What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stevan Ridley (1 Viewer)

I'm a big Patriots fan and follow all there games and the articles on them but even as such I think some of you guys are hyping Ridley up a little too much. As much as I would love for Ridley to become the stud RB the Pats haven't had for years, I don't think this is the year it happens. At their core the Pats are still a passing offense and they just have too many RBs right now. To think that BJE will now be relegated to the bench is ridiculous at this point. Even if Ridley gets 15 carries a game going forward (probably best case scenario), then you are just going to see a lot of stat lines of 15-60, 15-70, 15-75, 15-80. Maybe those are worth going nuts about but even those are optimistic. BB likes BJE because he doesn't fumble and moves forward so he will continue to get carries. Woodhead will also continue to be used to sneak in 5 carries a game. It is great that everyone is looking for the next big thing or WW stud because that can help save seasons and is what fantasy football is about but I think the few here who seem to be busting nuts over Ridley are a little premature. The Patriots use the run game as a complement to the pass game not the other way around and his touchdown totals will be limited because of the RB competition and also the Patriots still throw in the red zone. He may be very talented and maybe BB finally hit on a RB in the draft but at this point there are just too many mouths to feed in the Patriots offense, especially with Aaron Hernandez coming back soon.
Missed picking him up, eh? No one is believing Ridley is going to take over and get all the carries at this point. The fact is he has shown above average running ability with his chances, and has steadily increased those chances week after week. Right now, he is a lottery ticket to everyone that picked him up. He is a RB from the waiver wire that should start seeing 10+ touches per game with the potential for much more. No harm in hoping he blows up. If he does, he might save a season. If he doesn't, you got him from the waiver wire. Right now, he is a RB3, that's pretty good for someone who wasn't even drafted...

I'm asking because I don't know. Has Ridley even fumbled once this year, or in the preseason? I keep seeing the reason the Pats will stick with BJGE is is sure hands, but what about Ridley? Does he put the ball on the ground?

I'm a big Patriots fan and follow all there games and the articles on them but even as such I think some of you guys are hyping Ridley up a little too much. As much as I would love for Ridley to become the stud RB the Pats haven't had for years, I don't think this is the year it happens. At their core the Pats are still a passing offense and they just have too many RBs right now. To think that BJE will now be relegated to the bench is ridiculous at this point. Even if Ridley gets 15 carries a game going forward (probably best case scenario), then you are just going to see a lot of stat lines of 15-60, 15-70, 15-75, 15-80. Maybe those are worth going nuts about but even those are optimistic. BB likes BJE because he doesn't fumble and moves forward so he will continue to get carries. Woodhead will also continue to be used to sneak in 5 carries a game. It is great that everyone is looking for the next big thing or WW stud because that can help save seasons and is what fantasy football is about but I think the few here who seem to be busting nuts over Ridley are a little premature. The Patriots use the run game as a complement to the pass game not the other way around and his touchdown totals will be limited because of the RB competition and also the Patriots still throw in the red zone. He may be very talented and maybe BB finally hit on a RB in the draft but at this point there are just too many mouths to feed in the Patriots offense, especially with Aaron Hernandez coming back soon.
Missed picking him up, eh? No one is believing Ridley is going to take over and get all the carries at this point. The fact is he has shown above average running ability with his chances, and has steadily increased those chances week after week. Right now, he is a lottery ticket to everyone that picked him up. He is a RB from the waiver wire that should start seeing 10+ touches per game with the potential for much more. No harm in hoping he blows up. If he does, he might save a season. If he doesn't, you got him from the waiver wire. Right now, he is a RB3, that's pretty good for someone who wasn't even drafted...
I'm thinking I agree with Elvis on this one. A lot of things would have to go right for Ridley to become startable in most redrafts (unless, of course, he can keep up that 9.7 yards per carry).

I'm asking because I don't know. Has Ridley even fumbled once this year, or in the preseason? I keep seeing the reason the Pats will stick with BJGE is is sure hands, but what about Ridley? Does he put the ball on the ground?
He had one fumble in the preseason, I think that's it

I'm thinking I agree with Elvis on this one. A lot of things would have to go right for Ridley to become startable in most redrafts (unless, of course, he can keep up that 9.7 yards per carry).
Really depends on what size league you're in. In 14 and 16 leagues I can assure you he is valuable, on potential alone. Most teams are RBBC these days, if Ridley can carve out half the pie in New England he becomes a lot more valuable than running backs drafted in the early rounds. Lots of under performers this year.Edit to add - In standard scoring leagues through 4 weeks, Ridley has scored more points than Ryan Grant, Deangelo Williams, Jamaal Charles(hurt) and Danny Woodhead. He is within 6 fantasy points of Mark Ingram, Reggie Bush, Marshawn Lynch, Steven Jackson, Shonn Greene, Arian Foster and Daniel Thomas. These guys were drafted significantly earlier than Ridley, in all leagues. In deep leagues, there isn't much to choose from on the wire. Ridley is one of the best prospects to show his face so far this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, he was drafted in the mid rounds rounds in my league and hasn't seen the waiver wire since.I understand the potential is there but I think people's expectations tend to get out of hand when they pick someone up. I play in a 14 team league with large rosters so he has good value in that league as a RB3 and has breakout potential but just from reading this thread there seem to be some people with the belief that they have just stuck gold and found the next stud RB. He has been on the radar for a lot of people since being drafted and having a good preseason. My thoughts are that people are getting a little ahead of themselves. If you think of him as a good stash as a RB3 with potential, I think you are on point but to expect anything more at this point than production along the lines of 15-75 is a bit out of whack. Could the Patriots shift philosophy considerably and begin to hand the ball off to him 20-25 times a game? Maybe but not likely. I would put myself in Yudkins camp on this one. He has potential but at this point in time it looks like there are just too many mouths to feed in the Pats offense. Ridley looked great against the Raiders but there are still questions. Does BJE just become irrelevant? How much does BB trust Ridley in pass blocking? Does he use him on 3rd downs etc? If you picked him off the WW this week, good for you and I hope he works outs not just because of fantasy but because I want my Patriots to have the RB we have been missing since Dillon.

15 touches per game in the Pats offense with some GL love stolen from LawFirm and potentially sprinkled in, gives the Riddler plenty of value from where I'm sitting.

If he can get to that point, which he hasn't yet.

The Boston Herald confirms RB Danny Woodhead "escaped major damage" to the left ankle that forced him from last week's game.

Woodhead does have a sprain, but there are no broken bones or torn ligaments. There's no set timetable for his return because trainers want to see how it reacts to treatment first. For now, he's considered week-to-week. It's bad timing for Woodhead, who was already beginning to lose snaps to Stevan Ridley.

Bump Ridley

Drafted him in the 4th round (Dynasty), I saw enough in the preseason to put him on my bigboard. :football:

Nabbed him in round 3 of 5/11 dynasties before any preseason games were played. Even traded C McCoy for the 3.6/3.8 picks from a guy who drafted Vereen but like most, didn't feel Ridley was a worthy HC pick. Lets go Riddler!!

Dynasty drafts are a whole different animal. He should have been rostered in all dynasty leagues prior to week 1 of the season. Deep league redrafts or keeper leagues it would have been hit or miss if he was drafted, but if you got him in one of those leagues congrats.

I'm a big Patriots fan and follow all there games and the articles on them but even as such I think some of you guys are hyping Ridley up a little too much. As much as I would love for Ridley to become the stud RB the Pats haven't had for years, I don't think this is the year it happens. At their core the Pats are still a passing offense and they just have too many RBs right now. To think that BJE will now be relegated to the bench is ridiculous at this point. Even if Ridley gets 15 carries a game going forward (probably best case scenario), then you are just going to see a lot of stat lines of 15-60, 15-70, 15-75, 15-80. Maybe those are worth going nuts about but even those are optimistic. BB likes BJE because he doesn't fumble and moves forward so he will continue to get carries. Woodhead will also continue to be used to sneak in 5 carries a game.

It is great that everyone is looking for the next big thing or WW stud because that can help save seasons and is what fantasy football is about but I think the few here who seem to be busting nuts over Ridley are a little premature. The Patriots use the run game as a complement to the pass game not the other way around and his touchdown totals will be limited because of the RB competition and also the Patriots still throw in the red zone. He may be very talented and maybe BB finally hit on a RB in the draft but at this point there are just too many mouths to feed in the Patriots offense, especially with Aaron Hernandez coming back soon.
See, that's what I hate about bandwagon threads. Rational points are dismissed by snide assumptions about the poster's roster. For the record, I did pick up Ridley a while ago, and I agree with many of Elvis' points above - Ridley probably won't break through this year and be startable on my FF roster. But I still own him because there's a chance I could be wrong. If I thought there was, say, a 30% chance that Ridley could be the next BJGE and put up RB2 numbers down the stretch, but that was better odds than anyone else on my waiver wire, then I would still pick Ridley up, even though I doubted anything would come of it. I'd hold him until someone with better odds came along.

Apparently the believers are out there. In my non-ppr keeper I got an offer for Ridley, Newton & J. Jones for his Freeman, ADP & Lloyd.

As much as I would love to have ADP, and need him IMO, I think keeping Newton may be the better move here. :unsure:

It is great that everyone is looking for the next big thing or WW stud because that can help save seasons and is what fantasy football is about but I think the few here who seem to be busting nuts over Ridley are a little premature. The Patriots use the run game as a complement to the pass game not the other way around and his touchdown totals will be limited because of the RB competition and also the Patriots still throw in the red zone. He may be very talented and maybe BB finally hit on a RB in the draft but at this point there are just too many mouths to feed in the Patriots offense, especially with Aaron Hernandez coming back soon.
I never bust my nuts prematurelyRidley's arrived, Believe It Or Not!

Very very interesting week IMO given that:

1) Welker may finally be held to a human stat line of like 10 for 150 given the Jets Pass D.

2) Sounds like decent chance that Woodhead wont play.

3) No love lost between NE and NYJ.

Big days coming for Ridley and GRONK. :popcorn:

Nabbed him in the 15th round of a 16-team keeper league. If he is splitting time, he's still outperforming my other starters at RB. Very valuable from my perspective.. even more so if he does get a majority of touches, as next year he would count as a 13th round for me.... good money for that position.

I drafted Ridley this year in a redraft and started him this past week, week 4. Saw it coming and was thin at running back and had injury concerns to another running back. I'm benching him this next week though as I have even better options now for week 5.

maybe it's already been mentioned somewhere in these 6 pages, but I believe ridley and benny had pretty comparable snaps in the second half of that game, and it's still early in the year.

When is Shane Vereen coming back?
I have Ridley in both my FF $$$ leagues, but people have short memory. Shane Vereen just can't be forgotten. Speed, agility, vision, pass protection. The latter is what sets him apart from other smaller runningbacks like himself. he just started late and is catching up, so it will take time before he is comfortable with terminology and protection schemes, but you combine that with his skill set and you start to understand why he was the 2nd runningback taken in this draft. :unsure:

That's what I'm saying Vereen > Ridley but after Ridley's great last week, people are dismissing Vereen like he's Ben Tate.
I gotta go with results here until it is proven otherwise on the field during a real game.Vereen may have shown more as a draft candidate, and he may have been picked earlier.

But how many RBs are drafted into the NFL each year, compared to the number that turn into viable FF starters?

Only time will tell how it shakes out, but if Ridley is on my waiver wire there's no way I'm leaving him there just because Vereen might be better.

I have Ridley in both my FF $$ leagues, but people have short memory. Shane Vereen just can't be forgotten. Speed, agility, vision, pass protection. The latter is what sets him apart from other smaller runningbacks like himself. he just started late and is catching up, so it will take time before he is comfortable with terminology and protection schemes, but you combine that with his skill set and you start to understand why he was the 2nd runningback taken in this draft. :unsure:
Don't be a hater. ;)On a serious note, sometimes it takes opportunity. Vereen was injured and Ridley stepped up. Happens all the time in the NFL. From BB's perspective, you run with the hot hand and I would think Ridley has it at the moment. Now if he fails to produce, then I think we'll see some more Vereen, but at this point, my guess is BJGE and Ridley are the primary backs for the next 4 weeks IMO.

I have Ridley in both my FF $$$ leagues, but people have short memory. Shane Vereen just can't be forgotten. Speed, agility, vision, pass protection. The latter is what sets him apart from other smaller runningbacks like himself. he just started late and is catching up, so it will take time before he is comfortable with terminology and protection schemes, but you combine that with his skill set and you start to understand why he was the 2nd runningback taken in this draft. :unsure:
now help me understand why maroney went in the first round.

If Woodhead (missed practice yesterday) doesn't play Ridley is going to get a shot at picking up those snaps and is looking like a good 1-2 week play. What he does with those snaps will dictate his value going forward.

Giddyup!

If Woodhead is out this week, it would be nice to see Vereen get a few carries to see what he can do. I'm guessing if the game is close this won't happen, but if NE blows out the Jets, we may see what both guys can do this weekend.

Bump... any new thoughts/news? Considering starting him over Benson/Wayne. Considering going Benson as I think I have the better team than my opponent and would rather have a lock for 10 or so points than run the risk of Ridley posting a goose egg.

If Woodhead is out this week, it would be nice to see Vereen get a few carries to see what he can do. I'm guessing if the game is close this won't happen, but if NE blows out the Jets, we may see what both guys can do this weekend.
I think it is a good bet that Vereen makes his debut this week with Woodhead being out.

I never bust my nuts prematurelyRidley's arrived, Believe It Or Not!
Besides for that one time you were about to get with April :excited:

What's with all the hype after one week? on a BB's NE team no less! This dude is nothing more than a very poor man's DWill (RB with ball hog as a QB, while other players and another RB gets all the goal line look), except Ridley isn't even a starter while the true starter is doing quite well and a very consistent PROVEN player... after MANY games.

What's with all the hype after one week? on a BB's NE team no less! This dude is nothing more than a very poor man's DWill (RB with ball hog as a QB, while other players and another RB gets all the goal line look), except Ridley isn't even a starter while the true starter is doing quite well and a very consistent PROVEN player... after MANY games.
Because fantasy football is a very competitive pastime and if yuou think you have the luxury of waiting for three or four big weeks, you will be sh**out of luck. Or if you wait till he's named starter. So sit around and wait for these young players to be a proven commodity and watch them rack up points for your opponents.

What a terrible comparison. Your frustration is reflected in your writing ... I suspect you own BJGE.

The problem I see with Ridley is his schedule ... The next 5 weeks are rough

NYJ

Dal

Bye

@ PIT

NYG

@ NYJ

With Woodhead doubtful, I'm starting Ridley against the 27th ranked rush D this week as a flex over AJ Green and Tolbert.

While BJGE is not going away this year, he is in a contract year so I'm sure the Pat's brass want to take a real good luck at their options at RB for 2012. We are just scraping the surface of Ridley's value at the moment.

With Woodhead doubtful, I'm starting Ridley against the 27th ranked rush D this week as a flex over AJ Green and Tolbert.While BJGE is not going away this year, he is in a contract year so I'm sure the Pat's brass want to take a real good luck at their options at RB for 2012. We are just scraping the surface of Ridley's value at the moment.
I'm also starting Ridley over Tolbert, non-ppr, but I am not exactly confident in this decision.

Users who are viewing this thread