What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

State Foods (1 Viewer)

I used to go to a very well known deli in NE Philly as a kid which is sadly now gone. I used to get the most un-kosher thing possible. It was called a Texas Tommy which consisted of a Hebrew National hot dog stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. Pretty sure they used it for profiling gentiles like me. :lol:

See, this is kinda sorta like shuke being a black ice skeptic….only….GM is simply a corn dog skeptic.

I am dubious that they're are different levels of corndogs and I am right certain Minnesota doesn't have some proprietary recipe that makes their's the best.

You said you like fresh lake perch? Big deal, I can get frozen fish at Costco.

See how that's that same? Oh, it's not?

You're right. I forgot how much better fresh caught hotdogs taste than the frozen ones from Costco.
If you think there's no difference between a Hebrew National hotdog and an Oscar Mayer dog you're not living in flavortown.

Are the Hebrews making the hotdogs fresh right there at the Minn state fair before they get breaded in this magical batter and served right away?
Okay, you go right on living thinking that Bud Light is the same as a Bell's Two Hearted because they're both beer...

I used to go to a very well known deli in NE Philly as a kid which is sadly now gone. I used to get the most un-kosher thing possible. It was called a Texas Tommy which consisted of a Hebrew National hot dog stuffed with cheese and wrapped in bacon. Pretty sure they used it for profiling gentiles like me. :lol:
Yocco's is easily the best hotdog in Eastern PA.

See, this is kinda sorta like shuke being a black ice skeptic….only….GM is simply a corn dog skeptic.

I am dubious that they're are different levels of corndogs and I am right certain Minnesota doesn't have some proprietary recipe that makes their's the best.

You're right. I forgot how much better fresh caught hotdogs taste than the frozen ones from Costco.
If you think there's no difference between a Hebrew National hotdog and an Oscar Mayer dog you're not living in flavortown.

Are the Hebrews making the hotdogs fresh right there at the Minn state fair before they get breaded in this magical batter and served right away?
Okay, you go right on living thinking that Bud Light is the same as a Bell's Two Hearted because they're both beer...

Is there a better beer can in the world than Bell's Two Hearted? I say nay!

Disneyland also has excellent corn dogs. Not anywhere in the same league as Costco frozen. Costco frozen is soggy, mushy at best, The ones I've had in Disneyland are crispy and light.

Is there a better beer can in the world than Bell's Two Hearted? I say nay!
Hey we agree on something!

I also think it's one of the best beers in the world... way better than Bud Light. Which, similarly, is like how a pronto pup is better than a gas station corn dog.

Virginia definitely has oysters. And so does the rest of the coastal US. But maybe 1/20th of Virginia is near the coast or oyster carrying rivers. It should really be Virginia peanuts and Smithfield ham. Cured Smithfield ham and Boiled peanuts specifically.

Since there seems to be a profound interest here in them, a brief history of wieners:

While fried catfish is a popular dish throughout the South, Iowans are also fond of the dish.
:lmao:
The Iowa football team approves, because this was a punt. Should be pork something. I'm guessing since they went with pork for Indiana they didn't think they could go back-to-back with Iowa.

Iowa by far produces the most pork. Approx. 2.5x the next closest state.

ETA: I've never been, but I know Iowans are pretty proud of their state fair. I bet they have great corn dogs.

Last edited:
Are we really pretending that foods that are freshly fried aren't significantly better than the same thing fried (maybe, maybe baked) in a uniform shape so they can be frozen and packaged and stored for months and then they're reheated?

Are we really pretending that foods that are freshly fried aren't significantly better than the same thing fried (maybe, maybe baked) in a uniform shape so they can be frozen and packaged and stored for months and then they're reheated?

I just think when it comes to a breaded hot dog there's really only so much magic that can happen.

I am ok with Krispy Kreme donuts for NC though.
As a North Carolina native, picking Krispy Kreme is pretty disappointing. It's a chain restaurant that just sells sugar covered flour.

Although I'm biased because I've never been a huge fan of Krispy Kreme. I was 18 when I had my first ever plain cake Dunkin' Donut. I like that so much more than Krispy Kreme (not much of a sweet tooth).

If they were going to go the chain restaurant route, they could have at least picked Bojangles.

But I personally would have gone with livermush/liver pudding.

It suffers from the same East/West divide as the BBQ, but it's the most quintessentially North Carolinian, IMO. (And I really think Western/Lexington BBQ isn't very good).

If they had picked barbecue for NC, it would have been, what, the fourth state to have BBQ picked? And I would put NC as the worst of all those by quite a bit.

For South Carolina, Shrimp and Grits is good. I might make a case for Low Country Boil.
She crab soup, barbecue hash, and pimento cheese other honorable mentions.
Shrimp and grits is a great choice for SC. My second thought was She Crab Soup as well. I would add Boiled Peanuts as an honorable mention as well, although that's not a "dish".

I am ok with Krispy Kreme donuts for NC though.
As a North Carolina native, picking Krispy Kreme is pretty disappointing. It's a chain restaurant that just sells sugar covered flour.
Krispy Kreme is a cop out for NC, but man they are good.

OK, Iowa people: Just heard of this sandwich, and want to know if it is really a 'thing'.

The Iowa skinny

Seems to be a pork tenderloin pounded flat and breaded/fried.

While fried catfish is a popular dish throughout the South, Iowans are also fond of the dish.
The Iowa football team approves, because this was a punt. Should be pork something. I'm guessing since they went with pork for Indiana they didn't think they could go back-to-back with Iowa.

ETA: I've never been, but I know Iowans are pretty proud of their state fair. I bet they have great corn dogs.
If I am to believe my colleagues in Iowa, the "go to" at the state fair is fried butter on a stick.

If I am to believe my colleagues in Iowa, the "go to" at the state fair is fried butter on a stick.
Deep fried everything.

I would think the loose meat sandwich would have gone to Iowa before Kansas, I've only had them in Iowa. Maid-Rite is solid.

For Kansas, assuming we give BBQ to the Misery side of State Line, I'd go with Chili and Cinnamon Rolls.

Let’s meet here on a Wednesday after a around at Pier.

Freshly caught butter?

I'd love that. I haven't played in over a month. Not good. Need to shake some rust off.....

Looking at all those pictures, the corn dog is probably the very last thing on that menu I would order.

Looking at all those pictures, the corn dog is probably the very last thing on that menu I would order.

Because they aren't raised in Minnesota?

Because they aren't raised in Minnesota?
A really good corn dog, even one bred and raised in Minnesota is still way lower on the tier list of indulgent foods than just about any burger sandwich burrito or taco.

As a NYer I figured the choice would be either pizza or bagels

For NJ, I have never heard of disco fries. I thought it would be Taylor Ham and Egg sandwich

OK, Iowa people: Just heard of this sandwich, and want to know if it is really a 'thing'.

The Iowa skinny

Isn't this every pork tenderloin sandwich in the midwest?
Supposedly "invented" here, about 15 miles from my house. I'm embarrased to say I've not had one from them but plan to rectify this soon :porked:

You need to get there. Amazing "bar food" and cocktails. hidden gem up on the north side.

Deep fried everything.

I would think the loose meat sandwich would have gone to Iowa before Kansas, I've only had them in Iowa. Maid-Rite is solid.

For Kansas, assuming we give BBQ to the Misery side of State Line, I'd go with Chili and Cinnamon Rolls.
Does the chili go ON the cinnamon rolls or what?

Deep fried everything.

Does the chili go ON the cinnamon rolls or what?
It is like grilled cheese and tomato soup - there are different styles. I prefer dipping.

The Iowa skinny

Never heard it called an Iowa Skinny (Been in Iowa my whole life), but yes you can get them anywhere. Most of the places I have been just call it a tenderloin sandwich.

You can even Follow the tenderloin trail

Here are the results for the best Tenderloin last year The restaurant in my town took 2nd.

The Iowa skinny

Never heard it called an Iowa Skinny (Been in Iowa my whole life), but yes you can get them anywhere. Most of the places I have been just call it a tenderloin sandwich.

Here are the results for the best Tenderloin last year The restaurant in my town took 2nd.
That is what the TV show 'Cooks Country' calls it. I had a feeling they were just making stuff up.

The Iowa skinny

You ever read the book "Adventures of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson? It's a memoir of his time growing up in Iowa in the 50s/60s and it's really good. Felt like I was in Iowa while reading it. Happy to send it to you (or anybody). Funny as hell, talks about the State Fair a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread