What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Just dropping this - I think the Jets overpaid. I like this move for the Packers. I think this makes the Jets just good enough to compete and eventually lose to either of the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Chargers, maybe the Dolphins, Titans, Ravens, too. He couldn't get it done in the NFC so yeah good luck getting through the AFC. Just my ten cents and calling my shot.
I love that you included the titans. But no.
Otherwise agreed.

Congrats all around. As a lifelong Packer fan I will miss watching Rodgers play football for the Packers - what a pleasure it has been. Jets are getting a great one. The comp seems fair to me. Its going to be fun to watch this all play out. Would love to see the Jets and Rodgers in the Superbowl, hopefully in a loss to JLove and the Packers.
Yeah. Lived watching him play for sure and appreciate all the years. Seemed a good time for both sides to part ways. Glad the speculation on a trade is over.

Feel a little vindicated this afternoon. Packers got the 1st and 2nd they were looking for, and the Jets were willing to give it. Just like I posited in this thread. "Why wouldn't the Jets just give the Packers what they want?" They did.
I like McAfee but his narrative that the Pack had zero leverage dealing his buddy Rodgers was nonsense. Big W it's also non-performance related that can make it a 1

That leverage was the prospect of starting Zach Wilson which everyone and their mother knew couldn't happen
They could have tried to trade up to 3 and draft a guy.........using the same picks they just traded.

Just dropping this - I think the Jets overpaid. I like this move for the Packers. I think this makes the Jets just good enough to compete and eventually lose to either of the Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Chargers, maybe the Dolphins, Titans, Ravens, too. He couldn't get it done in the NFC so yeah good luck getting through the AFC. Just my ten cents and calling my shot.
Otherwise agreed.
lol if they can block for Henry they can win a game

Andrew Brandt @AndrewBrandt
What I still don't understand from a Jets perspective:
The 2024 2nd converts to a 1st with 65% playtime only?
No statistical conditions? No playoff conditions? Really?

NFL Philosophy @NFLosophy
$60M to Woody is ash tray money. 1 year is all that’s guaranteed but I don’t think they get into this deal if they think 1 year is all they’re getting.

Andrew Brandt @AndrewBrandt
Was 90% retired heading into darkness this year.
Nothing back from Packers if he walks...crazy.

Feel a little vindicated this afternoon. Packers got the 1st and 2nd they were looking for, and the Jets were willing to give it. Just like I posited in this thread. "Why wouldn't the Jets just give the Packers what they want?" They did.
Unless I’ve lost track, the jets weren’t willing to give an unconditional first. They didn’t.
He didn’t say “unconditional first.”

And plenty of people suggested the Jets wouldn’t give up a first, even a conditional.

I like McAfee but his narrative that the Pack had zero leverage dealing his buddy Rodgers was nonsense. Big W it's also non-performance related that can make it a 1

That leverage was the prospect of starting Zach Wilson which everyone and their mother knew couldn't happen
They could have tried to trade up to 3 and draft a guy.........using the same picks they just traded.
Jets have already shown they cant develop a rookie QB...twice in 5 yrs. It was time for a change.

Otherwise agreed.
It’s extremely unlikely for them to beat the jets in the Playoffs this year. And they don’t play in the regular season.

Unless I’ve lost track, the jets weren’t willing to give an unconditional first. They didn’t.

And plenty of people suggested the Jets wouldn’t give up a first, even a conditional.
I didn’t say he said that. It was reported to be the packers demand (true or not I do not know)

The Post’s Brian Costello reported Thursday that the sticking point in negotiationsbetween the Jets and Packers has been Green Bay’s demand for the Jets’ 2024 first-round pick to be in the deal.

The Jets don’t want to include an unconditional first-round pick for a quarterback in Rodgers, who turns 40 in December and whose status beyond the 2023 season is uncertain, and they’d prefer to have a conditional day-two pick that can become a first-rounder if certain conditions are met, according to Costello.

And the condition on it seems minimal at this point…not based in performance but just playing time?

The jets biggest concern was not his performance IF he plays.

And the condition on it seems minimal at this point…not based in performance but just playing time?

That 65% clause is interesting. If things goes south the Jets could sit Rogers and save themselves a #1 pick.
Yep. I’d think that (going south and the deal not working out) might cost a few jobs but it’s possible.
Jets facing a tough schedule this year (division/AFC West/NFC East). Big time win IMO the Pack getting this w/o performance attached
I wonder if performance was the sticking point for the Packers- not wanting the condition linked to either the jets wins or ARod jelling with a mostly new group of receivers.

I didn’t say he said that. It was reported to be the packers demand (true or not I do not know)

The Post’s Brian Costello reported Thursday that the sticking point in negotiationsbetween the Jets and Packers has been Green Bay’s demand for the Jets’ 2024 first-round pick to be in the deal.

The Jets don’t want to include an unconditional first-round pick for a quarterback in Rodgers, who turns 40 in December and whose status beyond the 2023 season is uncertain, and they’d prefer to have a conditional day-two pick that can become a first-rounder if certain conditions are met, according to Costello.

very possible that their fears of a one and done were alleviated after talking with Rodgers so they finally relented on the 1st...maybe they just decided to roll the dice. Who knows and who cares - bottom line is the Jets after 50+ yrs of no Super Bowl and 10+ yrs of no playoffs are real contenders.

Sure..:just seems a better metric for GB…or better said an easier one to get a 1st. And if he doesn’t play that many…it likely moves the 2nd rounder to earlier in the round improving that.

Otherwise agreed.
It’s extremely unlikely for them to beat the jets in the Playoffs this year. And they don’t play in the regular season.
If they can block for Henry then I have them as the favorite in the AFC South. Jax a close 2nd. I don't think losing to the Titans in the playoffs is anywhere in the same neighborhood as "extremely unlikely". But whatever point is I see Rodgers losing in the playoffs to "insert AFC team name here"

That 65% clause is interesting. If things goes south the Jets could sit Rogers and save themselves a #1 pick.
i did some math on this. assume the jets run 65 plays a game x 17 = 1105 plays. offensive snaps. 65% is roughly 720. rodgers would have to miss 6 games and play 11 full.

knowing the jets, they’ll find a way to grab a tebow or some gadget guy and have them run 22 plays a game to save the pick from being a 1. believe me, it’s the jets so anything is really possible.

another way i look at this….considering how badly the jets fleeced the panthers and seahawks in the darnold and adams deals, they can deal a conditional 1. this year if alijah vera tucker, becton and hall get on the field and play, it’s like getting an additional 3 first rounders back…….2 of them were actual 1sts, hall was not. they combined to play 14 of a possible 51 games. of course seeing becton anywhere other than back down on an operating table would be a shock.

i did some math on this. assume the jets run 65 plays a game x 17 = 1105 plays. offensive snaps. 65% is roughly 720. rodgers would have to miss 6 games and play 11 full.

knowing the jets, they’ll find a way to grab a tebow or some gadget guy and have them run 22 plays a game to save the pick from being a 1. believe me, it’s the jets so anything is really possible.
Better job of explaining the math than I had lined up with a pizza sliced into 17 pieces.

This clause would seem to ensure that they pull Rodgers earlier than is typical in blowouts, whether Jets are blowing out or being blown out, at least until/unless Rodgers crosses that threshold.

Otherwise agreed.
If they can block for Henry then I have them as the favorite in the AFC South. Jax a close 2nd. I don't think losing to the Titans in the playoffs is anywhere in the same neighborhood as "extremely unlikely". But whatever point is I see Rodgers losing in the playoffs to "insert AFC team name here"
The Jags are getting way too much credit for a team that got extremely lucky to make the playoffs, and then faced a Chargers team that refused to win in the playoffs. Credit to the Jags for doing that, but they are still quite aways from being considered a good team. Frankly, I'm kinda interested to see what Houston does with a real HC. I'm confident them and Indy will be better this year (how could they not?)

On topic, the Jets have the look of a 6 seed right now, so like you said, that probably means going to Cincinnati or something in round 1.

I do think GB is going to miss Rodgers a ton, much of that being my lack of belief in Love. Fantasy wise, I'm not sure this is an upgrade for Rodgers, and would probably argue him in the QB15 range.

This was the rumored deal from the start. The only difference is the conditional second was supposed to be based on a playoff win, instead it’s now just basically a first (since it’s based on 65% of the snaps) - every jets fan would have hoped it was going to be a first either way.

I’m not sure how people are missing this.

Last edited:
The vibe I get from the web from Jets fans is that the Jets overpaid for Rodgers but it's worth it because of a lifetime of bad football.

Before the trade, they also insisted that the Jets had all the leverage.

The vibe I get from the web from Jets fans is that the Jets overpaid for Rodgers but it's worth it because of a lifetime of bad football.

There were a lot of very certain Jets fans, who were extremely confident they would be getting Rodgers for a 3rd round pick and Corey Davis. Those people have either disappeared or gone into spin mode

Rodgers is undoubtedly an upgrade over Zach Wilson and the rest of the team around him is very good. But the question is:

How much of an outlier is Tom Brady?

Brady has 38% of all starts for QBs over 40. He has 42% of all passing yards. 46% of wins. Historically, QB’s decline considerably after 40. How much can Rodgers beat Father Time?

I think we l assume that with all the modern training and nutrition, that guys can play better for longer. But I’m not sure that the data backs that up. Or if it does, the return is marginal.

There were a lot of very certain Jets fans, who were extremely confident they would be getting Rodgers for a 3rd round pick and Corey Davis.
Please link anyone saying that or get out of here with that nonsense. Look at the Jets thread. No one said this. Revisionist history on your part.

Last edited:
Rodgers is undoubtedly an upgrade over Zach Wilson and the rest of the team around him is very good. But the question is:

Brady has 38% of all starts for QBs over 40. He has 42% of all passing yards. 46% of wins. Historically, QB’s decline considerably after 40. How much can Rodgers beat Father Time?

I think we l assume that with all the modern training and nutrition, that guys can play better for longer. But I’m not sure that the data backs that up. Or if it does, the return is marginal.
I’m very skeptical that Rodgers has been keeping himself as healthy as Brady. He’s not unhealthy by any standard (definitely not the typical American lifestyle) but not at the same level.
I think the reasonable expectation is for Rodgers to be above average this year and struggle a bit in year two. He certainly seemed to have lost the fire at times last year, which is more of a concern than Accuracy or strength imo

I’m very skeptical that Rodgers has been keeping himself as healthy as Brady. He’s not unhealthy by any standard (definitely not the typical American lifestyle) but not at the same level.
I think the reasonable expectation is for Rodgers to be above average this year and struggle a bit in year two. He certainly seemed to have lost the fire at times last year, which is more of a concern than Accuracy or strength imo
Agreed.

I also think that people seem to not be factoring in at all that Rodgers will be going to a new system, all new players, etc. He’s a veteran and a smart guy so he’ll likely adjust faster than most, but how much will we see frustrated Aaron Rodgers angry because he wasn’t on the same page as the receiver or the OC?

Agreed.

I also think that people seem to not be factoring in at all that Rodgers will be going to a new system, all new players, etc. He’s a veteran and a smart guy so he’ll likely adjust faster than most, but how much will we see frustrated Aaron Rodgers angry because he wasn’t on the same page as the receiver or the OC?
One of the biggest talking points was about Rodgers and Hackett being back together. Whether that goes as well as some think, remains to be seen.

It seems highly unlikely the % snaps clause would be looked at halfway through the season and the Jets would sit Rodgers to turn the 1st into a 2nd. This clause looks more like protection where they are getting a short term QB fix and if Rodgers gets knocked out for the season early in 2023 the trade won't cost them a first round pick. The clause looks to be all about injury protection, not team performance.

Reactions: Zow
As a Dolphin fan I say; "good for the jets". The AFCE this season is going to come down to QB play and Health. If all three QBs (sorry Pats) stay healthy, its going to be a dog fight and even the division winner likely will be a road dog week 2 of the playoffs. If the wheels fall off Rodgers the jets are screwed. If Tua's head gets banged up again its Mike White time (or Tom Brady to the white courtesy phone) and then there is still the Bills and their Robot of a QB. It's going to be an interesting season in the AFCE for sure.

I believe rumors started to surface that other teams may have reached out. So, Jets lost some of their leverage.

It seems highly unlikely the % snaps clause would be looked at halfway through the season and the Jets would sit Rodgers to turn the 1st into a 2nd. This clause looks more like protection where they are getting a short term QB fix and if Rodgers gets knocked out for the season early in 2023 the trade won't cost them a first round pick. The clause looks to be all about injury protection, not team performance.
Agreed plus Rodgers being his weird self and retiring or some such if he gets there and hates it.

There were a lot of very certain Jets fans, who were extremely confident they would be getting Rodgers for a 3rd round pick and Corey Davis.
Please link anyone saying that or GTFOOH with that nonsense. Look at the Jets thread. No one said this. Revisionist history on your part.

I will send you $100 if you link one post from a Jets fan saying that. Should be easy money right since a lot said it?
And let's respin it the other way - "tons of Packers fans saying they were going to get 2 1sts, Quinnen AND Sauce."

Jets GM Joe Douglas said "I don't want to put words in Aaron's mouth" when asked about his chances of playing beyond the 2023 season.​

He also noted that the New York media would be able to talk to Rodgers directly during the team's opening press conference. Douglas also did not offer whether Rodgers would participate in voluntary workouts. The Rodgers deal has yet to be finalized, but when it does there will still be plenty of questions about how this offseason will go as he tries to acclimate to the Jets' starters.
SOURCE: Connor Hughes on Twitter
Apr 25, 2023, 1:17 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread