What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL The Leftovers, New HBO show Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Don't expect big answers as Lindelof has been very clear about that.  I wish I could answer @modogg 's questions, but just keep telling yourself the plot doesn't matter.  The departure was just a story mechanism to force everyone in the world to experience life-altering shock & grief and then see all the different reactions unfold. 

As someone who has been very fortunate not to have much experience in grief, I've always been awed by those who've been through it and come out on the other side.  We have great examples of this here on this forum of those who've shown strength & grace under unimaginable circumstances.  This show runs the gamut of human reactions under similar circumstances but also with the religious element included.  Fascinating stuff once you let go of wondering how & why it happened. 
sounds good. I think this is where I went wrong, In that I enjoyed the show better when I sat back and let them tell it. looking for answers is something I wish I could have avoided with this one. nothing wrong with a show like this either if it isn't about telling a complete story, rather just presenting some things from different views. I was ok with not wondering how and why the departure happened, I think I was just trying to figure out where they were driving the story. It seems like the show would have made more sense to end after season 2. Season 3 seems to be putting things out there to justify telling additional components of the story, like the whole episode devoted to Matt on the boat, etc.

I guess for me it wasn't as clear the whole series, it seems like they were trying to do both at different points in the story. But I am in it until the end, and we can see what the episode on Sunday is about before I think I make some sort of ranking of this show in the history of TV. Maybe that is where I have gone wrong too, hearing different TV critics talk about how this was the best show ever, and has eclipsed shows like the Wire and Game of Thrones. but whatevs.....

I will be pleasantly surprised if the ending is good.  It wouldn't shock me if they never really answer any of the big questions either.  Although it would be kind of funny if nothing happens on the 14th and they all end up taking Oceanic Flight 815 back home.

Opening scene of series.

https://youtu.be/x7qDbpnPHpY
Other than what caused the Departure, which I think they've been pretty clear about saying isn't gonna get answered, what big questions are there?  Not questioning you here, legitimately asking for a list.  Off the top of my head:

1. How does Nora end up in that weird convent thing with the birds, denying that she knows someone named Kevin?  Since they set this up this season I'm pretty confident they'll answer that.

2. What exactly was Liv Tyler up to in Season 2?  The bit where she boned the younger Garvey suggests it was more than just the Miracle chaos plot. Entirely possible they answered this already and I forgot it

3. Why does Patti have such a central role in Kevin's afterlife?

4. Why does the God/bronze medalist dude, whom Kevin has presumably never met, also show up in his afterlife?

Other than what caused the Departure, which I think they've been pretty clear about saying isn't gonna get answered, what big questions are there?  Not questioning you here, legitimately asking for a list.  Off the top of my head:

1. How does Nora end up in that weird convent thing with the birds, denying that she knows someone named Kevin?  Since they set this up this season I'm pretty confident they'll answer that.

2. What exactly was Liv Tyler up to in Season 2?  The bit where she boned the younger Garvey suggests it was more than just the Miracle chaos plot. Entirely possible they answered this already and I forgot it

4. Why does the God/bronze medalist dude, whom Kevin has presumably never met, also show up in his afterlife?
Definitely not answering 2-3, doubt 4. I figure the finale will center around 1. 

5. Is it actually the afterlife or not?

6. Is Kevin the only one who can come back from the dead. Why in the 1st 2 seasons was Kevin's father the one who was much more in tune with the after life?

I got tons more questions, but like @regularguy said, I think the point wasn't to explore and tell a complete story.

I'd love to hear more about why this series/season is so good, because i am missing most of this. Like the above, Really feels like a bit of stretch with the bolded above. So is this 3rd season just a summary of the main points of the show? 

Maybe it is how i watched the show too. I watched first 4-5 episodes of season 1 then bailed because i thought it wasn't so good. My wife has been watching so i binged up to season 3 (episode 4 i think) to watch with her. Seems the show is just kind of turned into one of those self-masturbatory things that heads of shows can do from time to time. the whole inside penis jokes with Justin Thoreau pulling his pecker out was just Lindeloff whacking himself out the whole time. 

I am wondering if my problem with the show is i am taking it to serious, and looking for a purpose of the story here. And let me emphasize here, i am not looking for a pissing contest or rain on anybody's parade in here, just hoping someone can help me to enjoy this last episode because the more i think about this 3rd season the more i am thinking it is 1 season too long and basic trash.  A few things i guess to make this more of a purposeful exploration:L

1. So what is the purpose of this whole "God" character that has been in each of his after life experiences?

maybe it IS god, and god is a fraud, or misunderstood. Or maybe, everyone has a voice in their head/gut that tells them what to do when they're in unknown circumstances, and that voice gets the label 'god' in a lot of cultures. It hasn't been answered, and honestly, probably will not. In that, art imitates life. 

2. and i guess with the question above, these are more of "dreams" then any actual after life, right? the times in season 2 when he was in the after-life it felt more like an organic experience and good mix of there being a purpose to it, while also having some self exploration for Kevin. The experience from this season seemed like a total dream, and it seemed not like an experience for Kevin. And if it was a dream idea, he is making up all the answers for everyone back in the "living world". So the whole idea of Kevin being anything special is pretty much bull####? and if that is the case, can others return from the dead with actual experiences like Kevin?

what is the actual afterlife? Is it just a flash of all the memories and experiences that are jumbled up in your head for one last hurrah before you snuff it? Or is there an afterlife? A real other dimension where things are similar because it's what our minds create, but the rules don't really apply? Or is it weirder? Are we just consciousness, popping in and out of existence constantly, occupying multiple dimensions at once, but the pull of the physical body keeps us grounded in this dimension, where our personal narrative becomes our own reality tunnel, but it's not even remotely close to objective truth. It's all just a tale, told by a fool, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing. Again, I don't think they're going to answer this, because, well, in the course of human history, nobody has satisfactorily answered it. I don't think it's what they're trying to do with this show- answer the great questions. They're just telling a story.

3. is the whole idea of the departure a completely different story line? I get what you are saying about the idea of the show how people deal with grief, but i guess i am thinking that the show just seems to jump all over and glaze over this.

one thing that happens with grief, you get a reprieve from your day to day existence. Everybody has stuff that stresses them out every day: bills to pay, somebody driving like an idiot in front of you, I hate my job, my kids are pissing me off, my wife can't put things away properly in the dishwasher, whatever. When you lose someone, all of that becomes meaningless, if only for a short time. You question everything, even the nature of reality. What the departure does, as a story-telling vehicle, is to make that universal and not personal. Even people who didn't lose someone close to them in the Departure were affected by it just because it happened on such a huge scale. It allows for people to question their lives and join cults, or not be too skeptical when dogs start acting crazy and need to be shot, or want to move to a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, Texas. It's seminal to this world and this story, but I don't know that they're going to address the root cause of it. But, that's the thing, again. I don't think they want to try and give answers. I think they want to look at human beings and their reactions to the crazy, illogical, world-shattering loss of a loved one. There are no answers in this world, and there won't be in that one. Still a great story.

I got other questions, and this is intended for anybody who has idea about the show. thanks

ProstheticRGK said:
maybe it IS god, and god is a fraud, or misunderstood. Or maybe, everyone has a voice in their head/gut that tells them what to do when they're in unknown circumstances, and that voice gets the label 'god' in a lot of cultures. It hasn't been answered, and honestly, probably will not. In that, art imitates life. 

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, formatting threw me all off, but i like @ProstheticRGK post. A question i have about the "God" thing is that what he wrote made all sense, but season 3 seems to kind of take it out of that element. I would love to know if Kevin was in the Matt episode and was on the boat would he have seen "God" in real life? i know they were a little mysterious if others saw the guy, or if it was only Matt. The throwing over the boat and getting attacked by the lion would make you think this "God" does exist in the real world too i guess

Again, i am working on re-framing this, but i do go back to what was the point of this? with him on the boat, etc., etc. 

and feel free to ignore this post, i get that i have been watching the show wrong, or at least for not what it was intended. But feel free to answer away too

another one, for fun, not to critique show, but it is interesting to think who could access "Kevin's after life" while still having a presence in the real world? 

1. This "God" character seemed to exist in both worlds

2. Kevin's dad never quite existed in it, but he had the heavy drug episode where he could access it. and he seemed to know about it. Had the voices, so not sure the similarities between Kevin

- everybody else was in either one world or the other right?

Also, those who are enjoying the whole concept of God, and how man comes to this conclusion, may enjoy the show on Staarz "American Gods" I read the book a long time ago, but saw the season premiere and good once Leftovers ends

The show is about loss, and how people deal with it. Those who seek god (Matt) are disappointed, those who hear him (Kevin) are unimpressed. Kevin literally has god talking in his ear via a microphone and he tosses it aside.

The show is about loss, and how people deal with it. Those who seek god (Matt) are disappointed, those who hear him (Kevin) are unimpressed. Kevin literally has god talking in his ear via a microphone and he tosses it aside.
hmm, another intriguing idea. I haven't dealt with a debilitating loss yet, but have had some. More so, my job often deals with children who have lost parents or other ones, for the most part tragically. I think my experience with that does alter how i see the show too. But seeing how i have talked about it enough over the last few pages, i guess it has done better then other shows with getting my old brain churning again

Is this show worth starting?
A resounding yes!  one of the most impressive displays of story telling in a show i have ever watched. as i have said before push through season 1, it can be confusing and it took me a few tries.  But the payoff are seasons 2 and 3 which are outstanding imo.

Much better ending than I had hoped for, but I still don't entirely understand what Kevin's deal is/was. So both he and his dad are just mentally ill and somehow Kevin can breathe underwater? 

Letting go of sin, letting love back in?

Which I'm pretty sure is a peaches and cream deep track.

Didn't love the there and back again element, unless she was bs-ing- in which case #### yeah.

And is it weird that I found old nora hotter than young Nora?

Yeah, i am going to guess my thoughts are probably not in line with a lot of this thread, so i will keep them to myself for now. 3 quick questions

1) What did we catch in the first 48 minutes of that episode?

2) What f'n scientist would figure out how to transfer inter-dimensionally, absolutely breaking all kinds of idea in physics, etc., and not come back to create some sort of growth and admiration for himself? Would it not be selfish to keep this from other people who have had lost one's leave

3) Let's say Nora doesn't knock on the door, but simply sees her 2 kids walk out the door. Does she say anything then? Is this just coincidence that she saw them the fashion she did, and therefore acknowledged they have moved on so she doesn't want to interrupt that? Seems shaky at best

ETA: sorry, so this is a 2-way street? i understand the science doesn't matter to most watchers, but the concept of not letting the population know that their family is not dead seems to be grossly negligent and amoral at best

Yeah, i am going to guess my thoughts are probably not in line with a lot of this thread, so i will keep them to myself for now. 3 quick questions

1) What did we catch in the first 48 minutes of that episode?

2) What f'n scientist would figure out how to transfer inter-dimensionally, absolutely breaking all kinds of idea in physics, etc., and not come back to create some sort of growth and admiration for himself? Would it not be selfish to keep this from other people who have had lost one's leave

3) Let's say Nora doesn't knock on the door, but simply sees her 2 kids walk out the door. Does she say anything then? Is this just coincidence that she saw them the fashion she did, and therefore acknowledged they have moved on so she doesn't want to interrupt that? Seems shaky at best

ETA: sorry, so this is a 2-way street? i understand the science doesn't matter to most watchers, but the concept of not letting the population know that their family is not dead seems to be grossly negligent and amoral at best
First 50 minutes was weird 

I don't think Nora actually went over and she made that story up. 

First 50 minutes was weird 

I don't think Nora actually went over and she made that story up. 
hmm, so she yelled "stop" in the casing and they did? that is interesting. Would make some more sense. if this were the case, i wonder if Kevin knew this (figure he would if he still met with Matt), and said that he trusted her as support. 

Much better ending than I had hoped for, but I still don't entirely understand what Kevin's deal is/was. So both he and his dad are just mentally ill and somehow Kevin can breathe underwater? 
yeah, wondering if the "Kevins" just had pschizophrenia?

Other minor beef, so Lori didn't kill herself and just moved back home? Seems like that episode that was Lori-centric might have been pointless?

Would have been better if they'd have showed the going over and coming back instead of the goat story.
If they showed it, viewers would infer her story was the truth. We didn't see Nora submerged in the machine. We also spent half the episode thinking Kevin was some sort of amnesiac. She could have been BS'ing.

Then again, Kevin died and came back a bunch of times. Maybe she did go to the other side and come back.

I'm confused.

If Nora's story is true their are two parallel worlds.  One lost 98% of their population while the other lost 2%.  Correct?

We started with two worlds of people.  Now their is only one.  Half of the people are missing.  So Nora's children in her world didn't just go to the other world.  They are somewhere else.  

Man, that was ... different than I expected. Lindelhof apparently learned from the backlash of making LOST, and wound up with the Hollywood happy ending. But it was good. This episode was all acting, too. No special effects, no crazy twists, just characters talking. I'd watch Kevin and Nora do a half hour Massengill commercial.

that'll do, goat. That'll do.

hmm, so she yelled "stop" in the casing and they did? that is interesting. Would make some more sense. if this were the case, i wonder if Kevin knew this (figure he would if he still met with Matt), and said that he trusted her as support. 
Did you notice throughout the season all the technology that malfunctioned around Nora?  Not a shocker that it wouldnt work. 

I chose to take Nora's story at face value, but it could easily have been a BS rationalization for bailing at the zero hour. They certainly put a lot of caveats in place that allow you to make that argument, obviously intentionally. 

This is where I'm at.  It was a coping mechanism for her. Matt knew and kept her secret till his death. 

This is where I'm at.  It was a coping mechanism for her. Matt knew and kept her secret till his death. 
I would assume that Laurie is the one who would "maybe" knows one way or the other? 

She claims that it took a long time for her to get back.  She had to travel to her kids, and then track down the scientist and wait for him to build the machine again. I guess I took this to mean that their timelines were similar b/c she said something to Kevin about it being too late when she got back (didn't she?). 

The long and short of that is how long has she been talking to Laurie.  Was it weeks after she supposedly left and she asked her not to tell anyone (the whole Dr./patient thing) or was it several years, and then she got ahold of Laurie and told her the same story - in other words, she came back after Matt's funeral and other events they talked about. 

I'm confused.

If Nora's story is true their are two parallel worlds.  One lost 98% of their population while the other lost 2%.  Correct?

We started with two worlds of people.  Now their is only one.  Half of the people are missing.  So Nora's children in her world didn't just go to the other world.  They are somewhere else.  
I agree on the bolded, but have 0 clue what you are talking about with the last part.

Honestly, I thought we would get more answers to this or maybe about Miracle and be left int he dark as what happened in The Departure. 

what makes the last episode interesting to me is that ambiguity- and also the characters' willingness to move past it.

How can Nora afford that house and land on a pigeon wrangler's salary?
dammit. it pains me that I thought the exact same thing.

3- this bugged me the most about the there and back story-line. she's spent the previous 7 years plus however long it takes her to get to bizarro-land kids morbidly and aggressively pining... but then bails. and if the husband hadn't gotten a new girl-friend, she would've stayed?

didn't like any of that part of the story (other than her needing kevin to believe her), and didn't even think of your ETA- but yeah. sure the kids are in a good place... wouldn't they be happy to hear that everybody's ok (kinda) and still trucking in the other place? but of course, if she sees them and bails- it would be the same thing all over again... so I get her staying hidden... I guess. :loco:  

Users who are viewing this thread