What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One Word Title/Alphabet Mixtape Draft (1 Viewer)

Thanks! Do you have mediafire loaded on your computer?
It's just a website that you can upload files to for sharing. It's not a separate program.
I am horrible at this. Sorry, my apologies. From the link I can download the files - they open in a media player and start playing. I would be happy to do whatever needs to be done to get you guys access ...don't have a clue.
This is the page that your link goes to Binky playlist

It looks like you uploaded a windows media player playlist file, not all of the individual files for each song. the download and play works for you because you already have all the songs on your playlist.

For us to listen to it you have to upload all 22 mp3s. The easiest way is to select them all, right click, select add to archive (zip or rar or?) then upload that single file that includes all of the songs on your playlist.
Tks! I will give it a go this evening. :bag:

Jzilla:

This mix was a great blend of 90s/college blast from the pasts that I haven't heard in years mixed with stuff I was not familiar with. Loved hearing the Belly, James, Sponge and Helmet songs. Couple songs went a little long, but I usually zilla's drafts are right in my wheelhouse, and I don't think there was a single track on here that I didn't like.

Favorite new tracks:

Careful - Sebadoh

Helicopter - Bloc Party

Stutter - Elastica

Binky:

Was really looking forward to before I was born mix ;) . I was more familiar with the tracks than I was expecting, but it was a great blend of tracks. I have tried a few times, and I can hear wikkid's head exploding too, but I still can't get into Procol Harum. I think that was the only track that I didn't gel with on this one. Forgot how great tracks like I'm Eighteen, Think, and Badge are. My favorite new ones:

Heartbreaker - Grand Funk Railroad

Rainmaker - Traffic

Doctor - Wishbone Ash

Binky:

Was really looking forward to before I was born mix ;) . I was more familiar with the tracks than I was expecting, but it was a great blend of tracks. I have tried a few times, and I can hear wikkid's head exploding too, but I still can't get into Procol Harum. I think that was the only track that I didn't gel with on this one. Forgot how great tracks like I'm Eighteen, Think, and Badge are. My favorite new ones:

Heartbreaker - Grand Funk Railroad

Rainmaker - Traffic

Doctor - Wishbone Ash
Tks KP! I still plan on getting the full mix on mediafire too.

Grand Funk doesn't get their due. Love'em. Fire up their live album "Caught in the Act".

Rainmaker ...off of Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - one of the best albums ever.

Wishbone Ash - not nearly as good as Mott but another group that gets lost over the years.

<p>

Idea for future :nerd: draft

Genesis draft (the book, not the band)

Day 1 songs about Day & Night (2)

Day 2 songs about Heaven & Earth (2)

Day 3 songs about Land & Sea (2)

Day 4 songs about Sun & Stars (2)

Day 5 songs about Fish, Birds & Insects (pick 2)

Day 6 songs about Animals & Humans (2)

Day 7 song about rest/sleep (1)

13 song mixes with wide open thematic categories.
:wub: no songs about war/peace? rest of the old-testament, I guess.
Exodus draft (the book, not the band)

Songs about...

• Water
  • Blood
  • Frogs
  • Lice
  • Flies
  • Dead cattle
  • Boils
  • Thunder
  • Storms
  • Locusts
  • Darkness
  • Death
nice- finally a metal draft!
So, we had these ideas, the long song draft, the six degrees draft, any strong opinions? I have some unexpected downtime during the day for the next little bit (job = :sadbanana: ), and am already going a bit crazy listening to sports talk radio.

<p>

Songs about...

• Water
  • Blood
  • Frogs
  • Lice
  • Flies
  • Dead cattle
  • Boils
  • Thunder
  • Storms
  • Locusts
  • Darkness
  • Death
So, we had these ideas, the long song draft, the six degrees draft, any strong opinions? I have some unexpected downtime during the day for the next little bit (job = :sadbanana: ), and am already going a bit crazy listening to sports talk radio.
We just did letters, how about numbers (songs with numbers in title - either spelled out or in number form)? You don't have to pick every single number, but the playlist is in numerical order.

Yo Mama said:
Northern Voice said:
<p>

Songs about...

• Water
  • Blood
  • Frogs
  • Lice
  • Flies
  • Dead cattle
  • Boils
  • Thunder
  • Storms
  • Locusts
  • Darkness
  • Death
We just did letters, how about numbers (songs with numbers in title - either spelled out or in number form)? You don't have to pick every single number, but the playlist is in numerical order.
Starting with each number? 0-9? Years could count as 1 or 2.

Yo Mama said:
Northern Voice said:
<p>

Songs about...

• Water
  • Blood
  • Frogs
  • Lice
  • Flies
  • Dead cattle
  • Boils
  • Thunder
  • Storms
  • Locusts
  • Darkness
  • Death
I was just thinking containing the number, not necessarily starting with it, so a song with the year 1900 in the title would count as one thousand nine hundred. Just what I was thinking though.

Yo Mama said:
Northern Voice said:
<p>

Songs about...

• Water
  • Blood
  • Frogs
  • Lice
  • Flies
  • Dead cattle
  • Boils
  • Thunder
  • Storms
  • Locusts
  • Darkness
  • Death
I was just thinking containing the number, not necessarily starting with it, so a song with the year 1900 in the title would count as one thousand nine hundred. Just what I was thinking though.
Whatever, but just do one of each number, 0-9. '1999' would be 1 or "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" would be a 4.

1.01 - Every song from "The Body, The Blood, The Machine"

I'll grab this one before heading to work. This sounds like it could be the likely closer to my mix:

10.xx: BEN FOLDS FIVE -

For some rason neither piano based rock songs, or power pop are cool. Which is dumb because some of the best songs ever are piano based rock songs (Elton John when he didn't suck, "The Way We Get By") and power pop is pretty much the best gener ever (big choruses, catchy as hell, big guitars, lo\ds of hooks, what teh hell more do you want)?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
14.xx NYC - Interpol
As time has past, I think ythis is now my favourite Interpol song, jumpong ahead of PDF and Obstale 2 (or Obstabcle 1) whatever one it s I love.

They have a new album coming out, does anyone care?

NEW YORK CARES
I know this is shtick, but they just played where I lived.

Not many people cared, really. :(

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/interpol/2014/toads-place-new-haven-ct-43c037b3.html
I love Interpol, first two albums are awesome, hope they come out with more simialr, would see them live in a second.

14.xx NYC - Interpol
As time has past, I think ythis is now my favourite Interpol song, jumpong ahead of PDF and Obstale 2 (or Obstabcle 1) whatever one it s I love.

They have a new album coming out, does anyone care?

NEW YORK CARES
I know this is shtick, but they just played where I lived.

Not many people cared, really. :(

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/interpol/2014/toads-place-new-haven-ct-43c037b3.html
I love Interpol, first two albums are awesome, hope they come out with more simialr, would see them live in a second.
I do, too. I think I would have seen them if I hadn't just been to a show and wasn't getting too old with limited entertainment options. It was still two hours from where I lived.

I also liked Our Love To Admire. Had to choose between them and Modest Mouse in Wallingford, CT, and New Haven, CT back in the Summer of '10. Not a fun choice.

eta* Same day, literally. Caught the Modest Mouse show and then saw Kurt Vile upstairs after-show at Toad's in NH. Best I could do.

People who are updating the google doc themselves - if you enter the picks on the "draft order" tab (rather than the alpha order tab - not sure why there are two), it will autopopulate in the tab with your name on it
Where is the document?
Post 283 on page 6 for now.

Here is the Google Doc. Please be gentle, this is my first time trying something like this.
I'm thinking of the Ricky Gervais bit about all the king's horses trying to fix Humpty Dumpty. ####### hooves..., ####.
So, on Ricky Gervias,,, I like the UK Office. He seems cool hosting stuff. I like an Idiot |Abroad... I have an handiacpped brother and am sensitive to things that are be insenstive to people with disabilities, Derek, without me wathcing it but seeing promos, etc.. seems incredibly offensive. But I liek Gervais, and some sayu he comes to it with a good heart... other say offensive to people with disabilities and also the elderly... thoughts?

i bought tickets tonight to go see DJ Jazzy Jeff next week for a 90s dance night at a local cub. Not a drunk decison despite my drunkenness... 7 other friends in for it as well, should be completley ridiculously awesome.

I was bitter when this was taken. I wanted so bad to unleash on everyone the true greatest Phoenix song, which is "Armistice"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfTDdqhMocU

When the lights are coming out

And I come down in your room

Our daily compromise, it is

Written in your signed armistice
Fallin' out, he's in a rush, fallin' out, he's goin in, fallin out, he's in a rush

Keep your promises

Fallin' out, he's in a rush, fallin' out, he's goin in, fallin out he's in a rush

How come the list just posted in the GoT thread of people posting in the "read the books" thread, lines up so closely with the people who participate in the yearly album thread... KP/Ilv80s/Abrantes/TU/BikeSeatSniifer/UrukHai/jdoggydogfg/NickVermiel/Fiddles/moops/AcerFC... is there that much crossiver between music nerdery and bokk nerdery?

They have a couple great one word songs and was deciding between this letter and another that would be hard to fill. Looking at what I wanted to do with the rest of the draft, this one fit a little better:

SMASHING PUMPKINS - QUIET
In hindsight, this is a strange choice IMO, I get it from scarcity but this band has Today/Drown/Disarm/Zero/Soma/Mayonaise... which are all IMO better

2.01 "Zombie" - The Cranberries

Was never a big fan of the grungy/moody chick ‘90s alternative scene, but I always thought this was a really interesting, cool tune.
What's in your head

In your head.

Zombie, zombie, zombie

Dolores O'Riordan has a cottage about 30 mins north of me, she shows up in town and does stuff sometimes.

2.01 "Zombie" - The Cranberries

Was never a big fan of the grungy/moody chick ‘90s alternative scene, but I always thought this was a really interesting, cool tune.
What's in your head

In your head.

Zombie, zombie, zombie

Dolores O'Riordan has a cottage about 30 mins north of me, she shows up in town and does stuff sometimes.
How's she lookin these days?
Still would.
Would she?

I mean, she's a bit of a go'er ...eh, eh?

They have a couple great one word songs and was deciding between this letter and another that would be hard to fill. Looking at what I wanted to do with the rest of the draft, this one fit a little better:

SMASHING PUMPKINS -

honestly? I didn't think hard enough at the start. quiet is a fave off the album, but didn't think much past zero and quiet to knock out a letter I didn't want to deal with.

if that wasn't a factor, something off of gish would have been chosen. completely forgot about drown until late in the draft, but the end of the song lasts too long and that probably would have needed to be a closer to a mix.

How come the list just posted in the GoT thread of people posting in the "read the books" thread, lines up so closely with the people who participate in the yearly album thread... KP/Ilv80s/Abrantes/TU/BikeSeatSniifer/UrukHai/jdoggydogfg/NickVermiel/Fiddles/moops/AcerFC... is there that much crossiver between music nerdery and bokk nerdery?
I found it funny that moops was on the list but is one that flies off the handle about book readers posting. I assume those posts were before the big fight that split the thread?

not so much as crossover of nerdery, as crossover of awesomeness!

I know we haven't done one for a bit, and haven't done the other ideas that we have kicked around, but I came up with another draft idea that would be topical soon and I think fairly easy to execute.

Back to School Mixtape Draft

Anyway, we draft categories that are a class and are tasked with putting together a 12-15 song "syllabus". Easy enough: we have categories like Anatomy, History, Phy Ed, Geography, Psychology, Math, etc.. and we have to draft songs for that category. We could either do one song of each, or have each drafter be a teacher and put together their mix from one class. I like the 2nd option, but we would need more drafters than we have been getting to pull it off I think. Would be fun to do another more like the mystery category mix. For example if there are 24 of us, we could just decide on the 8 categories we like best and randomize so 3 drafters would be doing the same thing. That way there would be a least a little of a battle over songs.

Thoughts?

I like it.

Of you can do it so once a class gets drafted 3 times, the class is "full" and nobody else can select from that category.

I like it.

Of you can do it so once a class gets drafted 3 times, the class is "full" and nobody else can select from that category.
That is a good idea. It might work best if the draft has limited rounds or drafters. Might be hard to find tons of class categories that would be fillable with songs.

I like it.

That is a good idea. It might work best if the draft has limited rounds or drafters. Might be hard to find tons of class categories that would be fillable with songs.
I am sure we are creative enough for categories. Home Ec

Shop class

current events

psychology

astronomy

religion

sex ed

we are usually pretty easy going with categories and what counts for them.

I like it.

I am sure we are creative enough for categories.Home Ec

Shop class

current events

psychology

astronomy

religion

sex ed

we are usually pretty easy going with categories and what counts for them.
History

Geography

Drama

Foreign Language

Computers

Art

Users who are viewing this thread