What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

STRATEGY : When is it ok to tell your friends about FBG.com? (1 Viewer)

zachass

Footballguy
Seriously, a couple of my friends are mad I won't tell them where I get my info from. They questioned some of my picks in our friendly draft and now are worried that since our money draft is coming up this weekend I'm going to have more info than them again.

So clearly I won't tell them before the draft but should I be "a good friend" and promote the site after? Or should I be selfish and keep it my little secret???

After you have retired from the league.

Seriously, for ANYONE remotely inclined to look they will find good information. I would not be inclined to spoon feed someone too lazy to look.

Yes, this is one of the better sites. But if you are making multiple moves that surprise anyone then that person really doesn't follow FF like you do. Period.

I told all of them. Why not, i like competitive league. It's really all about what you do with the info that makes you really good at ffb.

I believe everyone in our league now uses footballguys.

I have found it handy to look at the dynasty rankings and make deals when the guy I am trading away is ranked higher. I have also started posting threads here that talk up certain players or I make positive comments about guys I know they are researching in a trade offer.

It has worked like a charm several times.......

Make the fact that you know what they use as the bible their weakness.

In the end we all have to make our own decisions - I tend to veer away from that the overall rankings and make my own opinions. Also some of the "experts" in the rankings I don't agree with at all - so I always remove them.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe everyone in our league now uses footballguys. I have found it handy to look at the dynasty rankings and make deals when the guy I am trading away is ranked higher. I have also started posting threads here that talk up certain players or I make positive comments about guys I know they are researching in a trade offer. It has worked like a charm several times.......Make the fact that you know what they use as the bible their weakness. In the end we all have to make our own decisions - I tend to veer away from that the overall rankings and make my own opinions. Also some of the "experts" in the rankings I don't agree with at all - so I always remove them.Just my two cents.
Agreed. Half of my leagues used to use FBGs, until we sort of made it a mandatory resource, and now the entire league uses it. We do snail drafts in my league and we got sick of people forgetting that they didn't have a pick this round because they forfeited it for a keeper, or they traded it away, so we pretty much made it mandatory for everyone to at least get the free version of the Draft Dominator. I don't know if everyone's gotten a subscription or not, but I think at least 80-90% have, and I know for a fact that at least 3 of them read the Shark Pool (and I'm pretty sure they know who I am). We even talk trash during the draft by saying "do you let FBGs tie your shoes, too?" and such whenever someone takes the player the Draft Dominator is currently recommending.Does it bother me? Not really. It gives us an objective source to go to when evaluating trades, which cuts down on the stupid trades that wind up ruining the competitive balance of the league (although we still get some of those from time to time). It's also a big advantage to know where the other guys are getting their resources. For instance, if I'm targeting a guy in the draft, it's nice to know if his name even shows up under the top 10 names being displayed in the draft dominator, or whether I can let him slide for a round or two and grab him later. Also, the projections in the Dominator don't include return yardage, but two of my leagues reward punt return yards the same as receiving yards, which is a big advantage- while the DD is telling everyone that Devin Hester is a WR3, Reggie Bush isn't a fantasy starter, and Steve Breaston is depth at best, I swoop in and get them several rounds after where they SHOULD be going.Plus, it's so much more satisfying to win a league where you know you earned it.

I told all of them. Why not, i like competitive league. It's really all about what you do with the info that makes you really good at ffb.
The information you have at your fingertips only matters if you do something good with it.In my opinion, there are many that log onto this and other websites (which will not be named here) who will completely ignore the evidence you put in front of them and believe what they want to believe.I personally think that this type of Fantasy player has a limited upside regardless of what you put in front of them.also, there are many who know where the info is, but do not know how to use it. (or are too lazy to go out and get it)so by giving this website out, you are probably only actually helping 2 or 3 people in your league.

I use the Shark Pool. Here is where you can find some of the best info around.

You have many different takes on FF here. You have stat geeks, guys who understand how to watch and evaluate talent, guys who understand both how to evaluate talent and match that with team situations and opportunities.

I also love the Shark Pool because you get takes on teams by guys are are local to that area. That can sometimes be invaluable information.

You also get some really bad information as well. And knowing what is good constructive info and BS is another art in the modern day FF arena. I mean ADP's are made on message boards today. It is the friggin stock market. LOL.

Crap I have been playing this game since 1990. I remember no internet, Monday night football highlights, and limited information. I will put up old fashion talent evaluation against any spread sheet any day of the week.

Today in FF it is info overload.

As far as telling my friends.......never...let them do their own research and find a community as good as this one. Eventually they will find their way here. Then let them weed through the jungle.

:D I tell all my friends and league mates this is the best stop on the internet.DD is not a magic potion, you still have to make your own decisions.

I am surprised that FBG doesn't appear on page one for google search of "Fantasy Football Projections" or "Fantasy Football Cheatsheets (or cheat sheets)"

There are 2 other guys in my office league that use FBG.

Only, they're too cheap to pay for subscription (updated projections) and too lazy to read the shark pool.... so I beat them year in and year out.

Had another owner tell me about FFGs about 6 years ago.

I've made the playoffs six years running

I'm not telling anyone

They don't seem to be telling me about it, so why should I tell them?!?!?!?

I do know a few of my co-workers are members...in my work league, it actually helps me to know that they use the site, so I can predict who they are going to pick better!

I use the Shark Pool. Here is where you can find some of the best info around.You have many different takes on FF here. You have stat geeks, guys who understand how to watch and evaluate talent, guys who understand both how to evaluate talent and match that with team situations and opportunities.I also love the Shark Pool because you get takes on teams by guys are are local to that area. That can sometimes be invaluable information.You also get some really bad information as well. And knowing what is good constructive info and BS is another art in the modern day FF arena. I mean ADP's are made on message boards today. It is the friggin stock market. LOL.Crap I have been playing this game since 1990. I remember no internet, Monday night football highlights, and limited information. I will put up old fashion talent evaluation against any spread sheet any day of the week.Today in FF it is info overload. As far as telling my friends.......never...let them do their own research and find a community as good as this one. Eventually they will find their way here. Then let them weed through the jungle.
The reasons you list are why I have no issue with telling people in other league or co-workers about FBG---if they ask. While they can get a good application like DD, VBD or quality rankings, they still have no significant feel if the information is good or the bias that cetain staff members have one way or the other. I mean there are landmines of misinformation all of this forum and it takes a while to know how the get around a lot of it. I have directed a person to a thread where laid out a detailed opinion that could have be used against me. For me, there is no strategy in denying information.

never tell them. hey they see the mag on the shelf. they can buy it if they want to. then theyll know about the site

Well we sure would appreciate if you told them early enough so that they feel compelled to subscribe, too. But I suspect you already knew that. :goodposting:

ASAP. The more time your competitors spend on this forum bogged down in catfights and "Homers, check in" threads the less time they spend doing legitimate, hardcore preparation.

I use the Shark Pool. Here is where you can find some of the best info around.You have many different takes on FF here. You have stat geeks, guys who understand how to watch and evaluate talent, guys who understand both how to evaluate talent and match that with team situations and opportunities.I also love the Shark Pool because you get takes on teams by guys are are local to that area. That can sometimes be invaluable information.You also get some really bad information as well. And knowing what is good constructive info and BS is another art in the modern day FF arena. I mean ADP's are made on message boards today. It is the friggin stock market. LOL.Crap I have been playing this game since 1990. I remember no internet, Monday night football highlights, and limited information. I will put up old fashion talent evaluation against any spread sheet any day of the week.Today in FF it is info overload. As far as telling my friends.......never...let them do their own research and find a community as good as this one. Eventually they will find their way here. Then let them weed through the jungle.
The reasons you list are why I have no issue with telling people in other league or co-workers about FBG---if they ask. While they can get a good application like DD, VBD or quality rankings, they still have no significant feel if the information is good or the bias that cetain staff members have one way or the other. I mean there are landmines of misinformation all of this forum and it takes a while to know how the get around a lot of it. I have directed a person to a thread where laid out a detailed opinion that could have be used against me. For me, there is no strategy in denying information.
Great point.

You never tell them about this site. Use the assistant coach forum to get feedback on trade or roster move advice under a good alias so no one in your league figures you out and provides phony feedback to lure you into a bad trade. Use the updated rankings for trade evaluations as well.

Also as another mentioned before....nothing beats old fashion putting in quality time watching real NFL games to scout talent. 2 hours of watching a game on the weekend beats 8 hours of internet research and analysis at your desk at work (unless you got nothing better to do).

I had about 3, maybe 4 years where no one knew about this site in my main league. Then I let it slip to the league yenta a couple of times about a conversation I was having here. He's here all the time now and when I found him quoting my opinions back to me too many times of things I said here that I did not say to him I had to severely cut back my opinions here.

I'd mention I liked a player in the SP who also happened to be on his roster and shortly there after I would get a call or an email offering me that player but wanting the moon in return. Or I would mention I liked some rookie and sure enough that player would get snagged out from under me by this owner in the rookie draft (Dynasty Leagye). So for the last few years I've had to keep a lot of my opinions to myself. I find myself lurking a lot more or only offering opinions on players that are sort of off the radar for me and for this guy. And sadly, sometimes I would pull and H.K., and actually rip a player I liked to keep this guy off the trail :confused:

The downside of this for me, and probably the board, is that when I do get a chance to discuss a player I tend to go a little more hard core than I normally would in the discussion as I don't have as many players I can talk about openly. And of course I take particular relish in ripping this other owners players. One player in particular as many of you know. Sorry about that.

whitem0nkey said:
one owner in my league did some spy work and looked at my history when I was away from my computer.
I always go through google to get here when on a shared computer. Yeah, they could still find it, but it would be harder.
[icon] said:
There are 2 other guys in my office league that use FBG. Only, they're too cheap to pay for subscription (updated projections) and too lazy to read the shark pool.... so I beat them year in and year out.
So without the subscription or Shark Pool, what are they actually using on this site?
True, but I think I'll still wait a few months.
Yeah, I've been waiting about 60 or 70 months so far, is that what you meant by a few?
Jason Wood said:
Well we sure would appreciate if you told them early enough so that they feel compelled to subscribe, too. But I suspect you already knew that. ;)
Yeah, sorry about that.

I am the only one who uses the site or DD in our league and I found that they thought I had some competitive advantage that they could not get. They even tried to ban the use of it the first year, LOL. I found that giving them the access to the site was a good way to beat back the whiners. I even let them look at it during the draft. As has been stated previously in this thread, they did not know, or want to know, how to use the info DD gave them. They surely didn't take the time to come here and wade through the "SHARK' infested waters(pardon the really bad pun). I say give it to them. 9 times out of 10 they won't use it or, at the very least, they will try and not understand the concepts needed to use the tools handed to them anyway...

I told my good mate about it a few years because he was running a league and needed something to keep track of players and teams. I recommended Draft Dominator, which he now uses for all drafts (free version.) He knows of FBGs but I am pretty sure he doesnt use it for anything else except for DD.

As for telling the rest of my league mates, they're all pretty savvy and im sure they are in the same boat as me. U know about FBGs but will let everyone else find it for themselves.

I don't speak a word to my leagues. After finding Footballguys, I went from a playoff team to a back to back champion team and 3rd place then 2nd place in another.

If they know of FBG, then it takes the advantage away and reduces the game to luck. I enjoy winning too much. A few guys started to notice the DD last year and really liked it. I told them about a week later where it was, they have probably forgotten by now.

I don't speak a word to my leagues. After finding Footballguys, I went from a playoff team to a back to back champion team and 3rd place then 2nd place in another. If they know of FBG, then it takes the advantage away and reduces the game to luck. I enjoy winning too much. A few guys started to notice the DD last year and really liked it. I told them about a week later where it was, they have probably forgotten by now.
Giving your opponents access to the same information you have reduces the game to luck? :no:If anything, the game right now is one of luck. You aren't winning because you're more skilled, you're winning because you have a secret advantage that has nothing to do with your own talents and everything to do with the quality product produced by the FBGs. If everyone had access to the same information, then it would really be a game of skill- everyone has the same data, and it's just a matter of what you do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread