What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “I want to retire soon” thread (1 Viewer)

A few (ok, many) days like today and this thread will get real. Or at least realer.
:oldunsure:
Is > 25% gain in the last year not enough for you?
Yeah, but unfortunately I still have a few years to go, which means there is still time for things to go sideways. As I approach retirement, I am starting to feel like the Press Your Luck contestant who has a winning total but still has a handful of spins they are forced to take. No whammies, no whammies . . .
Are you moving more into bonds?
Yeah, but obviously it's still going to be mostly stocks for a while. Mainly I just wanted to work in a Press Your Luck joke.

So, with our move to Italy occurring 6/24, I am giving my notice that i am giving notice Monday the 20th of May. My intent is to make 6/28 my last day and squeak out a couple of extra days of pay.
What i mean is that I want to continue working, but I am making the logical assumption that my company will not allow me to work remotely full time from Italy. On 5/20 I will tell my mgr. that I love what I do and I want to continue, so maybe between 5/20-5/31 we can figure something out to make this work. If they flat say "no, get out", I will tender my formal written notice.

It was a run! I will be able to work anywhere, including Italy, but finding someone that wants to hire me under my conditions and to make something worth my while might be difficult. I mean, I'm not going to wash dishes in a restaurant (not insulting anyone, please don't report me).

A few (ok, many) days like today and this thread will get real. Or at least realer.
Yeah, but unfortunately I still have a few years to go, which means there is still time for things to go sideways. As I approach retirement, I am starting to feel like the Press Your Luck contestant who has a winning total but still has a handful of spins they are forced to take. No whammies, no whammies . . .
I’ll be honest and say that I really do feel skittish right now. Maybe if inflation really does go down and mortgage rates do as well, we might slide out of this without a dip but man it really doesn’t feel like the general public is in great shape. I feel like I want to sleep with one eye open but I’m still well invested.

As I approach retirement, I am starting to feel like the Press Your Luck contestant who has a winning total but still has a handful of spins they are forced to take. No whammies, no whammies . . .
I understand this feeling. I could probably retire today but since I can't touch anything without big penalties (and needing to hit MRA for the government) I have to work another 5 years. Those five years are like five forced spins I have to take.

As I approach retirement, I am starting to feel like the Press Your Luck contestant who has a winning total but still has a handful of spins they are forced to take. No whammies, no whammies . . .
I understand this feeling. I could probably retire today but since I can't touch anything without big penalties (and needing to hit MRA for the government) I have to work another 5 years. Those five years are like five forced spins I have to take.
I've been thinking of my government pension as my safe/bonds portion for retirement. So, while I do kind of dread what might happen to the market those last years before tapping into my TSP, I'm of the mindset right now to keep it in stocks even as I approach retirement since I do have that pension. Maybe there's something pretty faulty in that thinking, though. Plus, I still have about 10 years to MRA, so it's not something I'm worried about at all right now.

Love Frank. I don’t always agree with the way he says things (more on Facebook than his podcast) but he makes you think.

Sounds like you read the same FB thread I did this morning. He’s always a little aggressive there, but seems somebody peed in his Cheerios this morning.

I’m on my fourth episode of his podcast for today. Started at the beginning and I’m up to Feb ‘23 now, although I’ve listened to some of the recent ones as they’ve popped up.

I've been thinking of my government pension as my safe/bonds portion for retirement. So, while I do kind of dread what might happen to the market those last years before tapping into my TSP, I'm of the mindset right now to keep it in stocks even as I approach retirement since I do have that pension. Maybe there's something pretty faulty in that thinking, though. Plus, I still have about 10 years to MRA, so it's not something I'm worried about at all right now.
Being that you are still 10 years away I would for sure keep it on the aggressive side. No need to dial back yet. I am approaching 5 yrs and have started thinking about getting less aggressive to some degree. Still not sure when, how or what I need to do with respect to that.

I will only have 10 yrs in with the government so my pension will be small-ish. It's more of a pay the monthly utility bill type of thing. I have been looking at the numbers regarding when I should start pulling on it and I think I am willing to take the hit for starting early (start at my MRA rather than wait until I am 62) because that will allow me to keep the health care at the current rate. From all that I have read if I start taking the pension immediately upon retirement I can just keep my current healthcare coverage at the current rate and keep it from then on. That seems to be a real benefit of keeping costs low. It diminishes the pension payment quite a bit but off setting the healthcare costs of getting private care seems to be well worth it. Anybody have any thoughts on this aspect? Am I understanding it correctly? I believe if I defer my pension payments I lose that opportunity to roll the health care coverage over.

So, with our move to Italy occurring 6/24, I am giving my notice that i am giving notice Monday the 20th of May. My intent is to make 6/28 my last day and squeak out a couple of extra days of pay.
What i mean is that I want to continue working, but I am making the logical assumption that my company will not allow me to work remotely full time from Italy. On 5/20 I will tell my mgr. that I love what I do and I want to continue, so maybe between 5/20-5/31 we can figure something out to make this work. If they flat say "no, get out", I will tender my formal written notice.

It was a run! I will be able to work anywhere, including Italy, but finding someone that wants to hire me under my conditions and to make something worth my while might be difficult. I mean, I'm not going to wash dishes in a restaurant (not insulting anyone, please don't report me).

See, now I'm the opposite. I kinda want to wash dishes in a restaurant. Or wait tables. Or pour beers. I want a brain dead job that requires no critical thinking or even non-critical thinking. Just something to stay busy.

Are you moving more into bonds?
I keep buying bonds with new monies, but it can't keep up - equities are on a roll and with bonds negative this year and last my allocation ratio is leaning more toward equities as we go.

See, now I'm the opposite. I kinda want to wash dishes in a restaurant. Or wait tables. Or pour beers. I want a brain dead job that requires no critical thinking or even non-critical thinking. Just something to stay busy.
Sign me up for tending bar in Italy

If they tell you "no, get out" I don't think formal written notice will be required.

If they tell you "no, get out" I don't think formal written notice will be required.
well, i don’t literally mean “no, get out”. i am sure they will honor my end date, regardless of whether they immediately send me home or not, they are obligated to pay me thru my stated end date. they can’t say leave now and not honor my 6/28 end date. i’m an at will employee, but i am pretty sure this is standard procedure.

I keep buying bonds with new monies, but it can't keep up - equities are on a roll and with bonds negative this year and last my allocation ratio is leaning more toward equities as we go.

I've been adding to EDV here and there over the past few months, some of it re-allocation from other mixed bond funds and some with new monies. Thinking I may re-allocate just a little of this equity currently at ATHs as well as over the next 2-5 years I want to get to 17-20% allocation with EDV, and my total bond allocation today is at about 12%.

well, i don’t literally mean “no, get out”. i am sure they will honor my end date, regardless of whether they immediately send me home or not, they are obligated to pay me thru my stated end date. they can’t say leave now and not honor my 6/28 end date. i’m an at will employee, but i am pretty sure this is standard procedure.
Why would that be standard procedure? I can’t go to my job and say, hey my end date is 10 years from today and they have to honor it. If your job requires a big transition, they could honor it, otherwise they can just say, nah, you can leave now.

Being that you are still 10 years away I would for sure keep it on the aggressive side. No need to dial back yet. I am approaching 5 yrs and have started thinking about getting less aggressive to some degree. Still not sure when, how or what I need to do with respect to that.

I will only have 10 yrs in with the government so my pension will be small-ish. It's more of a pay the monthly utility bill type of thing. I have been looking at the numbers regarding when I should start pulling on it and I think I am willing to take the hit for starting early (start at my MRA rather than wait until I am 62) because that will allow me to keep the health care at the current rate. From all that I have read if I start taking the pension immediately upon retirement I can just keep my current healthcare coverage at the current rate and keep it from then on. That seems to be a real benefit of keeping costs low. It diminishes the pension payment quite a bit but off setting the healthcare costs of getting private care seems to be well worth it. Anybody have any thoughts on this aspect? Am I understanding it correctly? I believe if I defer my pension payments I lose that opportunity to roll the health care coverage over.
Yeah, 10 years of service at MRA is definitely different than my pension. I'll be at 34+ years at MRA.

There's a difference between a Deferred Retirement and postponing the collection a Voluntary Retirement. I found this on Health Insurance for Voluntary Retirements:

Health Insurance​

If you postpone the beginning date of your annuity, you will be eligible to temporarily continue your health benefits coverage for 18 months from the date of separation from your employing agency; however, you must contact your agency within 60 days and pay the total premium, which includes the employee share and the government share plus a 2% administrative charge. When your annuity payments begin, if you had Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) coverage for the 5 years of service immediately before you separated, you will again have the opportunity to enroll in a health benefits plan under the FEHB program, and OPM will pay the Government share of the premium.

Last edited:
I'm 25% bonds and I'm retiring at the end of the year. I've got another 7% ish in cash making 5% though so closer to 30% fixed income. I'm comfortable with that. If anything a tad too conservative.

Why would that be standard procedure? I can’t go to my job and say, hey my end date is 10 years from today and they have to honor it. If your job requires a big transition, they could honor it, otherwise they can just say, nah, you can leave now.
well, i think my industry might be a bit liberal when it comes to transitioning work. so, if i give 4 weeks, i would assume it will be honored. if i gave 10 year notice they’d likely say, yeah but no and ask for something more realistic. i have done 3 weeks previously, was asked to leave immediately and i was paid for those 3 weeks. i haven’t given notice often in my life, so i don’t have ample experience.

well, i think my industry might be a bit liberal when it comes to transitioning work. so, if i give 4 weeks, i would assume it will be honored. if i gave 10 year notice they’d likely say, yeah but no and ask for something more realistic. i have done 3 weeks previously, was asked to leave immediately and i was paid for those 3 weeks. i haven’t given notice often in my life, so i don’t have ample experience.

In my experience it's pretty normal to give two weeks notice and then be shown the door that day, with pay through those two weeks. I was actually surprised at my last job as I was not going to a direct competitor and was expecting to help transition my accounts to another rep over at least the next week, but I was locked out of company systems within 90 minutes of giving my notice.

I'm 25% bonds and I'm retiring at the end of the year. I've got another 7% ish in cash making 5% though so closer to 30% fixed income. I'm comfortable with that. If anything a tad too conservative.
Unless you have a significant pension or two, 30% FI at retirement seems perfect or even a little on the risky side. 60/40 is often recommended, especially with reasonable bond rates.
Sounds like you have a good plan.

Unless you have a significant pension or two, 30% FI at retirement seems perfect or even a little on the risky side. 60/40 is often recommended, especially with reasonable bond rates.
I’m pretty risk adverse but agree. I’m at about 50/50 planning on retiring in the next 4-5 years. A bit conservative but with half yielding over 5% right now I’m ok with it. I usually play out a scenario where the market drops 50% and if it did would I survive and still be able to retire in the time frame I allotted.

60/40? Come on @-OZ- where’s your gold, managed futures, long term treasuries, and an equity split between large cap growth and small cap value?

IRS rule of 55 can be a beautiful thing. If you leave your job at age 55 or older, for retirement or any other reason - you have immediate access to that company's retirement plan.
Applies to everyone, but for the Gub'ment peeps and their pensions (and Soc Sec), it can be even more of a good thing to get them to age 62.

Rule of 55 and Early Access to TSP

IRS rule of 55 can be a beautiful thing. If you leave your job at age 55 or older, for retirement or any other reason - you have immediate access to that company's retirement plan.
Applies to everyone, but for the Gub'ment peeps and their pensions (and Soc Sec), it can be even more of a good thing to get them to age 62.

Rule of 55 and Early Access to TSP

If your employers plan allows for partial withdrawals. Some don't.

Retiring in two weeks at age 62. Insurance was the one giving me heartburn, but it looks like I can get a policy thru ACA for just under $200/mo. I know I'm coming up short incomewise, but only $300-400/mo which I plan on making up by working part-time. I've had a couple financial guys look it over including my best friend and they both said I'll be fine.
Already joined a SR Mens Golf league on Monday mornings and am cleared to be an Uber driver.

Retiring in two weeks at age 62. Insurance was the one giving me heartburn, but it looks like I can get a policy thru ACA for just under $200/mo. I know I'm coming up short incomewise, but only $300-400/mo which I plan on making up by working part-time. I've had a couple financial guys look it over including my best friend and they both said I'll be fine.
Already joined a SR Mens Golf league on Monday mornings and am cleared to be an Uber driver.
I really think a lot of people wait too long looking to be in “perfect” financial shape and miss out on a lot of great years.

I really think a lot of people wait too long looking to be in “perfect” financial shape and miss out on a lot of great years.
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this point and trying to internalize it. I'm a temperamentally-conservative person who is going to be reluctant to leave my job (I can't come back - the decision to quit is final) until I am 100% sure that I am ready. And as you correctly note, there is a huge downside to that in terms of wasting a valuable year in the office. I don't really want to look back and decide that I waited too long to pull the trigger.

That's one of the main reasons why I have unofficially put myself on a clock and made at least some of my family (parents, in-laws) aware of our target date. I'm hoping that having a clearly-articulated target will work against the tendency to say "let's do one more year and see where things are after that."

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this point and trying to internalize it. I'm a temperamentally-conservative person who is going to be reluctant to leave my job (I can't come back - the decision to quit is final) until I am 100% sure that I am ready. And as you correctly note, there is a huge downside to that in terms of wasting a valuable year in the office. I don't really want to look back and decide that I waited too long to pull the trigger.

That's one of the main reasons why I have unofficially put myself on a clock and made at least some of my family (parents, in-laws) aware of our target date. I'm hoping that having a clearly-articulated target will work against the tendency to say "let's do one more year and see where things are after that."

Good conversation, a topic I've been thinking about a lot lately. The financial services industry is super conservative in their guidance on this. And that makes sense - the model has been AUM, so the more accumulation and the slower the decumulation the better for them. That's how they get paid. And telling someone to save more money obviously fulfills their fiduciary duties as well, it's not some scheme or anything, nothing wrong with that. So they run monte carlo simulations and say you can't retire until you get to a 95-100% chance of "success", which is defined as not running out of money, so you need to save more and withdraw less. And if you're a conservative or risk-averse person, that model probably works pretty well for you.

The 4% rule is similar. That's designed to survive the very worst sequence of return that has ever happened, essentially those that retired in the mid-late 60s. Some may want that level of confidence, again there's nothing wrong with that.

But the flip side is that the data shows many people end up with larger account balances at death than they had at retirement. Is that "success"? To me that means they underspent, they worked too long, or both. It seems if you are able to build in some flexibility in your spending plan, guardrails or similar, and/or be open to earning some income, then you can take on some more risk. Maybe a 75% chance of success on a monte carlo sim is sufficient, especially if it means you can retire 2 years earlier or spend another $10K a year.

What makes this all so challenging is that it's a math problem where we don't know with any certainty most of the inputs. We don't know when we'll die, what our personal rate of return or inflation will be (both are very much personal), whether we'll require long term care, etc. So I get why people want to build worst-case scenarios into their plans.

For now, we’ve sort of taken the opposite approach. We’re open to spending more now with the idea that I keep working for a while. I like my job enough to keep doing it, or change offices (fully remote for an agency I like even better would be ideal). But we’ll take five vacations or more each year, renovate the bathroom (last year) and kitchen (probably next year or 2026), buy that vehicle and boat, and before retirement buy that house on the lake. This all sounds irresponsible, but we’re fully on track with these expenses.

For now, we’ve sort of taken the opposite approach. We’re open to spending more now with the idea that I keep working for a while. I like my job enough to keep doing it, or change offices (fully remote for an agency I like even better would be ideal). But we’ll take five vacations or more each year, renovate the bathroom (last year) and kitchen (probably next year or 2026), buy that vehicle and boat, and before retirement buy that house on the lake. This all sounds irresponsible, but we’re fully on track with these expenses.

Not to me! You like your job, so you're not trying to retire as soon as possible. You've been intentional in your financial planning. What's they money for, if not to do things you want to do?

Not to me! You like your job, so you're not trying to retire as soon as possible. You've been intentional in your financial planning. What's they money for, if not to do things you want to do?
Good point. It’s funny how being frugal / cheap becomes who we are. Even intentionally choosing to differ from that comes with some consternation.

How would you handle THIS hypothetical situation? ....
55 year old owner of a small business that provides with him with a hefty chunk of money each year and pays the health insurance.
Already put both kids thru college (paid 100%) and they are both out on their own and succeeding. Wife no longer needs to work and just does a little bookkeeping for the business.
House is long since paid off, no loans, no car payments, no debt, and imo has way more money saved and invested than will ever be needed in retirement.
At what point do you close the business, give up the very large income, and leave the loyal employees scrambling to find a new job?
A great situation and this person would be truly blessed (if this were an actual person)
... but knowing life is short, how do you avoid the regret of not taking more time to travel and enjoy life before becoming an old man?

55 year old owner of a small business that provides with him with a hefty chunk of money each year and pays the health insurance.
Already put both kids thru college (paid 100%) and they are both out on their own and succeeding. Wife no longer needs to work and just does a little bookkeeping for the business.
House is long since paid off, no loans, no car payments, no debt, and imo has way more money saved and invested than will ever be needed in retirement.
At what point do you close the business, give up the very large income, and leave the loyal employees scrambling to find a new job?
A great situation and this person would be truly blessed (if this were an actual person)
... but knowing life is short, how do you avoid the regret of not taking more time to travel and enjoy life before becoming an old man?

Sell the business? Maybe to the employees?

You’re asking the quintessential question.
IMO it comes down to whether the business energized the person, they create value in the community, and whether they’re able to do other things they want.
A great option might be to sell the business and work as a consultant for it or part time, if feasible.

Same here. I think the real key is to find a job that at the very least doesn't make you unhappy and has the flexibility to do the things you want to do. Every additional year you can continue to work makes such a huge difference on the projection.

He can't delegate some of the work he's responsible for to others so he can do this while still keeping the business?

Yeah, we talked about this several pages back. I'm OK a little more risk and don't see the 60-40 or 50-50 as retirement numbers when my investments have another 30+ years to go. I'll be 50-50 closer to when I die and leave it all ro my wife.

I finally found out what the pitch is for the financial advisors provided my my company. They claim to have an index fund, an S&P 500 index fund where they can buy and sell inside the fund without tax consequence and basically do continuous tax harvesting that they say averages them and additional 1.6%. Of course they charge 1% for a minimum of 1 million.

Thoughts?

I don't think I'm going to bite for a supposedly 0.6% that of course isn't guaranteed.

Sell the business? Maybe to the employees?
Considered but the 5 employees are content to be the worker bees. None seem to be interested in the added responsibilities.
IMO it comes down to whether the business energized the person, ... Not much. There is a sense of responsibility that creates some energy but not "excited to be there".
they create value in the community, ... Yes, niche business and the only game in town ... for about 40 miles. Certainly a value to the community.
and whether they’re able to do other things they want. ....Some things but limited to intervals of 1 week at a time about 3 or 4 times a year. Still with the business in the back of the mind during.
A great option might be to sell the business and work as a consultant for it or part time, if feasible. .... to continue working it, seems foolish to share the profit with a absentee owner. Maybe if there were a definitive finish line and pot of gold at the end. This is really the only way the business could be sold ... as a new owner would have no clue how to manage it.
^^^
He can't delegate some of the work he's responsible for to others so he can do this while still keeping the business?
This would be ideal but it's hard to give up control not knowing how employees will handle the freedom of being unsupervised.
Excellent crew but imo, human nature tends to have people do as little as possible when not supervised (not in every case).
Maybe the owner needs to stop caring so much about the success of the business and satisfaction of the customers, step away, and let the chips fall where they may.

to continue working it, seems foolish to share the profit with a absentee owner. Maybe if there were a definitive finish line and pot of gold at the end. This is really the only way the business could be sold ... as a new owner would have no clue how to manage it.
I’ve never done it, but a good friend sold his veterinary business and continued to work in it for a few years. It worked well for him. Of course, the buyer was already in the business and the business isn’t unique. But he seems very happy with his decision and is now fully retired.

to continue working it, seems foolish to share the profit with a absentee owner. Maybe if there were a definitive finish line and pot of gold at the end. This is really the only way the business could be sold ... as a new owner would have no clue how to manage it.
I’ve never done it, but a good friend sold his veterinary business and continued to work in it for a few years. It worked well for him. Of course, the buyer was already in the business and the business isn’t unique. But he seems very happy with his decision and is now fully retired.
I purchased my business 8 years ago after working in it for 10 years. Owners stayed on for an additional year to show me the ropes behind the scenes. Partially seller financed. Could be an option for you if you trust the person you’re selling to.

Agree. Normally, people are a lot more active in their 60's than their 70's and beyond.

In my experience it's pretty normal to give two weeks notice and then be shown the door that day, with pay through those two weeks. I was actually surprised at my last job as I was not going to a direct competitor and was expecting to help transition my accounts to another rep over at least the next week, but I was locked out of company systems within 90 minutes of giving my notice.
I gave my notice in September. My consulting contract to aid in the transition was just extended a 3rd time til 6/30 and I've been advised to prepare for one more. This is an unusual situation, but thought it was worth sharing.

Maybe the owner needs to stop caring so much about the success of the business and satisfaction of the customers, step away, and let the chips fall where they may.
This. If the owner is selling it doesn't really matter what happens after that. The owner is retired and on to other things and the business he no longer owns shouldn't be of concern. However, a lot of owners can't do that (let go) so they never leave. The business can/will go on without them......or it won't.

IMO it comes down to whether the business energized the person, ... Not much. There is a sense of responsibility that creates some energy but not "excited to be there".
they create value in the community, ... Yes, niche business and the only game in town ... for about 40 miles. Certainly a value to the community.
and whether they’re able to do other things they want. ....Some things but limited to intervals of 1 week at a time about 3 or 4 times a year. Still with the business in the back of the mind during.
A great option might be to sell the business and work as a consultant for it or part time, if feasible. .... to continue working it, seems foolish to share the profit with a absentee owner. Maybe if there were a definitive finish line and pot of gold at the end. This is really the only way the business could be sold ... as a new owner would have no clue how to manage it.
^^^

Sounds like the owner has trouble letting go based on the last answer. If he wants more than "limited intervals of 1 week at a time..." for vacations and get aways that mindset has to be let go.

Users who are viewing this thread