What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, CAR (1 Viewer)

Seahawks should do what they can to keep him but they are probably so snake-bitten by him that they would only offer 1Y $5M

And if Carroll is gone all bets are off

Last edited by a moderator:
Seahawks should do what they can to keep him but they are probably so snake-bitten by him that they would only offer 1Y $5M

And if Carroll is gone all bets are off
Not sure he’ll get much more than that on the open market, so it may be doable for the team. Between the devaluation of the RB position overall as well as several other comparable FAs out there (Connor, Edmonds, Gordon, Michel, RoJo, Mack, Darrel Williams), I imagine teams will be able to get quality RBs on the cheap.

Picked him up as a throw-in in a dynasty trade earlier this year. I'm just glad my debate is not going to be whether or not to keep, but whether or not to cash in.  

I have Penny on one of my dynasty rosters, and I am going to work hard to get some trade value from him this offseason.  He has performed exceptionally well down the stretch, and I have always liked his talent; however, I am also getting some Bryce Brown vibes from his emergence.  His injury history alone is enough to concern me.

I have Penny on one of my dynasty rosters, and I am going to work hard to get some trade value from him this offseason.  He has performed exceptionally well down the stretch, and I have always liked his talent; however, I am also getting some Bryce Brown vibes from his emergence.  His injury history alone is enough to concern me.
Interesting. I'd use Fred Taylor as comparison over Brown, Since Penny was a 1st round pick and Brown a 7th rounder. That's not to say Penny will have the same "became reliable" story as Taylor... but he was drafted as a blue chip guy.

BigJim® said:
Interesting. I'd use Fred Taylor as comparison over Brown, Since Penny was a 1st round pick and Brown a 7th rounder. That's not to say Penny will have the same "became reliable" story as Taylor... but he was drafted as a blue chip guy.
Fair point.  Although I felt Penny was overdrafted, he was still a blue chip prospect, as you say.  I hope he can have a career resurgence, but Fred Taylor had two 1,600 total yard seasons in his first three years in the league, and double digit TDs both of those seasons, as well.

Fair point.  Although I felt Penny was overdrafted, he was still a blue chip prospect, as you say.  I hope he can have a career resurgence, but Fred Taylor had two 1,600 total yard seasons in his first three years in the league.
Good point on Taylor. Why do I remember him being the butt of jokes? His career stats are pretty good with a blip here and blip there. FWIW- I was gaga over Penny based on his injury-free all purpose college career. Poised to take him at <> 8 until he got senior bowl MVP. His college highlight reel was something to behold.

Good point on Taylor. Why do I remember him being the butt of jokes? His career stats are pretty good with a blip here and blip there. FWIW- I was gaga over Penny based on his injury-free all purpose college career. Poised to take him at <> 8 until he got senior bowl MVP. His college highlight reel was something to behold.
Absolutely, and we had just seen a small-school breakout star the season before Penny in Kareem Hunt.  FWIW, I had Penny high on my board, as well.  I have carried him on my dynasty roster for several seasons, so it is not to say I am not a believer.  My Bryce Brown comment was a bit of a reach, but I remember a brief stretch with Brown that he absolutely tore it up his rookie season, only to disappear just as quickly as he emerged.  Like Penny, Brown was an incredibly gifted athlete (even better workout numbers than Penny, IIRC), but he did not enjoy the same collegiate success, nor was he drafted highly. 

I have carried him on my dynasty roster for several seasons, so it is not to say I am not a believer.  
I always pined for Penny in my dynasty after he went 1.3, as he went to someone similarly enthusiastic who rejected every offer. Finally got him as a throw in earlier this year from a new owner of that team. However, I have always used a pick in my redraft league, until this year. It was to the point my brother called him "that guy you always waste a pick on." Sure could have used him this year. But I definitely get not being too enthusiastic based on my redraft ownership history.  

If Russ leaves Seattle they'll be in rebuild mode. May be worth seeing what you can get, but might want to hold and see if Penny is asked to prop up a rookie QB next year. Something seems to have clicked this last month. Not likely anyone is going to give you too much for him.

Coach Pete Carroll said the Seahawks are "hopeful" they can re-sign impending free agent Rashaad Penny.

“Hopefully we can get him back," said Carroll, who also said Penny would like to be back with Seattle. Finally healthy and given a chance to be the No. 1 back with Chris Carson (neck) injured in the second half of last season, Penny was one of the best running backs in the NFL. Penny went 92-671-6 on the ground over the final five weeks and played himself into a big pay day. Carson's future is uncertain, but he and Penny would make for a nice backfield tandem. Penny needs to be given a longer look as a 1A, however. He's a monster big-play threat with the ball in his hands.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Mar 2, 2022, 1:21 PM ET

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Seahawks likely won't get into a free agency bidding war for Rashaad Penny. 

Graziano cited the team's long history of avoiding back-and-forth bids for their unrestricted free agents in suggesting the Seahawks would let Penny walk if he finds a "sweet deal" with another franchise. Penny, a first round pick in 2018, broke out in the final month of the 2021 regular season after three years of constant injuries. He piled up 714 rushing yards and six touchdowns over the final six games of the season, becoming a 2021 fantasy football legend along the way. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said last week that the team would like to bring back Chris Carson if he's able to return from a serious neck injury that kept him sidelined for much of the 2021 season. If Carson returns, Penny's best-case fantasy scenario is escaping to a team where he can see a starter's workload. 

RELATED: 

Chris Carson

SOURCE: ESPN.com 

Mar 7, 2022, 10:02 AM ET

What a peculiar situation. Seems like the Seahawks are ok with him leaving. I have no idea what would make them reliant on Carson, or what would motivate Carson to jeopardize his future outside of football. The reports from his surgery use "neck, vertebrae, discs, fusion" and the last thing I'm doing after a surgery of that sort is leading with my head into contact 30 times a game. 

What a peculiar situation. Seems like the Seahawks are ok with him leaving. I have no idea what would make them reliant on Carson, or what would motivate Carson to jeopardize his future outside of football. The reports from his surgery use "neck, vertebrae, discs, fusion" and the last thing I'm doing after a surgery of that sort is leading with my head into contact 30 times a game. 
I don’t think they are necessarily reliant on Carson, but I am sure they don’t want to overpay Penny who has not been reliably healthy either. We may end up seeing a few new faces at RB in Seattle. I am sure they would love to have Penny back, but understand their reluctance to overpay him.

I don’t think they are necessarily reliant on Carson, but I am sure they don’t want to overpay Penny who has not been reliably healthy either. We may end up seeing a few new faces at RB in Seattle. I am sure they would love to have Penny back, but understand their reluctance to overpay him.
Yeah, I’m just taking the ESPN story at face value. It will be interesting to see if Penny gets a strong offer. If so, hard to imagine Seattle replacing him for less. More likely Deejay Dallas or Alex Collins again. They have a lot of needs in the draft.

Sure doesn’t seem like SEA is in the mindset to pay an RB and I doubt Penny is as interested in coming back as he was a few days ago. Good destinations include: Miami, Falcons…possibly Bucs, Cardinals depending on what they do with their FAs. More than likely settles in as a 1B somewhere. Wouldn’t shock in a place like Baltimore (after the injury year they had), Philadelphia, or Buffalo.

Penny has returned to SEA on a one year reported to be $5.75M with chance to earn up to $6.5 and per Rapopot turned down more elsewhere.

As a Penny owner I'll take it, not a homerun but it works for me even with Russ leaving. Not a ton of walk in clear cut RB1 spots kicking and a 28 year old RB with a cranky neck as your main comp works ok for me.

Penny has returned to SEA on a one year reported to be $5.75M with chance to earn up to $6.5 and per Rapopot turned down more elsewhere.

As a Penny owner I'll take it, not a homerun but it works for me even with Russ leaving. Not a ton of walk in clear cut RB1 spots kicking and a 28 year old RB with a cranky neck as your main comp works ok for me.
I think the Seahawks could save money if they cut Carson (plus do we know Carson's health status). This has sneaky RB1 potential. 

In the 2022 FF Draft, the MoP selects Rashaad Penny, Ruuning Back, Seattle. 

-Single handedly drove me thru the Playoffs in a couple leagues, I'd always heard of others who catch lightning in a bottle the last 2-3-4 weeks of the season'FF Playoffs and win titles but you never think it will happen to you. Miracles do happen. 

In the 2022 FF Draft, the MoP selects Rashaad Penny, Ruuning Back, Seattle. 

-Single handedly drove me thru the Playoffs in a couple leagues, I'd always heard of others who catch lightning in a bottle the last 2-3-4 weeks of the season'FF Playoffs and win titles but you never think it will happen to you. Miracles do happen. 
Yeah, I had Penny and Amon Ra in a big money league (with Cooper Kupp and Josh Allen). The playoff run felt like I was Justin Jefferson hitting the gritty for 30 yards down the field into the end zone. 

NBC SportsEDGE take:

Seahawks re-signed RB Rashaad Penny to a one-year, $5.75 million deal. 

And thus, the Seahawks carry picture clouds up again. Penny can earn "up to" $6.5 million with some incentives. The running back market has been extremely slow so far and that likely played a part in Penny's decision to re-up here, as Seattle wasn't expected to get in a bidding war for Penny. Chris Carson's recovery from neck surgery seemed to be going well in December, and Carson is set to have a $6.1 million cap figure this season. Unless the recovery goes worse than expected, a full-blown committee is possible here. Penny is coming off his best season with a career-high 253 offensive snaps and an 83.7 PFF run grade.
 The last time they had a full blown committee both guys were productive, but that was with Russ. Dunno who the QB and what the offensive scheme will be.

NBC SportsEDGE take:

The last time they had a full blown committee both guys were productive, but that was with Russ. Dunno who the QB and what the offensive scheme will be.
If I’m looking at value, I’m probably trying to buy Penny on this “full blown committee” narrative.

Neck injuries are sketchy. I’m about the biggest Chris Carson cheerleader on this forum, but IMO Penny will be a feature back at some point this season.

Now, what that means value-wise in a Lock-led offense (assuming they don’t get Mayfield) is a mystery, but I’d expect RB2/Flex-worthy numbers, should he take over.

That said, Penny is not without his own injury history.

Probably a situation to avoid, but I could see buying low-ish on Penny now & turning a profit in November. 

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Rashaad Penny is "resting a slight hamstring issue."

For a player with an injury history as lengthy as Penny's, this is more than a bit concerning, even if the season is three months away. Since Seattle drafted Penny in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft, he has appeared in just 37 games. Penny finally got healthy toward the end of the 2021 season and made the most of an injury-depleted backfield. He totaled 714 yards and six scores over his final six contests. Seattle then re-signed him to a one-year deal. He should have the inside track on the starting role over rookie Kenneth Walker. However, missing reps this early in the summer is a great way to land in a backfield-by-committee for Week 1.  

This is my surprised face

massraider said:
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Rashaad Penny is "resting a slight hamstring issue."

For a player with an injury history as lengthy as Penny's, this is more than a bit concerning, even if the season is three months away. Since Seattle drafted Penny in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft, he has appeared in just 37 games. Penny finally got healthy toward the end of the 2021 season and made the most of an injury-depleted backfield. He totaled 714 yards and six scores over his final six contests. Seattle then re-signed him to a one-year deal. He should have the inside track on the starting role over rookie Kenneth Walker. However, missing reps this early in the summer is a great way to land in a backfield-by-committee for Week 1.  

This is my surprised face
This will be Walker’s backfield by week three.  Walker is greatly unvalued in FF drafts.

This will be Walker’s backfield by week three.  Walker is greatly unvalued in FF drafts.
RBBC is my guess. Plus the season doesn’t start for what, 101 days? Seems like plenty of time to heal up a slight hammy pull. 

I have no pieces of this Seahawks backfield. It just sounds like wishful thinking. Penny got paid. He was a 1st round pick. He’ll have a role.

He might (*definitely will)  miss some time, but then Carroll will run out Homer & Dallas and anyone else with a pulse to dash the hopes & dreams of Walker shareholders.

Also worth mentioning, we still don’t know if Walker will perform at the pro level behind a suspect OL, with an offense that might see a lot of 3-and-outs with Lock or Smith. 

While I do think Penny heads into the season as the starter, he only signed a one year deal for not very much money.
Was not bad money either as the position goes on a one year deal either and main reason he could not get more was his past injury history. Penny says he got offered more elsewhere, Carroll said he was a main FA priority and maybe both of those things are just player/coach speak. But I do think Penny returned to SEA on idea he was fully going to get every chance to have a big role and establish his value and health going forward. I don't think drafting Walker changed that with respect to Penny being main RB, but likely had major impact on his ability to be a major workhorse. In fantasy terms it did not crush him, it severely dented his upside. That's how I see this situation and fwiw I own both of them, twice on teams together. Hate to say this but for fantasy reasons I'll probably be better off when one is healthy and the other is not.

Was not bad money either as the position goes on a one year deal either and main reason he could not get more was his past injury history. Penny says he got offered more elsewhere, Carroll said he was a main FA priority and maybe both of those things are just player/coach speak. But I do think Penny returned to SEA on idea he was fully going to get every chance to have a big role and establish his value and health going forward. I don't think drafting Walker changed that with respect to Penny being main RB, but likely had major impact on his ability to be a major workhorse. In fantasy terms it did not crush him, it severely dented his upside. That's how I see this situation and fwiw I own both of them, twice on teams together. Hate to say this but for fantasy reasons I'll probably be better off when one is healthy and the other is not.
As I said I do think Penny starts when healthy and is the leader of the RBBC - I just don't see much commitment on a one year $5.7MM deal. The drafting of Walker in the early second also says something - I think the plan is for him to take the lead role next year after working with Penny this year. I only own Penny and have no shares of Walker, so I hope Penny gets a large majority and stays healthy all season - that seems unlikely though based on his track record.

If he really had better offers, as an oft injured aging RB, he made a pretty bad decision not to take it, imo.

As I said I do think Penny starts when healthy and is the leader of the RBBC - I just don't see much commitment on a one year $5.7MM deal. The drafting of Walker in the early second also says something - I think the plan is for him to take the lead role next year after working with Penny this year.

I agree with this as well and it's also why I don't think this as huge a deal to Penny's dynasty value as people make it. I got some Michael Carter and some Penny dynasty shares, on one team together. Carter got crushed, Penny got dinged for a year and maybe a lot and then it's a reset.  Big difference.

If he really had better offers, as an oft injured aging RB, he made a pretty bad decision not to take it, imo.
I do not however really agree with this. Just because he's been often injured does not mean he should consider himself to be injury prone going forward. Things change. Remember when SEA drafted him one of the reasons they cited was his durability. His age is not so much that he can't land a contract like Melvin got with the Denver the first time or at worse similar to what another often injured RB, Conner, got with Arizona. Fournett'es contract is worst then those two but he's another example, the first two times he signed with TB was super cheap, less then Penny is signing for now and at worst he's now at $9M for the year or $15M for two.  Also fair to note Penny's wear and tear has been low and I do think NFL teams factor that in the equation. If by more money it meant committing him to more years or being put in an offense he did not trust to help him maximize his play I think it makes perfect sense to return.

One thing that hurts us all is when we stay with a RB too long knowing it isn't going to work out long term, for whatever reason.  I've never been a Penny collector, but I've made similar mistakes with other RBs.

One thing that hurts us all is when we stay with a RB too long knowing it isn't going to work out long term, for whatever reason.  I've never been a Penny collector, but I've made similar mistakes with other RBs.
Maybe but honestly can't think of a RB this applies to less then Penny.

There are no long term Penny collectors in any of my dynasty leagues. He was on the waiver wire in 100% of them last year. Anyone who invested already gave up. In my leagues anyway,  anyone who rosters him now is a short term owner who got him for super cheap.

RBBC is my guess. Plus the season doesn’t start for what, 101 days? Seems like plenty of time to heal up a slight hammy pull. 

I have no pieces of this Seahawks backfield. It just sounds like wishful thinking.

Penny

got paid. He was a 1st round pick. He’ll have a role.

He might (*definitely will)  miss some time, but then Carroll will run out

Homer

&

Dallas

and anyone else with a pulse to dash the hopes & dreams of

Walker

shareholders.

Also worth mentioning, we still don’t know if

Walker

will perform at the pro level behind a suspect OL, with an offense that might see a lot of 3-and-outs with

Lock

or

Smith

Lot of people are a lot more interested in this crap backfield with a crap QB and a fossilized coach than I am. 

There are no long term Penny collectors in any of my dynasty leagues. He was on the waiver wire in 100% of them last year. Anyone who invested already gave up. In my leagues anyway,  anyone who rosters him now is a short term owner who got him for super cheap.
Strange.  He's never been on the waiver wire in any of my leagues.  You must be talking redraft.

Strange.  He's never been on the waiver wire in any of my leagues.  You must be talking redraft.

There are no long term Penny collectors in any of my dynasty leagues. He was on the waiver wire in 100% of them last year. Anyone who invested already gave up. In my leagues anyway,  anyone who rosters him now is a short term owner who got him for super cheap.
OK, then really strange unless very shallow leagues, like 15 man rosters or something like that.  I've not seen him on the waiver wire in ANY dynasty leagues.  I would love it if others would jump in and let me know how many of their dynasty leagues Penny was on the waiver wire and the number of roster spots in your league.

Users who are viewing this thread