What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (5 Viewers)

If he sits out does he still get to hit FA as scheduled? I remember from the Josh Gordon stuff that he’s been on his rookie contact for forever with all the suspensions. Is a holdout different?
No, he would have to report at some point or else the contract would toll and he'd still be under the same terms in 2020.  If he reports even for just one game he's fulfill the contract and be a UFA next year.  Of course they can just FT him then but at least that's $12M+

I believe you have to be on the roster for 6 games to accrue a season. At least that was the case for Vincent Jackson when he held out almost a decade ago.
He doesn't need to accrue the year though.  He's already got 4 accrued seasons.  He just hast to not have the contract toll.

I feel a of people are underestimating Ekeler....including Gordon....its been that way his whole life.....but I don’t think the Chargers are.....somebody posted some pretty impressive stats in the Ekeler thread......I don’t think LAC has any problem letting Gordon sit....and then when it starts costing him money he will report.....LAC is good enough to win without him....Ekeler can be an every down back...

I feel a of people are underestimating Ekeler....including Gordon....its been that way his whole life.....but I don’t think the Chargers are.....somebody posted some pretty impressive stats in the Ekeler thread......I don’t think LAC has any problem letting Gordon sit....and then when it starts costing him money he will report.....LAC is good enough to win without him....Ekeler can be an every down back...
I’d be skeptical. Super small sample size alert but his numbers were 40/129 (3.2 ypc) and 12/76 (6.3 ypr) as the starter. He’s small at 5’10 200 so you’d have to be concerned about him holding up to a full time workload and those concerns wouldn’t be eased by the fact that he got hurt last year after 2 games in a row starting.

After looking a bit more into the numbers, I do understand Gordon's side of things.  Yes, he's making $5.6m this year alone - but that's not been his career average.  His career average these past 5 years has been about $3.25m including his signing bonus (though over the cap has his salary average as $2.67m).  Not chump change, but a bit light in the market - especially for a 2x pro bowler.  There are three top guys at the RB position in terms of average annual salary - Gurley, Bell, and DJ, all $13m+, or 4+ times what Gordon's average has been.  The next group has a bunch of guys around $8m annually - including Freeman, McCoy, Barkley and McKinnon.  Then a bunch of guys in the 5-6.5m annual range, including guys like Duke Johnson, L Miller, Gio Bernard and Dion Lewis.  His agent has a point that he should be at least in that last range if not above it - and with more than a single year of money on that deal. 

He didn't create the market, but the market is there - he should be compensated fairly in that market.  Just to throw it out there - he's about a year younger than Jerick McKinnon, and has had a much more productive career.  If you were Gordon, would you accept, and if you were the Chargers would you offer the deal McKinnon got?  4 year $30m with $18m guaranteed.  How about Lamar Miller's 4 year $26m with $14m guaranteed (he was a year younger than Gordon at the time of signing)?  You can't argue that Gordon is worse than Miller. 

After looking a bit more into the numbers, I do understand Gordon's side of things.  Yes, he's making $5.6m this year alone - but that's not been his career average.  His career average these past 5 years has been about $3.25m including his signing bonus (though over the cap has his salary average as $2.67m).  Not chump change, but a bit light in the market - especially for a 2x pro bowler.  There are three top guys at the RB position in terms of average annual salary - Gurley, Bell, and DJ, all $13m+, or 4+ times what Gordon's average has been.  The next group has a bunch of guys around $8m annually - including Freeman, McCoy, Barkley and McKinnon.  Then a bunch of guys in the 5-6.5m annual range, including guys like Duke Johnson, L Miller, Gio Bernard and Dion Lewis.  His agent has a point that he should be at least in that last range if not above it - and with more than a single year of money on that deal. 

He didn't create the market, but the market is there - he should be compensated fairly in that market.  Just to throw it out there - he's about a year younger than Jerick McKinnon, and has had a much more productive career.  If you were Gordon, would you accept, and if you were the Chargers would you offer the deal McKinnon got?  4 year $30m with $18m guaranteed.  How about Lamar Miller's 4 year $26m with $14m guaranteed (he was a year younger than Gordon at the time of signing)?  You can't argue that Gordon is worse than Miller. 
You’re comparing the contracts of guys who hit the open market to Melvin’s rookie deal (except for Saquon who got top 3 money). It’s not an apples to apples comparison. Unless you know that the Chargers have offered less money than what those guys you listed got.

You’re comparing the contracts of guys who hit the open market to Melvin’s rookie deal (except for Saquon who got top 3 money). It’s not an apples to apples comparison. Unless you know that the Chargers have offered less money than what those guys you listed got.
Understood.  But I'm also comparing 3 guys who at this point have, or at the time of their new deal had played 4 years in the NFL.  Gordon (and in my opinion rightfully so) is a bit upset about this 5th year option part of it.  It's an awkward position for both sides.  He's under, I believe, his market value - but the team has the leverage for the next year. 

Understood.  But I'm also comparing 3 guys who at this point have, or at the time of their new deal had played 4 years in the NFL.  Gordon (and in my opinion rightfully so) is a bit upset about this 5th year option part of it.  It's an awkward position for both sides.  He's under, I believe, his market value - but the team has the leverage for the next year. 
He’s on that fifth year option though because he was a first round pick. And that earned him a 15+ million dollar contract before he had even played a down of pro football. Much more than those guys made on their first contract.

He’s on that fifth year option though because he was a first round pick. And that earned him a 15+ million dollar contract before he had even played a down of pro football. Much more than those guys made on their first contract.
Understood.  Just trying to find a middle ground between Gordon and the Chargers that would work for both - and used those two somewhat recent deals as examples.  I don't know what the Chargers offered him, and I don't know what it would take to get him to sign.  Just throwing out there a new 4 year $26m with $14m guaranteed example to see if that would be smart/fair for the team or offer, and smart for Gordon to accept. 

Understood.  Just trying to find a middle ground between Gordon and the Chargers that would work for both - and used those two somewhat recent deals as examples.  I don't know what the Chargers offered him, and I don't know what it would take to get him to sign.  Just throwing out there a new 4 year $26m with $14m guaranteed example to see if that would be smart/fair for the team or offer, and smart for Gordon to accept. 
Gotcha. I think Melvin and his representation would find that deal insultingly low.

Gotcha. I think Melvin and his representation would find that deal insultingly low.
How's about the other one - 4 year $30m with $18m guaranteed?  They can offer that now, as a new deal, rather than an extension - correct?  So it would start today?  If so, that's $7.5M per year average - so more than what he's scheduled to get this year, with three future years tacked on (he's got 0 future years now).  Puts him right in that 2nd group of RBs I mentioned above, and depending on the guarantees could set him up for the remainder of both his career, and his life.

Would the Chargers offer that?  Would Gordon accept that?

How's about the other one - 4 year $30m with $18m guaranteed?  They can offer that now, as a new deal, rather than an extension - correct?  So it would start today?  If so, that's $7.5M per year average - so more than what he's scheduled to get this year, with three future years tacked on (he's got 0 future years now).  Puts him right in that 2nd group of RBs I mentioned above, and depending on the guarantees could set him up for the remainder of both his career, and his life.

Would the Chargers offer that?  Would Gordon accept that?
I’m guessing he thinks since he’s been treated like a full time feature back he should get paid like one. Maybe he doesn’t view himself like Gurley or Bell but he probably wouldn’t want less than Freeman or Shady and more than McKinnon/Duke. So 4/40 ish. The Chargers may have concerns about his health/mileage and lack of efficiency prior to last year. Or they may feel like the position is replaceable outside of the top few studs. I doubt they offer that. 4/30 with an out after a couple years probably would work for them. Pure speculation.

I’m guessing he thinks since he’s been treated like a full time feature back he should get paid like one. Maybe he doesn’t view himself like Gurley or Bell but he probably wouldn’t want less than Freeman or Shady and more than McKinnon/Duke. So 4/40 ish. The Chargers may have concerns about his health/mileage and lack of efficiency prior to last year. Or they may feel like the position is replaceable outside of the top few studs. I doubt they offer that. 4/30 with an out after a couple years probably would work for them. Pure speculation.
That's all I'm looking for.  Speaking of Freeman and his deal - 5 year, $41M extension - do I understand it right that if he were to be cut after this season the Falcons would have $6m count against their cap (but wouldn't have to pay that amount), but not have to pay any of the $9.5M to him?  So they would save $3.5M vs the cap, and save all $9.5m in actual cash?  Isn't cap dollars much more important than actual dollars to these teams?  So really him playing for them next year is only a $3.5m decision?

That's all I'm looking for.  Speaking of Freeman and his deal - 5 year, $41M extension - do I understand it right that if he were to be cut after this season the Falcons would have $6m count against their cap (but wouldn't have to pay that amount), but not have to pay any of the $9.5M to him?  So they would save $3.5M vs the cap, and save all $9.5m in actual cash?  Isn't cap dollars much more important than actual dollars to these teams?  So really him playing for them next year is only a $3.5m decision?
I think that they would save the 6.5 million base salary in actual money. Of that 9.5 million they’d have already paid the $3 million dollar signing bonus. And yeah if they cut him this year they save 3.5 million against the cap. 

Really? So the Chargers are just so loaded at rb that they can lose their bellcow yet still have enough talent at rb to be league average or so with their backups (a 7th rounder and 2 UDFAs).
Yes, if Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome stay reasonably healthy and Gordon does not play, I think the Chargers will be "league average or so" in their running game.

You seem to have gotten hung up on the fact that I used the phrase "great trio." I didn't mean that they would be amongst the best RB groups in the NFL; what I meant was that they would provide good enough production that the Chargers won't truly miss Gordon. Given the cap space invested in them, IMO that is a "great trio." You may still disagree with that, but I stand by it.

It doesn’t matter how good you think the system will make any back look, more talent is always better.
I never said otherwise.

Look at the Pats. They make James White look good in their system. Now imagine if it were Kamara in that role. Think that’d be a little better?
This is a poor example. The Pats were #7 in the league in spending at the RB position in 2018, and the Saints were #9. Both teams generally choose to spend on multiple guys to play as part of a committee rather than putting a lot of cap money into a bellcow RB. This is changing in 2019 for the Saints, since Ingram is gone, but the Pats are up to #5 as things stand.

You are also citing the best RB bargain in the NFL (Kamara) as an example. Almost every team would prefer to have Kamara over whoever they have as lead RB, based on both his performance and his super low salary.

Maybe I'm also just confused which players people are talking about. Detrez Newsome has 11 career carries and was undrafted from Western Carolina. Justin Jackson was drafted in the 7th round with the 251st pick in the draft(mister irrelevant was 5 picks later) and has 50 career carries.
So what?

Jackson is #10 all time in NCAA history in YFS. The knock on him entering the draft was his frame possibly being too small. Well, it wasn't too small to put up these career college statistics in the Big 10:  1142/5440/41 rushing (4.8 ypc) and 122/858/1 receiving (7.0 ypr)... despite the fact that he played for Northwestern and opposing defenses could key on him. Will that translate to the NFL? Hard to predict, but he looked good in his small sample size last year. The jury is out.

Newsome played at Western Carolina, which is probably why he was undrafted. His stats at WCU: 620/3728/37 rushing (6.0 ypc) and 109/962/7 receiving (8.8 ypr). Will that translate to the NFL? It would seem to be a bit of a long shot, but he looked good in his tiny sample size last year. The jury is out.

Why can't those guys succeed in a good system with good surrounding cast, just as Ekeler has? Ekeler played at D2 Western Colorado University, but he dominated and was one of the most dominant D2 players. It translated to the NFL just fine.

Just throwing out there a new 4 year $26m with $14m guaranteed example to see if that would be smart/fair for the team or offer, and smart for Gordon to accept. 
I would not support that from the Chargers' perspective. More importantly, it seems pretty clear that Gordon is demanding more than that.

Not disputing, but never heard of "contract tolling." Do you have a link on this?
TL:DR - if the player doesn't play at all, the current year doesn't tick off and it picks up where it left off the following (or whenever he returns) year. 

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2017-11-08-what-is-contract-tolling-and-how-might-it-affect-teddys-free-agency/
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001022154/article/steelers-toll-ryan-shaziers-contract-into-2019-season

Direct from the CBA:

EXTENSION. Unless this contract specifically provides otherwise, if Player ..., or otherwise fails or refuses to perform his services under this contract, then this contract will be tolled between the date of... his failure or refusal to perform, and the later date of his return to professional football. During the period this contract is tolled, Player will not be entitled to any compensation or benefits. On Player’s return to professional football, the term of this contract will be extended for a period of time equal to the number of seasons (to the nearest multiple of one) remain-ing at the time the contract was tolled. The right of renewal, if any, contained in this contract will remain in effect until the end of any such extended term.

So since he has 1 year on his contract, if he never reports he would still have the same 1 year left on his contract.  It's what happened to Josh Gordon and Martavis Bryant and as you can see above Bridgewater.  PIT did to Shazier's benefit, which was interesting. 

Yes, if Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome stay reasonably healthy and Gordon does not play, I think the Chargers will be "league average or so" in their running game.

You seem to have gotten hung up on the fact that I used the phrase "great trio." I didn't mean that they would be amongst the best RB groups in the NFL; what I meant was that they would provide good enough production that the Chargers won't truly miss Gordon. Given the cap space invested in them, IMO that is a "great trio." You may still disagree with that, but I stand by it.

I never said otherwise.

This is a poor example. The Pats were #7 in the league in spending at the RB position in 2018, and the Saints were #9. Both teams generally choose to spend on multiple guys to play as part of a committee rather than putting a lot of cap money into a bellcow RB. This is changing in 2019 for the Saints, since Ingram is gone, but the Pats are up to #5 as things stand.

You are also citing the best RB bargain in the NFL (Kamara) as an example. Almost every team would prefer to have Kamara over whoever they have as lead RB, based on both his performance and his super low salary.
No I don’t disagree if that’s the case. Your context implied to me at least that you thought that trio would be great talent wise compared to the rest of the league. And you seemed to back it up when I called it bottom of the barrel you said “I’m not so sure I agree with that anyways”. My sole point was that that trio would go into the year as one of the worst rb groups in the league, talent wise. If you don’t think that matters because they could still get average ish production from it I disagree as well and that’s why I brought up the Kamara. I believe there is a cost when you go with lesser talent even if you can get average production but that wasn’t my initial point and I don’t need to go into it if you don’t when I’m 3 IPAs deep on a Friday night!

So what?

Jackson is #10 all time in NCAA history in YFS. The knock on him entering the draft was his frame possibly being too small. Well, it wasn't too small to put up these career college statistics in the Big 10:  1142/5440/41 rushing (4.8 ypc) and 122/858/1 receiving (7.0 ypr)... despite the fact that he played for Northwestern and opposing defenses could key on him. Will that translate to the NFL? Hard to predict, but he looked good in his small sample size last year. The jury is out.

Newsome played at Western Carolina, which is probably why he was undrafted. His stats at WCU: 620/3728/37 rushing (6.0 ypc) and 109/962/7 receiving (8.8 ypr). Will that translate to the NFL? It would seem to be a bit of a long shot, but he looked good in his tiny sample size last year. The jury is out.

Why can't those guys succeed in a good system with good surrounding cast, just as Ekeler has? Ekeler played at D2 Western Colorado University, but he dominated and was one of the most dominant D2 players. It translated to the NFL just fine.
That's honestly your answer?

Then why don't they just let Rivers walk instead of giving him a contract extension? Kurt Warner proved all you need to do is grab an arena league QB to lead your franchise to a SB win. "Why can't" the chargers just grab the next all-pro from the arena league at a fraction of the cost of bringing Rivers back? Are you saying it can't be done!?

Jesus.

Maybe not all running backs matter, but some do. Look how the Rams offense fell apart without Gurley. The Saints had how many losing seasons in row before they got Kamara and decided to run the ball. No way the Cowboys make the playoffs without Zeke.

That's honestly your answer?

Then why don't they just let Rivers walk instead of giving him a contract extension? Kurt Warner proved all you need to do is grab an arena league QB to lead your franchise to a SB win. "Why can't" the chargers just grab the next all-pro from the arena league at a fraction of the cost of bringing Rivers back? Are you saying it can't be done!?

Jesus.
Sorry, GB, but this is such a stupid post that it doesn’t warrant a serious answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
cloppbeast said:
Maybe not all running backs matter, but some do. Look how the Rams offense fell apart without Gurley. The Saints had how many losing seasons in row before they got Kamara and decided to run the ball. No way the Cowboys make the playoffs without Zeke.
I'd disagree with that. RB is easily the least valuable non kicking position in football. The Rams offense didn't fall apart without Gurley at all, they missed Kupp much more than Gurley. The Saints had losing seasons because they had a bottom 5 defense, now they don't. The Cowboys made the playoffs, because Cooper added a receiving threat, and the defense took a major step forward, with a healthy Jaylon Smith, and a ROY candidate in Vander Esch. 

None of those RB's move the needle enough to even make a 2-win difference. Its the same reason that Saquon Barkley might already be the best RB in the NFL, and was likely a bad draft pick, because RB's aren't an individually important position. They are very reliant on blocking, defensive alignment, and scheme. More so than any other position. 

Its an extreme take I realize, but if I were an NFL GM, I'd probably never draft a RB before day 3, and it would be mostly a focus on backs who are mismatches in the passing game, and would never sign a RB to a 2nd contract unless it was a very team friendly deal. On the flip side, teams grossly undervalue CB depth. I'd argue the 4th CB is as important as the starting RB. There likely wouldn't be a draft that went by, where I didn't take a CB in the first 3 rounds. 

Just like teams shouldn't invest heavily in nose tackles, or run blocking OL, or blocking TE's, or box safeties, or LB's who can't cover. These are more luxuries in today's NFL than things that actually make major differences, and should be roles filled by day 3 picks, and journeyman type vets. I think we all learned at an early age that the keys to winning were running, and stopping the run. But that simply isn't the case all in 2019. Its not even a 25-25-25-25 split for pass, run, pass d, run d. Its more like pass and pass d are each 40%, and run, and run d, are each 10%. There used to be things known as 2-down RB's, 2-down DL, 2 down LB's, and they would come off the field in passing situations. That doesn't really exist anymore, teams spend roughly 65% of the game in 3-WR/Nickel defenses. To the point that the starting lineup should be those sets. 

All of this, is a long way of saying that the Chargers shouldn't give Gordon any more money, or a long term deal. I'd argue he might be overpaid at the moment, and I think Gordon is a good RB, right there with Gurley or Zeke. Dallas also shouldn't spend on Zeke, and both the Rams and Cardinals erred signing Gurley and Johnson respectively.

I'd disagree with that. RB is easily the least valuable non kicking position in football. 
I cant disagree with this overall, but the difference between Saquon Barkley and replacement level is a lot more than with kickers. Having a great rb helps more than you acknowledge. Debating whether Ezekial Elliot is an important offensive weapon for Dallas is a discussion not worth having imo. 

I wouldnt put Gordon in that category though. So I don't know if hes worth it or not. Deoends on their plan B. The Chargers might learn the same lesson without him as the Eagles did last year. Philadelphia, I'm sure you noticed, made efforts to avoid using your strategy after their experience in 2018. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant disagree with this overall, but the difference between Saquon Barkley and replacement level is a lot more than with kickers. Having a great rb helps more than you acknowledge. Debating whether Ezekial Elliot is an important offensive weapon for Dallas is a discussion not worth having imo. 

I wouldnt put Gordon in that category though. So I don't know if hes worth it or not. Deoends on their plan B. The Chargers might learn the same lesson without him as the Eagles did last year. Philadelphia, I'm sure you noticed, made efforts to avoid using your strategy after their experience in 2018. 
I agree Barkley is more important than a kicker, that isn't what I was saying. I was saying the advantage of having a great RB over a replacement level one, is smaller than at any non-kicker position. The Giants would likely be a better team right now, if they had chosen any of Darnold, Ward, or Chubb(the next 3 picks) over him. They only gained 2 wins, and that was more from Beckham being healthy(playing in 9 more games than he did in 2017) than Barkley. 

Elliott is an overrated RB in my opinion, elite fantasy RB, but he's been in an almost perfect situation his entire career. I also believe they erred drafting him at 4 in 2016, and would be a better team today(and since 2016) if they had taken Jalen Ramsey(the next pick) instead. That said, obviously he's a key cog in that offense, but even then, Dak, Cooper, Smith, Martin, and Frederick, are all more important in my opinion. 

I also think the Eagles made a mistake drafting Sanders so highly. I liked the Howard trade, but that isn't what I'd call a big investment. A 2nd rounder is, especially when what was their biggest weakness last year was their pass coverage, and they did nothing about it. There were plenty of quality CB's and S's, like Adderley, Thornhill, Layne, and Long that likely would have been more helpful. 

The Chargers went 4-0 without Gordon, I don't think that was a fluke. Alfred Morris and Rod Smith combined for a higher YPC than Zeke in 2017, and the Cowboys  were pretty much a .500 team either way, not counting a 6-0 win in week 17 over the Eagles backups. The only game the Rams lost after Gurley started missing time with his knee, was the Super Bowl. The Cardinals went from a .500 team to the #1 pick in the draft, despite getting David Johnson back, though I have actual questions if he's really a good RB, or Arians just used him to perfection, ala Shanahan with Freeman in Atlanta.

I don't see Ekeler as much of a downgrade from Gordon. He's been every bit as good the last 2 seasons, and while there is a legit concern he'd wear down with a bigger workload, its also possible Rivers and the passing game would be more effective with Ekeler seeing more snaps. That even if the run game was less effective, the offense wouldn't be, and the record wouldn't be any different.

If I am the Chargers, I tell Gordon to go kick rocks.  Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of players getting paid, especially RBs who have a short shelf life, but Gordon is not a top RB who deserves the money he wants.  For one, he is not durable (missed time in three of his four seasons), and for two, his 4.0 YPC over 4 seasons doesn't exactly get you excited.  That said, he is a good pass catching RB, which is very valuable in today's NFL, but I just don't see breaking the bank for him. 

Melvin Gordon said he wants "to end up with the Chargers."

"I want to end up with the Chargers," Gordon said. "That's my home. That's the team that blessed me with an opportunity, and I can't forget that. But like I said, I know I'm in an opportunity right now where I know I have to take advantage of it, and I want to get paid." The 26-year-old has threatened holding out and demanding a trade if Los Angeles doesn't meet his demands as he approaches the fifth and final year of his rookie contract. The sides still have a few weeks to negotiate before training camp gets underway.

SOURCE: Bobby Belt on Twitter

Jul 13, 2019, 2:00 PM ET

In reference to his contract standoff with the Chargers, Melvin Gordon said, "You can’t just replace a great back."

To illustrate his point, Gordon pointed out how the Cowboys were a "completely different team" when Ezekiel Elliott was suspended in 2017. Gordon went on to call running back the next-most important position behind quarterback and feels he and other top ball-carriers "should get paid as such." The 2015 first-rounder has threatened to hold out into the regular season if his contract demands aren't met, though Gordon has also said he hopes to "end up with the Chargers." The two-time Pro Bowler could very well be bluffing, but if he's not, committee backs Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson would both be in line for much bigger workloads.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Jul 14, 2019, 9:45 AM ET

Maybe I’m wrong but I have the feeling this all amounts to a bunch of nothing
depends on the egos in the chargers front office, and now that Gordon & his agent went public, we will see what the chargers brass does, Im guessing nothing, as he is under contract to make 5 million and they are cap strapped....

Since we are purely guessing, I will cast my hunch with Skeletore. Gordon has never shown a huge prima donna or 'me first' attitude - admitting there hasn't been much reason to before now. I think the Chargers will give Melvin some assurance that he is their guy and they will pay him and it blows over within the first week of camp, if not sooner.

Owner though, so this may be more wishful than insightful.

The signing of Robbie Gould today surprised me at what SF was willing to pay to keep a 37-year old kicker. Gould's deal was four years at $19M with $3M as a signing bonus and $10.5M guaranteed.

I am not trying to say that Melvin Gordon is the same player an Mark Ingram, but Ingram's contract this year with Baltimore was a three year deal at $15M. He got a signing bonus of $4M and guaranteed $6.5M. Gould at 37 got a similar and slightly better, particularly in guaranteed money than Ingram.

Running backs are just not valued highly. particularly when they are not special players.

Gordon will either sign for less money than he is talking about now or he will sit.  

Just curious if the Zeke holdout saga will have any affect on Gordon and his ordeal.  Zeke has been the better RB, I think even Gordon would admit to that.  Zeke is getting paid less than Gordon this year ($5.6m vs $3.8m) - though Zeke has had more career earnings to date.  If Zeke ends up playing for $3.8m, why shouldn't Gordon do it for nearly $2m more?  Gordon also has one less year left on his deal to get to FA than Zeke - so he's that much close to a lucrative 2nd deal. 

Just curious if the Zeke holdout saga will have any affect on Gordon and his ordeal.  Zeke has been the MUCH better RB, I think even Gordon would admit to that.  Zeke is getting paid less than Gordon this year ($5.6m vs $3.8m) - though Zeke has had more career earnings to date.  If Zeke ends up playing for $3.8m, why shouldn't Gordon do it for nearly $2m more?  Gordon also has one less year left on his deal to get to FA than Zeke - so he's that much close to a lucrative 2nd deal. 
Only thing Gordon has on Elliott is he is better off the field. A tier below as a running back

They have to pay him if they have any brains. How many years does Rivers have left? This is win-now time, and the window is closing. You really want to go into the season with Ekelar as  your starter? Gordon is under-appreciated, and deserves a new contract. 

They have to pay him if they have any brains. How many years does Rivers have left? This is win-now time, and the window is closing. You really want to go into the season with Ekelar as  your starter? Gordon is under-appreciated, and deserves a new contract. 
Rivers will retire at the end of the year.  You really want to be in rebuild mode with an overpriced middle age rb?

Users who are viewing this thread