What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jordan Love, GB (1 Viewer)

Bump Finley
He had three good years.   I'll let you make the argument that his 8 td year was great, but then it's one great, one good, one fine where he only scored two tds, and then a bunch injured.  Not really the numbers of solid third option year to year.

Cultivader said:
Drafting Love in the first round is one of the biggest mistakes I’ve ever seen GB make. For all the reasons listed in this thread. It’s not Jamarcus Russell bad, but what exactly were they thinking?

I think its pretty clear what the team was thinking.  The idea is that its better to plan for succession and find your QB before you desperately need one. Whether that's right or wrong is a separate discussion but I think that is obviously the thought process. As for the pick itself, he's still on the roster and time will tell, but I note that the Raiders had two higher picks (12 and 19) in the first round that same draft. Neither player is on a team today and both are almost certainly prison-bound.

I think its pretty clear what the team was thinking.  The idea is that its better to plan for succession and find your QB before you desperately need one. Whether that's right or wrong is a separate discussion but I think that is obviously the thought process. As for the pick itself, he's still on the roster and time will tell, but I note that the Raiders had two higher picks (12 and 19) in the first round that same draft. Neither player is on a team today and both are almost certainly prison-bound.
Agree, hindsight is 20/20 - Rodgers was coming off a pretty bad year.  They literally followed the road map that lead them to Rodgers taking over for Favre and 30 years of football relevance.  I don't fault them at all for taking Jordan Love.  Should they have discussed it with Rodgers?  Probably... but I don't think anyone knew the backlash that loomed ahead. 

In a QB driven league, I would take a QB every 3 years.  Probably not with the first round pick, but maybe... if the situation were dire enough.  GB didn't know Rodgers would have the bounce back year he did with an MVP season... 

He's played with a handful of great wr1s in his career.   Unfortunately he's never had a killer x/y/z (or even x/y/te) combo.
Not saying you are wrong, but how many QBs in the past 20 years have had 3 killer targets to throw to in the same season? Like Top 5 WR / Top 10 WR / Top 3 TE or Top 5 WR / Top 10 WR / Top 20 WR? Brady in Tampa is close, but his guys were hurt a lot (and thus didn't play that much all together).

Not saying you are wrong, but how many QBs in the past 20 years have had 3 killer targets to throw to in the same season? Like Top 5 WR / Top 10 WR / Top 3 TE or Top 5 WR / Top 10 WR / Top 20 WR? Brady in Tampa is close, but his guys were hurt a lot (and thus didn't play that much all together).
A fair point.   I recall a number of times we'd go into a season thinking a qb had that type of stacked offense but it never seems to play out that way.

Manning had Harrison/Wayne/Stokely/Clark for a minute there, which is a pretty beastly lineup.

A fair point.   I recall a number of times we'd go into a season thinking a qb had that type of stacked offense but it never seems to play out that way.

Manning had Harrison/Wayne/Stokely/Clark for a minute there, which is a pretty beastly lineup.
I went back to 2000. There were only two times when a team had three players with 150+ fantasy points in a season (WR and TE). Both involved Peyton.

One was the 2004 Colts with Harrison (201), Wayne (193), and Stokley (165). The other was the 2013 Broncos with DThomas (227), Decker (195), and JThomas (151).

I went back to 2000. There were only two times when a team had three players with 150+ fantasy points in a season (WR and TE). Both involved Peyton.

One was the 2004 Colts with Harrison (201), Wayne (193), and Stokley (165). The other was the 2013 Broncos with DThomas (227), Decker (195), and JThomas (151).
Basically if you want top wrs, better have the elder Manning throwing to you.

Kind of surprised the "Greatest show on turf" Rams didn't make the cut, but it wouldn't surprise me if their 3rd/4th wrs didn't cannibalize each other.

Basically if you want top wrs, better have the elder Manning throwing to you.

Kind of surprised the "Greatest show on turf" Rams didn't make the cut, but it wouldn't surprise me if their 3rd/4th wrs didn't cannibalize each other.
I didn't specify, but I posted point totals for 0 PPR scoring. For WR, 150 points these days is around Top 15. For TE, that's usually good for Top 2-3.

Lowering the bar to 125 points (basically Top 25ish for WR and Top 5ish for TE) . . .

2012 ATL - Jones (183), White (177), Gonzalez (141)
2011 ATL - White (178), Jones (150), Gonzalez (130)
2020 CAR - Moore (146), Samuel (135), Anderson (129)
2021 DAL - Lamb (154), Cooper (135), Schultz (129)
2013 DEN - DThomas (227), Decker (195), JThomas (151), Welker (138)
2004 IND - Harrison (201), Wayne (193), Stokley (165)
2014 NEP - Gronk (184), LaFell (139), Edelman (131)
2011 NEP - Gronk (241), Welker (214), Hernandez (138)
2012 NOS - Colston (175), Graham (152), Moore (140)
2017 PHI - Jeffery (133), Agholor (132), Ertz (130)
2020 PIT - Claypool (155), JuJu (137), Johnson (136)

Still not a ton of occurrences. That's 11 times in 21 seasons . . . roughly once every other year. Several of those I would never have thought of with unlimited guesses.

He had three good years.   I'll let you make the argument that his 8 td year was great, but then it's one great, one good, one fine where he only scored two tds, and then a bunch injured.  Not really the numbers of solid third option year to year.
Honestly it was just an excuse to say that old Forum Favourite line again. But thanks for the stats reminder!

Cultivader said:
Drafting Love in the first round is one of the biggest mistakes I’ve ever seen GB make. For all the reasons listed in this thread. It’s not Jamarcus Russell bad, but what exactly were they thinking?
How long have you been a GB fan? Do you think Derek Sherrod was a good first round pick? Or Datone Jones? Or Justin Harrell? Just because they used a pick on a developmental QB I'd still say it looks like a better pick than any of those guys GB has wasted first round draft choices on. 

And for the first THREE years Rodgers was drafted people were saying the exact same thing that you are saying now about him. "Why would you draft a QB to hold a clipboard and watch a HOF'er!?".

Jordan Love completed 12-of-24 passes for 113 yards and one touchdown in the Packers' preseason game against the Saints.​

Love played into the third quarter in this one, throwing several nice balls on the evening. One of his best throws came in the second quarter when he found wide receiver Juwann Winfree in tight coverage for a 21-yard gain, while another well-thrown ball to wide receiver Amari Rodgers resulted in a drop after Love threaded the needle to get it to his intended target. He would throw a four-yard touchdown to rookie receiver Romeo Doubs midway through the second quarter and didn't turn the ball over in this one. Love remains locked in as the Packers' QB2 behind Aaron Rodgers, a role he's occupied since the team selected him in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft.
Aug 19, 2022, 10:50 PM ET

Tough to still hold him as a dynasty prospect. Rodgers with all his oddities still shows no sign of slowing down.

Ron Wolf once discussed openly about ruining a players value and contract stance.

He discussed players should never re-sign unless guaranteed a starting spot...to some degree.

Also, how developing a QB crushes both demand and salary and how safe it is and....ooh it sounded so underhandedly clever.

He is so far removed from Green Bay but I can't help but recall and wonder if it's applied here.

Love was a coveted QB that could have presumably been up for big $ soon simply if he played well.

Now what?

Ron Wolf once discussed openly about ruining a players value and contract stance.

He discussed players should never re-sign unless guaranteed a starting spot...to some degree.

Also, how developing a QB crushes both demand and salary and how safe it is and....ooh it sounded so underhandedly clever.

He is so far removed from Green Bay but I can't help but recall and wonder if it's applied here.

Love was a coveted QB that could have presumably been up for big $ soon simply if he played well.

Now what?

It's only safe if they are good. Love has looked terrible every time I've seen him. Yes, a guy like Huntley for example should he continue his trajectory and hit UFA after year 4 would likely get some big sniffs at a starting spot - something like Mariotta and Trubisky this year, 2 year $20ishM. But I can't imagine anyone offering Love any kind of contract based on his play thus far. Trubisky got 1 year 2.5M from BUF after his rookie deal expired and that's where Love is heading. I think even if Rodgers retired after 2024 they wouldn't sign Love anywhere near market value, he just hasn't shown anything on the field.

Reactions: Bri
He had three good years. I'll let you make the argument that his 8 td year was great, but then it's one great, one good, one fine where he only scored two tds, and then a bunch injured. Not really the numbers of solid third option year to year.
Honestly it was just an excuse to say that old Forum Favourite line again. But thanks for the stats reminder!
I named my second daughter Finley

Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst "suggested there could be discussion" about Jordan Love starting games late in the regular season.​

It's far from a sure thing, of course, but the Packers are nearly eliminated from postseason contention and Aaron Rodgers is dealing with a variety of injuries. Gutekunst this week all but committed to Rodgers, 39, as the team's 2023 starter, which should open up trade possibilities for Love. In Week 12 against the Eagles, Love threw for 113 yards and a touchdown on nine attempts in relief of an injured Rodgers. He appeared vastly improved from his previous regular season appearances, moving the pocket and confidently slinging well-thrown balls to Packers receivers against a league-best Philadelphia secondary. Rodgers has told Packers beat writers that he would approach late-season starts for Love with an "open mind" after a lost season. Love is likely a better fantasy option than Rodgers and can be stashed in deeper leagues this week.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Packersnews.com
Dec 6, 2022, 10:35 AM ET

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Colts traded for Love rather than drafting a QB? He certainly would be cheaper than moving up to #1. Having said that, I don't think the Bears want to move down further than 4 because they want one of Anderson or Carter. Plus, it's not like there is a Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow in this class, so that will cap how much the Bears will get for that pick.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Colts traded for Love rather than drafting a QB? He certainly would be cheaper than moving up to #1. Having said that, I don't think the Bears want to move down further than 4 because they want one of Anderson or Carter. Plus, it's not like there is a Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow in this class, so that will cap how much the Bears will get for that pick.
This wouldn’t make any sense. If the Packers are willing to trade love, that means he’s probably never going to be starter worthy. If he is going to be starter material, why would they trade him now?

This wouldn’t make any sense. If the Packers are willing to trade love, that means he’s probably never going to be starter worthy. If he is going to be starter material, why would they trade him now?
Because @JohnnyU is a Colts' fan and he doesn't want to pay the asking price to get Young/Stroud.

Because @JohnnyU is a Colts' fan and he doesn't want to pay the asking price to get Young/Stroud.
Completely justified in a draft that doesn't have a Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow. Or from days gone by, Andrew Luck or RGIII. The Colts should sit tight at 4 and if the desired QB is gone, move down for additional draft capital and worry about QB later. Either through FA, trade, or in the 2nd round (Hooker?).

Completely justified in a draft that doesn't have a Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow. Or from days gone by, Andrew Luck or RGIII. The Colts should sit tight at 4 and if the desired QB is gone, move down for additional draft capital and worry about QB later. Either through FA, trade, or in the 2nd round (Hooker?).
I don't know how you can say that with such certainty. I do think Young/Stroud will go 1-2 so if the Colts want one I think they'll need to move up.

I don't know how you can say that with such certainty. I do think Young/Stroud will go 1-2 so if the Colts want one I think they'll need to move up.
Of course no one knows for sure, but I've listened to many podcasts and the consensus is that this draft doesn't have a QB as highly rated as those I mentioned. I agree that they might have to move up, but you never know, someone may be enamored with Levis and move up and take him ahead of Stroud and possibly Young. Regardless, I think the Colts should stand pat at 4. If their guy is there, so be it. If not, trade and move down and accumulate more picks. Then either look at someone like Love, Lance, etc., or draft Hooker in the 2nd round.

Colts, with Rodgers, would be a formidable opponent for the next 3-5 years, but picking through other people's trash hasn't worked well for the Colts , now has it?
forget the Carr/Matty Ice type people. Cooper Rush is a f/a isn't he? young guy, plays well, they only need a game manager like Trent Dilfer was. They have talent up to their ears all over the roster. You could do worse than Rush.
I fully expect the market for a QB to explode. Giants really going to pay Danny Dimes 35-40 mil as the 18th best QB? really? hale no.

I think its pretty clear what the team was thinking. The idea is that its better to plan for succession and find your QB before you desperately need one. Whether that's right or wrong is a separate discussion but I think that is obviously the thought process. As for the pick itself, he's still on the roster and time will tell, but I note that the Raiders had two higher picks (12 and 19) in the first round that same draft. Neither player is on a team today and both are almost certainly prison-bound.
Agree, hindsight is 20/20 - Rodgers was coming off a pretty bad year. They literally followed the road map that lead them to Rodgers taking over for Favre and 30 years of football relevance. I don't fault them at all for taking Jordan Love. Should they have discussed it with Rodgers? Probably... but I don't think anyone knew the backlash that loomed ahead.

In a QB driven league, I would take a QB every 3 years. Probably not with the first round pick, but maybe... if the situation were dire enough. GB didn't know Rodgers would have the bounce back year he did with an MVP season...
trading up to get Love while Jalen Hirts was on the board is very much a mistake. Extending Rodgers after selecting love is a mistake.

Gute is a clown. You know how many pro bowlers he’s drafted in his 48 picks? 2. I’d think this has got to be pretty close or below league average.

Colts, with Rodgers, would be a formidable opponent for the next 3-5 years, but picking through other people's trash hasn't worked well for the Colts , now has it?
forget the Carr/Matty Ice type people. Cooper Rush is a f/a isn't he? young guy, plays well, they only need a game manager like Trent Dilfer was. They have talent up to their ears all over the roster. You could do worse than Rush.
I fully expect the market for a QB to explode. Giants really going to pay Danny Dimes 35-40 mil as the 18th best QB? really? hale no.
The Colts can't afford another dime on a veteran QB. They need to go the rookie route.

🤮 That is a terrible reality to have to face.

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman writes "Nobody should blame [Jordan] Love if he requests a trade if [Aaron] Rodgers returns."​

Schneidman continues "if Love requests a trade and Brian Gutekunst doesn’t honor the request, Love could hold out and the Packers not only don’t get 2023 draft capital for Love, but also have their backup quarterback not show up." He cautions that this hinges on a Rodgers return and what he thinks the team will do, not what they should do. He also speculates that the Packers could only get back a late Day 3 pick for Love. The latest Aaron Rodgers offseason decision will, as usual, knock down a lot of dominos. A Love trade could be of interest to some of the rebuilding teams in the league in the event that Rodgers stays.
Jan 27, 2023, 1:41 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread