What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL The Leftovers, New HBO show Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I have to say that I was more emotional at the finish of that show more than anything else I’ve seen in a while.   
Yep.  There were actually three times during the show that I burst into tears.  Like, really "burst" into them.  It's not something I've ever done watching another TV show.

Yep.  There were actually three times during the show that I burst into tears.  Like, really "burst" into them.  It's not something I've ever done watching another TV show.
Atypical and After Life hit me with similar feelings during those shows.  

The fight between Kevin and Nora as the hotel room catches fire is still one of the most powerful things I’ve seen on the tv. The final cut of Nora crying on the bed as the water pours on her was masterful. 

The fight between Kevin and Nora as the hotel room catches fire is still one of the most powerful things I’ve seen on the tv. The final cut of Nora crying on the bed as the water pours on her was masterful. 
"Then you should go be with them."  Killed me.

The first time I burst into tears watching the show was at the end of the first season when Nora found the baby on the porch.  After all the wrenching sorrow of the whole season, that bit of hope:  "Look what I found."  

The first time I burst into tears watching the show was at the end of the first season when Nora found the baby on the porch.  After all the wrenching sorrow of the whole season, that bit of hope:  "Look what I found."  
So good. Everybody should watch this show. 

Sounds like I need to check these out.  Netflix?  Prime?  
Completely different type of shows, and if you dont like Mr. Gervais' snark, you wont like the the 2nd one.  I just found both funny, filled with pockets of sweetness, and both provided a couple emotional kicks to the junk.  

ETA: Six Feet Under is another show that comes to find for this topic.  That last episode was masterful and :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've waited years to watch this again, enough time to forget much of it. Started rewatching a little while ago.

It's the best, most powerful series I've ever seen, same as it was the first time. It more than holds up on second viewing. There are so many scenes that just leave you shocked, or incredulous, or just blown away. First season is fairly interesting as the weird events continue happening, and then it hits the "holy ####" level in season 1 episodes 8 and 9 (I think) with the extended scene in the cabin in the woods, with Kevin and Patty and Dogkiller. HFS.

After that each episode has several blow-me-away or shocking  events. It's well-acted, incredibly well-written and produced, and a powerful picture of people in an impossible-to-recover-from situation as things keep deterioating. Impossible for me to look away.

So yeah, I kinda like it.

Based only on reading this topic I've watched this show --- seasons 1 and 2, and the first 4 episodes of season 3 so far.  It's the best show I've seen on television. I'm so critical of what I see on TV that I don't watch much TV. But there are too many diverse people in this topic who were impressed by this show for me to ignore it.

When I sit down to watch an episode I expect to get hit in the head with a shovel. Some of the episodes feel exactly like that --- they're that strong. The first episode when Patty began appearing to Kevin after she died woke me up repeatedly the night after watching. I could not remove it from my mind; I couldn't, that night, turn off the "it's just a show" good sense I'm used to.

Carrie Coon's acting/character  is tremendous, and Theroux's acting/character is even better (probably an unpopular opinion). And the guy who plays Matt Jamison is awfully good too, even though he plays a character that (to me) is entirely unsympathetic. 

Highlight moment of the show, so far, is Kevin Garvey singing Homeward Bound.

4 episodes to go. This show is ####### great.

It's funny, because after I watched the first few episodes, I stopped watching.  Then one of my friends (who has since passed) really encouraged me to watch it, and it ended up being fantastic.  

It's funny, because after I watched the first few episodes, I stopped watching.  Then one of my friends (who has since passed) really encouraged me to watch it, and it ended up being fantastic. 
It's a slow start, yeah. The smoking non-talking cult is weird, but not really "grab you" type weird until you find out one of them was voluntarily tied to a tree and stoned. The season didn't really hit me hard until that cabin scene.

It's a slow start, yeah. The smoking non-talking cult is weird, but not really "grab you" type weird until you find out one of them was voluntarily tied to a tree and stoned. The season didn't really hit me hard until that cabin scene.
Agreed, it took some time to get going. But the second half of S1 and all of S2 and S3 are some of the greatest TV I've ever seen. 

Pip's Invitation said:
Agreed, it took some time to get going. But the second half of S1 and all of S2 and S3 are some of the greatest TV I've ever seen.
I forgot another stunning scene from season 1: Nora hiring people to shoot her.

I'm partway through season 2 now, and last night the conversation between Nora and Erica while asking the checklist questions was riveting. "To the best of your knowledge what is the last thing you said to the departed?"

Tonight Kevin let John's dad kill him before killing himself. That's all. 

Same only i tried like 3 times watching it.  Gave up then pushed through season 1.  Totally worth it and a top 3 show for me.

Best show nobody ever knows about. I talk tv with a bunch of people and I only know one guy who has seen it. And he loved it. 

The people that I trust the most about movies/TV, all have this as one of their top shows of all time.  That was the only reason why I gave it a chance, after I gave up on it a few episodes into Season 1.  I am not sure where I rank it, because it is so different, but The Leftovers was an amazing series.

After a long weekend away we resumed watching season 2.

After Kevin decided not to kill Patty, Patty killed Patty. Then Patty came back to bother Kevin for not killing her, after Kevin had voluntarily been killed and revivied somewhere else where he killed Patty again and met a little girl name Patty, whose husband Kevin killed, before taking little Patty to a well and killing her and then killing adult Patty.

If you followed that you know this show isn't formulaic.

Pretty sure my favorite scene is coming up soon: Kevin singing at karaoke night. That one rips me up.

Best show nobody ever knows about. I talk tv with a bunch of people and I only know one guy who has seen it. And he loved it. 
So weird. Would assume this would be on a must see list for avid tv watchers. 

I consider myself weird for my minority take that season one was clearly the best. But hey, at least I’ve seen it and consider it a great show. 

I consider myself weird for my minority take that season one was clearly the best. But hey, at least I’ve seen it and consider it a great show. 

My wife says the same.  I guess she thinks it went a bit off the rails when they got beyond the book.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Last night: "You pushed a girl into a well but you won't sing", followed by the most unforgettable scene from the first time I watched this series.

The people that I trust the most about movies/TV, all have this as one of their top shows of all time.  That was the only reason why I gave it a chance, after I gave up on it a few episodes into Season 1.  I am not sure where I rank it, because it is so different, but The Leftovers was an amazing series.
I did the same thing and then binged it this past summer.  I’m glad I did.  It’s a series that sticks in your mind well after watching it. 

I wasn't sold the show in general but I was sold on Carrie Coon/Nora.

I still think Season 1, Episode 6, "The Book Of Nora" was the show's best episode. A lot of people give Ann Dowd accolades for her performance, but Paterson Joseph as Wayne was pretty phenomenal. Because his sections of the script are close to impossible to sell without the right tone and body language and the mix of grifter/savior/bored/irritated/sympathetic.

Nora is the answer to the question on what happens to a person when they've been beaten down so raw that all they have left is the ugly truth. She's both hyper realistic ( she says what people think but don't say) and hyper unrealistic ( women without motive weaponized against men simply don't exist )

While it seems counter intuitive, I don't think Nora would have been interested in Kevin if he had not cheated on his first wife.

Nora is clearly a female character written by a man who wrote about the kind of woman that every man doesn't know yet that he absolutely really wants. Men deep down want a woman with a slight masculine edge in the same way that women want a man with a very tiny sliver of a feminine edge.

The hard theme of The Leftovers is about the price of unspoken motives.

I have been meaning to re watch this series. I loved it and I have probably forgotten enough now that it will be awesome again. I am finishing up my re watch of the Sopranos. I followed the podcast Talking Sopranos which was usually one episode a week, and that has been great. I suspect I would get that same feeling re watching The Leftovers.

I am here with you.   Fantastic series overall, but I remember liking S1 the best.  

Did the exact same thing. Glad I didn't give up on it, because the series was brilliant.

Last night we watched the scene at the hotel where Kevin sets the book on fire and tears into Nora. Made me even angrier at him than the first time I watched the series. They'd each been through a day of utter hell, but turning on her like that was ####### horrible.

The episode we watched tonight was more relaxed. A lion ate God.

I consider it my crowning achievement that I recently got my mom (78) and her husband (76) to watch this and to stick with it.  They started watching, after a couple of years of haranguing by me, and it was clear they'd given up (though they didn't admit it until later) because it was "too weird."  It occurred to me that my mom watches a lot of the murder channels and that they were trying to "figure it out," so I told them to give it another try but to set aside any expectations, any attempt to "solve" the mystery, etc.  And they made it all the way through, maybe not totally loving it but at least appreciating it!

It reminded me, though, that I need to watch again.  Can't imagine how much more I might glean when I too am not trying to figure it out but instead letting it wash over me.  There's a good chance I'll deem it the best show I've ever seen upon second watching...it's close right now.

Can't imagine how much more I might glean when I too am not trying to figure it out but instead letting it wash over me.  There's a good chance I'll deem it the best show I've ever seen upon second watching...it's close right now.
It's not a show that can be figured out. I watched the episode tonight where Matt had lost his wife and kid, offered a bunch of cash for an illegal flight to Australia to kidnap Kevin (for religious reasons), ended up on an orgy ship, met God, watched God throw someone overboard, tied God to a wheelchair and hit him with an axe, then was told what he wanted to hear by God and released him, and watched when the ship docked as God got eaten by a lion. That hourlong episode, couple with a 45 minutes of earlier scenes of Matt, would have been a stunning movie.

Yet watching it tonight, I didn't even remember it from the first time around because so many other episodes were more impactful.

It's not a show that can be figured out. I watched the episode tonight where Matt had lost his wife and kid, offered a bunch of cash for an illegal flight to Australia to kidnap Kevin (for religious reasons), ended up on an orgy ship, met God, watched God throw someone overboard, tied God to a wheelchair and hit him with an axe, then was told what he wanted to hear by God and released him, and watched when the ship docked as God got eaten by a lion. That hourlong episode, couple with a 45 minutes of earlier scenes of Matt, would have been a stunning movie.

Yet watching it tonight, I didn't even remember it from the first time around because so many other episodes were more impactful.

Yeah, that sums it up!  Also, Matt might be the best character ever on TV.  The actor's performance certainly is one of the best, too.

FYI- New show on HBO that I think has one or some of the Leftovers writers involved and getting interesting reviews- Station 11.

we watched Ep1 last night...as with the Leftovers, a lot that both pulls you in and keeps you at distance. We probably got too hyperfocused on and distracted by the impossible/unrealistic machinations of a kid actor and strange adult. But as with The Leftovers, came away caring, feeling and impressed with the story telling, acting and visuals. Be forewarned- based on a book about a viral apocalypse...sim to covid, but obviously worse.

Just finished Season 1. It does plod along a bit through the first seven episodes - they're good, just not great.

Then, after the last three episodes turn it all up to 11, you realize the creators are just playing the Long Game with you. You've been put into the shoes of Leftovers and been lulled to sleep a bit. But then you're reminded...

If it gets even better from here, I'm excited.

(The final three episodes gave me the same "holy cow, that was good" feeling that the episode "The Constant" from Lost did. Not surprising considering Lindelof's involvement.)

Just finished Season 1. It does plod along a bit through the first seven episodes - they're good, just not great.

Then, after the last three episodes turn it all up to 11, you realize the creators are just playing the Long Game with you. You've been put into the shoes of Leftovers and been lulled to sleep a bit. But then you're reminded...

(The final three episodes gave me the same "holy cow, that was good" feeling that the episode "The Constant" from Lost did. Not surprising considering Lindelof's involvement.)
Seasons 2 and 3 are among the best seasons of any show I’ve ever seen. Enjoy the ride.

Seasons 2 and 3 are among the best seasons of any show I’ve ever seen. Enjoy the ride.
I see I’m still in the minority that thinks season one was the best season (to be clear, all were great).

I consider it my crowning achievement that I recently got my mom (78) and her husband (76) to watch this and to stick with it. They started watching, after a couple of years of haranguing by me, and it was clear they'd given up (though they didn't admit it until later) because it was "too weird."

It reminded me, though, that I need to watch again. Can't imagine how much more I might glean when I too am not trying to figure it out but instead letting it wash over me. There's a good chance I'll deem it the best show I've ever seen upon second watching...it's close right now.
Best ever? That’s high praise.

The Wire is still and likely forever will be #1 for me but The Leftovers is top 5.

I consider it my crowning achievement that I recently got my mom (78) and her husband (76) to watch this and to stick with it. They started watching, after a couple of years of haranguing by me, and it was clear they'd given up (though they didn't admit it until later) because it was "too weird."

It reminded me, though, that I need to watch again. Can't imagine how much more I might glean when I too am not trying to figure it out but instead letting it wash over me. There's a good chance I'll deem it the best show I've ever seen upon second watching...it's close right now.

The Wire is still and likely forever will be #1 for me but The Leftovers is top 5.

I never did a re-watch, and it was only if I re-watched that I thought I might deem it best ever. Until I do, The Wire remains #1 for me as well.

As for the debate on the best season of this show, I choose...all three. :)

Reactions: Zow

Leftovers at least I stuck through till the end, not something I can say about The Wire.

Thought it was really good. Do not have it my top tier like a lot of you though. One benefit of the pandemic was being able to binge shows like this.

And another thing...

To state the obvious...Carrie Coon is a fantastic actress.

Justin Theroux isn't too bad either.
I thought both Coon and Theroux were great in this series. To me the most memorable scenes in the series were
- Kevin Garvey singing Homeward Bound at the karaoke bar
- the scene at the bottom of the well
- the final scene where they've found each other

Those were some tortured scenes and he was in all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread