What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2010 Thread (1 Viewer)

I know most are pulling for a CB, which I would be fine with, in round 2 and others are angling for wideout, which I assume would be Benn since they seem to have a chubby for him, but I have to admit that what I want to happen is........a trade up for Cody.Get in front of that giant knot of other 3-4 teams, Kevin, and nail down BOTH 'pivots' for the forseeable. A Pouncey/Cody round1-round 2 would make this a pretty great draft regardless of what happened after it.Basically a pipe dream though if they can't deal up. Too many 3-4 teams between them and their next pick.Going best available CB/WR/OLB in round 2 with a trade up in 3 to grab, say, Troup would be a-okay with me as well.
Scouts, Inc has a round 2 mock up that was done after the first round completed and they have Cody going #50 overall to KC, 2 spots before the Steelers pick. They could probably leapfrog to the 49 spot by simply trading 1 of their 2 5th round picks.
By the way, this same mock has the Steelers sitting tight and drafting Tate at #52.

Look at the rest of the 2nd round as they mocked it..

21 (53) New England Patriots Koa Misi OLB Utah

22 (54) Cincinnati Bengals Brandon Spikes ILB Florida

23 (55) Philadelphia Eagles Jerome Murphy CB South Florida

24 (56) Green Bay Packers Dexter McCluster RB Mississippi

25 (57) Baltimore Ravens Taylor Price WR Ohio

26 (58) Arizona Cardinals Rob Gronkowski TE Arizona

27 (59) Dallas Cowboys Al Woods DT LSU

28 (60) Seattle Seahawks(from SDG) Carlos Dunlap DE Florida

29 (61) New York Jets John Jerry OG Mississippi

30 (62) Minnesota Vikings Daryl Washington OLB TCU

31 (63) Indianapolis Colts Edwin Veldheer OT Hillsdale

32 (64) New Orleans Saints Navorro Bowman OLB Penn State

I could see Pitt being interested in almost every one of those players - save for maybe McCluster and Price. I wouldn't be stunned to see them trade the 2 fifths to move up 12 spots in round 3 and take one of these guys that falls.

Move from 52 to 41 in round 2
Thats the 9th pick today.Im all over it.if one of the OTs graded well (Rodger Saffold, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown) and are stil there.I'd love Golden Tate in that move, but the OT is a bigger need.... otherwise I'd rather sit where we are in the 2nd and potentially move up the third rounder. But then again, I could handle seeing us use all the picks. 10 of them, with some of them being multiple "shots" at the same position. Like CB.
I'd rather hold on to the 4th and just move the two fifths and go up to #46 instead of #41 if there's a player they really like but are afraid they'll lose between 46 and 51.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I live the idea of trading the 2 fifths to move up from 82 to 70 in round 3, staying put in round 2, and holding onto our fourth.

Scouts, Inc has a round 2 mock up that was done after the first round completed and they have Cody going #50 overall to KC, 2 spots before the Steelers pick. They could probably leapfrog to the 49 spot by simply trading 1 of their 2 5th round picks.
I'd be more inclined for them to get in front of at least Denver at #45. Obviously, McDaniels is out to prove he's a 'super genius' and will probably take another blocking TE after a trade down, but that team has virtually nobody that can play on the nose. Same could almost be said for Miami at #40. Ferguson's suspended(and old). They already selected Odrick, so a second DL is less likely, I suppose, but the need is there. NE has a couple picks before Pittsburgh's as well. Cleveland too. Like I said earlier, I think the chances of Cody falling too far are pretty slim. I can see him lasting until 45-ish, but not much longer.I think they're going to address DL a couple times this draft, regardless of round. Colbert/Tomlin have talked up the depth of big men that fit their flavor of the 3-4 more than a few times this past few months. Clearly, that unit is aging so it would make sense. A noseguard in 2 or 3 and another developmental DE type with one of those 5th round comps would probably do the trick.As to LB, I think they need to worry about OLB more than ILB at this stage. At least for this year. If Woodley or Harrison go down, they are currently BONED, depth chart-wise. I could see them addressing that with one of the next two picks easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be more inclined for them to get in front of at least Denver at #45. Obviously, McDaniels is out to prove he's a 'super genius' and will probably take another blocking TE after a trade down, but that team has virtually nobody that can play on the nose. Same could almost be said for Miami at #40. Ferguson's suspended(and old). They already selected Odrick, so a second DL is less likely, I suppose, but the need is there. NE has a couple picks before Pittsburgh's as well. Cleveland too. Like I said earlier, I think the chances of Cody falling too far are pretty slim. I can see him lasting until 45-ish, but not much longer.I think they're going to address DL a couple times this draft, regardless of round. Colbert/Tomlin have talked up the depth of big men that fit their flavor of the 3-4 more than a few times this past few months. Clearly, that unit is aging so it would make sense. A noseguard in 2 or 3 and another developmental DE type with one of those 5th round comps would probably do the trick.As to LB, I think they need to worry about OLB more than ILB at this stage. At least for this year. If Woodley or Harrison go down, they are currently BONED, depth chart-wise. I could see them addressing that with one of the next two picks easily.
I think OLB is as high a priority for them as ILB as well. The amount of guys they brought in at that position tells the tale. Prisco's second round mock has Cody going #43 to Baltimore, so they may not be able to get up high enough to draft him without sacrificing their 3rd or 4th rounders. That mock has them taking Ghee at #52, with Tate still on the board.

Love the pick last night, but I keep hearing Sean Lee mgiht be their target in round 2 ? I'm a PSU fan, but I'm not crazy about this pick if it happens...

Big Ben then I say forget it and accept 2010 as another 9-7 or worse season
Unless Dennis Dixon is proves to be a baller.
I don't know why we have to settle for 9-7. Those first 4 games are winnable, IF we have the defense from 2 years ago, and not from last year. With Troy and Aaron back, why not? A stingy defense, a good running game, and we can pull those out. Then when Ben returns, the Steelers are one of the leagues' elite teams. I know I'm myopic, but why not?

I also think Pouncey's going to be an instant fan favorite, sort of a cross between Flavor Flav and Justin Strzelczyk. Hugging up on that big heiffer, who I'm still not clear whether it was his mom or his woman...kissing his brother on the lips...letting that huge medallion swing around like he's a rap star while he jumps up and down in front of the synthetic wood paneling of what was clearly a trailer of some sort...guy not only brings it on the field, but seems like a genuinely infectious personality.

Looking forward to hearing more about the dude. Redneck hiphop up in the house, n'at.

Not seeing anyone mention Rodger Saffold, the OT from Indiana. I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers grab him in the 3rd round.

Move from 52 to 41 in round 2
Thats the 9th pick today.Im all over it.if one of the OTs graded well (Rodger Saffold, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown) and are stil there.I'd love Golden Tate in that move, but the OT is a bigger need.... otherwise I'd rather sit where we are in the 2nd and potentially move up the third rounder. But then again, I could handle seeing us use all the picks. 10 of them, with some of them being multiple "shots" at the same position. Like CB.
I'd rather hold on to the 4th and just move the two fifths and go up to #46 instead of #41 if there's a player they really like but are afraid they'll lose between 46 and 51.
But you know if one of those OTs graded out well enough for the Steelers to pay the price needed to move up to #41, in a draft that they admit is very deep, we would be in hog heaven. We would be all aglow like peacocks showing off their feathers. And we would still have picks to come.
True, but trading the 2nd, 4th, and 2 5ths to move up that high means they get their guy at #41, but then have only picks 82, 164, and 166 in the next 3 rounds, rather than 82, 116, 151, 155, 164, and 166 (in addition to #52.)Personally, I like the looks of 52, 70, 116, 164 and 166 best.

Love the pick last night, but I keep hearing Sean Lee mgiht be their target in round 2 ? I'm a PSU fan, but I'm not crazy about this pick if it happens...
Not seeing anyone mention Rodger Saffold, the OT from Indiana. I wouldn't mind seeing the Steelers grab him in the 3rd round.
Most mocks I've seen have both of those guys going in the first 5-10 picks of round 2. Unless the Steelers mortgage the rest of their draft, I can't imagine either guy in black & gold next year.

I also think Pouncey's going to be an instant fan favorite, sort of a cross between Flavor Flav and Justin Strzelczyk. Hugging up on that big heiffer, who I'm still not clear whether it was his mom or his woman...kissing his brother on the lips...letting that huge medallion swing around like he's a rap star while he jumps up and down in front of the synthetic wood paneling of what was clearly a trailer of some sort...guy not only brings it on the field, but seems like a genuinely infectious personality.Looking forward to hearing more about the dude. Redneck hiphop up in the house, n'at.
From everything that I hear, he is a very good guy. He was the harder worker b/w he and his twin brother Mike. Great teammate and the guy who Tebow always looked for...that says something.

Most mocks I've seen have both of those guys going in the first 5-10 picks of round 2. Unless the Steelers mortgage the rest of their draft, I can't imagine either guy in black & gold next year.
Thanks EG, Not that I don't like Lee, we have other issues IMO.

I'd be very happy with Ghee, Tate, C.Brown, Saffold, or maybe even Campbell. Cody would be fine with me too. Most of these will probably be gone by the Steelers pick and I'm not sure I want them trading up yet. Trading into the third is the better plan. I would be less fine with Benn if Tate or Ghee or the Tackles were still available.

I think OLB is as high a priority for them as ILB as well.
Was under the impression that they liked Patrick Bailey.
Bailey is a good special teams guy but I really haven't seen that much from him at ILB.
Because he is slotted at OLB? (Which is what I was referring to, EG discussing OLB as a priority, when we have starting troubles at ILB)
That is why I was confused -- I thought you were talking about Baily inside and thought I was missing something. I think Foote gives them the depth they were severaly lacking inside but really they need more depth at both ILB & OLB.

I also think Pouncey's going to be an instant fan favorite, sort of a cross between Flavor Flav and Justin Strzelczyk. Hugging up on that big heiffer, who I'm still not clear whether it was his mom or his woman...kissing his brother on the lips...letting that huge medallion swing around like he's a rap star while he jumps up and down in front of the synthetic wood paneling of what was clearly a trailer of some sort...guy not only brings it on the field, but seems like a genuinely infectious personality.Looking forward to hearing more about the dude. Redneck hiphop up in the house, n'at.
That was his mom. The medallion reportedly says 'M.O.B. Est 1989." It stands for 'Man of Business', apparently. Whatever that means. :bag:I'm an avowed Gator hater and will continue to be so. I think I've made that pretty clear 'round these parts.....and I can't not like the Pouncey twins. Both are the goods on the field. As to 'off the field stuff', they're both pretty solid if the local rags here are to be believed. Hard to find much not to like, as far as football players go.Actually, I think I'm already going to start hoping they can pull off getting his brother next year just so they can have that crazy 'twin language' goin' on for the offensive line. ;) They won't even need to make line calls out loud anymore, they can just communicate via telepathy, or whatever.I think some people are kind of 'downgrading' Pouncey's toughness a little bit. I've seen a few places, not here necessarily, where some are bemoaning missing out on Iupati because he's 'meaner.' Make no mistake, Pouncey has an edge to him too. Pouncey is clearly the best interior prospect in this class to me. I couldn't be happier that San Fran took the Samoan kid out of the equation, because I really don't think he's going to be as good as Pouncey is.

My guess for round 2 is one of:

Cory Wooton/Chris Cook/Sean Lee/Major Wright

Top it off with Emmanuel Sanders in Round 3 or 4 and I'm happy.

Would be smart for Pitt to trade some of their remaining picks for better spots in next years draft because there is a solid chance there will be a rookie wage scale in place then?

Would be smart for Pitt to trade some of their remaining picks for better spots in next years draft because there is a solid chance there will be a rookie wage scale in place then?
Unlikely they could swing a decent 1st round pick, and the salaries for 2nd round + are already pretty low. I wouldn't think this would be a good idea.

Unlikely they could swing a decent 1st round pick, and the salaries for 2nd round + are already pretty low. I wouldn't think this would be a good idea.
Thsi draft class is considered pretty deep too. I am not sure what next year's draft will be like -- is it supposed to be deep as well?

I don't see anyone giving up future #1s with the cap likely coming, and the Steelers 2nd rounder is too late to likely warrant one.

How about this scenario...

Steelers trade their 2nd rounder (#52) and 6th rounder (#188) to Cleveland for their two third rounders (#71 and #85.)

Then, Steelers trade their 4th and 2 non-comp fifths (#116, #151, and #155) to Indy for their 3rd rounder (#94.)

Of course it takes two to tango, but the pick values match up on the chart. End result :

Instead of having a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4 5ths, a 6th and a 7th.. we now have no 2nd, 4 3rd rounders, no 4th, 2 fifths, no 6th, and a 7th. Using draft simulators, available (and likely to be drafted by PIT) players that would be changed are (trying to match positions for easier comparison):

Staying put : Golden Tate (WR) in the 2nd, Brandon Spikes (ILB) in the 3rd, Walter Thurmond (CB) in the 4th, LeGarrette Blount (RB), Clifton Geathers (DE), George Selvie (OLB), Sam Young (OT) in the 5th, Nate Byham (TE) in the 6th and Sam Shields (CB) in the 7th.

Making the deals : Damian Williams (WR), Brandon Spikes (ILB), Amari Spievey (CB), Joe McKnight (RB) in the 3rd, Clifton Geathers (DE), George Selvie (OLB) in the 5th, and Matt Kopa (OT) in the 7th.

They'd take a hit in quality at WR, get no TE, get a lower-upside guy at OT. That's the downside. Upside is, they'd get a pretty solid upgrade at CB and RB.

Oh, and Evilgrin: we don't want Joe McKnight. Not in the 3rd. Not in the 5th. Not at all. I watched him plenty; he's Reggie Bush except without as many moves or speed. Doesn't like to run between the tackles, doesn't hold on to the ball well. I wouldn't touch him.

Oh, and Evilgrin: we don't want Joe McKnight. Not in the 3rd. Not in the 5th. Not at all. I watched him plenty; he's Reggie Bush except without as many moves or speed. Doesn't like to run between the tackles, doesn't hold on to the ball well. I wouldn't touch him.
I just went with the highest rated prospect at each position, dropping in guys they brought in for interviews when applicable.

5-ish Finkle said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
Same could almost be said for Miami at #40. Ferguson's suspended(and old). They already selected Odrick, so a second DL is less likely, I suppose, but the need is there. NE has a couple picks before Pittsburgh's as well. Cleveland too. Like I said earlier, I think the chances of Cody falling too far are pretty slim. I can see him lasting until 45-ish, but not much longer.I think they're going to address DL a couple times this draft, regardless of round. Colbert/Tomlin have talked up the depth of big men that fit their flavor of the 3-4 more than a few times this past few months. Clearly, that unit is aging so it would make sense. A noseguard in 2 or 3 and another developmental DE type with one of those 5th round comps would probably do the trick.As to LB, I think they need to worry about OLB more than ILB at this stage. At least for this year. If Woodley or Harrison go down, they are currently BONED, depth chart-wise. I could see them addressing that with one of the next two picks easily.
Personally, I don't want any part of Cody. I think he eats himself out of the league... no doubts about it.The NT I would like to see in Linval Joseph. He won't make it to #82, so the 3rd RD trade up might do it (he could very well be gone in the second).6-5 328 (34 inch arms) 5.0-40 4.7-ss 30.0-VJ 8-BJ 39-Bench (Explosion = 77.0 - VJ+BJ+Bench)And as to OLB, Misi is a RD2 prospect, but we have our starters. I think the late RD picks (5-7) can net 1-2 OLB prospects. Names to watch: Daniel Te'o-Nesheim (RD 5) Moats (RD 6) Danny Batten (RD7)

The more I thought about it yesterday, I wanted a DB (Thomas, Jackson, or Wilson in that order) instead of OL pick in the 1st, but I cant knock taking Pouncey. I think it might be a blessing in disguise that Iupati was gone.

One question though: did they bring Bulaga in for a workout or anything? I never expected him to be available at 18, and Im not sure the Steelers did either. Everyone had them going Pouncey/Iupati, so Im just wondering when their pick came up if they liked Pouncey that much, or didnt know enough about Bulaga because they didnt expect to get him and thus didnt do enough research on him

The more I thought about it yesterday, I wanted a DB (Thomas, Jackson, or Wilson in that order) instead of OL pick in the 1st, but I cant knock taking Pouncey. I think it might be a blessing in disguise that Iupati was gone.One question though: did they bring Bulaga in for a workout or anything? I never expected him to be available at 18, and Im not sure the Steelers did either. Everyone had them going Pouncey/Iupati, so Im just wondering when their pick came up if they liked Pouncey that much, or didnt know enough about Bulaga because they didnt expect to get him and thus didnt do enough research on him
I don't think Bulaga was ever brought in but I heard Colbert on the radio saying the Steelers actually interview over 100 players during the combines and workouts and that a player being brought into town doesn't mean they like him over another that wasn't. Someting about scheduling and so forth.Maybe it was GM-speak, I don't know...

The more I thought about it yesterday, I wanted a DB (Thomas, Jackson, or Wilson in that order) instead of OL pick in the 1st, but I cant knock taking Pouncey. I think it might be a blessing in disguise that Iupati was gone.

One question though: did they bring Bulaga in for a workout or anything? I never expected him to be available at 18, and Im not sure the Steelers did either. Everyone had them going Pouncey/Iupati, so Im just wondering when their pick came up if they liked Pouncey that much, or didnt know enough about Bulaga because they didnt expect to get him and thus didnt do enough research on him
Bulaga met with the Steelers April 6th...he was the only draft prospect they met that day.http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10096/1048277-100.stm

Bulaga met with the Steelers April 6th...he was the only draft prospect they met that day.http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10096/1048277-100.stm
Hmm...a little more surprised they passed on him then and took Pouncey instead.

Worilds is a good fit for their fire zone.

Of all the tweeners he looks the most comfortable in space to me. Will be able to contribute as a pass rusher immediately, but will need some time as an overall LB, but he'll have some. I think he's probably worth the pick. They are WOEFULLY thing behind Woodley and Harrison.

That said....passing on Cody doesn't make sense to me.

Worilds is a good fit for their fire zone.Of all the tweeners he looks the most comfortable in space to me. Will be able to contribute as a pass rusher immediately, but will need some time as an overall LB, but he'll have some. I think he's probably worth the pick. They are WOEFULLY thing behind Woodley and Harrison.That said....passing on Cody doesn't make sense to me.
Immediately after the Combine, I said "me thinks Worrilds might be a Steeler."Very excited to add him. We's got Woodley potential.I think RD3 you might see a WR. Roberts / Sanders / Decker... they're all likely to be there.What I do think this says is that they are going to let last year's CBs compete.As I type, the Ravens select Cody. I'm *VERY* happy he's not a Steeler. Hampton is all the NTs we need with weight problems. Don't need a second one like that. Dissappointed to see both Troup & Joseph go so early. Late RD sleeper name at NT - Ekom Udofia, NT Stanford

I can't get excited about this pick. CB's are some of the weakest in the league, OL still need's work, need a backup RB, Farrior does not have much left neither does Hampton. Instead they address what is probably the teams greatest strength. Makes no sense.

I can't get excited about this pick. CB's are some of the weakest in the league, OL still need's work, need a backup RB, Farrior does not have much left neither does Hampton. Instead they address what is probably the teams greatest strength. Makes no sense.
I'm no draft nerd, but I am perplexed by this pick as well. Seems like a stretch for a non-need. Harrumph.I know it's only been a year, but how do you guys grade last years' draft? Do some of their headscratchers make sense in retrospect?

Looking for a rainbow here.
They hit big on Mike Wallace and at the time I thought it was a head scratcher as I assumed Sweed was an emerging #3. Ziggy Hood looks like he'll eventually be the real deal. To early to write some of the other picks off but certainly have not seen enough from anyone else to believe they are for sure major contributors either.

The last few years have been filled with a lot more misses than hits when going past the first round. The 2008 draft was terrible after Mendenhall and even than he was taken ahead of Chris Johnson. 2007 draft was saved by Woodley and after him the picks were mostly terrible. I think these poor drafts are taking a toll on the teams depth and the Steelers are in need of a solid top to bottom draft.

Interesting draft... Not sure how I feel but people were meh about last years draft and I think it turned out fairly well.

From everything I heard leading up to the draft, the Steelers really did their homework on the WR prospects. I dove into Emmanuel Sanders and he really seems to be a good fit for what the team does.

Minny Sanders is very elusive, good at getting separation and running to space. He has great hands and toughness.

As a runner, he has excellent pad level, takes good angles to avoid punishing blows yet always goes down moving forward to gain an extra yard or two.

He doesn't run crisp routes because he likes to make double moves. I think he likes to use too much shake n bake to run a good timing route, but in his defense, making those moves plays to his strengths. He is raw in this area and will need some coaching.

Since Ben isn't a quick release 3 step passer, I don't see the route running as a major knock. Ben likes to throw the ball to where the defender isn't as opposed to throwing it quickly on a timing route. This kid is going to help stretch the field, get some chances down the field and bunches of WR screens.

He will be fun to watch.

I know most are pulling for a CB, which I would be fine with, in round 2 and others are angling for wideout, which I assume would be Benn since they seem to have a chubby for him, but I have to admit that what I want to happen is........a trade up for Cody.Get in front of that giant knot of other 3-4 teams, Kevin, and nail down BOTH 'pivots' for the forseeable. A Pouncey/Cody round1-round 2 would make this a pretty great draft regardless of what happened after it.Basically a pipe dream though if they can't deal up. Too many 3-4 teams between them and their next pick.Going best available CB/WR/OLB in round 2 with a trade up in 3 to grab, say, Troup would be a-okay with me as well.
We coulda been a contender. Cody falls into our laps in round 2 WITHOUT trading up, yet we still don't take him. I don't get it, since Hampton is no spring chicken.

The only guy of the three I really raised any eyebrow over was Sanders, and that's more because of a level of competition/Spread thing. I remain skeptical of any skill player coming out of a spread attack until they force me to feel otherwise. That said, body control is big with me for WRs and Sanders reportedly has that in spades. Guess we'll see.

Worilds is someone I've pimped on here before. If I'm being honest, I was disappointed they passed on Cody for him, but, like I mentioned prior, of all the tweeners he just looks the most comfortable in space to me(not like I've seen all his games, but I've seem some + some 'tape.') That's key for making the switch to full-time OLB.

Obviously, Pouncey's their best pick at present, but that stands to reason. He was a first rounder for a reason.

I've seen Steeler fans elsewhere vociferously lamenting the Steelers' draft thus far and championing the Ravens' citing Kindle and Cody trumping all 3 of Pittsburgh's pick on their own. I look at Kindle and I basically see Worilds with micro-fracture history. They're the same sort of guy. I LOVE Cody. LOVE him. Think he's a top 25 talent in this class and I HATE that the Ravens landed him, but Pouncey is an equal or better prospect(certainly has less questions about his dedication) at his position so I think that's probably a push. The Ravens grabbed a pretty good TE in Dixon in the third and the Steelers took what appears to be a gamble on a 'measurables' guy at WR. As of this day, I'd say that's advantage Ravens.

I think the Ravens are probably the 'leaders in the clubhouse' for drafts in the division at this point, but I don't think they're lapping the field by any stretch.

From everything I heard leading up to the draft, the Steelers really did their homework on the WR prospects. I dove into Emmanuel Sanders and he really seems to be a good fit for what the team does.

Minny Sanders is very elusive, good at getting separation and running to space. He has great hands and toughness.

As a runner, he has excellent pad level, takes good angles to avoid punishing blows yet always goes down moving forward to gain an extra yard or two.

He doesn't run crisp routes because he likes to make double moves. I think he likes to use too much shake n bake to run a good timing route, but in his defense, making those moves plays to his strengths. He is raw in this area and will need some coaching.

Since Ben isn't a quick release 3 step passer, I don't see the route running as a major knock. Ben likes to throw the ball to where the defender isn't as opposed to throwing it quickly on a timing route. This kid is going to help stretch the field, get some chances down the field and bunches of WR screens.

He will be fun to watch.
Poor man's Santonio Holmes, hopefully without the baggage. Not excited about this pick. Barring injuries, he won't see the field as a WR this year.

Users who are viewing this thread