What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

'Sebowski said:
'Bonzai said:
'Sebowski said:
'Spartans Rule said:
ETA: Also rumors of Thiago Silva to Barca for 25 million and Maxwell.
Expensive but probably a good move for Barca if they can pull it off, would set them up at CB for a long time. Milan's not really in a selling position so I doubt they let Silva go unless they feel they're getting great value.

Silva is a beast on the video game, I know that much.
xbox or PS3?
I can vouch for him being a beast on the 360.
:lmao: Was wondering if Spartans plays on xbox. Its getting too easy to beat you, and I need some competition. :boxing:
Fightin' words. Game tonight?
Still at work. I'll probably be home past your bedtime. I'll look for you though. ETA: 2-4hrs...

Not to keep being all Barca-y, but I think Messi's goal has been given a little bit of short shrift. Even the American play-by-play announcers said that it wasn't one of his best goals. But I think what's been forgotten is that Vidic, while positioned poorly, was blocking the path to the corner. If he shoots outside of Vidic, it's a goal kick (see :40-:42). If he shoots to the other side whee VDS is leaning, it's gobbled up easily. Rocketing a shot past Vidic's right leg, against the way VDS was leaning was really the only play, and he had a fairly small window to fit it in to.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1jSrC-2uaY
Messi was -6 years old for that Minor Threat concert.The goal was awesome though. Bends it like a free kick a little to get back. VDS said after the game that Messi normally goes far post from there and thought he was positioned well.

Not to keep being all Barca-y, but I think Messi's goal has been given a little bit of short shrift. Even the American play-by-play announcers said that it wasn't one of his best goals. But I think what's been forgotten is that Vidic, while positioned poorly, was blocking the path to the corner. If he shoots outside of Vidic, it's a goal kick (see :40-:42). If he shoots to the other side whee VDS is leaning, it's gobbled up easily. Rocketing a shot past Vidic's right leg, against the way VDS was leaning was really the only play, and he had a fairly small window to fit it in to.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1jSrC-2uaY
Messi was -6 years old for that Minor Threat concert.The goal was awesome though. Bends it like a free kick a little to get back. VDS said after the game that Messi normally goes far post from there and thought he was positioned well.
You're off by a decade. *I* was six during that Minor Threat concert. :lmao:

Rossi started for Italy today and has a goal in the 21st minute.

Still makes me throw up in my mouth a bit seeing how good he could have been for the US

Rossi started for Italy today and has a goal in the 21st minute. Still makes me throw up in my mouth a bit seeing how good he could have been for the US
I get it. I do. I would love to see him play for the USMNT too, but I just don't have the hate most do for him. I get that he grew up with his dad a die hard Italian fan and always dreamed of playing for them. He moved to Italy to train to be a pro when he was 12. 12!I'm over it.

Rossi started for Italy today and has a goal in the 21st minute. Still makes me throw up in my mouth a bit seeing how good he could have been for the US
I get it. I do. I would love to see him play for the USMNT too, but I just don't have the hate most do for him. I get that he grew up with his dad a die hard Italian fan and always dreamed of playing for them. He moved to Italy to train to be a pro when he was 12. 12!I'm over it.
I can't say for others but I in no way, shape or form hate him or wish him ill will. That being said nothing is going to remove the disappointment of not seeing him as a striker for the US for a decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm coaching my son's U6 team in a 5v5 tournament this morning. Should be interesting. Four teams, round robin. Top two teams after 3 games play each other for championship. I have a few 6 year old ringers and I think we can take this thing! Kids are pumped to win the trophy....

12 minute halves of swarm. May the team that can make one pass win!

Will report back.

Anyone watching England/Switzerland? Tranquilo Barnetta (seems like he's been around since forever) with back-to-back free kick goals in a span of like 3 minutes, and then Djourou brings down Wilshere in the box for a PK, which Lampard converts. From 0-0 to 2-1 over 6 minutes.

Anyone watching England/Switzerland? Tranquilo Barnetta (seems like he's been around since forever) with back-to-back free kick goals in a span of like 3 minutes, and then Djourou brings down Wilshere in the box for a PK, which Lampard converts. From 0-0 to 2-1 over 6 minutes.
great action...looking forward to the second halfThe 2nd goal from the Swiss was the result of a blatant wall errorEngland is not having too much trouble with the Swiss defense so I suspect they score an equalizer at the very least.

US lineup, per Ives:

USA starting XI: Howard; Spector, Onyewu, Ream, Lichaj; Kljestan, Jones, Edu, Rogers; Agudelo, Altidore

Tim Howard with the captain's armband.....

On the bench for USA: Hahnemann, Cherundolo, Goodson, Dempsey, Bradley, Bedoya and Wondolowski

Is this a serious lineup? :mellow:

eta - Dempsey, not Bornstein...they just corrected it.

Ream and Lichaj together in the back...trial by fire, I guess. Hope Spector wows me, but I haven't seen it from him yet.

Rogers and Kljestan both in the starting lineup? I guess this means Kljestan will be on the wing opposite Rogers?

This could be ugly.

kljestan? unreal.
Not only has it been awhile since I've really seen him get meaningful minutes for the USMNT, I can't remember the last time I saw him on the wing....I've always though he's better suited to an attacking CM role. Should be interesting, I guess.I've always been a Kljestan fan going back years, but he's looked like #### for the USMNT for awhile now...

kljestan? unreal.
Not only has it been awhile since I've really seen him get meaningful minutes for the USMNT, I can't remember the last time I saw him on the wing....I've always though he's better suited to an attacking CM role. Should be interesting, I guess.I've always been a Kljestan fan going back years, but he's looked like #### for the USMNT for awhile now...
Not a fan at all. Even though spain is missing both of the midfield midgets, i think this one gets ugly.

Honestly, this just feels to me like the US is taking it lightly ahead of the Gold Cup this week, especially in the midfield. Can't say I really blame em :shrug:

Honestly, this just feels to me like the US is taking it lightly ahead of the Gold Cup this week, especially in the midfield. Can't say I really blame em :shrug:
What's the point of even scheduling this game if you aren't gonna put your A-team out there?Having some backups get pasted by Spain seems counter-productive to me.edit: It is mostly our starters, but if you don't have your best midfield out there against this team, you might as well have sent ALL your backups. We're never gonna have the ball.

What's the point of even scheduling this game if you aren't gonna put your A-team out there?Having some backups get pasted by Spain seems counter-productive to me.
I guess it's not that weak a lineup, I'm just baffled by Kljestan and Rogers starting on the wings. This should be valuable experience for Ream and Lichaj, and I guess it'll show us a bit more about Spector. The strikers are as you'd expect. You look at the MFs that aren't in the lineup today, though, and it just kinda makes you wonder...Donovan (sick), Dempsey (bench, expected to see some time), and Bradley all on the bench in favor of Kljestan and Rogers??JMO

Users who are viewing this thread