What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The movie experience has to change (1 Viewer)

I used to go to the theater just because of the long wait for things to move to streaming. Seems like everything now is streaming within a month or less, sometimes as soon as it leaves the theater. I don't see myself going back to a theater unless it's something my daughter really wants to see. Almost got roped into taking her to see the Taylor Swift movie but when she found out it was >3 hrs long she opted to wait for it to hit streaming.

My wife and I still enjoy the dinner and movie experience. Only requirement is the reclining seats. We try to go once a month or so. Went and saw Cabrini last weekend. Great story but bad movie. Like using apps for all fast food, i recommend movie points for pay. We used Regal point to get free stuff and free tickets.

My house has more comfortable seats, a screen nearly as sharp and bright, and I can pause to go to the bathroom or rewind to hear missed dialog. What benefit does the theater have? Shoehorned in next to strangers is a plus??
I highly doubt your home set up is anywhere near the size and quality of the audio-visuals at a move theater.
Unless it’s some exploding action movie why does it matter?

I still love going to the movie theatre. It's an outing. I like getting out and doing stuff with my wife. The reason we don't go more is the decline of movies that appeal to us. I've never been a fan of the superhero movies which dominated the theatres for year. I miss the days of numerous comedies and variety. Growing up in the 80's was an amazing time to be alive and going to the movies.

I still love going to the movie theatre. It's an outing. I like getting out and doing stuff with my wife. The reason we don't go more is the decline of movies that appeal to us. I've never been a fan of the superhero movies which dominated the theatres for year. I miss the days of numerous comedies and variety. Growing up in the 80's was an amazing time to be alive and going to the movies.
💯
Hollywood doesn't seem to have come to grips with this. The latest "why did it bomb?" is The Fall Guy. The simple answer is that it actually wasn't very good.

Q: What's big, red, and eats rocks?
A: A Big Red Rock Eater.

Sometimes things are overanalyzed.

Hard agree. The superhero thing in particular feels like an entire lost decade culturally.

The bad news, of course, is that now we're going to be treated to a non-stop parade of movies based on toys from our childhood. Idiocracy was a documentary.

Hard agree. The superhero thing in particular feels like an entire lost decade culturally.

The bad news, of course, is that now we're going to be treated to a non-stop parade of movies based on toys from our childhood. Idiocracy was a documentary.
Yeah but if we really can go to Starbucks and get...oh nevermind. :oldunsure:

Like GI Joe and Transformers?!! :excited:

My house has more comfortable seats, a screen nearly as sharp and bright, and I can pause to go to the bathroom or rewind to hear missed dialog. What benefit does the theater have? Shoehorned in next to strangers is a plus??
I highly doubt your home set up is anywhere near the size and quality of the audio-visuals at a move theater.
It certainly enhances those movies more but bigger screen and better audio makes almost any movie better. Just saw Uncut Gems in imax and the sound was insane- was so much more of a full experience than I get watching it at home with my Atmos system.

For the last two years I have been going to a small chain theater called The Paragon on Tuesday nights only for $5 tickets on first run movies.

Brand new, reclining seats, full Dolby Atmos surround.

No brainer.

I won’t ever pay 15-20 bucks a ticket ever again. It’s not worth the BS.

This Tuesday we are seeing Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. Next Tuesday Mad Max.

I think my home system does quite well with action. 110" screen. 11 speakers. It's magical 😂

Worst No. 1 Opening in Three Decades​

The bad news doesn't end there: overall revenue for the four-day holiday also hits a 29-year low and is down a steep 36 percent from last year.

I know there is a mad max contingent here that puts it on the level of the Godfather,but never saw the appeal. Maybe this puts that franchise out of its misery

The bad news doesn't end there: overall revenue for the four-day holiday also hits a 29-year low and is down a steep 36 percent from last year.

I know there is a mad max contingent here that puts it on the level of the Godfather,but never saw the appeal. Maybe this puts that franchise out of its misery
Sacrilege!!!!

I think there is a ton working against movie theaters here.

Obviously streaming continues to get more and more popular, as Netflix continues to bring in more and more subscribers. People seem to be spending elsewhere too. AAA reporting that this is looking like it will be the busiest travel weekend in history, so seems like people would rather travel and stream then go to the theater.

Writers strike definitely hurt as well as it pushed back a few big movies from May to summer, and from summer to next year. I believe Deadpool x Wolverine was initially supposed to be the big May release, but got pushed to July. And then the big July release (Mission Impossible) got pushed to next year.

Furiosa I don't think was supposed to be some huge release. Fury Road was more of a critical success than box office success. It did $45M opening weekend and that was 10 years ago when streaming was much less of a competitor. So Furiosa is down from that, but not will probably land somewhere around $35M-ish.

It's all relative, though. Like back in the 1990s, a TV show getting "only" 8 million viewers would have been on the brink of being canceled. Now it's a top-10 show. Having a low-turnout but still being #1 is a good indicator that it'll do fine when put on streaming, and if a movie makes money in that venue, the franchise might continue.

I
I think my home system does quite well with action. 110" screen. 11 speakers. It's magical 😂

Oh we love our home theater as well. I have a stupid extensive blue ray and 4K collection.

Nothing like watching top shelf media on a great 4K tv and sound system in the comfort of your home.

Right there with you man.

it is hard to believe that going to the theater is going to remain a viable thing as we move forward in life. i just think that the cost and experience is not worth the effort. i want to be around less people, not more.
The cost is the thing for me.... if I go and take my kids (3 of them) it is almost $80 just to get in. Then let's say we didn't sneak candy in.... drinks, popcorn and candy and you spend another $60 for drinks, a candy each and one big popcorn to share.... $140 for a movie.

The only time we go to the movies now is during the summer on Tuesdays when they have specials.... tickets to get in $24 and then a free small popcorn or get a big popcorn and drink for $12 (normally $17) Share them with the kids (free refills on drinks) and get candy from the store for like $5 (usually go to the Dollar Tree and they pick out one each)..... $41 is acceptable for a movie here and there.

For me, it is purely the cost of going to the movies that makes it something I don't do.

Out of curiosity, I just went on to see the Mad Max movie.... it is about 80% empty for tickets on a showing in about 30 minutes from now.

The latest "why did it bomb?" is The Fall Guy. The simple answer is that it actually wasn't very good.
Idk the reviews were really good and so were the audience scores. 81% and 86% on rotten tomatoes. Pretty big star at the top of the bill. That one is weird to me.

We are planning to watch it tonight which I guess also explains why the theaters are getting crushed. $20 total lol

The latest "why did it bomb?" is The Fall Guy. The simple answer is that it actually wasn't very good.
Idk the reviews were really good and so were the audience scores. Pretty big star at the top of the bill. That one is weird to me. We are planning to watch it tonight which I guess also explains why the theaters are getting crushed. $20 total lol
I saw it. For me, there were just to many scenes that either went too long/ended abruptly and too many moments of "wait, how did we get here?".

Idk the reviews were really good and so were the audience scores. Pretty big star at the top of the bill. That one is weird to me. We are planning to watch it tonight which I guess also explains why the theaters are getting crushed. $20 total lol
I saw it. For me, there were just to many scenes that either went too long/ended abruptly and too many moments of "wait, how did we get here?".
Hmmm well I was excited to see it tonight but maybe not.

Hmmm well I was excited to see it tonight but maybe not.
Hey man, what do I really know? :lol: My wife liked it.

Is it sufficient for watching at home to while away a couple hours? Sure. Both Gosling and Blunt are easy on the eyes.

Last edited:
Idk the reviews were really good and so were the audience scores. 81% and 86% on rotten tomatoes. Pretty big star at the top of the bill. That one is weird to me.

We are planning to watch it tonight which I guess also explains why the theaters are getting crushed. $20 total lol
I have 0% faith in reviews.

Lowest Memorial Day opening for a #1 Movie since Casper the Movie opened on Memorial Day weekend in 1995, 30 years ago
OUCH!

Can you imagine in 1985, a weekend where they said a movie hasn't premiered that low since almost 1955?
The Covid in 2020 changed the entire mindset of people and quite frankly it's not just the money but the laziness...it's too easy to stay home and this is similar w/restaurants.

I don't go to malls because I don't like crowds, movie theaters have always been a struggle with the rudeness of people who frequent them.
AMC stock has to be one of the more dangerous ones to own these days.

I do miss the El Capitan and many others from my time in Los Angeles and Southern California, most of the theaters in Florida are total crap

I mean until you watch the movie what else is there to go off of. When audience reviews and critical reviews meet positively I’ll generally give it a chance.

I mean until you watch the movie what else is there to go off of. When audience reviews and critical reviews meet positively I’ll generally give it a chance.
I got ya.... I just generally decide based on what I genre I am interested in or not and then give it a go.... I never look up reviews either professional or populace.

If I am going to the movies now then it is going to be for a movie that I was really looking forward to (which use to be Star Wars or Marvel until Disney has devolved them into 'I hope this isn't bad' on each release) or a kids movie which is simply for my kids enjoyment. Otherwise, I wait until I can see it at home which if it is that bad, I change it to something else.

got ya.... I just generally decide based on what I genre I am interested in or not and then give it a go.... I never look up reviews either professional or populace.
Yea I hear ya. I didn’t go see the lord of the rings movies because I didn’t like the first one so there’s definitely stuff I skip just because I know it’s not in my wheelhouse but something like the fall guy which is a pretty general idea I’ll seek out reviews first. Doesn’t mean I’ll like it but also gives me a decent idea.

My wife’s favorite complaint is we saw Birdman based off the exceptional reviews and she absolutely loathed it. She brings it up often now when I say hey this movie is supposed to be good lol (I liked that one).

I put out a thread/review for The Fall Guy. I liked it a lot and explained why.
I put out a review for Furiosa in the George Miller DOTM thread. I didn't think it was good.

💯
Hollywood doesn't seem to have come to grips with this. The latest "why did it bomb?" is The Fall Guy. The simple answer is that it actually wasn't very good.

Q: What's big, red, and eats rocks?
A: A Big Red Rock Eater.

Sometimes things are overanalyzed.
I watched this Saturday - OnDemand. I had seen that it had been reviewed quite well.

Liked both the leads.

Fact of the matter is that 25 years ago, this would have been a 2.5 start rated movie, and been deemed disposable. The 'Bird on a Wire' of it's era. But the bar of what passes as good now a wide basis seems to have been quite a I bit lowered. And many of the indie movies that are available OnDemand are much better.

That said, I saw this in my home 22 days after it was released in US theatres but it was available 17 days after a wide release. How can a theatre experience compete with that?

Someone nailed it 3-4 posts into this thread. The movie content just isn't as good. I can't even remember the last movie I was dying to see.

The last movie I went to was Five Nights at Freddies because my kids were big fans. Things weren't looking great pre-covid. There is little to no originality anymore.

Why are tv series so good with often a fraction of the budget, and movies can't make a compelling product?

Seems like there needs to be an evolution in the movie seeing experience - lots of movies failing at the box office. Maybe some type of subscription model where you get one viewing at home. Any ideas.

and I still want my butter drenched popcorn
Hollywood just needs to make better movies. What don’t you like about the experience? I still think it’s great.

Someone nailed it 3-4 posts into this thread. The movie content just isn't as good. I can't even remember the last movie I was dying to see.

The last movie I went to was Five Nights at Freddies because my kids were big fans. Things weren't looking great pre-covid. There is little to no originality anymore.

Yep. TV shows have taken the baton and give us the content quality that movies don't. I can't remember the last movie I wanted to see in theaters.

Lowest Memorial Day opening for a #1 Movie since Casper the Movie opened on Memorial Day weekend in 1995, 30 years ago
OUCH!

Can you imagine in 1985, a weekend where they said a movie hasn't premiered that low since almost 1955?
The Covid in 2020 changed the entire mindset of people and quite frankly it's not just the money but the laziness...it's too easy to stay home and this is similar w/restaurants.

I don't go to malls because I don't like crowds, movie theaters have always been a struggle with the rudeness of people who frequent them.

I do miss the El Capitan and many others from my time in Los Angeles and Southern California, most of the theaters in Florida are total crap
I remember there used to be massive action movie hype for Memorial Day. Feels like Hollywood doesn’t care about that anymore.

We saw IF this weekend. Liked it, but wasn’t some massively hyped up movie I couldn’t wait to go see.

Why are tv series so good with often a fraction of the budget, and movies can't make a compelling product?
Matt Damon was on a podcast a while back explaining that star salaries and advertising for the movies got too expensive. Production companies had to scale back on both and were only picking scripts they knew would be profitable. The Asian market eats up the marvel / fast and furious stuff, so that is why they produce so many of those movies.

This year is rough due to the writers strike. I thought there were a lot of really good to outstanding movies in 2023: Oppenheimer, Mission Impossible, Killers of the Flower Moon, Zone of Interest, Anatomy of a Fall, Spiderverse, Past Lives, The Holdovers, Air, Blackberry, Asteroid City, Barbie, Are You There God It’s Me Margaret, Poor Things, Rye Lane, Scrapper, May December, Society of the Snow, All of Us Strangers, The Iron Claw.

2023 was the best movie year since 2019 and one of the better of the last 20 years.

I think as cool special effects and standout actors have become saturated, the longtail format of TV for storytelling and character development is something that movies just can't compete with.

You just can't tell the same kind of story or develop characters in the same way in a 2 hour movie as you can in a 10 hour TV season. To trump that, movies used to beat TV with better acting and much better special effects, but that advantage is mostly gone now.

There are plenty of good actors doing TV now, so that advantage is out the window, and cool special effects are easy enough to do now and widely available that people care about them less, AND on top of that TV shows can do them almost as good as movies even on a limited budget.

If Independence Day were released today no one would give a crap about it. There are a zillion movies and TV shows with sky beams and explosions and witty well delivered dialogue now. Everything has great effects so that is no longer a trump card, and story/characters are the way to really stand out now, and that's just much more difficult to develop in a short movie than a long TV show.

Went to see Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes about a week or two with my son. I'm not sure I'll be going back to the movies anytime soon. Tickets were $15 each, and then with small popcorns, 2 bottles of water, and a candy for him it was another $35.

A group of 10 or so teenagers in the theater, talking, laughing, and running around. A middle-aged lady looking at her phone in the row ahead of us, the light from which was very distracting. A couple of people went out to complain about the teenagers, but not much was done (theater employee walked in and looked around once). Then my son said it sounded like one of the teenagers was beating up another one in the walkway back to the lobby area ( I didn't notice it). I didn't think the picture quality on screen was very good. Way too many commercials after the previews before the movie itself began.

Just not worth it to spend that kind of money (and that was just for two of us) and have to deal with inconsiderate people who don't know (or care about) how to behave in public. Not worth the aggravation.

OUCH!

I remember there used to be massive action movie hype for Memorial Day. Feels like Hollywood doesn’t care about that anymore.

We saw IF this weekend. Liked it, but wasn’t some massively hyped up movie I couldn’t wait to go see.
Before.... back in the day..... there were certain weekends/holidays that absolutely increased movie attendance and the studios would time them for that to try to get the biggest bang for their buck out of them.

Now, with attendance so low.... I can see where it isn't as big of a push. But didn't Furiosa come out this weekend?

Went to see Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes about a week or two with my son. I'm not sure I'll be going back to the movies anytime soon. Tickets were $15 each, and then with small popcorns, 2 bottles of water, and a candy for him it was another $35.

A group of 10 or so teenagers in the theater, talking, laughing, and running around. A middle-aged lady looking at her phone in the row ahead of us, the light from which was very distracting. A couple of people went out to complain about the teenagers, but not much was done (theater employee walked in and looked around once). Then my son said it sounded like one of the teenagers was beating up another one in the walkway back to the lobby area ( I didn't notice it). I didn't think the picture quality on screen was very good. Way too many commercials after the previews before the movie itself began.

Just not worth it to spend that kind of money (and that was just for two of us) and have to deal with inconsiderate people who don't know (or care about) how to behave in public. Not worth the aggravation.
Except I would have yelled at the kids and asked the lady to turn her phone tint down. :gang2:

It's hard to read, sad to digest and yet I know it's true and likely the experience for a lot of folks.
Not sure what the answer is

OUCH!

Before.... back in the day..... there were certain weekends/holidays that absolutely increased movie attendance and the studios would time them for that to try to get the biggest bang for their buck out of them.

Now, with attendance so low.... I can see where it isn't as big of a push. But didn't Furiosa come out this weekend?
Yes it did and it massively underperformed at just $25M for Fri-Sat-Sun, I might be a couple million over/under but that number is close and tiny for a holiday weekend.
It used to be routine that Memorial Day would kick start the summer run of movies, that weekend was ideal for Star Wars to launch a long run over the summer months
To see a number that hasn't been as low since 1996 is frightening IMHO

Again, i don't have the solution to all of this

I love going to the movies but I usually try to avoid first week of release and Saturday nights. Love catching a weekday matinee. Theater down the street has a Tuesday matinee special for $15. Ticket, small popcorn, box of candy and a small soda.

Except I would have yelled at the kids and asked the lady to turn her phone tint down. :gang2:
Yeah, but we shouldn't have to do that. People should be able to conduct themselves properly in public.

When you read about 4 kids getting randomly stabbed at a movie theater in MA this week, you realize how quickly things can turn bad and then add confrontation in. No thanks. I'll just wait and watch stuff at home.

OUCH!

I believe Deadpool x Wolverine was originally supposed to be the big Memorial Day release but it got delayed with the writer's strike.

Not trying to be funny here but if you do that in Florida you may get shot.

Not trying to be funny here but if you do that in Florida you may get shot.
Yep, happened in a suburb just North of Tampa, maybe Wesley Chapel?
Old dude didn't like young dude talking/texting or whatever disturbance and just plain shot him and killed him in the theater

got ya.... I just generally decide based on what I genre I am interested in or not and then give it a go.... I never look up reviews either professional or populace.
Yea I hear ya. I didn’t go see the lord of the rings movies because I didn’t like the first one so there’s definitely stuff I skip just because I know it’s not in my wheelhouse but something like the fall guy which is a pretty general idea I’ll seek out reviews first. Doesn’t mean I’ll like it but also gives me a decent idea.

My wife’s favorite complaint is we saw Birdman based off the exceptional reviews and she absolutely loathed it. She brings it up often now when I say hey this movie is supposed to be good lol (I liked that one).
lol, my wife enjoyed birdman

Users who are viewing this thread