What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Subscriber Contest (4 Viewers)

I am really surpised at how few took Brady.
He's one of those studs that could be dominate but didn't cripple your salary cap.I think the biggest reason he wasn't picked more was that his selection would make Leftwich basically useless and people love a bargain.

FYI...posting your roster w/o commentary is basically a waste of bandwidth. We'll be able to look at thousands of rosters soon enough if we want that.

started tweaking my team late night last night and ended up going with a "zag" while everyone else is "zigging" team. I'm betting on monster years from Brady and Megatron. Decided against depth (only 21 players rostered) b/c I think the team that wins these things needs luck to win anyway - teams that barely slide by with lesser talent but more depth don't end up winning anyway. :confused:

QB - Tom Brady - 37

QB - Matt Hasselbeck - 17

RB - DeAngelo Williams - 37

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Chris Wells - 15

RB - Felix Jones - 11

RB - James Davis - 2

WR - Calvin Johnson - 40

WR - Marques Colston - 28

WR - Chris Henry - 12

WR - Percy Harvin - 5

WR - Malcom Floyd - 3

WR - Robert Meachem - 3

TE - Zach Miller - 12

TE - Kevin Boss - 6

TE - Chris Baker - 1

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - 1

PK - Jason Hanson - 1

TD - Oakland Raiders - 1

TD - New Orleans Saints - 1

TD - Kansas City Chiefs - 1

FYI...posting your roster w/o commentary is basically a waste of bandwidth. We'll be able to look at thousands of rosters soon enough if we want that.
Be careful. Last year, I got screamed at for asking that people stop letting us know if they made the cut or not by posting their entire roster.

He's one of those studs that could be dominate but didn't cripple your salary cap.I think the biggest reason he wasn't picked more was that his selection would make Leftwich basically useless and people love a bargain.
Last year you could have gotten away with a very thin budget at QB. This year I think you needed to pay $25+ to get a stud. Shaun Hill has potential to put up big numbers @ $11, but other than that, the upside for most the lower tiers is limited. Leinart could, but that requires an injury. What surprised me is everyone is spending a lot of money at TE. It is only one spot (some flex potential) that doesn't score too much. I think there were several guys under $10 who can breakout to become upper tier guys.

QB - Peyton Manning - 32

QB - Aaron Rodgers - 27

I don't see how Manning doesn't throw for 4000 yards again, and like so many others took the preseason darling Rodgers. I didn't mind spending more here to get some top level guys as the bargains were elsewhere. Toyed with the idea of Leftwich, but really don't like his prospects for contributing.

RB - Ronnie Brown - 35

RB - Ryan Grant - 24

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Fred Taylor - 11

RB - Ricky Williams - 8

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

Grant/Parker/Bradshaw were locked in right away. Eventually hovered between locking in the Philly or Miami running backs. Finally decided on Miami as I really like their O-Line. Taylor was just a gamble on a high powered offense. I skipped Edge and James Davis. I don't think either of them will pull a Slaton.

WR - Ted Ginn - 16

WR - Kevin Walter - 14

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Jordy Nelson - 5

WR - Nate Burleson - 5

WR - Patrick Crayton - 4

WR - James Jones - 4

WR - Chaz Schilens - 3

Skimped here and went for numbers. Will have at least 6 active (knock on wood) WRs every week. Jones/Nelson are the only real oddities. GB should use tons of 3 and 4 WR sets, I like the odds of having one of them to put up double digits points each week.

TE - Visanthe Shiancoe - 10

TE - Kevin Boss - 6

TE - Jermichael Finley - 3

Shiancoe and Finley were my gimmes here. Tried to fit Witten in, but had to give up too much at RB to do it. Just hoping Boss gets a lot of red zone looks with Burress gone.

PK - Jeff Reed - 2

PK - Phil Dawson - 1

PK - Dan Carpenter - 1

TD - Arizona Cardinals - 3

TD - Green Bay Packers - 3

Surprised that not as many people took the DTBC suggested combo at defense.

QB - Matt Schaub - 20

QB - David Garrard - 18

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Leon Washington - 12

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

RB - Ladell Betts - 2

RB - James Davis - 2

WR - Calvin Johnson - 40

WR - Chad Ochocinco - 27

WR - Anthony Gonzalez - 26

WR - Justin Gage - 8

WR - Percy Harvin - 5

WR - Chaz Schilens - 3

TE - Zach Miller - 12

PK - Josh Scobee - 2

PK - Robbie Gould - 2

PK - Phil Dawson - 1

Total value: 250

Loaded up at RB and WR - nearly added Leinhart at QB and regret not doing so, but saw too many values at WR and RB ( at least what I think are values); Seeing how few teams took Brady I wish I looked at him, but honestly never considered spending that much money at QB; Here is to hoping NE has nothing to play for in Week 16 and Brady does not play...........

I took the suggested QB and DT combo from FBG ;) Why go against the grain when there is plenty of variance at the other positions although it does not appear that many people went this route.

Last edited by a moderator:
High risk here ...here's hoping for a big year from Rogers and DeAngelo.

QB - Aaron Rodgers - 27

QB - Chad Pennington - 12

RB - Darren Sproles - 13

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

RB - Ladell Betts - 2

RB - Tashard Choice - 2

RB - James Davis - 2

WR - Andre Johnson - 43

WR - Calvin Johnson - 40

WR - Vincent Jackson - 21

WR - Chris Henry - 12

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Chaz Schilens - 3

WR - Sam Hurd - 1

TE - Chris Baker - 1

PK - Josh Brown - 1

PK - Steve Hauschka - 1

TD - Cleveland Browns - 1

Since people were looking for some theory and thought processes . . .

Even though I can't win the contest, I made a spreadsheet calculating ROI for all the players in the contest and tried to get the most bang for the buck.

QB - David Garrard - 18

QB - Jason Campbell - 15

QB - Shaun Hill - 11

These were three of the better ROI QB. Obviously on a cost basis Leftwich is the best option, but I don't see him sticking as the starting QB in TB for the whole season. On a PPG basis, Hill has been very good so far in his career. I'm not sure why so many folks think he will do radically worse heading forward. I can see maybe a slight decrease PPG wise, but not to the level where he is not Top 25. In hindsight, I probably should have considered getting an elite guy (Brady/Brees/Rogers) and a couple of lower end guys and rolled the dice that the stud didn't have an off week, an injury, or a bye that killed me. Still, $44 for three starters is not extreme cost wise.

RB - Ryan Grant - 24

RB - Marshawn Lynch - 22

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Sammy Morris - 4

RB - James Davis - 2

RB - Edgerrin James - 1

Oddly enough, I don't own Grant in any league this year, but he turned out to be a decent value for a projected high carry guy. The RB landscape on a dollar analysis had to be broken down into guys that will be close to featured backs and those that are part time backs, as the workhorse backs have a lower expected return. I orignally had Jacobs as my top back (as his cost is pretty low and he was pegged far too low compare to where he should rank production wise), but in tinkering I need a few extra bucks to add some other players.

I suspect Lynch will be a great value in that I am hoping that there will not be a lot of team cutdowns by the time his suspension is over. From then on, he's basically a top 12-15 back at a discount. Parker is too low cost wise given the news that he is expected to be the mainstay in the PIT backfield. Based on projections, Washington is another good buy at his production per unit cost. I still hold firm that Sammy Morris is going to be the TD vulture for NE this year and will see some part time yardage and receptions. Davis and James were cheap and their production will far exceed the pocket change acquisition costs.

WR - Randy Moss - 42

WR - Devin Hester - 19

WR - Chris Henry - 12

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Bobby Engram - 3

WR - Davone Bess - 3

WR - Laurent Robinson - 2

Being frugal at other spots left the opportunity to add a couple of bonafide studs somewhere on the roster. Moss got one of them for the simple fact that I expect him to be the top receiver and he should have some MONSTER weeks. I'm not really a Hester fan, but based on projections he's actually one of the better mid range receiving options. Ditto for Henry, who if he perfroms like his prior seasons makes for a great best ball WR as he normally does great or does nothing, which basically boils down to some big weeks when he gets in the end zone. Mason is a receptions magnet and will see a lot of targets and receptions (although I don't have a lot of faith in his yardage or TD totals this year). The other guys were cheap and should do way better than their cost.

TE - Jason Witten - 27

TE - Chris Baker - 1

The other big investment was Witten, and given the 1.5 PPR scoring for TE he seemed like he was worth the extra money. He could have a lot more receptions than any other TE this year (Dodds has him like +15 receptions over all other TEs). FInley and Baker will likely be on a lot of other rosters, but they are cheap, should start, and have a lot of upside.

PK - Olindo Mare - 1

PK - Jay Feely - 1

Invested $$$ in other spots, just wanted two guys without the same bye week.

TD - Detroit Lions - 1

I actually think the Saints will end up being worth a lot more than the dollar it cost to acquire them, and the Lions will be better than last year (they couldn't be worse).

We shall see if the projected production vs cost strategy yields decent results, as I am interested to see how this works out. I won the staff side of the contest last year with a similar strategy, but I did not do the full research and analysis as I did this year . . .

Some general thoughts:

1) I think people who skimped out on TEs made a big mistake. At 1.5 PPR, good TEs can score for your flex position more weeks than not. Finley ($3) and Baker ($1) were good bargains, certainly, but when you can get near-studs for under $13, you end up missing out on a lot of points. (My TEs: Daniels ($13) + ZMiller ($12) + Fasano ($7))

2) Lots of talk about Leftwich at $4, but he's not going to help your team if he gets benched by November. I think the best bargain at QB was Sanchez ($9): for another $5, you get much more job security, more talent, and a better supporting cast.

3) Stud RBs are way overpriced compared to stud WRs. I plugged the contest values into MyFBG and found that out of the top ten RB/WR/TE (according to Dodds projections), there were eight WRs and only one RB. Remember, RBs are high priced in fantasy leagues because there are not enough good RBs to go around in most leagues, but in a contest like this, scarcity is not a factor.

4) With the unusually large bonus points for long FGs, kickers with good legs are more important than kickers on good offenses. (My Ks: JBrown ($1) + Carpenter ($1) + Hauschka ($1))

High risk here ...here's hoping for a big year from Rogers and DeAngelo.QB - Aaron Rodgers - 27QB - Chad Pennington - 12RB - DeAngelo Williams - 37RB - Darren Sproles - 13RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8RB - Ladell Betts - 2RB - Tashard Choice - 2RB - James Davis - 2WR - Andre Johnson - 43WR - Calvin Johnson - 40WR - Vincent Jackson - 21WR - Chris Henry - 12WR - Derrick Mason - 9WR - Chaz Schilens - 3WR - Sam Hurd - 1TE - Visanthe Shiancoe - 10TE - Jermichael Finley - 3TE - Chris Baker - 1PK - Josh Brown - 1PK - Steve Hauschka - 1TD - Cleveland Browns - 1TD - New Orleans Saints - 1
I'm surprised to see so few people go with Darren Sproles. It appears too many people are afraid he's just going to ride the bench while LT gets all the touches.

QB - Donovan McNabb - 24

QB - Shaun Hill - 11

QB - Byron Leftwich - 4

QB Total = 39

I went with 3 QB's this year, I think Hill and Lefty provide solid backups capable of putting up decent numbers any given week and I mainly chose McNabb because I knew most other people would pass on him. He should have a good year and I liked pairing him up with Desean as one of my WR's.

RB - Ryan Grant - 24

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Ladell Betts - 2

RB - Edgerrin James - 1

RB Total = 92

DWill is gonna have a great year and should be an every week high scorer for me. Grant, Parker and Washington all have upside and should contribute lots of points each week. I should get one of them to blow up every week as my RB2. Betts and Edge are flyers and insurance. I think Parker was the best value in the contest this year at the RB position.

WR - Greg Jennings - 32

WR - DeSean Jackson - 24

WR - Chris Henry - 12

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Nate Burleson - 5

WR - Percy Harvin - 5

WR Total = 89

Jennings and Desean should be every week contributors, I like the Mcnabb to Desean hookup as I think it will happen a lot this year and. Henry is the best value at WR this year, he will put up good, if not great, nubers. Mason, Burleson and the rest are insurance and since this is PPR Mason is usually good for 8-10 points a week with his normal 5-40 and 6-50 stat lines each week

TE - Jeremy Shockey - 9

TE - Todd Heap - 5

TE - Chris Baker - 1

TE Total = 18

I really really wanted to just take Witten and a backup here because Witten will be huge in 1.5ppr this season, however those extra 9 points I saved really helped me elsewhere. I think the 4 guys I have above could put up good numbers any given week. I should get at least 1 td from my TE corps each week. I think Shocky and Heap should have rebound years and I think almost every other team will have Finley, Baker or Both on their rosters because they are good values.

PK - Nate Kaeding - 4

PK - Jeff Reed - 2

PK & Def Total = 12

I kept changing my mind over 2 or 3 K's & D's and in the end 2 seemed to work fine for me. I think alot of teams will have GB and Arizona which is fine beacuse D scoring is very minimal in this contest anyway. K on the hand is interesting as it can add up quickly. I like Kaeding to put up decent numbers each week. SD should be in some high scoring games. I also like Reed, but for a very different reason. Pit should be leading most games this season and will look to run the ball and chew up clock in the 3rd and 4th quarters... that means lots of FG opportunities for Reed. No need for Pit to run up the score and try to score TD's, but they will def kick lots of late FG's to keep adding to their leads.

17 Members: BassNBrew, dancingbones, Robbie Cooper, **** Vermeil, Chaos Commish, aburt19, HALtheCOW, Charley, HellToupee, Panzer, Frank Costanza's Lawyer, jagbag, Modog814, ConstruxBoy, fossdboss, Matt Waldman, s&m

:unsure:

Waiting to see who he took since Nall wasn't an option.

Tweaked things a little (again) at the last minute. Hoping to improve on my $30 winnings from last year! Looking at the summary stats, there are a lot of Packers taken frequently. Rodgers, Grant, Jennings, Finley, and D are way up there. It should be interesting what happens in week 5. I ended up switching out Jennings and Grant due to the bye week issues. Also decided to go with the crowd on Felix Jones over Wells, which allowed me the extra dollar for White and to upgrade Arizona D to Baltimore.

QB - Aaron Rodgers - 27

QB - Shaun Hill - 11

QB - Byron Leftwich - 4

No obvious value like Warner from last year. I think Hill will outscore Rodgers a few times, and Leftwich is probably insurance. I wonder if he will end up being a waste of $4.

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Felix Jones - 11

RB - Edgerrin James - 1

DeAngelo was the cheapest "stud". Parker should be solid and I love Leon this year. Went back and forth between James and Davis and thought about using both, but I think 5 roster spots is the right amount for RB.

WR - Roddy White - 33

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Nate Burleson - 5

WR - Percy Harvin - 5

WR - Chaz Schilens - 3

WR - Robert Meachem - 3

Decided to go with 2 cheaper "studs" and then 6 cheaper guys who have good upside. Wanted Henry too but had trouble making the $$$ work.

TE - Jason Witten - 27

TE - Chris Baker - 1

I'm a little surprised at how few took Witten, but he is expensive. He will catch a lot of balls this year and the 1.5 PPR is huge. Like Finley and Baker as occasional contributors.

PK - Phil Dawson - 1

PK - Dan Carpenter - 1

PK - Steve Hauschka - 1

3 low end kickers. Someone should have a decent game per week. Quantity over quality.

TD - Baltimore Ravens - 6

Love this combo. According to Chase's strength of schedule, they have the best combined schedule of any two teams.

Player Price %own

-------------------------------

Aaron Rodgers $27 31.0 - If he goes down, 1/3 of the teams are eliminated

Byron Leftwich $ 4 15.9 - A cheap starter for protection

Matt Ryan $19 15.6 - Great rookie year, good upside potential, probably 25 TD's

Mark Sanchez $ 9 15.3 - Another cheap starter. not much excitement here

David Garrard $18 13.7 - A lot of love for a guy on a running offense that threw 15 TD's last year.

Matt Hasselbeck $17 13.0 - Maybe can rebound. Seahawks sucked last year.

Matt Schaub $20 12.4 - Another run first team. $20 seems high for a guy whose upside is 20 TD's

Shaun Hill $11 10.1 - I think Shaun Hill has best chance to break out

Drew Brees $35 10.0 - Shocked only 10% own best FF QB (I wish I had him now)

Tom Brady $37 9.4 - Shocked only 9.4% own 2nd best FF QB

Matt Leinart $ 4 9.4 - Best flyer pick there was

Joe Flacco $14 8.1 - Team runs too much for me to want their QB

Matthew Stafford $11 6.9 - Too expensive for a rookie. Could throw 20 TD's though

Philip Rivers $25 6.7 - Quietly threw 4,000 yards and 34 TD's last year. Rodney Dangerfield

Carson Palmer $21 6.7 - Risky pick for the price. Lots of upside, but can they protect him?

Brady Quinn $ 9 5.3 - I like him for $9. Wish he had more targets and better protection though.

Chad Pennington $12 5.2 - $12 is about right. Not much excitement

Tony Romo $23 4.6 - I think he will miss TO, and so do a lot of people

Donovan McNabb $24 4.5 - McNabb is a good FF QB, but gets no love. Perhaps Vick steals some points.

Eli Manning $16 4.3 - Who is he going to throw too? I like some of his younger WR's though.

Kerry Collins $10 4.1 -

Jay Cutler $22 4.0 - Doubt Bears will become a throwing offense.

Kurt Warner $25 3.7 - People fear his age. Pick up Leinart for protection and be covered.

Jake Delhomme $14 3.6 -

Marc Bulger $11 3.3

Peyton Manning $32 3.0

Daunte Culpepper $ 4 2.8 - for $4 might have been worth risk. More upside than Stafford this year

Ben Roethlisberger $19 2.8

Jason Campbell $15 1.9

Trent Edwards $18 1.4

Derek Anderson $ 4 1.4

JaMarcus Russell $12 1.3

Matt Cassel $17 0.9

Alex Smith $ 4 0.6

Kyle Orton $19 0.4

Sage Rosenfels $13 0.2

Kellen Clemens $ 5 0.2

Luke McCown $ 8 0.1

Well, after multiple tweaks, I ended up with this roster. After finishing close enough to get $35 last year, I'm hoping to get over the hump to the BIG $$ this year.

QB - Tom Brady - 37

QB - Brady Quinn - 9

QB - Derek Anderson - 4

I think Brady will put up the #s - glad to hear he's not owned by everyone. Didn't even notice Leftwich - but would have rolled with the Browns tandem for the backup anyway.

RB - Fred Jackson - 14

RB - Michael Bush - 6

RB - Glen Coffee - 2

RB - James Davis - 2

RB - Edgerrin James - 1

I like this set of RBs. Hoping Jackson & Washington are the Williams & Johnson of last year.

WR - Chad Ochocinco - 27

WR - Domenik Hixon - 21

WR - Bernard Berrian - 21

WR - Chris Chambers - 10

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Isaac Bruce - 5

WR - Devery Henderson - 3

WR - Josh Cribbs - 1

A little shaky on the wideouts. Betting on Ochocinco reaping the benefits of no TJ, and thinking that Hixon's relatively higher price would have knocked him off of some others boards. Didn't like many of the $1 or $2 wideouts, but I think Cribbs has a decent shot of putting up some numbers.

TE - Greg Olsen - 15

TE - Kevin Boss - 6

I like Greg Olsen to produce this season. Hoping Boss will also pick up some of the "no plaxico" production from Manning.

PK - Adam Vinatieri - 3

PK - Phil Dawson - 1

2 cheaper kickers with different BYEs.

TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3

Figuring the Cowboys will carry me through or the Browns surprise in a BIG way. I can always hope, right??

I love rooting for the players on my team in this contest. Thanks to FBGs for putting it on again. :goodposting:

Here's what I really ended up going with:

QB - Aaron Rodgers - 27

QB - Shaun Hill - 11

QB - Mark Sanchez - 9

$47 is a little more than I expected to pay, but unlike most of the board, I felt 3 QB was just about a mandatory play. Only 3 of the top 25 last year had 2 QBs (and yes I realize Warner was a factor and also that the first place entry had only 2 and somehow escaped the Romo injury week). It's just too tough a position to file a zero under and somehow escape the Turk. This was originally Rodgers/Hill/Leftwich and Garrard definitely received consideration but ultimately this seemed best. My problem with Leftwich is that I totally can see Tampa starting 2-8 and switching to Freeman at some point at the exact time that I would want to have more resources available, not less. Sanchez will have the job all the way through IMO.

RB - Brandon Jacobs - 32

RB - Ray Rice - 21

RB - Larry Johnson - 20

RB - Chris Wells - 15

RB - James Davis - 2

RB - Edgerrin James - 1

$91. In previous years I've done the big stud (specifically LT2) and while his price actually was rather tempting I feel better about this mix. Jacobs isn't the best PPR guy, it is true, but when he's playing he tends to have monster games. On the flip Rice is more the PPR guy but also I think that he's just scratching the surface of what he can do. Even in a crowded backfield in Baltimore there will be plenty of touches coming his way. I did consider Parker here given that his touches are supposed to increase and that he'll be back at the goalline. Grandmama at $20 strikes me as distinct value, even with the wretched state of affairs in Kansas City. A lot of the offense is going to go through him. Part of why I didn't take Parker was that he shares his bye with LJ. I suppose I could've gone Grant/Parker here and even saved $1 in the bargain but with Rodgers in tow, I figured it'd be better to spread it out a little. Beanie at $15 seems like it could prove the most prescient move of all. I think his injury history is a little scary but the upside is too much too pass up at that rate. James Davis at $2 is a guy that's on a ton of teams, for sure, and could be a definite steal at that price. Even if he it ends up RBBC with Lewis there, I think he'll do more than the other options at twice the price. Edge for $1 is basically mandatory. With the expanded roster, 6 RBs seemed about right.

WR - Chad Ochocinco - 27

WR - Josh Morgan - 15

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Bobby Engram - 3

WR - Kenny Britt - 2

$86. I could swear I had more here, but this is also where the Sanchez upgrade directly came from. I originally had 8 guys here with Nate Burleson being the specific cut to make room for Sanchez. (I rearranged my Ks and or Ds to get back to 24, I don't recall how. This is an area that I probably discounted a bit too much in the prior years (in past contests I went with one guy at the Colston-type level and would have like an $8 there instead, sending the $20 over to the RBs to pay for LT2). I like the one-two punch Colston and Ocho give at the price. Josh Morgan isn't fabulous, but with Crabtree nowhere in sight the guy is a #1 receiver on a team that will fall behind enough times that he'll seem a good deal of action and production. Mason at $9 was one of those guys that was a must-have for me. Once I put him into my roster early on in the going I never took him out when messing around with scenarios. He's a #1 guy on his team who gets a ton of looks his way. A great overlay at $9. Engram was the last guy on the team as I took out Nicks and put him in when I needed a $1 to reconfigure my TEs. Nicks has potential, but the Giants receiving situation is pretty messy. KC's isn't much better to be sure but Engram is the kind of boring receiver who will put up boring numbers that might save my butt for a week or two. Not bad at $3. Britt is a rookie I like better than Nicks and at the lower price of $2 I had to get him as he'll get a lot of first team time. Laurent Robinson is another starter at $2 which is all you can ask for at that price and of course a ton of entries have him.

TE - Owen Daniels - 13

TE - Chris Baker - 1

$17. This is an area where I went counter to the conventional wisdom. A lot of people seem to be keying in on TEs for their flex guys based on the 1.5 per reception. While that's nice, for sure, I don't know if it's worth the extra cost associated with it - at least in terms of taking a pair of front line guys. I've put more $ into this position in the past and got burned. Daniels and Finley were the other last 2 guys in, replacing Shiancoe and Heap (I'm a bit surprised that this actually made my team MORE unique). I think Daniels is a lot safer bet to get solid dependable numbers each week than Shiancoe - Favre or no Favre. I thought I was set but it just bothered me the more I thought about it so I switched it up. It woulda been funny if I had Heap yet again as I've had him the last 2 years and he pretty much killed me! (Probably good news for all you Heap owners ;) ). I'm not quite as sold on Finley as the rest of the board but I think he'll be able to produce at times. Baker for $1 was another easy play that many of you also have. Had to at least get a small piece of that NE offense. I went 3 TE, unlike in the past, as I think that'll keep me away from many bad weeks.

PK - Rob Bironas - 3

PK - Josh Brown - 1

PK - Dan Carpenter - 1

$5. Originally I was set to be a 3 K, 3 DEF guy. After looking at the top 5 entries though, it really did seem like these positions didn't matter nearly so much. 26 different kickers appeared on the top 50 rosters last year. Bironas is a bargain at $3 given his penchant for big games and long kicks on a team that likes to stall a lot. Every time I got away from him (for cutting even more from my K budget) I just had to come back. Brown and Carpenter are the best of the $1 brigade. I had the $1 and the roster spot left and decided that taking a shot on 2 $1 kicker would be wiser than 1 $1 kicker. I mulled using this extra dollar on defense instead but after some analysis found that there's just a little more variance in kicker scoring and they are little more prone to have a bigger big game than a defense will. A zero at kicker is more costly than a zero on defense. This also eliminates injury concerns which naturally don't occur at this position.

TD - Buffalo Bills - 2

TD - Seattle Seahawks - 2

$4. Not what I expected to end up with. As with kickers, though, there was a wide variety of defenses represented in the top 50 entries (22 to be exact). 23 of the top 25 entries had only 2 defenses as well last year. For quite a while I was on the Green Bay and or Dallas tack at $3 each like many folks here. Ultimately the other positions whittled this amount down and I decided these 2 defenses at $2 each were better than any $3/$1 combo I could come up with. Still a little scared here, but ultimately I think this was the right call.

So there you go :goodposting:

-QG

QB - Drew Brees - 35

QB - Donovan McNabb - 24

QB - Byron Leftwich - 4

Went for a big combo at QB with the hope that each week either Brees or McNabb puts up big points.

RB - Ray Rice - 21

RB - Chris Wells - 15

RB - Felix Jones - 11

RB - Ladell Betts - 2

RB - Shonn Greene - 2

RB - James Davis - 2

RB - Edgerrin James - 1

Rolled the dice that one or more of these lower tier RBs will breakout and have big seasons for their teams. I like Rice and Wells to do this early with James Davis and Edgerrin James moving into the starting roles later on in the season.

WR - Anquan Boldin - 31

WR - Chad Ochocinco - 27

WR - Torry Holt - 22

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

All solid WRs whose production last season and/or age have pushed down their value in this contest. I hope that their production turns around this season.

TE - Brent Celek - 7

TE - Todd Heap - 5

Two TEs who are under the wire but could have solid years.

PK - Ryan Longwell - 3

PK - Steve Hauschka - 1

my team

QB - Matt Ryan - 19

QB - Matthew Stafford - 11

QB - Byron Leftwich - 4

RB - Frank Gore - 43

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Jamaal Charles - 7

RB - Glen Coffee - 2

RB - James Davis - 2

RB - Chris Brown - 1

WR - Eddie Royal - 26

WR - Hines Ward - 24

WR - Chris Henry - 12

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Robert Meachem - 3

WR - Austin Collie - 2

TE - Tony Gonzalez - 22

PK - Robbie Gould - 2

PK - Jay Feely - 1

TD - Pittsburgh Steelers - 7

Where are people finding the % owned page? I'm curious of the breakdowns.

tia

kook

ETA: was answered while i typed this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year you could have gotten away with a very thin budget at QB. This year I think you needed to pay $25+ to get a stud. Shaun Hill has potential to put up big numbers @ $11, but other than that, the upside for most the lower tiers is limited. Leinart could, but that requires an injury. What surprised me is everyone is spending a lot of money at TE. It is only one spot (some flex potential) that doesn't score too much. I think there were several guys under $10 who can breakout to become upper tier guys.
That doesn't score too much? You do understand that TE get 1.5 points per reception, WR 1 and RB .5? TE can represent the best value for money in this league.

Schaub $20 - 10

Sanchez $9 - 5

My strategy here was to put all my eggs in the Schaub basket, something I believe most others won't due to injury concerns. I think he can put up top 3 numbers. Wanted to go with Lefty as back up but the late Schaub bye had me concerned that Leftwich was either going to be benched or hurt by week 10.

A. Peterson $50 - 9

R. Grant $24 - 5

L. Washington $12 - 9

E. James $1 - 7

F. Jones $11 -6

Wanted a guy that could carry a team in any given week and got that in ADP. I also believe that he'll be more involved catching the football. I think Grant is in for a big year, but he's more of the consistent 80-100 and maybe a TD each week. Washington & Jones both are players that can break a long one that could lead to inflated stats for a week. They're both also active with catching the ball which will help their scoring be a little more consistent. E. James was only a $1 and I could see him starting down the line for Seattle.

Boldin $31 - 4

Colston $28 -5

Mason $9 - 7

C. Henry $12 - 8

J. Morgan $15 - 6

H. Nicks $4 - 10

J. Cribbs $1 - 9

I believe this is the most valuable position in this contest. Having guys like Boldin, Colston and Mason could net you 7-10 points per week each, just in receptions alone. I tried to target high catch studs, was thinking about going A. Johnson, but didn't want week 10 to be so by heavy (with Schaub out too). Henry and Morgan are goign to be boom or bust players and are exactly the type of players that win these things. Eli will have to throw to someone and Nicks is probably the most talented WR on that team. It won't be long before he's starting, imo. Cribbs was the best $1 WR i saw, I believe he's a guy that can bring "luck" to your team by catching a long fly pattern for a TD. I'm not really counting on him for anything, so anything he contributes will be a bonus.

O. Daniels $13 - 10

M. Bennett $4 -6

I believe here is where most people will waste a lot of money. They get suckered in by the 1.5 PPR and buy a high cost TE when someone like O. Daniels can produce similar points (slightly less per week) but also frees up more money to upgrade your WR's. Last year the difference between Witten (#2 TE behind Gonzo) and Daniels was 3.3 points per week. i just couldn't justify spending the extra $14 there.

Carpenter $1 -9

Hauschka $1 - 7

Eh, kickers. Was considering taking 3 or 4 kickers at $1 each, but decided that it just wasn't worth the dollar spot hoping that one of them went off in the one week you would need them to.

Oakland $1 - 9

New Orleans $1 - 5

Houston $2 - 10

Went with 3 defenses. I believe Houston will have a lot of sacks, New Orleans has been playing well in the Preseason. Basically trying to catch lighting in a bottle with Oakland and hoping that they can have a big week if Houston or NOr fails.

My overall strategy was to focus on my starting requirements, getting as many studs as I could for QB, RB1&2, WR1-4, TE1 and fill in the rest of the roster with either strong upside players or guys who could go off in any given week. I've sacraficed depth for the most part in hopes that if 1 or 2 of my studs go off in a week, they'll more than offset those that fail to produce.

I'm susceptible to injury but I believe this risk increases my overall chances of winning this.

I find that the more recklessly I fill out my roster and forget it, the better I do. With that in mind:

QB - Philip Rivers - 25

QB - Joe Flacco - 14

QB - Matt Leinart - 4

RB - Adrian Peterson - 50

RB - Larry Johnson - 20

RB - Rashard Mendenhall - 10

RB - LeRon McClain - 8

RB - Laurence Maroney - 4

RB - Kevin Jones - 3

RB - Tashard Choice - 2

WR - T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 30

WR - Lee Evans - 21

WR - Chris Henry - 12

WR - Miles Austin - 6

WR - Nate Burleson - 5

WR - Andre Davis - 2

WR - Rashied Davis - 2

TE - Jeremy Shockey - 9

PK - Robbie Gould - 2

PK - Sebastian Janikowski - 1

TD - Miami Dolphins - 3

TD - Oakland Raiders - 1

QB - Aaron Rodgers - 27

QB - Mark Sanchez - 9

Banking on Rodgers leading me thru this. If he falters real bad or injured i may be out of here.

RB - Ray Rice - 21

RB - Felix Jones - 11

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

RB - Michael Bush - 6

RB - Bernard Scott - 2

RB - James Davis - 2

PPR rb's and ones that all should have a slice of production on there team and a few that could hit if an injury occoured. With me only having to start 2 im gambleing On high production from LEON and RICE. This is my weak spot.

WR - Roddy White - 33

WR - Chad Ochocinco - 27

WR - Chris Henry - 12

WR - Percy Harvin - 5

WR - Hakeem Nicks - 4

WR - James Jones - 4

SHould get some VERY GOOD production here.

TE - Jason Witten - 27

TE - Owen Daniels - 13

This is where my bread and butter is, Witten and Daniels both can get alot of catches and at 1.5 ppr for the te's im sure hoping so. I expect my flex to come from here as well.

PK - Olindo Mare - 1

PK - Jay Feely - 1

PK - Steve Hauschka - 1

risky lineup but owell, gonna let the chips fall as they may.

I might have picked a pretty risky strategy, only 2 QBs, not a single stud RB (unless Leon or Felix breaks out) but I loaded up on elite WRs and 3 pretty darn good TEs with their increased 1.5 PPR points. I also thought I'd take 3 kickers since they can be so hit or miss each week.

QB - Donovan McNabb - 24

QB - Shaun Hill - 11

RB - Felix Jones - 11

RB - Michael Bush - 6

RB - Laurence Maroney - 4

RB - Bernard Scott - 2

RB - James Davis - 2

RB - Edgerrin James - 1

RB - Chris Brown - 1

WR - Randy Moss - 42

WR - Calvin Johnson - 40

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Percy Harvin - 5

WR - Chaz Schilens - 3

TE - Greg Olsen - 15

TE - Dustin Keller - 12

TE - John Carlson - 11

PK - Robbie Gould - 2

PK - Jeff Reed - 2

PK - Steve Hauschka - 1

TD - Washington Redskins - 3

TD - Dallas Cowboys - 3

cjack said:
tdmills said:
QB - Jay Cutler - 22

QB - Matt Ryan - 19

QB - Matt Leinart - 4

Wanted to get some studs here and a flier on Leinart....don't trust warner.
Then why didn't you?
I feel that both Cutler and Ryan are young and still improving. They both put up good numbers last year as well.

That doesn't score too much? You do understand that TE get 1.5 points per reception, WR 1 and RB .5? TE can represent the best value for money in this league.
A top tier TE gets 65 catches 800 yards 6-7 TD's....a tip tier WR gets 95 catches 1200 yards and 12-14 TD's. That extra half point for receptions is nice, but bigger points will still come from top QB, RB and WR. Besides, Baker and Finley were perhaps the two best values in the draft. Team them up with Greg Olsen, Visanthe Shiancoe, or Owen Daniels and you are set. Boss was also a great possibility at just $6. Now if Witten catches 100 balls and 10 TD's, he will very valuable. But other than than, I think there were great values at the lower tier of TE's. I don't think your second TE will be the flex guy too often, unless you are shallow at RB and WR.

QB - Matt Ryan - 19

QB - Byron Leftwich - 4

I can't believe the number of entries I've seen with only two QB's. I like the choice of Ryan even more after seeing so many on the Rodgers' bandwagon.

RB - Ryan Grant - 24

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Felix Jones - 11

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

RB - Michael Bush - 6

Downgraded from Lynch to FJones on the last day so I could upgrade from Edgerrin to Bush and improve my WR depth.

WR - Wes Welker - 33

WR - Lance Moore - 20

WR - Ted Ginn - 16

WR - Kevin Walter - 14

WR - Nate Burleson - 5

WR - Patrick Crayton - 4

WR - Chaz Schilens - 3

I guess word got out on Schilens, eh? Very surprised to see so many with him while he is still injured. I like how many starting WR's I was able to get for the $ and feel pretty good about finding 3 of them with good weeks most of the time.

TE - Dallas Clark - 18

TE - Brent Celek - 7

Definitely a subscriber to the idea that money is well-spent on TE's. I expect DClark to be very busy. Looks like word got out on Finley too, eh?

PK - Nick Folk - 3

PK - Robbie Gould - 2

PK - Olindo Mare - 1

I was eventually eliminated last year because I had only two kickers and Nugent never played.

TD - Oakland Raiders - 1

Too bad so many have the Packers. Preferred to spend my money upgrading WR's from WR3 to WR2.

Love the contest and it cements my decision to be a FBG subscriber each year. Good luck to all!

That makes no sense. You don't take Brady because you couldn't get Leftwich???? What sense does that make??? You don't take arguably the #1 QB in the game because you can't get Leftwich (who may or may not be starting all year). With Brady, why would you need Leftwich anyway? Do you really think that Leftwich will outscore Brady in any week but his bye?Anyone who missed out on Brady will regret it soo enough! I made it that much better by double dipping with Moss as well!

Every year I write a program to find the most value with players, then I tweak a roster based on the results. This is what I have this year:

QB - Aaron Rodgers - 27

QB - Shaun Hill - 11

QB - Byron Leftwich - 4

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Felix Jones - 11

RB - Jamaal Charles - 7

RB - James Davis - 2

RB - Edgerrin James - 1

WR - Roddy White - 33

WR - Greg Jennings - 32

WR - Anquan Boldin - 31

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Chaz Schilens - 3

TE - Jason Witten - 27

TE - Greg Olsen - 15

TE - Chris Baker - 1

PK - Josh Brown - 1

PK - Dan Carpenter - 1

PK - Steve Hauschka - 1

TD - Cincinnati Bengals - 1

Every year when I do this I end up with the same strategy. Grab several stud WR, a stud TE and good/great backup and skimp on the RB position with the hope of hitting some home runs with some cheap players there. The downside of this strategy is if you don't get the Slaton/Williams like RBs that broke out last year then you end up being crushed but you got to take risks somewhere and the higher priced RBs give less bang for the buck compared to WR/TE. Swing for the fences and all that.

Injuries seem to kill me in this thing every year, so I like the extra 4 spots.
Looks like too much spending on TE and QB. Looks like you paid for two studs when only one can start. You are smart to have lots of quantity at WR and RB, but I would cut your budget a bit at TE and QB and get at least one top stud RB and WR.
I won't argue QB, but going stud TE's is a fine strategy. TE is a possible Flex, and at 1.5/rec, the top TE's could make a solid impact on a team.
After seeing this post, the stud TE looked like a really good move.

Shaub 20

Hass 17

Hill 11

Jacobs 32

McFadden 29

F. Jones 11

Bradshaw 8

McCoy 7

M. Bush 6

Davis 2

Royal 26

V. Jackson 21

Bennett 11

Mason 9

Harvin 5

Nicks 4

Britt 2

L. Robins. 2

O. Daniels 13

Schef 7

Nedney 2

Hanson 1

Sea D 2

NO D 1

RB - Pierre Thomas - 32

WR - Lance Moore - 20

WR - Robert Meachem - 3

TE - Jeremy Shockey - 9

grabbed the majority of the Saints roster. Worst case scenario is I get the 3rd best non QB NO player each week (Don't have Henderson or Bush). Most weeks I will get 2 out of the top 3 and thats usually good for 80+ yards and a TD more often than not.

QB - Carson Palmer - 21

WR - Chris Henry - 12

Palmer's upside is undervalued in this contest, if he and C Henry have big years I'm looking good.

QB - Shaun Hill - 11

QB - Daunte Culpepper - 4

Solid backup and Culpepper could be a few game winner if he ends up back in the starting lineup with megatron and his propensity to run for TDs.

RB - Brandon Jacobs - 32

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

Bet RB on the NYGs? Yes please. Last year the worst rushing game you would have gotten from Jacobs/Ward was 47 yards against the steelers from Jacobs- and in that game Ward put up 80 total yards and 5 receptions. They put up a stinker against the eagles but overall I'm looking at 8+ pts virtually every week with several 20 pt weeks. Excellent consistency for a cut line format.

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Jerome Harrison - 4

RB - James Davis - 2

Super cheap pair- if Harrison ends up with 40+ receptions he will be worth his weight. If he can't play Davis could end up with a bunch of receptions. Could give me one or two weeks worth of starter points in an easy schedule.

WR - Pierre Garcon - 3

WR - Javon Walker - 2

Low cost receivers who could put up 1-2 big weeks each. Mostly riding the NO train at WR.

TE - Jason Witten - 27

TE - Todd Heap - 5

PK - Jason Hanson - 1

PK - Dan Carpenter - 1

PK - Shaun Suisham - 1

TD - Washington Redskins - 3

TD - Cincinnati Bengals - 1

A top tier TE gets 65 catches 800 yards 6-7 TD's....a tip tier WR gets 95 catches 1200 yards and 12-14 TD's. That extra half point for receptions is nice, but bigger points will still come from top QB, RB and WR. Besides, Baker and Finley were perhaps the two best values in the draft. Team them up with Greg Olsen, Visanthe Shiancoe, or Owen Daniels and you are set. Boss was also a great possibility at just $6. Now if Witten catches 100 balls and 10 TD's, he will very valuable. But other than than, I think there were great values at the lower tier of TE's. I don't think your second TE will be the flex guy too often, unless you are shallow at RB and WR.
Heap will end up being the best value at TE.

Based on Dodds' projections, Witten is projected to score 260 points for $27.There are 7 WR projected to score that high: Moss $42, Fitz $44, AJ $43, Megatron $40, Smith $38, White $33, and Wayne $36.

First time entering the contest so I'm using this year as a learning experience.

QB - Tom Brady - 37

QB - Matt Leinart - 4

RB - Darren McFadden - 29

RB - Felix Jones - 11

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

WR - Randy Moss - 42

WR - Steve Breaston - 17

WR - Percy Harvin - 5

WR - Hakeem Nicks - 4

WR - Robert Meachem - 3

TE - Greg Olsen - 15

TE - Todd Heap - 5

PK - Rob Bironas - 3

PK - Josh Brown - 1

PK - Phil Dawson - 1

TD - San Diego Chargers - 5

Total value: 250

I'm going to need some luck with my RB's but I really wanted to try Brady/Moss.

Good luck to all!

Overall goal was to pick up some of the bargain guys that will be on many teams but to also try and avoid a few of them since it's sometimes better to go against the flow with this type of contest. I'm weak at QB, but you can't win by not taking chances.

QB - Mark Sanchez - 9

QB - Byron Leftwich - 4

Leftwich just to protect myself against the horde. I think Sanchez and Hass will be good enough if my other positions can point. Best 3 bargains in the QB class on my board.

RB - Ryan Grant - 24

RB - Ray Rice - 21

RB - Willie Parker - 16

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

RB - LeSean McCoy - 7

RB - Michael Bush - 6

All of these players stood out to me as bargains, and while a few others were out there(like Felix and DW) I think the top 3 might be able to help keep me alive long enough for at least 2 of the bottom 3 to come alive. They are 3 talented back ups behind 3 guys that have had injury issues and could have big weeks even if the starter is healthy.

WR - DeSean Jackson - 24

WR - Antonio Bryant - 23

WR - Derrick Mason - 9

WR - Matt Jones - 5

WR - Hakeem Nicks - 4

WR - Deon Butler - 2

I really like this group even though I avoided some popular bargain players here. Mason is a steal at $9 in this format. I think Colston, Jackson and Bryant are 3 guys with big upsides. Matt Jones is an obvious roll of the dice, but at $5 he could end up the steal of this season. Nick/Butler, generic cheap with upside guys.

TE - Dallas Clark - 18

TE - Dustin Keller - 12

TE - Chris Baker - 1

Spent kinda big on TE, but can see my flex coming from this group fairly often. Clark is a high upside player, and cheap enough to risk it in this format. Keller should catch a lot of balls and Baker is a better cheap flier to me than Finley.

PK - Kris Brown - 3

PK - Josh Scobee - 2

I like both these kickers in this format, but still surprised I spent $5 on kickers. I changed kickers a lot and honestly wish I had changed them once more to cheapen this group.

TD - New York Jets - 4

TD - Houston Texans - 2

I like the Jets as a high risk defense that could make some noise. The Texans and Saints are two teams who's defenses I think will be improved this season and they were cheap.

17 Members: BassNBrew, dancingbones, Robbie Cooper, **** Vermeil, Chaos Commish, aburt19, HALtheCOW, Charley, HellToupee, Panzer, Frank Costanza's Lawyer, jagbag, Modog814, ConstruxBoy, fossdboss, Matt Waldman, s&m

:popcorn:

Waiting to see who he took since Nall wasn't an option.
Already posted it. And I took Leinart. Same player as Nall, really.

What the hell?

QB - Aaron Rodgers - 27

QB - Mark Sanchez - 9

QB - Byron Leftwich - 4

RB - Ray Rice - 21

RB - Wille Parker - 16

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - 8

RB - Michael Bush - 6

RB - James Davis - 2

WR - Calvin Johnson - 40

WR - Anquan Boldin - 31

WR - Chris Henry - 12

WR - Percy Harvin - 5

WR - Sidney Rice - 4

WR - Greg Camarillo - 4

TE - Dallas Clark - 18

TE - Greg Olsen - 15

TE - Chris Baker - 1

K - Ryan Longwell - 3

K - Rian Lindell - 2

K - Jason Hanson - 1

DT - Arizona - 3

DT - Green Bay - 3

QB - Aaron Rodgers - GB/5 - $27 Donovan McNabb - $24

QB - Matt Schaub - HOU/10 - $20 Matt Hasselbeck - $17

2/$47 2/$41

RB - DeAngelo Williams - CAR/4 - $37

RB - Ryan Grant - GB/5 - $24

RB - LeSean McCoy - PHI/4 - $7

RB - Glen Coffee - SF/6 - $2

RB - James Davis - CLE/9 - $2 ADD Justin Forsett $2

RB - Edgerrin James - SEA/7 - $1

6/$73 7/$75

WR - Randy Moss - NE/8 - $42

WR - Devin Hester - CHI/5 - $19

WR - Chris Henry - CIN/8 - $12WR - Eddie Royal - DEN/7 - $26

WR - Derrick Mason - BAL/7 - $9

WR - Percy Harvin - MIN/9 - $5

WR - Hakeem Nicks - NYG/10 - $4

WR - James Jones - GB/5 - $4 Chaz Schilens - OAK/9 - $3

WR - Deon Butler - SEA/7 - $2

8/$97 6/$101

TE - John Carlson - SEA/7 - $11

TE - Jeremy Shockey - NO/5 - $9

2/$20

PK - Josh Brown - STL/9 - $1

PK - Olindo Mare - SEA/7 - $1

PK - Jay Feely - NYJ/9 - $1

PK - Jason Hanson - DET/7 - $1

4/$4

TD - Baltimore Ravens - BAL/7 - $6

TD - Green Bay Packers - GB/5 - $3

2/$9

23/$250
Glad it's locked. Looks like week 5 could be tough but it's still early and 7 could be thin for me.

I find that the more recklessly I fill out my roster and forget it, the better I do. With that in mind:QB - Philip Rivers - 25QB - Joe Flacco - 14QB - Matt Leinart - 4RB - Adrian Peterson - 50RB - Larry Johnson - 20RB - Rashard Mendenhall - 10RB - LeRon McClain - 8RB - Laurence Maroney - 4RB - Kevin Jones - 3RB - Tashard Choice - 2WR - T.J. Houshmandzadeh - 30WR - Lee Evans - 21WR - Chris Henry - 12WR - Miles Austin - 6WR - Nate Burleson - 5WR - Andre Davis - 2WR - Rashied Davis - 2TE - Visanthe Shiancoe - 10TE - Jeremy Shockey - 9PK - Robbie Gould - 2PK - Sebastian Janikowski - 1TD - Baltimore Ravens - 6TD - Miami Dolphins - 3TD - Oakland Raiders - 1
kevin jones is pretty reckless

Users who are viewing this thread