What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (4 Viewers)

Play with Fire

The Rolling Stones

(1967)

@Hov34 up, I think

Playin With Fire

Styles of Beyond ft. Apathy and Celph Titled

(2003)

I am not the biggest Stones guy, so I had never known anything about the original before I heard this one from SOB.  Loved the beat and the flows and several years ago I finally wondered where the hell that play with fire vocal sample came from and stumbled upon the stones song.  Really liked the way they looped the harpsichord and then pull in the vocal sample to have a smooth but dissonant and haunting feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been to a Springsteen concert but I imagine you are just physical and emotionally drained afterwards, yes?
Yes, but he does a good job picking and choosing his spots throughout. Right when your body is just screaming for a break he cuts in with Independence Day, Atlantic City, Incident, etc. 

I have never been to a Springsteen concert but I imagine you are just physical and emotionally drained afterwards, yes?
Yes, but he does a good job picking and choosing his spots throughout. Right when your body is just screaming for a break he cuts in with Independence Day, Atlantic City, Incident, etc. 
The last time I saw the Boss was 2007 on the Magic tour (the last tour with Danny Federici).  As I recall, the show was slower paced that the times I saw him in the 70s and 80s.  Springsteen.  If you compare recent setlists, he seems to do fewer songs but with some longer and usually slower songs to keep it over three hours.  He also talks between songs more than he used to.  It's still a great experience

I changed theme/location list from draft order to alphabetical.  Hopefully I didn't accidentally reassign any :bag:
I have no idea what bar I ended up in, but it's definitely not mine.  My weekend must have been wild and woolly.

I'm in Scholz Garten in Austin.

Does this draft seem a bit lacking in energy to anyone else?  Lots of skips and long pauses, not much discussion.  I don’t think it’s due to lack of interest, but something seems off.   :(  

Does this draft seem a bit lacking in energy to anyone else?  Lots of skips and long pauses, not much discussion.  I don’t think it’s due to lack of interest, but something seems off.   :(  
I am here quite a bit - I think the theme premise has pigeon-holed some (maybe many) of us to pick not the usual songs.  

Which is fine.  

Probably more than others here, I have a pretty locked set of group/song interests - and my picks are feeling comfortable ...yet predictable and stale.  

I'm liking going an entirely different direction and also not having to fret too much about my next pick getting sniped.  

But you nailed it ...the tension is not here for this draft ...which is fine.  

I'm liking going an entirely different direction and also not having to fret too much about my next pick getting sniped.  

But you nailed it ...the tension is not here for this draft ...which is fine.  
I feel the same about sniping.  For most years I have several options, so am not sweating it.  You’re right that the lack of tension on that can be a good thing!

3.14 The Roots (featuring Cody ChesnuTT) - The Seed 2.0

Loved this thing back in college and I'm pretty sure we played it at a few gatherings/house parties we threw back then. It doubles as a great jukebox song anyway, but it's great for get togethers, etc... ?uestlove's drums carry this thing on and ChesnuTT's vocals so smooth

@Val Rannous skip

@landrys hat otc

Some drafts take off, some don't.  Yet we persist.

This format is nerdier than take 20-30-50 records to an island and not as inherently fun as a "songs about" draft so it's all my fault. :bag:

I got ripped off in the early days of K-Tel hit record tv commercials.  It was the recent AM hits ...but it was by a group called something like "The Recent Hits" (not it ...but you get the point).

There were several "one hit wonders" on it.  

It was ok ...but I was so disappointed.  

My first experience with "the system built to #### you".
The Music Industry

from my end, it's summertime and even tho it's weird I've a lot more active outside the house. still appreciate the draft and I think the banter will pick up.

3.14 The Roots (featuring Cody ChesnuTT) - The Seed 2.0

Loved this thing back in college and I'm pretty sure we played it at a few gatherings/house parties we threw back then. It doubles as a great jukebox song anyway, but it's great for get togethers, etc... I don't think I've met anyone who doesn't dig this even a little bit. If you say you don't, you probably lying. ?uestlove's drums carry this thing on and ChesnuTT's vocals so smooth
This was on my jukebox from the first draft

Completely different direction this time out.

The Music Industry
more so the artists eh?  

I equated it more to the early wild west infomercial days - I'll do some research, but I really want to remember what the name of the group was ...

it was purposely deceptive to make you believe you were getting the original hits.  

####### ##########s.

Some drafts take off, some don't.  Yet we persist.

This format is nerdier than take 20-30-50 records to an island and not as inherently fun as a "songs about" draft so it's all my fault. :bag:
No no no!  I should have typed more and would have if I weren’t on my phone (hate typing on it).  Definitely not a criticism of the draft!  I love the concept and especially all the weird rules.   :)  Maybe we have a little draft fatigue.  

I actually prefer the b-side here, but for the early going, double shots are my secondary shtick. Obviously b-sides mostly go away in more modern times :(

3.13 - The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down/Up on Cripple Creek (1969)

Does everyone consider The Band a Canadian band? I know we do up here despite Helm being American.

from my end, it's summertime and even tho it's weird I've a lot more active outside the house. still appreciate the draft and I think the banter will pick up.
I've been sheltered in place for four months.  It's really getting old.
We go to phase 3 in my city Friday (most places open, restaurants limited to 50 people, no singing/dancing allowed). 0 active cases and 24 days without a new case. 

No no no!  I should have typed more and would have if I weren’t on my phone (hate typing on it).  Definitely not a criticism of the draft!  I love the concept and especially all the weird rules.   :)  Maybe we have a little draft fatigue.  
I love all my draft concepts with their silly rules. 

We go to phase 3 in my city Friday. 0 active cases and 24 days without a new case. 
we had 0 active cases for like 2 months until tourist season. now we have a bunch...more than we had at its height in the spring. it sucks. phase 3 currently tho

I actually prefer the b-side here, but for the early going, double shots are my secondary shtick. Obviously b-sides mostly go away in more modern times :(

3.13 - The Band - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down/Up on Cripple Creek (1969)

Does everyone consider The Band a Canadian band? I know we do up here despite Helm being American.
I was thinking about this song (the first one) the other day. Along with “Rebels” by Tom Petty, “My Fathers Gun” by Elton John- would any of these songs be released today? 

I’m excited about the draft but also enjoying the outdoors more and also kind of depressed about the state of the country. 

I think anybody with dual Canada-USA connections would head true North these days

It's definitely been a slower takeoff than usual. I blame it on the skippers, noshows, dropouts, and Eephus. 

Users who are viewing this thread