What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

State Foods (1 Viewer)

I feel sorry for Minnesota....corn dogs.
Who doesn't like corn dogs??

They're fine. You get them out a frozen box, tho. Nothing a state needs to celebrate as an accomplishment. I can fill up my car with gas, pay inside and get a corndog. That's not anything a state should champion as their own.

Dude, there is a difference between grocery frozen corn dogs and Minnesota state fair hand dipped freshly fried, I assume.

Oh, good lord. It's a hot dog with some sort of breading and a stick. What are they using in Minnesota, Waygu beef dipped in cocaine? Cmon....

C
Cin-tucky lays claim to that abomination thing they call 'chili,' but there are only 2 locations still selling that dredge within 2 hours of me and I live in the most heavily populated metro area of the state.

Which says something about the food where you live.

Also, it's not chili, we just call it that to piss off people like you.
:lmao:

Cleveland is a top 10 food town

Yet nothing good enough to claim fame.

Hmmm

Cleveland Sucks

Shuke is right, need some sort of Corn Dog themed eat off to settle this

This is asinine. How much better can a corndog be? Can you go to a butcher and order Select or Choice?
It’s the batter chief

They have superlative batter in Minnesota that the rest of the country hasn't quite figured out? That's your argument?

Perfectly deep frying a corn dog is an art

Does Hog Dog On A Stick still exist? I remember they opened one at the local mall food court back in college. They had to wear these ridiculous outfits (like what you’d see on some tv show with a fake ****ty mall restaurant job) and had to hand mix lemonade in a 5 gallon bucket
While they did have pretty good corn dogs and deep fried cheese and lemonade I’m not sure you could have paid me enough to work somewhere like that

This is asinine. How much better can a corndog be? Can you go to a butcher and order Select or Choice?
It’s the batter chief

They have superlative batter in Minnesota that the rest of the country hasn't quite figured out? That's your argument?

Perfectly deep frying a corn dog is an art

And this is only accomplished at a state fair in Minnesota?

It’s the batter chief

You realize every single food on this list could actually be made in each and every one of the 50 states, right?

See, this is kinda sorta like shuke being a black ice skeptic….only….GM is simply a corn dog skeptic.

I am dubious that they're are different levels of corndogs and I am right certain Minnesota doesn't have some proprietary recipe that makes their's the best.

It’s the batter chief

You realize every single food on this list could actually be made in each and every one of the 50 states, right?
You're getting fresh clams from Nebraska? Interesting.

See, this is kinda sorta like shuke being a black ice skeptic….only….GM is simply a corn dog skeptic.

I am dubious that they're are different levels of corndogs and I am right certain Minnesota doesn't have some proprietary recipe that makes their's the best.
So you’re a Minnesota corn dog skeptic. Hhmmm….

I haven't had one since 2016 but I think I might roll into Chevron tomorrow morning and buy 7 of them.

I haven't had one since 2016 but I think I might roll into Chevron tomorrow morning and buy 7 of them.
If you do indeed go that route, I’d suggest heavy mustard….definitely no ketchup.

If you do indeed go that route, I’d suggest heavy mustard….definitely no ketchup.

Ketchup? What am I, 3? What kind of derelict uses ketchup on a corndog?

Ketchup? What am I, 3? What kind of derelict uses ketchup on a corndog?
Shuke?

i feel like all of these lists just have to say cheese something for wisco but i would say friday night fish fries are really the biggest thing up here take that to the bank brochachos
Or supper clubs, but that's not really a food. I guess you could say supper club prime rib.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
I feel sorry for Minnesota....corn dogs.
Who doesn't like corn dogs??

They're fine. You get them out a frozen box, tho. Nothing a state needs to celebrate as an accomplishment. I can fill up my car with gas, pay inside and get a corndog. That's not anything a state should champion as their own.

Dude, there is a difference between grocery frozen corn dogs and Minnesota state fair hand dipped freshly fried, I assume.
Not really

If you're going to the MN State Fair it's to get Sweet Martha's chocolate chip cookies... And to see Ratt/Warrant/Stryper at the Grandstand.

Grew up in NJ, wife grew up in MI, both of us scratching our heads at their choices.
Never heard of disco fries, though I've had poutine plenty of times in Canada, and it sounds pretty similar.

It’s the batter chief

You can have this same exchange with pizza, hamburgers, etc.

Quality of the hot dog, plus quality of the batter, plus made fresh makes a significant difference.

It’s the batter chief

knowing what i know about minnesota i assume that the batter is incredibly boring and tasteless and the only way to make it better is to slowly drive over to wisconsin and under the speed limit in the passing lane ya shure ya betcha to get some spices or something good to put on it take that to the bank brohans

It’s the batter chief

knowing what i know about minnesota i assume that the batter is incredibly boring and tasteless and the only way to make it better is to slowly drive over to wisconsin and under the speed limit in the passing lane ya shure ya betcha to get some spices or something good to put on it take that to the bank brohans
I'm with you that Minnesota food is generally boring,* but Wisconsin drivers are waaaaay more guilty of the bold (though MN drivers do it, too).

*For like the third time I would have nominated tater tot hot dish. But, I will say that the ethnic food options in the cities have really gotten good the last couple of decades.

It’s the batter chief

I'm with you that Minnesota food is generally boring,* but Wisconsin drivers are waaaaay more guilty of the bold (though MN drivers do it, too).

*For like the third time I would have nominated tater tot hot dish. But, I will say that the ethnic food options in the cities have really gotten good the last couple of decades.
zow you always say that wisconsin drivers are slow but i have no idea what you are talking about around milwaukee it is a damned race course and in a 55 if you arent doing 70 you are getting walked like a dog its like that all the way up north too maybe you get the 90 year old snowbirds down there in az but honestly no idea what you are talking about here in state its like chicago drivers influence on wisconsin drivers won and it sucks take that to the bank brohan

It’s the batter chief

zow you always say that wisconsin drivers are slow but i have no idea what you are talking about around milwaukee it is a damned race course and in a 55 if you arent doing 70 you are getting walked like a dog its like that all the way up north too maybe you get the 90 year old snowbirds down there in az but honestly no idea what you are talking about here in state its like chicago drivers influence on wisconsin drivers won and it sucks take that to the bank brohan
My experience is more in the western, central, northern part of Wisconsin. Which, I guess, can be described as Minnesota's younger sibling. I agree they aren't so bad around Milwaukee.

PA is definitely one of those states where location matters. It’s such a wide state with basically Pittsburgh and Philly on the sides and not a whole lot in the middle. So cheesesteak wins because Philly is the much larger city

Yeah, It's not even easy for me to find a decent slice of pizza in my area of NY state.

Yeah, It's not even easy for me to find a decent slice of pizza in my area of NY state.
How's about a Garbage Plate? I've never had one but have heard about them all my life. More better choice than pizza for NY or no?

Very on point for this thread, I enjoyed the heck out of this video:

ETA: It's a high-end chef who makes (seemingly really well) the best food from each state and they then tier them and crown a champion. A lot of the foods are the same as in the list in the OP.

Big fan of everything Josh does. This was a great video.

How's about a Garbage Plate? I've never had one but have heard about them all my life. More better choice than pizza for NY or no?
Pizza is the obvious choice, along with bagels and other NYC things (although in my experience bagels are better in NJ).
But the different regions of the state do have some things you don't find often in other places or just where the food was "invented" like a lot of listings in that article.
Garbage plate in Rochester (I've only had a couple times, but can be pretty darn good if you're in the mood), spiedies in Binghamton, Utica tomato pie (not my favorite version of pizza), white hots (kind of hot dog) also in Rochester, salt potatoes in Syracuse, original Buffalo wings, etc.

You said you like fresh lake perch? Big deal, I can get frozen fish at Costco.

See how that's that same? Oh, it's not?

I think you fellas have gotten away from the intent of the original article. Allow me to remind you:

The most famous local dish from every state.​

• Every state has its own iconic dish, whether it was invented or popularized there.

Not the best prepared. Not the most delicious.

Okay so PA is absolutely the cheesesteak.

BUT:
1. Nobody there calls it a "Philly cheesesteak."
2. Nobody puts ****ing peppers on it. Or mayo or hot sauce for that matter. It's cheese (Wiz, provolone, or sharp American), fried onions, and maybe a long hot or ketchup. But that's it.
Sometimes I get a cheesesteak in the garden. I’m in Pa. Everywhere I’ve ever seen cheesesteaks garden is an option 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh yea, those freshly made hot dogs must be the key :rolleyes:

You're right. I forgot how much better fresh caught hotdogs taste than the frozen ones from Costco.

You're right. I forgot how much better fresh caught hotdogs taste than the frozen ones from Costco.
If you think there's no difference between a Hebrew National hotdog and an Oscar Mayer dog you're not living in flavortown.

If you think there's no difference between a Hebrew National hotdog and an Oscar Mayer dog you're not living in flavortown.

Are the Hebrews making the hotdogs fresh right there at the Minn state fair before they get breaded in this magical batter and served right away?

Users who are viewing this thread