. This will be TFC's first game and Seattle's second.
Would have been really cool if the NBC mothership picked this up, but you take what you can get
Yeah but with out knowing their schedule yet, it may have been impossible.Looking closer the schedule appears to be in flux. NBCSN is showing the NY-Colo game at 4 and Sea-TFC at 4:30pm so something has to change. I assume the NY game will get bumped off the schedule.

Yeah, I don't have a ton of insight. I thought Farrell largely lived up to the hype as a rookie for the Revs. But I have no idea what that means for fantasy.

Juninho seemed to miss a lot of games last year, but I thought he was a pretty effective CM partner for Becks when they were together on the Galaxy.

Yeah, I don't have a ton of insight. I thought Farrell largely lived up to the hype as a rookie for the Revs. But I have no idea what that means for fantasy.

Juninho seemed to miss a lot of games last year, but I thought he was a pretty effective CM partner for Becks when they were together on the Galaxy.
Farrell was very good for my Revs but he never scored and had only one assist all season which is obviously bad for a wing back in fantasy. These numbers belie his foot skills which are very good.

There is some talk that he may be switched inside to center back this season.

Juninho had a full season last year starting 32 league games which tied for the most he has started. His offensive numbers were down, mostly in goals which dropped from a very solid 7 to just one.

Eric Lichaj has been hurt for a while but Nottingham thought/hoped it was just a simple groin injury. They now fear he may have a hernia. Awaiting test results.

This upcoming Ukraine game should be fascinating :)

46 crosses to 1. I've said it before but Moyes is cursed. Or maybe SAF's deal with the (Red) Devil has been paid off.
This is a big part of the problem. Crosses are are a terribly inefficient method of attacking.
Not when Januzaj is sending them in. What a player.
I'm not the most educated viewer, but I think he'll be a top 10 player in the world within 3 years. He's awesome.

They said earlier in the broadcast that he's leaning towards England over Belgium. Seems like he could make either squad for Brazil right now.
He is a special talent for sure.
Sterling is better.
:goodposting: The overrating of Januzaj is mind boggling. Kid's a pretty nice player, looks alot better than he is due to the talent deficit (outside of roon/RVP/mata) at ManU.

46 crosses to 1. I've said it before but Moyes is cursed. Or maybe SAF's deal with the (Red) Devil has been paid off.
This is a big part of the problem. Crosses are are a terribly inefficient method of attacking.
I'm not the most educated viewer, but I think he'll be a top 10 player in the world within 3 years. He's awesome.

They said earlier in the broadcast that he's leaning towards England over Belgium. Seems like he could make either squad for Brazil right now.
Sterling is better.
:goodposting: The overrating of Januzaj is mind boggling. Kid's a pretty nice player, looks alot better than he is due to the talent deficit (outside of roon/RVP/mata) at ManU.
I think he was kidding.

Sterling is better.
I think he was kidding.
which one? Januzaj being a top 10 player in the world or Sterling being better?

Sterling is better.
I think he was kidding.
which one? Januzaj being a top 10 player in the world or Sterling being better?
Sterling being better.

Users who are viewing this thread