What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The movie experience has to change (1 Viewer)

For all the talk that is easily the biggest issue for me...there is a bigger and bigger gap between the entertainment industry and mainstream audiences...just keep it freakin' simple and entertain me (Maverick is the perfect example)...and for many movies you don't need overpriced "stars" or over-the-top special effects or some deep message...give me some "Brothers McMullen" stuff that is cheap to make and fun to watch.

:confused:

Maverick was a very expensive movie and had the highest paid star in the industry (by an absurd amount, Tom Cruise made 3x what the next closest actor made that year).

You did not read that correctly (or I was not clear)...my first point was keeping it simple and entertaining which Maverick does...my second point is not every movie has to have stars and be over the top...two different points.

Past Lives was fantastic. It’s a modern love story. Some laughs but mostly a thoughtful look at relationships and how they change as people change and what it means to know someone. Sure it won’t lose much A/V wise at home but it’s also the kind of movie I’m sure at home many would reach for their phone several times and then wonder what all the fuss was about. Being forced to engage fully the whole time is what really makes a movie like this.

Is this the thread where old guys come to complain about stuff and talk about how things were better "back in my day"?
Not really, no. It's more about how movie theaters have struggled to keep up with the times, e.g. streaming.

Edit: I mean, is it not universally understood that movie theaters are in serious trouble and are probably dying out for good? What a weird thing to hit with the "get off my lawn" trope.
Plus it’s been practically the opposite for most people - embracing the new technology (streaming) and saying the theater experience is antiquated.

One more thing... There are certain movies that have left a deeper impression on me, having watched in the theatre, than they would have watching at home. I remember watching Saving Private Ryan with a buddy 25 years ago, munching on popcorn and nachos just prior to the movie starting. Then, the opening scene was jaw-dropping. I don't think I've ever watched a movie where the events unfolding on-screen caused me (and pretty much everyone else around me) to not touch their concessions for a good 10-minute span. Then, when the ending credits ran, I remember hearing the old man a few rows behind me quietly weeping. It was something I'll never forget.

Conversely, watching Hostel from the front row of a theatre one time was also something I'll never forget. Different type of memory, but definitely unforgettable nonetheless. :scream:

Totally....I was a little hung over and went to see that by myself. Watching that opening scene I broke into a sweat, felt nauseous, and just kept hoping the scene would end. Don't think I've ever experienced anything like that in a movie, before or since. Such a powerful scene. Wouldn't have been the same at home.

I only care to watch action movies where the action and surround sound really enhances the experience. For example, I did go see Top Gun: Maverick in the theater and am glad I did. Similarly, I made it a point to go and see Avatar 3D (horrible movie but for the visual 3D experience) and Max Mad: Fury Road in the theater and I'll probably go see the new Dune in the theater.

Reasons contributing to why the closing of theaters wouldn't impact me much at all and why 99% of the time I'd rather watch a movie at home:

1. At home technology - I have like a 90 inch TV and our own surround sound so, frankly, for most movies the visual experience is pretty close. These things were also not cheap so I'd rather get my use out of something I paid for.
2. Kids - I got young kids, and they can't sit still for 90 minutes.
3. Better date options - Having kids and given the cost of babysitters, my wife and I really value our dates. So, we'd much rather do interactive things on them such as going to a nice dinner, playing golf* or frisbee golf, axe throwing, or getting drinks with friends. In other words, sitting in silence watching a movie doesn't seem like the best way for us to maximize the time where it's just the two of us as, at least several nights during the week, we kind of do this together already as we will watch a show together after putting the kids down and before our bedtime.
4. I'd rather eat my own food and drink my own alcohol.
5. Pause button - huge for taking a phone call, going to the bathroom, etc. Hate to say it but I want things to adjust to my schedule and availability and not the other way around.

I actually don't really mind sitting around other people in a theater so I didn't include that as a reason.

I mean…….even the kids movies stink these days. What happened to Pixar? Turning Red, Lightyear and Elemental were their last 3. I’ve seen all three cause I have two young kids. They were OK but compared to some of their previous efforts, they were straight garbage.
Eh, I think Pixar knocked it so far out of the park with movies like Wall-E it is just unreasonably to expect them to maintain that sort of quality.

I watched Wall-E with two of my kids last night and it's simply incredible how their attentions are still kept by a movie with almost no dialog the first 45 minutes or whatever. That said, they do seem to be equally entertained by a movie like Turning Red.

Yes, it was the holiday weekend which is traditionally a bit slow. But the box office was dismal. Did anyone really expect people to go see Poor Things?

Aquaman... Oof.

Went to see Wonka yesterday, theater was fairly full but so many people there weren't watching the movie. On their phones watching Tik Tok's, watching a football game and the amount of folks having a running dialogue through the whole movie was off the charts. Not a good theater experience.

Movie was meh to me, not a big musical guy and this was 100% a musical.

The Color Purple remake was packed judging from the folks coming out right after our movie ended. Migration not so much.

Honestly it's the cost that makes attending anything in person unattractive. Same as sports events. I have a closer seat in my house. I have better cheaper food in my house. I don't pay for parking in my house. I don't have to drive 30 mins each way staying home. We've got plenty of money to do it. It's simply a negative experience.

The quality of televisions has made going to events pretty useless. I only go for the social scene, and movies don't have that like say a college football game. At some point travel is the next thing that will go. Pretty soon you'll be able to experience Rome, Paris, etc wearing goggles, and save yourself hotel and airfare costs. I'm sure you can already, but it's not quality yet. Unless there is a social experience (ie family beach week), it's all simply too expensive to be worth what you get out of it.

Honestly it's the cost that makes attending anything in person unattractive. Same as sports events. I have a closer seat in my house. I have better cheaper food in my house. I don't pay for parking in my house. I don't have to drive 30 mins each way staying home. We've got plenty of money to do it. It's simply wasteful. I'd say sports events and movies ... being at the actual event is a negative experience.

The quality of televisions has made going to events pretty useless. I only go for the social scene, and movies don't have that like say a college football game. At some point travel is the next thing that will go. Pretty soon you'll be able to experience Rome, Paris, etc wearing goggles, and save yourself hotel and airfare costs. I'm sure you can already, but it's not quality yet. Unless there is a social experience (ie family beach week), it's all simply too expensive to be worth what you get out of it.
I invested in a projector and mid-high tier surround system over the years to avoid going...... LOVE IT

I will say the wife and I have been hitting up 11am Friday movies and that has been pretty nice - handful of people - cheaper prices and don't have to deal with schmucks sitting around us.

We've only gone to a couple as there is not a ton out we would like to go see

Honestly it's the cost that makes attending anything in person unattractive. Same as sports events. I have a closer seat in my house. I have better cheaper food in my house. I don't pay for parking in my house. I don't have to drive 30 mins each way staying home. We've got plenty of money to do it. It's simply a negative experience.

I agree on the movies for sure. Somewhat on the sports (although the energy and feel of a good game in a packed venue is often worth it).

But travel virtually? We can already see pictures and video of everything. You cannot replace the entire sensory experience of visiting the Grand Canyon or Statue of Liberty in person, much less cities like Paris, London, Rome, Barcelona, etc. No way is that going to be replaced except by people already looking for an excuse to sit in their basements.

I still love going to the movies. Seeing trailers you didn't expect to see. Seeing a movie before social media or just friends spoil it. Getting laughs and gasps from the audience you are with.

That said, took the kids to Wonka yesterday (which I enjoyed), but with "dinner" and tickets for the three of us, ran $120. Normally, I'm not someone who cares about that part of it, but it seemed to hit home a little harder yesterday on if we got value for our money.

Honestly it's the cost that makes attending anything in person unattractive. Same as sports events. I have a closer seat in my house. I have better cheaper food in my house. I don't pay for parking in my house. I don't have to drive 30 mins each way staying home. We've got plenty of money to do it. It's simply wasteful. I'd say sports events and movies ... being at the actual event is a negative experience.

I invested in a projector and mid-high tier surround system over the years to avoid going...... LOVE IT

I will say the wife and I have been hitting up 11am Friday movies and that has been pretty nice - handful of people - cheaper prices and don't have to deal with schmucks sitting around us.

The downside was my experience watching Maverick. Went to a morning matinee, and three other people showed up, together, and talked through the whole movie. But I was the only other person in the theater so I was outnumbered by talkers.

The downside was my experience watching Maverick. Went to a morning matinee, and three other people showed up, together, and talked through the whole movie. But I was the only other person in the theater so I was outnumbered by talkers.
That's bad odds lol

I don’t disagree about any of this but I think there’s a down side to staying home in the distractions. The ability to pause a movie, or just switch to something else on a whim probably causes me to miss out on some quality content. I’m pretty sure I’ll never sit through 3+ hours of Oppenheimer or Killers of the Flower Moon on my couch.

I don’t disagree about any of this but I think there’s a down side to staying home in the distractions. The ability to pause a movie, or just switch to something else on a whim probably causes me to miss out on some quality content. I’m pretty sure I’ll never sit through 3+ hours of Oppenheimer or Killers of the Flower Moon on my couch.
I actually just watched Deer Hunter (3 hours) a couple of days ago, and it was fine. I understand where you're coming from with long movies, but the good ones hold up well even today.

On the other hand, I do feel that some of the longer epics that are being made today are kind of self-indulgent and would benefit from some editing. I'm thinking here specifically of The Irishman, which was a pretty good 2 1/2 hour movie saddled with an extra hour of running time. I haven't seen Killers of the Flower Moon yet, but the reviews of that one have been pretty similar. Contrast that with Deer Hunter, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Godfather, etc. Those movies also take their time and include very long sections of character development early in the film, but they move slowly and intentionally. The Irishman never felt like it had any sense of intentionality about it.

Cost of the experience, streaming turn around time and improved quality of home theatres are killing the theatre crowds. I don't know if there's a real cure for that; particularly in regards to getting crowd levels back to even 2019 levels. I guess the studios could throttle streaming home release....but I'm sure they take "streaming release date" into account in regards to their profitiabilty charts on a particular movie.

I agree on the movies for sure. Somewhat on the sports (although the energy and feel of a good game in a packed venue is often worth it).

But travel virtually? We can already see pictures and video of everything. You cannot replace the entire sensory experience of visiting the Grand Canyon or Statue of Liberty in person, much less cities like Paris, London, Rome, Barcelona, etc. No way is that going to be replaced except by people already looking for an excuse to sit in their basements.

I assume he's talking about significantly improved VR for travel, not just video on a TV like we have now, but I agree with you I don't think travel will head that direction. Maybe in the very distant future when they're able to create nearly completely realistic VR, but that won't be anywhere near our lifetimes. Travel has been on the complete opposite trend of theaters. A straight line upwards smashing through new records every day.

Had a similar experience with the new Trolls movie. A mother brought her toddler who didn’t even watch the movie. Instead he ran up and down the aisle and stairs and talked the entire time. The mother did minimal to stop it. If it were me, I would have left the theatre if my child behaved like that. It ruined the experience for everyone there. I get it’s a kids movie and there is more of this allowed, but this was ridiculous. Also, all the parents on their phones. It’s so distracting.

Had a similar experience with the new Trolls movie. A mother brought her toddler who didn’t even watch the movie. Instead he ran up and down the aisle and stairs and talked the entire time. The mother did minimal to stop it. If it were me, I would have left the theatre if my child behaved like that. It ruined the experience for everyone there. I get it’s a kids movie and there is more of this allowed, but this was ridiculous. Also, all the parents on their phones. It’s so distracting.
A few months ago we went to see the new SAW movie. Pretty dead showing. A non-English speaking couple walks in (I am thinking Vietnamese) and they proceed to talk on their phones at full volume. Then we hear this noise and I was like "No Way!!" They brought their baby with them!! Then the baby begins to wail and they do nothing. This is a rated R horror movie and it was totally ruined by the inconsiderate actions of these two people.

We do our best to go to the first showing because they usually are dead. We recently went to Godzilla Minus One (which was a great movie BTW) ,but there was still a group of four that came in and decided to talk. There is some psychological study that could be made that when people find themselves in a theater with just a few other people. that they somehow believe the rules are relaxed and they can talk at normal volume.

Other than big action movies, we usually stay home and wait for VOD.

Cost of the experience, streaming turn around time and improved quality of home theatres are killing the theatre crowds. I don't know if there's a real cure for that; particularly in regards to getting crowd levels back to even 2019 levels. I guess the studios could throttle streaming home release....but I'm sure they take "streaming release date" into account in regards to their profitiabilty charts on a particular movie.
The writers strike is what’s going to hurt them in 2024. Also they seem to be in a transitional stage. For awhile they could just churn out the same super hero movies and clean up. Audiences now see done with them and Hollywood will need to get more creative.

I actually just watched Deer Hunter (3 hours) a couple of days ago, and it was fine. I understand where you're coming from with long movies, but the good ones hold up well even today.

On the other hand, I do feel that some of the longer epics that are being made today are kind of self-indulgent and would benefit from some editing. I'm thinking here specifically of The Irishman, which was a pretty good 2 1/2 hour movie saddled with an extra hour of running time. I haven't seen Killers of the Flower Moon yet, but the reviews of that one have been pretty similar. Contrast that with Deer Hunter, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Godfather, etc. Those movies also take their time and include very long sections of character development early in the film, but they move slowly and intentionally. The Irishman never felt like it had any sense of intentionality about it.

I don’t know what reviews you read but I very much disagree with them. Killers of the Flower Moon is awesome. And it never drags. Did not seem like 3.5 hours. Fantastic movie.

Movies we have seen recently in the theatre (Tuesday night $5 movie nights at the Paragon)

Oppenheimer
Indiana Jones and The Dial of Destiny
The Nun II
Saw X
Godzilla Minus One
New Hunger Games

It’s been really good because Tuesday nights 6-7pm showings are dead. Even with the $5 ticket price (hence why it’s on Tuesday nights).

We have had a "theater going" renaissance thanks to this theater......otherwise forget it. With our 4KHDTV and 4K Blue Ray and Bose sound system we are golden at home. I own 100’s of Blue Ray and 4K movies of all my favorites.....plus of course the streaming services. But nothing tops a big screen experience in a great brand new theater with a killer sound system and polite people.

I could not even imagine going to a theater on a weekend anymore. Done with that BS.

The only thing theaters have going for it is the bigger screen, but I have zero complaints about my home setup.

I’m also noticing myself becoming more of a curmudgeon over the years, with people in public annoying me more and more with the stuff they do. Theaters just amplify this times ten.

As a child of the 80s, theaters were a magical experience. But that’s changed. People have more distractions that make their behavior annoying (cell phones, etc), have to deal with people continuing to go out in public while sick during a pandemic spreading their filth, and they show way too many commercials before the movie. No thanks.

This must be the old grumpy dude get off my lawn thread.

Movie theaters are awesome. There is no substitute for a movie experience than at a theater. I love going.

If there are people that are being distractions, try a different theater. I promise they aren’t all like this. I rarely find people being distracting when I go.

Movie theaters are awesome. There is no substitute for a movie experience than at a theater. I love going.

If there are people that are being distractions, try a different theater. I promise they aren’t all like this. I rarely find people being distracting when I go.

It definitely does boil down to being around other people for me despite other complaints. If you could guarantee me that I’m the only one in the theater, I’d go all the time.

It definitely does boil down to being around other people for me despite other complaints. If you could guarantee me that I’m the only one in the theater, I’d go all the time.
Probably a little pricy, but a fan of renting a theater for a family and friends movie night. That way if someone starts acting up you can ***** them out without getting into a fist fight. Hopefully.

Yeah I go pretty often and almost never encounter anything distracting. People never talk. Also it’s weird to hear people say they would prefer nobody else be in the theater. I hate that. I want a full house. It adds so much more energy.

I don’t know what reviews you read but I very much disagree with them. Killers of the Flower Moon is awesome. And it never drags. Did not seem like 3.5 hours. Fantastic movie.
Glad you liked it.

At some point travel is the next thing that will go. Pretty soon you'll be able to experience Rome, Paris, etc wearing goggles, and save yourself hotel and airfare costs
Doubt it. Travel numbers are doing the opposite of this.

I don't want to be on my couch this much. VR headset to experience Italy? Nah

Yeah I go pretty often and almost never encounter anything distracting. People never talk. Also it’s weird to hear people say they would prefer nobody else be in the theater. I hate that. I want a full house. It adds so much more energy.
For horror movies, it's the best

For horror movies, it's the best
Same for comedies. Laughing is contagious and best done with others.

I will say that most of the movies I go see now days are at EVO Entertainment theaters. Their recliner seats are set up in such a way that you can't even see the row behind you or in front of you, and plenty of walkway on your row to not even touch people in full recline on your row. They even have two person "pods" for more privacy, in the middle of the theater.

Might be a little more bougie than other theaters, but the tickets are only a couple dollars more, and I barely notice anyone else in the theater. Worth it for the experience. Can't remember the last time I bought a ticket to a show that didn't have a specific seat for it.

I will say that most of the movies I go see now days are at EVO Entertainment theaters. Their recliner seats are set up in such a way that you can't even see the row behind you or in front of you, and plenty of walkway on your row to not even touch people in full recline on your row. They even have two person "pods" for more privacy, in the middle of the theater.

Might be a little more bougie than other theaters, but the tickets are only a couple dollars more, and I barely notice anyone else in the theater. Worth it for the experience. Can't remember the last time I bought a ticket to a show that didn't have a specific seat for it.
Our AMC has been this way for years

When I started the thread it was more about the economics. Lots of movies not covering their expenses. Either the physical experience of going to the theater needs a better value prop or they need a better delivery method

When my daughters came to town, we saw Godzilla Minus One at Regal in Miami Beach, a good experience on the big screen. The theater was almost empty, it's been that way since the summer blockbusters. We also saw Poor Things with Emma Stone, Mark Ruffalo, and Daffoe. Reviewers either hated it, many said they walked out, or loved it. My daughters, their female friend, and I liked the imagination, production, acting, some of the themes. Lots of sex, and naked Emma. Emma is deserving of an Oscar nomination for acting, Ruffalo was also great. But will they honor a movie that some consider softcore?

My LA daughter has the AMC pass and said the theaters there are more full.

Went to my first movie in years yesterday morning with my daughter and wife. Saw Migration.

Tickets were $5.75 each. Each seat was a power recliner with heated seats and a tray to hold the snacks. Which were about $20 for the three of us.

Maybe 15 people in there. It was great.

Took the family to Wonka today at an AMC with the recliners. It was great but no stadium seating an our cinema options is still a head scratcher. It is a theater that polices aholes so no worry there about talkers and texters. The $100 price tag for 4 with snacks is irritating. Still love the cinema when I can make it happen.

Argylle opening day was just $6.5m against a $200m budget.

That's what you get for throwing a digital cat at the camera, I guess. The previews were practically begging people NOT to see this movie.

I never to go the theater, but with the slow Feb sports schedule and the kids busy I decided it was a perfect chance to consume a disturbing quantity of edibles and go see Godzilla Minus One on the big screen. Only I couldn't find it anywhere. Here's the google entry:

Toho's American subsidiary Toho International released it in the United States with English subtitles on December 1,[106] making it their first theatrical stateside self-distribution.[114] It initially was shown in over 1,000 American theaters,[106] but was later extended to over 2,600 theaters on December 15.[115] Dave Filoni was in charge of a screening of the film at Lucasfilm on January 9, 2024, which Yamazaki attended.[116][117] The film eventually finished its U.S. release on February 1, 2024

WTH? I am not a movie guy so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure "hurry up and see it in the theaters while you can, otherwise you'll be stuck watching on your huge high def TV on the couch with cheap snacks and a pause button!" is the best way for the industry to win back consumers.

I never to go the theater, but with the slow Feb sports schedule and the kids busy I decided it was a perfect chance to consume a disturbing quantity of edibles and go see Godzilla Minus One on the big screen. Only I couldn't find it anywhere. Here's the google entry:

Toho's American subsidiary Toho International released it in the United States with English subtitles on December 1,[106] making it their first theatrical stateside self-distribution.[114] It initially was shown in over 1,000 American theaters,[106] but was later extended to over 2,600 theaters on December 15.[115] Dave Filoni was in charge of a screening of the film at Lucasfilm on January 9, 2024, which Yamazaki attended.[116][117] The film eventually finished its U.S. release on February 1, 2024

WTH? I am not a movie guy so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not sure "hurry up and see it in the theaters while you can, otherwise you'll be stuck watching on your huge high def TV on the couch with cheap snacks and a pause button!" is the best way for the industry to win back consumers.
I would assume it has to do with streaming deals that are likely made before the movie is released. This was a surprise hit so they probably got money upfront from some streamer to air it but those companies of course will usually pay less the longer the movie was out at theaters. So it becomes kind of a gamble and if you get a nice guaranteed check from a streamer you might take that instead of the risk/reward that comes at the theater. I think streaming is killing the movies and not necessarily for the obvious reason of the whole comfort at home. It’s stuff like this. People don’t know what’s at the the theater and what isn’t, great movies never hit the theaters and just get lost in the crowded ether of the streaming clouds, people want to see something but don’t have that particular service. The model is definitely going to change soon and my prediction is ends up being closer to what we had 20 years ago than what we have now.

Users who are viewing this thread