What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting In Mall In Columbia Maryland (1 Viewer)

AK-47's for everyone
You can't even take 20 minutes off from being a complete #######?
You don't think the anti-gun people out there are within their rights for expressing their frustration with this? I mean....come on. We want to know what it will take for America to rethink its stance on gun control because if Sandy Hook didn't do it, we don't know what will. Forgive TG for expressing his emotions through irreverent choices. Guys like us are just....we're ####### tired of this ####. We've been tired of this ####. For decades. It's tragic and it sucks, but I for one am exhausted at typing out compassionate words of sorrow when these shootings happen every other week, with varying degrees of tragic horror. And yet we do nothing. Nothing.
To be fair....this could have been done with knives, rocks, metal folding chairs or frying pans......You prepared to legislate all those things away too?
:lmao: Greatest argument ever.Link a single story - just one - where a person killed three people with a frying pan.

AK-47's for everyone
You don't think the anti-gun people out there are within their rights for expressing their frustration with this? I mean....come on. We want to know what it will take for America to rethink its stance on gun control because if Sandy Hook didn't do it, we don't know what will. Forgive TG for expressing his emotions through irreverent choices. Guys like us are just....we're ####### tired of this ####. We've been tired of this ####. For decades. It's tragic and it sucks, but I for one am exhausted at typing out compassionate words of sorrow when these shootings happen every other week, with varying degrees of tragic horror. And yet we do nothing. Nothing.
To be fair....this could have been done with knives, rocks, metal folding chairs or frying pans......You prepared to legislate all those things away too?
:lmao: Greatest argument ever.Link a single story - just one - where a person killed three people with a frying pan.
I can link 3 stories of people killed by frying pans.

Shooting appears to have taken place in Zumiez, a surf shop according to WBAL. Shooter came out of the back room. Someone jumped off the second level while trying to get away and is being treated for a sprained ankle. Someone else got shot in the foot and is being treated for that. One other person had a seizure and was transported to a local hospital.

Next news conference is at 4pm.

AK-47's for everyone
While I agree with your frustration. What are you proposing? Americans give up all guns? The way Americans gave up some of their rights in the name of a war on terror? How has that been working out?I don't see the anti-gun crowd coming up with any better solutions than the pro-gun crowd.
Universal background checks.Magazine limits.

Assault Rifle ban.

Your turn.
Please make me laugh more - Tell me what an assault rifle is. No need to capitalize the first letters either.
An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between semi-automatic, fully automatic and/or burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

The first letter in every line of a list is always capitalized. I accidentally capitalized the "R". You guys are a touchy bunch.

AK-47's for everyone
While I agree with your frustration. What are you proposing? Americans give up all guns? The way Americans gave up some of their rights in the name of a war on terror? How has that been working out?I don't see the anti-gun crowd coming up with any better solutions than the pro-gun crowd.

Assault Rifle ban.

Your turn.
Please make me laugh more - Tell me what an assault rifle is. No need to capitalize the first letters either.
An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between semi-automatic, fully automatic and/or burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

The first letter in every line of a list is always capitalized. I accidentally capitalized the "R". You guys are a touchy bunch.
Can you tell us which assault rifles are available to the public? Specifically ones with burst or automatic fire?

Last edited by a moderator:
AK-47's for everyone

Assault Rifle ban.

Your turn.

Can you tell us which assault rifles are available to the public? Specifically ones with burst or automatic fire?
http://grabagun.com/salesperson/result/?q=assault%20rifles&Trigger=ac

:shrug:

So despite statistics that show violent crime is down across the board (at least our current administration tells us), everyone is all upset that this is some kind of new trend?

Not to sound harsh, but this is just like the media's coverage of the Shark Attacks in 2001. Every time a person was attacked, it was the top story on the news that night and people saw it as an epidemic. Yet, when all was said and done and the numbers tallied up, the numbers were no higher than they were the years before,

I think that (taking some of the more abhorrent crimes out of the mix Sandy Hook for example) these random shooting were 3-4 people are killed are not anything new and not some kind of trend, but just something the media latches on to and reports with screaming headlines to incite people and drive ratings.

Again just my .02.
Whether it's a new trend or not, there are ways to make it less likely, and we keep refusing to do them. One obvious means of reducing gun violence is to have background checks on all gun purchases and transfers without exception. Another way is to have universal registration of all firearms owned in this country.
What do when the gov confiscates all the guns because they are all registered and we are all forced in to concentration camps?

So despite statistics that show violent crime is down across the board (at least our current administration tells us), everyone is all upset that this is some kind of new trend?

Not to sound harsh, but this is just like the media's coverage of the Shark Attacks in 2001. Every time a person was attacked, it was the top story on the news that night and people saw it as an epidemic. Yet, when all was said and done and the numbers tallied up, the numbers were no higher than they were the years before,

I think that (taking some of the more abhorrent crimes out of the mix Sandy Hook for example) these random shooting were 3-4 people are killed are not anything new and not some kind of trend, but just something the media latches on to and reports with screaming headlines to incite people and drive ratings.

Again just my .02.
Whether it's a new trend or not, there are ways to make it less likely, and we keep refusing to do them. One obvious means of reducing gun violence is to have background checks on all gun purchases and transfers without exception. Another way is to have universal registration of all firearms owned in this country.
What do when the gov confiscates all the guns because they are all registered and we are all forced in to concentration camps?

Again just my .02.
When you learn to write in English, you should probably use whatever therapy is available to you to heal up or at least pick a better brand of shtick - you're awful at this version of it.

Again just my .02.
We submit quietly of course and go.

We need more guns, not less. It should be the law that every adult must carry

Hollywood created a vision of the wild west but in reality gun violence was very rare because everyone was strapped

The yahoos will not feel more powerful and inclined to shoot if everyone has a gun and can retaliate

The severe mentally ill will always find ways to hurt people so nothing can really be done about them except euthanize them

Again just my .02.
Any history on that? How did it work out in the USSR and in Mao's China?

Hollywood created a vision of the wild west but in reality gun violence was very rare because everyone was strapped

The yahoos will not feel more powerful and inclined to shoot if everyone has a gun and can retaliate

The severe mentally ill will always find ways to hurt people so nothing can really be done about them except euthanize them
OK, this has to be shtick.

Again just my .02.
Well that depends on what history you want. Do you want actual history or NRA revisionist history? Please choose and I will try to answer.

Why? Because you consider it extreme then I must be joking?

AK-47's for everyone

Assault Rifle ban.

Your turn.

Thanks! However, those seem to be semi-automatics (one pull of the trigger = one bullet). I'm looking for assault rifles with burst and automatic fire.

And holy shnikes they're expensive!

Again just my .02.
Well that depends on what history you want. Do you want actual history or NRA revisionist history? Please choose and I will try to answer.
Can we have both? That way I can compare and see which one I like better. TIA!

No, because I would prefer not to think that lowly of you, as I would be forced to if you were at all serious.

Again just my .02.
Can we have both? That way I can compare and see which one I like better. TIA!
You've just revealed your method on a whole variety of topics.

No, because I would prefer not to think that lowly of you, as I would be forced to if you were at all serious.
Your opinion of me is not one of my concerns

Your opinion of me is not one of my concerns
Given the fact that you want to require me by law to carry a gun, my opinion of you had BETTER be one of your concerns. :lmao:

Tim was kindly giving you the benefit of the doubt,

I never go to a mall and haven't for years. Online or individual stores like Kohls, Old Navy, etc if I need something. Same with movies. Not because of possible shootings but I hate malls and can't sit still for 2 hours in a movie theater, not to mention a few months later I can see the flick at home cheaper.

timschochet said:
DSP said:

It is. :fishing:

Ignoramus said:
Thunderlips said:
General Malaise said:
humpback said:
tommyGunZ said:
AK-47's for everyone
Would a pressure cooker due?

timschochet said:
These incidents seem to be happening with greater frequency- not sure that's statistically true, but it sure feels like it...
I just did a quick search on mall stabbing, and we've had quite a few of these this year as well. Guy stabbed on Black Friday. 2 stabbed in mall parking garage earlier that month... Doesn't seem you hear as much about those. Kitchen knives for everyone!

ClownCausedChaos2 said:
MaxThreshold said:
ClownCausedChaos2 said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
ClownCausedChaos2 said:
KCitons said:
General Malaise said:
humpback said:
tommyGunZ said:
AK-47's for everyone

Assault Rifle ban.

Your turn.

You should realize that automatic (and burst, basically anything that shoots multiple bullets with 1 trigger press) are already illegal to own unless you meet all of the qualifications to do so (one of which is getting your paperwork signed off on by the local sheriff or other person of similar authority). And in some states, they are always illegal for an individual to own. While I won't go so far as to say it is "very" difficult to own an assault rifle, the people that own them (barring criminals) have gone through a pretty thorough vetting process.

If you are going to argue about banning certain guns, you should know exactly what you are arguing about.

FWIW, I don't own a gun and am not necessarily a gun rights enthusiast, but I do think you should be able to own a gun. At the same time, I am in favor of sensible gun legislation. Some people just shouldn't be able to own guns. But I don't think having some gun legislation will lead to the gov't confiscating all the guns either.

Hyperbole on either side of this debate only hurts the debate, and does not help the case of the side employing it.

timschochet said:
These incidents seem to be happening with greater frequency- not sure that's statistically true, but it sure feels like it...
I just did a quick search on mall stabbing, and we've had quite a few of these this year yes well. Doesn't seem you hear as much about those.Kitchen knives for everyone!
I definitely believe the 24hour news cycle, plus the country's insatiable appetite for all things gun related, particularly shootings, has pushed these stories national in far greater proportions than ever before. Plus every time a gun is discharged these days, it is a "mall shooting", instead of a "domestic dispute involving a gun in a public place". I blame the media, but even more than them, I blame the dumb herds of people who get glued to their TVs to find out every bit of info, right or wrong, immediately upon a gun shooting taking place.

Just to be clear, I'm all for background checks for all gun owners. I'm also for making every gun owner step forward and register their gun by a certain date. Any person found to have a firearm after that date should be subject to a severe penalty. (including the loss of firearm). Gun ownership shouldn't be any different than owning an automobile. I need a license, a registration, and training in order to own/use an car in every state.

By the same token, the laws don't penalize nearly enough, a person that commits a crime while driving a car. Specifically drinking and driving. (Just look at the 180 days that Josh Brent received this week)

I would be willing to make these concessions, if the same law protected me from future seizure by the government. This is what a lot of pro gun people are concerned about. That the government will create a database of gun owners to use for mass disarming later.

I would also caution those that are concerned that semi automatic (assault) rifles are the root of this problem. It's been decades since Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy. He did so with a bolt action rifle and he was able to fire 3 rounds in a matter of seconds. One of Texas' worst mass murderers was Charles Whitman. He never used an assault rifle, but was able to shoot 15 people. The weapon doesn't matter. If there is a will, there is a way.

Ignoramus said:
Thunderlips said:
General Malaise said:
humpback said:
tommyGunZ said:
AK-47's for everyone
Don't you mean a bomb?

Ignoramus said:
Thunderlips said:
General Malaise said:
humpback said:
tommyGunZ said:
AK-47's for everyone
And don't you mean 'do'?

timschochet said:
I just did a quick search on mall stabbing, and we've had quite a few of these this year yes well. Doesn't seem you hear as much about those.Kitchen knives for everyone!
I definitely believe the 24hour news cycle, plus the country's insatiable appetite for all things gun related, particularly shootings, has pushed these stories national in far greater proportions than ever before. Plus every time a gun is discharged these days, it is a "mall shooting", instead of a "domestic dispute involving a gun in a public place". I blame the media, but even more than them, I blame the dumb herds of people who get glued to their TVs to find out every bit of info, right or wrong, immediately upon a gun shooting taking place.
The number of people killed in random mass shootings, while tragic to those individuals involved, is statistically insignificant in a nation of 310 million people. Far more people are killed by lightning strikes, it's probably about the same as people killed by dog attacks, less than 10% of those killed in bicycle accidents, about 1% of those killed in drownings, less than 10% of those killed by cars backing up, about 1% of pedestrians killed by cars, far less than 1% of those killed by binge drinking, etc. Those killed in mass shootings by unregistered guns is a fraction of that.

But because it touches a political hot button, the liberals (generally) jump all over it as if the world was coming to an end, and the conservatives (generally) rise to defend the status quo. Tempest in a teapot.

timschochet said:
The number of people killed in random mass shootings, while tragic to those individuals involved, is statistically insignificant in a nation of 310 million people. Far more people are killed by lightning strikes, it's probably about the same as people killed by dog attacks, less than 10% of those killed in bicycle accidents, about 1% of those killed in drownings, less than 10% of those killed by cars backing up, about 1% of pedestrians killed by cars, far less than 1% of those killed by binge drinking, etc. Those killed in mass shootings by unregistered guns is a fraction of that.

But because it touches a political hot button, the liberals (generally) jump all over it as if the world was coming to an end, and the conservatives (generally) rise to defend the status quo. Tempest in a teapot.
or cigarette smoking.

Ignoramus said:
Thunderlips said:
General Malaise said:
humpback said:
tommyGunZ said:
AK-47's for everyone
Don't you mean a bomb?
Same thing. The point is you can use common items to make weapons capable of mass killings.

Users who are viewing this thread