What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aidan O'Connell, LV (1 Viewer)

He looks the part.
Several QBs, including Clifford and Bennett, had real good games but followed that with duds. OConnell didn't. He has consistently been good.

Can't ask for any more than what he's done. Even the accuracy.

I'm curious how he'll do against a regular season first string D that makes adjustments.

One nuisance for me, every summer is how most rookie QBs can't meet whatever basic minimal standard I have in my head. It makes it so difficult to evaluate and project it's almost a waste of time.

This guy? What more do ya want?

I pushed him up to late first in my rookie draft rankings.

Anyone have thoughts on him? Seems like there's zero buzz and I like what little I've seen. 6'3 and 210 4th rounder from Purdue.

Few QB's in the league seem less durable than Jimmy Garoppolo and nobody's excited about Brian Hoyer.
I watched his first preseason game, where I thought he really stood out and then started reading the dedicated Raiders thread in the Shark Pool. They posted some more links in there. Raiders folks are buzzing for sure. I found this most recent clip:

Everything you hear (and see on preseason tape) with this guy revolves around "awareness" and "accuracy"... in a Josh McDaniels offense. Sounds oddly familiar to me. In McDaniels' offense, I think he's got all the tools to be really successful. Added him to my team after his 2nd preseason game.

ETA: dynasty team

Someone published a list of highest rated preseason passers the last 6 or so years.

Not great.

Good to see he's doing well, and he looks better than Kyle Wilson/Will Levis/buncha other guys, so....so far so good

He has been absolutely slinging it but it's preseason. Was there anyone championing him coming out of college? He seemed totally off the radar.

He has been absolutely slinging it but it's preseason. Was there anyone championing him coming out of college? He seemed totally off the radar.

He did have a bit of buzz as a pure passer, but his lack of mobility counted against him for the modern game imo so had coming in under the radar. He would often pop up as a name as a potential best of the rest outside of the top four and Hooker.

17-11 in the Big10 as a starter for Purdue. That's impressive. I took him last round in a dynasty rookie draft back in May and feel great about it now.

Just know he has zero mobility. Just like another late round QB that thrived under Josh McDaniel.

You know, there was definitely some people who were like, this guy is NOT sexy, but he plays QB really well. And his comfort in the pocket, and confident passing was the kind of thing they talked about.

Definitely was a popular sleeper QB type.

His limited athleticism and mobility were his only negatives

6'3 and 215 with a rocket for an arm and pin-point accuracy. But yeah, he's in trouble when the pocket collapses.
Everything I've read has him with a fairly average arm (particularly on deep balls), but he makes up for it with a quick release and anticipation (which probably matters more in the NFL).

There are Raider fans in all 3 of my dynasty leagues. I never had a chance at him at close to ADP. I agree he’s looked good.

zero buzz
Just chiming in to say this is a surprising comment. Every preseason thread or “weekly top preseason players” articles that have been linked here all have mentioned O’Connell in their lists. So while he’s available in all 3 of my 1QB short-ish bench dynasty leagues, I wouldn’t describe his preseason as zero buzz.

As a raiders fan, there’s almost too much buzz since I’m damaged enough to believe that any good buzz is a jinx and/or a setup for a let down ;)

I took a dart throw on him a while ago in a SF but just traded him and a 6th for Thompson-Robinson, I have Watson and DTR also looked good so far.

He is highly thought of in Big Ten country. He is a very accurate passer and can throw in small windows. I think of him as a gunslinger in his mentality. He is fearless and will stand in the pocket with pressure in his face. He is mobile enough and has good footwork. He has the ability to slide his feet to avoid pressure. What I like best about him is that he continues to look downfield no matter what is happening around him. The one downside is he at times is maybe trying to make something happen when it is not there which can lead to interceptions. The Raiders and the Patriot offense fit him like a glove. He could not have gone to a better place than to be paired up with Josh McDaniels. I watch a lot of Big Ten football and I can say I'm glad he is leaving Purdue. I drafted him a lot very late in rookie drafts pretty much with my last picks. He basically was free at that point. I think his ADP has spiked quite a bit since his performances in the preseason games.

Old school QB, but one that has a shot in McDaniels system. Scrappy dude who worked for everything he achieved at Purdue; walk on, sat for two years, finally got starting gig and got hurt, worked his way back to starter. Enjoyed watching him play the past 2 years.

He'll make mistakes, usually trying to make something happen. I liked his aggressiveness though, and it worked out more times than not. Trusts his receivers to makes plays and puts the ball there. He helped make good/average WRs like David Bell and Charlie Jones look great at the college level. Purdue isn't exactly a WR factory like OSU. Really interested to see what he looks like throwing to a talent like Davante Adams. The biggest knock is that he's a pure pocket passer and the NFL has been moving away from that, but he landed in a spot where that could work.

He is a very accurate passer and can throw in small windows. I think of him as a gunslinger in his mentality. He is fearless and will stand in the pocket with pressure in his face. He is mobile enough and has good footwork. He has the ability to slide his feet to avoid pressure. What I like best about him is that he continues to look downfield no matter what is happening around him. The one downside is he at times is maybe trying

This is a great description. Not saying he is going to be anywhere close to Tom Brady as a pro. But in terms of style comp, this kid looks so similar out there. I think it's no coincidence at all he ended up with McD, who traded up in the 4th to get him, which a lot of the draft community referred to as a reach at the time. Lots still TBD tho. Much easier to look like Brady in preseason than it will be in the real NFL.

He is a very accurate passer and can throw in small windows. I think of him as a gunslinger in his mentality. He is fearless and will stand in the pocket with pressure in his face. He is mobile enough and has good footwork. He has the ability to slide his feet to avoid pressure. What I like best about him is that he continues to look downfield no matter what is happening around him. The one downside is he at times is maybe trying

This is a great description. Not saying he is going to be anywhere close to Tom Brady as a pro. But in terms of style comp, this kid looks so similar out there. I think it's no coincidence at all he ended up with McD, who traded up in the 4th to get him, which a lot of the draft community referred to as a reach at the time. Lots still TBD tho. Much easier to look like Brady in preseason than it will be in the real NFL.
Thank you for the kind words. I judge rookies on their college production more than camp or preseason but it is nice to see a rookie in preseason not be swimming in camp and in the preseason games. He also has good mental makeup. He had some ups and downs in college and I think at one point was like 8th or something crazy like that on the Purdue depth chart. He lost a family member during the season I think as well not sure what year. I think it was a brother or someone close to him and he played through some emotional stuff. Mentally he reminds me of Justin Herbert. The dude is smart and processes well. I don't know what video it was but Mark Sanchez had a series with Quarterbacks and Herbert and himself broke down film together and you can tell it was off the cuff. Herbert was excellent and just could see the mind work and seemed to actually surprise Sanchez and maybe you forget who was the pro and who was the prospect. Aiden has videos of himself breaking down film with a few people. I got similar vibes not exactly like Herbert but similar.

Thank you for the kind words. I judge rookies on their college production more than camp or preseason but it is nice to see a rookie in preseason not be swimming in camp and in the preseason games. He also has good mental makeup. He had some ups and downs in college and I think at one point was like 8th or something crazy like that on the Purdue depth chart. He lost a family member during the season I think as well not sure what year. I think it was a brother or someone close to him and he played through some emotional stuff. Mentally he reminds me of Justin Herbert. The dude is smart and processes well. I don't know what video it was but Mark Sanchez had a series with Quarterbacks and Herbert and himself broke down film together and you can tell it was off the cuff. Herbert was excellent and just could see the mind work and seemed to actually surprise Sanchez and maybe you forget who was the pro and who was the prospect. Aiden has videos of himself breaking down film with a few people. I got similar vibes not exactly like Herbert but similar.
Nice thoughts. Yes, it was his brother.

I happened to catch the rewatch of Purdue vs. Nebraska a few weeks ago and that was the game where he was in the zone and making NFL type throws. The 2021 Music City Bowl is another classic game for him. Even though he threw 3 pics you can see the NFL dna coming through with his decision making and throws.

zero buzz
Just chiming in to say this is a surprising comment. Every preseason thread or “weekly top preseason players” articles that have been linked here all have mentioned O’Connell in their lists. So while he’s available in all 3 of my 1QB short-ish bench dynasty leagues, I wouldn’t describe his preseason as zero buzz.

As a raiders fan, there’s almost too much buzz since I’m damaged enough to believe that any good buzz is a jinx and/or a setup for a let down ;)

:shrug: There wasn't even a thread on him until I started one three days ago. Not zero buzz but not even a thread was surprising to me.

Snagged this guy in one of my dynasty leagues and glad I did. Not comparing the two players nor their teams but I sense a little Brock Purdy here.

That's the comp I keep hearing. Not a wow athlete but a smart and calm distributor of the football.
He is no Lamar Jackson but he is no Peyton Manning either. We are talking about mobility here. He can move well inside the pocket. He has just enough ability to extend plays with his footwork. He is not scared at all and is willing to take chances. Maybe too willing. He reminds me of Brett Farve with his gunslinging mentality. There is not a window too small. The film of his throwing to David Bell now of the Cleveland Browns (Unless he got waived which I have not seen as of yet.) is priceless. Charlie Jones too (who won a spot on my Bengals roster).

Looked at a Raiders depth chart today. Brian Hoyer is actually the #2 QB going into the season?
Yes. And not surprising. If the Raiders needed an in game, injury substitute an experienced QB like Hoyer likely makes more sense.

I think the consensus is that if they were to lose Garoppolo for an extended period they would instead turn to O'Connell as the starter. With the week preceding to prepare him.

O'Connell looks the part, with better preseason performances than the other QBs drafted this season. Jimmy G can't last 4 weeks without an injury. O'Connell can be the Raiders version of Brock Purdy.

Jimmy G out tomorrow. No announcement yet on who will start between Hoyer or O'Connell, but if you still have a chance to grab AOC in 2QB or Superflex, you better hit that wire with the quickness.

Users who are viewing this thread