What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rumblings of Kevan Barlow to Denver (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yao Ming

Footballguy
I have a friend who works inside the SF organization, says there's been an unusual amount of communication today between SF and Denver. Kevan Barlow was also spotted at the facility today with his agent. He said it's very starnge, but has the look of something about to go down.

Barlow for Lelie??
Not for Lelie for sure , all they could get for Lelie is a dirty jock strap.Lelie is a worthless WR.
I think Lelie is not nearly as good a WR as Barlow is a RB but you also have to take into consideration the market for each position. There are no WR's this year and plenty of RB's on the market.

I have a friend who works inside the SF organization, says there's been an unusual amount of communication today between SF and Denver. Kevan Barlow was also spotted at the facility today with his agent. He said it's very starnge, but has the look of something about to go down.
BEST NEWS I READ ALL DAY ABOUT DA NINERS!!!!!Now, how true it is, i don't know but makes me happy thinking about barlow on another team :D

Did your friend's mother's uncle's cousin who works at the local gas station tell you about this?

How would the Niners look with Battle, Randle El or Givens, and Lelie as their top 3 guys? Niners are also getting Derrick Hamilton back from injury.

Would it be a significant upgrade over Lloyd, Battle, Morton??

This draft is also relatively deep at RB so the 49ers should be able to find an adequate RB in the later rounds (second day), and they still have Gore and Hicks

Only thing troubling about this is that Gore will be coming off surgeries to both of his shoulders, so durablity will be a huge question mark

Last edited by a moderator:
It's bad enough that you're making up stories in other threads, but stop creating BS threads.

:IBTL:

Wow, you certainly have your fair share of connections/occurrences.

If there indeed were conversation between SF and Denver - would it not be about Lloyd that SF is shopping?

THis could be interesting and kind of makes sense. Wasn't it Shanny who said "Barlow is the best back in this draft" the year Barlow came out?

THis could be interesting and kind of makes sense.  Wasn't it Shanny who said "Barlow is the best back in this draft"  the year Barlow came out?
Not sure if that was Shanahan, may have been Walsh.anyhow, It's Showtime
Player Spotlight: Kevan Barlow Two springs ago, Mike Shanahan -- who knows a thing or two about running backs -- tabbed Pittsburgh tailback Kevan Barlow as the best back in the 2001 draft. Despite Shanahan’s kind words, Barlow was the 80th player taken, going to the Niners toward the end of round three.

With Garrison Hearst trying to come back after two lost seasons, many of us assumed Barlow would be San Fran’s starter as a rookie. We were wrong. Ironically, Hearst regained his health and the starting job, while Barlow battled injuries of his own before giving the Niners a serious spark off the bench. Barlow did very well in limited duty, rushing for 512 yards and five scores on 125 carries, but he never lived up to Shanny’s tremendous tout.

What a difference an offseason makes.

After battling injuries and a mild weight problem during his rookie season, Barlow moved in with Terrell Owens during the offseason. The results are a leaner frame, more speed, and lots and lots of hype.

“I learned how to be a robot this summer,” Barlow told the Sacramento Bee about living and working out with T.O. in Atlanta. “The man is a workaholic, dude. He’s nonstop.”

In addition to working out like a madman, Barlow changed his eating habits. Basically, he had to give up junk food and sweets for egg whites and chicken breasts.

“The hardest part for him was staying away from the sweets,” Owens told the SacBee. “He’s a big cheater.”

“I think I’ll finish more runs this year, bust some long ones for touchdowns,” Barlow said of dropping his weight from the 240-range down to 235.

Coach Steve Mariucci has noticed a different Barlow as well.

“He’s leaner,” Mooch told the SacBee. “He’s been training in a different fashion since he’s been here. Last year, his quad bothered him. He’s going to be in a lot better shape. I think he’s stronger even though he’s lighter.”

And with Barlow ripped and ready, and Hearst feeling better after a rare healthy offseason, many around the Niners are wondering aloud if they could have a pair of 1,000-yard rushers.

“That’s my dream,” running backs coach Tom Rathman told the S.F. Chronicle. “If we could get two guys in the same season, 1,000-1,000 -- that’s one of my goals.”

Barlow will not start for the 2002 Niners unless Hearst suffers another injury. But that does not mean this chiseled kid cannot have a solid fantasy season. After racking up 759 total yards and five scores as a part-timer last season, it’s safe to assume that increased involvement in the offense gets Barlow over 1,000 total yards and close to 10 touchdowns. Remember, of Barlow’s four TD runs as a rookie, every one came from the one- or two-yard line, and he figures to get even more goal-line duty this year.

Plus, dig his potential if the 31-year-old Hearst, who has played 16 games only four times in nine pro seasons, goes down for an extended period of time. Barlow instantly would gain elite fantasy status.

When you merge the Hearst-injury angle with Barlow’s rare combo of size and speed and his current involvement in San Francisco’s offense (10-15 touches per game), he becomes more sleeper than handcuff. Think about it, given those touches and goal-line duty, Barlow is a borderline fantasy starter even though he isn’t an NFL starter. That rocks.

If you have the chance to draft Barlow in the seventh round (or late in the sixth), you better pull the trigger. I took him early in the seventh round of a recent draft, and the Hearst owner, who had planned on taking Barlow three picks later, still won’t talk to me. Oh well, I got my favorite running back sleeper and he took out his frustration on the Fred Taylor owner by taking sleeper/handcuff Stacey Mack.

Isn’t fantasy football great?

Two springs ago, Mike Shanahan -- who knows a thing or two about running backs -- tabbed Pittsburgh tailback Kevan Barlow as the best back in the 2001 draft. Despite Shanahan’s kind words, Barlow was the 80th player taken, going to the Niners toward the end of round three.
Cool, thanks for the find. Hasn't Shanahan's "knowing a thing or two about running backs" taken a hit over the past few years?

Barlow jumps into a top 10 pos right away if traded to Denver.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Two springs ago, Mike Shanahan -- who knows a thing or two about running backs -- tabbed Pittsburgh tailback Kevan Barlow as the best back in the 2001 draft. Despite Shanahan’s kind words, Barlow was the 80th player taken, going to the Niners toward the end of round three.
Cool, thanks for the find. Hasn't Shanahan's "knowing a thing or two about running backs" taken a hit over the past few years?
:lmao: Mo Clarett, if considered a find!

I believe that article was posted back in 2003.

I realize that. I was just wondering if Shanahan's rep of pulling runners out of a crap pile for success has been tainted in recent years. The RBs that he's drafted higher haven't done as well as the no-names, which gives some credence to the scheme debate. I still think that Barlow could succeed in this league, so what do I kow ;)

I realize that. I was just wondering if Shanahan's rep of pulling runners out of a crap pile for success has been tainted in recent years. The RBs that he's drafted higher haven't done as well as the no-names, which gives some credence to the scheme debate. I still think that Barlow could succeed in this league, so what do I kow ;)
Barlow running for Denver would have more FF value than Barlow running for SF

Barlow running for Denver would have more FF value than Barlow running for SF
This just in: water is still wet.Film at 11.

Seriously though fellas, read through some of these archived articles in Barlow's website. Stuff from when he was coming off his 1000 season, supposedly on his way to studness. He should've been a can't-miss star and we are not to be faulted for believing as such.

I don't know. Not really. I mean, yes, he missed on Maurice Clarett, and Quentin Griffin never stuck... but Griffin was a 2nd day pick, and Maurice Clarett might as well have been (the last pick of the first day, and Shanny said afterwards that he would have traded down to grab him later if he could have traded compensetory picks). In the meantime, Tatum Bell hasn't exactly lit the world on fire... but let's compare him to the other first and second round RBs who played their second season last year...Tatum Bell- 921 yards, 8 TDs, 5.3 ypc

Willis McGahee- 1247/5/3.8

Kevin Jones- 664/5/3.6

Julius Jones- 993/5/3.9

Chris Perry- 279/0/4.6

Of course, there's the feeling that anyone could succeed in Denver... so here's what former Denver RBs did in new locations last year...

Clinton Portis- 1516/11/4.3

Reuben Droughns- 1232/2/4.0 (the first 1,000 yard rusher in Cleveland in 20 years).

I still think that Shanahan and company have the golden touch when evaluating RB talent... especially since Clarett didn't really fail out because he wasn't talented, he failed out because he made Daryl Gardener look like a workaholic and model citizen.

I mean, when you're getting criticized about not turning second day draft selections into studs, then you're pretty darn amazing at evaluating talent. Just my humble opinion.

Also, can we quit with the Maurice Clarett stuff already? There were 8 players who were drafted AHEAD of Clarett with NONCOMPENSETORY (and therefore tradeable) draft picks who got cut from their respective teams before the season started... but you don't hear a word about how those guys are a black mark on the records of the GMs that picked them, do you?

cut and paste I just got from Adam:

Reply-To :

Sent : Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:29 PM

To : "lammey@footballguys.com" <lammey@footballguys.com>

Subject : Re: Barlow to Denver?

| | | Inbox

Cec - Don't think Barlow is true but don't know for sure. Think Denver has its sights set on bigger targets, as you'll see.

we'll be in touch.

Cheers!

Adam

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.

Interesting quote in bold....

Adam Schefter= :thumbup:

Reply-To :

Sent :  Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:29 PM

To :  "lammey@footballguys.com" <lammey@footballguys.com>

Subject :  Re: Barlow to Denver?

|  |  | Inbox

Cec -  Don't think Barlow is true but don't know for sure. Think Denver has its sights set on bigger targets, as you'll see.

we'll be in touch.

Cheers!

Adam

Then it's settled. They are about to sign Daunte Culpepper and Terrell Owens!Someone get in touch with ClevelandBrowns.com and ProFootballTalk.com now!

Last edited:
I don't know. Not really. I mean, yes, he missed on Maurice Clarett, and Quentin Griffin never stuck... but Griffin was a 2nd day pick, and Maurice Clarett might as well have been (the last pick of the first day, and Shanny said afterwards that he would have traded down to grab him later if he could have traded compensetory picks). In the meantime, Tatum Bell hasn't exactly lit the world on fire... but let's compare him to the other first and second round RBs who played their second season last year...Tatum Bell- 921 yards, 8 TDs, 5.3 ypc

Willis McGahee- 1247/5/3.8

Kevin Jones- 664/5/3.6

Julius Jones- 993/5/3.9

Chris Perry- 279/0/4.6

Of course, there's the feeling that anyone could succeed in Denver... so here's what former Denver RBs did in new locations last year...

Clinton Portis- 1516/11/4.3

Reuben Droughns- 1232/2/4.0 (the first 1,000 yard rusher in Cleveland in 20 years).

I still think that Shanahan and company have the golden touch when evaluating RB talent... especially since Clarett didn't really fail out because he wasn't talented, he failed out because he made Daryl Gardener look like a workaholic and model citizen.

I mean, when you're getting criticized about not turning second day draft selections into studs, then you're pretty darn amazing at evaluating talent. Just my humble opinion.

Also, can we quit with the Maurice Clarett stuff already? There were 8 players who were drafted AHEAD of Clarett with NONCOMPENSETORY (and therefore tradeable) draft picks who got cut from their respective teams before the season started... but you don't hear a word about how those guys are a black mark on the records of the GMs that picked them, do you?
Also - the contract that Clarett signed (genius move by Sundquist or stupidity by Clarett) meant that cutting him cost the Broncos nothing

Reply-To :

| | | Inbox

Cec - Don't think Barlow is true but don't know for sure. Think Denver has its sights set on bigger targets, as you'll see.

we'll be in touch.

Cheers!

Adam

Nice connection Cecil - that is totally cool !!!

:thumbup:

Reply-To :

| | | Inbox

we'll be in touch.

Cheers!

Adam

If he was referencing RON DAYNE, then that is simply brilliant.

I doubt he was referencing Dayne, since Dayne had already signed a new 3 year deal by the time Schefter sent that email to Lammey (he signed it Friday afternoon). Which means we're looking at either Jamal Lewis or Edgerrin James.I'm surprised Denver would go after a big-name RB, since that's completely contrary to their standard operating procedure (this is the third straight year they've let last season's leading rusher leave rather than pay him even an average RB salary). That said, I believe Schefter, since his sources have always been as good as they get, at least when it comes to Denver. I just hope they land James and not Lewis. Or better yet, Chester Taylor- all the production at a third of the cost.

I just hope they land James and not Lewis. Or better yet, Chester Taylor- all the production at a third of the cost.
Taylor is now a Viking. Edge has a huge offer from the Cardinals so its unlikely Denver can match. Hopefully this means that Jamal Lewis will be made an offer that the Ravens can't/won't match :thumbup:

I doubt he was referencing Dayne, since Dayne had already signed a new 3 year deal by the time Schefter sent that email to Lammey (he signed it Friday afternoon). Which means we're looking at either Jamal Lewis or Edgerrin James.I'm surprised Denver would go after a big-name RB, since that's completely contrary to their standard operating procedure (this is the third straight year they've let last season's leading rusher leave rather than pay him even an average RB salary). That said, I believe Schefter, since his sources have always been as good as they get, at least when it comes to Denver. I just hope they land James and not Lewis. Or better yet, Chester Taylor- all the production at a third of the cost.
I didn't take this E-mail to necessarily be a RB. Maybe he was refering to T.O. as "Bigger Targets".

Reply-To :

Sent :  Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:29 PM

To :  "lammey@footballguys.com" <lammey@footballguys.com>

Subject :  Re: Barlow to Denver?

|  |  | Inbox

Cec -  Don't think Barlow is true but don't know for sure. Think Denver has its sights set on bigger targets, as you'll see.

we'll be in touch.

Cheers!

Adam

Nice connection Cecil - that is totally cool !!! :thumbup:
Adam is one of the most down to earth guys I know. Very kind, very cool and someone I consider a good friend. And he loves FBG's!

I didn't take this E-mail to necessarily be a RB. Maybe he was refering to T.O. as "Bigger Targets".
That's what I thought he was referring to as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if anything develops.

Reply-To :

| | | Inbox

we'll be in touch.

Cheers!

Adam

Ricky Williams :ducks-and-runs-for-cover:

I know people are down on Lewis but I think in the Denver offense, Lewis will be a top 5 back and will make people forget about his lackluster season last year. I would make Jamal a lock for 1500 yards and double digit TD, just my opinion.

I know I am in the minority here but I think the Broncos should head into the season with Bell and Dayne. I am a big fan of Dayne and I was hoping the Cowboys would grab him last year. I think Dayne was misused in every sense of the word while he was in NY. He isn't a 3rd down/change of pace guy, he is a 25-30 carries a game guy. He will always lose yards or get 2 yards on a lot of his carries but he will also throw down 10-25 yard gains by powering over people. I know a lot of people will probably argue with me on this, but it is just my opinion. I think Dayne could be a really solid back if he were given the starting role and Tater Tot Bell is the perfect compliment to him.

I called my source from within the SF organization this morning, he says Barlow and his agent were at the complex late into the night. The situation certainly gives the impression that they're in the midst of a trade and perhaps renegotiating the terms of Barlow's contract with the new team.

Unless Adam Schefter is sitting at the SF complex today as my friend is, then I'd say he doesn't know what he's talking about above watching ESPN news.

I called my source from within the SF organization this morning, he says Barlow and his agent were at the complex late into the night. The situation certainly gives the impression that they're in the midst of a trade and perhaps renegotiating the terms of Barlow's contract with the new team.

Unless Adam Schefter is sitting at the SF complex today as my friend is, then I'd say he doesn't know what he's talking about above watching ESPN news.
Hey Yao, if this is real, thanks for sharing this. :thumbup:

Maybe they would like Barlow to take a pay cut. :confused:

Adam Schefter > Yao Ming

Adam Schefter > Yao Ming
Second hand info from anyone that's met Adam Schefter before > Yao Ming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread