What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Road To The 2018 Triple Crown - 5/10: Justy Back On (The) Track, Ruis Will Ship Bolty/Duck The Rain ** (1 Viewer)

Anyone who's been around a shedrow knows that stable confinement and other constituent factors in racetrack life is far less than optimum living circumstances for a horse. Matter of fact, there was a time when a racehorse with no breeding future went straight to the knackers (glue factory) because their stallbound lives made them too fractious for farm/pet life. Another dichotomy is that maybe only restaurant people exceed horse people as those who so willingly devote their entire wakefulness to their respective worlds for so little reward, out of love of the animals & their abilities (for my money, a champion thoroughbred who knows he is a champion is the most beautiful being in creation), yet treatments many would consider abusive are a regular part of the sport.

In addition, the combination of the equine heart being perhaps the most substantial (and difficult to stress) organ in the animal kingdom and the thoroughbred horse being bred (the longer the very-fracturable cannon bone - matter of fact, training is essentially the art of microfracturing bone matter in manners which increase density - the better) to have ultimately efficient but fragile leg structure makes it so that danger is as much a fact as triumph in the game.

Be that as it may, every one of these animals exist because they were bred for a purpose - no different than a beefcow, pack animal or pet. They love their every chance to run and most flourish more with a person on their back than if they'd never felt the bit. "Running down" (the term for Justy's 3-day-max difficulties) doesnt impact a horse's well-being any more than a child's skinned knee or Marcus Smart's floor burns. Allow the sport or not, regulate abuses, then leave these dedicated people & their spectacular charges the #### alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
@wikkidpissah - agreed on just about every point  :thumbup:

but as far as the prognosis is concerned, you're going on trainer speak right now - maybe something is more amiss than they're letting on ... would that surprise you? 

and that's why i hope we get full compliance and transparency (couple things we're not used to in this game by any stretch).

so, yeah ... let's have BB prove the sound condition, and let's get the #### on with it ... because if he doesn't, and Justy missteps (whether it has to do with this condition or not) then batten down them hatches, 'cuz they'll be a #### storm the likes of which we've never seen. 

he wouldn't be 'caving' or 'capitulating' ... just (hopefully) silencing. 

Good Magic & Lone Sailor now on the possible list for Pimlico  :thumbup:

(no word on the Magician's Guild demanding GM's credentials)

:coffee:

**cleared up the facacta edit job from last night**

upon further (independent) examination ... 

>>> Kentucky Derby winner Justify is no longer suffering from scratches, what trainer Bob Baffert described as a diaper rash-like reaction to winning Saturday's race in the slop. But multiple reports Tuesday indicate the colt was examined by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission and found to have a bruised heel, the severity of which seems minor.

The KHRC's equine medical director, Dr. Mary Scollay, told Louisville's Courier Journal newspaper she "wouldn't have any reservations" about running the colt in the 2018 Preakness Stakes as planned on May 19 at Pimlico.

Kathy Guillermo, senior vice president for the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals, posted to her Twitter account that she also received confirmation of the heel bruise from the KHRC. PETA had called for examination of Justify after he favored his left-hind leg the morning after the Derby.

“We cleared it up," Baffert told Horse Racing Nation in a text message. "It wasn’t that bad. The track was tough on all of them. Looks great today.”

“We’re looking forward to the Preakness,” added Elliott Walden, whose WinStar Farm co-owns Justify. “He looked like to me, other than that irritation (on a hind leg), he came out of the race great. He looked bright and was feeling very good, had a good energy level.”

“A bruise is something you can recover from without long-term consequences,” Scollay told Paulick Report. “That said, I don't have a crystal ball. He bruised it once and could bruise it again – that's an unknown. But he certainly looked and felt good today and we were pleased to see that.” <<<

ok, so he was checked out by the Medical Director herself - looks like the PETA pressure got to them here, and it was definitely for the better (bettor?)  :D

but, wtf happened to the "scratches"?  they magically cleared up, and this previously undisclosed heel bruise is discovered by someone not affiliated with the barn?   look, not necessarily calling shenanigans here, but it does have a bit of a dodgy air to it   :unsure:

Here is the vid that started it all - now, this was from Sunday, when BB wheeled Justy out for a meet and greet ... curiously enough, not one reporter on the scene pressed for why he looked a bit ginger ( and i don't mean his coat) ... wasn't until folks who saw the vid took to the social mediaz and highlighted it, causing a bit of a #### storm up 'round there - only afterwards that Baffert acknowledged it at all, and came out with this "scratches" diagnosis.  that still didn't satisfy those who thought the tenderness exhibited was a harbinger of worse, ergo prompting the PETA involvement, and the subsequent third party "look/see".

he was supposed to hit the track today, but is now behind schedule ... word is we will see him tomorrow, but, remains to be seen - this could all be a very minor ding, or ...

either way, this Preakness slam dunk is anything but as of right now.

Just got an email saying that Audible came out ok and has shipped to NY to prepare for the Belmont.

Justify walked the shedrow at CD this am and is scheduled to gallop tomorrow am (Thursday 730am).  

Nothing about how Justify came out so take that how you want.

So much rain.  Paper said it was "the wettest" in the 144 year history.  Still a good time with @Guster, @Thorn, and @Disco Stu.

Spent most of the time trying to stay dry in the infield, often under lids of dumpsters.  Somehow we sneaked our way in (and eventually got kicked out of) some private Corona two story structure.

By the time the big race rolled around, my DRF was in wet clumps, and I was too drunk to care about what I wanted to bet.  I didn't have Justify in the winning spot of my tri and super wheels.
Well we "snuck" in because we shared the high end bourbon nips that @Guster brought with the nice folks in front of us in line, and then when they saw us miserable in the rain, the got us past the velvet ropes.  And FTR we did not get kicked out.  We closed it down.  Do you not remember the bartenders hugging us?  Almost like you weren't even there.

Well we "snuck" in because we shared the high end bourbon nips that @Guster brought with the nice folks in front of us in line, and then when they saw us miserable in the rain, the got us past the velvet ropes.  And FTR we did not get kicked out.  We closed it down.  Do you not remember the bartenders hugging us?  Almost like you weren't even there.
Starting to think I wasn't there.

from what i've ascertained poking around the webz this morning, it appears that Lone Sailor/Gimmeamint are awaiting Justy's status to see about entering Preakness - the latter was last seen on Derby day bottoming out the yuuuuge Pat Day Mile trifecta. 

also conflicting reports on Bolty - first i saw was that Ruis was putting him on ice 'til the PC Classic later on at Del Mar, another said Ruis is taking the same "wait and see" stance regarding Justy  :shrug:

a lot riding on the status of that heel - we should know shortly if he even got out on the track this morning. 

ETA: just ran across this < he's on the track with protected heel 

ETA 2 : supposedly looked OK in his gallop 

Justy back out there today  :thumbup:

now Ruis pivots ... i would expect a Pimlico ship next week, and a race day scratch if wet. 

>>> Mick Ruis says Bolt d’Oro pointed to Preakness “If all goes well in training and we have a good track on race day.” ... Otherwise he stays at Keeneland until next start. Two possibilities: $500,000 Penn Mile on turf, June 2 or 7f Woody Stephens on Belmont Day <<<

this one might be a monster dialed back to that 7f - will make for a very heavy wager point prior to the big one at Big Sandy. 

Alas, we must continue down the Triple Crown Trail without our founder, leader and guardian angel. @otb_lifer has left the FFA in response to Bryant's latest purge. He told me he would even have done so if those ridiculous actions had taken place the week before the Derby - that's how strongly he's feels. Were not so many of my efforts to make the world a brighter place officed in this community, i would be right behind him. I will miss his passion, his care, his thoroughgoing enthusiasm, and the bi-polar energies which made his contributions to this site ever so much more valuable than the administration will ever understand. Continue to say nothing as greed dulls our senses to match its own, but do not then wonder where went the flavors of life. Best wishes for a 58.2 breeze thru life, my friend.

Alas, we must continue down the Triple Crown Trail without our founder, leader and guardian angel. @otb_lifer has left the FFA in response to Bryant's latest purge. He told me he would even have done so if those ridiculous actions had taken place the week before the Derby - that's how strongly he's feels. Were not so many of my efforts to make the world a brighter place officed in this community, i would be right behind him. I will miss his passion, his care, his thoroughgoing enthusiasm, and the bi-polar energies which made his contributions to this site ever so much more valuable than the administration will ever understand. Continue to say nothing as greed dulls our senses to match its own, but do not then wonder where went the flavors of life. Best wishes for a 58.2 breeze thru life, my friend.
Wait, what? Because of the banning of "Who's hottest?" threads? This cannot stand. Who will lead us? 

Wait, what? Because of the banning of "Who's hottest?" threads? This cannot stand. Who will lead us? 
Yes. @otb_lifer put a great deal of work & care into his "In praise of women" thread, which was purged with the WH threads, and thought there was a tacit agreement in place with mgmt he had gained after previous censorships which was violated by this erasure.

Yes. @otb_lifer put a great deal of work & care into his "In praise of women" thread, which was purged with the WH threads, and thought there was a tacit agreement in place with mgmt he had gained after previous censorships which was violated by this erasure.
I didn't care a whit about the banning of those threads, until now. I have to believe he'll be back after a cooling off period. At least I hope he is. And hope is a good thing... Maybe the best of things. 

wtf  :rant:

Wat?  Come on.  Bring him back.

Two more Southern California horses dominate today in New York, going 1-2 in the Peter Pan.  Blended Citizen won going away, although it set up nicely for him.  He'll be fresh and taking on some tired foes if they keep him there for the Belmont.  A mile and a half would really be pushing it with his breeding but I could see O'Neill wanting to try.  His sire Proud Citizen ran a fading 5th in the Belmont, after running 2nd in the Derby and 3rd in the Preakness.  Poor guy got vanned off.  D. Wayne Lukas trained.

Two more Southern California horses dominate today in New York, going 1-2 in the Peter Pan.  Blended Citizen won going away, although it set up nicely for him.  He'll be fresh and taking on some tired foes if they keep him there for the Belmont.  A mile and a half would really be pushing it with his breeding but I could see O'Neill wanting to try.  His sire Proud Citizen ran a fading 5th in the Belmont, after running 2nd in the Derby and 3rd in the Preakness.  Poor guy got vanned off.  D. Wayne Lukas trained.
I believe Blended Citizen was the horse who had the best final quarter on the Derby Trail, in a race @ Turfway. I can't be sure - if only there was someone i could ask....

It's killing me.  I want to talk about Preakness in here and it just doesn't feel right carrying on the thread without him.
This looked like a thread people enjoyed. I wish he'd come back. I considered him a pretty good iFriend. He'd even offered to meet up for drinks, but we're cross-country, so...

Maybe he'll rethink it, though he seems like a person that sort of sticks to his guns, so to speak.  

Not much of a race from the general public perspective. It's all about can the chalk get through this week to set up another triple crown bid?

It's killing me.  I want to talk about Preakness in here and it just doesn't feel right carrying on the thread without him.

I guess I've technically talked enough Preakness this week at FBG this week to last a while anyway.
When you wrote "it's killing me," the thought of OTB running across the top of the porta potties was a vision I had at the time. 

When you wrote "it's killing me," the thought of OTB running across the top of the porta potties was a vision I had at the time. 
Whenever I think of The Kentucky Derby I think of mint juleps & women wearing big hats. Whenever I think Preakness I think of this. 

I'm a noob at horse racing but will be able to place a bet or two this afternoon at the dog track. 

Suggestions?

I'm a noob at horse racing but will be able to place a bet or two this afternoon at the dog track. 

Suggestions?
not much to make dough on today, i'm afraid - the 2nd best horse is as much better than the rest of the field as the winner is better than him

Preakness named after a 19th C racehorse of little-but-local consequence

currently, Justy 1-2. GM 5-1, Quip 9-1. $6 exacta pay, maybe?
My guess is the exacta will pay 4-5 bucks and this trifecta will pay about $25-30 on a $2 wager. I just don't know if there's money to be won here unless Justify or (to a lesser degree Good Magic) just tanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread