What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

Well that was a heck of an exciting preseason, just on anticipation alone. Now we await the almost assured word tomorrow and go from there. I'd say he retires.

For better or worse, Aaron Rodgers always does it on his terms, and an Achilles injury to end a career doesn’t seem like it’d sit well with him

It normally would be a good way to look at it, but I also think that he looks at football in more perspective (or thinks he does) than he once would have when it meant everything. I think he's going to live on his own terms, which doesn't necessarily mean he has to (or wants to) play football to be happy, if you get my drift. My thought is that if he has to go through the rehab to live a normal life anyway, might as well rehab it pro style and come back. We'll see.
I don't know, rock. There's obviously a huge difference between rehabbing to get back to QBing in the NFL at his age, versus being able to climb up to his mountain lodge on Mt. Kilimanjaro. Just don't see him having the urge to go through it all again, but as we all know, AR is just...different.

Brutal. Saleh handled the presser with class, as much as I’ve ever seen. He must be completely shook.

What are the historical data points for QBs with Achilles? Can’t be as bad as RBs but being 40, that’s tough. T&P for him.
He was already considering retirement before the season. Can't imagine him wanting to put in the effort to rehab and get back to playing football again.

I'd guess there is a 98.5% chance he never plays football again.

If he’s seriously injured, he’s going to have to rehab no matter what.

We just cant have nice things. Clearly a cursed franchise. I mean....this was the big joke when they got him ("LOL, watch him blow out his Achilles on the 2nd play"). Sure enough......he does and will likely never throw for a single yard as a Jet (I know he's been having fun, but is he really gonna rehab from that injury at 40? I doubt it)
With the contract he has the Jets should hope he retires.

Sorry Jets fans. This is cruel. Hopefully Wilson can somehow string together some solid play and your running game and defense can still win you a lot of games.

We just cant have nice things. Clearly a cursed franchise. I mean....this was the big joke when they got him ("LOL, watch him blow out his Achilles on the 2nd play"). Sure enough......he does and will likely never throw for a single yard as a Jet (I know he's been having fun, but is he really gonna rehab from that injury at 40? I doubt it)

and leave 38 million fully guaranteed on the table?

and leave 38 million fully guaranteed on the table?
Better to rip this band aid off sooner rather than later.

Is the Packers GM a genius or the luckiest SOB on Earth? Maybe a little of both.
There is no way to tell if Rogers would have torn his Achilles had he remained with Packers. It was just one of those plays and unfortunately it happened when Roger's was working with the Jets.

Is the Packers GM a genius or the luckiest SOB on Earth? Maybe a little of both.
Worked out pretty well for them. However, it's kind of a lose-lose. Packers only get a 2nd rounder for him now, instead of the 1st they would have gotten if he played 65% of the season.

I guess a high 2nd and a low 1st aren't that far apart though.

I'm a Packers fan and I was really hoping Rodgers would put together a nice season and get the Jets in the playoffs. Both, because I felt Rodgers could still get the job done and I also wanted that 1st round pick. I think there is a good chance he comes back. Players don't want to end their career because of injury.

At least they avoided losing a 1st round pick.

with Rodgers out for this season the trade breaks down like this:

The Jets got: Rodgers plus the Packers' 2023 first round (#15) and fifth round picks (#170)

The Packers got: The Jets 2023 first (#13), second (#42) and sixth (#207) round picks and the Jets 2024 second round pick

The Jets got: Rodgers plus the Packers' 2023 first round (#15) and fifth round picks (#170)

The Packers got: The Jets 2023 first (#13), second (#42) and sixth (#207) round picks and the Jets 2024 second round pick
#42 and 2024 2nd Rd pick which could potentially be another Top 40-50 pick is the real teeth of the trade. Moving down 2 spots in the 1st, moving from 170 to 200+ didn't impact the Jets much but those two 2nd Rd picks which are a little hard to see when you first look at the trade, then the cap hits and financial impact will be felt beyond this season.

#42 and 2024 2nd Rd pick which could potentially be another Top 40-50 pick is the real teeth of the trade. Moving down 2 spots in the 1st, moving from 170 to 200+ didn't impact the Jets much but those two 2nd Rd picks which are a little hard to see when you first look at the trade, then the cap hits and financial impact will be felt beyond this season.

In retrospect, my opinion hasn't changed from the day it was announced - there was no "winner" or "loser" to this trade. There was no "fleecing" either way. It was a win-win-win under the circumstances for both teams and the player. The trade was the product of long and difficult negotiations between two teams of professionals and the hard work they put into it. I'm still shocked and completely gutted for AR today - still in a form of denial in terms of what he's going through today as well as the loss to us as fans that we won't see his story play out in NY this season. Hope he can recover and still play next year.

Paying off this year for the Packers.
#13, Lukas Van Ness, 1 sack, 1 TFL.
#42, Luke Musgrave, 3 for 50
#207, PK Anders Carlson, 52 yard FG, 5-5 on xp.

I don't know, rock. There's obviously a huge difference between rehabbing to get back to QBing in the NFL at his age, versus being able to climb up to his mountain lodge on Mt. Kilimanjaro. Just don't see him having the urge to go through it all again, but as we all know, AR is just...different.

Oh yeah, zamboni, I dig what you're saying. When I said "My thought," I meant "this is what I would do if I were him," not "this is what he'll likely think or do."

It was me just saying if it were me, and I had to rehab anyway, I'd do the aggressive sport rehab as long as I was at it. Keep one's options open.

Terribly unlucky for the Packers in terms of the loss in trade compensation
, apart from the horrific nature of the injury to a player who will always be a Green Bay legend.
Are you kidding? They got a 1st and 2nd for a 39 year old QB who was obviously on the downside of his career then add in the cap saving of his albatross of a contract?

Vikings will probably walk away from Cousins next year and get nothing and still pay the dead money remaining on his contract.

Terribly unlucky for the Packers in terms of the loss in trade compensation, apart from the horrific nature of the injury to a player who will always be a Green Bay legend.
Are you kidding? They got a 1st and 2nd for a 39 year old QB who was obviously on the downside of his career then add in the cap saving of his albatross of a contract?

Vikings will probably walk away from Cousins next year and get nothing and still pay the dead money remaining on his contract.
They got a first round pick swap . . . not a straight up first round pick.

GBP: Picks 13, 42, 207 and a 2024 second rounder
NYJ: Rodgers, Picks 15, 170

It essentially amounts to two second round picks for Rodgers. People can argue if that was too little, too much, or just right.

Terribly unlucky for the Packers in terms of the loss in trade compensation, apart from the horrific nature of the injury to a player who will always be a Green Bay legend.

I assumed you were talking about an updated view of the situation after last night. They already had this deal in place months ago before the draft. What changed last night is the conditional 2024 second round pick cannot upgrade to a first. The expectation before yesterday was a strong likelihood they would get the Jets' 2024 first round pick by Rodgers playing just 65% of the Jets' offensive snaps. So that is obviously unlucky for the Packers.

I assumed you were talking about an updated view of the situation after last night. They already had this deal in place months ago before the draft. What changed last night is the conditional 2024 second round pick cannot upgrade to a first. The expectation before yesterday was a strong likelihood they would get the Jets' 2024 first round pick by Rodgers playing just 65% of the Jets' offensive snaps. So that is obviously unlucky for the Packers.
Yeah, they lose the first but if Rodgers was remotely what they hoped he'd be, it'd have been a late first. Now with Wilson, it's quite possible the Jets aren't near what they could have been and it could be a high second round pick. The real question is how close the compensation still really remains from what it could have been.

If the Jets stick with Wilson, I don't see how they aren't picking top 15 unless their defense drags him into the playoffs. That likely isn't too far gone from the latter first I am presuming Rodgers would have helped them otherwise generate if he were still healthy.

Yeah, they lose the first but if Rodgers was remotely what they hoped he'd be, it'd have been a late first. Now with Wilson, it's quite possible the Jets aren't near what they could have been and it could be a high second round pick. The real question is how close the compensation still really remains from what it could have been.

If the Jets stick with Wilson, I don't see how they aren't picking top 15 unless their defense drags him into the playoffs. That likely isn't too far gone from the latter first I am presuming Rodgers would have helped them otherwise generate if he were still healthy.
They just beat a top 3 AFC team with Wilson....twice. Their defense is elite, RBs elite, elite WR - even if Wilson is mediocre they could still be a playoff team. Super Bowl is definitely a pipe dream but playoffs are very realistic.

I think its a lock he comes back. No competitive HOF athlete wants to go out like that,
The Steve Smith Football Life episode confirms this. I'd be surprised if Arog checks out on this note.
Kind of reminds me of Mariano Rivera. He tore his acl shagging fly balls in what was expected to be his last season. He almost immediately said he was coming back one more year and didn't want it to end like that.

Well this is….something I guess.

The NFL Players Association called for all 32 NFL teams to adopt grass fields.
The union’s statement comes after Aaron Rodgers ruptured his Achilles Monday night on the turf at MetLife Stadium. Players for years have agitated for teams to ditch turf fields and install grass surfaces that are easier on players’ joints and ligaments. “Moving all stadium fields to high quality natural grass surfaces is the easiest decision the NFL can make,” NFLPA executive director Lloyd Howell said in a statement. “The players overwhelmingly prefer it and the data is clear that grass is simply safer than artificial turf. It is an issue that has been near the top of the players’ list during my team visits and one I have raised with the NFL.” League officials continue to deny that there are major differences in injury rate on turf fields compared to grass surfaces.

Maybe they should have rules about being close to 40 & playing in the NFL. I hear that can be bad for ligaments & bones as well. :shrug:

The union’s statement comes after Aaron Rodgers ruptured his Achilles Monday night on the turf at MetLife Stadium. Players for years have agitated for teams to ditch turf fields and install grass surfaces that are easier on players’ joints and ligaments. “Moving all stadium fields to high quality natural grass surfaces is the easiest decision the NFL can make,” NFLPA executive director Lloyd Howell said in a statement. “The players overwhelmingly prefer it and the data is clear that grass is simply safer than artificial turf. It is an issue that has been near the top of the players’ list during my team visits and one I have raised with the NFL.” League officials continue to deny that there are major differences in injury rate on turf fields compared to grass surfaces.

Maybe they should have rules about being close to 40 & playing in the NFL. I hear that can be bad for ligaments & bones as well. :shrug:

It is a legitimate issue that doesn't have anything to do with Rodgers' injury.

The data indisputably shows that fewer injuries occur playing on natural grass than playing on synthetic turf. If the NFL cared more about player health than money, it would mandate natural grass fields in every stadium. Obviously, the league prioritizes money over player health.

It is a complete joke that some NFL stadiums with synthetic turf temporarily replace that turf with natural grass to host soccer matches but then revert to synthetic turf for football season.

It is a legitimate issue that doesn't have anything to do with Rodgers' injury.

The data indisputably shows that fewer injuries occur playing on natural grass than playing on synthetic turf. If the NFL cared more about player health than money, it would mandate natural grass fields in every stadium. Obviously, the league prioritizes money over player health.

It is a complete joke that some NFL stadiums with synthetic turf temporarily replace that turf with natural grass to host soccer matches but then revert to synthetic turf for football season.
I'm not saying it's not a legit issue. I just thought it was a bit disingenuous of the NFLPA to use a 39 year old who got caught in an awkward sack as an example of why change was needed.

They're seemingly alleging that if it were natural grass, ARod would not have been hurt. Watching that replay, his foot stretched too far when a monstrous defender was sacking him. He would have popped that Achilles on any surface, IMO.

So yes - natural grass > turf of any sort

But I don't believe it has anything to do with ARod, and IMO it costs the NFLPA credibility when they come out with stuff like this.

Unpopular opinion I am sure, but I do not feel bad for him. He is 39 and already experienced the prime of a hall of fame career. There is a reason very few QBs are playing at that age.

As an NFL fan I don’t think I am missing out on anything not seeing Rodgers play a few more years. The number of exciting young QBs in the league has never been higher.

If this happens to a younger player, different story.

Definitely sucks for Jets fans though.

Unpopular opinion I am sure, but I do not feel bad for him. He is 39 and already experienced the prime of a hall of fame career. There is a reason very few QBs are playing at that age.
Career aside, I feel bad for anyone that has to rehab from a torn Achilles - it's not just a tough injury for football, but for everyday life.

But yes, it's us Jets fans that feel the pain in other ways.

Users who are viewing this thread