What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jameis Winston, NO (10 Viewers)

heckmanm said:
So is there some secret-super-genius Sean Payton reason that they haven't put him on IR yet? I'd like to hold in dynasty but was hoping to free up a roster spot before waivers ran.

Yeah, really don't understand this. I'm in the same boat. May have to let him go in order to pick someone up.

Same issue with J.J. Watt (I'm in IDP league).

Jameis Winston (knee surgery) could be sidelined into training camp.

This would impact the free agent market for Winston, who went 5-2 as a starter before landing on season-ending IR. With Taysom Hill getting extended in November, there are doubts whether Winston will re-sign with the Saints. One of the top quarterbacks in this year's free agent class, Winston is unlikely to accept a team-friendly deal after settling for a one-year, $5.5 million contract. The Steelers had Winston interest last offseason and are a potential landing spot with Ben Roethlisberger retiring.

SOURCE: USA Today Sports

Jan 21, 2022, 8:39 PM ET

The Tampa Bay Times's John Romano believes the Bucs could bring back free agent Jameis Winston to replace Tom Brady this offseason.

Winston spent his first five seasons in Tampa and is likely open to returning given his ties to the Bucs. Tampa has limited cap space and would need to mortgage draft picks to bring in any of the veteran quarterbacks on the trade market. That makes Winston a potential team-friendly replacement that allows the Bucs to compete next year. Winston, who's expected to be ready for Week 1 after undergoing ACL surgery in November, is the headline of this year's free agent class after a career-high 102.8 rating and 14:3 TD/INT ratio in seven starts before landing on IR. The 28-year-old led the NFL in passing yards (5,109) in his final year with the Bucs.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Feb 5, 2022, 10:39 AM ET

The Athletic's Greg Auman "doesn't expect" impending free agent Jameis Winston to sign with the Bucs.

Auman is the Bucs' top beat writer, so his opinion carries weight. Winston's name has come up as a possible replacement for Tom Brady in Tampa Bay due to his experience in coach Bruce Arians and OC Byron Leftwich's system, but that was a system in which he led the league with 30 interceptions back in 2019. He's also coming off a torn ACL. We'd expect both the Bucs and Winston to be looking at other options rather than a reunion.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 9, 2022, 2:34 PM ET

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler said "many around the league expect" the Saints to bring back Jameis Winston in 2022. 

Winston proved a viable starting option for the Saints before tearing his ACL in early November, throwing 14 touchdowns to three picks as the Saints started the season 5-2. The team keeping its coaching staff intact after Sean Payton's departure points to another shot for Winston to start for New Orleans in 2022, Fowler said. "Offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael knows how to use Winston and maximize his skill set," Fowler said. "That means a lot of play-action, on which Winston has averaged 9.8 yards per dropback since 2019, the most in the NFL." Winston, the QB17 in fantasy points per game before his season-ending injury, had the league's sixth worst completion rate over expected through Week 7. He'll be a weekly floor option if he stays in New Orleans. 

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Feb 22, 2022, 11:35 AM ET

Jameis Winton (ACL surgery) resumed running on Monday.

ESPN's Adam Schefter shared a video of Winston on a treadmill, reporting that it was the quarterback's first day running since tearing his ACL on October 31 against the Buccaneers. Winston is a free agent, but expectations are that he re-signs with the Saints. Given the timing of his injury, Winston may not be back to 100% mobility until mid-way through the season, but the pocket passer could still be ready for Week 1. Winston showed enough in 2021 to serve as a strong bridge quarterback option, if healthy.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 28, 2022, 1:55 PM ET

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said signing Jameis Winston would not be "the best thing" for the quarterback.

Arians said he was "not totally" opposed to signing Winston. This was far from an endorsement of the former Bucs quarterback. Arians often seemed frustrated with his quarterback's numerous mistakes while the two were working together in Tampa Bay. Winston's 30 interceptions in 2019 were the most in a single season since 1988. The Saints are currently clearing up cap space at a feverish pace, likely in an effort to bring Winston back. He cut down on the interceptions and sacks during his six appearances last year and New Orleans undoubtedly sees themselves as a competent quarterback away from making the postseason. Expect Winston to return for a third season in New Orleans.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: PewterReport on Twitter

Mar 1, 2022, 3:04 PM ET

Saints GM Mickey Loomis has confirmed re-signing impending free agent Jameis Winston is "an option."

“Jameis is an option for us and we hope we’re an option for Jameis," were Loomis' exact words. With Bruce Arians ruling out a Jameis/Bucs reunion, returning to New Orleans definitely makes the most sense from Winston's perspective, and probably the Saints', as well. The question is if they will pair him with a rookie signal caller as they try to fight their way out of the post-Drew Brees/Sean Payton wilderness. Winston's market is complicated by his recovery from a torn ACL, though he seems to be on pace in his rehab. 

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter 

Mar 3, 2022, 3:07 PM ET

NFL reporter Josina Anderson reports Jameis Winston has spoken with the Saints and Colts. 

The Saints, Anderson said, have offered Winston a contract after he played in New Orleans on a one-year deal in 2021. Coming off a season-ending ACL injury in November, Winston said he's "in good spirits" as he evaluates where he wants to play in 2022. "I still view myself as a starter in this league and that's what I'm looking for," he said. After playing a more controlled, conservative game for the Saints in 2021, Winston could be a good fit for the run-heavy, conservative Colts offense that ditched Carson Wentz after one season. He finished 2021 with 14 touchdowns and three interceptions in seven games. Winston was 28th in completion rate over expected, with the tenth highest adjusted EPA per drop back in 2021. 

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter 

Mar 17, 2022, 1:15 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jameis Winston is "back in play" for the Saints after they missed out on Deshaun Watson. 

As expected, the quarterback market was just waiting on Watson to make a decision. The Saints tried to hide him a bit, but Winston was actually efficient last season and threw just three interceptions on 161 attempts before the ACL injury. The Saints could do worse. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 18, 2022, 4:51 PM ET

I’m eager to see which Winston shows up. 30/30 is HOF caliber in baseball - NFL, notsomuch. 

Looked like Payton had him playing well, and very conservatively. Didn’t he average like 3 yards per throw? 

Also didn’t have Michael Thomas, which could have an impact.

Could be Winston was the best value QB signing this offseason. Or it could be he’s the same reckless $10 arm, $.10 brain dude he was in TB. 

Time will tell. 

Also curious how long Kamara will be suspended for. 

I’m eager to see which Winston shows up. 30/30 is HOF caliber in baseball - NFL, notsomuch. 

Looked like Payton had him playing well, and very conservatively. Didn’t he average like 3 yards per throw? 

Also didn’t have Michael Thomas, which could have an impact.

Could be Winston was the best value QB signing this offseason. Or it could be he’s the same reckless $10 arm, $.10 brain dude he was in TB. 

Time will tell. 

Also curious how long Kamara will be suspended for. 
Indeed a caveat for not having Thomas, but Winston was definitely not as good as his numbers suggested. He had something of an up and down season, where he had 2 really good games, and 2 really awful games, and was pretty meh, in the other 2 before getting hurt in another meh game. 

Interestingly, he had both the lowest Average depth of target, and highest time to throw of his career, which is odd, because those 2 stats tend to counteract one another. Now Sean Payton is gone, and Winston feels like a guy to bet against to me. 

I think QB is in play at #18. 

Indeed a caveat for not having Thomas, but Winston was definitely not as good as his numbers suggested. He had something of an up and down season, where he had 2 really good games, and 2 really awful games, and was pretty meh, in the other 2 before getting hurt in another meh game. 

Interestingly, he had both the lowest Average depth of target, and highest time to throw of his career, which is odd, because those 2 stats tend to counteract one another. Now Sean Payton is gone, and Winston feels like a guy to bet against to me. 

I think QB is in play at #18. 
Or he’s their key to picking a QB in the top 5 in 2023

Or he’s their key to picking a QB in the top 5 in 2023
If that's the plan, why spend any money on him, and just roll with Hill?

ETA: Actually, Hill is 7-2 as a starter the last 2 years. Maybe they should have just stuck with him regardless?

Last edited by a moderator:
Winston was incorporating the playbook incrementally week by week. By the time he was hurt, he had the bulk of it down (call it 3/4?).

Here were Winston's stats for 2021. At the time of his injury, he was at 7.3 yards/attempt (7.7 career), 12.3 yards/completion (12.6 career), and a career high in both passer rating and adjusted net yards per attempt (a sabermetric measure).

Even a rough sailing season needs a skipper. Too bad the little buddy is going to be suspended. Ginger looking a little long in the tooth and limping on a bad ankle meant missing many episodes. The Howells are still throwing money at stuff and Maryann just had surgery on a thumb. Who would have thought that the professor would finally use his smarts and leave the Island? 

He had something of an up and down season, where he had 2 really good games, and 2 really awful games, and was pretty meh, in the other 2 before getting hurt in another meh game.
The up-and-down thing is definitely true. I still think the best was yet to come for him at the time of his injury -- he had been on a short leash for the first few weeks, and there was also the first Panthers game where most of the team's coaching staff was out with COVID. The whole offense looked lost that day.

Winston was incorporating the playbook incrementally week by week. By the time he was hurt, he had the bulk of it down (call it 3/4?).

Here were Winston's stats for 2021. At the time of his injury, he was at 7.3 yards/attempt (7.7 career), 12.3 yards/completion (12.6 career), and a career high in both passer rating and adjusted net yards per attempt (a sabermetric measure).
He was there the year before too. He should’ve had the playbook down cold. That doesn’t sound like a legit reason. 

Ya know you gotta wonder right? I thought that Hill was even more than smoke and mirrors. He was the best lipstick you've ever seen on a pig. Like amazingly good. It still was something that barely worked when it did. It was kinda obvious to the peanut gallery but with all that smoke it was hard to know for sure. 

He was there the year before too. He should’ve had the playbook down cold. That doesn’t sound like a legit reason. 
No, not as in "learning the plays" from a binder ... also the muscle memory, repetition aspect of learning an offense during live action. Payton was calling from a limited playbook in 2021, as he had done with Brees early on.

Drew Brees has said that it took him about two seasons to master Payton's offense. Not merely operate functionally and fulfill assignments, but to be able to deviate meaningfully from what was drawn up on the board.

No, not as in "learning the plays" from a binder ... also the muscle memory, repetition aspect of learning an offense during live action. Payton was calling from a limited playbook in 2021, as he had done with Brees early on.

Drew Brees has said that it took him about two seasons to master Payton's offense. Not merely operate functionally and fulfill assignments, but to be able to deviate meaningfully from what was drawn up on the board.
Safe to say Jameis “crab legs” Winston is not quite as cerebral as Drew “HOF” Brees. 

The up-and-down thing is definitely true. I still think the best was yet to come for him at the time of his injury -- he had been on a short leash for the first few weeks, and there was also the first Panthers game where most of the team's coaching staff was out with COVID. The whole offense looked lost that day.
Yeah I agree I thought he was about to take a next step when he got hurt. I was watching that game and I remember thinking that he looked more physically fit than he ever had. There was a play where he scrambled and IMO looked very nimble. Then he blew his knee out a little later. 

Hill is a horrible QB.
Horrible is a stretch, he's a very limited passer for sure, but he's been an effective starter for them. I'd argue he's as good as Winston, when you factor in what he brings to the running game. Hill has been more accurate and a better decision maker than Winston, which is not me complimenting Hill.

Horrible is a stretch, he's a very limited passer for sure, but he's been an effective starter for them. I'd argue he's as good as Winston, when you factor in what he brings to the running game. Hill has been more accurate and a better decision maker than Winston, which is not me complimenting Hill.
He's a really bad passer. I'd rather hope that Winston becomes less reckless as he ages than to throw Hill out there as a full time starter. 

Hill has been more accurate and a better decision maker than Winston, which is not me complimenting Hill.
FWIW, Winston's 2021 passer rating was 102.8 and Hill's was 75.4. To be fair to Hill, his rating in 2020 was 98.8 over four starts.

I can agree that Hill is more risk-averse with his throws, but that just means he eats the ball and either takes off running or takes the sack.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's a really bad passer. I'd rather hope that Winston becomes less reckless as he ages than to throw Hill out there as a full time starter. 
Unless they draft a QB or end up with Mayfield (both would be better options) I think we'll see both Winston and Hill start games this season. I'm terrified of Winston without Payton. 

I think bad is unfair, just limited. He completed over 70% of his passes in 2020, with a YPA of 7.7. 

FWIW, Winston's 2021 passer rating was 102.8 and Hill's was 75.4. To be fair to Hill, his rating in 2020 was 98.8 over four starts.

I can agree that Hill is more risk-averse with his throws, but that just means he eats the ball and either takes off running or takes the sack.
To be fair to Hill, he had a scary concussion, and then was playing through a similar, but not quite as bad finger injury as Wilson in 2021. I think 2020 is a more accurate representation. 

Personally, I'd rather have both be backups. 

I've love to see Jameis with a full camp and having Thomas/Kamara/whatever they have at WR. He's still going to have an ADP north of #170 (11th round in 16-teamers), which means huge value if he can be good as a starter. He desperately needs am O-Line though, remember last year they had so many injuries to the line he was runnign for his life.

Jameis Winston said he's working to improve his accuracy on intermediate passes. 

An aggressive and productive downfield thrower during his tenure with Tampa, Winston has never been an accurate passer on shorter throws. Improving on intermediate attempts will prove critical for Winston and the New Orleans offense in 2022 with the anticipated return of Michael Thomas, who has long dominated on short slant routes. Before his late-season ACL injury in 2021, Winston was the fourth least aggressive quarterback in the NFL, according to Next Gen Stats. That was largely due to the hyper-conservative nature of the Saints offense. “I know I can make the big plays, but really just staying in the rhythm of completing the football, keeping the offense going throughout the course of a game is something that I’ve been able to focus on,” Winston said.

RELATED: 

Michael Thomas

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Apr 4, 2022, 9:29 AM ET

Saints head coach Dennis Allen said the team plans on having Jameis Winston (ACL) ready for Week 1. 

“There’s a lot of days between now and Week One, but we certainly like where he’s at right now,” Allen said. “We like the progress that he’s making." Winston tore his ACL at the end of October, effectively tanking the Saints' 2021 season after a promising start. Barring a setback in his recovery from the knee injury, Winston should be under center for New Orleans to start the year. He'll get Michael Thomas back from injury and hyper-productive Ohio State WR Chris Olave -- a potential boon for his fantasy value. 

RELATED: 

Andy Dalton

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter 

May 6, 2022, 11:35 AM ET

The Athletic's Katherine Terrell reports Jameis Winston (knee) "did almost everything" at Thursday's OTAs.

This is a positive sign for Winston, who is returning from a torn ACL suffered in late October. The Saints aren't expected to push Winston to get on the field, but the fact that he participated in most of Thursday's practice is encouraging. Winston threw for 1,170 yards, 14 touchdowns and three interceptions in seven games for the Saints last season and was the QB15 in fantasy points per game (18.7). A healthy Winston would be good for both the Saints and fantasy managers -- especially with added weapons in Jarvis Landry and Chris Olave.

SOURCE: Katherine Terrell on Twitter

May 26, 2022, 3:51 PM ET

Winston is on my short list for QB2s this year.  He costs you next to nothing and could post low-mid range QB1 numbers some weeks. Give him a few weeks and see where he's a. 

@ ATL > TB > @CAR  > MIN 

You'll have a pretty good idea what you've got by then. 

MMQB: Jameis Winston Grateful to be Back With Saints

Excerpt:

There was a point this offseason where Jameis Winston’s motivation was pretty modest.

“The first few weeks, I was sleeping on my parents’ couch—no hotel, I’m sleeping on their couch,” said Winston over the phone after Thursday’s OTA session in New Orleans. “And it got to the point where I was like, I got to get off this couch! Like, there’s no way I can stay on this couch. Going to rehab, coming back, sitting on the couch, icing and then going to sleep on the couch, it was like, No, I didn’t live my life to live on my parents’ couch.”

Blessings have come in different ways the past couple years for Winston. Blessings not the same as earning a five-star rating as a high school recruit, or the Heisman Trophy as a Florida State redshirt freshman in 2013, or taking home a national title a month after that, and becoming the first pick in the draft in April of 2015.

You can call the blessings coming now modest, if you want. And Winston isn’t the only one in New Orleans fired up to see where those blessings wind up taking him.

A marker in Winston’s comeback from ACL reconstruction in November involved being able to break free from his folks’ two bedroom apartment in Birmingham, Ala. That was a few months ago, and since, he’s worked his way from being limited to throwing the ball inside a 25-yard radius to, now, being able to let it rip, with a few steps left—he’s still not rolling out or throwing on the run—to get back to full speed.

What’s emerged is a more mature Winston, a smarter Winston, and a Winston with a very real appreciation for the opportunity that’s in front of him. Part of that’s being on a team that not only went in on him again—with a two-year, $28 million deal—but also doubled down on the star-studded existing core around him. That cast has been to the playoffs five consecutive years, rather than going through the cap purge many figured was coming.

The other part of it? It’s simply what he went through on the way here.

“I kind of like that back-against-the-wall mentality,” Winston said. “It’s being in the dungeon by yourself, and just coming out of it when you’re ready—when you’re ready to declare to this world that you’ve been doing the work in silence. And you do that with actions. So that’s how I view it. We still have a long year ahead of us. I’m just trying to be prepared for every opportunity that presents itself.”

The Saints’ bet on 2022, in so many ways, is a bet he will be their starting quarterback. And they aren’t making that bet blindly.

Well, the trend of rosy outlook glowing updates seems to have hit a snag.

Wearing a brace, noticeable limp, practice field success did not translate to contact drills, and didn’t participate in 11 on 11 drills. 

To be fair, probably to be expected in ACL recovery at this point, but there seemed to be a trend of growing optimism. 

“NewOrleans.football's Nick Underhill reports Jameis Winston moved "with a visible limp" during last week's OTAs. 

Winston is six months removed from surgery on the torn ACL he suffered in Week 7 of the 2021 season. "He practiced with a brace on his left knee and took part in every facet of practice, though he sat out the last period of 11-on-11 drills," Underhill reported. "The quarterback moved with a visible limp. He could push the ball downfield during individual drills but did not have the same ability in live action. Most of his passes during the team portion of practice stayed close to home." Underhill said Winston clearly "has some work to do in his recovery" from knee surgery. Head coach Dennis Allen has said Winston will be ready for training camp and will be the team's starting quarterback barring a setback. His progress will be well worth monitoring this summer.”

I mean it's 6 months after surgery. By the time the season starts will be 9 months after surgery, which still is pretty fast for recovery. I don't think he'll get PUP'd but the way rehab goes he could be ready for the season or miss the first 3 weeks.

Jameis Winston posted a video on Instagram that shows him doing throwing drills without a knee brace.

Winston tore his ACL on October 31 but has appeared on track to start in Week 1 for the Saints. In May it was noted that he was moving with a limp at OTAs, which makes his ability to work without a brace a positive development. Winston was very un-Winston-like in 2021, operating with high efficiency on low volume. With far better weapons—all three of the Saints 2021 starting wide receivers are now backups—Winston could earn more trust from his coaches this season, if healthy. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Jul 6, 2022, 9:33 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports it is "all positive" for Jameis Winston (ACL).

He added that Winston may take his bootlegs slowly in training camp, but the expectation is that "full health is coming." All signs point to Winston suiting up for Week 1. He suffered a torn ACL in Week 8 last year but was playing well before the injury. Winston tossed 14 scores and just three interceptions in his seven appearances. With Michael Thomas seemingly healthy plus Jarvis Landry and Chris Olave added to the roster, Winston's ADP is sure to rise if the positive reports keep coming. Going as a low-end QB2, Winston could greatly outperform his cost in fantasy drafts if he can keep the egregious mistakes from creeping back into his game. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 19, 2022, 7:39 PM ET

I'm coming around on Jameis having long term value in dynasty leagues (mostly Superflex). He's less cheap than he was a few months ago, but you can still get him for a late 1st or early 2nd. That's not a bad price given his age, upside, and how poorly the QB rookie class is this year. I don't recall a worse QB draft than this one.  

Appearing on the Establish the Run podcast, NewOrleans.Football's Nick Underhill expects the Saints to implement an "open, WR-based offense" under new coach Dennis Allen.

As Underhill noted, OC Pete Carmichael used "11 personnel" -- one RB, one TE, three WRs -- more than 50% of the time in 2012 when coach Sean Payton was suspended. And now Carmichael is the guy running the show on offense with Payton resigning after last season. Underhill expects Jameis Winston's pass attempts to rise from last season when the Saints were extremely run-based. And Underhill even thinks first-round WR Chris Olave could lead the team in receiving yards because his deep-threat, big-play style meshes perfectly with what Winston likes to do as a passer. A much-improved wideout room with Olave, the return of Michael Thomas, and addition of slot man Jarvis Landry paves the way for the Saints to throw the ball more effectively. Winston is currently being drafted as a back-end QB2 in fantasy.

- Establish The Run podcast
If we can lock that in as the base O and now with no dumb Taysom Hill gimmicks, there's plenty of late sleeper appeal to Jameis at his 155-160 ADP. It's all up to Jameis to continue what he did last year with an improved offensive line.

Users who are viewing this thread