What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Starting QB for the Minnesota Vikings in 2009 (1 Viewer)

The Starting QB for the Minnesota Vikings in 2009 Will Be?

• Travaris Jackson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gussy Frerotte

• Kurt Warner

• Brett Favre

• Marc Bulger

• Jeff Garcia

• Matt Hasselbeck

• Matt Cassell

• Dererk Anderson

• Sage Rosenfels

• David Carr

• JP Losman

• Other

• Total voters

NoCheese

turn or burn
Since the Vikings reportedly offered (2) 1st round picks last year for Brady Quinn, tried to trade for Sage Rosenfels, and Travaris Jackson is horrendous, I'm assuming the Vikings will at least entertain the idea of acquiring some new talent at the QB position. What thinks ye? Who will be the guy? Discuss.

No John David Booty option?

ETA: I'm going with Kerry Collins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of surprised that Donovan McNabb isn't up there.
McNabb is still in the playoffs, the Eagles might have entertained the idea of life without him for a few weeks this year but they would be remiss to trade him away. They wouldn't be good with Kolb, and their WR's aren't good enough to stand on their own. McNabb has several more seasons of good play in him, the Eagles have to see that by now.JDB is a project and what little time he had this year he was pretty bad.

No John David Booty option?ETA: I'm going with Kerry Collins.
Reason I didn't include McNabb is because all indications are that he is wanted back by the Eagles owner, he is still under contract, they made a late season surge and are playing well now, and I don't think anyone believes Kolb is ready. Now, McNabb may demand to be traded because of the way he was treated and if so, he would be easily #1 on the Vikings radar.I also think because of Collins' success the Titans will be reluctant to part w/ him, especially since Vince Young would be their starter and he is anything but reliable.ETA: just looked and saw that I pretty much repeated what ScottyFargo said. Took me too long to type. Sorry

I think it will be T. Jackson.

I want it to be David Carr. :rolleyes:

(I live in WI and can walk to Lambeau from my brother's house)

I also think because of Collins' success the Titans will be reluctant to part w/ him, especially since Vince Young would be their starter and he is anything but reliable.
I disagree 100%. I think that unless they win the Super Bowl (which I think is unlikely), they'll let Collins go. I think they go in to camp with it as an "open competition" between Vince and Simms.

I also think because of Collins' success the Titans will be reluctant to part w/ him, especially since Vince Young would be their starter and he is anything but reliable.
I disagree 100%. I think that unless they win the Super Bowl (which I think is unlikely), they'll let Collins go. I think they go in to camp with it as an "open competition" between Vince and Simms.
Collins threw 12 TDs and 7 INT's with a QB rating of 80.2. Not earth shattering, but solid. Why would they want to get rid of him, even if was as a backup?

1) T-Jac

2) McNabb - Childress connection

3) Collins - very slightly younger version of Gus

2 & 3 aren't on your poll.

1) T-Jac2) McNabb - Childress connection3) Collins - very slightly younger version of Gus2 & 3 aren't on your poll.
see post #7 above for explanation. I just don't see the Vikings actively pursuing Collins. He's older (36) and just not that talented for them to target. He's a solid QB and would be better than Gus or T-Jack, but not that much better. McNabb simply isn't going anywhere. Kolb is not ready

The only conceivable reason that I can think where one would hope that Tavaris is the QB next year is to get rid of Childress at the end of the season. Because if Jackson starts all year, the Vikings are bound for yet another disappointing season.

It's Tarvaris, not Travaris.

Who do I want it to be? I would like to see Hasselbeck.

Who will it be? I'll say Favre or Garcia.

I voted Garcia as they need a proven veteran and he is the most likely one to be available.

Taking a chance on Losman, Leftwich, Grossman or Simms to compete with Jackson may be interesting, but not the sure upgrade that they need. As a Packer fan I would enjoy that.

Collins threw 12 TDs and 7 INT's with a QB rating of 80.2. Not earth shattering, but solid. Why would they want to get rid of him, even if was as a backup?
Off the top of my head, I'm guessing he also doesn't make a ton of money by even backup QB standards.

I'm interested in Troy Smith. Had he not had that tonsil infection he probably would have started over Flacco.

From the list, the guys I like best (assuming Cassel stays in NE) are Warner and Bulger.

First guy I thought of was Leftwich.

He only signed for a year with Pittsburgh, presumably because he believes he can still start. He reportedly dropped a bunch of weight coming into this year(he sure looks leaner) and it has seemed like it made a difference in his limited reps. He's still statuesque with a long wind-up, but he's looked about as mobile as he's ever likely to be(given the Pitt. OL, it's a good thing, too.) He's also moved the team when called upon, even though his "wrench time" in the offense had been fairly short.

He'll be looking to start and he's probably going to come pretty cheap if a team is willing to give him the keys. With Berrian and Rice among the WR core, Leftwich certainly has an arm that they can't outrun. He's going to be 29 here shortly, so he's not over-the-hill either.

I'm not his biggest fan, or anything, but he may be just as good as some of the option on that list(hell, he's arguably better than a handful of them), but will likely come at a lower sticker price.

It would seem to be a decent fit. He would certainly bring a deep threat to the Vikes that might free up some room for the talented RBs. The idea of Leftwich throwing to BB and Rice against cover 1 is interesting. Leftwich's career stats aren't good, but they are certainly decent and good enough for him to get another shot. If you take out his rookie season, were he missed almost all of camp and played on an awful team, he has almost a 2/1 TD/INT ratio for the rest of his career(40/22) and a QB rating of close to 85. That ain't bad.

It would seem to be a decent fit. He would certainly bring a deep threat to the Vikes that might free up some room for the talented RBs. The idea of Leftwich throwing to BB and Rice against cover 1 is interesting. Leftwich's career stats aren't good, but they are certainly decent and good enough for him to get another shot. If you take out his rookie season, were he missed almost all of camp and played on an awful team, he has almost a 2/1 TD/INT ratio for the rest of his career(40/22) and a QB rating of close to 85. That ain't bad.
For the WCO? No chance. Not with that delivery.

So his delivery won't work in a WCO? Or you'd not want him in any system with his delivery?

So his delivery won't work in a WCO? Or you'd not want him in any system with his delivery?
I don't know that I'd want him for any system, but he would be a terrible match for the WCO.

They could have had Leftwich this year for next to nothing. Childress didn't like him and I don't see why that'd be different now.

I would take a look at acquiring Kolb or Rosenfels. If that fails then they need to draft someone. They aren't going to win with what they have now.

Im shocked at all the TJ votes.

Let's be realistic here.. he played well past few weeks but he also beat up on the Lions, Cardinals, Falcons (which he also had a few bone head plays in redzone) and the Giants 2nd team defense for the most part.

I'm just not buying his mechanics and lack of knowledge reading defenses can be over come by next season. This team has a small window IMO to win a SB with the players it has in place and they need a QB who can deliver now consistently.

I voted Garcia but any veteran who doesnt turn the ball over and can effectively read the defense and make a touch pass will do.

money.never.sleeps said:
Im shocked at all the TJ votes.
lots of packer/bears votes there I am sure.they better be all over hasselbeck or bulger if they come available. Garcia would be ok also.

I don't get the love people have for Rosenfels. Has he really shown that much? He's almost 31 also.

McNabb is still in the playoffs, the Eagles might have entertained the idea of life without him for a few weeks this year but they would be remiss to trade him away. They wouldn't be good with Kolb, and their WR's aren't good enough to stand on their own. McNabb has several more seasons of good play in him, the Eagles have to see that by now.JDB is a project and what little time he had this year he was pretty bad.
I think you could add Kolb to the list over McNabb, McNabb isn't going anywhere

money.never.sleeps said:
Im shocked at all the TJ votes.Let's be realistic here.. he played well past few weeks but he also beat up on the Lions, Cardinals, Falcons (which he also had a few bone head plays in redzone) and the Giants 2nd team defense for the most part. I'm just not buying his mechanics and lack of knowledge reading defenses can be over come by next season. This team has a small window IMO to win a SB with the players it has in place and they need a QB who can deliver now consistently.I voted Garcia but any veteran who doesnt turn the ball over and can effectively read the defense and make a touch pass will do.
I think people are saying TJack not because that's who they WANT to be QB, but who they think will be. There's just not a lot out there, and other teams know how desperate the Vikings will be for a QB and up the asking price.

According to Michael Lombardi today:

I know that Minnesota is going to explore every possible idea for a starting quarterback. The Vikings know they need to make the move there; Tarvaris Jackson’s days as a starter are over in the Twin Cities.

McNabb Warner is still in the playoffs, the Eagles Cardinals might have entertained the idea of life without him for a few weeks this year but they would be remiss to trade him away. They wouldn't be good with Kolb Leinart, and their WR's aren't good enough to stand on their own. McNabb Warner has several more seasons of good play in him, the Eagles Cardinals have to see that by now.Yet Warner is a reasonable to be on the list and McNabb isn't? :lmao:

McNabb Warner is still in the playoffs, the Eagles Cardinals might have entertained the idea of life without him for a few weeks this year but they would be remiss to trade him away. They wouldn't be good with Kolb Leinart, and their WR's aren't good enough to stand on their own. McNabb Warner has several more seasons of good play in him, the Eagles Cardinals have to see that by now.Yet Warner is a reasonable to be on the list and McNabb isn't? :rolleyes:
I didn't make the poll, and I originally had no opinion on the Warner/Leinart (I actually would tend to agree with you, Warner stays in Ari) but I'll play some devil's advocate:Warner is 4 years older than McNabb, that's four more seasons that McNabb could be potentially signed too. Also, Boldin and Fitz are > than the sum total of the Eagles WR's. How many more seasons do you expect Warner to put up like this one? After Boldin's injury he said he told his wife he had considered retiring. Now that could be an exageration but that is something to consider when you're thinking of retaining the services of a QB and making plans for the future of the franchise.

I don't see Ari cutting ties with Warner, I imagine they'll work toward resigning him. But as of the 1st week of the playoffs the Eagles had openly stated they were going to back Donovon. That may or may not change depending on how much McNabb pushes for a new contract.

McNabb Warner is still in the playoffs, the Eagles Cardinals might have entertained the idea of life without him for a few weeks this year but they would be remiss to trade him away. They wouldn't be good with Kolb Leinart, and their WR's aren't good enough to stand on their own. McNabb Warner has several more seasons of good play in him, the Eagles Cardinals have to see that by now.Yet Warner is a reasonable to be on the list and McNabb isn't? :bag:
warner is going to be a free agent I thought, mcnabb won't be. Pretty big difference right there. That said warner will probably stay in az unless he got a really good offer to leave(which is possible).

McNabb Warner is still in the playoffs, the Eagles Cardinals might have entertained the idea of life without him for a few weeks this year but they would be remiss to trade him away. They wouldn't be good with Kolb Leinart, and their WR's aren't good enough to stand on their own. McNabb Warner has several more seasons of good play in him, the Eagles Cardinals have to see that by now.Yet Warner is a reasonable to be on the list and McNabb isn't? :no:
warner is going to be a free agent I thought, mcnabb won't be. Pretty big difference right there. That said warner will probably stay in az unless he got a really good offer to leave(which is possible).
Warner is a short solution and the Vikes would need to beef up the WR corps for him. Berrian, Rice, UPGRADE from Wade, and Shiancoe at TE isn't too shabby.

Who's a better option than Garcia, really? Makes very few mistakes, can make something out of broken plays and has playoff experience. For a run-first, strong defense team, he's just what they need imo. Gruden and him don't get along so great chance he'll be available.

He's also proven he can utilize a go-to receiver, so Berrian's talents won't be wasted. This is the move the Vikings should make to become true contenders. Plus, he's old enough that you can draft a prospect and groom him under Garcia (or let Jackson sit and learn).

I think this is their move. Garcia isn't the best QB out there, but he's the right fit for this team. They could win a Super Bowl.

From the list: I'd want Warner no question

Be happy with:

Garcia

Collins

Derek Anderson

Users who are viewing this thread