What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

PPD helps City in that they need to get healthy (esp. Fernandinho and Aguero), but it only hurts in terms of fixture congestion. They already have one Prem game that needs to be rescheduled because of the C1C final against Sunderland, they have an FA Cup home game against Chelsea that Mou will likely be trying to grind into a draw, and then potential CL games if they get past Barca. Not many spots left on the calendar.

Yikes, it looks even worse in print :(

Going into Wednesday’s match with Liverpool, Dempsey has two more chances to play for Fulham. As of now, Dempsey has made six appearances out of the possible 10 logging 475 minutes of 930 total or 51 percent — a number that would place him seventh among Fulham outfield players during the loan period. Dempsey also has no goals nor assists and only one shot on target in those appearances.

DFB Pokal Quarterfinals are this week.

2/11 Borussia Dortmund at Eintracht Frankfurt

2/12 VfL Wolfsburg at 1899 Hoffenheim

2/12 1. FC Kaiserslautern at Bayer Leverkusen

2/12 Bayern München at Hamburger SV
Dortmund over Frankfurt 1-0Wolfsburg over Hoffenheim 3-2

Kaiserslautern over Leverkusen 1-0

Bayern over Hamburger 5-0

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he's been crap for the past year and a half
I do wonder if he has fallen off the proverbial cliff, and how that impacts his WC roster chances. I think he is on shaky ground right now and needs a big start to the MLS season.
I don't think it is possible to feel worse about Jozy and Dempsey right now. :( One of them has to wake up before the WC.
I'm starting to think Dempsey is completely kaput and that he's better than 50/50 to not be in Brazil

I do wonder if he has fallen off the proverbial cliff, and how that impacts his WC roster chances. I think he is on shaky ground right now and needs a big start to the MLS season.
I don't think it is possible to feel worse about Jozy and Dempsey right now. :( One of them has to wake up before the WC.
I'm starting to think Dempsey is completely kaput and that he's better than 50/50 to not be in Brazil
it is definitely going to be a point of interest as the MLS season starts.

The Euro field players are not looking that fit and/or in form right now outside of Bedoya, Cam and Ajo.

Hopefully the MLS contingent (Donovan, Bradley, Zusi, Gonzo, Besler, EJ, and a returning Dempsey), can all find their footings before the WC starts else this is going to be one quick first round looking at the quality of the other 3 teams.

Can any of you Liverpool fans give an update as to how Marc Pelosi is doing at the youth level? All I know is that he was recovering from a bad injury last year that caused him to miss the U20 WC and that he signed a new deal late last year but have not seen if he is back to playing at any level yet.

it is definitely going to be a point of interest as the MLS season starts.

The Euro field players are not looking that fit and/or in form right now outside of Bedoya, Cam and Ajo.

Hopefully the MLS contingent (Donovan, Bradley, Zusi, Gonzo, Besler, EJ, and a returning Dempsey), can all find their footings before the WC starts else this is going to be one quick first round looking at the quality of the other 3 teams.
They can all be on fire and it's still probably going to be a quick out.

Can any of you Liverpool fans give an update as to how Marc Pelosi is doing at the youth level? All I know is that he was recovering from a bad injury last year that caused him to miss the U20 WC and that he signed a new deal late last year but have not seen if he is back to playing at any level yet.
Haven't read much. I try to keep track of him on their forums and tweeter, but not much info still.

Haven't read much. I try to keep track of him on their forums and tweeter, but not much info still.
Yeah, I was under the impression that he wasn't back yet.

Yeah, I was under the impression that he wasn't back yet.
From what I read Pelosi had the screws taken out in September/October and was to be back in training around the end of '13.

I'll ask one of the guys over there that watches their youth setup to get a better update. Hopefully.

Mjolnirs said:
DFB Pokal Quarterfinals are this week.

2/11 Borussia Dortmund at Eintracht Frankfurt

2/12 VfL Wolfsburg at 1899 Hoffenheim

2/12 1. FC Kaiserslautern at Bayer Leverkusen

2/12 Bayern München at Hamburger SV
Dortmund over Frankfurt 1-0Wolfsburg over Hoffenheim 3-2

Kaiserslautern over Leverkusen 1-0

Bayern over Hamburger 5-0
Semi Finals (April 14th & 15th)

Wolfsburg at Dortmund

Kaiserslautern at Bayern

how does the EPL make up postponed games? I imagine they just try to reschedule before the end of the season, right? Is it as simple as that?

ESPN.com Poll today

David Beckham is reportedly considering naming his new MLS team the Miami Vice. What do you think?

After ~68k votes

Love it: 42%
Like it: 27%
Don't Like It: 16%
Hate It: 15%

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN.com Poll today

David Beckham is reportedly considering naming his new MLS team the Miami Vice. What do you think?

After ~35k votes

Love it. Nice to see him having some fun with it/doing something different and it fits the city.

ESPN.com Poll today

After ~35k votes

Love it. Nice to see him having some fun with it/doing something different and it fits the city.
And I thought he would do something stupid like Miami United Football Club
Miami United Football Federation

MUFF :bowtie:

how does the EPL make up postponed games? I imagine they just try to reschedule before the end of the season, right? Is it as simple as that?
I think they'll look for an open mid-week game time.
Yeah, I think both teams involved just try to work it out. Easier to do over there as everything's so close together.

City/Sunderland probably won't be rescheduled until after the FA Cup matches this weekend.

ESPN.com Poll today

After ~35k votes

And I thought he would do something stupid like Miami United Football Club
I think there are a few different names they are considering at this point. Vice got some traction in the press because it is causing some polar opinions and it is pretty different.

If I had to bet though, I wonder if he will go more traditional like the one you mentioned?

Also I am sure they are considering something Hispanic based considering the market down there.

This ESPN poll is a nice quick unscientific look at the how the sports fans in the country think about the Vice name, and even more importantly, the numbers in Florida are even more positive where 71% either love or like the name.

I hit a new low on FIFA today. While I, of course, already had Raheem Sterling on my Ultimate Team, I had to go home on lunch today to buy the Team of The Week Sterling with increased attributes. :nerd:

In no way am I kidding. Sterling is a better player. At least under Rodgers system.

Januzaj looks like he will turn decent. Who knows when you are playing under Moyse's tactics.

I declared Suarez as the best EPL player a year or two ago. Do you think I was kidding on that, too?
:lol: Some of you guys crack me up.
What makes Januzaj so much better?
I think he is technically better and has better vision. He's also had to shoulder a lot more given United's struggles.

If you think Sterling is better that's fine. They have had comparable seasons. I think Januzaj's skillset gives him a much higher ceiling.
Tremendous vision - probably the best set passer on that team outside of Mata.

But just way too slow (open field speed equivalent to someone like Carrick) and lead-footed to ever be considered inside the top 50 in the world, let alone top 10. The physical/athletic ability just isn't there.

He better hope for a chance to unseat Young on the English team, otherwise, he's got no chance to start over Mirallas/Mertens/Nainggolan/Chadli/Debruyne on the Belgiums.
Januzaj is likely quicker than Ribery and Robben and significantly quicker than Mata or Silva, each of whom have been named in the top 50 in the world (to say nothing of Iniesta, who has been named in the top 10).
Let's not start putting the kid in the same sentence as those fellas just yet. Especially Iniesta.

Back to the Sterling comparison, FIFA (the game) agrees with the sentiment here. Sterling is rated higher now (76/73), but kid has a much higher potential (84/89). Whatever that is worth...
Not sure if I am getting trolled here or what.... but to think Januzaj is in any way 'faster' (in any of the speed categories: dribble speed, movement burst, etc) than Ribery or Robben is :crazy: .

I am not sure we are even watching the same games....

I hit a new low on FIFA today. While I, of course, already had Raheem Sterling on my Ultimate Team, I had to go home on lunch today to buy the Team of The Week Sterling with increased attributes. :nerd:
Speaking of which, I think this is the best wing/midfield talent I've seen England have in a while.

Wilshire, Henderson, Milner, Barkley, Rooney (CAM) with Lamps and Gerrard in the midfield.

Great wingers: Walcott, Sterling, Zaha, Lennon.

Think they'll surprise in Brazil.

Top four predictions-

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal
bold.
I agree with The Gator.
I agree with Jaysus.
Injuries and their leaky defense will do 'Pool in. 5th place for them. I hope.
Guess you missed the part where Agger and Sakho are coming back. And where the team you want to squeak in there lost 5-0 to them. So, there's that.

Top four predictions-

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal
bold.
I agree with The Gator.
I agree with Jaysus.
Guess you missed the part where Agger and Sakho are coming back. And where the team you want to squeak in there lost 5-0 to them. So, there's that.
That was BTS. We don't count those. :D

Top four predictions-

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal
bold.
I agree with The Gator.
I agree with Jaysus.
Coutinho

Agger

Sakho

Lucas

Suarez

Gerrard

Sturridge

Johnson

Enrique

Allen

Have all missed a lot of games, they're just now getting back to full strength.

Yeah, Agger going down was a big reason why their defense has dipped. I would be willing to bet that they finish Top 3 at even money. I think they have the best attack in the Prem right now, and maybe even still when Aguero gets back.

Top four predictions-

City

Chelsea

Liverpool

Arsenal
2 of these will be out of the FA Cup after this weekend. I think everyone will play to win, but the losers get the silver lining of less distractions going forward. Arsenal probably only has two more games in Europe and LFC was never in, so both are in pretty good shape in terms of fixture congestion. Spurs are out of the FA cup but likely to advance at least one more round in Europe. Meanwhile, City are in four comps and now have a makeup game to schedule. This is where depth matters and a good manager really earns his keep. I always thought SAF's biggest strength was managing his roster over multiple competitions late in the season. Lots of excitement left at top and bottom.

Speaking of which, I think this is the best wing/midfield talent I've seen England have in a while.

Wilshire, Henderson, Milner, Barkley, Rooney (CAM) with Lamps and Gerrard in the midfield.

They're overrated, as usual.

:goodposting:

:goodposting:
I think they'll underwhelm, as usual... but in theory, Gerrard/Henderson behind Wilshere with Walcott and Rooney roaming around would be pretty dope. Who plays in front? Or does Rooney go up there with a Milner coming in as a more true flank guy (or Sterling/Lennon- but neither of them defend as well as Milner, IMO)?

Big fan of Barkley, but his games against top teams show his defnsive weaknesses- no way he gets on the field in the WC unless it's as a last minute roll of the dice to try to get a goal.

I kinda think Pool has more than a fighting chance of taking the Prem.
I'll start to believe it if they can get nine points from their next three games(Swans, Souton, Sunderland). Arsenal and City(also with a game in hand) have one tricky away game each(Stoke and Hull) while Chelsea have Everton and Spurs at home.

If Liverpool can narrow the gap at all during the next three, then it's game on. Arsenal then start a run of Spurs, Chelsea, City Everton. With Liverpool to play City and Chelsea at home and hopefully a 2-3 gap between the two... :football:

Users who are viewing this thread