What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Succession on HBO (1 Viewer)

You really didn't. I did the opposite and have struggled along after giving up twice on the show.
What show that you think is horrible will you watch in it's entirety next after Succession ends?
I too love watching shows in their entirety that I think are horrible and constantly badmouth.
Like your James Bond thread? :coffee:
Less hatred more potential of divorce.

What other shows are great now? Succession, Saul, Barry ending. I like Abbot but it’s certainly not a great show.

You really didn't. I did the opposite and have struggled along after giving up twice on the show.
What show that you think is horrible will you watch in it's entirety next after Succession ends?
I too love watching shows in their entirety that I think are horrible and constantly badmouth.
Like your James Bond thread? :coffee:
Less hatred more potential of divorce.
I just get a laugh at that thread title each time I see it bumped.

Severance was meh. I liked it initially but I don't think I ever watched the last episode. Just didn't have the interest and everytime I was like "oh I need to finish it", I would find something else instead to watch.

Agreed. I got 4 episodes in and didn’t go back
Severance was meh. I liked it initially but I don't think I ever watched the last episode. Just didn't have the interest and everytime I was like "oh I need to finish it", I would find something else instead to watch.

What other shows are great now? Succession, Saul, Barry ending. I like Abbot but it’s certainly not a great show.
I’ve enjoyed The White Lotus as well, but not sure I’d call it great… feels like a lot of my favorite shows are ending.

I’ve enjoyed The White Lotus as well, but not sure I’d call it great… feels like a lot of my favorite shows are ending.
White Lotus is damn close to great. I would count it. Good call.
I could have done without Jake Lacy in Season 1, as it felt like he was channeling the Office shtick the entire season and it felt totally out of place, but otherwise S1 was great, and S2 was even better.

I don’t know if this is the best show I’ve ever seen, but I do feel like this may be the best season of tv I’ve seen. Really great.
And you accuse my take as schtick?

You think this is better than almost any season of:
Sopranos
Breaking Bad
GOT
Ozark
The Wire
etc??

It's better than Ozark easily
That's your opinion.
No that one is actually a fact.

Honestly that last season of game of thrones was so bad I might put succession ahead of that as well.
The others are truly badass top of the line ****. I can't put it over them

I could have done without Jake Lacy in Season 1, as it felt like he was channeling the Office shtick the entire season and it felt totally out of place, but otherwise S1 was great, and S2 was even better.
Interesting, I liked S1 better and thought Lacey vs. Bartlett was the best part of the whole series.

He wasn’t anything like his character on The Office.

He wasn’t anything like his character on The Office.
That's the character that I remember most from Season 1. Obviously we're supposed to hate that guy, and the writers succeeded. They did a good job with that character IMO, as did the actor.

I don’t know if this is the best show I’ve ever seen, but I do feel like this may be the best season of tv I’ve seen. Really great.

Sopranos
Breaking Bad
GOT
Ozark
The Wire
etc??

That's your opinion.
I'm sure you'll pass this off as nonsense, but if you Google them 92% liked Ozark (8.5 IMDB) while 85% liked Succession (8.8 IMDB).

So, no, it's an opinion.

Sopranos
Breaking Bad
GOT
Ozark
The Wire
etc??

That's your opinion.
I'm sure you'll pass this off as nonsense, but if you Google them 92% liked Ozark (8.5 IMDB) while 85% liked Succession (8.8 IMDB).

So, no, it's an opinion.
Yea it is nonsense. McDonald’s is the most popular burger too. Americans like crap.

Is Succession like the new Stranger Things** or something? There was an article today on Yahoo! titled simply "Leave it all to Greg" ... and the article writer completely assumed that Greg from Succession is some kind of household name that every American already knows intimately.

Didn't Succession just come out?

(They do this kind of stuff with Ted Lasso, too. Yeah, I know it's a big show for Apple TV. Problem is ... nobody has Apple TV, though (I know, not nobody. But still.)

** in popularity/cultural-impact, not theme

I saw something recently, also, about "Succession hats" -- apparently fitted baseball caps with no logos (I think?). Is that a thing now?

... I coulda read page 1 in this thread and realized that the OP is from 2018 :eek:

Did Succession go on a long pandemic hiatus or something? Where the heck was all this cultural buzz in 2019, say?

It came out in 2018 and is in its 4th and final season. Last episode is Sunday
Why am I hearing/reading about it all the time all of a sudden?

Not meant to be a challenging "Oh yeah?" question. What I mean is: Has something recent suddenly elevated the cultural profile of Succession?

Kind of reminds me of Schitt's Creek's arc. Very little attention for a year or two or three ... then discovered during it's last season, wins a bunch of awards, stops production, and then coasts on as a hugely popular streaming program. Dan Levy starts making Dorito's commercials.

Not meant to be a challenging "Oh yeah?" question. What I mean is: Has something recent suddenly elevated the cultural profile of Succession?

Kind of reminds me of Schitt's Creek's arc. Very little attention for a year or two or three ... then discovered during it's last season, wins a bunch of awards, stops production, and then coasts on as a hugely popular streaming program. Dan Levy starts making Dorito's commercials.
You‘re likely hearing about it more because it was announced that it’s the final season. So this season is more hyped and talked about. Always happens when a great show is about to end.

Last edited:
Is Succession like the new Stranger Things** or something? There was an article today on Yahoo! titled simply "Leave it all to Greg" ... and the article writer completely assumed that Greg from Succession is some kind of household name that every American already knows intimately.

(They do this kind of stuff with Ted Lasso, too. Yeah, I know it's a big show for Apple TV. Problem is ... nobody has Apple TV, though (I know, not nobody. But still.)

** in popularity/cultural-impact, not theme
Clearly you need someone gregging for you ASAP

Pretty cool that we can all watch the same episode, and collectively we come up with half-a-dozen or more moments of subline dialogue that each of us picked out as we were watching it. It's been a while since I've watched a tv show that did dialogue this well consistently.
Can't recall the exact wording but I lost it when Roman, seeing Ken put on sunglasses going into church - ah yes, hide your crying and your feelings, smart! No one will know, and you can emerge victorious, the WINNER of the funeral!

Your likely hearing about it more because it was announced that it’s the final season. So this season is more hyped and talked about. Always happens when a great show is about to end.
Also, Succession is pretty famous for having a cultural footprint far in excess of its actual viewership. This is a character-driven show featuring a cast of entirely unlikeable characters, with no action whatsoever, and heavily-layered dialogue that requires viewers to carefully listen for the notes not being played to discern what's actually being said. It's a top-tier show that unapologetically appeals to a tiny sliver of prestige tv. This is the kind of show that always punches above its weight in the media.

Pretty cool that we can all watch the same episode, and collectively we come up with half-a-dozen or more moments of subline dialogue that each of us picked out as we were watching it. It's been a while since I've watched a tv show that did dialogue this well consistently.
Can't recall the exact wording but I lost it when Roman, seeing Ken put on sunglasses going into church - ah yes, hide your crying and your feelings, smart! No one will know, and you can emerge victorious, the WINNER of the funeral!
Which was awesome in part because all three kids were unironically actually trying to "win" the funeral.

Edit: Sorry, Con-heads. I meant four kids.

Last edited:
Also, Succession is pretty famous for having a cultural footprint far in excess of its actual viewership.

One of the good things about streaming television -- I can always catch up.

It's always both weird and interesting to me when cultural phenomena just seemingly come from nowhere, fully-formed with histories and salient cultural presence. Six months ago? Nada, at least on my radar. But now I'm getting Succession 'stuff' passively, without even seeking it out.

Also, Succession is pretty famous for having a cultural footprint far in excess of its actual viewership.

One of the good things about streaming television -- I can always catch up.

It's always both weird and interesting to me when cultural phenomena just seemingly come from nowhere, fully-formed with histories and salient cultural presence. Six months ago? Nada, at least on my radar. But now I'm getting Succession 'stuff' passively, without even seeking it out.
Might also be a bit of the “yellow car” syndrome too. You for one reason or another notice a yellow car then all of a sudden feel like you see yellow cars everywhere where prior to you never saw any. “Wow, where did All these yellow cars come from?” They were always there, you just didn’t notice them before.

Really enjoyed Severance personally. I'm a bit of a sucker for a show that has the combination of a great score, acting, and cinematography. Like Succession, they nail all of those elements.

Severance does a bit of an elongated reveal of the mystery in S1. It's ultimate ranking will depend on how the rest of it goes, but I think it is up there so far.

Sopranos
Breaking Bad
GOT
Ozark
The Wire
etc??

I enjoyed Ozark a lot, but it was never in this tier.

Very hard to rate Succession before it's ending. Gun to my head, I'd say it could finish strong enough to be in the Sopranos/Mad Men range. There are a lot of similarities with those shows IMO. Maybe the next 90 minutes stick the landing better than they did.

Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul and the Wire are at the top though. Clearly great prestige TV in a tier of their own. What Better Call Saul did last year does not get talked about enough. "Plan and Execution" alone was a masterpiece.

That stare from Ewan at Kendall after his speech. Looks like he's scene a ghost of his brother.

Sorry Conheads but there is no way Conner gets anything of value. None.

He won’t get anything in the company but he’s never wanted it. Big picture though he’s the only kid who will have a happy ending. The other three will be miserable realizing that they failed on the only thing they cared about and the rest of their lives are dumpster fires.

He won’t get anything in the company but he’s never wanted it. Big picture though he’s the only kid who will have a happy ending. The other three will be miserable realizing that they failed on the only thing they cared about and the rest of their lives are dumpster fires.
Conner has his ambitions and he’s every bit the failure

100 million for 1 percent. Lmao

Oh he is but the difference is he doesn’t care. The other kids let their failures tear them apart, Conner doesn’t. He’ll end up rich with a wife that’s totally comfortable with their arrangement. Contrast that with Shiv/Tom’s relationship and Kendall choosing the business over his kids. His failures won’t stick with him but the other kids have already let them destroy their personal lives and will let their failures control their life going forward.

Connor will ride off into the NM sunset with his Conheads, his wife and a fortune and be happy. No one else will.

Oh he is but the difference is he doesn’t care. The other kids let their failures tear them apart, Conner doesn’t. He’ll end up rich with a wife that’s totally comfortable with their arrangement. Contrast that with Shiv/Tom’s relationship and Kendall choosing the business over his kids. His failures won’t stick with him but the other kids have already let them destroy their personal lives and will let their failures control their life going forward.

Connor will ride off into the NM sunset with his Conheads, his wife and a fortune and be happy. No one else will.
I always knew it would work out for Cameron.

Yeah he is just dumb enough to be happy

I’m shocked Logan was so cool with him trashing his prized Ferrari and damaging the garage.

I’m shocked Logan was so cool with him trashing his prized Ferrari and damaging the garage.

I think about ferris every time Connor has a scene

Users who are viewing this thread