What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Peyton Barber, LV - 9.4.21 Signs with Las Vegas (1 Viewer)

Has anyone had the guts to buy Barber in dynasty?  If so, what did/would you pay?
I did. 

I actually got someone to swap Barber, what I thought was his high 1st and high 2nd for two low 1sts in 2019. 

His team may very well finish bottom 3- he's in a real tough division. He obviously doesn't see his team finishing so low. 

This may not help, but I definitely sought him out pretty aggressively and wanted to get a deal done before camp. 

I bought him as news came out that Barber would still potentially get goal line carries and RoJo's pass pro was suspect. I wanted to get him before camp started and it was realized that many of these rookies may not be starting right out of the gates. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am all over this guy in MFL10's right now.  He's coming super cheap.  Like 11th round cheap.  I like Jones but Barber could put up some points this season, especially early on.  The Bucs are going to be terrible so I'm not expecting huge games.  But that also means that Jones could be the main guy later in the season.

JFS171 said:
Has anyone had the guts to buy Barber in dynasty?  If so, what did/would you pay?
I just got him for Chris Thompson - after the Guice news broke. The former Barber owner lost Guice.

nirad3 said:
I am all over this guy in MFL10's right now.  He's coming super cheap.  Like 11th round cheap.  I like Jones but Barber could put up some points this season, especially early on.  The Bucs are going to be terrible so I'm not expecting huge games.  But that also means that Jones could be the main guy later in the season.
He's a no-brainer at his ADP, at least in BB leagues as you said. 

Took him in the FBG contest for some consistency. As mentioned I don’t expect huge games but def serviceable for his price. 

nirad3 said:
From what I can tell so far it looks like they might be trying to groom Jones for a 3rd Down role initially. 

I also don’t agree that the Bucs will be “terrible.” They may not finish with a great record or make the playoffs, but they won’t be getting blown out every week to the point where they abandon the run. 

Bucs’ fan who no longer plays fantasy, but Barber is being way undervalued.

JFS171 said:
A new keeper league with deep benches and we have a long slow draft going. I took Barber at 17.9 last night.

The Bucs signing Ronald Jones may have been a blessing is disguise for Peyton Barber.  IMO, Jones is the least likely of the top-drafted rookie RB's to become a workhorse.  You can get away in college with being 6'1" and 195 pounds, but it just doesn't translate to the NFL.  At his height, he should be at least 20 pounds heavier, if not more.  Jones just turned 21, so he has plenty of time to bulk up, but I doubt he will do it over the course of this season.  I think it's Peyton's job to lose; not Jones's job to win.  I don't think Peyton is gonna become a stud, but if he keeps impressing in preseason, a stat line like 175-200 carries, 25-30 catches, 1000 total yards, and 6-8 TD's is easily within reach.  His current ADP is around the round 13, making him a bye week filler for most teams.  I'll buy into that.

P.S. I bet he'll be one of the most rostered players in the subscriber contest.  Also, just curious - can anyone think of a RB over 6 feet tall and 200 or less pounds that has carried the ball even 160 times in a season?  I chose 160 to make it an even 10 carries per game.  OK, I just made myself curious enough to do the research... stay tuned.

Hard to say. I didn't love Ronald Jones coming out but you can't love any RB in the Bucs offense with Winston out.

Could catch a lot of passes if Bucs get down early. But isn't that Jones' forte?

Hard to say. I didn't love Ronald Jones coming out but you can't love any RB in the Bucs offense with Winston out.

Could catch a lot of passes if Bucs get down early. But isn't that Jones' forte?
At only 24 yrs old, Barber has to realize this is his shot, this year.  During the offseason he slimmed down, and I bet he worked pretty hard on his pass-catching too.  I think he could handle bell-cow duties if given the chance, although the staff has already said 3-down backs are rare.  If Barber proves to be a decent receiver, it's just that much more playing time he will get.  Barring injury, I think Barber will have around 60-75 more touches than Jones.

The Bucs signing Ronald Jones may have been a blessing is disguise for Peyton Barber.  IMO, Jones is the least likely of the top-drafted rookie RB's to become a workhorse.  You can get away in college with being 6'1" and 195 pounds, but it just doesn't translate to the NFL.  At his height, he should be at least 20 pounds heavier, if not more.  Jones just turned 21, so he has plenty of time to bulk up, but I doubt he will do it over the course of this season.  I think it's Peyton's job to lose; not Jones's job to win.  I don't think Peyton is gonna become a stud, but if he keeps impressing in preseason, a stat line like 175-200 carries, 25-30 catches, 1000 total yards, and 6-8 TD's is easily within reach.  His current ADP is around the round 13, making him a bye week filler for most teams.  I'll buy into that.

P.S. I bet he'll be one of the most rostered players in the subscriber contest.  Also, just curious - can anyone think of a RB over 6 feet tall and 200 or less pounds that has carried the ball even 160 times in a season?  I chose 160 to make it an even 10 carries per game.  OK, I just made myself curious enough to do the research... stay tuned.
Ronald Jones weighs 208 pounds according to his player page on the Bucs main website. Weighed in at 205 at the combine. So I'm not sure why this question has bearing 

Ronald Jones weighs 208 pounds according to his player page on the Bucs main website. Weighed in at 205 at the combine. So I'm not sure why this question has bearing 
205 pounds at 6'1" is still pretty thin for a RB - especially one that does not have blazing speed or who hasn't show ability in the passing game. Now I realize most college programs don't really throw to the RB so Jones' lack of college stats does not mean he can not excel as a pass catcher in the NFL, but his margin for error will be thin. 

205 pounds at 6'1" is still pretty thin for a RB - especially one that does not have blazing speed or who hasn't show ability in the passing game. Now I realize most college programs don't really throw to the RB so Jones' lack of college stats does not mean he can not excel as a pass catcher in the NFL, but his margin for error will be thin. 
Yes, his size is concerning to me as well, and one reason I am down on him. I don't see him being a workhorse. There haven't been many RBs who have done well at 6'1 and below 210. One comes to mind but he's a freak and not worth comparing RoJo to

Yes, his size is concerning to me as well, and one reason I am down on him. I don't see him being a workhorse. There haven't been many RBs who have done well at 6'1 and below 210. One comes to mind but he's a freak and not worth comparing RoJo to
I went back 10 yrs and only found one guy that I think compares - Reggie Bush.  He was 6' and around 200, but only managed over 160 carries 3 times in his career.  Difference is, he was a speed demon, and was never expected to be a workhorse.

Ah, big difference between 195 and 208 - I got my info from pro football reference.  But, as Dr Octo said, still very light for his height.  He should be the flash with his skinny frame, but he isn't.  If he adds another 10 pounds of bulk, I fear even DE's will be able to catch him from behind.

Ah, big difference between 195 and 208 - I got my info from pro football reference.  But, as Dr Octo said, still very light for his height.  He should be the flash with his skinny frame, but he isn't.  If he adds another 10 pounds of bulk, I fear even DE's will be able to catch him from behind.
13 pound difference to be exact 

For those interested, I think Barber is great value (with ~11th round ADP  at this point). Jones has struggled a lot with pass catching (having balls in practice in games clang off his hands) and like all rookies needs time to improve in pass catching.

Keep in mind that Ronald Jones lost reps his last year to a freshman on passing downs. So even if he starts he will not be a 3 down back and will be fighting Rodgers and Sims/Wilson for backup reps. By contrast, Barber is an adequate pass catcher (like he's an adequate runner).

Lastly, Koetter has been slow to hand off duties to a rookie. Barber was the Bucs best back last year, but didn't see serious carries until Week 13. There is no competition between Barber and Jones currently, and I'd expect it'd take until at least mid-season for Jones to supplant Barber (if at all).

Unless you're in a dynasty league, I'd steer clear of Jones and pick up Barber late. You're getting a JAG who should see the clear bulk of carries, will get the goalline work, and is running behind an improved OL (who were a terrible run blocking unit last year). 

For those interested, I think Barber is great value (with ~11th round ADP  at this point). Jones has struggled a lot with pass catching (having balls in practice in games clang off his hands) and like all rookies needs time to improve in pass catching.

Keep in mind that Ronald Jones lost reps his last year to a freshman on passing downs. So even if he starts he will not be a 3 down back and will be fighting Rodgers and Sims/Wilson for backup reps. By contrast, Barber is an adequate pass catcher (like he's an adequate runner).

Lastly, Koetter has been slow to hand off duties to a rookie. Barber was the Bucs best back last year, but didn't see serious carries until Week 13. There is no competition between Barber and Jones currently, and I'd expect it'd take until at least mid-season for Jones to supplant Barber (if at all).

Unless you're in a dynasty league, I'd steer clear of Jones and pick up Barber late. You're getting a JAG who should see the clear bulk of carries, will get the goalline work, and is running behind an improved OL (who were a terrible run blocking unit last year). 
If Simms injury proves to be bad, I agree with you. I don’t see the Buca as a particularly adept running team, but I suspect they’ll slowly improve as Winston comes back off suspension & they might even go run heavier with fitzmagic behind center. 

The announcers during the preseason game..

Guy A "And he dumps the ball off to Peyton Barber who has been anointed the starter for now by Koetter but that may not last."

Guy B "Yeah I can't imagine that'll last if Ronald Jones makes a move."

Barber is completely average but what they don't understand is that being at least average in pass pro is better than letting your QB get blown up. These guys are idiots. 

Oh and Sims exited the game early with what looked to be a left knee injury.

Sims was a late re-signing for very little money. I am not exaggerating when I say he might be the worst runner in the NFL. He's unbelievably one dimensional. But he's a very good pass blocker and receiver which has kept him on the team purely as a 3rd down back. But teams may as well drop 9 into coverage when he's on the field because he couldn't find a hole to save his life.

My expectation is that the Bucs depth chart is Barber-Rodgers-Jones-Shaun Wilson.

Barber will have more 3rd down duties than Martin last year, but the primary 3rd down back will be Rodgers and eventually Wilson (if he keeps playing well). Jones will also mix in there on 1st and 2nd downs but will likely be 3rd on the depth chart.

You have to think that given his value at some point he gets every chance to start. But he's shown nothing right now and has struggled running but even more important in pass pro and catching. He has regularly dropped balls that have hit him in the hands.  

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
I'd say he's more like a good early season flex RB given the volume he is going to get.

But not sure that stranglehold will last the whole season.
That's a possibility of course, but Ronald Jones looks pretty lost so far.  Fumbling.  Dropped passes.  Missed assignments.  The weight Barber has shed prior to the season seems to be helping his explosiveness.  He's had some really nice "burst" runs.

As a Bucs fan, Barber is going to be on every one of my teams. His ADP will return amazing value.

I’m bias but the Bucs are going to be a good offense and Barber will be the goal line back all season even if RoJo starts getting more touches. Plus Barber looks good himself, and I was honestly expecting the organization to not draft a RB this year to see what we have in him. 

Barber is a talented dude who did well the only season he started for Auburn. He went undrafted because he came out early to help his family for financial reasons. He needed some time to adjust to the NFL. I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t relinquish the starting job all season and finishes as a solid RB2.

in dynasty, Barber's the kind of guy I'll keep (it's a short bench, Keep 12 league, so Barber is a "fringe" kind of keeper) but then hope to turn into a 1st rounder next year (probably to the owner of R Jones), assuming Barber comes out of the gate strong.

in dynasty, Barber's the kind of guy I'll keep (it's a short bench, Keep 12 league, so Barber is a "fringe" kind of keeper) but then hope to turn into a 1st rounder next year (probably to the owner of R Jones), assuming Barber comes out of the gate strong.
He seems like the kind of guy that is always more valuable to the current owner than someone who would potentially trade for him.  He can be startable but few people want to invest in them because they always expect the shiny new rookie toy on the bench will take over any day now.

Good guys to have on your team but I've found not very valuable trade assets.

Avery said:
He seems like the kind of guy that is always more valuable to the current owner than someone who would potentially trade for him.  He can be startable but few people want to invest in them because they always expect the shiny new rookie toy on the bench will take over any day now.

Good guys to have on your team but I've found not very valuable trade assets.
ok. a 2nd rounder and he's yours ;)

Shopping him around in one of my dynasty leagues for a 1st rounder. Might get RoJo's owner to bite, but I doubt it. 

ETA: no dice, which is fine. I want to see what the guy can do. If RoJo completely busts and Barber continues to improve he could be a nice little find for most people. 

When I selected Barber, I was pretty bummed about James White being selected 3 picks ahead of me (ironically by the Ronald Jones owner) . I had been considering a trade ... now I'm leaning hold-on and wait and see what Barber can do. 

where is all this Bucs and great offense talk coming from?  I don't see it.  

Still like Barber but is this all homer talk on the great offense or am i missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread