What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pokemon Go (2 Viewers)

as far as I know, it's all about locale as opposed to friends.  I could be wrong but I don't think it's like CoC where you can start a team from around the world.  It's a local thing.  That's kinda the whole point of the game with the GPS/maps overlay and what not.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 
So what are the "Teams"?

Downloaded. Will open tomorrow with kids so they see what its it's about. 

How many did Riley catch shady
I honestly wouldn't trust myself catching pokemon with her. Dont wanna walk into traffic with her stroller. Tomorrow Justin and I are gonna go out again to catch some more. He holds the phone, I hold his hand and watch where we are going.

My son - " Dad, this is so cool"

Me- "No way kid, you're the one who got me addicted to Clas of Clans!"

Son - " But dad, this is Really cool!"

Me- " No way, I am not doing.... Whoa- I just caught a Sqirtle on the back porch!!!"

:bag:
You realize that everyone gets the starting pokemon wherever they start playing, right?

None of my devices will run this app.  Probably saving me a lot of headaches.

Until my wife gets really into it and makes me upgrade my phone.

Caught a Bulbasaur on my living room area rug. And this whole time I've been blaming my dog for peeing on it.
Caught this one too. Apparently there are a few in my neighbors' back yards. They would mind if I was helping rid them of some pests right?

Just downloaded the app for my 9 year old. I didn't think there would be much to do because we live in a very small town.  He has already captured a couple and is planning on riding his bike to go get more and go to a gym? Guess I win be seeing my phone for awhile, but at least he is going out and about to explore. 

I'm going to lose my job thanks to this game...

That said, I've walked 3 miles today.

Invest in a few incense and talk a walk.
When you hit a Pokestop, it refreshes every 5 minutes, so hang out for a few.
I tried battling a gym today and got #### on.  2 kids half my age showed up as I was walking away and I felt really ashamed. 

Probably going to light the incense and go walk another 2 miles here shortly.

If you go to a mall, or something like that, there are gyms/pokestops everywhere.  These places are going to be madness with kids (*cough* adults) playing this in the near future. 

What Is…

Tapping the Map--Zoom: Tap the map once to display a blue circle, from the circle quickly drag a line top top to bottom to zoom in, and left to right to zoom out the screen. You can also zoom in and out with a two finger gesture of pinching (like most cell phones)

Grass Shaking: A Pokemon may or may not reside there. Higher chances of encountering a wild Pokemon

Swiveling White PokeBall Icon (Top Left Corner): It means content is loading.

Battery Saver Option: When the app is open and the phone unlocked, the screen will turn black if the phone is idle or laying down. You can still receive alerts.

Pokemon Tab: Shows you wild Pokemon in your vicinity. Select the Pokemon you wish to encounter, and it makes it easier for you to hunt for it.

Footprint Next to Pokemon Tab: Let’s you know the proximity of a wild Pokemon. The closer you get the less footprints there are.

Color of the Ring When Catching a Pokemon: Refers to the difficulty of catching the Pokemon. Green = Easy, Yellow = Moderate, Red = Difficult.

CP = Combat Power: "Each individual Pokémon is assigned CP at capture, which indicates how well that particular Pokémon will perform in battle. As you gain XP and become a higher level Trainer, the CP of the Pokémon you capture will generally be higher."

Stardust: Used to level up your Pokemon. Is acquired through capturing any Pokemon. You can also obtain it daily by being in control of a gym.

Candy: Used to evolve and level up your Pokemon. Is acquired through capturing the same Pokemon. Candy is also obtained through hatching eggs.

Where can I get…

Eggs: Pokestops. Use an incubator to hatch it.

Lucky Eggs Can be purchased in the shop.

Coins: Purchase at the shop, having a Pokemon defend a gym for a certain amount of time (Defender bonus in shop, top right icon, 21 hour refresh)

IN-GAME Questions

How to Join a Team: Reach level 5 then visit a gym.

Leveling/Evolving a Pokemon: Capture the same type Pokemon to earn Stardust and Candy. Each Pokemon require different amounts of Stardust and Candy to either level up or evolve. Transferring Pokemon to the Professor will earn you one candy. You can view how much Stardust or Candy required by viewing your caught Pokemon.

Transferring Pokemon You can transfer your caught Pokemon to Professor by selecting the Pokemon, scrolling down in its bio and selecting TRANSFER. You will gain one candy for transferring. You cannot get your Pokemon back once it is transferred. Transferring multiples of the same Pokemon will not delete the stardust or candies collected for that specific Pokemon.

How do eggs works?: You can collect eggs at Pokestops. They are stored under your “caught Pokemon” screen (swipe to the right). Eggs can be placed in an incubator by selecting the one you would like to hatch. The distance needed to travel to hatch an egg is under each egg (e.g. 0km/5km or 0km/10km). Once in an incubator, walk around, and it will hatch once you meet the distance quota. Candy is also obtained by hatching eggs.

Eevee Evolution: Eevee evolution is selected at random.

Friends List--Chat: Is not currently a feature.

Does the app have to be open?: Yes, the app must be open to remain active and notify you of events.

Why do I have to sign back in?: The servers went down. Everyone was logged out.

What is the timeout for a Pokestop?: ~5 min

TIP I went past my local zoo earlier and it was chock-full of Pokestops and Pokemon. Generally speaking, travel to locations where there are community parks, art, or buildings (i.e. places of interest)

Useful links:

The actual correct way to catch a Pokemon by /u/TheColorlessPill

Known bugs:

Info from /u/red157 and /u/connorcook13

• When battling a gym Pokemon of an opposing team it can sometimes be impossible to beat. When you close down and reopen game all your Pokemon are revived and returned to full health.
  • Game sometimes freezes upon catching a Pokemon. Restart and you can have another go.
  • On the walking around screen, sometimes the white Pokeball icon in the top left spins for eternity not letting you look around or tap any icons.

Walked around 45 minutes, went to two Pokestops, and caught 5 pokemon. Fun and you are walking around outside. I can normally barely get my son to leave the house before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was walking around my neighborhood with my son trying to catch pokemon when we crossed paths with two more people also trying to catch pokemon. Lol

Mark my words, this well eventually lead to someone's death.
Neighbor girl just wiped out riding her bicycle while playing.  She's OK, but, yes, someone is going down...

Holy crap this game is amazing. All weekend I've been meeting up with a couple friends and just traversing Dallas for hours at a time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm too old and my son is too young to have ever seen Pokemon, have no idea what they are or do.  But we had fun walking around the neighborhood looking for them last night.  He holds the phone and looks for them, I hold his hand and make sure he doesn't wander into traffic. :shrug:  

I can honestly say I have never seen anything take off like this ever. I dropped my 16 year old off at church and the church was a Pokestop, so naturally I had to get that and then the park down the street from us was one too, so as I am driving by there, it was a steady stream of cars going in this little park, people jumping out and tapping their phones and then driving away.

The fire station by us is a battle gym with this big 300+CP Bull-like thing. I am sure the firemen are going to be thrilled with all the cars parked around their station.

I've had my most fun driving around my neighborhood after the bar closed last night.

Since this game is about volume, the trick is to speed things up a bit. ;)

Haven't spent much time on the game yet, planning to head out this afternoon and actually go to a shop, maybe the gym, etc.

It does make me curious, how do you submit locations in your town to be used as shops?

All this buzz about this game had me intrigued, so I downloaded it.  Interesting concept, but throwing the balls at the things is kind of weird.  Sometimes i flick the ball right at the little creatures and don't catch it.  wtf?  Does it have to be above the thing or something?

Also, do you battle or something with them?  Maybe that's what the gyms are for...  And what is the "transfer" to professor crap all about.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/10/pokemon-go-armed-robbers-dead-body?CMP=twt_gu

Pokémon Go: armed robbers use game to lure players into trap

Armed robbers used the game Pokémon Go to lure victims to an isolated trap in Missouri, police reported on Sunday.

At about 2am in O’Fallon, Missouri, officers responded to a robbery report that led them to four people, all local residents aged 16 to 18, in a black BMW in a CVS parking lot. The occupants tried to discard a handgun out of the car when an officer approached, said Sgt Bill Stringer. The officer then identified the four people as suspects of similar armed robberies described in St Louis and St Charles counties.

Stringer added that police believe the suspects used the phone app, which directs users to capture imaginary creatures superimposed onto the real world, to tempt players into secluded areas where they could be easily robbed. At a certain level in the game, he noted, players can congregate at local landmarks to join teams and battle.

“Using the geolocation feature,” Stringer said, “the robbers were able to anticipate the location and level of seclusion of unwitting victims.”

In a separate statement, a department spokesperson added: “you can add a beacon to a pokestop to lure more players. Apparently they were using the app to locate [people] standing around in the middle of a parking lot or whatever other location they were in.”

A statement from police quoted from a news article to explain the allure of the game: “Seeing a Pikachu on the sidewalk in front of you is a fan’s digital dream come true.”

The department added a warning, however. “If you use this app (or other similar type apps) or have children that do we ask you to please use caution when alerting strangers of your future location.”

Pokémon Go warns players to keep aware of their surroundings during their virtual treasure hunt, but after only a few days since its release it has already led people into a string of bizarre incidents. People have ended up in hospitals after chasing nonexistent animals into hazardous spots, and schools, a state agency and Australian police have warned people not to break the law or endanger themselves while “Pokemoning”. The game has also led wanderers to at least one home misidentified as a church, a venue the app considers a public space. [...]

All this buzz about this game had me intrigued, so I downloaded it.  Interesting concept, but throwing the balls at the things is kind of weird.  Sometimes i flick the ball right at the little creatures and don't catch it.  wtf?  Does it have to be above the thing or something?

Also, do you battle or something with them?  Maybe that's what the gyms are for...  And what is the "transfer" to professor crap all about.
Say you have a squirtle and then catch another squirtle, you can transfer that second squirtle to the professor for one "squirtle candy." Those candies can be used to level up and/or evolve the pokemon.

Say you have a squirtle and then catch another squirtle, you can transfer that second squirtle to the professor for one "squirtle candy." Those candies can be used to level up and/or evolve the pokemon.
Dammit. I just walked by a wild one I already had and just avoided it cause I thought it would be useless. 

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/10/pokemon-go-armed-robbers-dead-body?CMP=twt_gu

Pokémon Go: armed robbers use game to lure players into trap

Armed robbers used the game Pokémon Go to lure victims to an isolated trap in Missouri, police reported on Sunday.

At about 2am in O’Fallon, Missouri, officers responded to a robbery report that led them to four people, all local residents aged 16 to 18, in a black BMW in a CVS parking lot. The occupants tried to discard a handgun out of the car when an officer approached, said Sgt Bill Stringer. The officer then identified the four people as suspects of similar armed robberies described in St Louis and St Charles counties.

Stringer added that police believe the suspects used the phone app, which directs users to capture imaginary creatures superimposed onto the real world, to tempt players into secluded areas where they could be easily robbed. At a certain level in the game, he noted, players can congregate at local landmarks to join teams and battle.

“Using the geolocation feature,” Stringer said, “the robbers were able to anticipate the location and level of seclusion of unwitting victims.”

In a separate statement, a department spokesperson added: “you can add a beacon to a pokestop to lure more players. Apparently they were using the app to locate [people] standing around in the middle of a parking lot or whatever other location they were in.”

A statement from police quoted from a news article to explain the allure of the game: “Seeing a Pikachu on the sidewalk in front of you is a fan’s digital dream come true.”

The department added a warning, however. “If you use this app (or other similar type apps) or have children that do we ask you to please use caution when alerting strangers of your future location.”

Pokémon Go warns players to keep aware of their surroundings during their virtual treasure hunt, but after only a few days since its release it has already led people into a string of bizarre incidents. People have ended up in hospitals after chasing nonexistent animals into hazardous spots, and schools, a state agency and Australian police have warned people not to break the law or endanger themselves while “Pokemoning”. The game has also led wanderers to at least one home misidentified as a church, a venue the app considers a public space. [...]
Well that didn't take long. 

Dammit. I just walked by a wild one I already had and just avoided it cause I thought it would be useless. 
Yeah, my understanding is that it's beneficial to catch any pokemon you come across. You get 3 candy and some stardust whenever you catch one, and then another candy if you transfer it. Both stardust and candies are needed to level up your pokemon. 

Users who are viewing this thread