What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tom Brady ONCE AGAIN suspended 4 games (1 Viewer)

IronSheik, I think most of your points are good ones. But the NFL had to do simething here. I don't know if this was the right punishment, but a billion dollar business can't tolerate even the hint of cheating, ever.
But it already does tolerate it. Every sport does. Like the examples I listed. Is an under deflated ball really that severe of a crime? Seems minuscule to me. I'd put it below stick 'em. And the fact that the report doesn't say he "definitely" did it, I think this is mind blowingly insane.

They should have vacated the Pats SB win.

I bet no one messes with the footballs after that.
:goodposting:

NCAA would have vacated all of the wins imo NFL doesn't have the balls to do that.
For slightly deflated footballs? I'm not so sure.
I think so, yes. The only reason why Brady was even on the field for the SB was because it wasn't possible for the league to do a thorough investigation beforehand. Theoretically, the SB should have been the first game of his suspension. If you're the sort of organization that believes in vacating wins, that's an easy call.
That was never going to happen. There is a reason the investigation took so long and the results published when they were.

:goodposting:

NCAA would have vacated all of the wins imo NFL doesn't have the balls to do that.
For slightly deflated footballs? I'm not so sure.
I think so, yes. The only reason why Brady was even on the field for the SB was because it wasn't possible for the league to do a thorough investigation beforehand. Theoretically, the SB should have been the first game of his suspension. If you're the sort of organization that believes in vacating wins, that's an easy call.
That was never going to happen. There is a reason the investigation took so long and the results published when they were.
Yep. This was never, ever going to happen before the marquee event in the NFL. No. Way.

It would be cool if they could simply make their offense play with over-inflated balls (say 10% over the maximum) all year long as part of the punishment. If the cheating really wasn't a big deal for competitive balance, then that punishment wouldn't be either, right?
I approve. Brady with his girlish, weak-griped hands would be throwing Manning like ducks all over the place.

Would this be as big of a deal if it wasn't the Patriots?
that depends. If Kobe Bryant were somehow found to have cheated, it would be an even bigger deal.
Why?The NFL is way more popular than the NBA. So the preeminent star in America's preeminent sport getting caught in a cheating scandal would likely get more media coverage than the second biggest star in the second biggest sport getting caught.

Besides, Brady and the Pats are sports talk staples regardless of a cheating scandal because Brady and the Pats are still dominant. Kobe has fallen down the sports talk ladder because the Lakers are crap.
The NFL is certainly more popular than the NBA, but the stars of the NBA are bigger than the stars of the NFL, for many reasons. (less players, no helmets, more of a star oriented sport, etc.)
I like you Tim, but this may be one of those instances where people could say you are trying to steer the conversation into a direction you want to talk about.

When I asked the question about it being a big deal because it was the Patriots, I was thinking in comparison to a team like the Bengals.
I didn't mean to. I was trying to come up with an example of how this might be a bigger story and then Al challenged me about NBA stars. I'll drop it.

Apparently the big rallying cry in New England this morning is "No Brady no banner!"- they don't want the SB banner raised at the first home game, as is traditional, without Tom Brady present.

Yep. This was never, ever going to happen before the marquee event in the NFL. No. Way.
Think about it.....there's a little over two months between the SB and the draft. If they made a ruling that affected the SB or this years draft how is that good for the NFL? The perfect timing is right AFTER the draft so there is maximum time between ruling and punishment; 5 months prior to the season and a full year before next year's draft. The twitter and sports talk will be effectively minimized for both. This was very calculated.

Apparently the big rallying cry in New England this morning is "No Brady no banner!"- they don't want the SB banner raised at the first home game, as is traditional, without Tom Brady present.
Awesome. Maybe they know that without cheating, they wouldn't have been there?

Think about it.....there's a little over two months between the SB and the draft. If they made a ruling that affected the SB or this years draft how is that good for the NFL? The perfect timing is right AFTER the draft so there is maximum time between ruling and punishment; 5 months prior to the season and a full year before next year's draft. The twitter and sports talk will be effectively minimized for both. This was very calculated.
Well not only that, but typically after the draft, is a dead time for the NFL. There's nothing really going on but rookie and team mini camps. Why not release this report when football news is slow to drum up interest again?

If they let Suh play in a playoff game after stomping on Rogers there is no way they keep Brady from playing in the SB for deflated balls. Ridiculous to think otherwise.

If they let Suh play in a playoff game after stomping on Rogers there is no way they keep Brady from playing in the SB for deflated balls. Ridiculous to think otherwise.
Suh said his feet were numb from the cold and that he could not feel he was on Rodgers leg.

Well not only that, but typically after the draft, is a dead time for the NFL. There's nothing really going on but rookie and team mini camps. Why not release this report when football news is slow to drum up interest again?
The reason to release it when it's slow is to lessen the impact on the regular season.

I don't think Goodell is running around trying to find cheating scandals to drum up interest.

Tommy Small Hands

I kid. Not one bit surprised he's trying to control everything he can. So much of the game outcome is out of the team's control, he wants to maximize what can be done.

4 games seems a bit harsh, but the rest is fine. 2 games would have felt more right.

IronSheik, I think most of your points are good ones. But the NFL had to do simething here. I don't know if this was the right punishment, but a billion dollar business can't tolerate even the hint of cheating, ever.
But it already does tolerate it. Every sport does. Like the examples I listed. Is an under deflated ball really that severe of a crime? Seems minuscule to me. I'd put it below stick 'em. And the fact that the report doesn't say he "definitely" did it, I think this is mind blowingly insane.
I think inflated balls have a bigger impact on the game than stick'um, or O-linemen greasing up.

For instance, New England had the lowest number of turnovers last year - seems an obvious upside of under-inflated balls. You often here the importance of winning the turnover ratio as it correlates to wins in the NFL - and the Patriots found it easier to hold onto the ball.

So, I think this was an on-going serious offense. I think the Patriots did what they could to frustrate the investigation. I think the Patriots were already on thin ice with the commissioner's office based on past indiscretions. I think this penalty, including the Brady suspension, was intended to take all of that into account, and hammer the organization (and lets face it, the organization will be harmed more than Brady by Brady missing 4 games).

Baloney Sandwich said:
So how did the NFL obtain the text messages

sent by the equipment guys? Did they turn over their personal text messages voluntarily or were these company phones and the Patriots did it? If Brady didn't turn his over, why did these guys do it?
Team phones.
I've been saying forever that companies/organizations shouldn't be in the phone business. Provide employees with a monthly phone allowance but make them purchase the phone. This whole incident could have been avoided if they didn't have to turn in those two dum dum's phones.
Great idea for companies to have billion dollar deals being negotiated over unsecure connections and on phones requiring a "swipe right" to unlock.
I have my own phone and if I want to get access to my company email they will give me access and require me to use a password every time I open my phone. The same thing with my previous employer. Both companies used to provide phones for their employees and really the only difference as I understand it is who owns the phone.

The reason to release it when it's slow is to lessen the impact on the regular season.

I don't think Goodell is running around trying to find cheating scandals to drum up interest.
I don't think he does either. But did this really take 100+ days to put everything together? I think the NFL had the report and was just waiting for the right time to release it.

:goodposting: NCAA would have vacated all of the wins imo NFL doesn't have the balls to do that.
:lmao: You do know that his exact hang happened to USC, right? They were caught deflating footballs and you know what he punishment was? A fine
USC has been fined and reprimanded by the Pac-12 after it was discovered that one of the Trojans' student managers had intentionally deflated game balls during the first half of Saturday's loss to Oregon.

There are several things wrong with taking game balls below their normal, NCAA-regulated levels – there's a reason the NCAA and its officials keeps close tabs on the amount of air in the game-used footballs.

"Game officials discovered and re-inflated three of the balls before the game and two others at halftime. All balls were regulation in the second half," read a statement from USC.

"When informed of this allegation by the Pac-12, USC investigated it immediately. The student manager confirmed that he had, without the knowledge of, or instruction from, any USC student-athlete, coach, staff member or administrator, deflated those game balls after they had been tested and approved by officials prior to the game."

USC announced late Wednesday that it had fired that student manager responsible for deflating the footballs.
So evidence of a one-time event where the school investigated on its own, and disciplined the manager (albeit just throwing him under the bus) = an ongoing trend, multi-million dollar outside investigation, and the team being uncooperative in the investigation?

Funny that you choose USC, one of the more corrupt college programs, as the measuring stick here...

:lmao:

I think inflated balls have a bigger impact on the game than stick'um, or O-linemen greasing up.

For instance, New England had the lowest number of turnovers last year - seems an obvious upside of under-inflated balls. You often here the importance of winning the turnover ratio as it correlates to wins in the NFL - and the Patriots found it easier to hold onto the ball.

So, I think this was an on-going serious offense. I think the Patriots did what they could to frustrate the investigation. I think the Patriots were already on thin ice with the commissioner's office based on past indiscretions. I think this penalty, including the Brady suspension, was intended to take all of that into account, and hammer the organization (and lets face it, the organization will be harmed more than Brady by Brady missing 4 games).
There is no direct correlation between those two things, though. No one has proven that it helps. And no one has proven how long they've been doing it. You just can't look at stats and say that they resulted in whatever thing someone did elsewhere.

Baloney Sandwich said:

sent by the equipment guys? Did they turn over their personal text messages voluntarily or were these company phones and the Patriots did it? If Brady didn't turn his over, why did these guys do it?
Team phones.
I've been saying forever that companies/organizations shouldn't be in the phone business. Provide employees with a monthly phone allowance but make them purchase the phone. This whole incident could have been avoided if they didn't have to turn in those two dum dum's phones.
Great idea for companies to have billion dollar deals being negotiated over unsecure connections and on phones requiring a "swipe right" to unlock.
I have my own phone and if I want to get access to my company email they will give me access and require me to use a password every time I open my phone. The same thing with my previous employer. Both companies used to provide phones for their employees and really the only difference as I understand it is who owns the phone.
Mine is encrypted and will wipe itself after five failed attempts. It also has a lot of options and programs locked out, I assume, to prevent viruses.

brohans i am not saying it is right but it does not matter what people prove or do not prove about if the floppy balls changed a game outcome what matters is that the pats cheated and you can say that they cheated because it was a bunch of people from the team working together to get it done and no matter what you prove or do not prove and no matter what the team won or how many it won it will now always be a team that everyone can crap on as cheaters and there is no argument you can make on the internet that is going to change that so hey i guess just own it and it is what it is brohans even tho it stinks and i wish that a sb winner could just be the winner without astericks taket hat to the bank

There is no direct correlation between those two things, though. No one has proven that it helps. And no one has proven how long they've been doing it. You just can't look at stats and say that they resulted in whatever thing someone did elsewhere.
I think under-inflated balls are easier to grip, thus making it easier to hold, thus making fumbles less likely. I don't think we are breaking new ground with that concept, nor do I need Bill Nye to conduct a series of independent tests to validate that finding. As it is, I no longer give the Patriots the benefit of any doubt on this.

I thought the texts from tweedle dee and tweedle dum indicated a lengthy time period of deflating footballs....as opposed to a one-time spur of the moment thing.

The text messages indicate it has been going on for awhile.This isn't a criminal proceeding. I think they used some common sense to connect the dots.

Works for me. If I were a New England fan, I wouldn't want that tainted banner staring at me every game either.

Baloney Sandwich said:

Team phones.
Mine is encrypted and will wipe itself after five failed attempts. It also has a lot of options and programs locked out, I assume, to prevent viruses.
I guess it depends on the industry then as I know the companies I've worked for in the past did nothing but purchase the phones for their employees. I'm pretty sure the Pats didn't encrypt The Deflator's phone.

:goodposting: NCAA would have vacated all of the wins imo NFL doesn't have the balls to do that.
:lmao: You do know that his exact hang happened to USC, right? They were caught deflating footballs and you know what he punishment was? A fine
USC has been fined and reprimanded by the Pac-12 after it was discovered that one of the Trojans' student managers had intentionally deflated game balls during the first half of Saturday's loss to Oregon.

There are several things wrong with taking game balls below their normal, NCAA-regulated levels – there's a reason the NCAA and its officials keeps close tabs on the amount of air in the game-used footballs.

"Game officials discovered and re-inflated three of the balls before the game and two others at halftime. All balls were regulation in the second half," read a statement from USC.

"When informed of this allegation by the Pac-12, USC investigated it immediately. The student manager confirmed that he had, without the knowledge of, or instruction from, any USC student-athlete, coach, staff member or administrator, deflated those game balls after they had been tested and approved by officials prior to the game."

USC announced late Wednesday that it had fired that student manager responsible for deflating the footballs.
So evidence of a one-time event where the school investigated on its own, and disciplined the manager (albeit just throwing him under the bus) = an ongoing trend, multi-million dollar outside investigation, and the team being uncooperative in the investigation?

Funny that you choose USC, one of the more corrupt college programs, as the measuring stick here...

You can argue that Brady was uncooperative, but everything in the Wells report says the Patriots bent over backwards with cooperation. The two events are eerily similar to one another, even down to the past history of the organizations being known to be less than stellar. And unlike your assertion that the NCAA would have vacated wins, all they did was issue a fine.

You can argue that Brady was uncooperative, but everything in the Wells report says the Patriots bent over backwards with cooperation. The two events are eerily similar to one another, even down to the past history of the organizations being known to be less than stellar. And unlike your assertion that the NCAA would have vacated wins, all they did was issue a fine.
The Wells Report actually said the Patriots were very cooperative. Not sure why the NFL chose to say they did not cooperate.

NCAA did nothing.

The Wells Report actually said the Patriots were very cooperative. Not sure why the NFL chose to say they did not cooperate.
Not exactly what it said.

LINK

Again, this is the NFL using an easily digestible phrase that people can parrot but doesn't hold up if you have read the report. In fact, the line "the Patriots provided substantial cooperation throughout the investigation" appears in Wells' report. Page 23, if you're interested.

The most entertaining part of all of this is the Patriots fans in my circle of life losing their ever loving minds. I don't see the big deal with the inflation quotient of the frackin ball so I really don't care about any of this, but the fan fallout has been well worth the time to follow.

Oh, and Eli Manning is still Tom Brady Kryptonite. Had to throw that in there. You know. Because he took the ring from them twice. On sensational once in a generation plays that only Eli Manning and receivers with bubble gum on their heads and feet could pull off. So there's that. Deflated balls..... pfft.

LINK

Again, this is the NFL using an easily digestible phrase that people can parrot but doesn't hold up if you have read the report. In fact, the line "the Patriots provided substantial cooperation throughout the investigation" appears in Wells' report. Page 23, if you're interested.
It goes on to say:

"there was a significant exception to the cooperation provided by the Patriots. Although we requested a follow-up interview of Jim McNally after our initial interview, counsel for the Patriots refused our request"

LINK

It goes on to say:

"there was a significant exception to the cooperation provided by the Patriots. Although we requested a follow-up interview of Jim McNally after our initial interview, counsel for the Patriots refused our request"
And the follow-up to that was that they were willing to do a phone interview, just not another face-to-face

LINK

It goes on to say:

Yes. Read the article I posted. They granted 4 interviews. When they came back and requested a 5th, the Pats said no.

The severity is largely linked to the spygate stuff. Their lack of cooperation there was even worse. A different team gets "caught" doing this and the punishment is different. I think it is fine to consider past transgressions when determining punishments.

LINK

It goes on to say:

Yes. Read the article I posted. They granted 4 interviews. When they came back and requested a 5th, the Pats said no.
I'm just going off what the Well's Report said. It explained the importance of this follow up interview with this:

McNally was one of the earliest Patriots personnel interviewed by our investigative team and a number of important follow-up questions had arisen based on subsequent interviews and information discovered after our initial interview of McNally.

Counsel for the Patriots, however, declined to produce McNally, and communicated an unwillingness even to advise McNally of our request for a follow-up interview. We do not know definitively whether McNally was, in fact, informed of our request.

The investigative process would have benefited from further questioning of McNally on certain topics, and we believe that the actions of the Patriots and their counsel in this regard are inconsistent both with the club's public pronouncements of full cooperation with the investigation and its obligations under Section 2 of the Policy on Integrity of the Game & Enforcement of Competitive Rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole thing is just Goodell grandstanding. How could the refs not know that this was going on? They handle the ball every play.

The whole thing is just Goodell grandstanding. How could the refs not know that this was going on? They handle the ball every play.
Exactly. If it's that noticeable, they'd know.

Also, the article I posted above mentions that two teams last year got busted for heating footballs on the sideline. They were given a warning. The Chargers got busted for putting stick em on towels to wipe the balls a few years back and were fined $25,000.

This should also render him ineligible for the hall of fame.
Let's kick George Brett out for using pine tar!!
Brady is first ballot HOF'er.That pine tar thing isn't remotely close to this.
Both trying to get a competitive advantage, correct?

Oh it's because Brady didn't want to be part of the NFL's circus during the investigation.
Comparing across sports never works well but pine tar high on a bat gives no advantage. This would be more like Brady wore his socks too high or something.More to the point, Brett didn't have some little system worked out that involved minions messing with the equipment after it was checked.

This should also render him ineligible for the hall of fame.
Let's kick George Brett out for using pine tar!!
Brady is first ballot HOF'er.That pine tar thing isn't remotely close to this.
Both trying to get a competitive advantage, correct?

Oh it's because Brady didn't want to be part of the NFL's circus during the investigation.
Comparing across sports never works well but pine tar high on a bat gives no advantage. This would be more like Brady wore his socks too high or something.More to the point, Brett didn't have some little system worked out that involved minions messing with the equipment after it was checked.
Allegedly.

Users who are viewing this thread