What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Javonte Williams, DEN (1 Viewer)

but it sure looked like the same old, same old. Wilson was constantly under pressure and even when he had time, he made poor decisions and overlooked open guys in favor of the big play. If we see this continuing as a trend, teams will just stack the box, take away the run and dare Wilson to beat them with his arm--thus lowering JW's value.
No idea what game you were watching but this is simply not true. When Wilson had time he threw (and except for the first play bootleg) completed to his primary read or moved through the progression to his second (first completion).

Wilson Game 1

but it sure looked like the same old, same old. Wilson was constantly under pressure and even when he had time, he made poor decisions and overlooked open guys in favor of the big play. If we see this continuing as a trend, teams will just stack the box, take away the run and dare Wilson to beat them with his arm--thus lowering JW's value.
No idea what game you were watching but this is simply not true. When Wilson had time he threw (and except for the first play bootleg) completed to his primary read or moved through the progression to his second (first completion).

Wilson Game 1
I don't want to get between you two but I watched the game and made comments in the moment

Russ was out there well into the 2nd Q/almost halftime and he hits Jeudy vs scrubs who will be CUT on Arizona which has a poor defense to begin with
If you want to hang your at on that preseason game and put someone down like they were watching the Ice Capades, I wathhed that game and Denver looked GAWD AWFUL on offense with their front line starters out there battling back ups and scrubs

You sound like Eugene Levy in Vacation

Just asking you to take a step back and not put down folks that aren't agreeing with you.
Good Luck, Cheers!

Wilson Game 1
I don't want to get between you two but I watched the game and made comments in the moment

Russ was out there well into the 2nd Q/almost halftime and he hits Jeudy vs scrubs who will be CUT on Arizona which has a poor defense to begin with
If you want to hang your at on that preseason game and put someone down like they were watching the Ice Capades, I wathhed that game and Denver looked GAWD AWFUL on offense with their front line starters out there battling back ups and scrubs

Just asking you to take a step back and not put down folks that aren't agreeing with you.
Good Luck, Cheers!
I'm not putting anyone down. Just responding to the single incorrect assertion that Wilson overlooked open guys in favor of the big play. And absolutely nothing else.

Look at the video clip. On the very first play Wilson does the exact opposite of what is asserted by the poster. Instead of waiting too long for Sutton to get open for the "big play" (and overlooking the open Jeudy), Wilson moves on and makes a completion across the middle before the pressure gets to him.

So perhaps instead of providing video clips of movies that serve as nothing but a personal attack, you could instead provide a video that supports the football point that is actually being debated.

You can tell from JW's responses in this interview that he believes he needs to get tackled as his last psychological hurdle to feel fully confident in the recovery process.

According to Broncos' reporter Mike Klis, he has been "popped" several times in practice, but not yet tackled to the ground.

Looks quick and agile in the video. Brace is now off.

8-15 JW interview
Not super important but just curious, where did you see that the brace is now off?

Wilson Game 1

Good Luck, Cheers!
I'm not putting anyone down. Just responding to the single incorrect assertion that Wilson overlooked open guys in favor of the big play. And absolutely nothing else.

Look at the video clip. On the very first play Wilson does the exact opposite of what is asserted by the poster. Instead of waiting too long for Sutton to get open for the "big play" (and overlooking the open Jeudy), Wilson moves on and makes a completion across the middle before the pressure gets to him.

So perhaps instead of providing video clips of movies that serve as nothing but a personal attack, you could instead provide a video that supports the football point that is actually being debated.
I appreciate the clarification which is why I inserted the Vacation clip to lighten it up

Thank You Stone

You can tell from JW's responses in this interview that he believes he needs to get tackled as his last psychological hurdle to feel fully confident in the recovery process.

According to Broncos' reporter Mike Klis, he has been "popped" several times in practice, but not yet tackled to the ground.

8-15 JW interview
Not super important but just curious, where did you see that the brace is now off?
Good eye. In earlier TC sessions he was wearing a bulky external brace.

This new one appears to be some type of slimmed down sleeve/wrap under the blue stocking. Missed it with the quickness of the clip.

Not going to move the needle of course...but this was reported by the Denver Post prior to the AZ game. We'll see on Saturday.

Running back Javonte Williams went through warmups with the other running backs, but didn’t have a brace on his knee and only watched from the sideline. Samaje Perine got the start at running back.

HC Sean Payton said RB Javonte Williams will likely play 10-12 snaps against SF and maybe get about 3-4 carries. - Broncos reporter Aric DiLalla on Twitter/X

Just perfect, IMO.

8-15 JW interview
From today...

JW video clip last day of TC

Wilson Game 1

Good Luck, Cheers!
Ok I just watched the clip you linked. I did not rewind any plays or try to watch this in slow motion, but this is what I saw.

Wilson was mostly on time and accurate with his throws aside from one pass which was low and behind the receiver that forced him to come back and dig it out of the dirt.

I didn't watch how the offensive linemen were doing. Just Wilson.

So what was so gawd awful about that? Aside from one throw it was fine.

I can only assume you may be referring to other plays that were not in the clip you linked as nothing in that clip was terrible aside from the one bad throw.

Wilson Game 1

Good Luck, Cheers!
Ok I just watched the clip you linked. I did not rewind any plays or try to watch this in slow motion, but this is what I saw.

Wilson was mostly on time and accurate with his throws aside from one pass which was low and behind the receiver that forced him to come back and dig it out of the dirt.

I can only assume you may be referring to other plays that were not in the clip you linked as nothing in that clip was terrible aside from the one bad throw.
This guy is no Brett Kollman and definitely a Broncos homer but does a decent job breaking down a few more Wilson pass plays not in the first clip I provided.

The first play of the game was an obvious whiff by Wilson. But beyond that IMO it's either major O-line issues and/or a couple plays where 20/20 hindsight might suggest he woulda/coulda/shoulda done something differently in a split second.

Not to hijack JW thread but more video on the Wilson debate

Wilson Game 1

Good Luck, Cheers!

I appreciate the clarification which is why I inserted the Vacation clip to lighten it up

Thank You Stone
Stone is a good guy and knows his stuff and I don't want to spam up the Williams thread with Russ talk. However, I will stand by my assessment that if the Denver O-line doesn't show up this year and Wilson isn't consistent, then I won't touch Williams. I am going to take any further talk to the Wilson thread.

Wilson Game 1

Good Luck, Cheers!

This guy is no Brett Kollman and definitely a Broncos homer but does a decent job breaking down a few more Wilson pass plays not in the first clip I provided.

The first play of the game was an obvious whiff by Wilson. But beyond that IMO it's either major O-line issues and/or a couple plays where 20/20 hindsight might suggest he woulda/coulda/shoulda done something differently in a split second.

Not to hijack JW thread but more video on the Wilson debate
I"m not sure if that's good or bad?! Kollman is atrocious. two years ago , on underdog sports on youtube, he was drinking his whiskey glass, talking smug like, that Aiyuk was going to set the world on fire - he has a longer wingspan than Megatron, he says. Then as if Aiyuk falling flat on his face 2 years ago wasn't bad enough, the super smart know it all Kollman says he's doubling down on Aiyuk in 2022. survey says...wrong! He also lets us all in on a lil secret, a guy he's been watching since college - the great , one and only, Kenny Phillips, Tenn's next great WR ( wait, did they ever have a grweat WR?). anyways, I don't remember seeing Phillips amount to a hill of beans last season, or Aiyuk who was set to be Jerry Rice 2.0 according to Kollman.
Dude's a dope. I 100% respect underdog sports they rock, they know their business, but Kollman is an absolute clown. he has 5 'must have' players in a video on underdog sports on youtube right now. I'd bet the farm none of them materialize to anything more than also-ran ho-hum players, if that. I'd rather watch the fantasy footballers and their hokie scthick videos and fluff, rather than listen to Kollman's diarrhea of the mouth.

ACLs aren't even a concern anymore. Medical science can fix those. You should be just as high on him now as you were last season.

The only concern I have is that they may bring him back slowly. But the guy is ridiculously talented, always keeps his feet moving, and is hella slippery for a big fella.

My problem is, I'm usually set at RB by the time he is drafted and someone else who is needy at RB takes him or I draft a TE/WR instead. I'd love to have more shares.

Last edited:
ACLs aren't even a concern anymore. Medical science can fix those. You should be just as high on him now as you were last season.
I wouldn’t go that far, but it’s starting to look that way, although there’s been a few RBs that did have trouble coming back. If Javonte comes back strong, we’ll need to re-address it even further.

The only concern I have is that they may bring him back slowly. But the guy is ridiculously talented, always keeps his feet moving, and is hella slippery for a big fella.

My problem is, I'm usually set at RB by the time he is drafted and someone else who is needy at RB takes him or I draft a TE/WR instead. I'd love to have more shares.
He tore ACL,MCL, and LCL I believe

Goodness. 😰 Forget everything I said. That sounds terrible.

I didn't realize that his entire leg pretty much exploded. No wonder the reports I've read make it sound like the dude is walking on water.

Appreciate this information. Maybe I ought to be a bit more cautious...

Goodness. 😰 Forget everything I said. That sounds terrible.

I didn't realize that his entire leg pretty much exploded. No wonder the reports I've read make it sound like the dude is walking on water.

Appreciate this information. Maybe I ought to be a bit more cautious...
All reports have been positive with him so far. I’m surprised but it’s hard to deny what’s being shown.

Good that he played. Now he can be fully confident heading into week one and not have to carry the uncertainty in his head for three more weeks.

“It was like a weight lifted off me,’' Williams said. “I was thinking it would hurt or something but I really didn’t feel it. I got right back up. . . . It was all about getting the nerves out. I just wanted to get tackled again and see how it goes. That’s the biggest hurdle I feel I have left.

Javonte Williams rushed three times for 12 yards in the Broncos’ preseason game against the 49ers, adding four catches for 18 yards.
Denver’s first four plays all went to Williams. His first opportunity was a bungled screen, but he made up for the mistake with four catches in the first half, good for a team-high through 30 minutes. Williams split reps with Samaje Perine and stayed in the game after Russell Wilson left. It was remarkable to see Sean Payton pepper him with touches in his first game back from a catastrophic knee injury. All signs point to Williams being fully recovered from the injury and ready to take on a hefty workload by Week 1.

Such a talented guy, but such horrendous injury. He is just one of those guys I can quit. Has all the tools to be a upper tier NFL RB. Crossing fingers that leg holds up.

Such a talented guy, but such horrendous injury. He is just one of those guys I can quit. Has all the tools to be a upper tier NFL RB. Crossing fingers that leg holds up.
He will be considered a bust this year, but will be a value pick next year
So exactly what expectations do you (or the consensus) have of a redraft ADP RB28...that falling short would be considered a "bust?"

That's RB3 range. Seems like everyone there is a roll of the dice or mired in an RBBC. Few with Javonte's upside, however.

Last edited:
Injury aside are we overrating his talent and team?
This is exactly why I'm avoiding him: I don't know the answer to this question.

He's looked good in a small sample size. The team has looked bad. Will a new coach change that? Is Russ cooked? Other weapons on the team? Was the sample size too small?

Maybe if his ADP slips a bit more I change my tune but currently in half PPR redraft I like the options around him more: Montgomery, Kamara, J Cook etc.

Dwain McFarland
RB Javonte Williams returned to the field.

In two drives with the starting skill players, Williams and Samaje Perine split the backfield.

We didn't expect that sort of split until much later.

Outlook: Early-season RB3 that morphs into an RB2 with RB1 upside in the money weeks.
in other words potential league winner lol

I love to take chances on RBs like Javonte. Buy him as a #3 RB price but he'll have possible #1RB upside by mid season. Downside is he could be Dobbins from last year. Well worth it for a #3RB IMO

This is exactly why I'm avoiding him: I don't know the answer to this question.

He's looked good in a small sample size. The team has looked bad. Will a new coach change that? Is Russ cooked? Other weapons on the team? Was the sample size too small?

Maybe if his ADP slips a bit more I change my tune but currently in half PPR redraft I like the options around him more: Montgomery, Kamara, J Cook etc.
In his rookie year Javonte Williams had 1,219 yds / 43 recepts / 7 TD's in a 50/50 timeshare with Melvin Gordon as part of a putrid Pat Shurmur 24th ranked scoring offense led by career backups QB's T. Bridgewater and D. Lock.

Good for PPR RB17 in 2021 according to FantasyPros.

So you believe a Sean Payton-led offense led by a 2-time SB QB will be worse than 2021?

led offense led by a 2-time SB QB will be worse than 2021
Or the current version of Russell Wilson - there’s a big gap between those two versions now.
The current version of Wilson is unknowable due to last year's Hackett debacle. IMO it's somewhere btw vintage Wilson and last year.

In the last two games of 2022 after Hackett was fired RW averaged 250/passing, 23 rushing and 3Td's per game. Which doesn't suck.

Regardless, he's a step up from the Bridgewater/Lock tandem of 2021

Dwain McFarland

In two drives with the starting skill players, Williams and Samaje Perine split the backfield.

Outlook: Early-season RB3 that morphs into an RB2 with RB1 upside in the money weeks.

I love to take chances on RBs like Javonte. Buy him as a #3 RB price but he'll have possible #1RB upside by mid season. Downside is he could be Dobbins from last year. Well worth it for a #3RB IMO
Or, he will injure something else around his previous injury due to compensating and rushing back. I am rooting for JaWill but it blows my mind that he is able to come back so quickly from a very serious knee injury.

Back him up with Perine later to cover yourself.

This guy is talented but not sure what to expect this year - many coming off significant surgeries take some time to be 100% mentally. He even said he wasn't sure how it would go. Obviously this is a big step but it doesn't mean the mental side is over yet. Even Barkley said it took almost a whole year until he wasn't thinking about his knee anymore. Also, he's at a higher risk for an injury if he's compensating at all.

I do hope he gets back to 100% as soon as possible but there is definitely risk here drafting him. I just don't know where I would feel comfortable drafting him this year knowing it might take him over half the season to be back to his normal self.

This guy is talented but not sure what to expect this year - many coming off significant surgeries take some time to be 100% mentally. He even said he wasn't sure how it would go. Obviously this is a big step but it doesn't mean the mental side is over yet. Even Barkley said it took almost a whole year until he wasn't thinking about his knee anymore. Also, he's at a higher risk for an injury if he's compensating at all.

I do hope he gets back to 100% as soon as possible but there is definitely risk here drafting him. I just don't know where I would feel comfortable drafting him this year knowing it might take him over half the season to be back to his normal self.
Totally agree but thats baked into the price - hes a #3RB with #1 upside. If he was healthy theres no way he'd be available as a #3

Totally agree but thats baked into the price - hes a #3RB with #1 upside. If he was healthy theres no way he'd be available as a #3
Agree entirely. In mocks I see him sitting there at the 5.10 pick quite often. I’ll smash the Draft button if I can get him as my #3 RB.

led offense led by a 2-time SB QB will be worse than 2021
Or the current version of Russell Wilson - there’s a big gap between those two versions now.
The current version of Wilson is unknowable due to last year's Hackett debacle. IMO it's somewhere btw vintage Wilson and last year.

In the last two games of 2022 after Hackett was fired RW averaged 250/passing, 23 rushing and 3Td's per game. Which doesn't suck.

Regardless, he's a step up from the Bridgewater/Lock tandem of 2021
I agree that it's unknowable, but it's pretty disingenuous to frame him as a "2-time SB QB". While technically true, it's been almost a decade since then and his most recent season was dreadful.

Because it's unknowable, I don't think you can declare that he's a step up from 2021 either. It was Bridgewater as the starter until he got hurt in week 15, and his numbers were a good amount better than Wilson's were last year.

I think what he's saying is that you seem to be acting as if his floor is a #3RB. He's a #3RB with #1 upside and bench-clogger downside.

Don't get me wrong, I own him and hope he knocks it out of the park, but there's still a pretty wide range of outcomes for him this year.

Dwain McFarland

Or, he will injure something else around his previous injury due to compensating and rushing back. I am rooting for JaWill but it blows my mind that he is able to come back so quickly from a very serious knee injury.

Back him up with Perine later to co

Agree entirely. In mocks I see him sitting there at the 5.10 pick quite often. I’ll smash the Draft button if I can get him as my #3 RB.
I think 5.10 is reasonable but often he's going a lot earlier now, that is my issue. I think he's talented but the rising price is tough to determine where he should go. 5th round is a good place though if he lasts.

I think what he's saying is that you seem to be acting as if his floor is a #3RB. He's a #3RB with #1 upside and bench-clogger downside.

Don't get me wrong, I own him and hope he knocks it out of the park, but there's still a pretty wide range of outcomes for him this year.
completely agree - my point was if he does Dobbins it - as a #3RB it doesnt tank your season

Maybe if his ADP slips a bit more I change my tune but currently in half PPR redraft I like the options around him more: Montgomery,

I'm going to assume you are talking about ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY .
I'm pretty sure David Montgomery fits the bill of a 900yd rusher, who although he can catch passes better than some think, everything I ever read about Gibbs is he was an excellent pass catcher all throughout college.
The Lions had a better fantasy offense last year than most anticipated.
This just reeks of a scenario where they give a few games to Montgomery early season, and Gibbs eventually proves to be a better fit and takes over.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but wasn't Gibbs drafted as a top 15 pick?

I likely won't own either, but if I do, it will be Gibbs (end of bench stash) not Montgomery. I like Javonte more than any of those though. If he stays healthy he should have a pretty decent floor with great upside.

As per usual, injury could change everything in a hurry.

I think If Denver is willing to part with Javonte Williams +, this could be a win-win situation.

I definitely agree. Javonte could be a top 5-8 guy in the right scenario, and Denver simply isn't it.

I might just be a touch biased against Denver though . I had Russ Wilson on a big money 12 teamer standard last season, and outright dropped him for waiver wire trash of the week after week 6. (I think 5 or 6) He wasn't exactly "cookin", nor do I think he ever will again unless he gets some pointers from Gordon Ramsey or Emeril. Don't get me started on Jerry Jeudy. I think the better ceiling is with Courtland Sutton of he and Jeudy, but in my leagues (various flavors of start 3 WRs/no flex, and one pretty top RB heavy ppr/pptouch league) I doubt I own a single Bronco, unless I can get Javonte as my RB3, which actually could happen.

Well, this would suck.
As someone who rosters Taylor, Williams, and Samaje Perine in a Dynasty league, this would be considered nightmare scenario, especially if Williams or Perine weren't part of the package going to Indy.

I likely won't own either, but if I do, it will be Gibbs (end of bench stash) not Montgomery
End of the bench stash? Gibbs is going in Round 3 or 4.

Well guess who I won't be owning.....................
My redraft leagues don't typically draft rookies as high as a few others do, so perhaps I get him a tad cheaper.
If he's going anywhere near round 3, I will have exactly zero shares.

Users who are viewing this thread