What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Succession on HBO (2 Viewers)

It's kind of hard to believe that there's only episode left. If I had to guess, I suppose a fair amount of stuff is going to go unresolved or get some sort of ambiguous ending. In particular, this just doesn't seem like the type of show that puts somebody on the Iron Throne at the end and everybody just says "well, that's that." In my imagination, the kids are still fighting over who gets to be in charge 20 years from now, regardless of what happens with Matsson next week.

I do like how they used the disputed election (succession of power) as a metaphor for what was going on at the funeral. I didn't care much for the storyline around election night, but they at least paid it off nicely.

I've read a few recaps of last night's episode and I haven't seen anyone address this: In a private conversation with Mattson, Shiv floats her own name as US CEO. Shortly afterward, Hugo tells Ken that he heard this news from Ebba. That leaves two possibilities:

Explanation 1: For all his cunning, Mattson continues to have a weak spot for Ebba, trusting her with details despite the fact that he knows (or should know) that she hates his guts and is leaking out of spite. He treats her like crap at the party, she storms off, and a short time later, everyone seems to know about the India numbers.

Explanation 2: The theory that I floated -- and then dismissed -- last week is true. All of this dirty laundry about Ebba and the India numbers was a deliberate mindf##k by Mattson. I gotta say, it's looking way more plausible at this point. IIRC, Shiv was pushing him to news dump the India stuff at one point in the episode, but he's resistant. Maybe that's because it's not true and there's nothing to release? Meanwhile, if it's true he deliberately had Ebba leak to Hugo, the motive would be clear: He recognizes that the sibs are at their weakest when they're divided, so he's using the misinfo to sow division

I doubt we'll get much more on Mencken in the finale, but from what we saw last night I think it's pretty clear how Armstrong views him. Note the way all these powerful businesspeople throw themselves at his feet, and how he lets them contort themselves without ever revealing his own positions. He's smart, he's cagey, and unlike his predecessor, he's not going to let the CEO of Waystar or any other company push him around. He's going to be the one doing the pushing.

In the continuing Succession-verse that we'll likely never get to see, I think -- or more importantly, Armstrong thinks -- Mencken succeeds in his project of dismantling American democracy and installing himself as a fascist dictator.

That was great television. I think Culkin is probably the leading candidate for an Emmy nom from this show after tonight. Last year Cox and Strong got nominations.
Gonna be hard to sort this out. Strong and the actor who plays Tom (can’t spell his last name) have also been super good.

Tom/McFayden (sp?) missed 90% of that episode but absolutely nailed the short screen time he had.

That was great television. I think Culkin is probably the leading candidate for an Emmy nom from this show after tonight. Last year Cox and Strong got nominations.
Gonna be hard to sort this out. Strong and the actor who plays Tom (can’t spell his last name) have also been super good.

Tom/McFayden (sp?) missed 90% of that episode but absolutely nailed the short screen time he had.
I think that guy is both my favorite actor and character on this show, which is saying an awful lot.

Also, we don't buy the line about Shiv's baby being Tom's right?
Possible, but I wouldn't really be shocked either way. I think the significance of the pregnancy as a plot device is that it is a "weakness" for Shiv, both in the sense of impairing her ability to run the company and because everyone keeps telling her what a terrible mother she'll be. Who the father is is mostly irrelevant, which is why I think it's probably Tom's.

Possible, but I wouldn't really be shocked either way. I think the significance of the pregnancy as a plot device is that it is a "weakness" for Shiv, both in the sense of impairing her ability to run the company and because everyone keeps telling her what a terrible mother she'll be. Who the father is is mostly irrelevant, which is why I think it's probably Tom's.

One of the best lines of the night was Roman asking her "Is it mine?"

I loved the part where Kendall and Roman are trying to figure out who was going to ask that question and how.

She wants it to be, so it is either way.
If I was going to hazard a prediction, it would be that the father was that political consultant that Shiv hooked up with. Tom and Shiv will both privately know this but won't say anything because Shiv wants a mascot and Tom wants access.

They could also just not address this topic at all in the finale and just leave it as-is. We never really find out who the father is, and it doesn't matter because the Roys are going to create their own reality anyway. As you suggest, it's Tom's kid because the Roys want it that way.

Last edited:
Series has pretty much always shown Shiv's cheating when it was happening. Not sure the timeline works for it to be anyone besides Tom. It's been just a few days this entire season, right?

Confession to make, I stopped watching Succession about midway through the first season. I thought almost every character was scum. I captured the main themes, that power corrupts and money alone does not lead to happy life. Suspected that we would just see continued backstabbing and abuse and didn’t see much value in watching.

I thought the premise was interesting and did laugh at some of the black humor. But I would rather watch something less bleak.

When I heard that Logan had died, I resumed watching with episode three of this season. I am interested in how how the series ends and what becomes of the characters. And am looking forward to the last episode but don’t feel I missed anything in between.

I am mostly joylessly watching this show out of a desire to keep up with pop culture, but that last episode was great TV.

The only way this ends is with all the kids losing. We’ve seen that they will never succeed together and none of them will emerge as the leader. All their planning and scheming will backfire and the board will push them out of the company.

I think the final episode will focus on how the last two episodes were seen through their isolated bubble and reality is not as they see it. Menckan didn’t get crowned just because of one network. Outside their bubble, the election is still undecided and there’s scrutiny with both Menckan and ATN in their roles.

I think the final episode will focus on how the last two episodes were seen through their isolated bubble and reality is not as they see it. Menckan didn’t get crowned just because of one network. Outside their bubble, the election is still undecided and there’s scrutiny with both Menckan and ATN in their roles.

Yea I think this was alluded to when somebody asked Menken how it was going and he said something like we are still hopeful. We are definitely seeing things through unreliable lens.

And his plan if he ever saw her breastfeeding, I love his character and the funeral scene was so so so well done

None of the characters are likeable (except Hugo), but I like the show. I especially find it humorous when Shiv panics and has those wild eyed facial expressions. At first I thought Tom was an idiot, but I'm seeing a different side to him that is more appealing. Gregory is a buffoon. I cringe whenever he talks. In the beginning I liked Shiv's character, but hate her now. Tom is right, she only thinks of herself, as most do on this show. I also can't stand Roman, but I did like when he stood up to Mattson. It seems as if he can't string words together to make a coherent sentence most of the time. Ken thinks he's smarter than he is, but he is my favorite character. Connor is an idiot for sure. At least he's quiet most of the time.

Last edited:

Yea I think this was alluded to when somebody asked Menken how it was going and he said something like we are still hopeful. We are definitely seeing things through unreliable lens.
I think it's just showing things as they are. In the real world, the Wisconsin results would be sorted out in the courts, and the characters in the show all seem to know that. It's been referenced a few times. ATN has its thumb on the scale, but nobody is under any illusions that one network calling one state is the same as certifying a vote count.

The only way this ends is with all the kids losing. We’ve seen that they will never succeed together and none of them will emerge as the leader. All their planning and scheming will backfire and the board will push them out of the company.

Would be great if the board approves the Gojo deal with the stipulation that Connor is the US CEO.
Bran Stark 2.0.

(Meant in the sense that (a) yes it would be kind of funny and also (b) I would chuck something through my screen if they did this.)

Last edited:
None of the characters are likeable (except Hugo), but I like the show. I especially find it humorous when Shiv panics and has those wild eyed facial expressions. At first I thought Tom was an idiot, but I'm seeing a different side to him that is more appealing. Gregory is a buffoon. I cringe whenever he talks. In the beginning I liked Shiv's character, but hate her now. Tom is right, she only thinks of herself, as most do on this show. I also can't stand Roman, but I did like when he stood up to Mattson. It seems as if he can't string words together to make a coherent sentence most of the time. Ken thinks he's smarter than he is, but he is my favorite character. Connor is an idiot for sure. At least he's quiet most of the time.
What? LOL

Would be great if the board approves the Gojo deal with the stipulation that Connor is the US CEO.
He is the eldest son.

What? LOL
They are all horrible people.

What? LOL
I think he's asking why you singled out the weasel Hugo as "likeable".

I don’t know if this is the best show I’ve ever seen, but I do feel like this may be the best season of tv I’ve seen. Really great.
And you accuse my take as schtick?

You think this is better than almost any season of:
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
GOT
Ozark
The Wire
etc??

Confession to make, I stopped watching Succession about midway through the first season. I thought almost every character was scum. I captured the main themes, that power corrupts and money alone does not lead to happy life. Suspected that we would just see continued backstabbing and abuse and didn’t see much value in watching.

I thought the premise was interesting and did laugh at some of the black humor. But I would rather watch something less bleak.

When I heard that Logan had died, I resumed watching with episode three of this season. I am interested in how how the series ends and what becomes of the characters. And am looking forward to the last episode but don’t feel I missed anything in between.
You really didn't. I did the opposite and have struggled along after giving up twice on the show.

I don’t know if this is the best show I’ve ever seen, but I do feel like this may be the best season of tv I’ve seen. Really great.
And you accuse my take as schtick?

You think this is better than almost any season of:
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
GOT
Ozark
The Wire
etc??

Ozark :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: You can’t be serious.

Yea I maybe would put season 1 and 2 of the sopranos above this. Maybe season 1 and the final season of Breaking Bad. That’s probably about it. It’s elite.

Ozark was terrible especially at the end. I see why Succession isn’t your thing.

What? LOL
I think he's asking why you singled out the weasel Hugo as "likeable".

It was supposed to be funny considering how horrible the rest of them are as people.

I too love watching shows in their entirety that I think are horrible and constantly badmouth.
I guess you are not familiar with the Yellowstone thread :lol:
I’m like 30 shows behind on things I want to watch so I guess I just don’t get “wasting time” watching something I think is really bad. If I get three episodes in and the acting is bad and/or writing is terrible, I’ll bail (unless I was warned it gets off to a slow start and told to stick with it).

I criticized Succession in the TV thread a few weeks ago (I was 3 episodes behind at the time). This season started out pretty weak but from the death episode through the latest one it has been nearly perfect. One thing that they knock out of the park which kind of flies under the radar is the score/music composition. The opening music is ringtone worthy.

eta: After some googling, maybe the score hasn't flown under the radar. Nicholas Britell won an Emmy season 1 and was nominated for Emmys in seasons 2 & 3.

What? LOL
But, they are not serious people.

I’m like 30 shows behind on things I want to watch so I guess I just don’t get “wasting time” watching something I think is really bad. If I get three episodes in and the acting is bad and/or writing is terrible, I’ll bail (unless I was warned it gets off to a slow start and told to stick with it).

Our kids are teens so any show we watch, we watch together. There are just so many quality shows out there now that there are series we actually like, and we've bailed because we went too long in between episodes and got overtaken by the next wave of shows that came out. It's too much!

Users who are viewing this thread