What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jordan Howard , NO (2 Viewers)

Started him out necessity and now I might pull out a victory to the #1 team HA.  Only had Jamaal charles, Dwayne Washington, Tevin Coleman on my team and had to start 2 more of those.  Charles and Washington being inactive and in my lineup and still might win this.  And as I'm typing this Howard got 4 more yards and now I'm leading.  Wow.  

No longer a committee, I think if the coaches cant see that they should be fired. He is the best player on the team. I made a mistake and cut him, he may be out of my price range now.
Just looked at his schedule, you have got to be kidding me?
09 BYE
10 Nov 13 @TB Sun 1:00 pm
11 Nov 20 @NYG Sun 1:00 pm
12 Nov 27 Ten Sun 1:00 pm
13 Dec 4 SF Sun 1:00 pm
14 Dec 11 @Det Sun 1:00 pm
15 Dec 18 GB Sun 1:00 pm
16 Dec 24 Was Sat 1:00 pm

Started him out necessity and now I might pull out a victory to the #1 team HA. Only had Jamaal charles, Dwayne Washington, Tevin Coleman on my team and had to start 2 more of those. Charles and Washington being inactive and in my lineup and still might win this. And as I'm typing this Howard got 4 more yards and now I'm leading. Wow.
I am legitimately happy for you.

So Howard was utilized 30 times and turned that into 202 yards from scrimmage. Mad I sat him, happy I'll get him back, rested in two weeks ready for the championship push.

You would have had to have been desperate to start him this week against the Vikings D.  Nobody would have predicted this.
Some had to out of necessity. Would have been really short sighted to drop him after one bad game with Matt Barkley under center on a Thu night away game.

He's about to go for 200 yards against the Vikings D. Comical, watch him not even get 5 points after the bye when we all start him lol.
He's graded as a top3 back in the draft. He also has 3 100 yard games in his first 5 starts as a rookie. Are you guys really serious?

I'd be shocked if more than 5% started him tonight.  And bye next week.  Can't wait to get him back in my lineup!
Then I guess you would be shocked to find out that 31% in yahoo leagues started him. Rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. 

He's graded as a top3 back in the draft. He also has 3 100 yard games in his first 5 starts as a rookie. Are you guys really serious?
I was more just joking around because that is how fantasy seems to work. I don't think starting him this week was the right play though unless you were desperate. He was losing touches to Carey, Langford was coming back and he looked to have an awful matchup against the Vikings. I had Christine Michael, Spencer Ware and Lamar Miller in amazing matchups, so I didn't even consider starting Howard this week. Sucks though cause I would have won my matchup if I started him, but I can't blame myself for leaving him on the bench.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've been watching Howard, it's obvious he's the real deal. I started him against the Vikings but I was nervous. I knew he'd get the carries but that Vikes D.... 

Then I guess you would be shocked to find out that 31% in yahoo leagues started him. Rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. 
Only 19% of ESPN leagues.  Not sure how to find the MFL leagues numbers.  But obviously I didn't have these numbers when I made a guess at the percentages. 

There's no denying is was a desperation play, even if you didn't see it that way, most did.  What did he have going for him?  He essentially lost the starting role to Carey the game before and Langford was back.  Oh, and he's facing one of the best defenses in the league with a QB who lost his job and only got it back due to Hoyer getting injured.  "Rumors of his demise" had nothing to do with it...it was a completely jumbled situation with no clarity on who would get the carries against a top defense. 

You knew he would get the carries? How did you know this?
Exactly what i was thinking.  The match up was bad, but even an RB in a bad matchup might be worth starting if  he was going to get a full  workload.  Many, many things pointed to him not getting all the carries and nothing really suggested he would get that large a percentage of the pie.

I didnt mean that mockingly, I just wanted to know what he saw or heard. Nothing says this was likely from most accounts. This was a legitimate mess, now its pretty clear whose the guy, unless coaching gets dumb. As I placed my waiver claim this morning, I never felt so much regret about cutting a player as I do now knowing I had him and am about to waste my remaining budget on him.

There's absolutely no making sense of that game. Only conclusion I can come to is that the Minny D reverted and became soft as ####, allowing Howard to stomp their faces toward 150+ yards. 

Guys in here bragging about picking him up. 

Does it make me a fantasy guru if I drafted him in both my leagues?

There's absolutely no making sense of that game. Only conclusion I can come to is that the Minny D reverted and became soft as ####, allowing Howard to stomp their faces toward 150+ yards. 
Right. There was nothing to suggest going into that game that Howard would have a game like that. His previous 2 games against much softer defenses, he had 22 carries for 68 yards and 2 catches for 6 yards. And was outplayed by Carey against Green Bay. Then factor in the return of Langford and the talk of going with the "hot hand". Anyone playing Howard last night was either out of options or nuts.

Right. There was nothing to suggest going into that game that Howard would have a game like that. His previous 2 games against much softer defenses, he had 22 carries for 68 yards and 2 catches for 6 yards. And was outplayed by Carey against Green Bay. Then factor in the return of Langford and the talk of going with the "hot hand". Anyone playing Howard last night was either out of options or nuts.
Agreed. I was out of options but the thought of playing Howard vs MIN was literally laughable to me. I dropped him for Asiata and now my liver hurts from last night...

Agreed. I was out of options but the thought of playing Howard vs MIN was literally laughable to me. I dropped him for Asiata and now my liver hurts from last night...
I was scrambling last minute when Montgomery was out. Howard was on my bench along with Langford. Dropped Langford for Janis. Didn't even think twice about it either.

I also dropped Howard with no regrets.  There is no guarantee that Fox won't pull the same nonsense going forward.  Before it was just Carey, but now that Langford is back, it could become a complete mess.  

I was scrambling last minute when Montgomery was out. Howard was on my bench along with Langford. Dropped Langford for Janis. Didn't even think twice about it either.
I think TyMo is, strangely, the main reason most Howard owners started him last night. Many probably decided to just go down with their ship, rather than dropping anyone they valued on their bench. 

Funny thing is I really did value Howard but I felt it was a safe drop because he'd likely underperform against MN and then he has a bye and I'd just be able to sneakily pick him back up after his bye to see him flourish again. 

But alas, the tinker inevitably suffers...

I also dropped Howard with no regrets.  There is no guarantee that Fox won't pull the same nonsense going forward.  Before it was just Carey, but now that Langford is back, it could become a complete mess.  
Yep, I still have Howard and it wouldn't surprise me if Fox went back to giving Carey and Langford more carries. Really sucks, he has a good schedule coming up and I'm not sure if I should sell high or hold onto him. Can't predict what Fox will do.

I think hes the best of the three and talent rises. But as well saw w the green bay game. Howard got stuffed so they tried carey. 

I think hes the best of the three and talent rises. But as well saw w the green bay game. Howard got stuffed so they tried carey. 
That's pretty much the explanation. If Howard had been stuffed on the first drive vs MINN, Fox would have searched for another hot hand. 

I agree with you that he has the most talent and I was very happy when I picked him up off the WW five weeks about.  However, it's the time of year where I cannot afford to start a running back only to have him benched mid game.  It's not just Fox, see Ingram and Mathews this week with their in game benchings.  

The key was getting Cutler back.  Having a better QB makes the entire team better.  Cutler being able to throw the ball down field opens up the run game a little more.  The run game doing better allows for play action to work.  The offense controlling time of possession helps the defense out.  It's all complimentary.

The key was getting Cutler back.  Having a better QB makes the entire team better.  Cutler being able to throw the ball down field opens up the run game a little more.  The run game doing better allows for play action to work.  The offense controlling time of possession helps the defense out.  It's all complimentary.
in one really bad game, hoyer broke his arm and they played an unproven QB, besides that, 3/4 games have been dynomite for Howard

To those asking how I knew Howard would get the carries. Because I've watched every game and it's obvious Howard is the best RB on that team. I tend to ignore coach speak and focus more on play based on what I see. Sometimes I get burned (Ingram) but usually it weighs out in my favor. Coaches say a lot of things to confuse their upcoming opponents. Howard is a beast and he continues to show it. Langford sucks and Carey is a COP back. This is Howard's backfield until they draft or trade for someone better. 

To those asking how I knew Howard would get the carries. Because I've watched every game and it's obvious Howard is the best RB on that team. I tend to ignore coach speak and focus more on play based on what I see. Sometimes I get burned (Ingram) but usually it weighs out in my favor. Coaches say a lot of things to confuse their upcoming opponents. Howard is a beast and he continues to show it. Langford sucks and Carey is a COP back. This is Howard's backfield until they draft or trade for someone better. 
I agree he is their best option but I also think this is a very short-term proposition. He's got that certain something that makes him appealing in fantasy right now but I think if you play FF he is a sell high if ever there was one.  

I think in today's FF environment relating to RBs, the separation is becoming clear: When you get a guy who obviously is talented (Bell, Johnson, Gurley, Zeke) and especially if the real life team invested a lot into them (Gurley and Zeke), then you hold those cats until the wheels fall off. Those handful of known sustainable and consistent value is becoming rare.  Everyone else, as enticing as it is, is fluid. You pounce on the great opportunities (Ware, for example) but you always keep in the back of your mind how quickly it goes. You simply can't heavily invest in a Lamar Miller anymore because there are too many Lagarette Blounts and Jay Ajayis and Dion Lewis being had for peanuts and the KEY is that the shelf life is comparable...So there is no need to pay.  

You can think Gurley is long term and talented and worth paying for but would it be any surprise to anyone if Lamar Miller's run in Houston is as short as CJ Anderson's in Denver or Freeman's in Atlanta or anyone else?  The shelf life of a RB today is about 18 months.  

I've never seen less respect for a rookie that had 3 100 yards games in 5 starts, one game dropping 200 total yards on the best D in the league. Maybe Ajayi on his first 200 yard game got less respect, but that's about it. Howard has a >5 ypc avg after 7 games. These guys don't just grow on trees. RB is a thin position.

If you look back, Howard only had one bad game this season. This came against extraneous, against all odds circumstances facing a GB rush D on a Thu night away game where Hoyer went down early in the 2nd quarter and Matt Barkley took over, a guy who couldn't even hit WRs in garbage time. He was helping the GB defense in garbage time more than his WRs. Carey was in mostly in passing situations where he hit a few surprise runs for big yards. When Howard was in GB was keying in on the rush as there was no pass threat.

Last night Cutler threw some beauty play action passes as Minn was biting hard on any fake hand off with Howard in there as a legit threat. They couldn't stop him. LOL to anyone that thinks MINN D is soft. They held DeMarco Murray to 42 yards and allowed only 1 rushing TD all season up until last night. The highest rushing total any RB has put on them before last night was 56 yards. Let's give a little respect where it is due.

I've never seen less respect for a rookie that had 3 100 yards games in 5 starts, one game dropping 200 total yards on the best D in the league. Maybe Ajayi on his first 200 yard game got less respect, but that's about it. Howard has a >5 ypc avg after 7 games. These guys don't just grow on trees. RB is a thin position.

If you look back, Howard only had one bad game this season. This came against extraneous, against all odds circumstances facing a GB rush D on a Thu night away game where Hoyer went down early in the 2nd quarter and Matt Barkley took over, a guy who couldn't even hit WRs in garbage time. He was helping the GB defense in garbage time more than his WRs. Carey was in mostly in passing situations where he hit a few surprise runs for big yards. When Howard was in GB was keying in on the rush as there was no pass threat.

Last night Cutler threw some beauty play action passes as Minn was biting hard on any fake hand off with Howard in there as a legit threat. They couldn't stop him. LOL to anyone that thinks MINN D is soft. They held DeMarco Murray to 42 yards and allowed only 1 rushing TD all season up until last night. The highest rushing total any RB has put on them before last night was 56 yards. Let's give a little respect where it is due.
The thing is, they kinda DO grow on trees these days. I don't know about this year but last year, I posted something that said something like 22 of the league's starting RBs were basically guys that came from nowhere or had low pedigrees.  And they don't stick long.  the turnover is constant and John Fox for this particular team has a long history of making fantasy rb owners nervous. 

Also, for last night's game, something in my head just screams that Cutler played unrealistically good. I don't expect that from Cutler more times than not and when it goes south in Chicago, it gets late early if you're picking up what I'm throwing down.  I think last night was an unusual situation that happened to be on the national stage and might be skewing some thinking.  

All that being said, does Howard look like a guy I'd want right now if I played FF? Yeah.  But I wouldn't be expecting it to sustain. 

Fair enough, but I can count on one hand the guys getting all the looks at RB and are good starts in any situation. DJ/Zeke/Bell/Ware, maybe McCoy when he plays. From there its situational. Howard has the potential to be one of these guys if he continues to see 3 down looks and performs the rest of the year at this level. He's not there yet, but has the pedigree and the pass catching ability to be a top keeper/RB. GB is the outlier game here, not his other 4 games as the starter.

I've never seen less respect for a rookie that had 3 100 yards games in 5 starts, one game dropping 200 total yards on the best D in the league. Maybe Ajayi on his first 200 yard game got less respect, but that's about it. Howard has a >5 ypc avg after 7 games. These guys don't just grow on trees. RB is a thin position.
It's funny, only Ajayi, Howard and Freeman have totaled 200+ yards from scrimmage this year, not David Johnson or Zeke or McCoy. Freeman specifically doesn't get enough love but I digress..

Fox just watched Howard put the team on his back and rolf stomp a division rival who supposedly sported the leagues best defense. I'd be surprised if he doesn't feed him going forward since I'm not sure what else Howard could've done to make a case for himself.

Langford also got tossed around in pass pro, he really shouldn't see the field. He brings nothing to that backfield.

I agree he is their best option but I also think this is a very short-term proposition. He's got that certain something that makes him appealing in fantasy right now but I think if you play FF he is a sell high if ever there was one.  

I think in today's FF environment relating to RBs, the separation is becoming clear: When you get a guy who obviously is talented (Bell, Johnson, Gurley, Zeke) and especially if the real life team invested a lot into them (Gurley and Zeke), then you hold those cats until the wheels fall off. Those handful of known sustainable and consistent value is becoming rare.  Everyone else, as enticing as it is, is fluid. You pounce on the great opportunities (Ware, for example) but you always keep in the back of your mind how quickly it goes. You simply can't heavily invest in a Lamar Miller anymore because there are too many Lagarette Blounts and Jay Ajayis and Dion Lewis being had for peanuts and the KEY is that the shelf life is comparable...So there is no need to pay.  

You can think Gurley is long term and talented and worth paying for but would it be any surprise to anyone if Lamar Miller's run in Houston is as short as CJ Anderson's in Denver or Freeman's in Atlanta or anyone else?  The shelf life of a RB today is about 18 months.  
Agreed as well.  RBs who are drafted in the later rounds like Howard are totally replaceable and teams seem to move on quickly and easily from them.  Every once in a great while, though, those 5th round RBs can be valuable longer term.  A lot of that depends on the team and how they draft.  I will say that Howard looks special to me.  He's definitely not fast but he just has a way of getting yards.  He always falls forward and is very hard to bring down.  I own Howard in 1/2 dynasty leagues and I may sell high only because I have four 1st round picks in next year's RB heavy draft.  But I DO like Howard a lot more than recent late round RBs.  He has something the others don't, imo.

Just got offered Howard in a re-draft league for Nuk... thinking about pulling the trigger with AJ Green, Ty Montgomery, Diggs, and John Brown as my other WRs.

Wow I thought I had my game in the bag last night with the MIN DST vs Howard--got a -2 from the DST, my opponent gets a big night from Howard. Shocking loss to say the least!

Would you like a side of hype to go along with your 202 yard order sir? "Sure, I'd like two please."

A little h 

Jordan Howard Makes History in Bears' Win Over Vikings

"While the attention of Chicago sports fans has been squarely focused on the Cubs and their quest for World Series glory, Chicago Bears running back Jordan Howard accomplished something on Monday night against the Minnesota Vikings that has not been seen in over 50 years. ... with 202 total yards from scrimmage, Howard became the first Bears rookie to break that barrier since the great Gale Sayers did so in his rookie season of 1965 ... According to the Bears, Howard is the youngest Bears player to ever hit the 200-yard plateau in a game, making his accomplishment that much more remarkable.

Oh and add this car to the hype train as well.

Jordan Howard named NFC Offensive Player of the Week after career night

I'd be shocked if more than 5% started him tonight.  And bye next week.  Can't wait to get him back in my lineup!

Only to have Langford go off 

Nice call.

Wow week 10 has been played already! You really are delusional 
You just prognosticated that Langford would go off week 10, and you posted this after the record breaking game Howard just had! Howards has had 3 100 yard games in 5 starts. Remind me how many 100 yard games Lankyford has during his entire career? Who's the delusional on is here?

Jordan Howard has stranglehold on top spot in Bears' backfield

"It was a matter of him showing patience to allow plays to develop," Drayton said. "The conversations we had in between series on the sidelines -- the things he was seeing and the things he was telling me -- told me all that I needed to know that this kid was wired in right and ready for the moment."

"Production overrules everything," Drayton said. "[We're looking for] guys who can create on their own. We want to know who is processing the pass game. Just overall production. That is what you are looking for from a back in a game."

Do any of these things describe Lankyford? He is horrible in creating his own, ranking as one of the worst in th league in that department, and his pass protection is horrible as well. Please impart your wisdom to us why Lankyford will go off during week10. This is what I meant by "nice call."

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebs! :doh:

Honestly I never doubted Howard I just doubt Fox's decision making. But go ahead and keep quoting me.
Since you didn't answer either of my questions. You are the delusional one if you think Langford is going off week 10 ... and to my other question ... Langford has zero 100 yard games.

Users who are viewing this thread