What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

They're both drowning, you can save only one... (1 Viewer)

If they were both drowning & you could save only one would you save your dog or a stranger (huma

• I'd save my dog

Votes: 68 46.3%
  • I'd save the stranger

Votes: 79 53.7%

• Total voters

satch

Footballguy
This question was posed to me a while back and I answered, without hesitation, that I would save my dog before I saved the stranger. I'm 100 % comfortable with my answer, but I've heard many people give the opposite response. Personally I see no right or wrong answer. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I too would save my dog. Not only do I love the dog, but the dog has a life just like a human does.PS. No, im not trying to start a debate on whether a dogs life is worth as much as a humans life or not, just making a statement.

I would have saved my dog that passed away two years ago over any stranger.I would have saved that dog over many of my family members! Ask me about the dog that I have now, and I would have to say that I would save the stranger first.

I would save my dog and I am not the least bit ashamed to admit it. I would save him over a lot of people that aren't complete strangers too.

For those of you voting to let your dog die while saving the stranger...Would it matter if you later learned that the stranger was someone who didn't deserve to be saved (insert your own reason)?

For those of you voting to let your dog die while saving the stranger...Would it matter if you later learned that the stranger was someone who didn't deserve to be saved (insert your own reason)?
None of them do.

I too would save my dog. Not only do I love the dog, but the dog has a life just like a human does.
:rotflmao: :cry: :rotflmao:
How do you get :cry: from that?
Sorry - laughing so hard I'm crying.
Im glad you got such amusement from it.
I know that if your best friend was drowning next to some guy's dog and he chose to save the dog instead of your friend you'd be pretty freakin' pissed off. And rightly so. :rotflmao:

I'd save the stranger only if.....A. she's hotB. she's mediocre and I'd get some afterwardsC. he's rich and I'd be rich by saving himD. she's rich and hotE. she's rich and mediocre and I'd get some afterwardsF. she's my girlfriendOtherwise, my dog lives.

I too would save my dog. Not only do I love the dog, but the dog has a life just like a human does.
I know that if your best friend was drowning next to some guy's dog and he chose to save the dog instead of your friend you'd be pretty freakin' pissed off. And rightly so.:rotflmao:
Good point...but why rightly so? I would've saved my dog too.

stranger...its not even close. I'd even save a hated enemy over any animal.
Why?
I don't find an animal's life to be extremely important. Thats not to say that I wouldn't care at all if an animal was dying, but you can alwasy get another pet that has almost the exact same personality. I would even risk my own life, on the other hand, to save a humans' life.

I don't believe anyone doesn't deserve to be saved.

I know that if your best friend was drowning next to some guy's dog and he chose to save the dog instead of your friend you'd be pretty freakin' pissed off. And rightly so.:rotflmao:
If it would be alright for me to be pissed if some guy let my dog die, how is it funny that I would save my dog?You arent making a lot of sense here, guy. Try not to conflict yourself.

I know that if your best friend was drowning next to some guy's dog and he chose to save the dog instead of your friend you'd be pretty freakin' pissed off. And rightly so. :rotflmao:
Shouldn't the friend be worried about saving his buddy? :confused:

stranger...its not even close. I'd even save a hated enemy over any animal.
Why?
I don't find an animal's life to be extremely important. Thats not to say that I wouldn't care at all if an animal was dying, but you can alwasy get another pet that has almost the exact same personality. I would even risk my own life, on the other hand, to save a humans' life.
Admirable. I'd risk my life to save anothers as well. I'd also risk my life to save my dogs life.

You guys that would save a dog over a human are a disgrace to humanity.... and I mean that in the most passive way possible. ;)

You guys that would save a dog over a human are a disgrace to humanity.... and I mean that in the most passive way possible. ;)
Agreed.I'd clearly save the stranger as would any other sane human in that actual situation. Easy to say you'd save the dog, even if joking, but i'd bet every single person would save the stranger if actually in that situation. And if that's not true, I better become quick friends with those who voted to save the dog because I dont want to be a stranger to you.

<-------- I'd save my dog. No doubt about it.
Wow, I've never seen a Boston Terrier that looks as much like mine as yours does. Mine was the runt of the litter. He's 10 years old, 17 pounds and smaller than some fat cats. He's the best.

Also, I'm pretty sure that given the dilemma of saving me or a random dog, my dog would save me. I'll have to discuss w/ him to confirm of course.

Also, I'm pretty sure that given the dilemma of saving me or a random dog, my dog would save me. I'll have to discuss w/ him to confirm of course.
unless the other dog is 1. rich2. hot3. rich and hot, with your dog having the possibility of getting some action(according to lastresort66's view on this)

I'd save the stranger only if.....A. she's hotB. she's mediocre and I'd get some afterwardsC. he's rich and I'd be rich by saving himD. she's rich and hotE. she's rich and mediocre and I'd get some afterwardsF. she's my girlfriendOtherwise, my dog lives.
Your g/f would have to be a stranger... maybe an internet companion? :P

<-------- I'd save my dog. No doubt about it.
Wow, I've never seen a Boston Terrier that looks as much like mine as yours does. Mine was the runt of the litter. He's 10 years old, 17 pounds and smaller than some fat cats. He's the best.
Mine's a 5yr. old girl, about the same weight as yours (17-18#). Going to get another one in the spring, but that one will be a small breed (max out at 10-12#).My wife and I have to leave her at home alone about 8-10 hrs a day, so we decided to get her some company. :D Before her, I always had large dogs (Husky and a couple of Labs), they were all great but I never became attached to them like I have to her.

<--------  I'd save my dog. No doubt about it.
Mine's a 5yr. old girl, about the same weight as yours (17-18#). Going to get another one in the spring, but that one will be a small breed (max out at 10-12#).My wife and I have to leave her at home alone about 8-10 hrs a day, so we decided to get her some company. :D Before her, I always had large dogs (Husky and a couple of Labs), they were all great but I never became attached to them like I have to her.
There's something about Bostons. They have so much personality. Mine has 1 blue eye and 1 brown eye and his tongue sticks out all the time. He runs in circles a lot too. Not sure why.

I don't argue that a human being is more important than a canine.I do, however, know that when adrenalin is flowing you don't think crystal clearly and tend to follow your gut. If you love your dog, you'll save him. My dogs are like part of the family, I mean....it would just happen for most people. They may regret it after, but I can't see how one could argue that they would think it thru like that.Also, dogs don't drown.

Why? What makes a human more important? Intelligence? Would you save a grad student over a ritarded kid?

I guess it really comes down to personal feelings on relative values.Expand the hypothetical situation a little..... If it were between a random adult and a random child, I would usually save the child. But if it were a child and my father or a child and my friend, I would let the child die to save the person close to me. If it were a random r*t*rd*d child and a random adult, I would save the adult because I think that the adult's capacity to live a full and meaningful life offsets the fact that what remains may be shorter. If it were the smartest man in the world who just yesterday found the cure for cancer and was about to publish it and 10 infants, I would save the miracle man because of the many more lives he would save; but if it were the cure finder and my brother, I would save my brother. I don't buy into the whole "sanctity of human life" deal; I believe that some lives are worth more than others. In general a human life is worth more than a dog, but just like the examples above, that also gets weighed against the value of that life to me personally. My dog is more important to me than the life of a random stranger. In short, relative value is part of the picture but so is self interest.

Users who are viewing this thread