What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pokemon Go (3 Viewers)

Say you have a squirtle and then catch another squirtle, you can transfer that second squirtle to the professor for one "squirtle candy." Those candies can be used to level up and/or evolve the pokemon.
The problem with squirtle candies is that they seem to invite gambits akin to Barnwell's corollary -- a maneuver that Conan Wojnarowski warned of in the context of certain Nabokov's Teacup variations. In confronting the professor, I prefer a more defensive posture along the lines of:

1 5 7

Last edited by a moderator:
bud29 said:
Say you have a squirtle and then catch another squirtle, you can transfer that second squirtle to the professor for one "squirtle candy." Those candies can be used to level up and/or evolve the pokemon.
So if I have multiples I should transfer?  For example, I have a pidgy 40, 25, and two 10's.  should i transfer one of the 10's?  How do you level up/ evolve?

So if I have multiples I should transfer?  For example, I have a pidgy 40, 25, and two 10's.  should i transfer one of the 10's?  How do you level up/ evolve?
Personally I like to transfer the weaker of any duplicates I get (unless I get a duplicate of a rare/strong one), so then I can put those candies towards leveling up and evolving the strongest one.

When you go to the list of your pokemon, if you select one, there should be buttons to power up and evolve. The transfer button is at the very bottom.

I'm working in the Times Square area today and just went to check on my car during a break. I saw about a dozen people/groups doing this. That's pretty crazy. 

I think it's great. Walked about five miles today catching Pokemon and meeting other people playing the game.

It's a game that gets couch potato, anti-social video gamers outside and socializing, and actually making said gamers want to get out more to play. It's a modern day miracle.

I think it's great. Walked about five miles today catching Pokemon and meeting other people playing the game.

It's a game that gets couch potato, anti-social video gamers outside and socializing, and actually making said gamers want to get out more to play. It's a modern day miracle.
No doubt.  The jokes write themselves,  and I'm sure some bad will come of this,  but in general,  people walking around seems good. 

I hate you all. I had no intention of downloading this until reading this thread. My 7 year old and I then spent 2.5 hours walking around our town looking for digital pets. I can already feel the addiction kicking in.

I'm outside grilling dinner right and trying to decide if I have time to wander around the neighborhood to find the freaking Pikachu that is 3 paws away...

Kids and I were out for an hour. Hit about 15 pokestops and captured 5-8. We hit 5 gyms but couldn't get into any bc we are not level 5. 

Kids are already planning DC pokestops when we go there on Thursday

Outside of playing with my kids and having fun hanging with them, I dont get the allure. We passed 10 groups of 3-6 people all playing. Lolz

So about 50 people playing where we were. 

My daughter is 6 and we're having a lot of fun with it.  We met a couple of high school kids at our "gym" which is really just a strip mall that's in walking distance from our house.  We talked about what we found so far - and my daughter is super excited to talk about Pokemon with anyone.  They seemed nice enough.

Then later that day I was out with my wife while my sister in law watched the kids.  We have a water tower near our backyard which is a Pokestop.  I guess my daughter convinced the SIL to unleash a pokemon lure on the watertower. The lure essentially makes a bunch of pokemon spawn at that location for a while.  So on my way back I see a bunch of those same kids smoking up by the water tower with their iphones out.   :lmao:

I'd probably doing the exact same thing at their age.

There's one of those stops at the park right around the corner from my house, and I've seen more people there today than I have in the last six months.  Crazy.

Edit: I can see how it's so addictive though.  I never even saw Pokemon but I like the game mechanic of walking around and collecting ####.  I think I'm going to just tell my 5 year old that we found them all and the game's over. 

I woke up to Charizard sleeping next to me.  Did a double-take...Is that my wife?  No it's definitely Charizard.  Up to 5 pokemon now without too much effort

John Bender said:
I'm going to lose my job thanks to this game...

That said, I've walked 3 miles today.

Invest in a few incense and talk a walk.
When you hit a Pokestop, it refreshes every 5 minutes, so hang out for a few.
I tried battling a gym today and got #### on.  2 kids half my age showed up as I was walking away and I felt really ashamed. 

Probably going to light the incense and go walk another 2 miles here shortly.

If you go to a mall, or something like that, there are gyms/pokestops everywhere.  These places are going to be madness with kids (*cough* adults) playing this in the near future. 
Before starting the game, I thought that "burning the incense" meant you were smoking a J while playing Pokemon.

Yeah, this won't end well.... (kid walking into traffic, rapes, murders, etc.).

Sell high if you own Nintendo stock.

You cant lure kids anywhere because you can't set up a location to where kids are going to flock towards.  The locations were stolen from another game by the Niantic company called ingress.

Can you hang out at a place that's already known as a Pokemon hot spot?  Sure, but if you're a pedophile looking for something like that, there's no difference between that or hanging out at Little League fields for the past 20 years.

The entire argument is ridiculous. Bad #### will happen due to trying to catch #### on private property or in traffic (Pickles was spot on with the Texas or Florida thing), not because pedos are waiting in the Chik Fil A parking lot at the hedge turned into a cow.  Just stop.  

I was a little old for the pokemon generation so all of this is completely new to me.  Did pokemon start out as a video game on Nintendo?  I think I may be  Mixing it up with Kirby.  I recall a cartoon, and cards, but I have no idea where this franchise began.  Can someone give me a brief pokemon run down please.

I was a little old for the pokemon generation so all of this is completely new to me.  Did pokemon start out as a video game on Nintendo?  I think I may be  Mixing it up with Kirby.  I recall a cartoon, and cards, but I have no idea where this franchise began.  Can someone give me a brief pokemon run down please.
Gameboy games first then Anime TV show.  Then movie(s) and trading card game.

You cant lure kids anywhere because you can't set up a location to where kids are going to flock towards.  The locations were stolen from another game by the Niantic company called ingress.

Can you hang out at a place that's already known as a Pokemon hot spot?  Sure, but if you're a pedophile looking for something like that, there's no difference between that or hanging out at Little League fields for the past 20 years.

The entire argument is ridiculous. Bad #### will happen due to trying to catch #### on private property or in traffic (Pickles was spot on with the Texas or Florida thing), not because pedos are waiting in the Chik Fil A parking lot at the hedge turned into a cow.  Just stop.  
So the news story of how armed robbers set up a "hot spot" in Missouri  and robbed people is bs :confused:

Frustrating as hell with the registration servers being down since Friday night so we can't register for an account to sign up and login.

So the news story of how armed robbers set up a "hot spot" in Missouri  and robbed people is bs :confused:
They didn't "set up" a hot spot.  The hot spot already exists.  users don't have the power to set one up at this stage.  They hung out at a pre-existing "hot spot" and robbed people.  Which fits my analogy of just hanging out at a Little League field in 1985 if you're a pedo.

They didn't "set up" a hot spot.  The hot spot already exists.  users don't have the power to set one up at this stage.  They hung out at a pre-existing "hot spot" and robbed people.  Which fits my analogy of just hanging out at a Little League field in 1985 if you're a pedo.
:shrug: the story read like there was a way to setup locations.. if not guess I read it wrong :shrug:

:shrug: the story read like there was a way to setup locations.. if not guess I read it wrong :shrug:
From the article

"“Using the geolocation feature,” Stringer said, “the robbers were able to anticipate the location and level of seclusion of unwitting victims.”"

You can't "set anything up" as a layman user.  As I said, you can take advantage of "hot spots" that already exist in the game, but you can't create a PokeSpot in your creepy BDSM torture shed in your backyard and wait for kids to show up.  If the article indicated that, it's completely full of ####. 

Users who are viewing this thread