What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Game Observations (1 Viewer)

If everything broke right for Taylor (Mendenhall/Alphonso Smith injured & R.Williams cut), his upside for 2013 is a lot closer to Vick Ballard than Alfred Morris. (I really don't think anyone thinks he'll put up those #s and simply pointing out comparable pre-draft measurables)

Alphonso Smith (like last night) has been running ahead of Taylor in camp . Both however have received 1st team snaps with Mendenhall limited so it's not one is running away from the other.. (And it's not set in stone where Ryan Williams stands at this moment -- even if I'd lean towards cut if he's not playing in game #2)

I wouldn't chase after any Cardinals RB for several reasons (including talent & oppositions in division). It would be mildly surprising to me to see the Card starting back hit the 4.0 ypc mark. The pass blocking has been noticeably better in camp than the run. Even when their are holes on the rare occasion, their haven't been runs I've seen by any back that really jump out. All the Cards backs are guys that'll get what's blocked and little more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenny Powers said:
If Foles starts the next game then, that makes sense on calling it a rotation. What happened yesterday was not rotating QBs though. Vick played with the 1's, Foles didnt.
Chip Kelly on his plan for the first preseason game:

Q. Will Mike and Nick alternate series?

COACH KELLY: Yeah, sometimes something bad happens and a guy gets two snaps because there was a turnover or something that happened that wasn't their fault. So we'll try to balance them as much as we can. Sometimes that doesn't always work the way you want it. Ideally, in the ideal world, we'll split the number of snaps, but we'll do it by series.

Q. Just to be clear, you said Mike's starting because it's his day?

COACH KELLY: It's his day in the rotation. So Nick started today. We've just been rolling those guys whoever goes with it. The easiest thing for us was Mike was up in the rotation. But we'll make sure the rotation fits next week when we come back, so when we play game two, Nick will be up and he'll start in the second game.

Q. Are you a believer in rhythm at all? Do you think a quarterback has to get into a rhythm?

COACH KELLY: You're going to get your snaps and you're going to make plays. So if at the end of the day you say I didn't get a chance to get into rhythm and the other guy did, then you're in there, you go. If you're worried about what else is going on around you, then that's going to be what you blame. We have a big sign on our locker room: ‘We're mentally and physically tough, we work hard and don't make excuses.’ I don't anticipate that from those guys. They've been fantastic since I've been here, so that's not an issue.

The game did not go exactly the way he said he wanted it to go. And yes, Nick Foles is starting game 2 against Carolina.

Shutout said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Bob Magaw said:
candymanvandyfan said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
EBF said:
Anyone watching the Arizona game? Does Stepfan Taylor look as bad as his stat line would suggest? I noticed that the other RB there had an even worse YPC tonight. Blocking issues?
The sooner people give up their hopes of him ever being a feature RB the better.
He can't play. One feature of good runners is that they can run. Taylor can't do that and as a result his attempts to run appear less successful than runs from runners who can run. The thing about running for a running back is that it's important to be able to do it. As you scout him, note that as he attempts to run, he doesn't move fast enough for it to qualify as running. I've seen faster people at alumni over 40 games. "Sure," you might say, "but you've seen slower people in your life too," and I confess that's true, but it's usually people who do those wheelbarrow races and try to run with their hands or piano movers with a full load going up the last flight of stairs in an apartment building.
I think he has similar speed to Alfred Morris?it isn't obvious why a guy with effectively the same speed could be among the league leaders in rushing yards, yet it will be impossible for Taylor to have success...

doesn't compute...
I'll say it again. Morris has ferocious power and football smarts. Taylor has no power. I'm not sure if he has the smarts. He doesn't impress me.
He went to Stanford so I'd say his baseline for smarts is at least equal to most other football players.
Not really the same as footall intelligence. Frank Gore can barely string a sentence together, but he's basically a football genius by all accounts.

book smarts and football smarts are not same, but with stanford major of information technology in society, its nice to know he probably won't have too much trouble getting up to speed on the playbook...

RB is a position that isn't associated with being as challenging as learning QB (understandably, as they need to know assignments of all positions on offense and defense), or WR route running or TE blocking for that matter, historically being one where rookies can do well based on intuitive run instincts...

the fact that he was a multi-year starter and stanford's career yardage leader suggests a modicum of football smarts...

also the fact that he has a complete game and three down skill set (in pass protection, you have to have football smarts about defensive alignments and also good instincts to block the right pass rusher on time, despite defensive stunts, twists, games) suggests not only smarts but work ethic and professionalism as well...

* there is a stepfan taylor thread, if this is becoming too much of a digression, might be best to take it there, a lot of the same points have been made in it, so further in-depth analysis here could become redundant...

Are there any RB battles similar to the one Alfred Morris won last year? I know of Denver, Pitt, Arizona (bleh), Cincy. What other battles should be worth watching?

Are there any RB battles similar to the one Alfred Morris won last year? I know of Denver, Pitt, Arizona (bleh), Cincy. What other battles should be worth watching?
I dont see any RB battles there. Its Bell's job to lose in PIT & CIN and DEN are gonna be RBBC.

I want a part of the Pittsburgh running game. Figure it's Bell's, but both series the Steelers have been looking very good in the run game.

Shutout said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Bob Magaw said:
candymanvandyfan said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
EBF said:
Anyone watching the Arizona game? Does Stepfan Taylor look as bad as his stat line would suggest? I noticed that the other RB there had an even worse YPC tonight. Blocking issues?
The sooner people give up their hopes of him ever being a feature RB the better.
He can't play. One feature of good runners is that they can run. Taylor can't do that and as a result his attempts to run appear less successful than runs from runners who can run. The thing about running for a running back is that it's important to be able to do it. As you scout him, note that as he attempts to run, he doesn't move fast enough for it to qualify as running. I've seen faster people at alumni over 40 games. "Sure," you might say, "but you've seen slower people in your life too," and I confess that's true, but it's usually people who do those wheelbarrow races and try to run with their hands or piano movers with a full load going up the last flight of stairs in an apartment building.
I think he has similar speed to Alfred Morris?it isn't obvious why a guy with effectively the same speed could be among the league leaders in rushing yards, yet it will be impossible for Taylor to have success...

doesn't compute...
I'll say it again. Morris has ferocious power and football smarts. Taylor has no power. I'm not sure if he has the smarts. He doesn't impress me.
He went to Stanford so I'd say his baseline for smarts is at least equal to most other football players.
Not really the same as footall intelligence. Frank Gore can barely string a sentence together, but he's basically a football genius by all accounts.
Huh...really? Frank Gore can't talk?

Redman got the first carry, and LSH every one since then, with the 1s. Anyone else find his time with the ones surprising, and/or the fact we haven't seen Bell yet?

ETA NM on Bell.

Redman got the first carry, and LSH every one since then, with the 1s. Anyone else find his time with the ones surprising, and/or the fact we haven't seen Bell yet?
Bells inactive with a mild knee injury.

This speaks more to how low Dwyers stock has fallen than anything.

The Giants have had three 3rd down situations in the 1st quarter with Eli in the game

On all three of those plays Andre Brown was in the game. Wilson was in on 1st and 2nd down of each of those series

Shutout said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Bob Magaw said:
candymanvandyfan said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
EBF said:

doesn't compute...
Huh...really? Frank Gore can't talk?
Barely intelligible.

Shutout said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Bob Magaw said:
candymanvandyfan said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
EBF said:

doesn't compute...
I'm pretty sure that doesn't go both ways. If you can score academically to get into stanford im pretty sure you can learn a football play book. Is not a case where an athlete gets 12 years to translate something he has played all his life. Acceptance into Stanford pretty much gauges ability to learn and apply across the board.

Shutout said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Bob Magaw said:
candymanvandyfan said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
EBF said:

doesn't compute...
I'm pretty sure that doesn't go both ways. If you can score academically to get into stanford im pretty sure you can learn a football play book. Is not a case where an athlete gets 12 years to translate something he has played all his life. Acceptance into Stanford pretty much gauges ability to learn and apply across the board.
It's not about learning a play book. Most people could learn a playbook eventually. It's applying that knowledge mid-play, reading the defense, using your blocks, knowing what everyone is supposed to be doing and where, and what that makes the defense do. That's what Gore has, despite possible low IQ (not gonna just assume that). No reason to think just because Taylor is incredibly intelligent and a great learner that he can instinctively apply that on the field. It's a completely different kind of "smart" that you can't measure.

Shutout said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Bob Magaw said:
candymanvandyfan said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
EBF said:

doesn't compute...
? What does football acumen have to do with book smarts? Frank Gore is a great example of football smart, with a private school education, but still not the sharpest tool in the shed. I'm not sure what going to Stanford has to do with his ability to find cut back lanes or pick up the right unblocked pass rusher...

Shutout said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
Bob Magaw said:
candymanvandyfan said:
ROYALWITCHEESE said:
EBF said:

doesn't compute...
? What does football acumen have to do with book smarts? Frank Gore is a great example of football smart, with a private school education, but still not the sharpest tool in the shed. I'm not sure what going to Stanford has to do with his ability to find cut back lanes or pick up the right unblocked pass rusher...
what was the basis on which you questioned his smarts?

I think this conversation about assessing a players awareness and perception of physics, geometry, and how well they process that information is something that is difficult to judge without knowing that player personally.

Vision is not the same as awareness for example. Some people can see in a wider range than others, or have developed that ability more than others. Perhaps an optometrist would disagree with me but I think this is so.

Some people can be looking right at something and not even notice it. Others seem to have a sixth sense that allows them to react to things (like the ball, a defender) even though that is not in their field of vision.

Some players helmets may restrict their peripheral vision more than others. That is something the player, the coaches and the equipment guys have to agree on.

There may be some aspects of college a player may learn about these things. The best teacher is experience. The more they play the more they learn in terms of physical memory and also learning from mistakes.

Some players are more receptive to coaching than others and some coaches are better at communicating that information.

Dane Sanzenbacher makes a 53 man roster.
The Andrew Hawkins injury gives him a great shot of sticking in Cincy. Hawkins probably will end up on IR designated to return.

AJ Green, Mo Sanu, Marvin Jones and Brandon Tate are likely locks.

Then 2 of the following 3: Dane Sanzenbacher, Cobi Hamilton and Ryan Whalen.

Dan Hutchinson/Star Ledger

What we learned from the Giants' 18-13 preseason win over the Steelers

The Giants’ run defense, which ranked 25th last season, remains a work in progress. The first-team defense yielded 47 yards rushing on nine carries in two series, a 5.2-yard average per carry. The Steelers created lanes at the point of attack, and the Giants’ linebackers failed to plug the holes. The Steelers found daylight on several cutback runs, which was a problem last season as well.

Rookie DE Damontre Moore, a third-round pick out of Texas A&M, has the look of a big-time player. For openers, he blocked the Steelers’ first punt attempt. On defense, he generated consistent pressure on the quarterback, twice beating Pittsburgh starting RT Marcus Gilbert, and displayed tremendous closing speed on plays. On one play, he chased down the running back for a 1-yard gain on a check-down pass.

The Giants need to beef up their depth along the offensive line. The unit, which was without first-round pick RT Justin Pugh and third-year T James Brewer, both out with concussions, struggled in pass protection and the running game. Reserve C Matt McCants snapped the ball over the head of quarterback Ryan Nassib deep in Giants territory, resulting in a Steelers touchdown.

One More Thing

Running back David Wilson, who has been working to improve pass blocking, stepped up and delivered a crushing block on a blitzing Steelers linebacker, enabling quarterback Eli Manning to get off a pass.

Spiller hasn't thrown up but he had two very nice carries to start the game. Fleener has two catches but just fumbled on his second one deep in Bills territory on a hit by Ron Brooks.

Beautiful diving grab for Hilton for the TD.
I'm bumping him up my list a bit. He's played well. Wayne should still be solid, but he's not getting any younger, so hard to say if he will be as high on the progression list. And, the Indy homer announcers said TY has been having a great camp.

at WR/TE

Julius Thomas the best performer - nothing elsewhere
I find this interesting. He started and ran quite a few routes. It's being dismissed due to Thomas, Welker, and Decker, but lets not forget Peyton made a TE viable in Dallas Clark when he still had Wayne, Harrison, and Stokeley to throw to.

Interesting guy to watch in Thomas. TE feels really, really deep.
Not only Dallas Clark, but Marcus Pollard also

Users who are viewing this thread